PDA

View Full Version : All days go by reviews

Dexter_italy
06-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Guys, we could sum all the reviews here so the bbs doesn't become a mess.
here's an italian one, it basically says good things about it, that the album is pretty rock solid and makes the journalst wanna see them live.

http://www.myword.it/rock/reviews/5695

Dexter_italy
06-21-2012, 02:47 PM
these fuckers gave a bad review... I really can't understand...

http://squidproquo1.blogspot.it/2012/06/days-go-by-by-offspring.html

TheJakes84
06-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Whatevers. Haters are always gonna be hating no matter what. That person obviously needs to get fucking laid. Shit.

disclaimer_07
06-21-2012, 05:03 PM

Lol, when you click on his name, it links you to his facebook. :rolleyes:

GamerKT
06-21-2012, 05:23 PM

Is he 15?

This review is very unprofessional.

TheJakes84
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
it's COOL TO HATE yo

NoGuessing
06-21-2012, 07:41 PM
I thought TFIN was meant to rip of Saviour, not Prayer of the Refugee...

I mean, those songs are quite different so it can't be doing both Mr Review Man...

Dexter_italy
06-22-2012, 12:26 AM
He's like, let's see what the songs sound like withou hearing the songs for what they are.

Count Orlok
06-22-2012, 04:29 AM

Here is possibly the worst review of 2012.
It's hilarious how Jerry Kola blatantly doesn't give a fuck about objectivity and reasoning ("All I Have Left Is You" is a horrible rock ballad. "Secret Family With You" is also terrible. ). He sounds like a pale imitation of a pissed-off 15 year-old "true punk" who thinks the quality of a review equals the number of swear words used in the text.
It's like Jerry Kola keeps trying to outdo himself in writing the worst review ever. Imagine how much better life would be if Jerry Kola would have stopped making reviews after he learned how to use a keyboard.

...what a dork. But it's nice to see how vehemently the album gets defended in the 8 comments :cool:

NoGuessing
06-22-2012, 04:45 AM
145 likes says it all. He's no one, and he probably knows it. Worry about negative reviews when they come from someone people care about yeah?

The Search Button
06-22-2012, 04:46 AM
This thread is in dire need of a positive review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUcobnv5gO0

Dexter_italy
06-22-2012, 04:54 AM
Yes thanks! :D

personal_loans_1
06-22-2012, 04:57 AM
This one lacks admiration of few things, but it's generally fair

http://www.culturetease.com/2012/06/the-offspring-days-go-by-review/

Defender
06-22-2012, 05:10 AM

This article is full of empathy. Nobody will take seriously this review. Their intention is to cause fans' reactions and it seems that they made it.

findout5
06-22-2012, 05:27 AM
I think only professional and credible reviews should be included here. Otherwise, it's just one dude's opinion.
And a review kind of is that, but usually is done by some dude who isn't a fan, nor a hater. Thus the professional term comes into play.

Dexter_italy
06-22-2012, 05:44 AM
I think only professional and credible reviews should be included here. Otherwise, it's just one dude's opinion.
And a review kind of is that, but usually is done by some dude who isn't a fan, nor a hater. Thus the professional term comes into play.

Well the last video seems from a fair rewiewing channel. Then people read all kind of reviews so it's right to have them all. Of course biggest the site, newspaper, channel more importance is given, but even the little ones are read.

NoGuessing
06-22-2012, 05:46 AM
I don't put much weight in reviews full stop. All it tells me is the opinion of someone else, which when well written and explained is interesting in itself, but it won't influence my opinion.

Music isn't a science, therefore by it's very nature it cannot be examined objectively. There is no control subject, and no way to keep the numerous biases out of the picture. It's subjective tastes, and that's why it's called art.

Seriously, objectivity in art is the biggest intellectual scam in the world.

I still read them though. I can't help myself.:p

Llamas
06-22-2012, 07:00 AM
I can usually tell if the reviewer has similar taste and ideas to me when I read a review. If they focus on lyrics, then I take it with a grain of salt (I rarely care about lyrics). If they are in an uproar because a band changed their style, useless. But if, say, they're talking about song structure, flow, balance, and musicianship, I take heed to their opinions.

Degstur Lolland
06-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Music isn't a science, therefore by it's very nature it cannot be examined objectively. There is no control subject, and no way to keep the numerous biases out of the picture. It's subjective tastes, and that's why it's called art.

Seriously, objectivity in art is the biggest intellectual scam in the world.
I don't agree with you, but it's difficult to make it objective especially for non-educated beginners. Also, The Offspring wouldn't be so successful without being very well educated. You gotta know what you do, it gets into science.

I'm always very curious about allmusic.com review. Maybe, Rolling Stone. Robert Christgau.

cool 2 hate 681
06-22-2012, 11:02 PM
good review by oc weekly :)

http://www.ocweekly.com/2012-06-21/music/the-offspring-dexter-holland-days-gone-by/

Sara MZK
06-22-2012, 11:47 PM
good review by oc weekly :)

http://www.ocweekly.com/2012-06-21/music/the-offspring-dexter-holland-days-gone-by/

Nice one! :)

Oh, and I'm seriously beginning to wonder about the mentality of Rise Against fans... so The Future Is Now sounds like two different RA songs now? Geez, there's no words... lol

disclaimer_07
06-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Nice one! :)

Oh, and I'm seriously beginning to wonder about the mentality of Rise Against fans... so The Future Is Now sounds like two different RA songs now? Geez, there's no words... lol
Haha, I wish they would at least made up their minds.
What I find funny about all this is that in fact when I first heard Savior like 3 years ago, I immediately thought it sounded like The Offspring and that's why the song clicked with me instantly.

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Haha, I wish they would at least made up their minds.
What I find funny about all this is that in fact when I first heard Savior like 3 years ago, I immediately thought it sounded like The Offspring and that's why the song clicked with me instantly.

I know, it's crazy! lol

I just went to trusty old Youtube and listened to Savior, and when the main riff kicked in, I immediately thought, hey that sounds like The Offspring! lol As for the Prayer Of The Refugee comparison, I think the guy saying that must have been high on something! :p

dff_punk
06-23-2012, 01:42 AM
About all this Rise Against talk.

I was at the Nova Rock Festival recently, where on friday The Offspring shared a stage with Rise Against. RA played after The Offspring, and they said during the gig something like: "Let's give it up for THE Fucking Offspring!" with a big emphasis on the THE. From the tone in which Tim said that was clear that Rise Against always looked up to The Offspring. And as Pete Parada posted once on facebook, they are also good friends with them. It is The Offspring who came first with the woah-oh catchy punkrock sound and all the newbies to punkrock who know nothing(but seem to know everything)claim that it's Rise Against style. So some song structures are similar to others. Welcome to the world of punk, where it's not about invention but the fun, energy and catchiness.

Rooster
06-23-2012, 02:00 AM
I agree with dff_punk here. When I mention the similarity I mention it simply because some are furiously denying there even is any (I admit, I used to do that, too :o). But similarity doesn't equal being a ripoff, there's a huge difference between that.

Anyway, I checked out what Rise Against fans seem to think about it. Don't let the title of the thread mislead you, they are super nice, and most of them like both The Future Is Now and Turning Into You: http://www.generation-lost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2109&p=45317

Some of them don't think that songs are all that similar, but those that do still think it's cool. Some people here could really learn something from them :)

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 02:23 AM
I simply call it as I see it, and frankly, the similarities between TFIN and "Savior", and especially TIY and "Ready To Fall" are so miniscule that they're barely worth highlighting, let alone justifying the reaction of some Rise Against fans towards them.

As dff_punk stated, RA are more similar to The Offspring than the other way around. And it's not just punk, almost all genres of music have songs that sound similar to one another. But there's a huge difference between sounding similar, and sounding the same.

Eskimo
06-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Still with this stupid shit?

You might as well be saying Social D ripped off The Offspring when they did White Light, White Heat, White Trash.

As in, it's fucking dumb.

Rooster
06-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Nobody (at least not on this page) said The Offspring ripped off Rise Against. Just pointing it out.

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Yep, saying something sounds similar, and saying it's a rip-off isn't the same thing at all. I never suggested RA "ripped off" The Offspring.

Eskimo
06-23-2012, 02:42 AM
Shut up. :p

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 02:49 AM
Never! lol :p

Eskimo
06-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Hmph. *Shakes fist to the sky*

Saraaaaaaa. Curse ye.

Lupin
06-23-2012, 03:58 AM
I simply call it as I see it, and frankly, the similarities between TFIN and "Savior", and especially TIY and "Ready To Fall" are so miniscule that they're barely worth highlighting, let alone justifying the reaction of some Rise Against fans towards them.

Quoted for truth, justice and The Offspring way!

NoGuessing
06-23-2012, 04:16 AM
TFIN and Saviour sound totally like this great song my mate wrote back in the stone ages.

YOU RIPPER OFFERERS!!!

Eskimo
06-23-2012, 04:43 AM
I hate you all.

Velly velly bad man.

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Hmph. *Shakes fist to the sky*

Saraaaaaaa. Curse ye.

Haha, sorry about that :p

RonWelty
06-23-2012, 05:25 AM
http://www.gigwise.com/reviews/73962/the-offspring-days-go-by-columbia GIGWISE

" as evidenced by the unnecessary rerecording of ‘Dirty Magic’ " LOL? fuck them

Britpunk
06-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Not a review, but The DGB single has hit the Kerrang rock charts this week:
http://www.kerrang.com/blog/2012/06/the_official_kerrang_rock_char_7.html

I have no idea who half those other bands are. What's a 'Nickelback'?

Llamas
06-23-2012, 06:09 AM
Dear whiners,

STFU with all this rip-off talk. Either listen to the album, or don't. Like it, or don't. If you think it's a rip-off, decide if that bothers you enough to not listen to it. Honestly, a song being a rip-off has never in itself stopped me from liking a song. So why would I want to talk endlessly about whether or not a song IS a rip-off?? Stupid. Just enjoy the music or turn it off.

