PDA

View Full Version : Issue with our moderators

Manic subsidaI
06-19-2012, 04:27 PM
I was banned for posting the "album leak". Except, it was a joke with the download link leading to music of the band Creed. It was obvious since Creed was on the URL and even the moderators noted in my ban message that it was fake. Yet they still banned me.

and now they even made a thread with this sort of "hall of shame" list of people who posted illegal downloads of Days Go By including me. Please take me off before Dexter pulls out his OC guns on me. Thank you.

Llamas
06-19-2012, 04:43 PM
You can not expect the mods to click every single link posted as a "leak" to make sure it actually is one. They pre-emptively banned everyone who talked about leaks, and then went back and took care of things. You got banned for a few hours from a message board; this is seriously not a big deal.

Little_Miss_1565
06-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Not sure how in the middle of all that anyone was supposed to be able to tell that yours was a joke. But again, not sure what part of "nothing about leaks will be tolerated" was unclear that I posted well in advance.

Manic subsidaI
06-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Not sure how in the middle of all that anyone was supposed to be able to tell that yours was a joke. But again, not sure what part of "nothing about leaks will be tolerated" was unclear that I posted well in advance.

I read the forum guidelines and I didn't see anything regarding illegal downloads? Maybe next time when a new album is coming out, it would help prevent a lot of people from discussing the leak if you guys posted a warning somewhere visible in the reply box or create thread page?

Like I said in my previous post, a moderator banned me for posting a "fake" download link. They knew it was a joke. But I now understand the whole seriousness of anything album leak related..

Just want to be removed from the list in the other thread here, that's all :)

_Lost_
06-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Posting links to albums not even released yet is obviously gonna be against the rules. That is a "No Shit Sherlock" sort of thing. B-sides and live recordings are different because they are not widely available for purchase. Anyone who thinks stealing the album the Offspring plans to make money off of and posting for other people to do in on their own website is just dumb.

If you've got a problem with your ban, take it up privately with Sarah, Tijs, or the administrators. They DO listen to reason. Stop thinking its okay for everyone to have to deal with your whining.

Manic subsidaI
06-19-2012, 09:38 PM
yikes.. can you read more than a sentence before being harsh on somebody? That's also a "No Shit Sherlock" sort of thing..

Again, it was a joke to piss off people who wanted to steal the album. The moderator who banned me clearly knew I wasn't posting any offspring material as he/she put "fake album leak" in the "reason for ban" message.

I'm not sure how you think I'm whining? I've even made suggestions on how to help our community next time with an album release so not as many people will get banned because they didn't know about Little's post.

I don't have a problem with my ban, I would just like a simple removal of my name from the list of criminals -

http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46343

hurry before my mom sees it.

Little_Miss_1565
06-19-2012, 10:05 PM
You seem to be under the impression that the ban is permanent. It isn't. We'll talk about taking your name off the list, but you made a joke, it wasn't a great one, and you got swept up in the largest mass-banning in forum history.

The forum guidelines also state that the rules are not to be taken as a complete enumeration of everything you can and cannot do here -- and it should be obvious that you can't pirate a band's album on their own website.

It's also generally a good idea to appeal your banning over PM to one of the moderators and not in public like this.

Greekoldfan
06-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I think there was a big mistake.I was one of the 2-3 people out there who said that he is not gonna listen the album until i buy it.and I enforced the people to buy it!so I can't understand why i was banned.anyway..

Little_Miss_1565
06-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Tijs' topic in .com talk explains the process we went through this morning.

Manic subsidaI
06-19-2012, 10:46 PM
pfft.. anything creed related is a great joke ;)

But no really, again, I'm not asking any moderator to appeal my ban. The issue was just on the way this was handled, which I feel is thread worthy.

You're saying it's obvious that we shouldn't discuss and share album leaks on this website... but how come so many people did it? Not just "junior members" but people that have been on here for a while. I think next time (hopefully a next time) when offspring gets close to releasing a new album, some clear warnings on this board like even a sticky note would help prevent people from doing what happened today. Less work for the moderators too :P

Little_Miss_1565
06-19-2012, 10:54 PM
You're saying it's obvious that we shouldn't discuss and share album leaks on this website... but how come so many people did it? Not just "junior members" but people that have been on here for a while. I think next time (hopefully a next time) when offspring gets close to releasing a new album, some clear warnings on this board like even a sticky note would help prevent people from doing what happened today. Less work for the moderators too :P

Because some people are jerks. At one point today, 27 people were on a temp ban at once -- a new record. Yours was the first complaint. I don't want to get crazy and say everyone who engaged in the leaking had some self-awareness that there would be consequences on the forum for that, but I'm sure that was the case for a lot of them.

