PDA

View Full Version : OC Guns (Video Clip)

Camila
06-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I can't be the only one who thinks this song deserves a fun video. Gringo Bandito should definitely star it.

PS: is the clacking at the very beginning of the song taken from this scene from "The Warriors"? I love this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibVhOGDzoA4

Eskimo
06-22-2012, 08:55 PM
But it's goofy and different, Camila! How the fuck can you like this, huh? Huh?

How dare they?

And the only way this'll get a video will be Cool To Hate/Da Hui style, no chance in hell it'll be a single.

martin_theoffspring
06-22-2012, 09:01 PM
hahaha could be...

Camila
06-22-2012, 09:09 PM
But it's goofy and different, Camila! How the fuck can you like this, huh? Huh?

How dare they?

And the only way this'll get a video will be Cool To Hate/Da Hui style, no chance in hell it'll be a single.

I didn't know the nice side of you, Eskimo. It's "different"?! Yes, Offspring different and Goofy. That's what I am talking about. Like I said on the pool thread OC Gun makes up for CC.

And yes, I don't think it should be a single. I agree with your examples of videos, which would only make it the more awesome. =)

Degstur Lolland
06-22-2012, 09:20 PM
OCG is the most unexpected success on the album for me. I'd like a video too, something drawn and they don't have to be in it, they can draw them though.

The sound is probably Vibraslap, Dexter posted a pic on twitter with it. And they use it later in the song I guess, but in a different way, it sounds like a jumping spiral or something.

Camila
06-22-2012, 09:25 PM
OCG is the most unexpected success on the album for me. I'd like a video too, something drawn and they don't have to be in it, they can draw them though.

That was the song I was most curious about and I am not disappointed. It would be something drawn like Frijoleros by Molotov, but it would be much cooler if for example we could see Greg playing a cabron or something hahaha... That'd be hilarious...

NoGuessing
06-22-2012, 10:21 PM
It's funny, I was prepared to hate this song. The description sounded worrying, but it's actually one of the best songs they've ever done imo.

It's probably not single material though because it doesn't have many change ups to get the attention. It's four minutes of subtle changes with a soild funky bass.

Thomas
06-22-2012, 10:40 PM
I don't know if it's the fact that I'm half Hispanic and just finished my spanish minor, but Dexter's pronunciation of those spanish words really irks me. Maybe it'll grow on me, but I definitely feel like this would have been an AMAZING instrumental track, and that's something I don't normally say about these guys...

Degstur Lolland
06-22-2012, 10:55 PM
That sucks, Thomas. Take it like a manxican. Pretty Spanish for a white guy. More fun.

Llamas
06-23-2012, 05:38 AM
I don't know if it's the fact that I'm half Hispanic and just finished my spanish minor, but Dexter's pronunciation of those spanish words really irks me. Maybe it'll grow on me, but I definitely feel like this would have been an AMAZING instrumental track, and that's something I don't normally say about these guys...

It honestly kinda irks me when people are irked by such things. Would you be irked, as well, if someone who spoke English as a second language sang a song in English with a bad accent? I hate it when people are irked by others not having the best accents in languages that aren't their own. Dexter used Spanish for stylistic reasons, and I like the purpose that it serves. I don't speak Spanish, and I can definitely hear his ultra-American accent in the song... but it's just an accent.

In fact, it always seems to be in cases where the language in question is not the first language of the person who's irked. Just recently an American-Finnish friend of mine who speaks French as a third language complained about Regina Spektor's French accent in one of her new songs. But I don't think I've heard anyone complain about a "foreigner" singing a song in that person's first language.

This isn't exactly directed toward you, Thomas - it's just something that's been bugging me lately and your post was just the straw that broke the camel's back ;)

Eskimo
06-23-2012, 06:53 AM
It's the "gringo" in Gringo Bandito, dude. :p

If he pronounced it right, it'd be...uh, non-gringo. Or something.

What are the translated lyrics there, by the way? I'm all non-bilingual and shit. Kinda curious.

Microwave Jellyfish
06-23-2012, 07:00 AM
I don't speak much Spanish, but I think those words have roughly the same wise meaning as the last line in the Bad Habit breakdown :)

Eskimo
06-23-2012, 07:04 AM
:p Dexter, you filthy-mouthed bitch.

Thomas
06-23-2012, 07:12 AM
It honestly kinda irks me when people are irked by such things. Would you be irked, as well, if someone who spoke English as a second language sang a song in English with a bad accent? I hate it when people are irked by others not having the best accents in languages that aren't their own. Dexter used Spanish for stylistic reasons, and I like the purpose that it serves. I don't speak Spanish, and I can definitely hear his ultra-American accent in the song... but it's just an accent.

In fact, it always seems to be in cases where the language in question is not the first language of the person who's irked. Just recently an American-Finnish friend of mine who speaks French as a third language complained about Regina Spektor's French accent in one of her new songs. But I don't think I've heard anyone complain about a "foreigner" singing a song in that person's first language.

This isn't exactly directed toward you, Thomas - it's just something that's been bugging me lately and your post was just the straw that broke the camel's back ;)

I definitely see what you mean. Maybe "irk" was the wrong word to use. I guess I should say that it doesn't sound right to my ear, so that's all I can think about when I hear it. Like I said, though, maybe it'll grow on me and the "weird" sound I hear will go away in my ear after time.