NoGuessing
06-23-2012, 06:12 AM
I'm in a good mood, so I'm going to regret clicking that link aren't I?

momo91
06-23-2012, 08:17 AM
http://www.n-tv.de/leute/musikundfilm/The-Offspring-laden-zur-Sommerparty-article6503086.html

Very positive one. Thanks Google translate ;)

p.s An other good performance of Days go by (single) http://loudwire.com/top-20-songs-week-of-june-17-23-2012/

XYlophonetreeZ
06-23-2012, 10:34 AM
http://lukemoney.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/three-men-and-an-album-a-joint-review-of-the-offsprings-days-go-by/
These guys are self-proclaimed fans but they didn't like it. I thought they had some interesting points, though, particularly about "Turning Into You." "High-schoolish" is the perfect way to describe that song.

At the end they tack on this short review from another dude who did like the album, but seemed unaware that the last 3 tracks existed. Pretty epic fail right there.

GamerKT
06-23-2012, 10:51 AM
http://lukemoney.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/three-men-and-an-album-a-joint-review-of-the-offsprings-days-go-by/
These guys are self-proclaimed fans but they didn't like it. I thought they had some interesting points, though, particularly about "Turning Into You." "High-schoolish" is the perfect way to describe that song.

At the end they tack on this short review from another dude who did like the album, but seemed unaware that the last 3 tracks existed. Pretty epic fail right there.

I can't remember the last time I read something so pretentious.

Llamas
06-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Me: Oh, for the sake of the record, we’re talking about the album’s second single, “Cruising California (Bumpin’ in My Trunk).” It’s so bad I almost don’t want to see them on their next tour, just because they’ll play this song.

Dan: I will see them, and then I will boo them. Because that’s what they deserve for this piece of drivel.

Me: Hey, at least they’ll play songs off “Ignition” as an apology.

Hahahahaahah. Excellent.

Dexter_italy
06-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Me: Oh, for the sake of the record, we’re talking about the album’s second single, “Cruising California (Bumpin’ in My Trunk).” It’s so bad I almost don’t want to see them on their next tour, just because they’ll play this song.

Dan: I will see them, and then I will boo them. Because that’s what they deserve for this piece of drivel.

Me: Hey, at least they’ll play songs off “Ignition” as an apology.

Hahahahaahah. Excellent.

I think I would beat someone booing them at their own show for playing that song :D that's what he deserves

Llamas
06-23-2012, 01:17 PM
I think I would beat someone booing them at their own show for playing that song :D that's what he deserves

Jokes about being violent toward some = pretty much never funny

Dexter_italy
06-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Jokes about being violent toward some = pretty much never funny

I wasn't making a joke really, for sure I wouldn't be right, but I know myself, I'd really get pissed. But I don't think it's the place to discuss what gets on my nerve or to tell me that violence is bad. :D

gabrielsouz
06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Aos brasileiros...

http://www.brazilrockshow.com.br/?p=571#more-57

SapoCocas
06-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Aos brasileiros...

http://www.brazilrockshow.com.br/?p=571#more-57

An OK review. Agree with most of it but disagree with some parts, like the review about Hurting as one, which is a great song.

But the best part is when he says "Kate Perry" instead of Katy Perry, LOL.

Jason_Voorhees
06-23-2012, 11:05 PM
As a HUGE Offspring fan for about 15 years now, I'm somewhat disappointed in this album. I will still purchase it though, just so I can own all of their CDs. Some songs that really stuck out for me were The Future Is Now, Secrets From The Underground, Dirty Magic, Hurting As One, Divided By Zero and Slim Pickens. The absolute worst song on the album and probably Offspring's worst song ever is OC Guns. I don't think I've ever heard a song by these guys and cringed (until now) I actually enjoyed Cruisin' California because it's fun and catchy and they're making fun of all the bullshit music that's out nowadays that all sounds the same and sounds like shit (Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, etc.) Days Go By was a pretty boring song and I wish they didn't use it for their first single because it's a poor choice of a song to use an example of this album. I preferred the song better when it was "You'll Find A Way" I don't know why they changed it.

Overall, I would give this album a 7/10.. it's not their best work, but it's still better than Splinter.

gabrielsouz
06-23-2012, 11:11 PM
An OK review. Agree with most of it but disagree with some parts, like the review about Hurting as one, which is a great song.

But the best part is when he says "Kate Perry" instead of Katy Perry, LOL.

sobre o meu comentário de hurting as one, tem muita gente que concorda com você... tem muita gente reclamando dessa parte da resenha mesmo...

RonWelty
06-24-2012, 12:59 AM
As a HUGE Offspring fan for about 15 years now, I'm somewhat disappointed in this album. I will still purchase it though, just so I can own all of their CDs. Some songs that really stuck out for me were The Future Is Now, Secrets From The Underground, Dirty Magic, Hurting As One, Divided By Zero and Slim Pickens. The absolute worst song on the album and probably Offspring's worst song ever is OC Guns. I don't think I've ever heard a song by these guys and cringed (until now) I actually enjoyed Cruisin' California because it's fun and catchy and they're making fun of all the bullshit music that's out nowadays that all sounds the same and sounds like shit (Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, etc.) Days Go By was a pretty boring song and I wish they didn't use it for their first single because it's a poor choice of a song to use an example of this album. I preferred the song better when it was "You'll Find A Way" I don't know why they changed it.

Overall, I would give this album a 7/10.. it's not their best work, but it's still better than Splinter.

OC GUNS is amazing. It's the reggae Pretty Fly 2012. This is a fun song with quality. When I listen It's like I'm on downtown LA, I can feel I'm there. awesome song.

CC isn´t. I do listen sometimes, but It´s not good, I have to be honest.

Moose
06-24-2012, 01:55 AM
i dont intend to be a dick here...

...but i have seen several people refer to OC Guns as a joke and fun song.

I understand it may be quirky...but the song is basically about gangs in OC killing people...It's a cool groove and all, but so is April 29, 1992 by sublime...i dont consider that a fun or joke song either...

fun to listen to, and a fun song...different things...maybe im just being a pompous ass right now though...i just think people should understand the songs context...it is basically the opposite of cruising california.

killboybowerhead
06-24-2012, 02:01 AM
I think OC Guns is one of their best songs this decade. Its just fucking cool.

Hey Man Where's Everybody
06-24-2012, 02:02 AM

I understand it may be quirky...but the song is basically about gangs in OC killing people...It's a cool groove and all, but so is April 29, 1992 by sublime...i dont consider that a fun or joke song either...

fun to listen to, and a fun song...different things...maybe im just being a pompous ass right now though...i just think people should understand the songs context...it is basically the opposite of cruising california.

I think it's the fact that Dexter's singing the refrain (which includes the line Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki) in a bad Mexican accent that causes folks to not take the song too seriously.

I happen to love it.

Sara MZK
06-24-2012, 02:12 AM
I've been wondering for a while now whether OC Guns had a darker, more serious lyrical tone than the laid back, fun nature of the vocals/music would suggest. I had suspected that the song did have a sinister undercurrent, but without the lyric sheet in my hand, I couldn't be sure.

Even as a purely fun song, OC is by far a better song than CC, the fact it likely has a more serious lyrical slant just makes me love the song all the more! Definitely one of the best songs on the new album for sure, and that Mariachi trumpet is just all kinds of awesome!

Eskimo
06-24-2012, 03:03 AM
OC Guns is pretty obviously not a fun song.

It's a dude in a bad neighborhood being shot. Like...yeah.

RonWelty
06-24-2012, 04:21 AM

the instrumental and all the vocalizations through the song make me feel this as a fun song, like pretty fly was.
The difference, and I think you're right on that point, is that the lyrics they made for this are about a strong and serious subject.I think they wanted to talk about a serious topic but making it in a fun or lighter approach.

Sara MZK
06-24-2012, 04:39 AM
the instrumental and all the vocalizations through the song make me feel this as a fun song.

Whilst that is generally true, I think the Mariachi element in the music adds a sense of dread and menace to the sound. It gives it a darker touch that it wouldn't have if it wasn't there. Also the "shoot em' in the back" vocal is at once both silly and threatening at the same time. I really love what they did with this track. :)

Dex90
06-24-2012, 05:12 AM
As a HUGE Offspring fan for about 15 years now, I'm somewhat disappointed in this album. I will still purchase it though, just so I can own all of their CDs. Some songs that really stuck out for me were The Future Is Now, Secrets From The Underground, Dirty Magic, Hurting As One, Divided By Zero and Slim Pickens. The absolute worst song on the album and probably Offspring's worst song ever is OC Guns. I don't think I've ever heard a song by these guys and cringed (until now) I actually enjoyed Cruisin' California because it's fun and catchy and they're making fun of all the bullshit music that's out nowadays that all sounds the same and sounds like shit.

why are so many people offended by oc guns??? i think it truly is one of the best offspring songs to date!mixing the mariachi guitar and horn sound with their classic punk melody over reggae rhythms is pure genius!!!i think you are just afraid of change. then again you preferred cruisin' which says alot, because it may be funny but musically it is just pathetic. The album on the whole,however, is amazing! After RAFRAG and the days go by single i wasn't expecting much, but they have managed to retain their old school spirit and move forward at the same time! 9/10

Llamas
06-24-2012, 06:25 AM
I freaking LOVE OC Guns. I don't give a fuck.

Britpunk
06-24-2012, 06:44 AM

Pretty much :)

Chainsaw
06-24-2012, 07:39 AM
OC Guns is awesome. Pretty surprised I like it as much as I do.

mat.kc.
06-24-2012, 08:30 AM
OC Guns is pretty damn awesome. Blasted that in the car while cruising around yesterday. :P

DMelges
06-24-2012, 08:45 AM
OC Guns is pretty damn awesome. Blasted that in the car while cruising around yesterday. :P

Careful, you risk being pulled over for suspicion of drug possession haha

TheNooseIsFalling
06-24-2012, 08:49 AM
The three songs that I was the most sceptical about based on their titles (Slim Pickens, SFTU and OC Guns) are by far my favorites on the record and they're some of my favorite Offspring songs now. I'm still blown away by how fantastic this album turned out.

