PDA

View Full Version : The Next Single

offspringiztheshit
06-19-2012, 06:34 PM
What Do you all think the next single will be? Im hoping for Slim Pickes or hurting as one.

cool 2 hate 681
06-19-2012, 06:35 PM
slim pickins or the future is now would be good i think

brothadave79
06-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Dirty Magic. Let's not have it go to waste this time.

offspringiztheshit
06-19-2012, 06:42 PM
yea I'm good with any of the songs except CC, secret family, and all i have left is you.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-19-2012, 06:44 PM
yea I'm good with any of the songs except CC, secret family, and all i have left is you.
CC already is a single.

offspringiztheshit
06-19-2012, 06:46 PM
yea but not america. in like australia and some others. in order for US radio stations to play it they would have to release it as a single in the US which would be terrible.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
yea but not america. in like australia and some others. in order for US radio stations to play it they would have to release it as a single in the US which would be terrible.
Okay, I see what you're saying. I have a bad feeling it will be on the radio here eventually.

hshduppsnt
06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
probably the future is now

DMelges
06-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Hopefully Secrets From The Underground or Slim Pickens

F@ BANKZ
06-19-2012, 07:02 PM
secret family might be pretty cool.

GamerKT
06-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Dirty Magic has to be a single. They wanted it to get more recognition, so making it a single would be the best way to do that.

F@ BANKZ
06-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Dirty Magic has to be a single. They wanted it to get more recognition, so making it a single would be the best way to do that.

i was surprised enough they'd released it on an album it'd be crazy if it was singlized; meh. the way they did the song reminds me of Alone and Forsaken by Social D (originally hank williams) which was a rough b-side which got played a lot then rerecorded in 2010 or 2011. sxdx didn't have the cheek to make it a single however that was a cover song so you know... Moreover I'm not sure how Dex would feel about working so long and hard on this album just to have it showcased by a song he made 20 years ago. Plenty to think about though!

Stravis
06-19-2012, 07:12 PM
The Future is Now or Slim Pickins

NoGuessing
06-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Secrets from the Underground would work really well. It's very memorable, even if you're a casual listener I reckon.

It's catchy, has great guitar work and has good hooks. Single single single.

cool 2 hate 681
06-19-2012, 07:19 PM
im ok with dirty magic being a single just as long as there is no music video

TheJakes84
06-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Dirty Magic as the next single & OC Guns as the next music video :). Allong with loads of Gringas Banditas! :D If ya'll get my drift? Hahahaha

DeeThree
06-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Dirty Magic as the next single & OC Guns as the next music video :). Allong with loads of Gringas Banditas! :D If ya'll get my drift? Hahahaha

now thats something im completely looking forward to it!

effreyj
06-19-2012, 07:30 PM
If I had to bet on what it would be I'd say Future is Now. Secrets From the Underground or Dirty Magic would be good choices. If they choose OC Guns, I'm going to throw up...

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-19-2012, 07:38 PM
I love Turning Into You. I am very doubtful that it'd become a single though.

cool 2 hate 681
06-19-2012, 07:38 PM
i think slim pickins would be a big hit on the radio

BagOfShenanigans
06-19-2012, 07:39 PM
The Future is Now would make an excellent single, and some people are already familiar with it.

Dirty Magic, however... That would make a baller single, and it might even shut up the half-wit elitists on youtube.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-19-2012, 07:41 PM
The Future is Now would make an excellent single.
It's probably the most likely to become a single, and that's fine by me.

BagOfShenanigans
06-19-2012, 08:13 PM
It's actually a pretty tough choice. The next single will probably get a video.

While the Future is Now would probably have an awesome video, I'd give my left nut to see Dirty Magic get one.

aintnoballnchain
06-19-2012, 08:15 PM

yea i agree with this...if they dont make it a single well then that would just be stupid

Outerspaceman21
06-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Personally, either Dirty Magic (why not?) or Turning Into You

jacknife737
06-19-2012, 09:48 PM
I'd say Secret Family would be pretty rad, but they've already sort of got the "pop single" covered with CC.

