PDA

View Full Version : Ron Welty's Whereabouts

offspringiztheshit
06-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know what Ron is doing? is it in music? is he in a band? i can't find anything on the inter-web. he's a pretty big influence of mine as far as a drummer so i was just wondering.

TheJakes84
06-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Ron Welty is in a band called Steady Ground. I do miss him being in The Offspring but I guess whatever floats his boat. Drummers = HOT!!!

RedFox
06-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Search in google, no here..

jacknife737
06-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Steady Ground is more or less defunct now, no?

0r4ng3
06-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Wikipedia says Steady Ground broke up in 2007. So it's anyone's guess at this point.

TheJakes84
06-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Oh, in that case, I seem not to know anymore. I wish him nothing but the best in life. :) Why did he left the band though? The money. :(

cool 2 hate 681
06-21-2012, 10:56 PM
ron was managing a band called a new vice who put out a cd on his label band aid on a bullet records in 2009 unfortunately a new vice broke up so i don't know what he is doing nowadays

killboybowerhead
06-22-2012, 12:23 AM
he's retired.

Jojan
06-22-2012, 04:16 AM
he's retired.

http://www.boredville.com/images_obj/2009/07/16/orig_526551080.jpg

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-23-2012, 10:09 AM
http://www.boredville.com/images_obj/2009/07/16/orig_526551080.jpg

That's just depressing.

D0NT
06-23-2012, 11:04 AM
I dont know, I just know he left the guys to make his own thing that was supposed to be better than Offspring ( he said they will not be any "Cowbells" in his songs) then he changed the singer of his band to a guy that imitate Dexter's voice to an anoying level. Pretty stupid if you ask me, I like to assume they wrote "Youre gonna go far kid" for Ron , with an ironic meaning.

Still he was the greatest drummer they ever had.

TeddyBear_Army
06-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Hmmm... really? I don't know, man... the most creative drumming the offspring has ever had has nothing to do with Ron. S/T has some ass kicking drums but most songs had already been composed with Lilja when Ron came in, and the last two albums have incredible drumming 'cause of Josh and Pete. I think that Ron, even if his drumming is/was as tight as a swedish clock, is the least technically favored drummer The Offspring has ever had. Atom had more energy than him and Pete has more charisma and kicks more ass in general. Still, I agree that the "classic" Offspring line-up will always include Ron.

Marco
06-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Hmmm... really? I don't know, man... the most creative drumming the offspring has ever had has nothing to do with Ron. S/T has some ass kicking drums but most songs had already been composed with Lilja when Ron came in, and the last two albums have incredible drumming 'cause of Josh and Pete. I think that Ron, even if his drumming is/was as tight as a swedish clock, is the least technically favored drummer The Offspring has ever had. Atom had more energy than him and Pete has more charisma and kicks more ass in general. Still, I agree that the "classic" Offspring line-up will always include Ron.

I agree with every single word you wrote!

Supa
06-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I dont know, I just know he left the guys to make his own thing that was supposed to be better than Offspring ( he said they will not be any "Cowbells" in his songs) then he changed the singer of his band to a guy that imitate Dexter's voice to an anoying level. Pretty stupid if you ask me, I like to assume they wrote "Youre gonna go far kid" for Ron , with an ironic meaning.

No cowbell? Was he talking about Spare Me The Details? I wonder how many Splinter songs they had written with him in mind before he left.

Llamas
06-23-2012, 05:14 PM

Amen, brother. Was listening to the drumming on ST the other day, and thought Lilja really wrote some of the best drum parts this band ever did.

And Pete I think improved on Dirty Magic's drumming. It's mostly the same (I assume they didn't wanna change it too much), but he did enough that I noticed it and appreciate it.

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Josh Freese is definitely the most technically gifted drummer ever to have drummed for The Offspring, although he's never been a full member, as he's only been a session drummer on their albums. As Teddybear said, Ron Welty will always be a member of their "classic lineup", and that will never change. And those of us who are longtime Offspring fans will always hold a special place for Ron in our hearts. I have no idea what really drove Ron to leave the band, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has pangs of regrets about doing that now.