Sara MZK
06-24-2012, 08:51 AM
When I first heard OC Guns, I wasn't overly impressed with it. It didn't take long for it to get under my skin and infect me with it's awesomeness though!

Camila
06-24-2012, 09:30 AM

I'm not alone. Yay.

Jason_Voorhees
06-24-2012, 09:49 AM
why are so many people offended by oc guns??? i think it truly is one of the best offspring songs to date!mixing the mariachi guitar and horn sound with their classic punk melody over reggae rhythms is pure genius!!!i think you are just afraid of change. then again you preferred cruisin' which says alot, because it may be funny but musically it is just pathetic. The album on the whole,however, is amazing! After RAFRAG and the days go by single i wasn't expecting much, but they have managed to retain their old school spirit and move forward at the same time! 9/10

I don't know.. I respect your opinion and everyone else's who enjoys it, but it's just not my cup of tea, even from the band that got me into music.... it's just so repetitive and annoying.

"Tiki tiki tiki tiki whaddup homes??" makes my skin crawl.

Degstur Lolland
06-24-2012, 10:40 AM
More OCG love from me too! <3

Dexter_italy
06-25-2012, 05:39 AM
http://www.culturetease.com/2012/06/the-offspring-days-go-by-review/
another positive one

Llamas
06-25-2012, 07:01 AM
The absolute worst song on the album and probably Offspring's worst song ever is OC Guns. I don't think I've ever heard a song by these guys and cringed (until now) I actually enjoyed Cruisin' California because it's fun and catchy and they're making fun of all the bullshit music that's out nowadays that all sounds the same and sounds like shit (Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, etc.)

This is interesting to me. I really love OC Guns. It's one of my favorite songs on this album. The first Offspring song that made me visibly cringe was Want You Bad. Then even worse (and maybe the most cringe-worthy song they've done, imo) was The Worst Hangover Ever. Omg, *criiiiiiingggggge*. Then came Kristy Are You Doing Okay... and then Cruising California. All those songs make me cringe like nobody's business. But OC Guns? I love that song!

Supa
06-25-2012, 10:44 AM

My friend did the exact same thing. He was listening and was telling me what he thought through texting, and he stopped after nine songs, and said eight new songs weren't enough to think the album is one of the best, like I do. I told him to scroll, and he said he didn't even know there were three more songs. :/

Anyone else think the "shoot 'em in the back" vocals in OC Guns sounds like Dr. Evil?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-25-2012, 12:30 PM
make me cringe like nobody's business.
I must use this phrase in the near future.

Unnatural Disaster
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
I think OC Guns is one of their best songs this decade. Its just fucking cool.

I love OC Guns. I used to work with a lot of Hispanic people and I would hear words like cabron, pendejo, etc.... all the time. Hearing Dexter talk like that made me lol. :D

Eskimo
06-26-2012, 01:40 AM

You're not half as hardcore as those of us who rock out to Cruising.

Poser-lady. :cool:

nightvision
06-26-2012, 01:45 AM

So tru! BUMP THAT TRUNK!

effreyj
06-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Rolling Stone only gave it 2 stars:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/days-go-by-20120626

TheNooseIsFalling
06-26-2012, 06:50 AM
5 lines and they call it a review? Way to keep acting like you're still relevant, Rolling Stone.

The Search Button
06-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Vionline gave a more in-depth album review than Rolling Stone.

Llamas
06-26-2012, 06:56 AM

Yeah but I don't dislike that song because it's too poppy; I just find it boring. I like lots of wayyyyy sillier crap than that... so I'm the hardcorest ;)

Rooster
06-26-2012, 06:58 AM
I'm sorry, but does the so called "reviewer" even know what a REVIEW is? I'm quoting the entire review here, since it's so brief anyway:

Nine albums in, these Cali punks are coasting by on dourly told jokes and reheated mad-at-the-world bluster. The low point is the deliberately bubbleheaded Dr. Luke rip "Cruising California," a "gag" track with no laughs in sight. Songs like "Dirty Magic," which sounds like an hommage to Nevermind’s deep cuts, will at least aid ex-mall punks looking to work out midlife crises via adolescent angst.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/days-go-by-20120626#ixzz1yuK4pmHn

It just looks like it's one of those preconcieved opinions again. And does she even realise that Dirty Magic is a re-recording of an old song? Because it doesn't look like it. I mean really, are these people actually getting paid to write stuff like this? I could do better, so where's my money?

Llamas
06-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Sounds like the reviewer spent about 15 minutes total between listening to the songs and writing the review. Maybe he could've realized DM is not a new song, and that the lyrics in this album are not "hate the world" in any way.

Also, homage*.

findout5
06-26-2012, 07:41 AM
They put the record there (Rolling Stone) to premiere and they shit on it on the review.
GREAT JOB MANAGEMENT TEAM!!

momo91
06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
An other couple:

http://loudwire.com/the-offspring-days-go-by-album-review/

http://journalstar.com/entertainment/music/new-music-reviews-the-offspring-joey-ramone-alejandro-escovedo/article_f2aa5856-02c4-53e1-bc6a-41804bac1930.html

http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/Album+reviews+Maroon+Linkin+Park+Offspring/6842138/story.html

GamerKT
06-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Nine albums in, these Cali punks are coasting by on dourly told jokes and reheated mad-at-the-world bluster. The low point is the deliberately bubbleheaded Dr. Luke rip "Cruising California," a "gag" track with no laughs in sight. Songs like "Dirty Magic," which sounds like an hommage to Nevermind’s deep cuts, will at least aid ex-mall punks looking to work out midlife crises via adolescent angst.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/days-go-by-20120626#ixzz1yvGP39Ym

*homage

Reeeeaaaallyyy, Rolling fucking Stones??

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/KvNcmKvugcxl9Y9PYeiGi1zRIXmUrAsevRKXyOQaEANTGhuleV FH4IYDxQ90719fTQKA1dmo6Q=s640-h400-e365

mat.kc.
06-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Who the fuck takes the Rolling Stones serious anymore anyway? They've overstayed their welcome years ago. Reviewers don't know a damn thing about these bands. Fifteen minutes of criticism. That's what they get paid to do.

We all know how magnificent this album is. :)

brothadave79
06-26-2012, 10:57 AM
All of her reviews are about 2-3 sentences long. Cushy job.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Idk if it has been posted already but here is a decently positive review http://www.canada.com/entertainment/Album+reviews+Maroon+Linkin+Park+Offspring/6842138/story.html

The Search Button
06-26-2012, 11:49 AM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/52023/cruising-california-and-the-offsprings-diabolical-deathless-novelty-rock

This one is interesting even if you don't agree.

brothadave79
06-26-2012, 11:58 AM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/52023/cruising-california-and-the-offsprings-diabolical-deathless-novelty-rock

Seems like he's been waiting a long time to write this.

nightvision
06-26-2012, 12:01 PM
^I thought it was well written and entertaining.

GamerKT
06-26-2012, 12:25 PM

That reviewer sounds like a really huge cunt.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Did anyone else get the feeling that that guy used to be a huge, rabid Offspring fan when he was a teen, but hates the teen version of himself so much that he has to actively contradict everything he liked back then in order to cope?

GamerKT
06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Did anyone else get the feeling that that guy used to be a huge, rabid Offspring fan when he was a teen, but hates the teen version of himself so much that he has to actively contradict everything he liked back then in order to cope?

Yes.

Extra characters.

Eskimo
06-27-2012, 01:34 AM
Grow the fuck up, children. Our favorite band here NEVER gets praised in the press as a whole. They're part of the 90s alt-rock scene for fuck's sake.

You're not going to get a "whoa, what an accomplished game-changer!" review about this band, not ever.

RazielSR
06-27-2012, 01:39 AM

True. And that is happening to a lot of fans nowadays.

platinumpt
06-27-2012, 03:52 AM
Has any of those reviews stated that the album dies at song #6, and revives only at #9 with the remake of Dirty Magic? Well they should.

Tomo
06-27-2012, 05:11 AM
Wow... people actually read reviews in this time and age? People still blindly believe other's oppinions instead of trying that certain thing themselves and forming their own oppinion?
I seriously hope none of you guys here expected Days Go By to get any good reviews, no matter how great the album really is. It's the Offspring we're talking about; the band that made Pretty Fly (For a White Guy). Which means they're forever doomed to be ridiculed and looked down upon. Just like pretty much all of my favourite bands. Faith No More. Limp Bizkit. The Cars. Static-X. How many reviews you think I read in my lifetime that praised any of them?
So, if you get upset just because some people don't like what you like and write bad reviews, than you need to man the fuck up!

effreyj
06-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Allmusic gives it 2.5 stars...

http://www.allmusic.com/album/days-go-by-mw0002365246

Llamas
06-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Allmusic gives it 2.5 stars...

http://www.allmusic.com/album/days-go-by-mw0002365246

allmusic is my favorite music review site, and that is a horrible review! I don't mean because it's too negative or because they didn't like the album, but they wrote like 5 sentences about it, and it's inaccurate. Plus the album themes: Drinking, cool and cocky, playful, guys night out, TGIF... did they even listen to the album??

Rooster
06-27-2012, 06:12 AM
I didn't think it was that bad, really. It's not just 5 sentences, or did you overlook that "read more" ;)

I'm ok with people that don't like the album, it's their right not to like it. But I DO have a problem with people who don't put any effort into a review and then slam the album, like the writer of Rolling Stone "review" of the album, which is downright pathetic (wrong facts, bad grammar - which is NOT to be tolerated when you're a professional). It makes me angry that people can write such crap and then even get paid for it.

