PDA

View Full Version : Old or new Dirty Magic?

effreyj
06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm personally not a huge fan of the new one. What do you guys think?

hshduppsnt
06-19-2012, 03:31 PM
^ Complete opposite... I love the new one

Rooster
06-19-2012, 03:32 PM
This is gonna be a tough one...

mat.kc.
06-19-2012, 03:33 PM
The original version was in my top three "all time favourites" since its inception. Days Go By challenges that. I think the new one tops the original, which says a lot. The chorus is beautiful.

DMelges
06-19-2012, 03:34 PM
New one! I'm having a bit of a hard time getting used to the backvocals in the chorus (which although I think is a good ideia I think are a little to high), but just the fact of having this song in a better quality makes it totally worth it.

Outerspaceman21
06-19-2012, 03:35 PM
I like both, but I got to go with the original. It's better. New version is a bit more rock, whereas the original had that TSOL vibe that I liked.

The Search Button
06-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Mommy, can't I have both?

RonWelty
06-19-2012, 03:40 PM
new Dirty Magic replaced gone away as my second favorite song. Gotta get away is still first.

KHWHD
06-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Both, always been in my top ten. But I see a difference, there's a lot more bass in the new one.

momo91
06-19-2012, 03:45 PM
New one. Great work.

the hitcher
06-19-2012, 03:49 PM
sorry but i cant choose,i guess its what mood im in when i listen , but both versions have got diffrent properties and i like them both. the old one for me has got alot of nostalgia
i do think that the new one is geting the point of the song over stronger.
very cool either way:cool:

the_real_potomek
06-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Both of them, obviously.

brothadave79
06-19-2012, 04:01 PM
New one. They took a good thing and made it more powerful - the third guitar at 0:23 blew me away. And they didn't ruin the vocals and feel of the song like Bad Religion did to 21st C. Digital Boy.

RonWelty
06-19-2012, 04:35 PM
New one. They took a good thing and made it more powerful - the third guitar at 0:23 blew me away. And they didn't ruin the vocals and feel of the song like Bad Religion did to 21st C. Digital Boy.

that third guitar that you refer is the best improvement

hshduppsnt
06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
that third guitar that you refer is the best improvement

followed closely by the vocal addition to the chorus

DeeThree
06-19-2012, 04:59 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg829/scaled.php?server=829&filename=bothc.jpg&res=landing

GamerKT
06-19-2012, 05:03 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg829/scaled.php?server=829&filename=bothc.jpg&res=landing

^^^^^^^^^^

DarrellOCguy
06-19-2012, 05:19 PM

LOL this is just great. I like the old one better but the new one fits very well.

little-miller
06-19-2012, 05:53 PM
The old one by far, not keen on the new one especially with the chorus, wasnt expecting the chorus to be that bad, but maybe cause im just so use to the origional dirty magic i dont know, it may grow on it, but for now im not a big fan of it, so im gonna say Old Dirty Magic.

cool 2 hate 681
06-19-2012, 05:55 PM
ignition version

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-19-2012, 06:24 PM
This was beautifully redone. I love both.

randman21
06-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Definitely old. I've always disliked that "go on and pull the shades" etc, thing that he sometimes does in live versions. The original chorus is perfect. And while almost everything else in the new version is an improvement, it's enough to make me vote this way.

RedFox
06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
The version of "Ignition" is faster than the new ..
but I cannot choose. !

F@ BANKZ
06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
old. in simple terms it's a matter of raw vs polished sound and with the offspring I will normally always side with raw. the rawness of the original on many levels suits the raw, broken emotion the song represents.

brothadave79
06-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Definitely old. I've always disliked that "go on and pull the shades" etc, thing that he sometimes does in live versions. The original chorus is perfect. And while almost everything else in the new version is an improvement, it's enough to make me vote this way.

I always liked it better. Hence my vote goes the opposite way.

_Lost_
06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Definitely the old one. The new one is fuller, but it feels like it almost drags to me. I like the grimeyness of the original.

Americana98
06-19-2012, 09:48 PM
The new one. To me it does everything the old one did and then some.

TheJakes84
06-19-2012, 10:11 PM
vintage DM ignition :o
Down with both. :o

Smash punker
06-20-2012, 06:31 AM
The one that was done 20 years ago :)

danitanev
06-20-2012, 07:04 AM
I love both songs - the new and the old versions!

D0NT
06-20-2012, 07:10 AM
loved the new one, but still rather the original version. The slight change in the lyrics ( COME ON AND...) shocks me a little.

it still sounds beautifull and modern version but its really similar to the original too, they intend on purpose not to change it too much and that goes to show, dont think it was a risked enough version.

