PDA

View Full Version : Lessons To Learn

DMelges
06-21-2012, 02:50 PM
I think the release of Days Go By should teach us a lesson that somehow we still haven't managed to learn.

Don't judge too quickley. Once Days Go By and CC was released, everyone started losing faith in this album and the band was mortally crucified for CC. i think this album proves that we shouldn't judge so easily.

GamerKT
06-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Yes, I agree. Goddamn, this site can't handle us right now!

BagOfShenanigans
06-21-2012, 02:52 PM
I never doubted the album. The band could have released 5 horrible singles, and I would still have marched blindly into WalMart to purchase it on the 26th.

TheJakes84
06-21-2012, 02:53 PM
It's safe to say, that I wasn't close to judge the album nor the songs. I'm all about the stokedness!

KTILLA23
06-21-2012, 02:56 PM
I never doubted the album at all. I loved Days go by (the song) when i first heard it, and CC it grew on me pretty fast unlike other people, and call me crazy but i like CC.

Sara MZK
06-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Whilst I do think Days Go By was wrong as a single choice, that song has totally grown on me, and now I really like it! CC well... yes, I'll admit I did fear the worst for the album when I heard that song, but as soon as I heard the live version of The Future Is Now (despite all the live versions I heard being low quality), my high hopes for the album were restored. But even I wasn't expecting the album to start so, so well! 5 killers right off the bat... can't ask for more than that! :)

Oh, and yes the site does seem to be having trouble coping with the overload of people accessing it... hopefully that's the problem ironed out now. lol :(

Llamas
06-21-2012, 03:08 PM
I think the release of Days Go By should teach us a lesson that somehow we still haven't managed to learn.

Don't judge too quickley. Once Days Go By and CC was released, everyone started losing faith in this album and the band was mortally crucified for CC. i think this album proves that we shouldn't judge so easily.

I disagree. Unless judgment caused someone to not check out the album based on crappy singles (which would be lame), I see no harm. Actually having very low expectations caused me to enjoy this album more than I could've. Oftentimes, having high expectations can cause disappointment. I see no problem with having logical expectations based on the evidence before you.

Sara MZK
06-21-2012, 03:23 PM
I disagree. Unless judgment caused someone to not check out the album based on crappy singles (which would be lame), I see no harm. Actually having very low expectations caused me to enjoy this album more than I could've. Oftentimes, having high expectations can cause disappointment. I see no problem with having logical expectations based on the evidence before you.

Couldn't agree more! I don't think having low expectations is necessarily a bad thing, especially if you're actually basing it on something concrete. (like a previously poor album, or as in this case, a really bad lead off single like CC) I did suspect that CC would be the worst song on the album, and fortunately, I was proved right. Having low expectations just made me love the great songs on the album all the more. :)

SeanAshmore
06-21-2012, 03:50 PM
I liked CC and DGB instantly (more so DGB) and the fact that CC is probably the weakest song on the album in terms of being a well written song is actually really impressive. If you are only as strong as your weakest link then this album is the Hulk :p

Britpunk
06-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah i dunno if there's 'lessons to learn' here, but then i loved CC

I disliked the song DGB in itself, but it is growing on me in the context of the album, but then i didn't draw any album conclusions based upon the strength (or locally perceived lack thereof) of that particular song.

DMelges
06-21-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm not saying everyone lost faith in the album and that the suprise factor isn't welcome, I'm just remembering how negative the response to CC was, and how everyone, not just us, suddenly started bashing the band. I remember posts that pretty much sayed "ok, i give up on this band, seeya".

I always knew the band would bring good songs no matter what, but I was truely blown away!

DMelges
06-21-2012, 05:03 PM

And just to answer you, yes alot of people don't check out albums due to the first thing they hear. I read countless posts on the internet saying that this band sucks and are doomed and etc, all because of one song.

Britpunk
06-21-2012, 05:11 PM
And just to answer you, yes alot of people don't check out albums due to the first thing they hear. I read countless posts on the internet saying that this band sucks and are doomed and etc, all because of one song.

superficial assholes who weren't gonna buy it anyway. it's cool to hate.

I'm just happy it got peoples' attention. Pretty Fly got peoples' attention and a lot of them stuck around. Some are even quite nice :)

Puschka
06-21-2012, 05:21 PM

Amen! And I do like Days Go By and CC

Chainsaw
06-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Yeah, well if there's a lesson to be learned here (read: 5 albums ago), it's that Offspring's singles are never a good represantation of their albums.

Supa
06-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Do you mean Ixnay? The Meaning Of Life, Gone Away, I Choose, and All I Want are all good songs.

Defender
06-21-2012, 11:38 PM
I agree that nobody should judge the album by one song but the expectations don't count for me. If the album is good ...It's good. And if it is bad... it's bad. For example, when I heard "RAFRAG" my expectations were low and remained that way. It's a great album(first half kicks ass) but I don't put it in a high position on my ranking list. On the other hand I had high hopes for "Smash" and it didn't refute me(It's number one for me).

Rooster
06-22-2012, 03:24 AM

Remember when I said this a while ago (probably in the thread about Cruising California), I said that the album's sub-par singles just make your expectations lower (unintentionally) and then when the album comes out BOOM! This is exactly what thappened here, unlike RAFRAG, which had great singles and the effect was exactly opposite.

I'm so glad I was right this time :)

ad8
06-22-2012, 09:20 AM
I agree. Days Go By and Cruising California have not given a very accurate picture of the album, even though I am totally ok with that. I like the fact that they have released a really diverse album with different songs that are not replaceable with each other. Also, I liked this better than RAFRAG's singles/album contrast, where it was rather the other way around, imo.