Llamas
06-27-2012, 06:32 AM
I didn't think it was that bad, really. It's not just 5 sentences, or did you overlook that "read more" ;)

.......tru dat.

offsrx
06-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Serbian's only rock magazine NOCTURNE(though they are more about metal), have done a review on DGB. It's kinda positive, except about dirty magic.. I'm gonna slay them for that :P
http://nocturnemagazine.net/impression/741/the-offspring-days-go-by

offsrx
06-27-2012, 06:50 AM
And here's a google translation version
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnocturnemagazine.net%2Fimpression%2 F741%2Fthe-offspring-days-go-by

dav0147
06-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Had a look in kerrang magazine in the shop when i was out today. They gave it 4K's. In summary they said it was yet another solid album from a very consistent and often overlooked band. Also complimented them on the different styles they used. Surprisingly said the must hear songs were Days Go By and All I Have Left is You and also mentioned Fix you as one of the must hears in their back catalogue. Overall the album is getting good press I'd say! :D

jsmak84
06-27-2012, 09:23 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/offspring/days_go_by/index.html

Review good review for the new album....

brothadave79
06-27-2012, 09:49 AM
allmusic is my favorite music review site, and that is a horrible review! I don't mean because it's too negative or because they didn't like the album, but they wrote like 5 sentences about it, and it's inaccurate. Plus the album themes: Drinking, cool and cocky, playful, guys night out, TGIF... did they even listen to the album??

I'm surprised a "well-crafted" album gets 2.5 stars. Also I think most of the opinion on the album was gleaned from just looking at the cover ("autumnal," "fall weather").

Outerspaceman21
06-27-2012, 11:05 AM
One of the reasons I stopped reading Rolling Stone magazine (along with it slowly turning into a Al Gore worshiping tabloid magazine) was it's lackluster reviews. It seems they don't put in any effort anymore with their reviews.

Rooster
07-01-2012, 03:35 AM
Despite some bad reviews, the reception was actually rather good. Way to go! :)

edit: my first post on the new boards :D

Leandro
07-01-2012, 06:23 AM
Good brazilian reviews:

http://whiplash.net/materias/cds/157738-offspring.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feedburner%2FiSMr+%28WHIPLASH .NET+-+Rock+e+Heavy+Metal%29

http://www.blahcultural.com/critica-de-days-go-by-novo-disco-do-the-offspring/

Eskimo
07-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Wow... people actually read reviews in this time and age? People still blindly believe other's oppinions instead of trying that certain thing themselves and forming their own oppinion?

Ur, lik, SO punx.

OffspringFreakess
07-01-2012, 03:19 PM
i'm pleasantly surprised with the new album! so much better than their last release, for sure. I wasn't too happy with RAFRAG so I was really hoping this one would turn out good. I'm in love with it! I especially like Dividing By Zero, The Future Is Now, Slim Pickens and Secrets From The Underground. Dividing by Zero reminds me so much of the old Offspring we've lost over the past few years...It's like if Ignition and Ixnay had a baby that's the song it would create, haha. Alot of songs do sound a little Rise Against-ish (which I'm not complaining about...I think they're good and I've always been able to tell our boys heavily influenced them) but I'm really pleased with it. I just got my tickets for their NJ show so I'm excited to hear some old and new material live. :)

Llamas
07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
I seriously hope none of you guys here expected Days Go By to get any good reviews, no matter how great the album really is. It's the Offspring we're talking about; the band that made Pretty Fly (For a White Guy). Which means they're forever doomed to be ridiculed and looked down upon. Just like pretty much all of my favourite bands. Faith No More. Limp Bizkit. The Cars. Static-X. How many reviews you think I read in my lifetime that praised any of them?
So, if you get upset just because some people don't like what you like and write bad reviews, than you need to man the fuck up!

If you read reviews to find people who agree with you, you're doing it wrong. I love reading reviews by intelligent people who tend to find things in music that I may have not noticed. Or sometimes they just view things differently and offer some cool perspectives. Reviews that either praise or condemn an album are generally boring to me; I like review that actually describe an album.

Static X gets terrible reviews everywhere, and it makes me lol. I really enjoy Static X, even though they're a pretty awful band and totally deserve the awful reviews :D I sometimes read reviews of their albums just to laugh at the shit they make fun of - and then I put on Start a War and rock out ;)

Eskimo
07-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Static-X were the shizzle. :D Ah, back to the days of crappy but awesome crappy-awesome awesome-crappy bands like them and Powerman 5000. They suck, but I love 'em.

Ah, youth.

Llamas
07-02-2012, 04:29 AM
Static-X were the shizzle. :D Ah, back to the days of crappy but awesome crappy-awesome awesome-crappy bands like them and Powerman 5000. They suck, but I love 'em.

Ah, youth.

Hahahaha Powerman 5000!!! I totally forgot about them! SUPERNOVA, YEAH SUPERNOVA DON'T STOOOOOOOOP! I seriously loved the shit out of that album and the next one. They were even crappier than Static X :D

Jakebert
07-02-2012, 11:41 AM
So I came back to talk about this album and didn't want to start a new thread.

The not-shocking thing to those that remember me is that I'm disappointed by it. The shocking thing to people that know me is why. Unlike the last few Offspring albums that I disliked across the board, this album has some genuinely great moments that are bogged down by some really terrible decisions. The stuff that works here is surprisingly self-aware and it seems that the band is finally recognizing the fact that they're aging and that they're no longer trying to be teenage punks in their 40s. But for every song like that there's "California Cruisin" or "OC Guns" or that terrible Coldplay song that completely undue any of the stuff that works. And the title track is just...ugh.

It's just hard to take a song about self-realization and aging seriously when it's on the same album as a song where a 40 year old man sings about g-strings like floss and cabooses with a straight face.

But yeah half of this album is the best thing they've done since Americana.

Mark Rooster
07-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Very well said.

OffspringFreakess
07-02-2012, 01:50 PM

Ah, youth.

daaaah i still love PM5K! haha, i listened to them soooo much during the 99-2000 time period. good times :)

Scythe Death
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
It's funny how defensive the band's fans are. It's like you don't want to read anything that says anything bad about an album you predetermined to be good on the basis of its origin, and not its actual content. You choose to ignore anything that pulls you from your comfort zone even if it presents accurate observations.

This album is probably the worst The Offspring's album. Anyone who believes some of these tracks are justifiable either don't know anything about music, the offspring, they're delusional, or all of the above.

Dividing by Zero reminds me so much of the old Offspring we've lost over the past few years...It's like if Ignition and Ixnay had a baby that's the song it would create, haha.

You mean if Ignition and Ixnay had a baby it would be the song "Teran"? Because that's the song from their first album they bit off. Another thing, the offspring reuses too many of their riffs and stuff. The guys should take into account that sounding like older albums shouldn't mean remaking a song or reusing them.

OffspringFreakess
07-02-2012, 06:58 PM
It's funny how defensive the band's fans are. It's like you don't want to read anything that says anything bad about an album you predetermined to be good on the basis of its origin, and not its actual content. You choose to ignore anything that pulls you from your comfort zone even if it presents accurate observations.

This album is probably the worst The Offspring's album. Anyone who believes some of these tracks are justifiable either don't know anything about music, the offspring, they're delusional, or all of the above.

You mean if Ignition and Ixnay had a baby it would be the song "Teran"? Because that's the song from their first album they bit off. Another thing, the offspring reuses too many of their riffs and stuff. The guys should take into account that sounding like older albums shouldn't mean remaking a song or reusing them.

It's not that we're defensive, but you have to keep in mind that The Offspring have been around for close to 30 years. They have to constantly change their sound enough to make it different but at the same time, keeping that old original sound. Not that I'm comparing any of these bands to The Offspring, but punk bands like Bad Religion, The Ramones and Rancid (just to name a fraction of bands that do this) have all reused riffs and tones that they've done before. All of their fans compare new material to the old stuff, just like with every band. It just happens, especially when they have such a huge discography to look back on. I'll be the first long time fan to admit that I didn't care for much after Splinter. I didn't even buy the last album. They have been my favorite band since I was 10 (and I'm almost 24) and I still don't judge newer material over old material.

And also, it's not a "fact" that this album sucks. Musical taste is all a matter of opinion. You can't just go and badmouth a record like it's fact. That's just ignorant.

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2012, 10:15 PM

I'm probably going to get shit for saying this, but here goes anyway. I'm not saying I don't skip songs on this album, because I do. I skip songs on Ignition, too. But overall, I think the strong parts of this album are stronger than RAFRAG and on a level with Americana. Stacked against Splinter, Days Go By would win no contest. I think what distracts on this album is that they took some big risks, and while I think that's admirable to be doing that nearly 30 years deep into a career, some of those risks were....risky. I think it's a shame that's overshadowing how good it really is.

If you think they're the only band repurposing old songs of theirs, you should probably listen to more bands.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
07-02-2012, 10:41 PM
See I'm kinda of on board with lm here. This album is definetaly on par with Americana. And this is coming from a guy whose favorite album is Americana. Yes they took some big risks but overall this album is the best they've done in years. Way better than RAFRAG. Rise and Fall had a strong first half until Kristy, Fix You, Takes Me Nowwhere, and Rise and Fall. I skip all of those tracks Every. Single. Time. However, with Days Go By, I only skip All I Have Left Is You. I don't even skip Crusing California. That's how good of an album it is.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-02-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm probably going to get shit for saying this

Au contraire! At least no more than you get shit for doing everything you do on this board no matter how well you do it. It was nice to hear your opinion on the album. I was beginning to wonder if you just totally hated it and couldn't say so because of your position on the boards :)

I mostly agree with your assessment, except that some of the risks actually ended up being my favorite parts of the album. And I also think that RFRG's very strongest points are awfully hard to beat. Hammerhead is still like OMG, one of my favorite songs ever. RFRG had some rather low points too, though. As many risks as they took on DGB, I'm not sure that any of its weaker areas bring it down quite as much.

Stylistically, RFRG is much more consistent than DGB. DGB is really all-over-the-place in terms of style. But in terms of maintaining a good quality throughout the album, I'd say DGB is more consistent.

DGB just doesn't quite have that "album" feel to me. That middle section is definitely the biggest 3-song departure they've ever done. I might like this album better if I took like a 2-minute break between every 2 songs to listen to some muzak or something. Song-by-song, I really like it, but all those weird styles crammed together on one disc is a little discombobulating.

