PDA

View Full Version : Days Go By Appreciation Thread!

Pages : [1] 2

brothadave79
06-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Post your thoughts and praises of the new album here. One thread makes it easier for the band to cycle through and see what fans think of the album.

I'll start by saying the energy on this album is incredible, more than I think since at least Americana, and this maybe even makes that album look sluggish in comparison. The lyrics are incredibly strong, and I wish I had the liner notes to follow along so I don't miss them all. Unlike RAFRAG, which was my favorite album since Ixnay, this album starts and finishes strong, which is great to see. Yes the album is front-loaded with more up-tempo tracks, but the "experiments" in the second half of the album are pretty successful and the 1-2 punch of Db0 and Slim Pickens is incredible. At the risk of sounding unappreciative of all the work the band put into this album, I honestly am already eager for album 10.

Americana98
06-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Stream:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/album-premiere-the-offspring-stretch-out-on-days-go-by-20120619

Leave your thoughts on their (VERY AWESOMELY FAST) new album here.

Chainsaw
06-19-2012, 10:38 AM
The Stream via Rolling Stone! thread already seems to serve that purpose. Now it'll get confusing because people will also post here :p.

Ristifer
06-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Haven't listened yet. I'm off to my buddy's place (we always listen to new Offspring releases together since he got me in to the band in '99) and we're going to have a mini listening party for ourselves before purchasing the album next week.

joshgenis
06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
so far i love it, im on "all i have left is you" to be honest its kind of annoying after all the fast paced stuff, i wish i could hate it but im too homo for dexters voice. he can read off the yellowpages and ill listen...

brothadave79
06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
The Stream via Rolling Stone! thread already seems to serve that purpose. Now it'll get confusing because people will also post here :p.

Well I figured this would be a better thread for the weeks to come than that one. ;)

Americana98
06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
So far I've loved every single song except Cruisin' California (which I liked well enough as a jokey single but it REALLY doesn't fit with the rest of the album, IMO) but I can't wait to hear the rest of it. So far I'm blown away.

the_real_potomek
06-19-2012, 10:43 AM
I already expressed my opinion about Days Go By in the other thread, but I'm gonna repeat that one just to make it clear: I love the album!:D

Dexter_italy
06-19-2012, 10:44 AM
yes it's worth repeating! fucking love it!

Chainsaw
06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Well I figured this would be a better thread for the weeks to come than that one. ;)

Fair enough.

This album is great!

Virtuoso
06-19-2012, 10:46 AM
I appreciate the album.
I can't really pick a favorite song yet, which is a good thing.

bighead384
06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Have you heard the new stuff? The Offspring are punk again. They might as well all have mohawks.

I mean, the new album has that drum beat a lot. *doot kat doot doot kat*

And they're singing about how fucked up society is and stuff.

This is important.

SåS
06-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Just the general "fuck it" ethic of the album makes them tru punx.
Along with the BOOM DA BOOM BOOM DA beats ;)

The Search Button
06-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Have you heard the new stuff? The Offspring are punk again. They might as well all have mohawks.

I mean, the new album has that drum beat a lot. *doot kat doot doot kat*

And they're singing about how fucked up society is and stuff.

This is important.

I noticed the inclusion of a certain key operated instrument though.

So that disqualifies them.

_Way_Down_the_Line_
06-19-2012, 10:59 AM
excellent , EPIC , so far one the better albums yet ! am out of words you guys ! I still can't believe they did such an amazing work, they are back, this is it, kicks ass, dexter da man ! slim pickens will be a world 1st class hit.

SåS
06-19-2012, 11:04 AM
I noticed the inclusion of a certain key operated instrument though.

So that disqualifies them.

No! Not even! Pennywise used pianos so it's still punk.

We can all sit here and individually discuss every song, which is something I've found myself doing for the last couple of albums, but I rather like to appreciate the whole album as an album, that I can play from start to finish and keep a consistent level of interest. That in itself is possibly the greatest thing about Days Go By.

Also, the intro riff for SFTU is so S/T!
THEY'RE ALL GOOD SONGS!!
Even CC!

All in all, bumpin' in my trunk/10.

the hitcher
06-19-2012, 11:06 AM
i think the albums brilliant and is only going too get better with evey listen.

nice one the offspring:cool:

Microwave Jellyfish
06-19-2012, 11:15 AM
So far I'm really-really happy with it. Still can't stand CC, but O.C. Guns and the new Dirty Magic (I was kinda afraid they would ruin it) are huge positive disappointments. Seems like DGB exceeded my expectations, a lot :)

The Search Button
06-19-2012, 11:18 AM
OC Guns.

Best stoned/drunk song eva?

GamerKT
06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I actually appreciate CC a lot more now. Dexter was right about how much serious, rock shit was on here. After all that, fuckin' CC comes outta nowhere halfway through. In context, it's honestly really funny to me.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
06-19-2012, 11:23 AM
the new version of dirty magic is mind blowingly good. album as a whole is fucking SOLID. can't wait to buy it.

Microwave Jellyfish
06-19-2012, 11:28 AM
OC Guns.

Best stoned/drunk song eva?
Yeah, it sounds a bit like a chill-out Gorillaz song. That's the first thing that came to my mind, and I'm it's not a bad thing at all. I think it's actually one of my favorites from the bunch. But almost all of them are pretty good (I shall never mention CC again :))

ppronni
06-19-2012, 11:30 AM
After a couple of listens here's my track-by-track review:

- The Future Is Now: 9 - Very strong and powerful song, good lyrics. A couple of production issues, though (2:27). It is slower than when played live.
- Secrets From The Underground: 9,5 Love it, Trust in You with steroids, almost perfect.
- Days Go By: 5 It's just boring to me
- Turning Into You: 7 Not bad but I don't get hooked on it
- Hurting As One: 8,5 Love the way it reminds me to Something to Believe In. Very cool.
- Cruising California: 2 This should never have been here. It the band was looking for another Pretty Fly, this was a bad choice.
- All I Have Left Is You: 5,5 It's better than Kristy or Fix You but much worse than A Lot Like Me. Im sorry but i just think Dexter has no voice for slow ballads.
- OC Guns: 6,5 Surprisingly, i like it, and I think it could be a late single. But the last 3 songs together sort of kill the powerful vibe of the album. I love when Dexter says "cabrón".
- Dirty Magic: 9 Great song improved.
- Secret Family: 7 Another surprise, it's not a Spare me the details sort of song, it's much more powerful.
- Dividing By Zero: 9 Great fast, powerful tune
- Slim Pickens: 10 Just awesome. Lyrics, melodies, everything. Hope it'll be a single. Love it.

Overall: 8 It reminds me to Americana in terms of diversity and quality. Powerful beginning and ending, weaker middle part, but still a very pleasant surprise: It's definitely much better that everything they've done since 1998. My congratulations to the band.

brothadave79
06-19-2012, 11:34 AM

- The Future Is Now: 9 - Very strong and powerful song, good lyrics. A couple of production issues, though (2:27). It is slower than when played live.

I liked that break-up at 2:27 a lot. Sounded very 1984 dystopian stuff as if a broadcast was being broken up and cut off. Or like the Matrix, I guess, but I hate that shit.

offspringer24
06-19-2012, 11:46 AM
It's easily the best since CO1 - I am seriously impressed with this album, there is a proper Bob Rock / Metallica feel to one or two tracks which is fine and actually suits the lads down to the ground.

Put it this way, I will know all the words to the is entire album soon enough, something I just couldn't do with RAFRAG.

Great Album!

offspringer24
06-19-2012, 11:48 AM

- Secrets From The Underground: 9,5 Love it, Trust in You with steroids, almost perfect.
- Days Go By: 5 It's just boring to me
- Turning Into You: 7 Not bad but I don't get hooked on it
- Hurting As One: 8,5 Love the way it reminds me to Something to Believe In. Very cool.
- Cruising California: 2 This should have never have been here. It the band was looking for another Pretty Fly, this was a bad choice.
- All I Have Left Is You: 5,5 It's better than Kristy or Fix You but much worse than A Lot Like Me. Im sorry but i just think Dexter has no voice for slow ballads.
- OC Guns: 6,5 Surprisingly, i like it, and I think it could be a late single. But the last 3 songs together sort of kill the powerful vibe of the album. I love when Dexter says "cabrón".
- Dirty Magic: 9 Great song improved.
- Secret Family: 7 Another surprise, it's not a Spare me the details sort of song, it's much more powerful.
- Dividing By Zero: 9 Great fast, powerful tune
- Slim Pickens: 10 Just awesome. Lyrics, melodies, everything. Hope it'll be a single. Love it.

Overall: 8 It reminds me to Americana in terms of diversity and quality. Powerful beginning and ending, weaker middle part, but still a very pleasant surprise: It's definitely much better that everything they've done since 1998. My congratulations to the band.

Don't agree with all the ratings but great review :)

GamerKT
06-19-2012, 11:49 AM
I appreciate this album because my cat died yesterday and this makes me feel a lot better. It's a good thing that this album is pretty good.

RonWelty
06-19-2012, 11:59 AM
my ratings:

TFIN: 9-9.5. No need to comment how good it is.
SECRETS: for me around 6 6,5, with time might turn in a 7 7,5. sounds like a rise against song
DAYS GO BY: 7, nice message, nice guitar riff.
TURNING INTO YOU: 8-8.5, weezerlike intro?
CC: 1. Just because i like to say CALIIFOOORNIA. Awful.
HURTING AS ONE: this should be from SMASH. 9.
All i have left is you: 2/3. With time it might become a 4-6 like Fix you, but it needs to grow.
OC Guns: I thought I would hate this song. I don't. 8
Dirty Magic 2012: 10. 10. 10. 10 isn't enough. (0.23s to 0.28 creates multiple orgasms in me)
I wanna secret family with you: 7 7,5, this should be the pop single. I think it+s catchy, even if in some times it remembers me of katy perry style of singing in TGIF friday: 1:25 - 1:35s.
Dividing by zero: I get it+s a punk song, the chorus is strong. It could be from their first album. But it doesn't make it an absolute masterpiece. 6.5 / 7
slim pickens: 8-9.

ppronni
06-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Don't agree with all the ratings but great review :)
Thank you :) I really liked the album, some songs have me amazed.

I don't know
06-19-2012, 12:23 PM
this album is awesome, love it!
I just didn't like O.C. Guns, but that's because I don't like reggae stuff, so the reason is personal,it's not a bad song.

Llamas
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
So far I'm really-really happy with it. Still can't stand CC, but O.C. Guns and the new Dirty Magic (I was kinda afraid they would ruin it) are huge positive disappointments. Seems like DGB exceeded my expectations, a lot :)

What's a positive disappointment? lol

Edit: I'm gonna write my full review upon second listen. This album is AWESOME so far.

SåS
06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Did anybody notice how when the stream was first up, it had the wrong album art, they only changed it about an hour ago (I think?...)
It ruined the whole album for me and I can never listen to it again.

Mr.Nobody
06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
I can say, only having heard 3 song (AIHLIY,Slim pickens and /0 ) that this album is fuckin AWESOME. They have done an amazing work. I think that this album could be Very big... :rolleyes:
All I have left is you could be a movie song...

Tworons
06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Really very good one.Is growing up on me more that RAF did at the same time. Hammerhead would fit perfectly in DGB.

The end is just,amazing.How an album has to be closed!

Jesus
06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
The more I listen to this album, the more terrible the single choices appear. Next time they should just throw darts at the titles to decide the first single. The album has so much potential.

vionline
06-19-2012, 01:12 PM
uashuashsaushuashusahusahuas

This is the Offsprings worst album ive ever listened! hahahha
Future is now and Divided By Zero are great songs!

But why re-record Dirty Magic???????

"OC guns" is ridiculous.. uahuaha Can u imagine this song in a live concert??
Better not imagine.. uhashuashuashua

"All i have left" makes me laugh so much.. this squishy voice doesnt make me feel anything, Dexter! uhasuhashuas sounds like Wallflowers or sth... uhsahusa

Days go By is that shit... foo fighters stuff

But thanks for THE FUTURE IS NOW, DIVIDED BY ZERO and TURNING INTO YOU!

More 3 songs on my Ipod..

Dexter_italy
06-19-2012, 01:14 PM

This is the Offsprings worst album ive ever listened! hahahha
Future is now and Divided By Zero are great songs!

But why re-record Dirty Magic???????

"OC guns" is ridiculous.. uahuaha Can u imagine this song in a live concert??
Better not imagine.. uhashuashuashua

"All i have left" makes me laugh so much.. this squishy voice doesnt make me feel anything, Dexter! uhasuhashuas sounds like Wallflowers or sth... uhsahusa

Days go By is that shit... foo fighters stuff

But thanks for THE FUTURE IS NOW, DIVIDED BY ZERO and TURNING INTO YOU!

More 3 songs on my Ipod..

you could have spent your time so much better than registering here for this post...

TripleDK
06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
I just heard the album all the way through, and I almost cried because of how good it is :D:D:o

Loved every measure of every song, only downside was that it ended:rolleyes:

Chainsaw
06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
uashaushaua, some new thing on the webs?

vionline
06-19-2012, 01:19 PM
you could have spent your time so much better than registering here for this post...

Im sorry , but thats the truth, the NUMBER 1 FAN who loves every shit they do!

uhasuhsahusahu

dorkrockcorkrod
06-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Just listened to it. My opinion on it:

The Future is Now: Decent but not one of their best. The chorus sounds like the one in "Savior" by Rise Against, which has probably been mentioned several times before.

Secrets From The Underground: I like it! Very catchy, fun track, with the socially conscious lyrics of "Ignition" and "Smash". Sounds like a nice blending of the new and old. :)

Days Go By: A decent choice for a single but not something I'd listen to all the time.

Turning Into You: Don't really like the first 5 seconds with the drum machine effect, but after that it gets great! I like it. Another one that sounds like a blend of the old and new Offspring.

Hurting as One: Even better than TIY. One of my favorites on this album for sure! Classic Offspring, right down to the whoa oh ohs. ;)

Cruising California: The worst joke song they've done so far. It's just not that entertaining and I'd rather not listen to this again.

All I Have Left is You: Definitely better than the ballad-y songs on the last time. I like it, personally.

OC Guns: Sounds like a bad Sublime throwaway. Not as painful as CC, but still pretty terrible, in my opinion.

Dirty Magic: I like it - not as much as the original, but still a nice rerecording. Sounds better raw in my opinion, but hey, I'm glad it'll introduce newer fans to this incredible song.

I Wanna Secret Family (With You): Very fun song, THIS should have been the other single. Not CC. This has everything that's enjoyable about the more lighthearted side of Offspring IMO, it reminds me of Want You Bad.

Dividing by Zero: Fucking awesome! My favorite song on the album, personally. That middle eastern riff near the end kicks ass!

Slim Pickens: Also fucking awesome! This album really went out with a bang, that's for sure. Great chorus here! I imagine it'd be a lot of fun to sing along with at shows.

Overall, a solid album! I'd put it on the same level as Americana - a couple of stinkers, but a good one regardless. Better than CO1, Splinter, and especially RAFRAG (which I see as their worst) imo.

Dexter_italy
06-19-2012, 01:31 PM

uhasuhsahusahu

no that's your opinion. which is still welcome even whe useless. you have 3 new songs on you Ipod, some will have 12. bye

vionline
06-19-2012, 01:41 PM
no that's your opinion. which is still welcome even whe useless. you have 3 new songs on you Ipod, some will have 12. bye

GOOD FOR YOU, NUMBER 1 FAN!! ohhh PAUL!

Llamas
06-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Let me start off by saying the production on this album is VERY good. It's much, much better than on RFRG, and not as overly-crystal-shiny as CO1 and Splinter.

The Future is Now: 10/10
This song is awesome. The vocal harmonies are really well done... the riff is very, very cool and suited to the song... the melody is incredible, SO catchy in a good way. This song is very rich. The solo is really nice with the background singing... reminds me of Half Truism. And the keyboard breakdown with that little guitar riff over it is just ace. And it just leads back into the ending chorus so, so well. Plus, on top of all that, it's not typical Offspring - it's creative. It's a slight venture for them. And it works so, so well.

Secrets from the Underground 8/10
The intro is a bit odd, but I don't mind. This song is very modern Offspring, and could've fit on any of the last few albums, but it's also different. The melody and how Dexter sings it is interesting for them. It is typical (modern) Offspring, yet it's not. The bridge is also really, really nice.

Days Go By 6.5/10
As a few other people have said, this song works a lot better in context. It's kinda like Pretty Fly - that song kinda sucked for me on its own, but works in context, situated between Staring at the Sun and TKAA. I'm still not super into it, but it works on the album. I don't think I'll end up skipping this tune in the long run. Still, not a very good choice as a single to represent this album.