Secrets from the Underground or Slim Pickens would be interesting choices.

SMASHedTHEignition
06-19-2012, 10:08 PM
The Future Is Now!!!

Thomas
06-19-2012, 10:25 PM
I'd say Dirty Magic only because I want a video. Dividing by Zero/Slim Pickens would be a close second, though.

the hitcher
06-19-2012, 10:36 PM
the future is now would be cool.

Unnatural Disaster
06-19-2012, 10:45 PM
They want people to hear Dirty Magic, why not release it?

killboybowerhead
06-19-2012, 10:48 PM
slim or the future is now

Sara MZK
06-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Turning Into You. I know it won't be that one, but for me, that should have been the first single!

TheNooseIsFalling
06-20-2012, 04:50 AM
After hearing the rest of the album, I have to say they couldn't have made worse decisions, releasing DGB and CC. There's so much powerful, cathy rock stuff there with a lot of potential.

NoGuessing
06-20-2012, 05:30 AM
Hmm...not sure if I'd release TFIN, Turning Into You or Dirty Magic next.

I don't hear it, but parts of the internet are hearing Saviour in TFIN. I think it sounds like a well disguised rehash of TKAA, but after the Days Go By/Times Like These thang the band need a single which some casual listener cannot pin to some random band influenced by The Offspring. It needs to be as uncontroversial in bad ways) as possible. For this very reason Turning Into You should be left alone as well.

As for Dirty Magic, well after hearing a prominent radio DJ over hear claim the band is running out of ideas after DGB/CC then I imagine some people globally are thinking the same, and releasing a 20 year old song won't help this.

I'd also leave out Secret Family because I'm sick of the constant pop singles being chosen.

IMO the next single has gotta be Secrets From The Underground or /0. They are classic Offspring.

But since whoever picks the singles since Americana leans heavily towards the pop side of the band, I wouldn't be surprised to see Secret Family picked.

Llamas
06-20-2012, 05:49 AM
I just hope that the next single isn't Secret Family, All I Have Left, or OC Guns. I don't hate any of these songs, but the next single has to be an OFFSPRING hard-hitter, to contrast the silliness of CC and the blandness of DGB. I would be happy with any of the punkier songs... Future is Now... Dividing... Slim Pickins... Turning into You... Hurting as One... Secrets... Dirty Magic... any of them would be awesome.

Eskimo
06-20-2012, 05:52 AM
I suppose if the band doesn't care too much about having another giant monster record, that'd be the way to go. I'd love to see it.

But none of these songs is going to be giant general-public enormous. Not that that matters, but if they're going to have a "known" song from this it'll be one of the two they've already released.

Llamas
06-20-2012, 06:50 AM
I suppose if the band doesn't care too much about having another giant monster record, that'd be the way to go. I'd love to see it.

But none of these songs is going to be giant general-public enormous. Not that that matters, but if they're going to have a "known" song from this it'll be one of the two they've already released.

Yeah, CC is more likely to succeed than Secret Family would be... OC Guns is too weird to become a hit, and All I Have probably wouldn't do any better than Kristy did.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-20-2012, 09:12 AM
I think All I Have Left Is You is their best chance to stay relevant. It's the best ballad-type song they've ever recorded and I think it has a lot of mass appeal. Dexter's voice finally sounds good enough to be singing that type of song. I think it's maybe the best chance they'll ever have to show the world that they can be multidimensional. Also, the lyrics are something that a lot of people can relate to and they're easily understandable, which seems to be more and more important for mainstream success.

The Future is Now has the best chance of being a modern rock type of hit. The type that gets almost to the top of rock radio charts and then fades into relative obscurity after a few months. Which at this stage in their careers wouldn't be bad for them. Anything that could replicate YGGFK's success as a single is pretty much a triumph for them at this point.

