PDA

View Full Version : Anti-NoOb mentality...

_Lost_
06-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Even though I've been away from here for a while (or perhaps largely due to it), I find myself skimming over posts by anyone who has either a A)low post count or B)joined recently. I often do it without even realizing it. I'm just like "oh, he hasn't been here long. Wtf does he know?" I'm kind of amazed at myself. Granted, 7 1/2 years ago when I joined, being a NoOb was a stigma that was hard to shake. I think that a lot of it comes from the people fussing at the moderators about this, that or the other thing and just displaying their ignorance for the rest of us to judge them upon. My instant response is "wtf are you bitching about? You don't know what this place was like before moderators...No moar hope for better days:(..."

Its really annoying, considering that most of the people here that I adore have not been here as long as I have.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Am I a noob to you? Will you read this?

Omni
06-24-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't skip over users with low post counts, but if I see that a new user has a trend of posting really dumb or unconstructive stuff, I'll usually skip over the topics they make. I'll usually still even read their posts, if they're part of a discussion I'm following. I don't think I've ever added one person on the ignore list.

TheJakes84
06-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Well said, Mrs. Lost. :eek:

T-6005
06-24-2012, 03:12 PM
You will read this.

_Lost_
06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I did read it, but only because it is far shorter than your usual post.

Omni, I do that too, though, generally that has very little to do with whether or not they are new here. I think that a lot of new members go through that "annoying as fuck and totally useless" posting period and a lot of people get lumped in with the useless people. That happened to me, like four years ago, when Rutegard first joined and I had just returned to the boards after a year long absence. Which is actually why I have this account. Better to be thought a nOob than to be lumped in with notoriously annoying posters. (Ana, if you read this, don't take offense. A lot has changed since then.)

Llamas
06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Lost will read the SHIT outta this one because she totally scans threads looking for posts by ilovellamas. I know it.

Isolated Fury
06-25-2012, 07:17 AM
I'll be honest. I will read anyone's posts regardless of their post counts. But like Omni said, I will immediately categorize a person as annoying or not annoying. If I find them excessively annoying, I skip past their posts half of the time. I don't, however, use my ignore list. I always feel like maybe - just maybe - that annoying idiot will turn into someone of worth. They usually don't, but I keep my ignore list clear for the special few that surprise me.

I can't say I enjoy this, though. There have been days where I look at stupid post after stupid post and end up feeling like I've wasted my time.

_Lost_
06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
I've ignored a couple of users. Its always funny to see them post in threads after that, because they will post several times and no one will reply or acknowledge them.

ad8
06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Llamas, you are pretty much the female JN, aren't you?

I think that I read more "newbie posts" than I used to, because there are not that many more new members, so it is easier to get used to people who have just started posting but stick around for two weeks or so.

Llamas
06-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Llamas, you are pretty much the female JN, aren't you?

Because I have a giant vagina? Or what do you mean by that? ;)

Omni
06-26-2012, 06:42 PM
You're a sista, llamas?

Godxilla
06-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Am I a no0b? Will you read this too? Now that I'm a senior member, I hope not.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Am I a no0b? Will you read this too? Now that I'm a senior member, I hope not.
Already? In less than a month? You were a lot quicker than me.

Godxilla
06-26-2012, 06:56 PM

Was I? Well, I am quite talkitive, and it is summer break. So that could the reason. Plus, I've had lots of interesting and savage debates.

_Lost_
06-26-2012, 07:07 PM

I went 2 or 3 years without posting much on this account and my average is still 2.5 posts per day... and I got nothin' on Llamas or JohnnyNemesis

BagOfShenanigans
06-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Kneel before my moderate post count!

Godxilla
06-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Kneel before my moderate post count!

Never! Kneeleth you before my sick/rad/awesome profile picture!

Omni
06-26-2012, 07:17 PM
I have been active almost continuously since 2004, and I just barely broke 2,000 posts. I think I have the lowest postcount of any member of my activity level.

T-6005
06-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Omni, I wouldn't worry about that. I still feel just barely recognizable amongst the general BBS populace and I'm close to the 10k mark. And I write some long-ass posts.

WebDudette
06-26-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm just posting here to see my post count. The last time I remember looking it was in the 2.5k area.

edit: holy shit, I had no idea.

Llamas
06-27-2012, 04:25 AM
Jesus, I just looked at my post count, and now I'm embarrassed :( It's because I used to post wayyyyyyyyyyy too much early on... so even though I now post like a regular person, I'm already way ahead of the curve. I think my average posts per day used to be above 20 :-S

Sara MZK
06-27-2012, 05:22 AM
I think anyone who places any real importance on something as frivilous as a person's post-count, and judges them a certain way due to that, is really petty and small-minded, and not someone who's opinion I'd take very seriously.