In any case, Atom (who I saw live with The Offspring and he was awesome!) and Pete have done a great job behind the kit since he left. I still haven't seen a gig in person where Pete has been the drummer, but hopefully that will be rectified soon. But even in live videos, I can tell that he is a great drummer. Probably better than Ron too, at least from a technical standpoint. :)

Llamas
06-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes to everyone here who's praised Josh Freese. He's definitely one of the best modern rock drummers out there. The Offspring would be some lucky bastards if they could get him to be a full-time member of the band, but the dude's just got his hands in way too many projects as it is. And I'm a fan of Pete - if they can't have Josh, Pete's who I want :)

cool 2 hate 681
06-23-2012, 05:27 PM
i would rather see pete then josh i hope on the next album pete can record drums on all of it

_Lost_
06-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Pete is more fun to watch than the rest of the band. That is just how it is. Not to mention he is an excellent drummer.

I was never Ron Welty's fan. He is boring, watching him play is boring, and his overly simple time keeping was just not nearly as good as Pete and Josh's more imaginative take on things.

Also, most bands go through more than one drummer, with the rare exception of Tre Cool and Travis Barker, who pretty much carry the music they play. I get the feeling it often comes from a lack of influence in how the songs and such are written, but who knows what disagreement lead to their split.

In the end, I doubt we ever hear much from Ron again. Go ahead and remind me later if I'm wrong, but how often do you see much out of musicians that quit famous bands?

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 05:34 PM
I was a fan of Josh's drumming long before he drummed for The Offspring. hehe I was first exposed to his drumming on Suicidal Tendencies' "Art Of Rebellion" album, and from that moment on, I've been a fan! The Offspring certainly would be a lucky band if they could aqquire him on a full time basis, and I'll admit, I'm a bit sad that didn't happen, although I'd have been surprised if it had! lol

Pete has certainly proven himself more than worthy of The Offspring drum-stool, and I love watching and hearing him play. :)

Llamas
06-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Pete is more fun to watch than the rest of the band. That is just how it is. Not to mention he is an excellent drummer.

I was never Ron Welty's fan. He is boring, watching him play is boring, and his overly simple time keeping was just not nearly as good as Pete and Josh's more imaginative take on things.

The only reason I liked Ron was cause he was an "original" member (even though Lilja really was, Ron was the drummer for most of their career and throughout their success). I was sad when he left; I wanted him back. But now, I'm long over him. Pete is great. He's a way better drummer than Ron was, and he's got way more energy and is so much more exciting. Plus he seems like a nicer guy (Ron always struck me as kinda arrogant for some reason... not very approachable, though I've never met any members of the band).

Llamas
06-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I was a fan of Josh's drumming long before he drummed for The Offspring. hehe I was first exposed to his drumming on Suicidal Tendencies' "Art Of Rebellion" album, and from that moment on, I've been a fan! The Offspring certainly would be a lucky band if they could aqquire him on a full time basis, and I'll admit, I'm a bit sad that didn't happen, although I'd have been surprised if it had! lol
I've also been a fan of Josh's drumming long before The Offspring :) I met his dad once; his dad was like, "my son plays for a little band... you might've heard of them... they're called Nine Inch Nails" and went on to talk about when he and is son used to play for the Vandals (his dad's a tuba player). I met him cause he went to my university years ago and played tuba in our marching band - so he came back to help us (the marching band) with something a few years ago. He was an AWESOME guy, and I only wish his son had been there, too!!!

Pete has certainly proven himself more than worthy of The Offspring drum-stool, and I love watching and hearing him play. :)
Right on.

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 05:47 PM
I definitely don't think Ron was a "boring" drummer... he did the simple things well, and was a great time keeper. I'm with ilovellamas though, in that I initially did miss Ron a lot and wanted him to return to the band. And I'll admit, I felt that way for a few years, even when Atom Willard was in the band. Hearing Josh's drumming on the albums though and especially Pete joining the band gradually made me stop wishing for Ron to come back, and I'd be happy now if Pete remained The Offspring's drummer for the rest of their career. He's definitely got a great charisma and energy, and has worked his way into my heart. :)

Degstur Lolland
06-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Amen, brother. Was listening to the drumming on ST the other day, and thought Lilja really wrote some of the best drum parts this band ever did.
Which songs did he do? I'll be waiting/Blackball single. He is only credited with Beheaded on S/T, lyrics I guess. Then, there are those old live videos with him.

