PDA

View Full Version : Fix You vs All I Have Left Is You

disclaimer_07
06-21-2012, 06:47 PM
aka Fix You 2.0

So did the new song live up to the legacy of the old one?

effreyj
06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
I really like Fix You, but I'm not that big a fan of AIHLIY. It has more of a pop-boy band sound to it, especially the music and vocals at the beginning. I've always thought Fix You is well done and not over the top or cheesy.

TeddyBear_Army
06-21-2012, 06:51 PM
they do not sound alike at all. Yes, they're both slow songs, but they do not share any kind of musical similarities beside that. Maybe Denial Revisited vs. AIHLIY is a better fit.

TheJakes84
06-21-2012, 06:53 PM
All I Have Left Is You is such a sweet and nice song but Fix You beholds a soft-spot in my heart.

Unnatural Disaster
06-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't really like Fix You, but I love All I Have Left Is You

Hairlip
06-21-2012, 08:33 PM
vocals of AIHLIY remind me of Mark Wahlberg in Rock Star singing We all die young by Steel Dragon. I love both Offspring songs... Fix You did not fill out and rock as hard as this new slow offering does. This CD is awesome!

XYlophonetreeZ
06-21-2012, 09:45 PM
They're both slow, and they both contain the words "all intertwined." The similarities stop there.

And AIHLIY is way better.

disclaimer_07
06-22-2012, 04:10 AM
It does bear some resemblance to Fix You. The style and even the lyrics "all intertwined, wrap around me now with the thorns" ("and me the sharpest thorn of your vine, twisting and turning we're all intertwined").

F@ BANKZ
06-22-2012, 04:29 AM
atm fix you which i liked straigh away but i havent really given aihliu time to warm. abstaining from voting for the moment.

Count Orlok
06-22-2012, 04:34 AM
they do not sound alike at all. Yes, they're both slow songs, but they do not share any kind of musical similarities beside that. Maybe Denial Revisited vs. AIHLIY is a better fit.

Agreed. But between Denial & All I Have Left I'd have a harder time to pick a favourite, both great songs imo.

Llamas
06-22-2012, 06:57 AM

They're both slow, and they both contain the words "all intertwined." The similarities stop there.

And AIHLIY is way better.

Both of these are so very true. If All I Have is the new installment of Fix You, then Slim Pickens is the new installment of You're Gonna Go Far, Kid (dance fucker dance, along with fast, upbeat, kinda poppy rock).

If I'm comparing these two songs in terms of taste, though, I like All I Have but I don't really like Fix You. All I Have is a much better-written song, with more structure, layers, and musicality.

Degstur Lolland
06-22-2012, 10:13 PM
aihliu
I like that. I thought no one would use it like that so I always used y. aihliu is easier for me.

The song is a hybrid or a sum of Fix You and Denial, Revisited. Just like CC is a sum of PF and OP, maybe even Hit That or YGGFK.

NoGuessing
06-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Love both songs, but I love All I Have Left Is You more.

dorkrockcorkrod
06-22-2012, 10:43 PM
I don't really like Fix You, but I love All I Have Left Is You

^This. Not a fan of Fix You personally, but I do quite like All I Have Left is You.

Sara MZK
06-22-2012, 11:51 PM
It's been a long time since I've heard "Fix You", as it's a song I never really listened to that much from RAFRAG... I'll listen to them both back to back and then give my answer. lol

"A Lot Like Me" is better than both songs though...

Rooster
06-23-2012, 01:28 AM
I really, really didn't expect to like All I Have Left Is You. But I love it. I still dislike Fix You.