Turning Into You 8/10
This is the one that uses a drum loop? Cause it's not at all what I expected. This song is awesome. I really love the chorus, and the pre-chorus is awesome, with the staccato. The bridge with the light guitar is fabulous. Great rocker.

Hurting as One 9/10
FAST ROCKER I LOVE IT. This song reminds me of Ixnay, especially the whoas during the chorus. The chorus is simple, yet awesome. Which song is it that the chorus sounds like? Grr...

Cruising California no/10
No. Skip.

All I Have Left is You 7/10
Expected to hate this song. Actually like it. Way better than Kristy, better than Fix You, too. The verses are pretty boring, but the choruses are nice. I like that Dexter didn't write the chorus too high, so that his voice still fits. The latter half of the song is nice. I thought it seemed like it'd be too long - 5 minutes is a lot for a ballad - but it's not repetitive. They did a nice job on this one, and my rating could go up with more listens.

OC Guns wtf/10
Haha, this is ridiculous! I'm not gonna rate it yet because I really don't know how I feel about it yet... it strikes me as the Offspring actually succeeding at a joke song for the first time in ages. It's also the first reggae-ish song they've done that I can stomach. I dunno, I might give it a 7.5/10, but I'm really NOT sure. haha.

Dirty fucking Magic 10,000,000/10
Dude. Dude. There are no words. They took one of their best songs... and made it 10x better. I did not think it was possible. This is INCREDIBLE. Way bigger improvement than what they did with Beheaded. The original version is definitely going to become a nostalgia listen... this version is going to dominate my listens of DM. The beefed up intro is incredible. The backing vocals... yes. Very yes. The chorus just smacks you in the face over and over. Holy crap.

I Wanna Secret Family With You 5/10
This is the only song besides CC that I dislike. It's less awful than CC, but I don't like it. It's on the same crap level as songs like Want You Bad, Spare Me the Details, and Original Prankster. Songs I just don't like. Will get skipped. Boring, generic pop* song. Would've made a better single than CC, though, for sure. And even though I don't like it, it'd be a better single than DGB.

Dividing By Zero 9/10
Very, very S/T. I now hear that Tehran bit at the beginning - love it! This song is incredible. Awesome melodies, cool harmonies... rock, rock, rock - just what I seek the Offspring for! Guitar solo sounds nice here with Noodles hitting it right :D And the quick bridge works great. Excellent song. I did like it more in the live version, though... I think it would've been better less polished.

Slim Pickens 10/10
I seriously wonder if Dexter saw our thread about album closers and decided to try to throw in some new competition ;) This song is a blast. Great melody, and I adore the chorus. And these two songs definitely seam together perfectly.

Overall, pretty kick-ass album. Definitely could've lived without CC - an 11-song album would've been preferred to me ;) But that's okay. Loving this album!

dnjgh2006
06-19-2012, 01:45 PM
I have just signed for the forum to post my review. I am an old offspring fan and i have been very excited to listen the album. Points are out of ten.
The Future is now: 9
-One of the best songs of the album and it is much greater than the live version we've heard before. A pick slide before the choruses would be amazing.
Secrets From Underground: 9
-Classical pump up song like older albums. The offspring really know how to pump up people.
Days Go By: 6
-Unlike the other offspring stuff this song bores me. I am a huge punk rock fan so i didn't like this one. Altough it is good if we see it as an alternative rock song.
Turning into You: 7,5
-This is also good. Darker sound like Defy you. Dexter's voice is very good.
Hurting As One: 7
-As already said this sound like Something to believe in espically back vocals. Not bad but an average song!
Cruising California: 3
-This song should not be here. I understand dexter for trying to tell his hometown but this song is not even rock. Even pretty fly was better.
All i have left is you: 6
-Sounds like days go by a bit, more like alot like me. Its not offspring style. It's like nickelback etc.
OC Guns: 5
- I normally like ska music. Nofx, the offspring, reel big fish have great ska songs. I didn't like this one. It's more pop. But i liked spanish speaking dexter :D
I wanna secret family: 6
-Not bad but not very good. It's catchy and fun. Dexter's voice is overly autotuned :(
Dirty Magic: 8
-Well, i didn't expect as good as this one. Espicially chorus sound awesome. Back vocals and distorted guitar fits very well.
Dividing By Zero: 9,5
-Amazing Song!! Intro is great and punk rock riffs are also good. Chorus really pumps up me. Best of the record
Slim Pickens... : 8,5
Remind me Bon Jovi but more offspring style. Also sound like Dividing By Zero. I got it now the chorus sounds like "Have a Nice Day" by Bon Jovi.

I can definetly say Days Go By is way better than RAFRAG. But Dexter's voice is auto-tunes almost every song. Now i wonder which song sounds like Lightning Rod to Noodles.

Lupin
06-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Im loves every shit they do!

uhasuhsahusahu

What??!?!?!?

Ak ak AK!!!

ThunderPX
06-19-2012, 01:49 PM
What??!?!?!?

Ak ak AK!!!

He is loves every shit they do!

Fu fu fu fu!

vionline
06-19-2012, 01:51 PM
when i started to listen "All i have left is you" i thought: oh no, "Fix You" again!? uhsahusahusaahsidouhasoiudahsodi

:D

Llamas
06-19-2012, 01:59 PM
when i started to listen "All i have left is you" i thought: oh no, "Fix You" again!? uhsahusahusaahsidouhasoiudahsodi

:D

I feel bad for you... your hearing must really suck if you think those two songs sound the same...

danitanev
06-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Very nice album with some really great songs - like The Future Is Now, Secrets From The Underground, Dividing By Zero, Dirty Magic, Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell and the others are very good too - I love the Album and The Offspring - they never dissapoint me!

manu85xxx
06-19-2012, 02:10 PM
In my opinion is not a sin to put some singles in an offspring album.

Personally, i can say that without pretty fly many italian people of my generation didn't know what punkrock is.
A single put people to open his mind to different style, then having the album will be possible to know the real sound and so will be also possible to look back on the background looking for the origins and the other reality in a style of music.

Probably i will skip OC guns , days go by, and All i got left is you.Many other will skip also CC.Good to have 8 songs left.Very good to have 4-6 good singles that will help the album on the radio.

In '90 radio played many hardrock , grunge,punk, metal songs.Now, speaking about italy, is over.On air Only lady gaga & co.Having some troy horse to put on air is good to change something.

vionline
06-19-2012, 02:22 PM
oh, god... I love so much Ixnay on the Hombre!

ThunderPX
06-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Hey, you know what, if some random person actually likes Cruising California because it sounds like other crappy radio songs and buys the album based on it... I want their reaction filmed. That is all.

hshduppsnt
06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
ok. i caved. holy hell that is a good album! Reminds me a lot of Ixnay haha.

oh and new Dirty Magic? Awesome! Soooo awesome!

manu85xxx
06-19-2012, 02:44 PM
I took americana when i was 14, for pretty fly and tkaa, hear have you ever went so great!

Who will take the album for CC will have a surprise and probably will change his "religion" :-)

XYlophonetreeZ
06-19-2012, 02:44 PM
OK, here are my track reviews.

The Future is Now: It's not a hell of a lot different from the live version except for the piano, which works quite well. I was kind of hoping that the backing vocals that we heard on that newest live video would be more prominent, but I can still hear them and they sound good anyway. A really strong song. It's true to their punk roots, but it's also got a lot more going for it, which is exactly what I always want to hear from these guys. These are probably Dexter's best lyrics in a long time. It's easy to see why he was eager to share them with the boards.

Secrets from the Underground: The transition between "The Future is Now" and this song is pretty funky but I like it. It's clear that they set out to start the album (and finish it, but we'll get to that) with a one-two punch of punk. Right off the bat, I thought that the guitar riff reminded me of "The Kids Aren't Alright," but there's so much else going on in the song that I forget all about that a minute in. There's more piano here, though far more subtle that complements the fast punk in an original way. Both here and in the previous song, they let the guitar notes ring throughout the verses, which is something sort of new for them. The lyrics claim "This is not an anthem," but damn, it sounds like one. Very powerful song that also boasts the most shamelessly rockin' solo found in an Offspring song in quite some time.

Days Go By: This was a weak choice for a single, as many have pointed out. There's not much new to say about it, but it actually does fit better on the album. The previous two songs are obviously quicker-paced, but this still keeps a certain flow in the album, and the guitar work is pretty good at least. It's a reworked song (from "You Will Find a Way") and you can kind of tell because it sounds a bit bland and watered down, like it wasn't an organic idea. I'm still not nuts about this song, but I don't feel as though it brings the album down.

Turning Into You: The drum beat here reminds me of something that would sound at home on Ignition, and there's a neat effect on the guitar. It sounds a little Rise Against-y, but not like a ripoff of any particular song. This is sort of the opposite of most Offspring songs: usually they have a simple structure without much layering, and they don't reinvent the wheel with their guitar and drum parts, but they make up for it with great melodies and hooks. This song, on the other hand, has some interestingly layered sounds and a rather forgettable melody. I've listened to it 4-5 times and I can't remember what the chorus sounds like. It's alright, but not a standout for me.

Hurting As One: I guess when Noodles tweeted that this song "kind of reminds him of 'Something to Believe In,'" he meant "the chorus is a complete and total re-tread of 'Something to Believe In.'" They've done similar things with "Dirty Magic"/"Have You Ever" and "Genocide"/"Change the World." I'm not sure if this song retains its own identity quite as well as all of those do, but perhaps that's just because I haven't listened to it quite as much and it isn't yet embedded in my brain. And by the way, the drums in this song are fucking awesome. Pretty good vocal harmonies too. This is definitely a solid kind of short punk-ish song that they've always had interspersed throughout their albums.

Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk): In this grandiose 3.5 minute long homage to the golden state, esteemed songsmith Dexter Holland coalesces disparate styles in a way not readily comparable to any sonic atmosphere attained since the last 3 minutes of "Hey Jude." They range from unabashed post-Timbaland pop, to hip-hop verses with a flow rivaling that of Tupac Shakur or Soulja Boy. When listening to this masterpiece, one will surely feel lifted to a sensual Shangri-La of white sand and palm trees, while the cryptic line "bump that trunk" is so mystical that one might shed a single tear while pondering its meaning, a question that will surely plague the foremost philosophers of our time. Some may even find its complex, poetic lyrics rather pedantic, but these people are unfortunate plebeians who still think Greg Graffin is "pretty deep."

All I Have Left Is You: Wow, this one surprised me. Sure, it's a little cheesy, but it's cheesy in a Peter Gabriel, "it's OK to be cheesy" kind of way. I had this weird feeling like they were going to throw some African chant in there somewhere, but I think I'm glad they didn't. It was great to hear them really succeed at a slower song. I love "Denial, Revisited," but that was more of a moderately slow song. After two fairly weak efforts at writing slow songs on RFRG, this was more than welcome. I genuinely did not expect the heavy guitars in the chorus. This is a total standout for me. Definitely one of my early favorite tracks.

OC Guns: OK, I knew I'd either love or hate this song based on the descriptions, and it's definitely closer to the latter. It started out promising enough with Greg's neato bass groove, and the trumpet part wasn't terrible. But then... ugh. That "shoot him in the back" voice was one of those things where I had to wonder "How could they have possibly been satisfied with this finished product?" And then the scratching was pretty cringeworthy as well. Being extremely repetitive also certainly doesn't do this song any favors.

Dirty Magic: Obviously, it's natural to be nervous when a band announces that they're remaking a song that was already great. That's how I felt. But I think this could be the greatest triumph of the record, actually. They fucking killed this! It's more powerful, with extra guitar parts and an overall beefier sound. It gives this song more of an Offspring treatment, so it sounds less like a Nirvana outtake than the original did. I never thought I'd say this, but the old version may actually sound boring to me someday after hearing this. I'd also like to applaud the band for brilliantly placing this song after the most extreme 3-song departure they've ever done. Right when they're at risk for alienating their hardcore fans, knock them on their ass with this. Brilliant.

I Wanna Secret Family (With You): Hot damn, this shit is catchy. When they first talked about it, I thought the subject sounded so stupid (and I kept thinking of John Edwards) that I was least excited for this out of any songs on the album. But this is more what I have in mind when I think of pop songs a la Offspring, as opposed to something like "Cruising California." I never thought I'd hear Dexter scream "Doot-DOO doo-DOO-doo-DOO-doo DOO!!" in a song. This song is fun and I can't help but to like it a lot. Of course, the only thing frustrating about this song is that it's yet another reason why "CC (BIMT)" should have never existed. If they felt like they needed a pop single, this should have been it.

Dividing By Zero: Much like "All I Have Left Is You" was the ballad they tried and failed to attain with "Fix You," this is the genuine throwback to their old sound that they tried and failed to attain with "Da Hui." I didn't catch from the live performance of this song, how much the intro reminds me of "Tehran." This song has a good headbanging, driving energy to it and is good as a simplistic punk song. I dig some of that type of music and this is no different. As I said in the other thread, my only criticism is the solo, as I think it's by far the most unimaginative Middle Eastern riff they've ever used in a song.

Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell: "Pay the Man" was so goddamned awesome that it cursed the Offspring. I'm certain of this. Now, they will never write a truly awesome closer again. Don't get me wrong, this song is alright, but I don't get why some are saying it's a standout. And I'd definitely take it over "Conspiracy of One," "Rise and Fall," or "When You're in Motherfucking Prison" (what were they thinking with that last one?). This is a really drum-driven song with a solid beat, but it seems almost too simple, and not in a way that begets thrill and energy like the previous track. It does actually end the album decently, but I wish it was more epic.

Overall, I'd give it a solid 3.5/5. I think there's tons more emotion here than there was on RFRG. Tons. And apart from a couple of blemishes (Cruising California and OC Guns), there's not a whole lot that I didn't enjoy. Yeah, there's a little more of a Rise Against feel in some songs, but there's nothing that you could call a blatant copy of anything. The structure of the album, I thought, was really similar to CO1. Begin and end with fast-paced punk, and stick all of the departures in the middle. Of course, the departures on this album are about 5x more extreme than those on CO1, and in hindsight it seems like only the douchiest punk purists would ever call "Living in Chaos," "Special Delivery," and "One Fine Day" departures, but that's more or less how they were viewed at the time. I'm definitely going to buy the physical copy of this album, and I'm stoked to read the lyrics. From what I can make out, most of them sound like Dexter has elevated his lyrical standards.

Best tracks:
The Future is Now
Secrets from the Underground
All I Have Left Is You
Dividing By Zero
and of course, Dirty Magic

brothadave79
06-19-2012, 02:50 PM
OC Guns had me at "Fi-ya con Dios." (1:45)

joshgenis
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
best way to describe this is there are A LOT more songs off this album that i will be repeating constantly. RAFRG half the album i never listen to. This is definitely a more complete album

Coming_out_to_play
06-19-2012, 03:23 PM
"I'm not gonna go away, I've got something more to say"

This line in Secrets from the Underground perfectly captures where The Offspring is with this album. I honestly did not expect them to put out such a well rounded, cohesive, emotion-laden album at this stage in their careers. I'm flat out impressed. They can still rock, and they're damn well going to.

Rooster
06-19-2012, 03:24 PM
I can't describe how much I love this album. All my hopes came true, but in a much better way that I thought they would. Cruising California can be forgiven. This is the best punk rock (yes, I still call it punk) I have heard in years. Deffinitely best album since Americana, no question about that! All hail The Offspring! :D

Seriously, I'm blown away :)

the_real_potomek
06-19-2012, 03:29 PM
I find it so awesome that so many people like the new album so much:)

RonWelty
06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
I find it so awesome that so many people like the new album so much:)

because they finally put a lot of effort. they can do this and much more if they want.

DMelges
06-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Well my fellow Offspringers, here's my review. First of all let me express how happy I am that we are finally in this moment!

The Future Is Now: Very powerful song. Probably the best written song, but not my favorite.

Secrets From The Underground: This song is awesome! Fast punk, incredible lyrics and great vibe in general. Love the melody.

Days Go By: Very weak song compared to the others. When I first heard it, thought it was great and strong, but in comparison with the others, falls flat.

Turning Into You: This song really reminds me of Rise Against. No, not in a rip off kind of way, but simply has the same style as RA. Trust In You on steroids as someone mentioned.

Hurting As One: This one really reminds me of Bad Religion. You can really hear the influence in the verses, but the chorus totally reminds me of Something To Believe In.

Cruising California: Weakest song on the album without a doubt, but IMO still fun enough to have a laugh. Not respectable near the others though.

All I Have Left Is You: I like this one. Dexter sounds great with his low notes, and the song is much better than Fix You.

OC Guns: This is probably the song I least like. Not to say I don't like it, I just don't like it as much. I think it's missing a strong rock chorus, as opossed to sticking all the time with reggae. This song is a perfect mix of Gorillaz and Worst Hangover Ever.

Dirty Magic: WOW. The really blew this one of the park. Great job. Takes a while to get used to (being accostumed to the old version), but it's great.