cool 2 hate 681
06-23-2012, 06:01 PM
The only reason I liked Ron was cause he was an "original" member (even though Lilja really was, Ron was the drummer for most of their career and throughout their success). I was sad when he left; I wanted him back. But now, I'm long over him. Pete is great. He's a way better drummer than Ron was, and he's got way more energy and is so much more exciting. Plus he seems like a nicer guy (Ron always struck me as kinda arrogant for some reason... not very approachable, though I've never met any members of the band).

i still miss ron and he never struck me as arrogant he was kinda like the equal to greg k dexter and noodles did the crowd interaction and greg and ron just stood back and did their thing i will admit it is more fun to watch atom or pete

also i met pete he signed my rafrag cd and is a really nice guy:)

TeddyBear_Army
06-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Which songs did he do? I'll be waiting/Blackball single. He is only credited with Beheaded on S/T, lyrics I guess. Then, there are those old live videos with him.

he did almost every single song. just remember that most songs had already been played/recorded prior to the S/T sessions, and Ron came in when Lilja had already been playing them for years.

Ron also kinda struck me with that arrongant thing too. He never seemed into the gig when he was playing... which is kinda weird if you ask me. Greg always seems pretty serious when playing live, but he's got a motherfucking huge charisma and a kickass dance. We've even seen him jump once or twice, right? :p

Sometimes I think that drum solo in Long Way Home is a huge "fuck you Ron" from the guys... They had never had any drum solo in their songs, and then all of a sudden -BOOOOM- a larger than life drum solo after Ron's left.
Splinter was an album written at a turbulent time and it shows (it's my least favorite one), so I think this drum solo kinda reflects that. Dunno. Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

Supa
06-23-2012, 07:36 PM
drum-stool

throne*

And from what little I've seen of Atom with the band, he was VERY energetic and fun to watch and play with. Seemed to fit in well. Pete is the same way, but Atom seems slightly more into it.

Josh is probably the best and most seasoned, and recorded great stuff. Ron was ok as well, but his drumming was never really...enough for me, energy wise.

_Lost_
06-23-2012, 07:41 PM
I get the arrogant thing from him, too, and he definitely seemed bored ALLLL the time. Like he had been going through the motions and nothing more, for years. Dexter goes through periods of looking like that sometimes, imo.

Greg may not do a whole lot on stage, but he doesn't ever look bored. He is like rolling thunder and everyone here recognizes that and envies his massive schlong. Who needs to smile when they have a massive schlong?

_Lost_
06-23-2012, 07:46 PM
And from what little I've seen of Atom with the band, he was VERY energetic and fun to watch and play with. Seemed to fit in well. Pete is the same way, but Atom seems slightly more into it.

I disagree. I've seen both of them play with the Offspring. Atom certainly has a lot of energy and he plays with his whole body, but Pete just draws your attention to him. Its in his face. He gets this look when he is playing that tells you he is doing his favorite thing in the world and loves every minute of it. He totally steals the show from Noodles, which we all know can be quite a feat.

whoops, double post...

XYlophonetreeZ
06-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Ron was quiet, like Greg. How does that make him arrogant?

I went on the Steady Ground boards when they were starting up, and Ron was actually pretty active there and seemed like a perfectly nice dude. Understandably, he preferred answering questions about his new project to answering questions about the Offspring, but he did anyway from time to time. If I remember, he didn't go into detail but said that leaving the band was a rough time for all, and he never said anything remotely negative about his time in the band. I even remember someone asked him if he was going to remove his Offspring skull tattoo, and he simply responded "Why would I do that?" He also expressed regret about never posting on the old Offspring message boards.

As for his drumming, I've never seen the band live but the only place I've ever had a problem with it on the albums is in Staring at the Sun- not nearly crisp enough. He plays some creative parts on their first two albums, and on Conspiracy really improved in making them sound more powerful. That being said, Josh's drums sounded even better on the next two albums and I know Ron doesn't have nearly the reputation as a drummer as Josh or Pete.

Hey Man Where's Everybody
06-23-2012, 08:53 PM
The best drummer who's ever played with The Offspring is definitely Josh Freese. There's just no question. The man is a monster on the drums, combining power and precision like Topper Headon during the "Give 'Em Enough Rope" period. It's a shame the band never got him behind the kit for a live show (did they?).

