PDA

View Full Version : Song progression on DGB

TeddyBear_Army
06-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Has anybody noticed that the album progression is quite peculiar?

We've got four songs that flow into each other and make sense together (TFIN + SFTU lyrically and /0 + SPDTRTARTBTH both lyrically and musically) and there's what I call the "Bumpin In My Trunk" case.
You see, the way the album's structured, I think Cruisin' California works both as an intermission and a warning.
The album starts with two "sister songs" and flows pretty much uninterruptedly until Hurting As One (a very, very hardcore Offspring song that harkens to their SMASH days) finishes and CC starts. It's almost as if CC's function is to warn us that "Here Be Experiments". After CC, itself a very different song, we've got 2 more very different/experimental songs. When OC Guns finishes, Dirty Magic '12 kicks in with its kickass new sound, taking us for a nostalgic and exciting new ride at the same time. I think Dirty Magic '12 is the epitome of this new album, and pretty much sums up what DGB is: an awesome new sound that mixes old and new, but still feels pretty much like The Offspring. After DM, there is a pop gem called I Wanna Secret Family With You, which ambushes you and leaves you with your guard down, and when you least expect it a punk rock salvo starts and finishes this masterpiece. /0 and SPDTRTARTBTH (which can only be listened together, in my opinion) reinforce this theory, as /0 is one of the most hardcore offspring songs in a loooong time (some may say it even fits in their first album), while SPDTRTARTBTH is a mix of new and old that can't really fit in any other album, but so fittingly captures the spirit of this new album.

All in all, I'm still in awe with the new album. I still can't rank it, but it came out much better than I had ever expected. The songs are expertly paced and numbered, and it is their tightest album in this respect since Americana. I just don't think the title of this album fits in with its songs. Days may have gone by, but The Offspring is still as relevant as ever, as this awesome album proves. I think this album shoud've been named DANCE AROUND THE FIRE, with a cover reminiscent of Ignition. That would've been perfect, in my opinion. Either that or Dance Fucker, Dance Fucker, MOTHERFUCKER BURN! (Best finishing line in an album EVER.)

Britpunk
06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
its just perceptions. You call secret family a pop gem. I think it has heavy shades of Paul Simon. While I do not think this is a bad thing at all, somebody else would. If Secret Family was the 1st track after CC, would you feel different about the whole 'warning' thing, or different about secret family?

Just sounds like you're letting (what I perceive to be) a distate on your part for CC, AIHL, and OCG become something more meaningful - like they meant people to not like those songs...

TeddyBear_Army
06-21-2012, 07:37 PM
its just perceptions. You call secret family a pop gem. I think it has heavy shades of Paul Simon. While I do not think this is a bad thing at all, somebody else would. If Secret Family was the 1st track after CC, would you feel different about the whole 'warning' thing, or different about secret family?

Just sounds like you're letting (what I perceive to be) a distate on your part for CC, AIHL, and OCG become something more meaningful - like they meant people to not like those songs...

no no no. I love them, really. I've been a CC fan since day one and AIHLIY fits right into my taste (I love offspring slow songs), and I find OC Guns to be a pretty funny version of Guns Of Brixton. So yeah, I love'em all. Sorry if it read otherwise.

Britpunk
06-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Nah my bad I misread. The word 'warning' is loaded though.

TeddyBear_Army
06-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Nah my bad I misread. The word 'warning' is loaded though.

But I really think that's the intention. that whole block of songs (a fourth of the album) is full of different songs. I think they put all the hardcore/fan favourites before and after this block on purpose.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Basically, punk songs at the beginning and end with departures in the middle. Nothing peculiar about that at all. In fact it's pretty much Track Ordering 101. Almost every band sticks their biggest departures somewhere in the middle of their albums. This album's departures are just a little more extreme than most.