NoGuessing
07-02-2012, 11:00 PM

Ah, using the logical fallacy of smear tactics against people who like it to discredit an album. How I've missed this.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone trying to justify their opinion by saying people who disagreed with them don't know anything about music, I would be a very rich man. Lets look at the substance of your argument here, putting aside for a moment the other favourite logical fallacy of music listeners is music can be judged objectively like a science (it can't and isn't). You have provided no factual objective evidence here to prove why some songs on the album cannot be enjoyed by someone who is mentally able, musically literate, or Offspring savvy. Your entire argument is ad hominem.

It's not standing up very well to some light scrutiny. Would you like to try again mate?

Anyway, yeah The Offspring repeat themselves. I don't think anyone actually denies this. Dividing By Zero is a mixture of Tehran, Hammerhead and Pay The Man to my ear. If a riff or a melody can be reinvented to sound like its own fresh song to my ear, I am cool with this. If it doesn't, I'm not so cool with it. Change The World is an awesome new look at the Genocide melody but Nothingtown could have done better with the Want You Bad riff in my subjective opinion.

Now can we stop being pretentious and realise the point of art is it is subjective? The phrase "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" wasn't coined by a music critic, I assure you.;)

Thank you.

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Now can we stop being pretentious and realise the point of art is it is subjective? The phrase "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" wasn't coined by a music critic, I assure you.;)

Real talk. If you don't like or even hate a song on the album, chances are it wasn't written for you.

Sara MZK
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
@NoGuessing: Thank you for saving me the trouble of posting a long, drawn out critique of Scythe Death's post, by saying everything I wanted to say to him. lol Everything you said was absolutely bang on the money! :)

As for the side discussion going on here about how good/bad the new album is, how it compares to past albums, and the risks they took on it...

For me personally, not every risk they've taken on this album has payed off. You can't please everyone though, no matter what you do. Some people complain about them recycling old ideas, and some complain when they do something completely different... so they can't win either way! Though sometimes the risks they take don't work, and even on a small amount of occasions be totally cringeworthy, the times when the risks do pay off, and they strike gold, makes those mishaps totally worth it.

They took some major risks on the last album too, which mostly failed abysmally, but "A Lot Like Me" shone on that album like a jewel, and was not only one of the best tracks on that album, but also one of the best tracks they've ever done, period. Likewise, on the new album, there are some questionable ideas and songs on there, but when something unique works, like the wonderful "O.C. Guns", and the glistening title track, it makes me very happy that they are changing things up, and making some different sounding music, whilst still making it work within The Offspring's style.

The Offspring have never made a bad album, only albums of a lesser consistency and quality. Even "Splinter", which comes in for quite a bit of criticsm, and I myself find a bit ropey, contains some absolutely classic songs on it. RAFRAG was similar, just with more musical risks taken, and "Days Go By" also continues in a similar vein. However, I think they are taking a step in the right direction. Whilst this album is a bit inconsistent, it's not as much so as the last two albums, and is overall, a far stronger album. It only contains two songs which I consider to be less than great, which shows they are getting better at experimenting, but also being able to make that work in a full album framework, and making a more consistent body of work. It's not a perfect album by any means, but it is a great one, and easily their most consistent work in many years. :)

NoGuessing
07-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Yeah I found the album not perfect. For me, the title track and CC just sound weird in context of the album, and so does the DM remake.

To elaborate on DM, I like the remake, but its like "here's all this very relevant modern lyrical content you can relate to things happening today, and now here's a few experiments to take our band in a completely new direction, and now hey look, a song from 1992!"

It was worth a crack and I like the remake, but its position on the album jarred the flow for me. I see this album as a four part show with four square peg in round hole songs. It probably doesn't help TFIN flows into Secrets, Turning Into You and Hurting As One can be seen as a short story, the ballad is connected to OC Guns by the crackling sound and the experimentation, and then /0 and Slim Pickens sounds like another short story to me. Then in between you have some stand alone songs.

I seem to be in the minority for finding DGB being weird in the context of the album though. Heh.

I like it much more than RAFRAG though. RAFRAG felt like to halves of different albums mashed together in two chunks. I like some of the songs in the back half individually, but when they're right next to each other they steal each others uniqueness.

Dexter_italy
07-03-2012, 12:22 AM
If you check the board you can see that offspring fans are all but not that defensive.... Personally I don't care that much about a bad review if it has a point, but until the majority of the reviews I read were horrible, mocking or bashing the disc without a real review. It seems they can't stand that the offspring put good punk rock songs and can't stand the other styles too.. I totally understand bad reviews for Cruising California, but not for O.C. Guns, and I'm trying to go a bit behind musical taste, O.C. Guns is a well written song, a successful try for the band. Through the years everything has been said about the band, they just use a couple of chords, the drums are always the same etc.... from this point of view the album is a great depart for the band, the songs are plenty of guitar textures and drum patterns and fills.

Little_Miss_1565
07-03-2012, 08:33 AM
In fact, I'd say most of the fans on this board are the opposite of defensive of them. The band gets torn a new asshole on here sometimes. Tijs and I can only do so much to stop that.

OffspringFreakess
07-03-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm probably going to get shit for saying this, but here goes anyway. I'm not saying I don't skip songs on this album, because I do. I skip songs on Ignition, too. But overall, I think the strong parts of this album are stronger than RAFRAG and on a level with Americana. Stacked against Splinter, Days Go By would win no contest. I think what distracts on this album is that they took some big risks, and while I think that's admirable to be doing that nearly 30 years deep into a career, some of those risks were....risky. I think it's a shame that's overshadowing how good it really is.

If you think they're the only band repurposing old songs of theirs, you should probably listen to more bands.

totally agreed.

Mark Rooster
07-03-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm surprised so many people consider Days Go By a more cohesive album than Rise and Fall. To each their own, of course, but for my money, the new one is a bit all over the place; I thought Rise and Fall felt more together, the songs fit better.

Sara MZK
07-03-2012, 09:12 AM
In fact, I'd say most of the fans on this board are the opposite of defensive of them. The band gets torn a new asshole on here sometimes. Tijs and I can only do so much to stop that.

Well, I think some people have the mistaken and rather foolish idea that if you dislike anything a band does (in this case The Offspring), then you can't be a "real fan". That in order to be classed as that, you must unreservedly love every single thing, a band has ever released. I see that view as ridiculous as those who mindlessly bash the band. Criticsm is fine, as long as it's completely honest, and coming from the right place. I love The Offspring, but they have made music that I'm not enamoured about, and I won't mince my words about that, but that doesn't make me any less of a fan at all. However, I will defend them if I feel they are being mindlessly bashed, for frivilous or stupid reasons.

findout5
07-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Well, I think some people have the mistaken and rather foolish idea that if you dislike anything a band does (in this case The Offspring), then you can't be a "real fan". That in order to be classed as that, you must unreservedly love every single thing, a band has ever released. I see that view as ridiculous as those who mindlessly bash the band. Criticsm is fine, as long as it's completely honest, and coming from the right place. I love The Offspring, but they have made music that I'm not enamoured about, and I won't mince my words about that, but that doesn't make me any less of a fan at all. However, I will defend them if I feel they are being mindlessly bashed, for frivilous or stupid reasons.

Quoted for TRUTH! I 2nd that motion.

Jakebert
07-03-2012, 07:13 PM
The Offspring re-purposing old songs is one of those negative side effects that comes with being a pop-punk band. Like it or not, there's only so many places a band with such a limited palate can really go. I've always likened punk rock to a comic strip as opposed to a painting: a comic strip uses incredibly simple tools to create something that can still be fairly complex. But there's only so many times you can use those simple tools to make something. Almost any long-running comic strip either gets stale (Foxtrot), re-uses old ideas but with new characters (Peanuts, which in it's later years recycled stories with newly introduced characters), or it expands beyond the original template by bringing in different tools (Doonsbury). Most of the comic strips considered the best ever ran for 5-10 years, ran out of ideas, then ended (Calvin and Hobbes). This is kind of the same cycle that happens with punk bands, which is why most punk bands either become straight pop bands or even metal bands by the end of their careers.

While I give The Offspring credit for trying new stuff on this album, I have to say that most of the bigger experiments don't work. The ones that work best are the more subtle ones where the band becomes, as Allmusic.com put it, an "adult contemporary punk band". Songs that slightly bite off some older songs, then run them through a more adult and cleaned up filter to make them seem more like generic alternative rock than punk (not in a bad way, aside from the title track). But I don't think the band themselves really realize that, and I'm not sure that they even realize that songs like "The Future Is Now" are a subtle variation on the kind of punk they've always done.

I still think it's better than RAFRAG. I know I'm in the minority, but I found that album to be really uninspired and lifeless. This one does have a pretty nice energy to it and the moments that work seem really genuine. Even stuff that I might have found boring on older records (Turning Into You) work for me a bit because of this.

OffspringFreakess
07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
I still think it's better than RAFRAG. I know I'm in the minority, but I found that album to be really uninspired and lifeless. This one does have a pretty nice energy to it and the moments that work seem really genuine. .

i totally back this up. I felt like RAFRAG was just an album for them to "come back" with, and it didn't have much inspiration since they were gone for so long.

TheJakes84
07-04-2012, 04:50 AM
The Offspring - Days Go By Review

Since releasing their Greatest Hits compilation, The Offspring have suffered from a lack of musical direction. There's clear evidence that major success in the mid 00s of fellow bands such as Green Day, Foo Fighters and even Coldplay left a big impact on The Offspring. As a result, their previous record was an attempt at a comeback by creating something big, heavy yet accessible, but they couldn't concentrate all their new influences into their own sound. This way, Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace, ended up as a carbon copy of each of the bands mentioned and themselves.

So now, four years later, besides the damage done by the band to their own fan base, the expectations lowered to a minimum with the aid of the first two singles released, the title track, "Days Go By" and "Cruisin' California (Bumpin' In My Trunk)", the former being the sound of a tired band and bearing a strong resemblance to Foo Fighters' "Times Like These", while the latter is another failed attempt, this time at a Katy Perry spoof. The track itself is slightly better than such an abomination as "The Worst Hangover Ever", but coming from The Offspring is just disappointing. In the end, the listener won't know if this is really intended as a spoof or is just a masked attempt at a summer hit.

