PDA

View Full Version : Did the band announce the third single to be the opening track, "The Future

Greekoldfan
06-22-2012, 03:14 AM
On June 21, the band announced the third single to be the opening track, "The Future Is Now". that is written in wikipedia. did i miss anything??

Rooster
06-22-2012, 03:19 AM
That's weird, because the sticker on the CD case says "The new album featuring "Days Go By", Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk)" and "Secrets From The Underground". Secrets From The Underground would be a great single if you ask me.

And yes, I have the CD. That's Europe for you, biatchez :D

edit: Here's the proof:

http://www.offspring.com/community/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=8184

Dexter_italy
06-22-2012, 03:21 AM
On June 21, the band announced the third single to be the opening track, "The Future Is Now". that is written in wikipedia. did i miss anything??

No they didn't say nothing like this :) fuck wikipedia.... Now I go and write that they are releasing another album in december :D

NoGuessing
06-22-2012, 03:43 AM
That's weird, because the sticker on the CD case says "The new album featuring "Days Go By", Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk)" and "Secrets From The Underground". Secrets From The Underground would be a great single if you ask me.

Please let that be a hint. That and /0 would be awesome singles. /0 has a bit in common with Hammerhead actually.

Rooster
06-22-2012, 03:49 AM
Turning into You would be a good single also, it could do well. But yeah, I hope the sticker is a hint, because Secrets from the Underground is a monster track! :)

By the way, the artwork in the booklet is awesome, I really love the pictures for the individual songs. One thing seems a bit odd though. According to album credits, Josh Freese plays drums on tracks 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10. I was expecting that the vast majority would be Pete's drumming. I wonder how he feels about it?

Defender
06-22-2012, 04:31 AM
I just read it on wiki,too. I haven't listened to the new album yet but TFIN is a good choice anyway. Where did they get that information?

Rooster
06-22-2012, 04:42 AM
I just read it on wiki,too. I haven't listened to the new album yet but TFIN is a good choice anyway. Where did they get that information?

ChrisDude101, perhaps?

I'm not sure, but the sticker hints otherwise. I'd love The Future Is Now as a single too!

momo91
06-22-2012, 04:50 AM
By the way, the artwork in the booklet is awesome, I really love the pictures for the individual songs. One thing seems a bit odd though. According to album credits, Josh Freese plays drums on tracks 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10. I was expecting that the vast majority would be Pete's drumming. I wonder how he feels about it?

Really? I hoped to see more Pete too. It would be nice having an interview or something with his point of view about it and in general about his roule into the band.

Greekoldfan
06-22-2012, 05:13 AM
Really? I hoped to see more Pete too. It would be nice having an interview or something with his point of view about it and in general about his roule into the band.

they already answered that guys in the interview pt1

Rooster
06-22-2012, 05:19 AM
they already answered that guys in the interview pt1

Yeah, but I thought that Pete would still be the prominent drummer on the album. Oh well, at least he's having a lots of fun on tour :)

Dexter_italy
06-22-2012, 05:20 AM
I thought too that Pete would have played in more songs from the interview. They said that they had josh when they wanted to make things quickly...that seems most of the album. But you can clearly hear josh drumming, like the solo on hurting as one, same style as long way home :) (which is cool)

F@ BANKZ
06-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Nice, first time they've chosen an opener other than the meaning of life 15 years or so ago. It's got some mega playing potential on alt. radio and the internet etc... mainstream radio probably can't pick up on it but I don't know how important that is anymore :p

Dexter_italy
06-22-2012, 05:29 AM
I think the thread should be called "wikipedia says that:....." because people don't read the first page and believe this..which from the sticker on the cd is totally untrue

Llamas
06-22-2012, 07:54 AM
A lot of people here don't seem to realize what can qualify for being a single. The Future is Now could definitely qualify. Secrets from the Underground could, as well, but it's less likely. Dividing by Zero does not qualify.

Why? Because if you look at singles pretty much through history, they generally fall between 3:30 and 4:00 long. Sometimes you can get away with 30 seconds in either direction (a bit above 3 min or a bit less than 4:30 can happen). Secrets is 3:09, so it's POSSIBLE. Dividing by Zero is only 2:22, though. Someone tell me how many radio singles have been less than 2:30 long - not many, I bet :P

DMelges
06-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Let's just hope that Pete doesn't get sick of being in the band because he didn't write any new songs....

nightvision
06-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Someone tell me how many radio singles have been less than 2:30 long - not many, I bet :P

All I Want and Song 2 by Blur!

Boom, roasted!