No amount of sticky notes would have prevented what we saw this morning, pretty sure. The warnings were pretty clear in advance, and this is the second album cycle where leaks have been dealt with in this manner.

Manic subsidaI
06-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Actually, my first suggestion with having the warning message on the reply/create thread page would be a lot more effective than the sticky note.. at least from what I've seen on other message boards regarding similar things. I'm not sure if vbulletin allows you to tweak around that page, but if you could.. people might think twice before hitting "post" if they saw a reminder right below the submit button saying "Any sharing/requesting album leaks will result in a ban"

make it bold red, font size 40, flashing seizure text animation, etc. Let's get all metallica here lmao.

Rooster
06-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Jesus guys, I was one of the temporarily banned users too, but I can understand the situation. I mean, that thread gained pages incredibly quickly, right, so there was a lot of stuff to go through, and some of us just got caught in the middle. Besides, it was a temp ban only, we didn't recieve any official warnings, no harm done.

Come on, don't cause unneccessary fuss about something that is actually pretty funny, if you think about it (all the mess, and the sheer quantity of banned members,...). Why not rather joke about it? I mean, you can tell your grandchildren in a few decades that "this was the album that got their rebellious old grandpa banned!"

At least this is how I'm looking at the things :D

Greekoldfan
06-20-2012, 01:05 AM
well imo and i'm not gonna say anything else about it,they didn't haddled it so correct.the best they should have done was to bann just the guys who open threads like that and close the threads. and open a thread to explain us and make all this clear without misunderstandings. peace and love for mods :)

Rooster
06-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Well, Tijs opened a thread in this section of the forum, "regarding the recent bans" or something like that. You guys are taking it well, but I don't think eveyone will.

Oh, and to make The Great Banning of '12 even funnier, soon after it occured the official stream of the album was posted :D

TheNooseIsFalling
06-20-2012, 03:48 AM
Come on, it's not that big a deal. I was banned too for a couple of hours for posting in that thread (although you're right that I had no idea that would happen), but it was just temporary, and like they explained, pre-emptive, so it's their job anyway. Your Creed prank is classic, though :D

Jesus
06-20-2012, 03:55 AM
Linking to Creed should be bannable offense at any time.

Tijs
06-20-2012, 03:55 AM
Manic Subsidal, your ban has been lifted.

well imo and i'm not gonna say anything else about it,they didn't haddled it so correct.the best they should have done was to bann just the guys who open threads like that and close the threads. and open a thread to explain us and make all this clear without misunderstandings. peace and love for mods :)
It is impossible to deal with it so fast, especially if it comes unexpectedly. You were unable to use the forums for 6 hours, 7 tops.

With so many users posting so many posts, it's impossible to review at any given moment each post and see who and who isn't doing something that's not allowed on here. When we got here those threads already exploded with people posting links, asking for links and offering them via PM's and whatnot.

We needed some time to deal with it to judge everyone individually in a fair way.

Once we reviewed all posts as individual posts, and looked at who didn't do anything wrong, we lifted the bans and apologized for what happened to you.

-Ignition-
06-20-2012, 04:22 AM
I was also banned for a couple of hours, and I don't see that it could have been done in any other way. But of course I was surprised to be banned cause I didn't think I had done anything wrong, which 6 hours later was confirmed that I hadn't when my banning was lifted:p

But I agree with Manic subsidaI that the information about not asking for and spreading the leak could have been clearer. Where are they to read, exactly? I can myself draw the conclusion that one shouldn't post links to leaks, but maybe it's not as obvious to everyone.

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 04:39 AM
It has been said over and over on many threads about the new album. But really, aside from that, it really, REALLY obvious that you cannot post and ask for leaks in their own website. If you can't figureout by yourself it's a bit of your issue too.

The ban thing then has been explained, I was sorry to read some good users were banned, but then the mods explained what really happened.
A sticky thread about not posting and ask for leaks is like throwing a cigarette over straw and pretending to have a sign that said it woul go on fire...

Llamas
06-20-2012, 05:08 AM
Manic, please stop... I like and respect you as a poster here, and you're killing that for me :-/ Whining about moderation here is pretty much the lamest thing a bbs member can do.