Still fcking glad they will now play it live, and maybe even make it a single :D

Degstur Lolland
06-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Considering they did such a great job on it, the new one. One of the best tracks on the new album. The old one doesn't go away however.

Krojd
06-20-2012, 09:01 AM
The new one is not bad at all (well, it's Dirty magic) but I go with the old one.

Blitz!
06-20-2012, 12:13 PM
old. in simple terms it's a matter of raw vs polished sound and with the offspring I will normally always side with raw.

This

Definitely the old one. The new one is fuller, but it feels like it almost drags to me. I like the grimeyness of the original.

... and this. I voted for the Ignition version for these reasons. The original version has more of a vintage feel to it.

Degstur Lolland
06-20-2012, 12:46 PM
I'd say time to move on, dear tru punx. :D

killboybowerhead
06-20-2012, 01:18 PM
i think the old one has more dynamics. I kinda really prefer the old one. Shitty can be pretty.

vionline
06-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Lazy guys!!!

DarrellOCguy
06-20-2012, 02:16 PM
When it comes out on vinyl i will adjust the pitch. The only thing that ruined the song for me was that they slowed it down. It sounds better faster :D. I thought it sounded amazing despite the slower speed

mrconeman
06-20-2012, 05:06 PM

This is pretty much exactly what I would have said. Although the backing vocals in the new one (that pretty much constantly go "ahhhhhhh ahhhhh") kind of annoy me too. The new version is definitely great, but the original is still better. "Go on and" doesn't need to be there.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-20-2012, 05:09 PM
I just wanted to say, when both versions are so good, who gives a fuck?

TheJakes84
06-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Days Go By Version lyrics:

In my own simple way
I think she wants me only
She said "Come over right away"

But she's just not that way
Her little soul is stolen
See her put on her brand new face

Go on and pull the shades
Razor blades
You're so tragic

Go on, I hate you so
But love you more
So elastic

Oh all the things you say
Games you play
Dirty magics...

I should know better than
To think I'd reach inside her
It's all a cloudy kind of daze

She's not so sweet today
She mocks me, I'm no fighter
It all just seems like such a waste

Razor blades
You're so tragic

Go on, I hate you so
But love you more
So elastic

Games you play
Dirty magics...

It's oversimplified
It's oversimplified
It's oversimplified

Razor blades
You're so tragic

Go on, I hate you so
But love you more
So elastic

Games you play
Dirty magics...

Ignition Version lyrics:

In my own simple way
I think she wants me only
She said," Come over right away."
But she's just not that way
Her little soul is stolen
See her put on her brand new face

[Chorus]
Pull the shades
Razor blades
You're so tragic
I hate you so
but love you more
I'm so elastic
The things you say
Games you play
Dirty magic

I should know better than to think I'd reach inside her
It's all a cloudy kind of daze
She's not so sweet today
She mocks me, I'm no fighter
It all just seems like such a waste

[Chorus]

It's oversimplified [x3]

disclaimer_07
06-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Dirty Magic :)

TheJakes84
06-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Down with both versions! :)

BagOfShenanigans
06-21-2012, 06:03 PM
So... no one else know what the new lyrics were going to be from the acoustic version they played a few years back?

For shame.

GamerKT
06-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Dirty Magic is obviously better.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Original Prankster.

Chainsaw
06-21-2012, 06:13 PM
What's my age again?

TheJakes84
06-21-2012, 06:15 PM
So... no one else know what the new lyrics were going to be from the acoustic version they played a few years back?

For shame.

Huh? What's going on? What happend? What version? What year?

mascerveza
06-21-2012, 07:10 PM
I hate the background vocals during the chorus... Faggot style.

mascerveza
06-21-2012, 07:11 PM
OLD ONE. The background vocals in the new chorus are VERY GAY.

Supa
06-21-2012, 07:26 PM
He's referring to the acoustic version on the DualDisc Greatest Hits album.

commonrider5447
06-21-2012, 09:30 PM
I like the original more but I appreciate the new twist on it on DGB.

The new lyrics added to the chorus are cool, but I miss that rockin guitar part right before "pull the shades..." it's fun to play on guitar.

weezly
06-21-2012, 10:23 PM
I like the original more but I appreciate the new twist on it on DGB.