Secret Family: This song is so much fun! That kind of melody that you could swear you've heard before, and just a really fun song.

Dividing By Zero: Powerful! Very powerful!

Slim Pickens: Great finisher. Love the theme, love the melody, love my new slogan "dance fucker dance let the motherfucker burn" I'm glad they thought of bringing back the "dance fucker dance".

Overall, a truely amazing album. I'm so glad that it turned out the way it did. And I'm also very glad that everyone seems to be really enjoying it. This is great.

One thing that I think is worth is mentioning is how different these songs are! I mean if these songs were playing on the radio, I'd have no idea it's The Offspring. They experiment alot on this record. Not you're typical fast punk songs, written just well enough to get the crowd jumping, but actually musically very well written.

It is in fact a very dark album, the mood gets lighter on it's way up but overall very dark and powerful.

I really really love it. :D

EDIT: The DRUMS. Oh my god the drums! Finally an Offspring album with more creative drumming! really glad about that.

mat.kc.
06-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I am absolutely floored by this album. This is one of the best albums EVER. Secrets From The Underground and Dividing By Zero are genius. I'm shocked that these two weren't the singles to come out of this album, honestly. I am blown away. The Offspring have done it again. Not a single "skip" track on this record. OC Guns is a ton of fun and will be my "chilling out" song with the bros. BRAVO! 10 out of 10 in my books. I will be blasting this gem for years to come. What an amazing early birthday present!!!

momo91
06-19-2012, 03:44 PM
I think we should all agree on the fact that this is an EXTREME album.
The punk stuff really rocks but experimentations are really different than usual Offspring.

I'm lovin it.

Sara MZK
06-19-2012, 03:44 PM
I've just finished listening to the album for the first time! Here is my mini track-by-track review: :)

1. The Future Is Now Absolutely killer start to the album! The melodies are just awesome, and the song has such energy. Deserves to be a setlist staple from now on! The only thing that prevents me from giving this song a 10, is when Noodles starts playing what appears to be the start of a great solo actually turns out to be the full solo! Anti-climactic... :( But still an amazing song overall! 9.5/10

2. Secrets From The Underground Sounds like their older punk style, mixed with a more stadium rock sound, which works really well! The chorus is very good, and the song is elevated by a great solo by Noodles! 8.5/10

3. Days Go By This song definitely works far better in a full album context, and it's alt rock leanings are certainly very different for The Offspring, but the song has grown on me a lot since I first heard it, and I actually think it's quite great! I don't like the fade out ending though... the way they end the song live is far better. Still, this is far the superior of the two singles released before the album's release. xD 8.9/10

4. Turning Into You My joint favourite track on the album. I have a horrible feeling, this one is going to end up like other neglected emotive songs such as Lightning Rod and Race Against Myself, and will never be or rarely played live. The intro melody is amazing, and incredibly infectious, the fast paced drums in the verses add an air of tension to the song, which leads into a massive chorus which is accentuated by perfectly placed "Hey!'s" which had me singing along to it even during my first listen! Just a fantastic song on every level, and it's already one of my all time fave Offspring songs! xD 10/10

5. Hurting As One This one sounds like a mix of "Smash" era Offspring, with their more modern leanings of the last few albums. The chorus and first half of the verses are especially "Smash" like, with those classic "woah ohs" especially evoking the spirit of that album. The mid-section is where the modern leanings rear their heads, but it helps the track to simmer, and it takes off again with that amazing chorus at the end. Yet another stunning track from this album! 9/10

6. Cruising California After an absolutely storming start to the album which made my jaw drop, this terrible song just sounds even worse than I originally thought, and also sounds very out of place. They have done some great and classic humourous songs in the past like WDYGAJ? and The Worst Hangover Ever, but this is certainly far off that quality. Just an awful song, and one I'll forever skip whilst playing this album in the future. A mistake... :( 3/10

7. All I Have Left Is You This is pure soft alt rock of the type they started doing on the last album, and it's quite decent if nothing mindblowing. Compared to the previous track it is gold, and I like the calypso guitar sounds in parts of the song, but it definitely pales in comparison to A Lot Like Me from the previous album. (which remains the only amazing song they've made in this soft alt rock style) The only truly great part of the song is the solo... 7.0

9. OC Guns Another weird, humorous type song. It's much better than CC, and is a strange blend of mexican, reggae, and hip-hop music. The Mariachi trumpet is what really elevates this song, and the chorus is great too. But the "ticky, ticky, ticky" lyrics part is annoying and sounds like a blackboard being scraped! Overall, a very decent song though! 8.0

10. Dirty Magic Obviously, any true Offspring fan is already well aqquainted with this song already, but this re-recording has a more otherworldly, ethereal feel than the original, which has a rawer, darker sound. It's a great song in either incarnation though, and I love this new version too! 9.5

11. I Wanna Secret Family With You Absolutely ludicrous, and foolish lyrics, but it's a fun song, and the chorus is definitely catchy! The bouncy guitars here are very nice! It's hardly a classic, but it's decent enough! hehe :) 7.5

12. Dividing By Zero My joint favourite song on the album along with Turning Into You. This one is absolutely ferocious, and the type of frenetic punk that they sadly play so rarely. The chorus is wonderful, and the riffs are scathing, with that eastern musical twist that has long been a hallmark of their sound. The short solo reminds me of Pay The Man, a nice nod to that great song! This song is a total killer, and I'd certainly lose myself if they played this at an Offspring gig attended by me! Amazing stuff! 10/10

13. Slim Pickins This has that pure classic Offspring sound, and again, is more reminiscent of albums like "Smash" and "Ixnay" than their later stuff. I love the "hey!'s" and the "dance fucker dance, let the motherfucker burn!" refrain is just awesome! Great end to the album! 9.5/10

I have to admit, I feared the worst when I first heard CC, but I should have known better than to doubt Dexter and the boys! There are certainly moments when the album falters and loses momentum, but overall, this is a great album, and is probably their best overall collection of songs since Conspiracy Of One. xD

hshduppsnt
06-19-2012, 03:46 PM
seriously last album I was in awe of how good the first half was and actually I still like the second half as a real unique departure from their normal style and for a long time I listened to the latter half pretty heavily (I'm sure by next album I'll come back and talk about how i skip the middle of this album?) but for now this album top to bottom seems to be one of the most complete things they've done in a long time.

This may rate up there with Ixnay for me in terms of a BUNCH of solid songs and a few epically awesome songs.

There are really only two that I debate between and that's OC Guns and CC and ironically when listening to the album I think CC fits better hahaha that said the thing I have always appreciated and I think this album does perfectly is bands that experiment with new styles (if I want to listen to Ignition, I'll listen to Ignition). That said experimenting has to have a purpose and you have to keep what made you who you are and I think that's this album.

hahaha I've been listening to this while working and have had the biggest grin on my face the whole time

joshgenis
06-19-2012, 04:01 PM
anyone else think that the 2 singles were some of the weaker songs off of the album? they did not do it justice

mat.kc.
06-19-2012, 04:05 PM
anyone else think that the 2 singles were some of the weaker songs off of the album? they did not do it justice

I agree with you 100%. I actually think the two singles are the two weakest tracks. It's as if they give the casual radio listener something to hear while at work, but if a hardcore fan goes and picks up the album, they're in for an incredible treat. Perhaps this was intentional?

Sara MZK
06-19-2012, 04:06 PM
I initially didn't think much to the title track, but it has grown on me, and it sounds a lot better in the context of the whole album. Whereas CC sounds even worse in the context of the album, and is easily the worst song on it...

Leandro
06-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Two words: Fucking awesome!

Diva
06-19-2012, 04:30 PM
This album is simply amazing! Every song is different from the next! During my first listen through the album I just sat in awe! :) It is safe to say that I am in LOVE with the new album!!!

bouncingcoles
06-19-2012, 04:39 PM
I think its way better than splinter and RAFRAG! I

bd007h
06-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Dance fucker dance, let the motherfucker burn!

That is all

Tomasisko
06-19-2012, 05:40 PM
not a surprise, but little bit better than RAFRAG, which I think is the worst album.

Best Song: OC Guns
Like: The Future Is Now, Hurting As One, I Wanna Secret Family, Dividing By Zero, Slim Pickens
Average: Secrets From The Underground, Cruising California (yeah really... it's so fucking catchy), Dirty Magic
Don't like: Days Go By, Turning Into You, All I have Left Is You.

D0NT
06-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Its Beautifull. kick's RFRG's ass.

Best one might be %by0 . Thank ou The Offspring for your healing rock music, youre still a punk band!

Dexter cursing in spanish in OC Guns, even saying Guero whic is mexican slang for Blonde.

Most of the album is awesome, California stands alone as a bizarre pop parody along this album in my opinion.

Im thrilled with it, like they love to say Im f*cking stoked:D

NoGuessing
06-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Listening right now.

<3

NoGuessing
06-19-2012, 06:35 PM
OC Guns just started, and I've gotta say it's such a druggie song.

TheOldMark
06-19-2012, 06:49 PM
This record is really solid, really well put together.

Although I have to say, my most common reaction to many songs was "haha what? really?" Some of its a little out there, even for them.

Off the bat, without breaking it down into best categories, im gonna say the last two songs, Diving By Zero and Slim Pickings are probably the best songs.

I liked some of the throwbacks, particularly there seems to be alot of ixnay rifts. I like that, but Im trying to decide if fits or if its just crammed in there... Ill get back to you.

It did sound like they were trying to hard to be artsy. And like, I heard a little too much U2 Foo Fighterness. However, in the grand scheme of things, this seems like a natural progression for the band.

After years of begging, we finally got Dirty Magic rerecorded, worth the wait! I'll always say the original is better out of nostalgia, but WOW! I love it! Lots of bands rerecord songs, but how many do it 20 years later? I can't express how happy I am about this. :D

I like the direction Dexter went on the overall theme, I get it. Its well thought out and well put together, its (sometimes) mature yet still very much in their style.

This is worth $12

Its an A+ :D

Leonardo
06-19-2012, 06:51 PM
I want "all i have left is you" lyrics, its awesome song >.<!

KTILLA23
06-19-2012, 07:02 PM
I want "all i have left is you" lyrics, its awesome song >.<!

Same here!

effreyj
06-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Here's my review:

TFIN - 10/10 This is my favorite song on the album, and may crack the list of my favorite Offspring songs over time. I love the intro, the lyrics, and the change of pace in the middle of the song.
SFTU - 9/10 I love Dexter's voice in this song and I also love the pacing. To me, this song is much better than Trust In You, which I think is overrated.
DGB - 7/10 This song is fine, just not a standout. It's got a catchy chorus, which is why they chose it as a single. I think it sounds better in the context of the album than it does on its own.
TIY - 7/10 This one's pretty good, but not really a standout. I don't love the beginning of it, but it's decent overall.
HA1 - 8/10 I agree that it reminds me of Something to Believe In and seems like it could be on Smash. Another song that I love the lyrics in, maybe more than the music, which is also good.
CC - 6/10 It's a silly, change of pace song. I just don't like that it's a single and is getting as much publicity as it is...
AIHLIY - 7/10 I happen to really like Fix You, but I don't think this song is quite as good. It sounds more like a pop song to me than Fix You does. I don't like what they did to Dexter's voice at the beginning of the song, but it gets better as it goes on.
OCG - 1/10 This has surpassed Worst Hangover Ever as my least favorite Offspring song of all time. I can't stand it and feel like an idiot listening to it.
Dirty Magic - 7/10 The Ignition version of Dirty Magic is my 3rd favorite Offspring song of all time behind Gone Away and Bad Habit, but I'm just not feeling it with this one. They overproduced it in my opinion. I like the old one as a grunge ballad, whereas they made this one into a mid-paced rock song.
Secret Family - 8/10I rather enjoy this song. I like a lot of 60's and 70's pop rock, and this song reminds of that. I also love how it's very pleasant and happy right before the very serious ending to the album.
D/0 and Slim Pickins- 10/10 I feel like I have to rate these as one song. I'm going to have to combine them into one MP3, because I don't think you can listen to one without the other. These songs rock, and are what the Offspring are all about. The lyrics and pacing are great, and I think together they are in the top Offspring songs of all time. Definitely the best end of any Offspring album.

Overall, I really like the album. RAFRAG is one of my favorite Offspring albums, and I think that this surpasses that. It has a lot of energy and great lyrics. Other than OC Guns, I don't see myself skipping any of the tracks when they come up on shuffle. I'm a little disappointed by Dirty Magic, but it's more because of how great the original is than anything else.

Overall Score: 8.5

NoGuessing
06-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Man, I've wanted The Offspring to incorporate more melody, more "grace" if you will, into the rage of their albums for a long long time.

And they've done it. Four of the first five songs are perfect.:) Then there's the even more experimental second half. :)

DBG, CC and Secret Family are really jarring in context of the album for me. I think it's the shiny newness of the rest of the songs though that's the problem.

TheJakes84
06-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Down with Days Go By and looking forward on the next one aka 10th cd. :D :cool:

Outerspaceman21
06-19-2012, 08:32 PM
only track I don't like is CC. Other than that, this album is pretty golden for me. DGB is alright, OC Gun is really catchy and Secret Family is kind of a guilty pleasure. It's a better "joke" track than what they were trying with CC.

Hairlip
06-19-2012, 08:47 PM
"I'm not gonna go away, I've got something more to say"

This line in Secrets from the Underground perfectly captures where The Offspring is with this album. I honestly did not expect them to put out such a well rounded, cohesive, emotion-laden album at this stage in their careers. I'm flat out impressed. They can still rock, and they're damn well going to.

Beautifully said... I love the whole CD... have it ordered... think the diversity is great!!

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-19-2012, 09:06 PM
I appreciate this album because my cat died yesterday and this makes me feel a lot better. It's a good thing that this album is pretty good.
I send you my condolences in regards to your cat. They aren't the most loving pets, but it's terribly sad nonetheless.

What's a positive disappointment? lol

My question exactly

uahuaha
uhashuashuashua
uhasuhashuas
uhsahusa

uhsahusahusaahsidouhasoiudahsodi

???

Cruising California no/10

OC Guns wtf/10

Dirty fucking Magic 10,000,000/10

Best ratings ever.

Hey, you know what, if some random person actually likes Cruising California because it sounds like other crappy radio songs and buys the album based on it... I want their reaction filmed. That is all.
This^

Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk): In this grandiose 3.5 minute long homage to the golden state, esteemed songsmith Dexter Holland coalesces disparate styles in a way not readily comparable to any sonic atmosphere attained since the last 3 minutes of "Hey Jude." They range from unabashed post-Timbaland pop, to hip-hop verses with a flow rivaling that of Tupac Shakur or Soulja Boy. When listening to this masterpiece, one will surely feel lifted to a sensual Shangri-La of white sand and palm trees, while the cryptic line "bump that trunk" is so mystical that one might shed a single tear while pondering its meaning, a question that will surely plague the foremost philosophers of our time. Some may even find its complex, poetic lyrics rather pedantic, but these people are unfortunate plebeians who still think Greg Graffin is "pretty deep."

This is definitely the best review for CC that we'll ever see.

First of all, I'd like to say THANK YOU OFFSPRING. I love the album. I love it. I'll do my track-by-track review in a couple days after I listen to it more. I love it.

I love the first 5 tracks (excluding DGB) and LOVE the last two tracks. The only song I don't like is CC. I even like I Wanna Have A Secret Family (With You). It's catchy and slightly better that WDYGAJ? in my opinion.

Man I love this album. Thank you Offspring. You guys are my favorite band for a reason.

I'll do a well constructed review later. I have been calming down for a few hours now and I'm still ecstatic.

GamerKT
06-19-2012, 09:17 PM
I send you my condolences in regards to your cat. They aren't the most loving pets, but it's terribly sad nonetheless.

Thanks, man. Greatly appreciated.

This is definitely the best review for CC that we'll ever see.

I know. I wanted to make it my signature, but it was too long...

Eskimo
06-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Okay, I have the willpower of a 3 year old retarded chimpanzee. Caved. :( The fact it was apparently a high-quality stream kicked my ass, had to submit to the radness.

Holy...holy SHIT.

Bleep blorp meep meep, kwa ho chi baaa.

Really, REALLY fucking impressed. This thing is nuts! I can see how there are one or two instances where people are kind of "what the hell?", but to me it's in a good way. Even OC Guns, something like that doesn't hurt interspersed with the traditional-awesome. I thought it was funny, the goofiness contrasted with the lyrics.

It's hard to explain the more "core" stuff on this, it's some weird mix between Conspiracy and Ixnay, only way more "modern" than Ixnay and way less shallow-pissed-off-13-year-old than Conspiracy.

I kind of feel bad admitting I'd pretty much lost any major expectations for the band in the last 10 years, despite enjoying about half of RAFRAG a whole lot.