Sara MZK
06-20-2012, 09:17 AM
"Best chance to stay relevant"? Geez, that's the last thing any band should be concerning themselves with. The moment you start worrying about trying to "stay relevant", and start trying to tailor your music to fit that, then you're in trouble. True music fans don't care about such things anyway. If it's good it's good! lol

And All I Have Left Is You is definitely not as good as A Lot Like Me. That's by far the best song they have in that alt ballad style.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-20-2012, 09:19 AM
"Best chance to stay relevant"? Geez, that's the last thing any band should be concerning themselves with. The moment you start worrying about trying to "stay relevant", and start trying to tailor your music to fit that, then you're in trouble. True music fans don't care about such things anyway. If it's good it's good! lol
The album's already finished.

This entire thread is about what song should be the next single. Singles are meant to get airplay and do well. If "Dividing By Zero" is your favorite song, then that's great, but you still have to admit that it would be a pretty crappy single. If you're against the idea of singles altogether then you're more than welcome to not post in this thread.

Sara MZK
06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
This entire thread is about what song should be the next single. Singles are meant to get airplay and do well. If "Dividing By Zero" is your favorite song, then that's great, but you still have to admit that it would be a pretty crappy single. If you're against the idea of singles altogether then you're more than welcome to not post in this thread.

Of course, but it's about what song do you want to be the next single, not necessarily, which song do you think will be the most commercially viable single. lol I'm not against the idea of singles, but I am against the idea of trying to "remain relevant", as I think that should be a non-issue for real music fans.

"Dividing By Zero" would never be released as a single, as it's too harsh for that. And yes, even I can see that. I suggested "Turning Into You" as it does have a commercial slant, without being overtly so, and is more representative of the album as a whole than "All I Have Left Is You". After two singles that weren't representative of the album, I think the next one should be.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-20-2012, 09:37 AM
TFIN, SFTU and Slim Pickens would be great choices at this point. And as a 4th single Dirty Magic would be a good idea.

Sara MZK
06-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Slim Pickens wouldn't be chosen as a single because of it's profanity... it would have to be edited for radio and tv. lol

I think the next single should be more representative of the album, as anyone who isn't familiar with The Offspring will hear songs like CC, or "All I Have Left Is You" (if it was released as a single) and then be taken totally by surprise by the blazing Orange County punk anthems that's on offer for most of the rest of the album! :p

Degstur Lolland
06-20-2012, 09:47 AM
3rd OC Guns
4th Dirty Magic
5th The Future Is Now

Why not pick the best? I can imagine videos without them like they did on RFRG, I think they should continue! Especially OCG, maybe something drawn. DM could go all kinds of ways, Gone Away comes to mind. TFIN could be something like Linkin Park's In the end or something cool.

But, there are other options. SFTU is kinda classic offspring, but still fresh. TIY has Rise Against thing going on, that could go well, but there is no chorus to remember or something. HAO, I don't think it will get a chance, but I enjoy it. AIHLIY, well, there is the whole village Country music crowd for it, but it's too long, maybe it could be shortened. IWSF WY is not as single material as I expected, happy pop punk with something bizarre going on, but I guess it could go, it's not too long. I can't imagine videos for the last two, maybe Slim Pickens with self-financed video like SIMU, underground attack.

So, I'd go for:
3rd I Wanna Secret Family (With You)
4th Turning Into You > Secrets from the Underground > Slim Pickens

If we reduce it:
3rd Dirty Magic
4th I Wanna Secret Family (With You)
5th OC Guns
(TFIN or TIY)

Maybe, TFIN is too good for a single like A Lot Like Me was. Then, the question is if DM can work today. Maybe we will end up with:
3rd Turning Into You
4th I Wanna Secret Family (With You)
5th OC Guns
(TFIN/DM/SP)

Sara MZK
06-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Maybe, TFIN is too good for a single like A Lot Like Me was.