Second is Atom Willard, for sheer energy and enthusiasm, as well as the ability to reproduce Josh Freese's drum parts live.

Third, I'm gonna say Ron. Say what you will about his stage demeanor (he seemed pretty stoic and reserved, but not any more than Greg) but he was a veritable human metronome, manning a tight and economical rhythm section that never let up. It's no coincidence that he was the drummer who spent the longest time with the band-- all those years of bashing away at the kit allowed him to perfect a very specific playing style that worked wonderfully with the music they made between 1992 and 2000.

Pete is a good drummer, but I find his hitting a little loose, his bass drum a little sloppy and his cymbal work facile. He bashes out quarter measures instead of eights, which is understandable and helps with stamina, except the band isn't playing much longer shows than they were while Ron was around. He still has time to prove himself, but right now I'm going to say he's by far my least favorite drummer the band has had.

TeddyBear_Army
06-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Peter's my fav, by far. I just love the little man.

weezly
06-23-2012, 09:50 PM
pete fur den sieg!!!

Dexter_italy
06-24-2012, 01:46 AM
I think we can't compare josh with Pete or Atom, not because he's better, but only because he just played in studio, never live. He's definetely a huge drummer but we never saw him playing live. Pete is just SICK. Even Atom played 4th notes and not 8th and maybe added more "scene" but I think Pete sounds way better!
I think that aso the bad in the end like him the most, they let him show his personality, like the end in gone away, the intro in want you bad, and other fills he adds in some songs.
Long life to THE drummer :D

06-24-2012, 02:37 AM
I think we can't compare josh with Pete or Atom, not because he's better, but only because he just played in studio, never live. He's definetely a huge drummer but we never saw him playing live.

I've seen Josh live a number of times with a couple different bands and I can say without a moment's hesitation that he's a better drummer than either Pete or Atom.

Pete is a little sloppy. No shame in that. Punk rock is supposed to be a little sloppy.

RonWelty
06-24-2012, 02:38 AM
I've seen Josh live a number of times with a couple different bands and I can say without a moment's hesitation that he's a better drummer than either Pete or Atom.

Pete is a little sloppy. No shame in that. Punk rock is supposed to be a little sloppy.

All the Offspring members are sloppy.

Eskimo
06-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Ron was quiet, like Greg. How does that make him arrogant?

I went on the Steady Ground boards when they were starting up, and Ron was actually pretty active there and seemed like a perfectly nice dude. Understandably, he preferred answering questions about his new project to answering questions about the Offspring, but he did anyway from time to time. If I remember, he didn't go into detail but said that leaving the band was a rough time for all, and he never said anything remotely negative about his time in the band. I even remember someone asked him if he was going to remove his Offspring skull tattoo, and he simply responded "Why would I do that?" He also expressed regret about never posting on the old Offspring message boards.

As for his drumming, I've never seen the band live but the only place I've ever had a problem with it on the albums is in Staring at the Sun- not nearly crisp enough. He plays some creative parts on their first two albums, and on Conspiracy really improved in making them sound more powerful. That being said, Josh's drums sounded even better on the next two albums and I know Ron doesn't have nearly the reputation as a drummer as Josh or Pete.

Yeah, the fact this thread has devolved into a Ron bash-fest is asstacular. He seemed arrogant and bored? Go lick yourselves. Maybe around Co1 and the "Defy You" period, sure, but it's pretty easy to infer there were some internal problems with the band at the time there.

And yeah, he was really fan-friendly and awesome back around when Steady Ground was first starting up. Taking the time to respond to questions and such, he was a really open and cool dude the couple of times he responded to me.

I mean, no, Ron's not a technical-monster like Josh, but he was more than awesome throughout the time he was in the band. Not everyone's as crazy and upbeat a personality as someone like Atom, he was just being himself.

Hey, Greg's a dude of few words. Fuck that guy, what a toolbag. :rolleyes: You bunch of damn dirty Canadians.

killboybowerhead
06-24-2012, 02:59 AM
I dont think Pete is sloppy at all. He does some pretty interesting and weird simple sounding fills. Dude must of loved Iron Maiden or something. But even if I am wrong he is what they got.. and I kinda wish he played more on the album than he did. Being technically great at something does not automatically mean you are great to listen to.