But this is something else. Thanks a bunch, Dex, Noodles, Gregasaurus, Petey P. :) Best Offspring disc in forever, and that's not just 'cause it's new.

jacknife737
06-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Overall, i'm very, very, very pleased with the way the majority of the album turned out. I think i actually prefer it over RAFRAG, which is surprising considering i dug that album quite a bit. The album has a solid opening, and fantastic finish. The middle gets bogged down with the weaker tracks and that does seem to impact the 'flow' of the record: but that is forgivable due to the sheer awesomeness of the more "punk" songs. Dexters vocals sound pretty strong.

I'd say this is probably my favorite thing the band has written since Americana: but i'll have to wait for the novelty of the "newness" to wear off.

Future Is Now - The studio version turned out a lot differently than how it initially sounded live: really dig the piano part in the middle.

Secrets from the Underground - Love the chorus a lot: could see this one eventually becoming my favorite.

Days Go By - One of the weaker tracks on the album, but not a bad song by any stretch.

Turning into You - Chorus is really catchy as well: i dig.

Hurting As One - Really like Dexter's vocals on this one.

Crusing California - meh

All I Have Left Is You - Ah, the mid tempo ballad; not exactly my favorite song on the album, but i like it a lot better than say something like "Fix You". I will say that i do enjoy Dexter's vocals on this quite a bit.

OC Guns - not a fan of the "shoot em in the back" and the "tikitikitiki"parts: but that bass line is killer, and the horns fit in well with it. Will have to give this one more time i think.

Dirty Magic - Dig the changes: the song seems like it has a bit more "depth" to it.

I Wanna Secret Family - Catchy pop music done right: should have been the alternative single to Days Go By instead of Crusing California.

Dividing By Zero - Punk as fuck: its like they opened it up from a time capsule from their Epitaph years.

Slim Pickens - My favorite from the album, and arguably one of the strongest songs the band has written in recent memory. By far one of the bands best lyrical efforts to date.

SMASHedTHEignition
06-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Love the future is now probably the most! I Also like turning into you quite a lot, and obviously slim pickens. Theyre all great tracks. Dirty magic is good, but i was a little disappointed to hear that they used the added lines " dont wanna" pull the shades, etc. Been blarin the album since i found the stream, good shit, love it dude.

Sara MZK
06-19-2012, 11:45 PM
To the people saying Turning Into You sounds like Ready To Fall by Rise Against.... it doesn't at all!. It's in the same genre of music, but the songs sound very different, not even close to sounding the same, let alone being a rip off! lol

Hey Man Where's Everybody
06-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Fun album. I can't wait 'til it comes out so I can re-track it in iTunes and replace "Cruising California" with something more tolerable, like a 3-minute recording of my dog farting after eating a giant block of cheese.

disclaimer_07
06-20-2012, 12:46 AM
To the people saying Turning Into You sounds like Ready To Fall by Rise Against.... it doesn't at all!. It's in the same genre of music, but the songs sound very different, not even close to sounding the same, let alone being a rip off! lol
Yeah, I'd just say that some of the songs sound a bit riseagainst-ish. But I love the fact that the record is more like Rise Against in style and much further from Green Day this time. :D

TheNooseIsFalling
06-20-2012, 01:03 AM
I don't know about you guys but right now I think this actually may be my new favorite album. It is perfect, not a single disappointment, and everything turned out even better than I expected. If I'm honest, when they played the first version of DGB I was a bit scared but luckily that song turned out great, and the whole album is nothing like that. I'd say my favorites are Slim Pickens (the lyrics, and the those vocal melodies, Dexter's a genius), Secrets from the Underground (best chorus ever), Dirty Magic, OC Guns etc. I LOVE IT!

Rooster
06-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I said to myself that I'll stop furiously denying when there's some similarity in the songs, and Turning Into You does remind me of Ready to Fall. But not in the "oh, it's a ripoff" way, just some of the parts are similar. So what, this is nothing new in music, far from it, and I'm ok with that. Besides, it's an excellent song :)

The Future Is Now doesn't seem as rise Against-ish anymore to me though. Perfect album opener!

Huut
06-20-2012, 01:25 AM
So… listened to the album like 4 times now. ( how do I got it? Yeah …..don't worry I already preorderd en payed for it, I'm a big fan , otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum )

But anywhay, I really like it. I feel that it's what more balanced than RAFRG. For me that albulm as a whole never really grown on me because I really feel like the first half is one of the greatest things they ever did, en the second half was to much of a the same. Great Offspring songs, but more the kind of songs you expect one or two in the middle of the "harder" punkier songs.

But this record, I really like to listen to it form beginning to end ( just like all my other Offspring albums :) ).
I even like Day's go by and Cruising California more now, cause they brake down the paste a little between the fast en " stronger " songs.

Really like the Bob Rock production again also ( but yeah I'm a fan ) .

In general. I LIKE IT!. Now it's just wait and see how I feel in one year :p

killboybowerhead
06-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Ready to fall? I hear good left undone if anything. But that is digger to deep.. The turning into you kinda sounds like all because of you in that song. sorta.. like played backwards. anyway don't really care for that song. I think the sample helps.. keeps it surprising throughout the song.

NoGuessing
06-20-2012, 01:35 AM
That's because a lot of Rise Against songs follow the same formula. I'm a big fan, but they're pretty good at recycling their best stuff.

Hypodermic_89
06-20-2012, 01:40 AM
I knew this album was gonna rock. I did not lose hope after hearing CC, because I'm not an idiot. This album is simply wonderful. It's so new and different, yet it pays homage to the old days.

Starting with The Future is Now.

This song fantastic. I love the energy, the lyrics, and the piano part is a very nice touch. The lyrics are very good, very poetic, and they tell a pretty bleak story of the world we live in. 9/10.

Secrets From The Underground.
Intro makes me think of Ignition. Instant boner. Then the kickass riff comes in, then we get to the verse. Great lyrics as always, melody is great. The chorus is very catchy, in-your-face, and it sends a positive message. 8/10.

Days Go By.
Another song with a positive message. Lyrics are hit and miss, they seem pretty incoherent.. "Never enough, towers crumble to dust" what? Anyway, it is a great song, personally I'd rank it in the top 5
8/10.

Turning Into You.
The intro had me worried. The verse reminds me of "Ready To Fall" by Rise Against, similar build and melody. Ready To Fall is a great song so this is not a bad thing. The chorus had me thinking of Linkin Park, a band I don't like. This song is not one I'll be skipping, but it's not a favorite either. 6/10.

Hurting As One.
This song has "The Offspring" written all over it. Simple as that. 9/10

Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk)
Definate lowpoint of the album. I don't understand why this was a single. It's not a bad song, since I understand the context and it's purpose, but it's still music. Bad music. Way too catchy to be skipped, though. 4/10

All I Have Left Is You.
I was waiting for a song like this to appear on the album, and the song title was a dead giveaway. It's basically Fix You 2: Resurrection. Fix You was a great song though, and this song is better. It's a nice change of pace, although it shouldn't have been right behind CC. 6/10

O.C. Guns.
This is why I love The Offspring. This is what a joke song should be. The intro is beautiful, the lyrics are great. "Punkass gonna get it alright, OC Guns' gonna come out tonight". The song is about gang violence. "Two in the front seat, two in the back, nothing good gonna come out of that" Fucking awesome. 7/10

Dirty Magic.
Yes. Oh god Yes. 9/10

I Wanna Secret Family (With You)
The upbeat pop punk song, another staple with The Offspring. RAFRAG had Let's Hear It, Splinter had Spare Me The Details. This song is good. It's catchy, the lyrics are funny, and the song still has a great tempo and plenty of positive energy. 7/10

Dividing By Zero
Intro had me thinking of Tehran, which is a great thing. This song is my favorite on the new album. "Run from the fire raining down on you". This song gets me so fucking pumped up. While the intro and solo reminds me of Tehran, the verses and choruses sound like something completely new. It's great. 10/10

Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell
Dance fucker dance, let the motherfucker burn. Best finishing song of any album. Another fantastic song, reminds me of Staring At The Sun. "If you're gonna go to hell, drink it up you might as well." 9/10

Overall 8/10.

This album is solid all the way through, beautifully structured, apart from All I Have Left coming in after Cruising California. Dirty Magic was not a waste of space as I feared it would be, and the album finishes off stronger than it started, which for me is a great thing.

Sara MZK
06-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Yeah, I'd just say that some of the songs sound a bit riseagainst-ish. But I love the fact that the record is more like Rise Against in style and much further from Green Day this time. :D

Well, Rise Against were hardly pioneers of that style of punk, so they have elements of other band's styles in their music. And they're certainly not as diverse, or creative as The Offspring. There's absolutely nothing on the new album that's a carbon copy of any Rise Against song, or even riff, so the comparisons are a bit lost on me really...

The Search Button
06-20-2012, 02:01 AM
The Spanish touch, the middle eastern riffs, the fast paced tempo, the-tongue-in-cheek, the catchy melodies and the sweet backing vocals.

This album has every facet of The Offspring.

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 02:23 AM
This Rise Against shiz really needs to stop. I mean, really?

Which bands have Rise Against pretty clearly been influenced by? Bad Religion and The Offspring would be riiiiggghhht up there on that list.

So the guys sounding like Rise Against, who...sound like them, isn't exactly some giant fuckin' revelation.

Lolz, James Cameron totally ripped off Halo with the production design of Avatar, too. 'Cause, you know, Aliens never happened or anything.

Same exact fuckin' thing. It sounds like an Offspring song. Just because Rise Against have been a pretty popular band the last couple of years doesn't exactly turn the tables on the relationship between the two. They sound like a 90's California third-wave punkrock band. Yeah, Offspring never did that or anything.

On another note, I can't wait to get the disc and listen to it on something better than shitty PC speakers. Headphones just aren't the same.

Rooster
06-20-2012, 02:41 AM
Hey don't worry man, some of us only said that Turning Into You and Ready to Fall sound a bit similar, not the same. I probably like Turning Into You more. They sound similar in the way "oh, this reminds me of that a bit", not "z0mg they stole there song". Similar, but not the same. But it's cool, as I said many times, there are a lot of songs in music history that sound similar to one another, and people are still fine with it, and so it should be in this case :)

Brace yourselves though, I smell ripoff accusations coming, just like the last time when RAFRAG came out...

By the way, people on sputnikmusic (checked their first review just out of curiosity) don't seem to appreciate the album as much (what else can you expect from sputnik anyway :rolleyes:). Not that I care, I have my own opinion about the album which they can't change. But as of now the album seems to be vastly underrated, though I suspect the low ratings are due to trolls, and overall rating should grow in time...

Count Orlok
06-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Okay, let's start off like this:

I'm really really happy that the album turned out better than i expected.

In the recent four years since RAFRAG (which i love), The Offspring has gone down from my # one favourite band to one of my favourite bands, and my musical taste evolved from listening exclusively to punk and rock to kinda every genre of music, while retaining a specifially soft spot for punk.

The two singles for Days Go By, in contrast to the first two RAFRAG-singles, made me worry that maybe, for the first time since my Offspring-fandom, I might be let down by a new release of them. Days Go By didn't click as a standalone-track, and I still don't consider it to be the most lucky choice for a lead single after four years of silence. Cruising California further lowered my expectations for the album. Before yesterday, I knew 1/6 of Days Go By, which wasn't a too pleasant 1/6.

Now, yesterday, after discovering the Rolling-Stone-link @ this bbs, I drove home from work as fast as I could, because even with two more or less weak singles, I can't be any other thing than excited when The Offspring releases new material. So here we go:

The midtempo punk/rock-song The Future Is Now demonstrates right from the start, that Days Go By will be filled with more energy than I'd have thought. A really strong opener, but I have to admit, that I liked Half-Truism a little bit more. 9/10

Secrets From The Underground blew me away. It's such a fast, powerful and at the same time catchy punk-tune (the chorus!), that shows The Offspring at their best! I always liked the last #2s, but this beats even Trust In You and The Noose. -> 10/10

Days Go By works in the album context better than on it's own, and I have to admit that I like the optimistic atmosphere in here. It's also very catchy, but more of a polished midtempo-Rock-song. Still, nice track 8/10

The fourth Track, Turning Into You instantly got one of my favourites. It has some decent Emo/Post-Hardcore-vibe in my opinion, which is cool with me, cause I love these genres. Again: Much energy, anger, but also a very interesting drum loop and an infectious guitar-rhythm. And a catchy as hell chorus. 10/10

Hurting As One didn't click with me as much as the other punky songs on here, but maybe it will after a few listens. Still, a really energetic one, that definitely sounds kinda old-school 8/10

Cruising California got a little bit better after a few listens, but still no favouriste, naturally. At first I more or less hated the song, but now that I heard the full album, I'm cooler with it. Dull fun song, but the melody may stick in your head for some time. 6.5

I sort of liked Fix You, but neverthless, I see me skipping this (and Kristy, which I still think is a bad song), relatively often while listening to RAFRAG.
One will see how All I Have Left Is You does over the years, but for now, I really dig this song. It's slow and sometimes bordering the cheesy a tin little bit, but the emotion is really convincing in this, to a greater extent than on Fix You. It's not directly romantic nor depressing, but can be both, based on occasion. Reminds me in this point of Denial, Revisited from Conspiracy, also with the fat guitars in an otherwise more quiet song. 8.5/10

While OC Guns ain't no Guns Of Brixton, it's still a successful experiment. The bass line is really cool, the Spanish is really cool, the blend of reaggae and mariachi...yeah, let's simply say it's a goddamn cool tune, and something you haven't heard from the band before 8/10

I can see why they remade Dirty Magic, which always was one of my favourite songs off my favourite album. The new version features electric guitars, fantastic background vocals (like +- every song on Days Go By ;) ), and for sure a more profession production. Why I think I prefer, overall, the 92 version, I really dig the new, powerful chorus. Hard to rate, but I tend to giving it a 9/10.

I Wanna Secret Family (With You) is a fun little pop-punk song with a 60's rock'n'roll-vibe. Nice thing, but a little bit irrelevant in my opinion. 7.5/10

Dividing By Zero surprised me from the start, because it's a really oldschool-Offspring-punk song, not failing at also fitting with the more modern post-Splinter-sound! Like track two, too, this is powerful, angry, definitely punky and at the same time melodic, catchy and technically accomplished. One of the best Offspring songs in this century and, imo, in general. Same goes for Slim Pickens, which is also a very punk-style-song. Reminded me a bit of Bad Religion at the beginning, but has an incredibly catchy & strong chorus, with a nice inclusion of the iconic "Dance Fucker, Dance!"-line off their last album's #1-single. The greatest thing with the Punk-songs on Days Go By is that they're all pure energy combined with great melodies and are even quite danceable pieces of great music -> 10/10 for the best closing song(s) since (at least) Pay The Man.

All in all, Days Go By consists of great Punk Songs, mostly well done experiments from Rock to Pop to Reaggae/Hip-Hop, which are more radical in their respective approach than their experiments on older albums, and just very few filler. On the one side, it's a great continuation of RAFRAG, on the other it contains also pretty cool new elements and much old and new energy :-)

-> My favourite of 2012 so far & one of the best four Offspring-albums 9/10. I doubt that I'll doubt the Offspring again before the release of the 10th album^^

Peace, & enjoy Days Go By!

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 02:49 AM
Raptor, I guess my point is that people don't think before jumping to comparisons. The "Times Like These" accusations were pretty valid with the original "Days Go By" version because, admittedly, the riff immediately invited the comparison. It'd be pretty hard to make that link with the final version, though.

Accusations of them ripping off Green Day with more than a couple of tracks on the last disc? Sure.

But this example is pretty much infuriating as fuck, because it just sounds like THEM. If it sounds like Rise Against, it's only because RA is a band that pretty obviously likes The Offspring and took some inspiration from them with their sound.

If you want to say it's The Offspring recycling their same old sound and being lazy, that wouldn't even piss me off. But the RA thing is pretty much like saying Metallica's ripping off Trivium or some shit.

Rooster
06-20-2012, 02:53 AM
Yeah, I get where you're coming from :)

Or you can even take it this way (I'm joking here, of course) - The Offspring is better at making "Rise Against-ish" songs than Rise Against are at this point :D

Sara MZK
06-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Exactly! The Offspring ripped off Rise Against, who ripped off The Offspring, so in effect, The Offspring are ripping themselves off! :p

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Indeedamundoroony.

...Balls.

Sex robot. There goes my penis.

weezly
06-20-2012, 03:16 AM
cool as album, love all of it, all i have left is you is a great track. what a great album, i might say its there best ever?? oc guns is a bit weird though?

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 03:20 AM
The choice of the two singles for this is pretty hilarious.

:D Lyrically, like Dex said DGB seems to make sense. It's awfully unrepresentative of the album's sound, though. CC obviously, too.