When the solo comes in in AIHLIY... God that part is perfect, no other way to say it :)

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 02:38 AM
Just listened to both back to back, and now I remember exactly why I've barely listened to Fix You. :p AIHLIY is by far the better song. Fix You is dull, stays almost the exact same the whole way through, and has no hooks to speak of. AIHLIY is a far more dynamic song, has a great chorus, and a great solo too. Much more memorable, and just overall a better song in every way. I still don't like it as much as A Lot Like Me, but it blows Fix You out of the water easily!

randman21
06-23-2012, 03:16 AM
atm fix you which i liked straigh away but i havent really given aihliu time to warm. abstaining from voting for the moment.

This is exactly what I should be saying, because I like both songs. But Fix You hit me way harder on the first listen, and I've already started skipping All I Have Left is You (although mostly because of time restraints).

D0NT
06-23-2012, 05:18 AM
both are pretty , touchy ,feely, deep meaning , and nice message songs.

I prefer All I Have Left is You, but still dont dislike Fix You.

Sound of AIHLIY reminds me of Jack's Mannequin or something their lead singer would've done.

I havent read the lyrics but Im certain that at least some of it are really positive, seems like a nice song to sing to a girlfriend.

brothadave79
06-23-2012, 05:33 AM

And "thorns!" THORNS!

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-23-2012, 11:19 AM
I prefer AIHLIY

vionline
06-23-2012, 11:23 AM
New fans love both!!!

Mechagodzilla2
06-23-2012, 06:27 PM
I pick Fix You. Firstly, because it's such a classic, and second, it's not right to talk about DGB before it's released.

Jason_Voorhees
06-23-2012, 11:11 PM
I'd take All I Have Left Is You over Fix You.

I never really cared that much for Fix You...
All I Have Left Is You caught my attention immediately...

Thomas
06-23-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm definitely going to say Fix You, at least for the time being. I dunno, I just feel like I can relate to that one a lot more, I suppose.

Also, I feel like I liked RafRag in relation to the rest of their albums a lot more than the vast majority of the rest of the BBS, so that might be part of it.

Sara MZK
06-24-2012, 02:17 AM
and second, it's not right to talk about DGB before it's released.

Even though Rolling Stone has been legally and officially streaming the whole album with the permission of the band and their record company?

vionline
06-24-2012, 06:46 AM
I dont know which one is the worst...
the worst offsprings songs are in these last 3 cds.. (Splinter, RAFRAG e DGB)

Mechagodzilla2
06-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Even though Rolling Stone has been legally and officially streaming the whole album with the permission of the band and their record company?

Remember the recent bans? Some of those members were banned for discussing the album before it's released. So if you don't want the moderators to ban us like they did to the others, we should stop talking about this.

Thomas
06-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Remember the recent bans? Some of those members were banned for discussing the album before it's released. So if you don't want the moderators to ban us like they did to the others, we should stop talking about this.

What planet are you living on? This entire section of the BBS is talking about the new album...

Camila
06-24-2012, 09:28 AM
aihliu looks (sounds) hawaiian to me... Probably a subliminal message that the guys are going to retire and live in Hawaii...

Ok, that was stupid hahaahaha

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 11:52 AM
They were banned for discussing links to album leaks and places to illegally download the album (which obviously don't exist, pshhh ;)). Everyone's been talking about the new album and that's perfectly okay.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

Mechagodzilla2
06-24-2012, 01:05 PM
They were banned for discussing links to album leaks and places to illegally download the album (which obviously don't exist, pshhh ;)). Everyone's been talking about the new album and that's perfectly okay.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

Actually illegal downloads were rampant.
Also, I'm ok with the legal way of listening to it, I just don't think it's right to discuss it before the real release.

As for the planet 'Thomas' was talking about, I am pleased to say that I am a proud resident of a planet called Earth.

TheJakes84
06-24-2012, 01:06 PM
aihliu looks (sounds) hawaiian to me... Probably a subliminal message that the guys are going to retire and live in Hawaii...

Ok, that was stupid hahaahaha

pssst... bob rock lives in hawaii. :D

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 01:12 PM

I was being sarcastic. By saying they don't exist, I was refusing to discuss something we're not allowed to discuss, in a sense.