Sara MZK
06-24-2012, 03:15 AM
I do think there has been some unnecessary bashing of Ron in this thread...

Does anyone know exactly what songs Pete played on for the new album, and which ones were drummed on by Josh?

Eskimo
06-24-2012, 03:58 AM
Nope, other than apparently it was split about 50/50.

I think in a few cases I can probably distinguish between them on the disc, but it's hard to say for sure. Different styles of song, kind of negates the change in drumming style where it might just be rolling with the punches.

TeddyBear_Army
06-24-2012, 08:38 AM
It's not a Ron bashing thread, most of us were just saying he SEEMED arrogant and distant... and he always did. I have a tape (damn, I'm old) of a swedish show from 95 where Ron looks bored AS FUCK. Maybe he wasn't into touring, that's something common among artists. I agree sometimes Dex looks bored too, but that's rare and almost always happen by the end of their tour. Dude must be tired as hell. And we were also pointing out the obvious: Ron's the least technically gifted drummer the guys ever had. I've seen both Atom and Pete live, and while Atom's a showman, Pete hits the drums like there's no tomorrow, and he really adds something special to their live performance. The little man is a drumming GIANT.
About Freese: the man's a monster, yes. Freese, along with Peart and Portnoy are the greatest drummers alive, no questions about that. While I'd love to see Josh and the guys live, I'm stoked about having Pete on board and kicking so much ass!

Degstur Lolland
06-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I can't see it. He is a perfectly fitting pro. And the way he nails Ignition, jawdropping.

06-24-2012, 11:37 AM
He is perfectly fitting

All the Offspring members are sloppy.

Punk rock is supposed to be a little sloppy.

These statements all work well together.

TheOldMark
06-24-2012, 11:38 AM
, I like to assume they wrote "Youre gonna go far kid" for Ron , with an ironic meaning.

Oh wow, thats an interesting point. I always thought they wrote it about Obama. That song came out an album or two after Ron left. But the lyrics kinda make sense there.

Britpunk
06-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Oh wow, thats an interesting point. I always thought they wrote it about Obama. That song came out an album or two after Ron left. But the lyrics kinda make sense there.

Why would they have written it about Obama? The song came out 5 months before he was elected.

Degstur Lolland
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
These statements all work well together.
I don't see a point in pointing it out.

They are especially tight now.

If anything I remember from the recent tour is Noodles not hitting the last note on the DBZ solo, plus he stopped playing for a moment in a song for some reason.

I'd like to see Pete being sloppy. Post some videos.

---

The things like, they have written YGGFK or Long Way Home solo because of Ron are bullshit. Also, Ron seeming arrogant because he only seems like that is crap too.

Supa
06-24-2012, 12:58 PM
About Freese: the man's a monster, yes. Freese, along with Peart and Portnoy are the greatest drummers alive, no questions about that.

I'd heavily argue that. All are great, yes, but I don't think they stack up to Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Smith, or Billy Cobham, to name a few.

cool 2 hate 681
06-24-2012, 12:58 PM
i have seen them live with ron atom and pete i think they were all pretty equal live

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Go lick yourselves.
I love you.

Nope, other than apparently it was split about 50/50.

I think in a few cases I can probably distinguish between them on the disc, but it's hard to say for sure. Different styles of song, kind of negates the change in drumming style where it might just be rolling with the punches.
Someone posted who did which tracks. Josh did 8, Pete did 4.

I could be wrong, but I think it was something like this:
1. Josh
2. Josh
3. Josh
4. Pete
5. Josh
6. Josh
7. Josh
8. Josh
9. Pete
10. Josh
11. Pete
12. Pete

cool 2 hate 681
06-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Someone posted who did which tracks. Josh did 8, Pete did 4.

I could be wrong, but I think it was something like this:
1. Josh
2. Josh
3. Josh
4. Pete
5. Josh
6. Josh
7. Josh
8. Josh
9. Pete
10. Josh
11. Pete
12. Pete

wow really? where can i find that post i think i heard noodles say it a interview it was about half and half

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 02:13 PM
wow really? where can i find that post i think i heard noodles say it a interview it was about half and half
Give me 10 minutes. I'll look for it.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 02:25 PM
http://offspring.com/community/showpost.php?p=1472012&postcount=5

06-24-2012, 03:45 PM
I don't see a point in pointing it out.