I actually like both songs, too, it's just funny hearing them in context. It's a pretty intense collection of songs on the whole, and you'd have no idea by what'll be played on the radio.

It'd be crazy if TFIN or Hurting was the next one. Unlikely, but fun to think about. "Bumpin' in my trunk" to *headbangs*...

momo91
06-20-2012, 04:26 AM
Can anyone send a copy of The Future is now to that fucker of L.A Times?

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Eh, don't blame him for the CC reaction. I like it, but it's obviously not going to go over well with most people. He's not alone.

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 04:28 AM
I do blame him 'cause he gave an opinion about the band without listening to the whole album, he was just like "hey I don't like this song, let's bash this guys a little"

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 04:31 AM
Wasn't his article about the song, though? I don't think he ever trashed the album as a whole, he was just pissing and moaning about The Offspring branching further into pop music with a single.

momo91
06-20-2012, 04:35 AM
I do blame him 'cause he gave an opinion about the band without listening to the whole album, he was just like "hey I don't like this song, let's bash this guys a little"

Exactly. And I'd suggest him a low audio during Secrets from the underground if he doesn't want his fucking punk office to explode.

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 04:39 AM
Missing the point entirely, not to mention going way too far with the immature threatening bullshit.

Come back when your balls have dropped and you're not talking like an insane person.

momo91
06-20-2012, 04:46 AM
"Honestly, we didn't think we'd encounter the words "the Offspring" printed anywhere outside of a KROQ-FM festival.""

That's the point. And that's why everyone should have waited the whole thing before throwing shit to the band.
And please, man, be quiet. I'm expressing an opinion,

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 04:53 AM
Yeah, and making retarded threatening remarks toward some journalist for expressing his.

Maybe you should stop whining about the fact someone else doesn't like something that you do, man-child.

momo91
06-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Once again. No problem if he doesn't like CC. Tha fact is that it turned into an unnecessary and prejudicial attack to the band.

However, I'm closing the discussion. I see you can't talk without personally offending me so I'm not gonna go on. Have a nice day wise man.

Llamas
06-20-2012, 04:59 AM
A lot of people have been comparing All I Have to Fix You... but I'd compare it to Denial. I really like both those songs, too.

OC Guns seems to be the best joke song they've done in ages. Probably the best one they've done since Get a Job, which is a good song but just got really old due to being a massive single.

In 1998, I was a good little Backstreet Boys and NSYNC fan. I listened to Cher and Jewel (I still listen to Jewel, but not ONLY Jewel) and Alanis (same there). I went to the store on my bday to get the Dixie Chicks album (who I also still like!) I couldn't find their album, though, but I saw Americana sitting on the shelf... checked out the back and was like, "Oooooooh Why Don't You Get a Job!!! I love that song!" I spent my gift certificate on that album, immediately fell in love with every song, and they proceeded to be my favorite band for about 5 years ;) So in some ways, a song like CC could be a good thing... who knows?

I kind of feel bad admitting I'd pretty much lost any major expectations for the band in the last 10 years, despite enjoying about half of RAFRAG a whole lot.
Same here. I lost hope and expectations after Splinter was released and then I saw the band live and was disappointed. CO1 and Splinter were very underwhelming. I also dig the first half of RFRG, but I guess it's not enough. This album makes up for the last 10 years or so.

Fun album. I can't wait 'til it comes out so I can re-track it in iTunes and replace "Cruising California" with something more tolerable, like a 3-minute recording of my dog farting after eating a giant block of cheese.

That sounds pretty fair trade, honestly.

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 05:00 AM
Toward Momo.

*Nods sagely*

*Throws monkey-feces at you*

Rooster
06-20-2012, 05:02 AM
Ok, so here’s my attempt at reviewing the album. I won’t focus on each track individually, I’ll rather review the album as a whole.

It’s been four years since the band’s last attempt, Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, which saw The Offspring trying out a few new things (well, for them at least). That album gave us gems in the likes of Half-Truism, Trust In You, Hammerhead, You’re Gonna Go Far Kid, and perhaps A Lot Like Me also. Seeing the problem here? The problem of that album was that all the best tracks were lined up in the first half of the album, while the second half of it didn’t quite meet the expectations. Not that those songs were bad, they just weren’t quite up there with the rest. So I hoped this time around things would be different. And they were.

The first two singles may have made a lot of people worried about the album. And rightfully so – Days Go By isn’t why we loved the band in the first place, it’s a good alternative rock track, but nothing to make me go “wow”, and Cruising California may just go down as one of the worst tracks in the band’s entire history. I already said somewhere that maybe the band took a different route with promoting the album this time around – RAFRAG’s singles were great and raised the expectations too high so (after the “newness factor” had worn off) the end result was kind of underwhelming. I said I hoped that they might just be sparing the best songs for last this time, making us all positively surprised in the end. And how right I was.

The album kicks off in a furious way with one of its best tracks, The Future Is Now. With its great lyrics, energetic melody and great hooks this is a perfect opener, and certainly delivers what we come to The Offspring for. Same thing goes for Secrets From The Underground and Turning Into You, which may (or may not) borrow a few cues from Rise Against, and I’m not saying this in a bad way at all. Hurting As One feels like it could have been ripped straight out of Smash, and will definitely fare well with the old school fans. Days Go By actually fits better within the context of the album, but as a single it wasn’t the best choice, nor was Cruising California, which I can tolerate, given the quality of the rest. The album slows down a bit in the middle, which contains it’s more experimental efforts, along with surprisingly good O.C. Guns, a fun mixture of mariachi trumpets, reggae and hilarious, Maurice Chavez (GTA Vice City radio station VCPR, anyone? :D) sounding vocals. I was worried about All I Have Left Is You, which with its 5 minutes is the longest song on the album. It was supposed to sound similar to RAFRAG’s Fix You, which I didn’t really like, but my worries were for nothing – All I Have Left Is You is a good song. Another track that got some of the fans worried was I Wanna Secret Family (With You), which is one of the album’s few less serious moments. But do not worry anymore, as this is just a plain fun song which would have done just find on Americana, better than Cruising California (which the band should simply lock in the trunk of an abandoned car, where nobody could hear it bumping...). We also can’t forget to mention the brilliant re-recording of Dirty Magic, a song from Ignition that is sadly largely unknown to the casual fans of the band (hopefully this album will change that). But then we come to the album’s fiery ending, the brilliant combo of Dividing By Zero and Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell. Dividing By Zero has to be my favorite track of the album, summing up everything that made me the fan of the band all those years ago, after I heard Americana as a kid. It’s very fast and with tons of energy, and the chorus just leaves you wanting more and more of this stuff! I’ve been listening to this song more times than I can count, in fact numbers as high as the times I’ve replayed the track may yet have to be invented. The track blends nicely with Slim Pickens, a very good album closer, but they still feel as two separate songs, and work well on their own.

So, here’s my attempt at objectively reviewing the album. I didn’t stick to the actual track listing, so the order may not have been exactly the same as it is on the album. To sum up, the album is diverse and in some ways experimental. It definitely feels different, but it works pretty damn well. But most of all, the album contains a lot of moments that we love The Offspring for, the moments that made us fans in the first place. Objectively, this album is a 3.5 to 4 (out of 5) without a doubt. Personally I give it 4 out of 5 at least, as it is the band’s best effort since Americana :)

Llamas
06-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Exactly. And I'd suggest him a low audio during Secrets from the underground if he doesn't want his fucking punk office to explode.

However, I'm closing the discussion. I see you can't talk without personally offending me so I'm not gonna go on. Have a nice day wise man.

lol that's hilarious. You can make violent threats, but YOU'RE the one who's offended? Wow. Seriously, grow up manchild.

I love this album, but I also loved that LA Times article. It was amazing.

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 05:13 AM
That's a fun review, Raptor. :)

I'm both a little lazy right now and wanting to let it all sink in before really reflecting on it. First-few times through leaves me happy as a...happy dude, though. It's just a great blend of different types of Offspring stuff, in a really satisfying total package.

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 05:13 AM
Yeah, and making retarded threatening remarks toward some journalist for expressing his.

Maybe you should stop whining about the fact someone else doesn't like something that you do, man-child.

Did you write the article or are you friend of his? He went hard on a song and we go hard on him. Who the fuck cares if to you it seems childish really...
Those kind of articles give bad expectation to many people even if it's one song review, so fuck him.

momo91
06-20-2012, 05:14 AM
lol that's hilarious. You can make violent threats, but YOU'RE the one who's offended? Wow. Seriously, grow up manchild.

Threats??? Come on...okay, guys let's stop this. I was just too excited for this new music and wasn' gonna start any battle here.

And I'd never permitt of calling anyone child or whatever. But okay, let's go back on topic.

offspringer24
06-20-2012, 05:15 AM
The more I listen to the album the more I like it.

OC Gubs seems to have mixed reviews but I think it's really good, I think the context of the album seems to make more sense of CC and I think it blends into the album nicely.

It's like Americana meets Smash with a little of C01 in there which makes it a perfect album for me anyways.

I will review the album later as I see it but I think most songs are between 9 and 9.9 :D

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 05:16 AM

Violent threat? I think he was just saying that the album is loud and so rock that he's office would explode. he didn't say that he would put a bomb up his ass.

anyway.... if it's possible to not like the song and bash it I think it's possible to not like article and bash it.

peace out

Llamas
06-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Wasn't a threat, I see. Very badly worded conditional, momo. But okay.

offspringer24
06-20-2012, 05:19 AM
OC Gubs lol

momo91
06-20-2012, 05:19 AM
Violent threat? I think he was just saying that the album is loud and so rock that he's office would explode.

Of course, that's it. Thanks man.

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 05:20 AM
Come on. Clearly a threat. Don't backpeddle over it now.

Rooster
06-20-2012, 05:20 AM
That's a fun review, Raptor. :)

I'm both a little lazy right now and wanting to let it all sink in before really reflecting on it. First-few times through leaves me happy as a...happy dude, though. It's just a great blend of different types of Offspring stuff, in a really satisfying total package.

Thanks, I've edited one of the sentences so far, regarding the appropriate fate of Cruising California (I had that line in mind all along, just forgot it while I was writing the review) :p

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 05:26 AM
Come on. Clearly a threat. Don't backpeddle over it now.

yeah yeah, he's a real terrorist for warning of the loudness of the record. right. you won man, really. congrats.

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Dude, don't act like there's nothing there. In a fury over someone's article over an Offspring track, cursing the guy out and even mentioning his office exploding?

That's not innocent "lawlz album will rawk yer fayce off" material, get back to reality.

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 05:29 AM
Dude, don't act like there's nothing there. In a fury over someone's article over an Offspring track, cursing the guy out and even mentioning his office exploding?

That's not innocent "lawlz album will rawk yer fayce off" material, get back to reality.

right right

dff_punk
06-20-2012, 05:30 AM
I was too busy/lazy to write. I appreciate Days Go By. No, I love it. A fresh album full of the best classic Offspring songs up to date blended with some experiments which surprisingly don't fail at all. Favorite songs now: Future Is Now, Secrets From The Underground, Hurting As One, OC Guns, Dividing By Zero and Slim Fucking Pickens(the one that caught me the most)... But each song is good(CC kinda ruins the album vibe, it could be a bonus track imho), no filler songs. I might write more later, so fucking excited about this album :)

ad8
06-20-2012, 05:32 AM
I love this album. It is powerful, diverse and really well-produced. Also, I have the feeling that they radiate more joy in their more fun songs. And then there are the aggressive fast-paced punk rock gems like dividing by zero that remind me of the Ixnay/Americana Offspring. Wonderful :)

edit: As opposed to RAFRAG, I feel like this album could yield one or two big hits on the radio, too.

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Eh, I dunno. I don't see the DGB or CC singles being monsters. And the rest aren't really "giant Pretty Fly" material as much as awesome non-single tracks.

Probably only get another 2 singles after the as-announced ones.

vionline
06-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Is that true you guys are listening to much RISE AGAINST!???

uhashuashusahusahuas

Sara MZK
06-20-2012, 05:52 AM

uhashuashusahusahuas

Not me, I'm not a fan. I never listen to them. :p

Rooster
06-20-2012, 05:53 AM

uhashuashusahusahuas

Nope, but we are massive fans of Rise Against Me And The Machines!

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 06:11 AM
"Turning Into You" is seeming to be one of my favorites here. It has a really fresh sound to it, while still somehow being really "Offspring". Like, it's them to a tee, but it doesn't sound like anything they've really done so far.

Big-ass melody to it, too. This disc's a beast, it's a direction I've wanted from them ever since I was like 14 or something, post Co1. It's Offspring-y as hell, just seems a lot more...I dunno, mature and accomplished or something.

Sara MZK
06-20-2012, 06:19 AM
"Turning Into You" is seeming to be one of my favorites here. It has a really fresh sound to it, while still somehow being really "Offspring". Like, it's them to a tee, but it doesn't sound like anything they've really done so far.

Big-ass melody to it, too. This disc's a beast, it's a direction I've wanted from them ever since I was like 14 or something, post Co1. It's Offspring-y as hell, just seems a lot more...I dunno, mature and accomplished or something.

Yep, I think RAFRAG was kinda testing the waters for being more experimental, but as a whole it fell a little short. Overall, this album feels more concise and assured. It is more mature, but it's still definitely The Offspring.

"Turning Into You" is a perfect example of that. It sounds very familiar and "Offspringy", despite not really being like anything they've done before. The chorus is pure stadium rock, but the punk rock "Hey!'s" makes it sound very Offspring, and that they're sticking to their roots despite branching out.

It's not a perfect album, and is a bit inconsistent, but overall, I love what they've done on this album. :)

NoGuessing
06-20-2012, 06:32 AM
My attempt at a review. For context, I'm with most the majority on RAFRAG except I like Fix You but not Takes Me Nowhere. Best song Hammerhead, second best YGGFK. So, now you know my tastes, here's my subjective opinion.:)

The Future Is Now

This song is great. I’ve never understood the Saviour comparisons, because as I’ve said numerous times this sounds like an Orwellian and more complex The Kids Aren’t Alright. The song manages to be graceful and menacing at the same time, and it’s a breath of fresh new air immediately into the album. The intro and the piano are my favourite parts.

That said, the voice layering makes Dexter’s voice sound like it’s having the life crushed from it in parts, when the problem isn’t compression but too much happening in the vocals. I prefer the live versions we got from Japan when it comes to the vocals.

Secrets from the Underground

Mind blowing lyrics. Every line counts, and speaks to all the progressive causes around the world universally. This is revolution rock, and done without pretension or straw men. It’s honest fury with a dangerous melody, graceful verse (I hear dat keyboard) and stadium chorus.

Possibly my favourite song on the album.

Days Go By

Yeah okay, so this song is pretty divisive and copped a lot of flak, either because the listener felt it was generic or worse, plagiarism. I like it as a stand alone song, but in this album it doesn’t work for me. It would be the black sheep of the album if it wasn’t for a certain Cruising California.

I’ve actually found myself pressing the skip button a couple of times, yet I’ve played this track on its own several times tonight.

On the bright side, I like the melodic nature of this song, I don’t think it is a rip off, and it has one of the best music videos I’ve seen from the band.

Fun note: this song was played on the radio tonight directly after a long segment on National Pie Day. Because I was hungry and thinking of pies, my ears heard "As those days go pie, and we all start again."

Turning Into You

When those drums and Noodles guitar fired up, so did my ears. I dig it. Hard. Then came on a song similar to Ready To Fall. Yes, I know which band came first and who borrowed whose sound, but despite loving this song (the lyrics and bridge are perfect) the similarity with a song by another favourite band of mine sours this song a bit, because having the other song in my mind when listening to this is irritating.

The problem with Rise Against’s rise to promise is they’ve now made it very difficult for The Offspring and Bad Religion, who RA sound like the child of (despite The Offspring not being named as an RA influence, I like these guys because of the similarity, unintentional or not on RA’s part). Rise Against have made a career out of fist pump anthems with guitar strums that never get a chance to breathe in the verses, and a guitar tone that sounds like Ignition. That means as soon as The Offspring make a fist pumping anthem with those strums, they’re fucked in the eyes of the casual listener and the hardcore RA fan.

The Offspring can’t be completely exonerated here, since part of the reason people are so quick to point the copyright finger in their direction is due to Rise and Fall, their worst song ever. Mud sticks.

Hurting As One

The transition from Turning Into You to this track is smooth, and the track itself is straighforward yet effective musically and lyrically. I don’t have much to say about it really, because it is what it is. I suppose now would be a good time to mention I love the way the band let the notes ring in this album. Check out that intro. Again this song incorporates quick punchy strums in the verses, but the real verse melody comes from Dexters voice, and it’s great.

I can’t wait to get my hands on the lyrics to the verses as well.