-Ignition-
06-20-2012, 05:15 AM
It has been said over and over on many threads about the new album.

But the moderaters can't assume everyone is reading every thread. That's all I'm saying. And yes, there might be some people not smart enough to realize by themselves that they shouldn't post leaks here, but no one can really expect them to understand that and then tell them it was said earlier in some random thread.

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 05:20 AM
But the moderaters can't assume everyone is reading every thread. That's all I'm saying. And yes, there might be some people not smart enough to realize by themselves that they shouldn't post leaks here, but no one can really expect them to understand that and then tell them it was said earlier in some random thread.

Yes, I get that it's pretty normal that someone doesn't read all posts and may have not read it. And I get that some people are not smart enough to realize those things, but in this case as I said it's their issue, not the moderator's.

-Ignition-
06-20-2012, 05:22 AM
Yes, I get that it's pretty normat that someone doesn't read all posts and may have not read it. And I get that some people are not smart enough to realize those things, but in this case as I said it's their issue, not the moderator's.

It's their issue if they get banned, totally agreed, but it's the moderators issue to deal with it.:o

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 05:28 AM
It's their issue if they get banned, totally agreed, but it's the moderators issue to deal with it.:o

Ok, so you mean, be more clear before so you don't get to have problems? I understand this :)

-Ignition-
06-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Ok, so you mean, be more clear before so you don't get to have problems? I understand this :)

Exactly:) an advice for the future!

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Exactly:) an advice for the future!

we'll see what happens in 4 years from now :D

-Ignition-
06-20-2012, 06:16 AM
Haha yep!:D

Tijs
06-20-2012, 07:14 AM
- Manic Subsidal makes a joke;
- Moderator falls for it;
- Joke is successful;
- Manic Subsidal gets upset.

Little_Miss_1565
06-20-2012, 07:26 AM
^ What Tijs said.

JAt least this is how I'm looking at the things :D

Your positive outlook is much appreciated, Raptor! :) Sorry for all the confusion -- it was nuts.

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 08:17 AM
- Manic Subsidal makes a joke;
- Moderator falls for it;
- Joke is successful;
- Manic Subsidal gets upset.

lol for 10 chcts

_Lost_
06-20-2012, 08:59 AM
My fb chat exploded yesterday afternoon over all these people that got banned. It was what kept me entertained all afternoon.

"I mean... wait... what?... You got banned for saying you WON'T download it?"

Ultimately we came to the conclusion that it was like a quarantine. You know, stop the disease from spreading any further and then the doctors go back and test everyone for infection.

Don't take it personally guys. No one thinks less of you for getting caught up in the mess. Even the people with extended bans will come back like it never happened. Unless, of course, they post more DOWN WIT MODz type threads. After 7 years, those threads have gotten a little old folks.

Manic subsidaI
06-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Manic, please stop... I like and respect you as a poster here, and you're killing that for me :-/ Whining about moderation here is pretty much the lamest thing a bbs member can do.

lmao.. are people reading my posts in some kind of angry tone? Maybe that's why previous members here flip out so much because they try to explain problems and solutions but then are just called "whining" for it.

Anyways, -Ignition- is pretty much the only one who got what I'm talking about here. Both of us would of stayed away from anything album leak related if we knew what would happen. So it might actually make a difference to put a warning message up (in the reply section) for the next cyber generation of offspring jr's

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Little_Miss_1565
06-20-2012, 09:27 AM
The forum rules are only partially to legislate common sense. We didn't think a specific enumeration in the rules was necessary, because it is so obvious. We'll consider it in the future, but don't count on it.

Rooster
06-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Your positive outlook is much appreciated, Raptor! :) Sorry for all the confusion -- it was nuts.

You know what they say: when life gives you lemons, sell them on ebay :)

Somebody has to make this into a story about The Great Banning of MMXII... Using this: http://bayeux.datensalat.net/

:D

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 11:44 AM
The Great Ban of '12 should be put into the band's bio :D

Llamas
06-20-2012, 12:11 PM
lmao.. are people reading my posts in some kind of angry tone? Maybe that's why previous members here flip out so much because they try to explain problems and solutions but then are just called "whining" for it.

If you weren't/aren't mad, then going public and making a thread titled "Issue with our moderators" was BY FAR not the right way to go. Logic would lead me to send a private message to the mods and ask them to remove me.