However, despite the weak singles, the album is their most solid work since Splinter (and yeah Splinter is good). The first two tracks opening Days Go By are their hardest hitting in a long time. Both "The Future Is Now" and "Secrets From The Underground" reflect more or less the overall theme of time passing us by. Even if Dexter Holland's lyrics aren't his most effective, this time he actually has something to say, instead of just giving a shot at arena sized laments and cheesy choruses. Along with their trademark frantic riffing and sharp leads, there are some gentle piano touches that really blend in the whole mix, at the same time being the best thing that came off Rise And Fall. Also, contrary to popular belief, "Secrets From The Underground" is much rather a confession related to the danger on the streets these days, more precisely the violent nature of the people and all the gang wars going on ("Hey you, no, I'm not gonna go away/I've got something more to say/ Kicking, screaming, knocks you down, it knocks you down/ Hey you, you, underneath, we'll tear you down/Secrets from the underground, anger's gone so far "). Even if the lyrics are somewhat vague, The Offspring don't expect people to think of them as an underground band after 18 years of mainstream exposure. Nevertheless, these two songs are really good and start the album really strong.

From here on, the quality of the tracks constantly goes up and down. "Turning Into You" is a nice addition to Days Go By, as it showcases the fact that The Offspring can still bring something good to the table without copying their mid 90s output. The track constantly shifts gears, it doesn't sound forced and is really enjoyable as a whole. This is the way most of the material on Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace should have sounded if done right. On the negative side, "All I Have Left Is You" doesn't succeed as a power ballad mainly because Dexter's lyrics are superficial and uninteresting, in the same way "Kristy, Are You Okay?" ended up as a 10 year old lament, despite the fact that it touches a delicate subject. The band proved they can churn out powerful ballads (see "Gone Away", which technically isn't a ballad, but the lyrics really bring the track to life), but lately they seem forced, as if the records are meant to have some sort of ballads.

Another highlight on Days Go By is the reworked version of "Dirty Magic", off their 1992 record, Ignition. The sound quality is definitely better, the guitars are more audibly layered and overall, the band really made justice to such an underrated song. Also, "Dividing By Zero" is the closest this record comes to old school Offspring: with a great, catchy melody and powerful guitars, the track really brings out great memories as well as nostalgia in between fans. Even though infamous producer Bob Rock is at the helm once again, this time he kept his overpolishing tendencies to a lower level. However, it would be of great benefit if they ditched Rock for future releases.

Overall, Days Go By ends up as a solid record only because there are traces of The Offspring again and not a band that tries to copy others. Still, at the same time, it offers some memorable tracks worthy of putting next to earlier material and a hope for more in the following years. It seems that The Offspring slowly realize that a change in sound isn't necessary, as they are at their most effective when covering their own ground.

TheJakes84
07-04-2012, 04:52 AM
If you didn’t guess by the title, the Offspring are in a state of reflection with their ninth album, ‘Days Go By.’
Despite the theme, the album still keeps the immediacy that fans have come to reflect in the band’s sound. While audiences have been a little mixed on the poppy second single, ‘Cruising California (Bumpin’ in My Trunk),’ it should be noted that the song is more of an exception than the standard on the ‘Days Go By’ disc.

The first half of the disc is especially straight out of the Offspring playbook, with opening track ‘The Future Is Now’ and ‘Hurting as One’ serving as full-throttle rockers with the standard punk beat. ‘Secrets From the Underground’ and ‘Turning Into You’ have more driving beats, with the latter offering several opportunities for the audiences to shout “Hey” within the body of the song.

Then there’s the title track, which is the first single and most radio friendly rocker on the album. With its lyrics of “All your anger / All your hurt / Doesn’t matter in the end / Those days go by / And we all start again,” the song is typical of the sort of reflection embodied on the record.

‘The Future is Now’ begins the reflective look, warning the listener, “The future is here / This is how I disappear,” while the mid-tempo standout ‘All I Have Left is You’ is more relationship-based in the reflection, “We’re holding on / When there’s nothing left to hold onto / So I’m holding on / Because all I have left is you.”

Being nine records in, singer Dexter Holland recently expressed the difficulty of keeping things fresh and having to dig a little deeper, and the latter half of the disc is where we see the band break out of the mold a bit. ‘Cruising California’ definitely has a pop feel and could be destined for crossover “Song of the Summer” status. ‘O.C. Guns’ has the mixture of funky reggae bass, a dub vibe, and horns thrown in for a gangsta feel, and ‘Dirty Magic’ has single potential, with the band exploring a darker tone that usual.

But before you forget what band this is, ‘Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell’ finishes out the disc in full Offspring glory, with prerequisite sing-along cursing and an unmistakable beat. It’s bound to be a live favorite, and brings it all back around to make this a quintessential Offspring disc.

TheJakes84
07-04-2012, 05:00 AM
http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/listen-the-offspring-days-go-by-full-album/

Alternate rock:

Days Go By

The Offspring

(Columbia)

3.5/5 stars

Punk’s changed. Originally, it was the result of fixing a broken guitar amp with modelling glue in a poorly ventilated garage. By the ‘90s, when California’s The Offspring exploded, it was the sound of a skateboard landing a kickflip in a suburban parking lot. If Days Go By is any indication, the genre’s public face has matured into sun-bleached rock incorporating a variety of influences underpinned by generalized angst. The result is a radio-friendly album that feels honest despite its meanderings. Hurting as One and The Future Is Now deliver vintage Offspring punchiness, while All I Have Left is You is an earnest ballad. Some tangents don’t work — Cruising California (Bumpin’ in my Trunk) sounds like singer Dexter Holland trying to hit on Ke$ha, for example — but as a whole, the album feels cohesive in spirit, if not style.

— Al Kratina, Montreal Gazette

Llamas
07-04-2012, 06:38 AM
I'm getting really sick of seeing people say "alternate" instead of "alternative". They're very different words. You can't listen to alternate rock, and gay people don't live an alternate lifestyle.

DarrellOCguy
07-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Found a review i fully agree with
http://ourvinyl.com/the-offspring-days-go-by/

Sara MZK
07-04-2012, 09:43 AM

I don't quite fully agree with it, but I do agree with much of it, and it is a decent, well written review. Aside from his comments on Turning Into You, and Hurting As One, I pretty much agree with everything else he said.

DarrellOCguy
07-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Youre right. hurting as one is one of my faves. i agree On the cruising california and all i have left the most. They are the only two i dont care for

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-04-2012, 10:13 AM
From the depths of their catalog they’ve re-recorded the song “Dirty Magic” from their 1993 album Ignition.
Nice.

I liked the review. I disagreed with a couple things, but overall it seemed pretty decent.

Sara MZK
07-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Youre right. hurting as one is one of my faves. i agree On the cruising california and all i have left the most. They are the only two i dont care for

The only two I don't care for are Cruising California, and I Wanna Secret Family. lol With that said, I don't find All I Have Left Is You to be one of the best songs on the album, though it is better than most other songs of that type that they've attempted before I think. And I love the solo on it!

Little_Miss_1565
07-04-2012, 06:08 PM
I thought "Secret Family" was hilarious.

cool 2 hate 681
07-04-2012, 06:32 PM

it's a decent review i think it's funny our vinyl.com is reviewing the new offspring lp when a vinyl version of the album doesn't exist

also he is wrong on this the red hot chili peppers have not released a album this year and he doesn't even know what year ignition came out

a strong argument could be made for it being a return of the 90s. Soundgarden released their first new song in 15 years on the Avengers soundtrack, Smashing Pumpkins and Red Hot Chili Peppers have released albums this year.

TMDGJ
07-04-2012, 08:56 PM
The only two I don't care for are Cruising California, and I Wanna Secret Family. lol With that said, I don't find All I Have Left Is You to be one of the best songs on the album, though it is better than most other songs of that type that they've attempted before I think. And I love the solo on it!

I was gonna write exactly this, This is exactly how I feel about this album. I also think the remake of Dirty Magic is good, but a little uneccesary, it would have been better as a single on its own or as a bonus track on the next greatest hits album, like cant repeat was.

Actually i discovered that if you remove CC and I want a secret family from the playlist you get a stellar 5 star Offspring-album.

I do still think it is their worst album though, but that doesn't mean I dont like it. This is the only album in which I actually skip songs (Those mentioned above) and therefore it automatically becomes their worst, but like I said, that doesnt make it bad. CC is a song that actually pains me to listen to, and where OC Guns is a song that gets better and better every time I listen to it, CC is a song that is just as horrible now as it was when I first heard it. I can take a lot of diversions from The Offspring, but CC is a lot of steps too far.

Also, The future is now is a little too similiar to Saviour, and Days Go By are a little too similiar to times like these and somehow I feel a little sad that they dont try to do their own thing with it, it feels like taking the easy way out, but that doeesnt mean that those are bad songs, and they are definitly not rip-offs.

All in all, for being the ninth album, things could have been so much worse (Like Linkin Parks latest album for example)

Now all I want is for them to come to my country and maybe I can even forgive them for CC.

Sara MZK
07-05-2012, 12:02 AM
@TMDGJ: I agree about Dirty Magic, I think it would have worked better as a bonus track. If I had to remove two tracks from the album, CC and I Wanna Secret Family are the ones I'd choose without any hesitation, although the former track is quite a bit worse than the latter one! I never hated OC Guns, although I definitely didn't love it at first. After about the 4th or 5th listen though, I loved it, and I now think it's a great song, and I'm really glad they took the risk with that one. I especially love the mariachi element to it, and how the lyrics are actually quite vicious, even though on first listen, they come off as quite humorous! A very well written, and worked out song. :)

I don't feel like getting into the whole thing of "The Future Is Now sounding like Savior" etc. stuff again, as I think the soundalikes are miniscule at best, and not really worth mentioning, especially not as a means of downgrading those songs. It's also worth mentioning here, that Times Like These's main riff sounds similar to the main riff from She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult, although that isn't a rip-off, and neither is Days Go By. Having a vague similarity to another song is not enough for me to downgrade it. It really needs to be close to rip-off territory in order for me to do that, and none of the songs on Days Go By fit into that category for me.