Cruising California (Bumping in my Trunk)

This song is the black sheep. Hugely controversial, and it doesn’t even fit in the album to boot. I swear the picture for this song in the lyric book is going to be a troll face. Who knew “BOOM BOOM BOOM Turn up the beat yeah!” could cause so many flame wars? Whilst I must thank the band for the opportunity to post condescending replies to tru punx rawkers on youtube, I must admit some of the lyrics, if they’re played straight, make me squirm a bit. I understand what they are trying to represent, but they are a bit misogynistic itbt. Especially when coupled with that video. It’s weird as well because Kristy brought a bit of badly needed feminism to mainstream radio (and when an anti-rape and anti-rape culture song is classed as feminism rather than basic human decency you know mainstream radio has a few issues).

I do like the tune itself though. I have also been known to listen to Lady Gaga without a gun held to my head. Some pop is awesome.

All I Have Left Is You

This song gets the big sook in me going, and it’s so well done. The guitars are interesting, but Dexter’s voice in the verses is so fucking good. This is a million times better than both Denial Revisted and Fix You in every way, and I like both songs. The story to this one, though I haven’t deciphered all the lyrics, is great.

Songs like this are what separate The Offspring from many other punk bands, and for some this is a bad thing. For me though, it’s what makes them fantastic. I love other punk bands, but the ones I love the most are the ones willing to push the boundaries. A band that risks failure earns more respect from me than one who sticks to the easy route they know well. That and if The Offspring had just released Ignition 9 I’d be bored of them by now.

OC Guns

One year from now when the police raid a shabby council flat in West Auckland, a skinny white nerd who is in the process of setting up a meth lab will be blaring this song through his stereo. It took me a few hours to decide if this is a good thing, and I have concluded it is.

It’s more than a joke song to me. It’s a fucking cool song in its own right. I’d smoke pot just to have another excuse to play this song.

Dirty Magic

I’m not sure which version I prefer yet, but this song is seriously sick. They’ve done it proud.

I Want A Secret Family (With You)

This song is great fun, and should have been the single ahead of CC imo. Once again though this song jars the album. It doesn’t fit for me. Kinda reminds me of She’s Got Issues but better. This would fit perfectly into Americana.

Dividing By Zero

Now we move on to part one of the finale, and hello Tehran and Hammerhead. I don’t like Tehran much, in fact I skip it a lot, but this sounds like a beast. It appears when we finally can divide by zero we will not only create the end of the universe but the soundtrack will be Black Ball. Fitting really. The Middle Eastern solo is great, even if it sounds like the tune in Pay The Man. We’re pretty fortunate Noodles never posted they wrote a song that mixed elements of Tehran, Hammerhead and Pay The Man into one song because I’m pretty sure half the forum would consider serious crimes just to hear that song.

Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell

It’s got hints of early Atlantic era Bad Religion, which is great because I love that era. Easily the best closer since Pay The Man, and their fourth best of all time at worst in my book. I love the You’re Gonna Go Far Kid reference, because it encapsulates the “hehe, destroying the world is fun” vibe this song gives off. After the fury of Dividing By Zero, the character concludes that destruction is the only moral choice of action. It’s youthful, it’s hard hitting and beneath the nihilism so prevalent in punk it’s almost become a cliché, Dexter questions if glorifying destruction is really a good idea. At first glance the song seems to conclude that it is, with the final line being DANCE FUCKER DANCE LET THE MOTHERFUCKER BURN except we know the fucker is question is a bit of a dick thanks to the last song they featured in, indicating to me that while Dexter thinks this is what people are electing to do, it’s the wrong decision.

Sara MZK
06-20-2012, 06:41 AM
I'm sorry, talking about "copyright" when comparing Turning Into You and Ready To Fall is frankly ludicrous. The songs are nowhere near similar enough to be talking about infringing copyright. Hearing Ready To Fall makes me utterly dumbfounded at hearing these "rip-off" comments. Aside from falling into the same genre of music, the two songs really sound nothing like each other at all. Someone hears a tiny similarity, and all of a sudden we're talking about copyright infringement... unbelievable.

NoGuessing
06-20-2012, 06:47 AM
I don't think they will get sued, or even that they were copying, but there is going to be fallout. In my review, I acknowledge that and discuss the problem.

There are similarities between the songs. I say this as someone who doesn't think Days Go By or TFIN are rip offs, so I'm hardly here to bait.

vionline
06-20-2012, 06:48 AM
- The Future Is Now - Best song on the album.. 9.5

- Secrets from the Underground - Good song - 7

- Days Go By - Foo Fighters copy - can be -10? hahuahau

- Turning Into You - Very good song 9

- Hurting As One - Shit 00000

- Cruising California - Funny song, reminds me PF - 8

- All I Have Left Is You - No comments uahuashasu seems like those romantic songs from Brazilian soapoperas! uhsahusahusa Those couples in love and the song as a background.. uhashusahusa 00000

- OC Guns - Ridiculous. Should i laugh? 00000

- Dirty Magic - I already heard this song. Why again? You´re too lazy guys!!

- I Want A Secret Family (With You) - I dont know what to say about this
one. But i didnt like... uhashuas 00000

- Dividing By Zero - Good song, energic, powerfull - 9

- Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell - 7

uiashosaiuahsoiuasdh

NoGuessing
06-20-2012, 06:49 AM
- The Future Is Now - Best song on the album.. 9.5

- Secrets from the Underground - Good song - 7

- Days Go By - Foo Fighters copy - can be -10? hahuahau

- Turning Into You - Very good song 9

- Hurting As One - Shit 00000

- Cruising California - Funny song, reminds me PF - 8

- All I Have Left Is You - No comments uahuashasu seems like those romantic songs from Brazilian soapoperas! uhsahusahusa Those couples in love and the song as a background.. uhashusahusa 00000

- OC Guns - Ridiculous. Should i laugh? 00000

- Dirty Magic - I already heard this song. Why again? You´re too lazy guys!!

- I Want A Secret Family (With You) - I dont know what to say about this
one. But i didnt like... uhashuas 00000

- Dividing By Zero - Good song, energic, powerfull - 9

- Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell - 7

uiashosaiuahsoiuasdh

Are you feeling okay?

Sara MZK
06-20-2012, 06:56 AM
I myself am not an RA fan, but I listened to the song in question this morning, and for the life of me, I can't see where people are getting this from. The similarities between the songs are miniscule. If there is a "fallout", then those responsible for causing it are morons in my opinion. On a scale of 1-10, a song would likely have to be at least an "8" on the scale of similarity before we could start using terms like "copyright", and "rip-off". Turning Into You is about a "2" on the scale of similarity, and even then, it's only because the song is in a similar style. But the chords used, the melodies and the hooklines and refrain are completely different. Not just a little bit different, but completely different.

Sounds to me as if some RA fans are totally making a mountain out of a molehill here...

And of course RA wouldn't sue them. The case would be kicked out of court, and they'd be left owing The Offspring a lot of money.

disclaimer_07
06-20-2012, 07:09 AM
A lot of fast-paced punk rock songs sound alike.
With a ton of such songs recorded every year, it's harder and harder to invent something original.
For any given song, I bet you could find at least one other that sounds similar, whether it was intentional or not.

It's actually funny. When The Offspring go back to their roots, people complain they're just recycling their old stuff but whenever they try something new, people say they're ripping off other bands. It's like a vicious circle, lol.

SåS
06-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Exactly! The Offspring ripped off Rise Against, who ripped off The Offspring, so in effect, The Offspring are ripping themselves off! :p

OR! They're not ripping off anybody.

I love this album, and the best thing is, I was 14 when RAFRAG was released and I wasn't all that into musical diversity or anything that wasn't power chords or Metallica, being 18 now after studying HSC12 music and going through all sorts of musical stages, I can appreciate this album much more than I appreciated RAFRAG (on recent listens, it's still nowhere near DGB, so it's not just my age). The last album was just kind of..... boring, I mean Hammerhead, Half Truism, ALLM, Trust in You and SIFU will always be classic songs, but the album as a whole was just a drag to listen to. In my opinion anyway. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder/ consumer choice ra ra ra.

I think the heaviest contributing factors to the awesomeness of this album are;
- Layering of guitars is much more intricate, backing vocals (done by the band, not just Dexter)
- Middle-eastern riffs and vocal melodies, even the harmonies are interesting and somewhat middle-eastern sounding.
- Diving by Zero
- The "fuck it, YOLO" attitude of the album, diversity is a good thing and it's clearly evident in this album, they didn't care about having an odd balance of songs, and it actually created a great balance. The songs contrast well.

-It's not just punk, it's not just rock, it's not even pop. It's The Offspring, they've managed to keep their sound whilst trying new things and dipping into themes and musical techniques that they haven't used in years and years.

Well done Offspringys, keep doing what you're doing, don't listen to the trolls and arseholes, you're doing the things you wanna do, and you've managed to make a lot of people happy doing it.

I honestly feel like a kid again, it's great, nothing compares to the feeling I get when I hear Dexter's classic 4-chord melodies, The Offspring are one of last bands who can pull off the E C G D chord progression and not have it sound generic as all fuck.

Thank you Dexter, Noodles, Greg and Pete.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-20-2012, 07:46 AM
OK, I might be slightly warming up to OC Guns. I like the bass and the mariachi trumpets. I still really hate that "shoot him in the back" Dr. Evil voice.

Also, "Hijo de puta, pendejo, cabron" is officially the Spanish version of "stupid dumbshit goddamn motherfucker."

SåS
06-20-2012, 07:48 AM
I think the "shoot him in the back" sounds hilarious, the song reminds me of something Ween would do. With that perfect amount of Offspring to make it fit.

EDIT:
The "do do DOOT do do DOOT" in Secret Family is also hilarious.
Also, is that a bass solo at 1:48?

PEND@LF
06-20-2012, 08:20 AM
I don't like that album...I FUCKING LOVE IT!

Krojd
06-20-2012, 08:28 AM
I didn't make it till the release and finally listened to the record. Not as stoked about it as almost everyone. Best Offspring record? Hell no! Dirty Magic between OC and Secret Family is just wrong! Still need some time but:

Songs I love: The future is now, Secrets from the underground, Turning into you, DB0, Slim

Ok songs: Hurting as one, Days go by, CC, All I have left is you

Songs I can't stand right now: OC guns, Secret Family

Others: Dirty Magic

OC guns could have been a great instrumental song, little bit shorter (3:10) and without the turntables and some other parts of it. I love it from 0:21 to 0:31 except the scratching, 2:20-23 is great too, why si short?! I dont like Dexter's vocals in this one, sounds like Dexter and Tim Armstrong clone. Secret Family is way too popish, Avril Lavigne could sing this song 10 years back. I never thought I could say this, but I guess I like Katy Perry more than Avril Lavigne.

commonrider5447
06-20-2012, 08:32 AM
I liked it after the first listen, gave it another and I like it even a bit more, even OC Guns which I couldnt stand the first time is sounding pretty cool. Nice diversity and AWESOME punk songs. I still prefer RAFRAG but this is so much better than Co1 and Splinter. I fricken hate Brendan O Brian or whatever his name is the producer of Co1 and Splinter I blame him because every other album I love!

TeddyBear_Army
06-20-2012, 09:07 AM
holy shit, the album's awesome, pendejos! sftu punched me in the stomach and I'm still trying to recover.

Free?
06-20-2012, 09:11 AM
I am losing my Days Go By virginity right now and about to leave to a Mastodon gig.

DO APPRECIATE!

wrc307
06-20-2012, 09:21 AM
well, as I was banned I get some time to hear the album and prepare my opinion.
Im going to put my rating scale in this form for each song: awesome, good, decent, mediocre, awful.

Awesome:

The future is now: it's a mix between some good old offspring stuff and the new sounds of punk/pop, and it works. the piano pause makes me think that this could be the next single cause it's perfect for a video clip progress. lyrics talks for themselves. really awesome song.

Hurting As One: this song it's kick-ass, the old offspring with new effects, and the perfect backing vocals that it's fits great. a very simple chorus that it's very catchy.

Dividing By Zero: for me this is the best song of the album, i mean, this IS Offspring, a few chords, palm mute, fast guitar pace, a lead guitar with a very simple and effective guitar solo. great drum. they don't need to do a longer song. This is it.

Slim Pickens: The what happened to you chords, but with a rock style. this song as i said in other post it's a nice combo with /0. very catchy. and it's very effective.

Good

Secrets From The Underground: this song it's almost awesome, but the fact that it make me feel that this song could be in any other punk/pop modern band makes me give less rating.

Turning into you: same opinion of SFTU, and the drums from the begining don't help to this song.

Dirty Magic: my first opinion of this song keep being the best, when it starts the guitar sounds great, very clean, then the distortion guitar appears and i said "wow it looks promising", the verse don't change too much for the first version. and then we got the chorus, the backing vocals fucked up the song and it sounds over-worked. but it's still dirty magic.

Decent:

Days go by: I think that it don't need mor analisys

OC Guns: this song it's very difficult to digest, it's very odd. but I can see the mesagge behind this, I'm going to put this one on my GTA SA , and see what happens.

I wanna a secret family: this song it's just catchy, nothing more.

Mediocre:

Cruising California: This song have energy, is happy, but it's not best joke song. it's not awful cause was a necessary evil.

All i have left is you: Just dont like it, too much time, too slow, low vocals. offspring made some goods ballads in some other discs, but this one is not one of these.

This album it's great, they took too long to make something with the very first albums and they made it.
(sorry for my primitive english)

Sara MZK
06-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Hearing the new Offspring and seeing Mastodon in the same day? You're very lucky! lol

Hope you have a great time! :)

I'm still trying to work out whether OC Guns has a serious lyrical slant mixed in with the Spanish lingo and funny wordplay... lol

findout5
06-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Time will tell how much anyone likes or not this record.
It's too soon to tell. This is only a first impression.
I've heard thrice and liked it, except CC of course, because I do have good musical taste. So...so far so good. I'll check back in 6 months.

jacknife737
06-20-2012, 07:15 PM
In Secret Family, during the "doo doo doo" part, Dexter's vocals sound like they're almost coming from Ben Weasel.

Eskimo
06-21-2012, 04:18 AM
I've listened to it through twice since yesterday, and it's only warming to me even more. The few "what the hell?" moments from first listen are kind of like the breakdown in SIFU last time, hilarious at first but then you kind of "get it" and it works really well.

And Holy Steve Guttenberg, there's a lot of Atlantic Bad Religion vibe here on the softer songs. Without ever straying from sounding more Offspring than BR. Really, really digging the not-as-punky tracks on this a whole lot. I don't think I've liked any of that stuff they've done since "Denial, Revisited" (I suppose the end of "Fix You" is cool too).

Everyone's raving about "whoa, they grew some balls again!", and that's cool, but the other aspect of this thing is really, really solid too. As much as I like Dividing like everyone else (who'd have thought in fucking 2012 we'd get a Self-Titled inspired song?!), it's probably not going to be my favorite track here.

Rooster
06-22-2012, 03:52 AM
Now that I got the actual CD I can finally comment on the album's production, also. The production is better than on RAFRAG, the album sounds more powerful. However, it is also compressed to death, dynamic range (the difference in loudness between quieter and louder parts) isn't very good. That said, it still doesn't sound as muddy as RAFRAG, which is deffinitely a plus, so I'm not gonna complain about dynamic range (this was simply a-matter-of-fact observation, not a complaint).

I liked the production on Ixnay and Americana better, but what Bob Rock did here works for the album :)

F@ BANKZ
06-22-2012, 04:19 AM
Amazing songs - The First 5, Secret Family, Slim Pickens
Good songs- California, Dividing By Zero, OC Guns, Days Go By
Can take or leave- Dirty Magic
Gay as fuck - All I Have Left Is You

All subject to slight change ofc. California should've been played-down a bit and Dirty Magic was well done but fell over at the chorus. OC Guns was inventive and sick but just coulda used some momentum to really take it off. Dividing By Zero is an old sound but more like the not-so-good songs from Smash/ST more than the awesome ones; closer to Tehran and Something to Believe in than Out on Patrol and Self Esteem; sick chorus though. All I Have Left Is You just isn't for me or for me to judge. All entitled 'amazing songs' are near flawless - I can see why Dex wanted to write some softer songs though, a whole album of these for many might be tiresome. I'd prefer it myself but I've got to consider myself an 'old' offspring fan :,(

edit: DGB don't count in the first 5 ;)

Overall, gets my wholehearted approval as an Offspring album. They've done a good job of keeping their own sound (mega catchy and fun) whilst exploring different styles. Can't emphasize enough how glad I am they're not scared to still rock out at their slightly advanced age however patronising that sounds.

Oxygene
06-22-2012, 11:48 AM

uhasuhsahusahu

Nice to finally meet the NUMBER 1 FAN after all these years...

vionline
06-22-2012, 07:09 PM
jesus... they´ll never make songs like Blackball, Mota, The Meaning of life, Genocide, Nitro..again... could someone please tell me where is the energy of this band they used to have?