Rooster
06-20-2012, 01:20 PM
http://www.offspring.com/community/picture.php?albumid=835&pictureid=8183

Lord Phidias
06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
They DO listen to reason.

This gave me the lulz.

Hello.

Anyways, -Ignition- is pretty much the only one who got what I'm talking about here. Both of us would of stayed away from anything album leak related if we knew what would happen. So it might actually make a difference to put a warning message up (in the reply section) for the next cyber generation of offspring jr's

You are my new favorite member.

Little_Miss_1565
06-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Raptor, I salute you.

Manic subsidaI
06-21-2012, 10:55 PM
to ilove - sorry if the thread title was angry sounding. I thought "issue" was a good word choice, it just means a question in dispute and wanting it to be settled. I didn't send a PM because I also wanted to see if other members caught in this whole mess were unaware of the consequences too. Not the obvious one for sharing/requesting download links, but for even replying back to a thread discussing album leaks or whatever happened. Since I think a couple replied back here feeling the same way I did about the unexpected bans, I just thought I'd mention a way that might be helpful to have less of a "clean up" next time. So that's all, thanks to the mods for taking me off the list and considering my idea for warning messages next time.

By the way, what Little_Miss_1565 and Lord Phidias are doing right now is a perfect example of something more suitable for PM

Little_Miss_1565
06-21-2012, 10:57 PM
You're welcome. Now, serious question -- why are you still posting on this account when Tijs told you your other one was unbanned?

Manic subsidaI
06-21-2012, 11:07 PM
I was planning on leaving the forums, that's why in this whole thread I was never really concerned about being unbanned. Just didn't want to go out with my name kept in a posted list of members who were giving illegal album downloads. I know it's small and silly, but I just didn't want my user name on there :)

Lord Phidias
06-21-2012, 11:13 PM
By the way, what Little_Miss_1565 and Lord Phidias are doing right now is a perfect example of something more suitable for PM

I'm glad there was at least one witness of what the moderatrix deleted.

It must feel nice to be able to control discussions and opinions like that.

Little_Miss_1565
06-21-2012, 11:15 PM
You pointed out that I should take my own advice. So I did - I deleted my posts, too.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-23-2012, 03:48 PM
lmao.. are people reading my posts in some kind of angry tone?

There is no aspect of you that I dislike, from what I've seen in these forums. You gotta keep posting with your main account though. We need to hear that acoustic album.

Manic subsidaI
06-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Oh yeah for sure! Thanks for the reminder, I'm still totally going to record that! In fact, I'll post a poll soon to see what songs people would want to be on the album.

The project has to be delayed though. It's just that I'm moving to some ghetto neighborhood in long beach where I don't want to bring all of my expensive mics, instruments, etc. This old spanish family I'm moving in with doesn't want loud acoustic music either. I know it kind of sucks but the rent is so cheap and I'll actually have a bed to sleep on now haha. I'll come back here once I find the right spot to record though. Thanks for showing some interest :)

Mechagodzilla2
06-23-2012, 06:49 PM
The Moderators are only doing their job. Also, any link to any album leak, whether it be real or a joke, should be removed immediately.

weezly
06-24-2012, 01:17 AM
hahahahhaha a link to creed!!! banned? should have given him a medal, thats hilarious!

Godxilla
06-24-2012, 11:41 AM
hahahahhaha a link to creed!!! banned? should have given him a medal, thats hilarious!

Any link to anything slightly Creed-related should result in a permanent ban and a fine of $100!

:)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Oh yeah for sure! Thanks for the reminder, I'm still totally going to record that! In fact, I'll post a poll soon to see what songs people would want to be on the album.

The project has to be delayed though. It's just that I'm moving to some ghetto neighborhood in long beach where I don't want to bring all of my expensive mics, instruments, etc. This old spanish family I'm moving in with doesn't want loud acoustic music either. I know it kind of sucks but the rent is so cheap and I'll actually have a bed to sleep on now haha. I'll come back here once I find the right spot to record though. Thanks for showing some interest :)
I understand. I can't wait, but I guess I'll have to.

I know this is irrelevant, but I had Don't Go and You're A Slut (So What) open in my safari browser on my iPod for a month or something. I love your stuff.

Oxygene
07-01-2012, 03:00 PM
I didnt get band so I cant whine... That pisses me off.. And I pirated the record and everything, I just didnt tell anyone.. Goddamit. :(