Overall, I think Days Go By is a stronger album than the previous one, and maybe Splinter too, so I don't think it's their worst album. Yep, it has flaws, but there's far more great moments on the album than weak ones. :)

XYlophonetreeZ
07-05-2012, 07:51 AM
"She Sells Sanctuary" is one of those songs that had a really distinctive sound, so everything gets accused of ripping it off. "Ignoreland" by R.E.M. has a lot of similarities to it, but I don't think it was a ripoff.

Sara MZK
07-05-2012, 08:19 AM
"She Sells Sanctuary" is one of those songs that had a really distinctive sound, so everything gets accused of ripping it off. "Ignoreland" by R.E.M. has a lot of similarities to it, but I don't think it was a ripoff.

You're totally right, and also if anything, I think Days Go By sounds more like She Sells Sanctuary than it sounds like Times Like These, but anyway... lol The Foos didn't rip off The Cult, and The Offspring didn't rip off the Foos, no matter what anyone else might say. I just used the example to show how easy it is to cry "rip off" without realising exactly what that term actually means.

Lots of individual riffs and parts of songs sound similar to parts of other songs, but unless they are identical, then it can't be called a rip off, and there's also nothing wrong with it. The main riff of Two Minutes To Midnight by Iron Maiden sounds very similar to a riff that had been used in slightly different variations by other bands before them, but again, whilst being similar, it was not the same, and that's the key here. Variations of that riff have been used by countless bands over the years, but none of them sound identical. Its the same thing with She Sells Sanctuary, it has a very distinctive sound, and Ive heard a few songs that sound similar to it (Times Like These and Days Go By being only two of them), but I've yet to hear a song that rips it off wholesale.

mrscottmusic
07-14-2012, 12:51 PM
REVIEW: The Offspring - Days Go By - listen http://mrscottmusicblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/review-offspring-days-go-by-listen.html

Scythe Death
07-14-2012, 06:50 PM
It's not that we're defensive, but you have to keep in mind that The Offspring have been around for close to 30 years. They have to constantly change their sound enough to make it different but at the same time, keeping that old original sound. Not that I'm comparing any of these bands to The Offspring, but punk bands like Bad Religion, The Ramones and Rancid (just to name a fraction of bands that do this) have all reused riffs and tones that they've done before. All of their fans compare new material to the old stuff, just like with every band. It just happens, especially when they have such a huge discography to look back on. I'll be the first long time fan to admit that I didn't care for much after Splinter. I didn't even buy the last album. They have been my favorite band since I was 10 (and I'm almost 24) and I still don't judge newer material over old material.

And also, it's not a "fact" that this album sucks. Musical taste is all a matter of opinion. You can't just go and badmouth a record like it's fact. That's just ignorant.

If anything is ignorant is shedding all notions about music and artistry in order to pull the pitiful opinion card as if Justin Beiber could ever be compared to Vivaldi. I repeat, if anyone thinks any of these tracks are justifiable they either know nothing about music, the offspring, are delusional, or all of the above. I'm convinced you fall into that. Leave the comments to people that actually know how to analyze music instead of just pretending that everyone's contribution iss the product of arbitrary notions and thus meaningless.

I'm very aware that bands change, it just happens that The Offspring didn't change into anything good. Their album is garbage, and the premise that they "have to change" is irrelevant given that if this had been the Offspring's first album or the latest one, the album is still garbage.

My main complaint wasn't even that they reused riffs, but that you (at least I hope it was you) had the mind-boggling notion that Divided by Zero was somehow a cross-bread between two albums it has nothing to do with, as if you were oblivious to their first album and don't know that much. I was implying you don't know much about The Offspring while jabbing at their poor-songwriting methods.

GamerKT
07-14-2012, 07:15 PM
If anything is ignorant is shedding all notions about music and artistry in order to pull the pitiful opinion card as if Justin Beiber could ever be compared to Vivaldi. I repeat, if anyone thinks any of these tracks are justifiable they either know nothing about music, the offspring, are delusional, or all of the above. I'm convinced you fall into that. Leave the comments to people that actually know how to analyze music instead of just pretending that everyone's contribution iss the product of arbitrary notions and thus meaningless.

I'm very aware that bands change, it just happens that The Offspring didn't change into anything good. Their album is garbage, and the premise that they "have to change" is irrelevant given that if this had been the Offspring's first album or the latest one, the album is still garbage.

My main complaint wasn't even that they reused riffs, but that you (at least I hope it was you) had the mind-boggling notion that Divided by Zero was somehow a cross-bread between two albums it has nothing to do with, as if you were oblivious to their first album and don't know that much. I was implying you don't know much about The Offspring while jabbing at their poor-songwriting methods.

I think you're a jerk. Your mother probably thinks you're a good person. Neither of us are "right" because neither of those are demonstrable facts. You see how opinions work? Now, stop stating yours as fact. Please.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-14-2012, 08:34 PM
This album is far from garbage. Also, my enjoyment of the album will not be altered just because of someone's complaining. I love this album!

Llamas
07-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Guys, it's best to just look the other way and ignore.

malepunker
07-15-2012, 01:57 AM

I agree with some statements you put. But what I don't get is why you're so worried with originality and rightfullness when it's Offspring it's been talked about. They've shown a tendency to be more about fun or silly songs than anything else in the last albums. It's only entertainment. Even their lyrics hardly go to some deeper issue or meaning. I think you're taking the band more seriously than they take themselfs.

Also, musically they're probably having a hard time to get new ideas, and I get it 'cause they've released a bunch of albums already and given Dexter's the only composer, it must be tough! So I totally expect some "revisiting" the old stuff.

Rooster
07-15-2012, 04:01 AM

Wow, what crawled up your ass? What it is that makes you better than anyone else and therefore more suitable to comment on music? You can have your opinion, you can dislike the album all the way you want, I don't give a fuck about that. But you don't need to act like your opinion is the only one that matters and present it as a fact, as it's just like all the other opinions - totally subjective.

And before calling me a fanboy or something - there are others who expressed their disappointment in the new album, but they didn't get any flak for it, because, you know, they didn't act like dicks. Just sayin'.

Llamas
07-15-2012, 08:07 AM
I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Scythe Death doesn't know how to speak to people in a remotely kind way, nor does he know how to respect others' opinions. This guy isn't worth arguing with, everyone. I know I got in many an argument with him a few years ago... just not worth it.

Eskimo
07-16-2012, 02:14 AM
Whiner-babies. Grow a pair, people. You too, girls.

Anyway, "Secret Family" had better be the third single, or a fourth if the album has that kind of legs. Beyond fucking necessary. Between "All I Have Left Is You" and "Secret Family", the pop-y stuff on this disc is the best they've done in forever.

A month since release, maybe 15 listens through (finally got a hard copy), the album hasn't tired for me yet. Really good sign. I kinda eventually just put like four or five songs from RAFRAG on my mp3 player and rarely went back to listen to the other stuff after a while. Can't see that happening with DGB, there's really barely any filler at all here aside from "Hurting As One", but all their albums have one of those types of tracks. "Days Go By" the song doesn't do a whole lot for me either, but it's hardly bad.

The rest, though? Old-fashioned punky stuff and softer songs alike, so very pleasantly surprised. It's this big melting pot of them doing what they do well, and 90% of the time they hit the mark this time.

Llamas
07-16-2012, 05:35 AM
A month since release, maybe 15 listens through (finally got a hard copy), the album hasn't tired for me yet. Really good sign. I kinda eventually just put like four or five songs from RAFRAG on my mp3 player and rarely went back to listen to the other stuff after a while. Can't see that happening with DGB, there's really barely any filler at all here aside from "Hurting As One", but all their albums have one of those types of tracks. "Days Go By" the song doesn't do a whole lot for me either, but it's hardly bad.

After a month with RFRG (in fact, for about a year after RFRG came out), it was my favorite Offspring album. I didn't like every song on it, but I really thought it was an incredible record. It took more than a year before I stopped listening to most of the album. Right now, I like DGB better than RFRG for sure... but I already skip Days Go By and Cruising California. We'll see if anything gets added to that list, but as of right now, I agree with you. I don't know if I've listened through that entire album in the last year - I always seem to listen to the first six tracks and SIMU... and that's it.

I do disagree, however, that Days Go By, the song, isn't bad. It's a pretty awful song.

MOTO13
07-16-2012, 06:55 AM
Finally got the DGB cd yesterday. I listened to it while making dinner and I can say it is excellent. Really liked the entire CD. Even...CC. It is so damn catchy it almost stunned me and I panned this song hard. Overall I would say this is one of their best CD's in years...awsome.

Tiny Vessels
07-16-2012, 03:41 PM
I really like Days Go By it is such a good cd. But the one thing I didn't care for is the re-make of Dirty Magic. I LOVE the original but I just don't like it. I think they should have left it alone.

Scythe Death
07-17-2012, 11:37 AM
I think you're a jerk. Your mother probably thinks you're a good person. Neither of us are "right" because neither of those are demonstrable facts. You see how opinions work? Now, stop stating yours as fact. Please.

Wow, what crawled up your ass? What it is that makes you better than anyone else and therefore more suitable to comment on music? You can have your opinion, you can dislike the album all the way you want, I don't give a fuck about that. But you don't need to act like your opinion is the only one that matters and present it as a fact, as it's just like all the other opinions - totally subjective.

And before calling me a fanboy or something - there are others who expressed their disappointment in the new album, but they didn't get any flak for it, because, you know, they didn't act like dicks. Just sayin'.

I don't particularly care if you think I'm being a dick or something.

What you people don't seem to understand is that there is a very substantial difference between "arbitrary" and "subjective". I recommend you guys read yourselves on a little bit about philosophy of art and aesthetics. Also, the middle school reasoning of "fact vs opinion" won't get you very far in logic and argument.