Dexter lost the war today, his new album is a mistake!! uhsauhsahuas

Going to listen Blackball...
bye seus fi de kenga!

ThunderPX
06-22-2012, 07:18 PM
>NUMBER 1 FAN
>complains about new stuff

seems legit

Degstur Lolland
06-22-2012, 07:18 PM
jesus... they´ll never make songs like Blackball, Mota, The Meaning of life, Genocide, Nitro..again... could someone please tell me where is the energy of this band they used to have?

bye seus fi de kenga!
Do you like at least Dividing by zero and Slim pickens? Or what do you like?

XYlophonetreeZ
06-22-2012, 07:20 PM

bye seus fi de kenga!

I genuinely fucking despise you from every post I've seen from you. Fuck off.

vionline
06-22-2012, 07:25 PM
>NUMBER 1 FAN
>complains about new stuff

seems legit

Our flags are burninggg, our flags are burning!!!

uhashuahuasusahu

vionline
06-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Do you like at least Dividing by zero and Slim pickens? Or what do you like?

I loved Dividing by zero! the future is now, Turning into you, slim pickens and Secrets from the underground are good too!!

Eskimo
06-22-2012, 07:47 PM
I wish we could all be trupunx like you, friend.

You're one hardcore futhermucker.

GamerKT
06-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Our flags are burninggg, our flags are burning!!!

uhashuahuasusahu

Do you like The Noose? Would you like me to get you one?

vionline
06-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I wish we could all be trupunx like you, friend.

You're one hardcore futhermucker.

THANK YOU, SIR! IM A REAL TRUPUNX! AND A FUTHERMUCKER TOO!

But Days Go By sucks!

SORRY, OFFSPRING NEW FAN!!!

dorkrockcorkrod
06-22-2012, 08:06 PM
It's fine if you don't like Days Go By, but your posts are incredibly fucking irritating. I don't like Rise and Fall Rage and Grace at all, but I'm not gonna constantly be like "OMFG IT SUX" all over this board because I'd probably just piss off the people that do enjoy it.

Anyways, here's an in-depth post with my two cents on this record:
http://dorkrocking.tumblr.com/post/25532780964/days-go-by-by-the-offspring
Also, I'm pretty blunt about my feelings toward RAFRAG on here unfortunately, so be prepared. :p

Eskimo
06-22-2012, 08:43 PM
It's obviously not your opinion about the album. It's your dickface illiteracy and insistence on acting like a cantaloupe-molester.

lucas_kriesel
06-22-2012, 09:23 PM
For me, "Days Go By" is their best album since "Conspiracy of One". And yes, this is a big thing. It's simply AMAZING! "Secrets From The Underground" is the new TKAA.

Offspring 4ever!

MillionMiles
06-22-2012, 09:53 PM
For me, "Days Go By" is their best album since "Conspiracy of One". And yes, this is a big thing. It's simply AMAZING! "Secrets From The Underground" is the new TKAA.

Offspring 4ever!
Could not agree with you more. Conspiracy is my favorite album, and Secrets, I think is the best song of this new album. :)

Camila
06-22-2012, 09:59 PM
My expectations for RAFRAG were high and for DGB low, which makes me think that some songs from the former would mesh well together with other songs from the latter. Anyhow, Days go by blew me away, and here I am paying for my big mouth. I did not want to listen until I had the cd in hands, but as I went to a show last night I took advantage from the long drive to enjoy it. So for now I can say describe how I feel about how the songs sound. I will have a full opinion when can listen to the cd with along with reading the booklet. However, the lyrics sound pretty awesome so far.

The Future is now: LOVE the guitar at the beginning; love the guitar at 0:30. It still amazes me that, even after so many years, the Offspring still manages to have songs with a great energy to kick off the cds. Piano + Guitar bridge was a sweet surprise; the irony is that I had never been a fan on piano tunes in their songs. Well done.

Secrets from the underground: Guitar distortion at the beginning – marvelous. Chorus?! It Makes me feel like jumping and singing along at the top of my lungs. These first two tracks definitely makes a person crave for more. Kudos.

Days Go By: I played it in a row for about 5 miles. Although I had heard this one before I couldn’t help but go back to it just to sing along. At night, open windows, max volume… Words cannot describe it. I like Dexter’s voice a lot in this track as well as the way it ends. The vocalizing at 2:54 sends shivers down my spine.

Turning into you: Dexter’s voice in in the beginning reminds me of A Lot Like Me and I am not very fond of it, but then it gets better and better and there is no way of not liking it. The chorus is awesome.

Hurting as One: It’s the fifth track and so far it’s mostly goodness. The “Broken in two, hurting as one” followed by the whoa oh oh oh part is pretty cool. The ooh ooh bridge is nice too. Like mentioned before, the Something to believe in-ness of the song is a plus.

Cruisin’ California: Haterz gonna hate, but this is such a bucket of cold water in all the fire caused by the previous tracks. I wouldn’t mind if CC was the hidden track, or only part of the single. I sing along, it’s catchy, but still… Skipping songs still breaks my heart; I hate doing that with Kristy and Fix you and now I have to hate myself for doing this with CC…

All I Have Left Is You: A Lot Like Me voice again in the beginning does not make me happy. But then again the voice gets much much much better. The crying guitar is a treat to my ears so I have to say this is a great song. I would love to hear it live and hopefully Dexter's voice will be different from studio.

OC Guns: The song got me at the very beginning. The clack of the glass bottles reminded me of a movie I live very much – The Warriors. Dexter’s voice is terrific, the mariachi band is just genius and the clash-311 vibe to it just adds to the fun. Now that’s what I am talking about; this is the kind of fun song that has Offspring written all over it.

Dirty Magic: Still no. I am not saying it is bad, I try but I can’t like it. The chorus with “Go on…” doesn’t sound good to me since the acoustic version – never liked it. In addition, I like the unpolished sound to the Ignition version. The new one sounds too overworked to me; not to the point of skipping it though.

I Wanna a Secret Family With You: The heart beat drum sound at the beginning made me giggle, and I believe this song has more of a pop-summer-Offspring-thing than CC. I dare say this would have been a dead on single. I like Dexter’s voice a lot in this one too. The backing vocal at the “I’m such a lonely man” is neat. (How do I write that sound?)

Dividing By Zero: How can one describe this? I have to disagree with RonWelty this time for this song IS a masterpiece. The intro is completely Smash-esque, reminding of Not the One. Drum intro kicks some fucking ass. I can’t translate my thoughts very well because I cannot do anything but feel.

Slim Pickens: Something else that I love very much about the Offspring is that they manage to put two songs that are completely different but somehow complement each other. First Never gonna find me + Lightning Rod and now Dividing by Zero + Slim Pickens. What I love about these is that the transition between the first two is the guitar, and the last two is the drums. Moreover, I love the memory of Burn it up it brings out on me. Chorus is catchy and awesome to sing along too.

All in all, the cd is beyond what I expected and I am extremely satisfied with the way it makes me feel at the moment. There is no better way of being proved wrong.

Good Job, The Offspring.:)

NoGuessing
06-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Nice review, but your disk seems to be missing All I Have Left Is You.:p

Camila
06-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Nice review, but your disk seems to be missing All I Have Left Is You.:p

Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out.

GamerKT
06-22-2012, 10:10 PM
The backing vocal at the “I’m such a lonely man” is neat. (How do I write that sound?)

Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo?

Camila
06-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo?

I guess that would be it. Thank you.

Eskimo
06-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Let's all mock Camila now. Backpeddling and eating her own foot and generally being all repenting-like.

Storm in a teacup over CC. Hah, har-har, etc. Yeaaahhh.

You seriously don't get to cause such a clusterfuck attack on mods and other users and just come back and be all "i aktually lik album afterallz. mabe i over-reeakt? lol".

Fuck ye, lady.

GamerKT
06-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Let's all mock Camila now. Backpeddling and eating her own foot and generally being all repenting-like.

You seriously don't get to cause such a clusterfuck attack on mods and other users and just come back and be all "i aktually lik album afterallz. mabe i over-reeakt? lol".

Fuck ye, lady.

Can we please not start stuff like this? I don't know; we're all pretty content here with this new album. We don't have to start being hostile for no reason.

Camila
06-22-2012, 10:24 PM

Fuck ye, lady.

What is your problem? Not getting enough attention from me? If you have a crush on me, do it like a man and let's talk on private. I promise I will not print screen it;)

NoGuessing
06-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Can we not have a flame war in the cool thread?

We already have the zfklsl;fls';s;s;ks;fsfl guy that people keep feeding attention to.

Eskimo
06-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Oh, cut the victimization shit. You were way out of line a week ago with pretty much everyone, and just expect to pretend like your little psycho-storm never happened.

Maybe go apologize to the mods, then the vitriol might wane a little.

GamerKT
06-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey, let's hate vionline instead.

uashuasuuhausua

Eskimo
06-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Common trolls pass quickly. We could potentially be stuck with Camila.

Rooster
06-23-2012, 01:18 AM
The more I listen to the album, the less Turning Into You sounds like Ready to Fall. Or maybe it's just that the vague similarity bothers me less and less (mind you, by vague similarity I mean that there's a tiny part of the song that only reminds me of Rise Against, it's nothing major or worth any concern).

And I'm getting a huge Bad Religion vibe from Slim Pickens, I can hear their influence in there (but it doesn't remind me of any BR song in particular) :)

And I'm enjoying Cruising California more now. I still think it would be better if it were replaced with some other song, but hell, if it's here I might as well give it a chance. It is a fun song :o

The Search Button
06-23-2012, 02:41 AM
And I'm enjoying Cruising California more now. I still think it would be better if it were replaced with some other song, but hell, if it's here I might as well give it a chance. It is a fun song :o

You might want to be careful.

I've heard that if you like CC some parts of your body will rotten and fall to the ground.

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 02:47 AM
I've realised what exactly irks me so much about CC, and turns it from being so-so track that's merely "okay" but hardly a classic, to being intolerable. It's that R&B/Hip-hop female vocal. That grates on my nerves so much I can't tell you!

Even without that, it would be the worst track on the album easily, but at least it would have been tolerable. lol

Rooster
06-23-2012, 02:49 AM
You might want to be careful.

I've heard that if you like CC some parts of your body will rotten and fall to the ground.

Does it make any sense when I say that I both like and hate it with passion? It's still hard to comprehend that this song was done by The Offspring. I'm laughing because it's so ridiculous (as in bad), and bobbing my head because it's fun.

Somebody should dub this song over the video of the Numa Numa guy. It might just go viral :D

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 02:55 AM
Does it make any sense when I say that I both like and hate it with passion?

Not at all! I can see the appeal of it, and the chorus is undeniably fun and catchy. But on the other hand... I just find it overtly ridiculous even for The Offspring (especially the verses), that I shake my head and think "what were you thinking guys?!". Even though during the chorus I definitely feel an urge to sing along with it. lol :p

nightvision
06-23-2012, 02:57 AM
And I'm getting a huge Bad Religion vibe from Slim Pickens, I can hear their influence in there (but it doesn't remind me of any BR song in particular) :)

I hear Gotta Get Away and Conspiracy of One in Slim Pickens.

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 03:17 AM
There's definitely a similarity between the Slim Pickens verses and the chorus of Gotta Get Away. lol

Rooster
06-23-2012, 03:36 AM
I hear Gotta Get Away and Conspiracy of One in Slim Pickens.

Didn't think of that before, but now that you mention it I kind of see it too :)

vionline
06-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Can we not have a flame war in the cool thread?

We already have the zfklsl;fls';s;s;ks;fsfl guy that people keep feeding attention to.

Im just a kid and life is a nightmareeeeee!!!
GO LISTEN SIMPLE PLAN, kid!

mat.kc.
06-23-2012, 10:35 AM
As for Slim Pickens, I hear a slight resemblance to Rock Bottom. Perhaps a more twisted, harder version? Love this track. :D

GamerKT
06-23-2012, 10:36 AM
O.C. Guns is actually amazing... It grew on me like a fungus.

vionline
06-23-2012, 10:44 AM
O.C. Guns is actually amazing... It grew on me like a fungus.

The worst song on the album... sorry

GamerKT
06-23-2012, 10:51 AM
The worst song on the album... sorry

Your opinion has no affect on my enjoyment of things. Sorry.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Nope, but we are massive fans of Rise Against Me And The Machines!
Oh man, that was clever.

It's obviously not your opinion about the album. It's your dickface illiteracy and insistence on acting like a cantaloupe-molester.
You come up with the coolest insults and adjectives in general.

Moose
06-23-2012, 12:27 PM
This is probably going to be a long post...

I also didn't want to post too quickly...since the last time around I said Rise and fall, Rage and Grace was their best album since ixnay (but not better) right after it came out.

I dont believe that to be so anymore...I find myself listening to about half or so of the tracks on RFRG, and skipping the rest...I'd rank it behind most of their albums with the exception of Splinter (their worst album). Although Americana has some awful songs, they have some great ones that it simply cant be ignored so it stands above RFRG. Americana and CO1 are on about the same level. CO1 solid, but possibly unspectacular, while Americana has some real standout moments, only to be let down by several songs.

Anyhow, onto Days Go By...

My opinions may change, but this album is much stronger than RFRG, and is their most consistent album since CO1, and possibly Ixnay (not getting ahead of myself).

RFRG didnt have the proper glue as an album...the same can be said for splinter I guess. CO1 didnt have any real spectacular songs, and even a couple you may skip (OP)...but it was a solid album, and it felt like an album.

While I appreciate the effort made by the band on RFRG, it just didnt work as an album. Instead, you had some great songs, surrounded by some poor ones, but even then, it just didnt glue together (despite some of the awful songs on americana, it felt like an album). Maybe I am just off on this. The album had too many odds and ends...maybe a simple lack of direction.

Days Go By feels much more like an album. Although in the future I will probably be skipping these tracks, I am currently making myself to listen to CC and All I Have Left Is You, and even with those 2 tracks, the album is strong.

Music is hard to understand, breakdown, and get right (not to mention everyone has a personal preference of what is good music), even with the proper study in it, but I dont really agree that DGB is a branch off from RFRG as I have been reading by some.

RFRG had a load of melodies in each song...DGB seems more simple in melodies, but much more revved up in harmonies and musical intricacies.

RFRG seemed to lack direction. So the end result was an album that just felt odd. DGB makes sense. Even with the really odd CC, and the change of pace in All I Have Left Is You. Not to mention OC Guns, which is well done, and I am not sure why there would be any hate towards it...also, OC Guns is not a joke song. It may sound quirky, and the delivery may seem quirky, but the song is not a joke. I have seen people refer to it as such, not sure why...It isn't written that blatantly saying, "gangs all around OC and they are killing", but basically, that is what it is referencing. It is the opposite of the silly, catchy, yet horrible, Cruising California...two side of the coin i suppose...

...but even with these songs, DGB feels cohesive, and makes sense as an album. The songs work off of each other...For me and some others, the song days go by just didnt really work when we heard it as a single. It was like eh, okay. But on this album, and not as a single, it works much better. It fits in and seems even better than what it is. This is what an album is. A collection of songs that build and work together (and perhaps have a theme or tell a story). They dont have to sound the same for this to occur...the same way a film doesnt have the same type of scenes over and over for it to work...

...this may not make sense to some or anyone, but basically, the album doesnt come off as a bunch of scattered pieces, or even possibly, trying way too hard this time around...

...each offspring album has it's own distinct sound. For the most part, each of these "sounds, "themes", "style", or whatever you want to call them, work together. The self-titled is different from ignition, ignition different from smash, smash different from ixnay, ixnay different from americana and so on. They are their own album...standing alone. I feel like splinter and rfrg have their own sound, but it just doesnt work in the end as an album...this may come down to the fact that they just had too many weak songs on it for them to be good, but it also just didnt have that glue...CO1 isnt amazing, but it has that glue that makes it a solid album.

DGB seems like it has influences from bad religion and rise against, whereas it felt like RFRG seemed to have many more influences. Despite people pointing out similarities of songs, the only time I really got "irked" (seems like the most commonly used term on this forum recently), is Dexter's voice and vocal delivery on Turning Into You. It is the first real time he sounds like the singer from Rise Against...I think the song, considering the opening riff, may have called for a different type of vocal sound...but Im no expert...and I think I'd like the pace to be quicker along with the whole song, but this "irk" will fade. And is really minor in the scheme of things, just pointing it out.

I tend to ignore the whole sounds like this song for the most part, just because even amazing bands have been accused of this time and time again...and even out-right stealing. This dates back to Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones...so unless it is just outright egregious, i tend to ignore it the best i can now...although I must admit, when it is really really obvious, it can be quite annoying.

On to some other specific songs:

I wanna have a secret family with you is the most well done humor song the offspring have done since ixnay. That should be pointed out. I can actually listen to that song and enjoy it...and not cringe...it is well done.