They are especially tight now.

If anything I remember from the recent tour is Noodles not hitting the last note on the DBZ solo, plus he stopped playing for a moment in a song for some reason.

I'd like to see Pete being sloppy. Post some videos.
The entire Lowlands performance (I believe it's on Youtube) is a good example of what I'm referring to, "Have You Ever" being a particularly egregious offender. Pete is missing cymbal cues left and right, bashing out blatant quarter measures instead of eighths, jumping into ill-fitting fills. This is overall indicative of Pete's playing style. His snare is loose, his bass drum often falls slightly off the beat. As someone who's played drums for over 20 years and favors the blocky powerhouse Jordan Burns approach over the loosey-gooseyness of a mid-90s Eric Melvin, I'm particularly susceptible to missed cymbal queues and unnecessarily economical drum choices. "Sloppiness" is not simply making a mistake, but an overall looseness in playing.

06-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Atom's a showman
Boy, this is especially true. I was just looking at videos on Youtube and stumbled onto this performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTj3KI_z_ps
"Hit That" is one of the most boring songs to play on the drums, and Atom made it look like the most fun ever, a veritable gift to drumming. I miss him.

Dexter_italy
06-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Atom may had more show, but Pete plays better. He played 4th and not 8th notes too just as Pete and most modern drummers do.
As for Ron he was the good, not a techinque drummer, but he just fitted, and then the songs started to be too much standard for him too I think. I've seen Josh freese live too, but that doesn't mean he would fit the band like atom or pete (maybe he would). I'm pretty happy with Pete, most of fans are I think. He plays faster than Atom, I remember watching All I want and getting bored for how slow it was. And the same with other songs. But he was super nice too.

As for the thread topic.. where's Ron? he might be surfing the waves without the need to work a single day from the money he still has and gets I think :D

Degstur Lolland
06-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Alright, so he doesn't play exactly what's on CD.

cool 2 hate 681
06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
http://offspring.com/community/showpost.php?p=1472012&postcount=5

Eskimo
06-25-2012, 03:05 AM
Ron's the least technically gifted drummer the guys ever had.

Self-Titled says different, muchacho. Mustache-o.

Of course Josh is a freakish drum-monster beat-wizard compared to the others. The other three guys all even out about the same, just with their different flairs on the base Offspring style, which is how it should be.

TeddyBear_Army
06-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Self-Titled says different, muchacho. Mustache-o.

I know what you're saying, but as it was pointed out before, most (if not all) songs from S/T had already been written by the time Ron joined the band, so probably Lilja was the one who wrote the drum parts. And you gotta agree that after S/T the drumming got pretty bland.

Zee
06-26-2012, 03:53 AM
Ron was such a great drummer. His timing, rhytmness and different levels of force used was high class.

Ron's one of the best work for sure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP1x2G0xPrE

The song is quite easy to play, but notice how he rhytms the hi-hat and totally carries the song. It's a matter of split seconds. Perfect job!

TeddyBear_Army
06-26-2012, 04:28 AM
how come people still piss on this man? the guy's fucking awesome. Pete, I wanna marry you and have a secret family with little mohawked babies!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBqZP_W9LpM

Eskimo
06-26-2012, 04:37 AM
I know what you're saying, but as it was pointed out before, most (if not all) songs from S/T had already been written by the time Ron joined the band, so probably Lilja was the one who wrote the drum parts. And you gotta agree that after S/T the drumming got pretty bland.

Dexter could have just easily written all the drum lines on the S/T, too. The band may have operated differently back then, but he's pretty much the writer-Poobah guy now, and Ron was kind of the widdle baby brother dude of the band, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was Dexter.

But what the fuck does that even have to do with Ron supposedly being "worse" than the others? If you just take their "famous" period, '94-'99ish, with Ron, he seemed to be having as good a time as anyone else, and he fit perfectly with the band.

Noodles isn't exactly Satriani, do we seem to give a nipple? Nay!