Eskimo
06-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Maybe it's even intentional? You know, kind of a "Pretty Fly"-esque thing, it's kind of a white-boy-in-the-barrio situation? *Shrug*

Llamas
06-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Maybe it's even intentional? You know, kind of a "Pretty Fly"-esque thing, it's kind of a white-boy-in-the-barrio situation? *Shrug*

That's very possible. I doubt Dexter was trying to sound authentic for that song ;)

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm half Chilean, and I don't mind Dexter's pronunciation in the song. Then again, I can't speak Spanish. :p I don't think it would bother me even if I could though! lol

D0NT
06-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Things in spanish he sings if im not wrong : Güero (which means blonde), Puto(fag) , hijo de puta ( son of a beech) and Cabron(a**hole)

he also says Mira Muy Borracho ( look ,very drunk) and Vaya con Dios ( go with God)

The song is funny catchy and kick ass. The Offspring do not play only punk music nowdays, and its been like that for like 15 years, get over it already.

Sara MZK
06-23-2012, 09:33 AM
The song is funny catchy and kick ass. The Offspring do not play only punk music nowdays, and its been like that for like 15 years, get over it already.

They may not only play punk music nowadays, but one thing they've never lost is their punk rock spirit. And that is the most important thing. :)

personal_loans_1
06-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I watched oc guns with cruising california video, some parts were suspiciously accurate.
I love OC guns. It has everything I love in it. American-spanish accent is one of those things, it's adorable. ;p

Tompo2000
06-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I watched oc guns with cruising california video, some parts were suspiciously accurate.

I can confirm that :D

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I can't be the only one who thinks this song deserves a fun video. Gringo Bandito should definitely star it.

PS: is the clacking at the very beginning of the song taken from this scene from "The Warriors"? I love this movie.

That was the stupidest thing ever. The guy at the end opened his switch blade, put it in his belt, and walked away. What purpose does that serve? It's not like it'll save him any time and it's making it less concealed. What if he fell on his butt? If it's not in use, it should be closed.

Things in spanish he sings if im not wrong : Güero (which means blonde), Puto(fag) , hijo de puta ( son of a beech) and Cabron(a**hole)

Son of a beech :D

Eskimo
06-23-2012, 11:47 AM
The lyrics translate to "blond fag"/other expletive? Well, that'd explain the accent.

It's a gringo guy in a dangerous part of OC/LA posing, being called out by the real guys and he's risking his life. By the sounds of it.

Camila
06-23-2012, 12:22 PM

It shouldn't bother you. Americans seem to have a hard time rolling their "Rs" the same way Japanese have problems with their "Ls". Cabron sounded pretty accurate to me. In addition, you have to take into consideration that there will always be accent when it's not your mother tongue.

Take it like a manxican.

I like manxican!

That was the stupidest thing ever.

Your comment was the stupidest thing ever. Besides wasting your time watching the whole scene, you might have missed my question. I am only talking about the clacking of the bottles at the beginning of the song that sounds like the scene from the movie in which the guy makes the bottle noise.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Your comment was the stupidest thing ever. Besides wasting your time watching the whole scene, you might have missed my question. I am only talking about the clacking of the bottles at the beginning of the song that sounds like the scene from the movie in which the guy makes the bottle noise.
I decided to watch the whole scene, and it really bothered me, so I felt the need to comment about it.

Eskimo
06-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Nein. Ze Kickmeister's correct. But that goes without saying.

GamerKT
06-24-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm Dominican. While not perfect, Dexter's pronunciation is 10x better than the average, non-Spanish-speaking American.

TheJakes84
06-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Was it intentional or just a coincidence. :rolleyes:

Britpunk
06-24-2012, 03:02 PM

he also says Mira Muy Borracho ( look ,very drunk) and Vaya con Dios ( go with God)

Doesn't puta mean fucker? as in puta madre = motherfucker?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 03:41 PM
That's what I thought. But then again, hablo un poco de español.

And when I say a little Spanish, I mean very little Spanish. I didn't say "very little" because I figured "muy poco" is probably an oxymoron in Spanish.

Eskimo
06-25-2012, 02:32 AM
...Burrito.

Bueno. I speak about as much as Craig Ferguson.

Camila
06-25-2012, 06:50 AM

Puta madre is more of Son of a bitch.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
It's so confusing. I'm going to take a Spanish course next year.

personal_loans_1
06-25-2012, 02:06 PM
I wrote here about watching cruising california video with oc guns, so I'll continue here:

I watched dragostea din tei vid with cruising california and this is totally it. It is amazing how it fits this song. And you know, that bass from airplane engine-loudspeakers, haha.

ps. Go for it KickHim. I feel like this is that moment to finally start learning Spanish too.

D0NT
06-25-2012, 04:36 PM

puta is whore, and I do know how to spell son of bitch, I thought I would be banned, but I ended up being banned because of asking for download link

son of beech was a tribute to tobias beecher from OZ

Mechagodzilla2
07-09-2012, 09:46 AM
That sucks, Thomas. Take it like a manxican. Pretty Spanish for a white guy. More fun.

Pretty whitespeak for a Spanish, Thomas.

And I'm another one who thinks OC guns would make a good video. They should seriously release this as a single with a remix of Dirty Magic as the b-side.

SeanAshmore
07-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Wow Camilla, I never would have noticed that in a month of Sundays! That is definitely sampled from The Warriors! ha. Good catch!

SMASHedTHEignition
07-09-2012, 09:24 PM
I live in Australia and I've showed so many people this song and everyone loves it and thinks its badass as a mofucka ;) Deffinately single material.