WebDudette
06-27-2012, 05:39 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I never look at post count. I often skip posts of people I do not recognize or people I know I generally find very uninteresting or noncontributing.

ad8
06-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Because I have a giant vagina? Or what do you mean by that? ;)

Alright, that made me laugh :D
But yeah, you noticed it yourself. I can't believe that I have posted over 3k times here already, and I have barely a fifth of your postcount! :eek:

Omni
06-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Omni, I wouldn't worry about that. I still feel just barely recognizable amongst the general BBS populace and I'm close to the 10k mark. And I write some long-ass posts.

Reading your long-ass posts is the highlight of most people's day and you know it.

coke_a_holic
06-27-2012, 08:02 AM
I heard we were posting in this thread to talk about how old we are? I started posting here when I was 14 and now I'm 21 and that's terrifying to me. Now I know how all the REALLY old people must feel all the time :(

EDIT: http://offspring.com/forums/memberlist.php?order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30

This used to be how I knew who was cool. Now I see that I only have 200 more posts than ruroken... god damn, that kid posted a lot.

EDIT 2: AND bd007h has a shit ton of posts. I think around a third of his posts were him defending stupid things he said, like that Davey Havok had been born in his house, that he is happy to be a virgin at 20 (lol), that the Buffalo Sabres are the best hockey team (lol), etc. Man. Why don't we attack people for saying stupid shit anymore?

_Lost_
06-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Saramzk, I'm not saying that its an all important thing, but it can be indicative of the types of posts you are likely to see from them. A lot of new people go through a "OMGZorz! I want 2 sleepz w/ Noodlez and haz hiz leopard printed babies!" phase. The same threads come up over and over where people ask the same questions that could simply be answered with a click of the search button. Its not like I see a username I don't recognize and immediately check their join date/post count, but if I don't recognize them and the first few posts I see by them aren't thoughtful or interesting, that person and all their friends get skimmed over until they get over the whole annoying thing.

I wonder what my post count would look like if it weren't for the long absences...

WebDudette
06-27-2012, 09:07 AM
I heard we were posting in this thread to talk about how old we are? I started posting here when I was 14 and now I'm 21 and that's terrifying to me. Now I know how all the REALLY old people must feel all the time :(

I know that feeling, man.

EDIT: http://offspring.com/forums/memberlist.php?order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30

holy shit, most of those people haven't posted in forever, yet they're dominating that list. I find comfort in the fact that I'm not on the first page.

Omni
06-27-2012, 09:33 AM
This used to be how I knew who was cool. Now I see that I only have 200 more posts than ruroken... god damn, that kid posted a lot.

I actually considered talking about him earlier, but decided against it. Yeah, he had 8,000-something posts, and they were all accumulated in around a year or less. Admit it, everyone. You kind of misses the excitement his brand of stubborn ignorance brought to the forum.

Sara MZK
06-27-2012, 10:37 AM
@_Lost_: My post was not directed at you, it was just a general reply to a thread entitled "Anti-Noob mentality". ;)

holland25
06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Actually, I do that too. Especially when the new Offspring album comes out. There's always a noob-boom a few months before the scheduled released date and 80% of the noobs piss me off. So there are two things I do:

1. Refuse to browse the forums
2. Read a few posts, get pissed and leave

holy shit, most of those people haven't posted in forever, yet they're dominating that list. I find comfort in the fact that I'm not on the first page.

I'm on there and I don't deserve it... I reached 10,000 2 years ago, and I haven't boosted my postcount for quite a while.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-01-2012, 10:32 AM
All my recent posts in this thread disappeared. Now no one can see my useless statistics that I gathered on the percentages of junior members, members, senior members, people with more than 5 posts, users with one or less, etc.

WebDudette
07-01-2012, 07:19 PM
those were all actually pretty interesting too.

Sidewinder
07-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I have lowish postcount, I think.

mrconeman
07-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Considering my time here I think I have a ludicrously low post count.

I actually think there are only a handful of members left on this board that pre-date my join date. Which is a little scary.
I was on the white bbs way back when, I remember the crazy CO1 website being uploaded, and webdude and all that. I was probably like 12 at the time. I'm 23 now. Jesus.

on topic though - I think I almost go more by avatars than by post count, it's easier to see and I'm basically blind, yeah, I categorise people into "GU;DR"* and "GI;WR"**. Posters that I haven't come across do get a fairly large window of opportunity before they're put into either pile.

*Generally useless; Don't read
**Generally interesting; Will read.

edit: I feel I should note that there are people on this board that I consider to be mind numbingly fucking retarded, but I still file them under interesting and read their posts, I don't mean interesting to be "good" I mean it to be interesting. The only way to be sure that I won't read your posts is to be completely boring.

My Name Was Taken
07-01-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm totally pro-noob. The new people aren't usually uptight assholes like the rest of you. You know I mean that as lovingly as possible...

Sara MZK
07-02-2012, 02:59 AM
I'm totally pro-noob. The new people aren't usually uptight assholes like the rest of you. You know I mean that as lovingly as possible...