Oh and as for dirty magic. I am enjoying it. It is different enough that it has a reason to exist, and fits on the album...but not so different that it should just be a different song. it is a nice balancing act that the band pulled off and they should get kudos for that. I, and I think just about every fan, will prefer the original, but this new version is not bad at all, and works for the album...If the band does make another album, however, hopefully it is just all new (unheard) material.

Slim Pickens is probably my favorite song on the album. I like the future is now, but for some reason, I feel like it should be better...every once in a while this happens (ie lightning rod)...i dont know what it is...but it is still a highlight on the album, and a good song...i think it actually might end up being better live.

I also think OC Guns is another highlight, as is dividing by zero. Secrets from the underground probably should be mentioned as well...Plenty of good songs, but rambling on so much already...

...I have some other thoughts, but decided not to post them, as this is already too long...maybe another time.

Id probably give DGB a 7 or 7.5 out of 10...or on the widely used star chart, a 3.25 or 3.5 out of 5..somewhere in that range...dont wanna get ahead of myself on the rating, but also dont wanna do it an injustice...its basically meaningless in the end...time will tell how much i actually enjoy the album and each song.

Camila
06-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Common trolls pass quickly. We could potentially be stuck with Camila.

My admirer. Aw!

Eskimo
06-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Seriously, though, it's awfully shitty of you to even be back here, behaving all regular-poster-y.

Guess there aren't consequences for people who've had friendly meetings with the band, no matter what type of entitled childish bullshit they pull.

Glad you're proud of yourself, you're a total stand-up gal there, Prissy Victimized McGee.

Camila
06-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Seriously, though, it's awfully shitty of you to even be back here, behaving all regular-poster-y.

No, it's not shitty. You're the only one who has a problem with it. The others who don't like me are getting along well either having me on their ignoring list or simply not replying to what I say. I don't get what your problem is. If you're perfect in your human being-ness good for you. I am entitled to make mistakes and repent - I'm not ashamed of that. Who the fuck are you to tell me what I should do or not anyway?

Guess there aren't consequences for people who've had friendly meetings with the band, no matter what type of entitled childish bullshit they pull.

You're kidding right?! So does that mean I should be prohibited to attend concerts too? Or by their cd? Now who'es being the troll here? All your posts are usually to humiliate other members...

Glad you're proud of yourself, you're a total stand-up gal there, Prissy Victimized McGee.

I'm not proud of what I did. I've already talked to people to whom I owed apologies and I don't need to explain things to you. Like I said, you're more than welcome to put me in your ignore list.

Eskimo
06-23-2012, 01:20 PM
You're kidding right?! So does that mean I should be prohibited to attend concerts too? Or by their cd?

Stop being stupid. Seriously.

I'm not proud of what I did. I've already talked to people to whom I owed apologies

Ah, so there was some asskissing behind the scenes. That's a different story. So long as you've done the humble seppuku, that's something. You really can't run around a forum fuming about your "right to an opinion" and how you're being oppressed when the mods pretty clearly just asked you to tone down your Cruising California negative ranting a little.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-23-2012, 02:07 PM
This album is just gold. It's like I can pick any part of the album and love it, Except All I Have Left Is You. On RAFRAG I would just skip until I got to SIFU and then just stop listening when Rock Bottom ended.

They Have really outdone themselves here. My only complain is that the album is a little bit short. They could have made it with one or two more songs. Maybe they could have made some songs longer. And something else but I forgot.

Rooster
06-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't think it's too long, not to me at least. 12 songs and 42 minutes is bang on. But of course, this is just my opinion :)

SapoCocas
06-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Hello. It's my first time here but I have read the forum for some time and have also been a fan of The Offspring for some years.

Here's my review on Days Go By, song by song:

1: The Future Is Now (8/10) - I like the song, specially the intro and it certainly has a RA vibe to it. The chorus is good in general too, not catchy but still sounds good. What I don't like about it is the last bridge, with Dexter singing, it's a bit weird.

2: Secrets From The Underground (9/10) - The lyrics are very good, and even though it's a bit "dark", it's still a fun song to listen to. The chorus is very well made and it's one of my favourites from the album.

3: Days Go By (8/10) - I also like this song. It's calm, serious and has a meaning behind it. Although, I don't agree with the choice for single just because it doesn't represent the album (same thing and even more with CC).

4: Turning Into You (9/10) - This song is very good but could be even better. I'm not a big fan of the intro and the first verses are a bit repetitive. But I love the bridge into the chorus and the chorus itself. I'd say it's the best chorus on DGB.

5: Hurting As One (9/10) - It reminds me of Something To Believe In from Smash and it's good to hear the old "Whoas" are back. It's definitely an old school Offspring song and I love that.

6: Cruising California (5/10) - I don't see it as a joke song but as a fun song, just like Dexter discribed it. It's not suposed to be offensive or funny, it's only a portrait of life in California, so what better to discribe it than a pop song? But it's still only a pop song, so...Shouldn't have been a single cause it doesn't represent the album nor is a good song.

7:All I Have Left Is You (7/10) - A ballad with a good melody, but not as good as Denial, Revisited, which also sounded more sincere. It's still a good song but not one of their best.

8: OC Guns (7/10) - There's a lot to say about this one. What I like about it are the ska sounds that we hadn't heard from The Offspring in some time and also the lyrics, which are hilarious. In the other hand, they ruined the song with those weird sounds during the ska riff. It also gets repetitive after a while, it should be shorter.

9: Dirty Magic (10/10) - The original song was already great so there wasn't much space to improve. I loved the intro, when the distorted guitar appears. The solo is also better because of the guitar behind playing the chords. But I feel like the chorus lost some intensity because Dexter's voice isn't as loud (because the guitars are too loud) as in the original version. Still, I'm very happy with the result.

10: I Wanna Secret Family (With You) (9/10) - This is clearly a rock 'n roll song. Could easily have been written by The Police or The Rolling Stones. It's got a good energy, catchy chorus and also funny lyrics. It's one of my favourites.

11: Dividing By Zero (10/10) - It's my favourite song along with Slim Pickens. Love the Take It Like A Man intro, it's certainly got an Ignition sound to it. Wonder if they had this song for years but only finished it now. Love the chorus, the lyrics, the bridges and also the solo with the egyptian sound. It's perfect.

12: Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell (10/10) - First of all, love the transition from DB0 to SPDTRTARTBTH with the drums. For the rest the same thing, great and original lyrics, great and simple riff with lots of palm mutting, great chorus... It's a classic Offspring punk song with a fast pace and yet so simple. Should be the next single. BTW, best song title ever.

Overall, it's a very solid album with a wide variety of songs, aproaching Americana and CO1 and better than RAFRAG but with poorly chosen singles. But I couldn't care less about the singles, as long as the album is good...

Rooster
06-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Hey, first let me say that your review is good. And secondly, welcome to the forum! :)

It was pretty much the same case with me, I was lurking around for a while and then I joined the forum the day RAFRAG was streamed online. Damn, it's been 4 years already...

SapoCocas
06-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Hey, first let me say that your review is good. And secondly, welcome to the forum! :)

It was pretty much the same case with me, I was lurking around for a while and then I joined the forum the day RAFRAG was streamed online. Damn, it's been 4 years already...

Thanks! I also started coming to the site by then to listen to the RAFRAG singles.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-23-2012, 03:10 PM

I'm sorry but I think you're way out of line here. Camilia hasn't been causing any trouble for a while now, and it's good that she's being respectful. It's absurd that you are upset because she is behaving all "regular-poster-y". Is there something more she should do to earn forgiveness before she's allowed to be part of the community?

I like her attitude adjustment, and you shouldn't try to engage her in so many arguments over the past.

Llamas
06-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Eskimo, I find myself agreeing with you a lot, but not here. Camila's a long-time member of this board, and this is the first time she's ever had a serious problem here (as far as I know, and I've been here for 6 years). This community gives people second chances. Hell, this community gives people 200th chances. If anyone shouldn't be here anymore, it's HAU. That guy has consistently caused problems (though he's being relatively okay lately... we'll see if that lasts). I'm all about second chances, though. Everyone fucks up now and then.

Eskimo
06-24-2012, 12:17 AM
She made a giant fucking deal about leaving, going as far as to ask to have her account deleted, leaving in a hissy-fit rage.

Only to come back a week later and pretend like it never happened.

I pretty much agree with the assertion that it shouldn't enter other threads, I also just feel it should be mentioned. "Second chances" is one thing for someone who infringed on a rule or two, but the bullshit vitriol toward people running this place and asking to have her account removed, just being back is inflammatory in itself. Like, what the fuck would you expect?

"Hey, mod, go eat a penis, I'll say whut'i'waaaaaant." - "Oh, hey, that new album's pretty rad, hay guyz?"

GamerKT
06-24-2012, 12:33 AM
She made a giant fucking deal about leaving

And you're making a giant fucking deal about her coming back... Let's just drop it.

Sara MZK
06-24-2012, 01:23 AM
"Hey, mod, go eat a penis, I'll say whut'i'waaaaaant."

Did she really say that? All I can say is, on some messageboards, that would have warranted a permanent ban...

I can't say much about these shenanigans as I personally didn't witness them, but I think for the sake of the boards, this fighting right now should stop. It is ruining threads, seeing Eskimo and Camila fighting all the time...

Eskimo
06-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Again, you could read the context.

GamerKT
06-24-2012, 01:33 AM
Again, you could read the context.

I was "there" when she did all her ranting. We're all over it. I think you're literally the only one who still cares. It'd be cool if we could just drop it.

Eskimo
06-24-2012, 01:49 AM
.....Bewbz.

Rooster
06-24-2012, 02:04 AM
I didn't agree with her either, but let's just drop it now, ok? Because all it creates is just MORE useless negativity. I also agree with Eskimo a lot of times, but this isn't one of those times. Come on dude, leave it and enjoy discussing the new album, which is what this thread is for :)

Eskimo
06-24-2012, 03:06 AM
It just shits bricks she more or less gets away with it, live and let live, water under the bridge, mooses under the Kim Jong Ils, etc.

Sets a precedent. Been here a while? Piss all over people doing a job, because you're in a tantrum over one song that's unrepresentative of an album. Feel entitled? Fuck everyone else, nobody'll remember in a week.

Llamas
06-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Seriously, Eskimo, fucking drop it. Really nobody else cares except you.

Eskimo
06-24-2012, 03:53 AM
Well arright-arright, says Matthew McConaghanenenini.

randman21
06-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Hello. It's my first time here but I have read the forum for some time and have also been a fan of The Offspring for some years.

Here's my review on Days Go By, song by song:

Great review! I guess I don't need to do one, because ours we almost be the same. Except I'd probably give Days Go By one less point and OC Guns one more.

Camila
06-24-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't really know why I'm wasting my time answering Eskimo. Really. Someone who just joined the boards.... anyways...

I've been here for 8 years and never had problems with anybody. There was no ass kicking like you assumed, but yes I talked to Sarah and Oxygene and apologized. They've seen me around enough time to know that that was an extremely unusual behavior from my part. Other long-time members can also tell you that like Ilovellamas did.

I made a big deal about deleting my account because I was ashamed by the way I overreacted to things, but yes I came back a week later because there are a lot of people here I care really care about; people that I really admire.

Is that enough explanation for you now?

GamerKT
06-24-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't really know why I'm wasting my time answering Eskimo. Really. Someone who just joined the boards.... anyways...

Okay, I'm siding with you, but, seriously, stop implying that "new" members or members with a low number of posts are inferior. I'm sick of your seniority shit. I just joined here a year ago, and my opinions are every bit as valid as yours. Stop it.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Okay, I'm siding with you, but, seriously, stop implying that "new" members or members with a low number of posts are inferior. I'm sick of your seniority shit. I just joined here a year ago, and my opinions are every bit as valid as yours. Stop it.
While I agree that post count is not a measure of superiority, the fact that Eskimo has barely posted here does make it bizarre that he cares so much about all this drama.

To be completely fair, though, he did drop it. I propose that we all do.

Sara MZK
06-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Yep, very true. Having a high post count doesn't make your opinion anymore valid than someone with a low number of posts. Likewise, the length of time spent on a messageboard has no baring on the validity (or lack thereof) of someone's opinions.

keonii7
06-24-2012, 11:25 AM
You guys are all dividing by numbers greater than or less than zero.

Cut that out.

Y'all should be doing one of two things right now:
1. Bumpin' in your trunk
2. Doing the right thing and riding that bomb

-Ignition-
06-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Yep, very true. Having a high post count doesn't make your opinion anymore valid than someone with a low number of posts. Likewise, the length of time spent on a messageboard has no baring on the validity (or lack thereof) of someone's opinions.

And further on, the join date doesn't tell for how long someone's been lurking the boards without creating an account.

Camila
06-24-2012, 11:44 AM

Before you start talking to me as if you are the voice of reason, think about it carefully PLEASE. For one, I am not using the time I have been posting here as a demonstration of superiority; I mention it because Eskimo, very much like yourself, has NOT known me enough to judge me for what happened between Sarah, Oxygene and me. All the crap Eskimo is being dumping all over the board saying that I mistreated mods (plural tense) and other members is not true. What happened at the best show ever thread was besides the argument between 3 people, it was me trying to defend myself from people like Eskimo and other new members flaming me for no reason at all. Go back and check to see if older members were doing it. Secondly, I have never EVER had problems with new members and this time because of ONE mistake in 8 freaking years I have been taking all sorts of crap from people who barely know my behavior here.

While I agree that post count is not a measure of superiority, the fact that Eskimo has barely posted here does make it bizarre that he cares so much about all this drama.

Thank you.

Again, read before stating your opinion. There is a problem going on because Eskimo is the jerk now having a temper tantrum because of me. He needs to stop crapping all over me for something that has NOTHING to do with him. You have been here long enough to know that I've never had problems with anybody or mistreated other members. There was A SINGLE problem with two people and several new members are talking to me as if they had the damn right to fucking judge me without even knowing what they are saying.

Chainsaw
06-24-2012, 11:51 AM

Say the people with low postcounts.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 12:51 PM
I still haven't done my track-by-track review yet. I'll have to do that later.

Back on topic :)

Moose
06-24-2012, 01:14 PM
sick hijack.

SapoCocas
06-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Great review! I guess I don't need to do one, because ours we almost be the same. Except I'd probably give Days Go By one less point and OC Guns one more.

Thanks!:D

Now that I have listened to it a bit more, I would agree with giving OC Guns one more. But still think Days Go By is worth 8/10 though.

SapoCocas
06-24-2012, 01:47 PM
You guys are all dividing by numbers greater than or less than zero.

Cut that out.

Y'all should be doing one of two things right now:
1. Bumpin' in your trunk
2. Doing the right thing and riding that bomb

How about starting a secret family, is it also acceptable?

dff_punk
06-24-2012, 02:33 PM
How about starting a secret family, is it also acceptable?

Depends on how much of a lonely man are you.

KennedyDK
06-24-2012, 02:47 PM
I am a senior member ;)

Sara MZK
06-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Again, read before stating your opinion. There is a problem going on because Eskimo is the jerk now having a temper tantrum because of me. He needs to stop crapping all over me for something that has NOTHING to do with him. You have been here long enough to know that I've never had problems with anybody or mistreated other members. There was A SINGLE problem with two people and several new members are talking to me as if they had the damn right to fucking judge me without even knowing what they are saying.

I was merely stating my opinion on that one thing you said. I've already stated I can't comment on the actual incident/s as I didn't personally witness them. I am not taking his side.

Say the people with low postcounts.

I really hope you're just joking.

Rooster
06-24-2012, 03:36 PM
I should say that Days Go By is an excellent driving album, especially when you're going on a holiday. Went to the sea for a day, listening to the album on the way there, and it felt fantastic! :)

Ristifer
06-24-2012, 03:50 PM
I should say that Days Go By is an excellent driving album, especially when you're going on a holiday. Went to the sea for a day, listening to the album on the way there, and it felt fantastic! :)
This is what I was hoping for haha. I love good driving albums, and The Offspring usually deliver in that regard.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 03:57 PM
I am a senior member ;)
No, you're not :)

Eskimo
06-25-2012, 02:20 AM

Nein. 01/02, somewhere around there. Vamoosed a few times, passwords were off fornicating with the fairies in the stars upon return and memory lapsing. Probably been here as long as you, give or take, perhaps more. Long deserted periods between albums leave not a lot but general-section smalltalk going on here, as you well know, not a whole lot of point posting regularly when there's nary a tidbit of news.

Assuming makes a pube-muncher out of you and me, says teacher.

EDIT* I just said "nary" and "tidbit". The fuck is wrong with me? Booze-time.

SåS
06-25-2012, 03:16 AM
https://www.facebook.com/virgilio.torres.31

vionline's facebook, if anybody wants to fuck with him.