Generally speaking, the singles are not amongst the best songs on albums. Of course there are exceptions, like All I Want, and Hammerhead, but generally, the singles are amongst an albums' weakest songs.

DMelges
06-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Guys, let's make a poll. Seriously, maybe the band will check the bbs and decide the new single based on our poll. How about it ?

TheNooseIsFalling
06-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Most succesful bands in the last couple of years have chosen the best tracks from the albums as singles (like Rise Against with Savior or Prayer of the Refugee) and it tends to turn out great for them, and now I think that's what the guys should do. And isn't Slim Pickens about as profane as oh I don't know, YGGFK?

Degstur Lolland
06-21-2012, 03:15 PM
They played SFTU, TIY and DM with Stryker so maybe some of those will make it. AIHLIY was as a background music.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Hmm...not sure if I'd release TFIN, Turning Into You or Dirty Magic next.

I don't hear it, but parts of the internet are hearing Saviour in TFIN. I think it sounds like a well disguised rehash of TKAA, but after the Days Go By/Times Like These thang the band need a single which some casual listener cannot pin to some random band influenced by The Offspring. It needs to be as uncontroversial in bad ways) as possible. For this very reason Turning Into You should be left alone as well.

As for Dirty Magic, well after hearing a prominent radio DJ over hear claim the band is running out of ideas after DGB/CC then I imagine some people globally are thinking the same, and releasing a 20 year old song won't help this.

I'd also leave out Secret Family because I'm sick of the constant pop singles being chosen.

IMO the next single has gotta be Secrets From The Underground or /0. They are classic Offspring.

But since whoever picks the singles since Americana leans heavily towards the pop side of the band, I wouldn't be surprised to see Secret Family picked.
That was very well reasoned. I'd love to see /0 as a single, but it wouldn't be a hit. SFTU is probably the best choice. Unfortunately people are comparing it to Rise Against as well.

cool 2 hate 681
06-22-2012, 08:35 PM
SFTU is probably the best choice. Unfortunately people are comparing it to Rise Against as well.

those people are stupid

Pedrosky
06-22-2012, 08:42 PM
I think Next single should be The future is now, secrets from the underground or turing into you,! But I have a doubt ..! First singles were Days go By / Cruising California ,.. so this one should be the 2nd single. right ? not 3rd as was posted on other thread ..

_Way_Down_the_Line_
06-22-2012, 08:57 PM
well i hope they realese Slim Pickens, like a 3d movie without the band kind of like hammerhead but less seriuos and badass xD

for the 4th and 5th i really dont care, but O.C guns would be fun and secret family too xD

commonrider5447
06-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Slim Pickens should get a serious look, it's really catchy and has the "dance f*cker dance!" line. It's not like All I Want was more radio friendly than this song. It would do well with the rock/alt scene in California at least.

cool 2 hate 681
06-23-2012, 05:07 PM
well i hope they realese Slim Pickens, like a 3d movie without the band kind of like hammerhead but less seriuos and badass xD

for the 4th and 5th i really dont care, but O.C guns would be fun and secret family too xD

if they do a music video for slim pickins i think it would be cool if it's filmed in black and white

jsmak84
06-23-2012, 05:26 PM
I DGBy/CC

II The Future is Now

III Dirty Magic

IV OC Guns

V %by0/S.P. (With 1 Video)

This is very Nice-Sweeth-Cool......... ecc ecc

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 11:16 AM
V %by0/S.P. (With 1 Video)

That would be a unique idea. Can anyone think of a music video for two songs?

TripleDK
06-24-2012, 03:26 PM
That would be a unique idea. Can anyone think of a music video for two songs?

Green Day did one with Brain Stew/Jaded

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Green Day did one with Brain Stew/Jaded
Well I guess it has been done before.

Rooster
06-24-2012, 03:59 PM
As I've already said in another thread, the sticker on the CD case hints at Secrets From The Underground being the new single, probably this is the best hint we have so far. A great choice, hopefully they'll go through with it!