It's all a conspiracy!!

XYlophonetreeZ
06-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Also, I'm ok with the legal way of listening to it, I just don't think it's right to discuss it before the real release.
Good point, you should probably crusade to change the behavior of a message board that you just joined where essentially no one else has a problem with it.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 01:16 PM
EDIT: This post was rude and lame. Shame on me.

Mechagodzilla2
06-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Me thinks Mechagodzilla iz tryin' to maek us feeel inferior by talkin' all fancy and stuff.

I wasn't being fancy, I was just stating my beliefs.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 01:29 PM
I wasn't being fancy, I was just stating my beliefs.
I was just joking. You just appear to be a little tightly-wound or something. Blocks of text are rather impersonal though, so I can't actually judge.

This sentence is what made me get an odd vibe from you:

As for the planet 'Thomas' was talking about, I am pleased to say that I am a proud resident of a planet called Earth.

It doesn't even include a vast vocabulary or anything, it just struck me as odd.

Mechagodzilla2
06-24-2012, 01:43 PM
I was just joking. You just appear to be a little tightly-wound or something. Blocks of text are rather impersonal though, so I can't actually judge.

This sentence is what made me get an odd vibe from you:

It doesn't even include a vast vocabulary or anything, it just struck me as odd.

I can't help it that Thomas couldn't figure out what planet I was on. His question sounded a bit elementary to me.

danitanev
06-25-2012, 06:59 AM
These two songs sound too different I think to be compared to each other and I choose All I Have Left Is You just because it's from the last album, but I think Fix You is fine too!

Mechagodzilla2
06-25-2012, 07:08 AM
These two songs sound too different I think to be compared to each other and I choose All I Have Left Is You just because it's from the last album, but I think Fix You is fine too!

Which one do you prefer regardless of how new it is?

Llamas
06-25-2012, 07:43 AM

The album was released several days ago in many parts of the world. So a lot of members here already own the album. You think the mods are gonna figure out who lives where so they can ban the ones who live where it hasn't been released? Think a little before you speak.

Mechagodzilla2
06-25-2012, 09:24 AM
The album was released several days ago in many parts of the world. So a lot of members here already own the album. You think the mods are gonna figure out who lives where so they can ban the ones who live where it hasn't been released? Think a little before you speak.

You'll still regret it once you listen to the new album and have no surprise of what it sounds like. Once it comes time for the next album (if there's one) you'll become a non listener. And no, if some users live in a place where the album hasn't been released yet, then they shouldn't talk about it.

Llamas
06-25-2012, 09:34 AM
You'll still regret it once you listen to the new album and have no surprise of what it sounds like. Once it comes time for the next album (if there's one) you'll become a non listener. And no, if some users live in a place where the album hasn't been released yet, then they shouldn't talk about it.

When I listened to the stream for the first time, my surprise came. No difference in waiting a few days for that surprise. I enjoyed listening to the album for the first time regardless. And how are you so sure? I was a non-listener for Splinter, but for RFRG and this one, I listened once I was able to. No regrets.

brothadave79
06-25-2012, 09:36 AM
When I listened to the stream for the first time, my surprise came. No difference in waiting a few days for that surprise. I enjoyed listening to the album for the first time regardless. And how are you so sure? I was a non-listener for Splinter, but for RFRG and this one, I listened once I was able to. No regrets.

This. This. Every word. 100%. Ditto. Etc.

Mechagodzilla2
06-25-2012, 09:43 AM

What happened to you since the Splinter days? I'm sure you enjoyed that album more because you didn't already know what to expect. Anyway, if sneaks are what the people want, then why would they release the REAL album?

brothadave79
06-25-2012, 09:47 AM
What happened to you since the Splinter days? I'm sure you enjoyed that album more because you didn't already know what to expect. Anyway, if sneaks are what the people want, then why would they release the REAL album?