SeanAshmore
06-22-2012, 08:26 AM
A lot of people here don't seem to realize what can qualify for being a single. The Future is Now could definitely qualify. Secrets from the Underground could, as well, but it's less likely. Dividing by Zero does not qualify.

Why? Because if you look at singles pretty much through history, they generally fall between 3:30 and 4:00 long. Sometimes you can get away with 30 seconds in either direction (a bit above 3 min or a bit less than 4:30 can happen). Secrets is 3:09, so it's POSSIBLE. Dividing by Zero is only 2:22, though. Someone tell me how many radio singles have been less than 2:30 long - not many, I bet :P

Actually if you go back to songs from the Beatles, Elvis etc. they were all roughly 2.5mins long. The reason dividing by zero and Slim Pickens and similar songs will never be a single is because they are not pop songs. They can release any song they like I guess but the label will ultimately want the closest thing they have to a pop/rock song.

NoGuessing
06-22-2012, 08:32 AM
/0 and Slim Pickens together would make a mint single if it sounded cohesive outside the context of the album.

Jojan
06-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Use {{cn}} whenever someone writes something that you do not believe in.

Llamas
06-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Boom, roasted!

not many, I bet :P

Not exactly roasted, considering I said "not many" ;) Those songs are still 15 years old, though, and the radio has changed since then.

Actually if you go back to songs from the Beatles, Elvis etc. they were all roughly 2.5mins long. The reason dividing by zero and Slim Pickens and similar songs will never be a single is because they are not pop songs. They can release any song they like I guess but the label will ultimately want the closest thing they have to a pop/rock song.

I'm talking about modern singles.

I just put all the songs from the Billboard Top 100 from 2001 until 2011 in my now playing list to observe the times of all the songs. Didn't catch a single one in that list that was under 3 minutes.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-22-2012, 09:47 AM
/0 and Slim Pickens together would make a mint single if it sounded cohesive outside the context of the album.

But could you imagine trying to look that song up after hearing it on the radio?

Rock Radio DJ: "That was the latest from the Offspring, 'Dividing By Zero and Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell!"

Listener: ":confused::confused::confused::confused:"

*Listener tries to google song title*

*Listener fails to remember correctly*

*Listener visits iTunes and attempts to find song*

*After like an hour, listener finally discovers that it's actually 2 songs*

*Listener gets pissed off and denounces all things related to Offspring*

Degstur Lolland
06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
TFIN would be cool, but I guess it's too good to be a single. Something like A Lot Like Me. Without a source, it's just wikipedia says...

They played SFTU, TIY and DM with Stryker so some of those might make it. Plus, AIHLIY was played as a background music. DM must get a chance and it makes sense going for SFTU and TIY after DGB and CC. Personally, I'd like OCG, DM and TFIN.

Drummers situation, if it's true that Josh plays those tracks, cool because not many of you realize that he is probably the best active drummer for pop, rock, punk and metal. And I think he is Pete's idol too! So, that makes sense. Pete is another professional, not as accomplished as Josh, so I don't think it will be a problem. Pete did get oldies like DM, DBZ and SP. TIY is a modern rock, so at least this one, sounds great. I hope you guys are not kidding me, I haven't really analysed drums. I'd guess Josh did TIY, but he is obvious on HAO.

Rooster
06-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Well, I'm not kidding, It does say so in the booklet. So apparently Pete got Turning Into You, Dirty Magic, Dividing by Zero and Slim Pickens, and he did a great job on these tracks :)

nightvision
06-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Not exactly roasted, considering I said "not many" ;) Those songs are still 15 years old, though, and the radio has changed since then.

Hmm yeah but... "nothing changes 'cause it's all the same"...

Boom, roasted again!

KTILLA23
06-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Can someone take a pic or a video walkthrough of the booklet? That would be sweet!

Little_Miss_1565
06-22-2012, 10:35 AM

Come on now guys...Band announcements are not made on Wikipedia. If it's not on Offspring.com, it's not a thing.

Rooster
06-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Yeah guys, I've already told you it was probably just ChrisDude101...

cool 2 hate 681
06-22-2012, 11:00 AM

it would actually be the second single

Greekoldfan
06-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Come on now guys...Band announcements are not made on Wikipedia. If it's not on Offspring.com, it's not a thing.

yeah that's why i wrote did i miss anything?i started looking on the site and twitter and fb but nothing.so i was wondering if it is fake or they said that in any other interview

Little_Miss_1565
06-22-2012, 11:06 AM
If it's on Wikipedia and not on any of the band's official web properties, it's fake. Especially if there's no citation on the Wikipedia mention.