Godxilla
06-24-2012, 07:18 PM
I nominate Slim Pickins Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell because it would be wicked funny to hear a radio DJ say that on live radio.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-25-2012, 03:24 PM
I haven't been following this thread for a while so I don't know if I'm the first one to think bring this up but would it be a really stupid idea to release CC in the US as the second single? That way it would get the chance to serve its purpose as a pop song perfectly. And then as the third single, Slim Pickens, because it's a YGGFK type of song and it would blow away the rock fans too. Dexter and Noodles have been talking about that song like it's very early Offspring but it's not, it's a lot more like YGGFK with those (perfect) vocal melodies.

the hitcher
06-25-2012, 03:27 PM
(dont slate me if it is'ent) but im preety sure it'll be secrets from the underground.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-25-2012, 03:38 PM
That would be an excellent choice too, but are they really not gonna release CC in the US at all? Also, I'm not conviced that SFTU (why is it so close to STFU?) is gonna be the next one. I'm not sure how this works, but Avenged Sevenfold's 2007 album for example says "featuring Almost Easy, Dear God, Afterlife & A Little Piece of Heaven". The first single off that album was Critical Acclaim and they didn't even mention that one, Dear God and Afterlife were a year away from being released as a single, and A little piece of heaven was never even released.

the hitcher
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
That would be an excellent choice too, but are they really not gonna release CC in the US at all? Also, I'm not conviced that SFTU (why is it so close to STFU?) is gonna be the next one. I'm not sure how this works, but Avenged Sevenfold's 2007 album for example says "featuring Almost Easy, Dear God, Afterlife & A Little Piece of Heaven". The first single off that album was Critical Acclaim and they didn't even mention that one, Dear God and Afterlife were a year away from being released as a single, and A little piece of heaven was never even released.

yeah i get what you meen, us in england were ment to get cc instead of dgb
:confused:
and i suppose its just speculation about geting secrets from the underground
as a single. nice idea though:)

JP Scralatchtica
06-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell!!!

Britpunk
06-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell!!!

The inlay art for Slim Pickens is pretty great.

the hitcher
06-25-2012, 04:15 PM
The inlay art for Slim Pickens is pretty great.

pretty cool right, did you get your cd on saturday too:)

Britpunk
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Nah. I had a 10 HMV voucher so went to the actual record shop to buy it. Very old fashioned :)

the hitcher
06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Nah. I had a 10 HMV voucher so went to the actual record shop to buy it. Very old fashioned :)

nice one mate. atleast someones still doin that.

DeeThree
07-11-2012, 10:39 AM
well i just got my album, and it had a little red sticker that said: "after 4 years of abssence the offspring are back with this new album including the songs "days go by", "cruising california" and "secrets from the underground"... does that mean that SFTU is the 3rd single??

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
I just got mine in the mail yesterday and it says as follows:

The new album featuring
"Days Go By"
"Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk)"
and "Secrets From The Underground
88697647632S1

I think everyone's sticker said something like that.

Defender
07-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I just got mine in the mail yesterday and it says as follows:

The new album featuring
"Days Go By"
88697647632S1

I think everyone's sticker said something like that.

Yep... same here. "Secrets from the underground" is a good choice for a single. I also believe that any of the "The future is now"(fourth single maybe), "Turning into you", "Dividing by zero" and "Hurting as one" will have the same big success(I did not include "Slim Pickens" because of the looooong title).

cool 2 hate 681
07-11-2012, 01:31 PM
kroq played dividing by zero the day the album came out it sounded really good on the radio

momo91
07-12-2012, 12:22 AM
I think the next single should be Slim Pickens. While driving several friends of mine listened to the album and that song immediately surprised evey one; people find it awesome and energic, not just an other punk song form The Offspring like, for example, Secrets from the underground.