Abstinence-only album listening doesn't work.

Mechagodzilla2
06-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Some day you'll learn.

Llamas
06-25-2012, 10:04 AM

I don't even understand your perspective. Listening to an album is listening to an album, no matter when you listen to it. What happened to me since then? Before Splinter, you couldn't listen online first very easily. I thought that it was better to wait til the album came out. Splinter was actually the album that kinda ruined the Offspring for me (they became no-longer-my-favorite-band with that album), and it didn't matter that I waited til I had the physical CD in my hands.

Why do they release an album instead of just streaming it online? Because then people can own something, they can have the artwork, and they can listen to it without having the internet. A stream before release is so people can listen before buying. I never buy an album without hearing it first anymore.

By the way, it's not a "sneak" (you probably mean "leak") when the band and the label release a stream online.

brothadave79
06-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Some day you'll learn.

No, I really won't. I bought Conspiracy and Splinter when they came out, and they were cool to listen to. When RAFRAG debuted on Imeem I listened to it there, and the feeling was exactly the same - awesome. This time was no different. I already pre-ordered the album too, so I don't see what you find so "sneaky" about listening to a stream authorized by the band.

And along the way I listened to every song as soon as it became available online, whether streamed by the band in full quality or shitty youtube versions of live tracks. Neither of these end up online by accident. When the band plays a new track live, they know full well it will end up on youtube. They've said so in interviews that they know they're debuting tracks "to the world" when they play them live for the first time.

If the appeal for you is some sort of smug, self-denial thing, then do your own thing. But it doesn't make you more of "a fan," and it certainly doesn't give you any reason to pass judgment on anyone else on the boards for failing to live up to some ill-reasoned ethical code for listening to music.

Mechagodzilla2
06-25-2012, 10:43 AM
No, I really won't. I bought Conspiracy and Splinter when they came out, and they were cool to listen to. When RAFRAG debuted on Imeem I listened to it there, and the feeling was exactly the same - awesome. This time was no different. I already pre-ordered the album too, so I don't see what you find so "sneaky" about listening to a stream authorized by the band.

And along the way I listened to every song as soon as it became available online, whether streamed by the band in full quality or shitty youtube versions of live tracks. Neither of these end up online by accident. When the band plays a new track live, they know full well it will end up on youtube. They've said so in interviews that they know they're debuting tracks "to the world" when they play them live for the first time.

If the appeal for you is some sort of smug, self-denial thing, then do your own thing. But it doesn't make you more of "a fan," and it certainly doesn't give you any reason to pass judgment on anyone else on the boards for failing to live up to some ill-reasoned ethical code for listening to music.

You will, wait and see.
How about we talk about what this thread was meant for rather than argue like a bunch of trolls.

commonrider5447
06-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Fix You is fine but AIHLIY is really good I love that track, I wouldnt skip Fix You before but I wouldnt go to it to listen to like with AIHLIY.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
This is a humorous undeniable fact.

Unnatural Disaster
06-25-2012, 12:45 PM

The only Offspring album I ever bought without hearing ANY of the songs first was Ignition. I love that album, but I also love all the ones that I heard a few songs on first, and ones like Splinter, RAFRAG, and DGB in which I heard all the songs on them before buying them. There really is no difference between listening to the album on June 19, or June 26.

Sara MZK
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
There really is no difference between listening to the album on June 19, or June 26.

Completely agreed. I don't see how the date when you listen to an album makes an impact on how much you like or dislike it. It's something that should make no difference at all.

Dulce
12-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Voted 4 All I Have Left Is You. The song itself has a natural/emotional feeling of a strong bond between The 2 lovers in a relationship. :)

Tiny Vessels
12-01-2012, 09:55 AM
All I Have Left Is You.

cool 2 hate 681
12-01-2012, 01:16 PM
im not sure which one i like better :confused:

Gustavo
12-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Thread closed for necromancy.