I agree with some statements you put. But what I don't get is why you're so worried with originality and rightfullness when it's Offspring it's been talked about. They've shown a tendency to be more about fun or silly songs than anything else in the last albums. It's only entertainment. Even their lyrics hardly go to some deeper issue or meaning. I think you're taking the band more seriously than they take themselfs.

Also, musically they're probably having a hard time to get new ideas, and I get it 'cause they've released a bunch of albums already and given Dexter's the only composer, it must be tough! So I totally expect some "revisiting" the old stuff.

The Offspring, despite being a very humorous bands, have at least always had very well written funny songs. Any song I can think of from Self-Titled to Splinter that is humorous either does have an underlying message even if it's just bitterly and sarcastically panning on an archetype of persons or they're just very well written in terms of lyrics in general.

Their songs are just characteristically bitter, sarcastic, misanthropic, analytic, and clever in general. Then shit like Cruisin' California comes up and it's just utter degradation. It's a disgrace in music history. I genuinely thought that The Offspring couldn't sink lower than "Shit is Fucked Up", which is still a little bit like The Offspring, but is just awfully written.

This album, for the most part, is just brainless cliches thrown into an album with no direction, moreso than RaFRaG. The issue is not that they're revisiting old stuff. They revisit at least on of their songs in every album lol. The issue is that they're dumbing it down.

MOTO13
07-17-2012, 12:27 PM

The fact that you think this album (DGB) is garbage speaks volumes about your musical taste. This album is anythig but garbage. Here an idea music lover that will help you with your dilemma, take the Itunes and delete it or the cd and snap in half. There, feel better? Great...now go crank to your Justin Bieber video and leave this thread alone.

Llamas
07-17-2012, 12:32 PM
The fact that you think this album (DGB) is garbage speaks volumes about your musical taste. This album is anythig but garbage. Here an idea music lover that will help you with your dilemma, take the Itunes and delete it or the cd and snap in half. There, feel better? Great...now go crank to your Justin Bieber video and leave this thread alone.

I can't stand Scythe, but I'm so sick of people doing this, "Oh, you don't like the music I like? You must be a Justin Bieber fan." No. Just no. Also, while I like DGB, not liking it doesn't "speak volumes" about someone's taste. It's one album.

MOTO13
07-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Like I said, if he doesn't like the music, take the CD and snap in half...throw down a big hole and forget about it. Bitch session over.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-17-2012, 03:15 PM
There we go. Scythe presented his opinion in a thoughtful and non-dickish way, just like we asked. If this argument is still going to continue, I suggest everyone continues with that method. And Llamas is right. I know a lot of people who like completely different stuff than me but we share an equal hatred for Justin Beiber music.

Rooster
07-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Settings -> Edit Ignore List -> Add a Member to Your List... -> User Name: Scythe Death -> Okay -> Save Changes

Moving on...

Scythe Death
07-17-2012, 06:32 PM

1. If you don't know anything about music or logic, you're an idiot.

2. If you say that either someone listens to mainstream bubblegum pop punk or justin beiber, then either you're committing the logical fallacy of a false dichotomy or your knowledge in music is genuinely that narrow.

3. If you commit the logical fallacy of a false dichotomy, you don't know anything about logic.

4. If your knowledge in music is genuinely that narrow, then you don't know anything about music.

5. You say that either someone listens to mainstream bubblegum pop punk or Justin Beiber.

6. Either you're committing the logical fallacy of a false dichotomy or your knowledge in music is genuinely that narrow.

7... You don't know anything about music or logic. (A very improper modus ponens skipping many steps)

8. You're an idiot.

This reasoning is valid.

If you don't like people criticizing garbage for which you happen to have some sort of blind fanboyism, then break your computer in half and go live in the mountains by yourself where you pretend that everything you want to be true is true. Also, don't reply to me if you don't have anything intelligent to say. Also if you listen to music on itunes you're a huge cigarette.

I somehow missed the following replies.

Every song in Americana had the attributes and characteristics I described in previous posts. Not only are those attributes largely absent in this new Offspring release, but the "risks" it takes are inherently different from those of the eclectic Americana (which happens to be probably my favorite of theirs). In contrast to Americana, Days Go By rather takes the format of radio-friendly bubblegum pop-punk and ballads, while Americana was being exploratory.

Taking risks (like alienating your fans and not even making a competent pop song) does not equate quality. The end product is all that matters.

Ah, using the logical fallacy of smear tactics against people who like it to discredit an album. How I've missed this.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone trying to justify their opinion by saying people who disagreed with them don't know anything about music, I would be a very rich man. Lets look at the substance of your argument here, putting aside for a moment the other favourite logical fallacy of music listeners is music can be judged objectively like a science (it can't and isn't). You have provided no factual objective evidence here to prove why some songs on the album cannot be enjoyed by someone who is mentally able, musically literate, or Offspring savvy. Your entire argument is ad hominem.

It's not standing up very well to some light scrutiny. Would you like to try again mate?

Thank you.

Don't make me laugh. You're talking to a student of argumentation here.

An ad hominem is a fallacy when addressing an argument and claiming that a conclusion is not valid (which is a qualifier in deductive reasoning) from its premises given an irrelevant attack (which means that the argument is not discredited on its form, but it's discredited on premises outside of the form of the argument).

Firstly, no argument was given for me to respond to. Secondly, I did not make an argument. Thirdly, an argument can be developed to validly support my claim ('if you think that some tracks on this album are justifiable, you ...'). It's obvious that what's happening here is that you don't even understand what the word "argument" means in the first place, since you're considering it with the word "claim" or "proposition". Quite evidently, you don't understand logical fallacies either.

Also, again, what you little kids need to understand is that there is a very substantial difference between "subjective" and "arbitrary". If you don't understand how music critique can be viable and cogent, then I suggest you read yourself on some introductory philosophy of aesthetics and art.

If anyone here is being pretentious here, it's you, given that you like to pretend you can talk with proper logic terms, end up making ludicrously contrived posts, and fancy yourself as if you had just made a point. It's laughable.

GamerKT
07-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Don't make me laugh. You're talking to a student of argumentation here.

An ad hominem is a fallacy when addressing an argument and claiming that a conclusion is not valid (which is a qualifier in deductive reasoning) from its premises given an irrelevant attack...

8. You're an idiot.

10 characters.

Scythe Death
07-17-2012, 07:18 PM
10 characters.

Irrelevant to the form of an argument made by someone else. A fallacy is a form of invalid reasoning. My conclusion of my post "You're an idiot" was a valid one.

Christ, you guys need to get educations.

jacknife737
07-17-2012, 07:19 PM
You guys are way too harsh on Justin Bieber: he's punk as fuck. He makes Henry Rollins look like Donny Osmond.

GamerKT
07-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Irrelevant to the form of an argument made by someone else. A fallacy is a form of invalid reasoning. My conclusion of my post "You're an idiot" was a valid one.

Christ, you guys need to get educations.

You're a cunt. I'm just gonna put you on the ignore list.

Rooster
07-18-2012, 08:16 AM
You're a cunt. I'm just gonna put you on the ignore list.

Atta boy! I suggest everyone does this. Then he can post his opinions (which are, as you all know, the only thing that metters in this universe) all the way he wants. Nobody's gonna read it anyway.

Also, everyone stop quoting his posts. Although I can't see his posts anymore I can still read them when they are quoted, so please try to avoid that.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-18-2012, 10:14 AM
C'mon guys. Don't just put the guy on your ignore list over one little thing. Of course I haven't learned anything about logic in school (everything I know was learned in my free time), but everything Scythe has said seems valid to me. It's his presentation that is less than desirable. I really love this album, but Scythe has brought up claims that he can easily support that Days Go By is not a masterpiece. My love for the album has gone unaltered. I don't think being slightly rude and making decent points are a good reason to add someone to the ignore list

brothadave79
07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
C'mon guys. Don't just put the guy on your ignore list over one little thing. Of course I haven't learned anything about logic in school (everything I know was learned in my free time), but everything Scythe has said seems valid to me. It's his presentation that is less than desirable. I really love this album, but Scythe has brought up claims that he can easily support that Days Go By is not a masterpiece. My love for the album has gone unaltered. I don't think being slightly rude and making decent points are a good reason to add someone to the ignore list

Agreed. A "warts and all" appreciation for the album says more to me than absolutely loving everything no matter what. It's good to be able to weigh criticism and understand it and still have the same appreciation for the music, maybe even a deeper one. I think this is especially true for a band like the Offspring. It seems like a large percentage of members here have serious persecution complexes because of general criticisms about the band (e.g. threads about defending the band). Granted, I've mocked some of the reviewers that beat on the band, but that's because they were incontrovertible turds.

Llamas
07-18-2012, 11:16 AM
This isn't just one thing. Trust me, Scythe has always been a dick. And no, the things he said regarding logic are not valid.

Scythe Death
07-18-2012, 06:49 PM
This isn't just one thing. Trust me, Scythe has always been a dick. And no, the things he said regarding logic are not valid.

Uhh, wut?

How are they not valid? I'm assuming that you are saying that the argument that I provided about 'how person X is an idiot' is invalid, since that's the only explicit argument I provided which I claimed was valid. You see, the term "valid" is actually a very specific term that qualifies a successful deductive argument (in contrast to an inductive one). An argument is valid if it is impossible for the conclusion to be false and the premises to be true. Therefore, if you think that my argument was invalid, I invite you to elaborate on how it is possible for the conclusion to be false yet the premises to be true.

In logic, the term "sound" refers to an argument that is both valid and has a contingently true conclusion. If you'd like to argue that my argument is not sound (given that it's truly valid), then I invite you to say which of my premises you disagree.

Everything I've said about logic thus far is really true though. It's basic logic.

It could also be argued that my presentation all of the time is the little thing. IE, why does it matter if everything I say comes off as asshole-ish if everything I say is true (hypothetically)?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-19-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry Llamas. I like you a lot more but I'm still siding with this logic professor over here :D. I know I can't poke any holes in anything he said. Feel free to change my mind though.