Greekoldfan
07-12-2012, 12:58 AM
I think dividing by zero,slim pickens,hurting as one are good ones for the fans but not for the great mass. Dirty magic, secrets and future is now could be better choices for fans and greater audience

Rooster
07-12-2012, 04:03 AM
Secrets From The Underground as the second single (thechnically Days Go By and Cruising California were both first singles, depending on where you live), then Dirty Magic as the third and either The Future Is Now or Turning Into You as the fourth single. These are my picks.

RageAndLov
07-12-2012, 03:54 PM
My CD sticker says Secrets from the Underground is going to be the next single.

Llamas
07-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Hey guys, does anyone's CD sticker say that the album features Secrets from the Underground? Cause only like 15 of you have posted that, and I'm just not sure it's a real thing.

Danno
07-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Like Raptor88, DeeThree, etc. have stated the sticker on the album says "Secret From the Underground" and when buying past Offspring albums that sticker has never lied about what the singles are or will be so I'd bank on that.

As far as picking singles I think most bands on major labels have very little say on what becomes a single or not. And I am pretty sure it is determined well before the album is released as to what will be used as singles.

Sara MZK: You mentioned that Slim Pickens couldn't become a single because of the profanity but if you think back to RAFRAG, You're Gonna Go Far Kid was their 2nd single and that had about the same amount of profanity as Slim Pickens and that single had no problem getting itself played on the radio.

-Danno

Eskimo
07-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Anyone who's thinking it's going to be (or should be) Pickens is being genitally-pleasured by hamsters.

Wut r u, 'tarded or sumthin?

TheOldMark
07-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Slim Pickings or Dirty Magic.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-13-2012, 10:11 AM
The new album featuring
"Days Go By"
88697647632S1

Hey guys, does anyone's CD sticker say that the album features Secrets from the Underground? Cause only like 15 of you have posted that, and I'm just not sure it's a real thing.
I earlier posted exactly what my sticker said. It does use the word "featuring" so I imagine that means that the album features Secrets From The Underground.

Llamas
07-13-2012, 11:55 AM
I earlier posted exactly what my sticker said. It does use the word "featuring" so I imagine that means that the album features Secrets From The Underground.

I suggest turning on your sarcasm detector, bro. I was making fun of the fact that like 15 people have all posted exactly the same thing.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-13-2012, 01:59 PM
I suggest turning on your sarcasm detector, bro. I was making fun of the fact that like 15 people have all posted exactly the same thing.

I apologize. I really should have picked up on that. Now I see the humor. :)

Rooster
07-13-2012, 03:07 PM
I posted info about the sticker before posting info about the sticker was popular :cool:

Llamas
07-13-2012, 03:40 PM
I posted info about the sticker before posting info about the sticker was popular :cool:

Your sticker info is so hipster :cool:

Rooster
07-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Your sticker info is so hipster :cool:

Oh please, the sticker is soooo three weeks ago, now it's the parental advisory sticker that is hip. Which is ironic :cool:

Llamas
07-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Oh please, the sticker is soooo three weeks ago, now it's the parental advisory sticker that is hip. Which is ironic :cool:

You gonna order an American copy from overseas to get it? You'd be so trendy in Slovenia... the only Slovenian with a copy of the Offspring's Days Go By with a parental advisory sticker. Damn, what are you waiting for??

Rooster
07-14-2012, 02:52 PM
You gonna order an American copy from overseas to get it? You'd be so trendy in Slovenia... the only Slovenian with a copy of the Offspring's Days Go By with a parental advisory sticker. Damn, what are you waiting for??

Actually mine HAS the ironic parental advisory sticker, an actual sticker on the CD case rather than being printed on the cover. And even better, I bought it on the 22nd June, which means that because it was before the US release date I bought Days Go By before buying Days Go By was cool :cool:

Tiny Vessels
07-24-2012, 09:23 AM
I would be happy with either of these of for the next single. 1) Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell 2) All I Have Left Is you 3)The Future Is Now.

cool 2 hate 681
07-24-2012, 12:24 PM
i have a feeling the next single for this album will be the last :(