The new lyrics added to the chorus are cool, but I miss that rockin guitar part right before "pull the shades..." it's fun to play on guitar.

what the hell, the old version sucks compared to the new, the new is dark and sinister, the old is thin and boring

weezly
06-21-2012, 10:26 PM
i said this previous but the old one sucks compared with the new, the new is mean dark and sinister, i love it, the old one is dated, thin and boring (in comparison) anyone who says the old is only saying due to nostalgic value, this new album is there best, none of there old ones come close

TheJakes84
06-21-2012, 10:32 PM
The old shall remain a classic/original. But this remake makes it sound a lot modern and sexy.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Serious answer: I still like the choruses of the old version better, but I like the rest of the new version better. I'm not a big fan of the overbearing backing vocals they added to the chorus, in part because it drowns out the guitar riff that was so awesome in the old chorus. But I love the reinforced guitars elsewhere in the song, and the sound of the instruments overall is better in the new one.

Blah there are 2 threads about this wtf.

Mission from God
06-22-2012, 02:26 AM
I like the old Dirty Magic. Yes, the sound in the new version is good, but the Dexter voice in the first version is more "true".

Hey Man Where's Everybody
06-22-2012, 03:29 AM
The old one is far superior. The new one is super-glossy and overcooked.

julabard
06-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Old one for sure.
I've never liked re-recording old album songs, but occasionally it is neccesary. This was not.

Dirty Magic
06-22-2012, 08:52 AM
While I could see why people would prefer the old version for nostalgic purposes, I personally think the new version slaughters the Ignition version. It makes me wish they would re-record all of Ignition.

Llamas
06-22-2012, 10:00 AM
While I could see why people would prefer the old version for nostalgic purposes, I personally think the new version slaughters the Ignition version. It makes me wish they would re-record all of Ignition.

For real!!! I was listening to a bunch of songs on shuffle earlier, and during Forever and a Day and Burn it Up, I was thinking about how AMAZING they'd be if they were redone like DM. Omg.

MillionMiles
06-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi All,

long time reader, just decided to register after years due to the new album excitment!

Im so on the fence with this. I agree with some people here regarding the chorus, he added to it and it screws me up when I sing along lol. ;)

I love the opening, however to me it almost sounds like somone trying to do a cover of the offspring who is trying to sound like Dexter :p

GamerKT
06-22-2012, 11:16 AM
For real!!! I was listening to a bunch of songs on shuffle earlier, and during Forever and a Day and Burn it Up, I was thinking about how AMAZING they'd be if they were redone like DM. Omg.

We should bitch about this until it happens.

Oxygene
06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
I like the new one better, but both versions are fucking epic.. I don't care which one they play live :D Best would be if they did both..

Smash punker
06-23-2012, 08:01 AM
what the hell, the old version sucks compared to the new, the new is dark and sinister, the old is thin and boring

well then you´ve probably never been through Ignition music ;) but I do respect your opinion :)

Smash punker
06-23-2012, 08:05 AM
i said this previous but the old one sucks compared with the new, the new is mean dark and sinister, i love it, the old one is dated, thin and boring (in comparison) anyone who says the old is only saying due to nostalgic value, this new album is there best, none of there old ones come close

Man you really gotta be kiddin´ :D

I think there´s been something like that couple of years ago :) ?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-23-2012, 09:01 AM
You can't be serious. Are you?

Dirty Magic has spoken.

randman21
06-23-2012, 10:58 AM

Why can't you just accept it? I'm completely burned out on the original, but the new version still doesn't come close. Had I never heard of the song, I might love the DGB one, but I don't think making it heavier made it better.

disclaimer_07
06-23-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm not a big fan of the background yelling in the chorus of the new version to be honest. It would be just perfect without that.

Rooster
06-23-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm still torn about these two. The original is a classic and a great song indeed, and I really, really like what they did with the new version. But I can't rate one above another, it's basically just 2 versions of the same song. I'll wait a bit more before I cast my vote

My Name Was Taken
06-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I only chose the new one because the sound quality is so much better... other than that they aren't TOO different. I love them both.

Mechagodzilla2
06-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Nothing can beat the original version, but I'm still excited for the new one.

_Lost_
06-23-2012, 06:58 PM
My liking the old version has nothing to do with nostalgia. My biggest reason for not like the song Days Go By is because it is too clean and polished. I like gritty, dirty, messy recordings when they fit. Even when that doesn't fit, perfect and polished does not equal better. With the topic of the song, the time period it was written, etc, its best when gritty, dirty, and messy. They may have filled out the song and made it heavier (which, conceptually, I'm all for. I love heavy guitars. Just ask randman), they also made it clean and polished. That doesn't work for me.

Not to mention, as others have said, "go on and" and "oh all the" drive me nuts because they are purely unnecessary.

Smash punker
06-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Why can't you just accept it? I'm completely burned out on the original, but the new version still doesn't come close. Had I never heard of the song, I might love the DGB one, but I don't think making it heavier made it better.

That´s true, what you just said Randy :) to me the "new" DM sounds like totally different song now, so that´s why I love the original a that kinda feel n meaning for that song :)