Oxygene
06-22-2012, 12:35 PM
If it's not on Offspring.com, it's not a thing.

That should either be a tattoo or on an episode of Seinfeld :D

0r4ng3
06-22-2012, 12:41 PM

Boom, roasted!
Also, (Can't Get My) Head Around You is 2:15. Not exactly a chart-topper but it was released by them as a single.

Outerspaceman21
06-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I would like Secrets from the Underground as the next single. Good song.

Defender
06-22-2012, 12:47 PM
I just noticed that Wikipedia removed it. They realized their stupid mistake.

Degstur Lolland
06-22-2012, 12:56 PM
The title of this thread should be moderated.

killboybowerhead
06-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Also, (Can't Get My) Head Around You is 2:15. Not exactly a chart-topper but it was released by them as a single.

yea there wasn't much to choose from off that album

Little_Miss_1565
06-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I just noticed that Wikipedia removed it. They realized their stupid mistake.

More likely that someone edited it out since I don't think Wikipedia itself makes any edits, but yeah.

Supa
06-22-2012, 07:55 PM
yea there wasn't much to choose from off that album

Seriously, what's the hate with Splinter? That album had some of the best songs they've done, the pace was just ruined with The Worst Hangover Ever, and When You're In Prison is a terrible closer, although a humorous song by itself.

Thomas
06-22-2012, 09:03 PM
I'd personally much prefer it if they went with Secrets from the Underground or Dirty Magic. SFTU I think is definitely one of their best songs in a long time, and I think it has radio potential.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-23-2012, 10:40 AM
And yes, I have the CD. That's Europe for you, biatchez :D

edit: Here's the proof:

http://www.offspring.com/community/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=8184
That's not much for proof.

EDIT: the photo magically showed up. Now I look like a total fool. I refuse to delete this post though, because it just makes things confusing.

Rooster
06-23-2012, 11:16 AM
That's not much for proof.

So you can't see the picture, too? it's a photo from one of the albums on my profile, I uploaded it there and then posted it in this thread, but it doesn't seem to work properly :confused:

edit: I'll try it this way then: http://www.offspring.com/community/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=8184
edit 2: looks like my settings were a bit messed up, hopefully it works now.

adrianoVII
06-23-2012, 11:28 AM
the third single MUST be Slim Pickens... best track in album!

Outerspaceman21
06-23-2012, 11:29 AM
So you can't see the picture, too? it's a photo from one of the albums on my profile, I uploaded it there and then posted it in this thread, but it doesn't seem to work properly :confused:

edit: I'll try it this way then: http://www.offspring.com/community/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=8184

That reminds me of when I bought Raf,Rag. It had a sticker that said "Containing the Singles Hammerhead and You're Gonna Go Far, Kid". That song wasn't officially released until much later (September according to wikipedia).

I'd personally much prefer it if they went with Secrets from the Underground or Dirty Magic. SFTU I think is definitely one of their best songs in a long time, and I think it has radio potential.

I agree. Honestly, I think it should be both, like Dirty Magic after Secrets.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-23-2012, 12:46 PM

edit 2: looks like my settings were a bit messed up, hopefully it works now.
I can see it now. :)

Llamas
06-23-2012, 02:01 PM
If it's on the sticker on the CD, then yeah, it's probably gonna be Secrets. I can definitely get behind that.

Jason_Voorhees
06-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Well Pete and Josh were supposed to both drum on the record. Josh lives nearby the studio and Pete lives far away, so if they want to record something spur of the moment they call Josh.

Pete's a fantastic drummer though and a great replacement for Ron. I like him better than Atom, he's a lot more animated when drumming and always looks like he's having a killer time up there pounding away on those drums.

jacknife737
06-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Secrets would be a great choice for a single.

Its one of the best songs on the album, and that hook in the chorus is just infectious.

Rooster
06-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Anyone who ever doubted Pete should just listen to the drumming in Dividing By Zero. That's all that was needed to be said :)

DMelges
06-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Secrets From The Underground might be my favorite song off the record, not quite sure yet. Just think the intro could be better, but an awesome song. Could have a really great video, ala Gotta Get Away.

Degstur Lolland
06-24-2012, 06:34 PM
I was thinking TIY would have a bigger chance because it is more modern, but SFTU has a very relevant topic currently, it's typical offspring, but still fresh.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Just a few days earlier, this was released: http://music.is-amazing.com/2012/06/20/toe-future-now-ep-2012