XYlophonetreeZ
06-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I don't really get where y'all got the idea that Lilja wrote all of those drum parts. Wasn't "Beheaded" specifically credited to "The Offspring and James Lilja"? That would imply that he had no part in writing the other songs.

Llamas
06-26-2012, 08:13 AM
But what the fuck does that even have to do with Ron supposedly being "worse" than the others? If you just take their "famous" period, '94-'99ish, with Ron, he seemed to be having as good a time as anyone else, and he fit perfectly with the band.
Well, when I bought Americana at age 14/15 and watched the videos on the enhanced CD, I immediately felt like Ron didn't really fit. He seemed to be off doing his own thing, while the other three were more together and talking and hanging out. I felt from even then that he was kind of the odd man out.

Noodles isn't exactly Satriani, do we seem to give a nipple? Nay!
It's true - the other members of the band aren't exactly virtuosos, and we don't complain about that. However, the other members have never been up for question. We have no alternative replacements to compare any of them to. If Greg left and someone like Flea from RHCP stepped in, we'd be talking about that, too, and the board would be divided about who they like more.

Supa
06-26-2012, 09:16 AM
After seeing Pete on one of the Session videos, he is totally energetic. Seeing Atom on Long Way Home on the CMVC DVD was awesome, but Pete can stack up just as well. Love him!

Eskimo
06-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Look, admittedly seeing them fresh with Atom in '04 left me with a grin at the new smash-the-shit-out-of-the-drumkit-and-headbang-like-a-drugged-up-rooster energy.

As for the Americana bonus footage stuff, that's 98/99, not too long before things hit boiling point and Ron was out. He's not in the end of the WDYGAJ video either, for whatever reason, though even inferring anything from that is jumping to conclusions.

I totally agree that with Co1 and thereabouts Ron seemed a little..."meh" on the whole thing. But to be fair, so did Dexter for fuck's sake, even post-Co1 after Ron was out of the picture.

Just think it's a shitty thing to do to somehow discount the dude's 15 year good & amiable run with the band due to Atom being some hyperactive muppet and Pete being the fun new guy.

There are also a shitload of people who lump praise on Ron's talents as a drummer.

Supa
06-27-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm not denying Ron was good, and while the serious, stoic thing doesn't mean one is a bad or bored performer, I personally just prefer the energy.

However, we must remember that all of the band started out as more or less self trained on their instruments (Ron included). They were punks after all. Atom and Pete didn't have their start in a "crappy punk band".

D0NT
06-27-2012, 10:58 AM

When I said greatest I dindt meant techincs AT ALL. Im no drummer to apreciate it like that , I just think his drumming was beautifull, you guys are giving to much credit to lilja, what did he record apart from that? Maybe "hopeless" from Manic Subsidal.

Are you guys positive he wrote the drums for the whole S/T album? In my opinion even though they are great drummers the 3 last ones, lack "the Offspring style" that Ron had while playing in their first 4 records at least.

He just fitted the other guys so well:D I was glad 12 years ago when I've got to listen to T.S.O.L because of the guys refrain to name them as an influence, and was glad to see TODD BARNES's (R.I.P) drumming was very similar to Ron's in S/T , although that was a usual drumming sound to 80's american punk rock I can only compare Ron's drumming in that first album to his.

Llamas
06-27-2012, 11:13 AM
As for the Americana bonus footage stuff, that's 98/99, not too long before things hit boiling point and Ron was out. He's not in the end of the WDYGAJ video either, for whatever reason, though even inferring anything from that is jumping to conclusions.
The bonus videos were filmed in 1997, three years before CO1. I haven't inferred anything from Ron not being in the end of the song video, though.

Just think it's a shitty thing to do to somehow discount the dude's 15 year good & amiable run with the band due to Atom being some hyperactive muppet and Pete being the fun new guy.
Who's discounting him?? I just prefer Pete, and didn't think Ron was a great fit for the band. Never said he was a shitty person or a shitty drummer or thank god he's gone.

There are also a shitload of people who lump praise on Ron's talents as a drummer.
Point being?

However, we must remember that all of the band started out as more or less self trained on their instruments (Ron included). They were punks after all. Atom and Pete didn't have their start in a "crappy punk band".

Absolutely true - but I don't think anyone was bashing Ron for not being as good a drummer as the other guys.