Yep, I am too. And what many long term posters all too easily forget, is that they too, were "noobs" once... Someone needs to give me a very good reason for treating their posts/opinions with derision, and being a "noob" or having a low post count certainly don't strike me as very good reasons for doing that.

holland25
07-02-2012, 03:51 AM
When we were noobs, we weren't as stupid as today's noobs are. At least I think so.

Sara MZK
07-02-2012, 03:59 AM
When we were noobs, we weren't as stupid as today's noobs are. At least I think so.

Well to be fair, you would say that though, wouldn't you? hehe :p Okay, some noobs are stupid, (but then some long time members can also be stupid too) but to be so generalistic about all new members, hardly makes you look very clever either. For me at least, someone needs to visibly show actions and an attitude which invites derision, and/or being ignored. Simply being new should not be an automatic pre-requisite for being given that treatment.

My Name Was Taken
07-02-2012, 05:40 AM
(but then some long time members can also be stupid too)

Like me. I've made more than my fair share of stupid posts.

Sara MZK
07-02-2012, 06:13 AM
Like me. I've made more than my fair share of stupid posts.

You don't need to be stupid to say or do something stupid... lol Being stupid means you're like that all the time, or the majority of it. :P

Isolated Fury
07-02-2012, 06:51 AM
All my recent posts in this thread disappeared. Now no one can see my useless statistics that I gathered on the percentages of junior members, members, senior members, people with more than 5 posts, users with one or less, etc.
I'm agreeing with PiLz-E on this. Those were very intriguing numbers.

_Lost_
07-02-2012, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't say that. I posted some really stupid/ignorant things back in the day. When I joined in '05, you either tried to fly under the radar until people got used to your username or you face endless ridicule from those around you until your posts improved or you came to hate it here. I was here for a while, drawing as little negative attention to myself as possible, then I left and came back, a year later, a lot more mature. Dexternumbers survived her NoOb phase, even. I honestly never expected her to come out on the other side of that.

but to be so generalistic about all new members
Its kind of the same concept. A lot of the time, new members post duplicate threads, don't use the search button, double post over and over, get hyper sensitive when defending the Offspring or their own argument, rack up lots of posts very quickly, and draw all sorts of negative attention to themselves. They befriend other annoying noobs and regularly derail threads into stupid jokes only they find funny or arguments about why its unfair that they are getting all this ridicule. While some people fly in under the radar and post intelligent arguments/comments/etc, most new members do not. There isn't some blanket rule that says all new members are bad, but there is a difference between being new and acting like a noob.

Al Coholic never was considered a noob.

WebDudette
07-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Al Coholic never was a noob though. I'd bet a testicle that he's an alt. Well, he's not so much an alt as he is the reincarnation of an old member.

Sara MZK
07-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Its kind of the same concept. A lot of the time, new members post duplicate threads, don't use the search button, double post over and over, get hyper sensitive when defending the Offspring or their own argument, rack up lots of posts very quickly, and draw all sorts of negative attention to themselves. They befriend other annoying noobs and regularly derail threads into stupid jokes only they find funny or arguments about why its unfair that they are getting all this ridicule. While some people fly in under the radar and post intelligent arguments/comments/etc, most new members do not. There isn't some blanket rule that says all new members are bad, but there is a difference between being new and acting like a noob.

Some of those things you've just mentioned though, long time members can be guilty of doing them as well. Although yes, new members are more likely to do those things. I joined these boards in 2009, and as far as I can recall, I was never reffered to by anybody here as a "noob", when I first joined, though I could be wrong about that.... lol

Also, my points here aren't really just about this messageboard, but messageboards in general. All new members on any board should be warmly welcomed, and treated graciously, until they actually give you good reason to start treating them differently. I just think the attitude that some have, that all new members must be given a hard time, or ignored, is quite pathetic, and also very immature.

Lizardus
07-02-2012, 09:34 AM

The world has grown cold, now that posts have gone away.

_Lost_
07-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Al Coholic never was a noob though. I'd bet a testicle that he's an alt. Well, he's not so much an alt as he is the reincarnation of an old member.
Twas a widely discussed matter when he joined, as I recall, but I suppose we'll never know for sure if we don't know by now.

Some of those things you've just mentioned though, long time members can be guilty of doing them as well. Although yes, new members are more likely to do those things. I joined these boards in 2009, and as far as I can recall, I was never reffered to by anybody here as a "noob", when I first joined, though I could be wrong about that.... lol
Those that still do that, are still noobs as far as I'm concerned. I don't know of many users that are all that annoying if they have been here more than a year or two(aside from iPunk). You don't spam the board with your idiocy, thus never drawing attention to the fact that you were new and/or have have a low post count. I get that you aren't just referring to this board. Its not necessary to point that out. The conversation still stays the same. Newbies, as a general concept, will never be welcomed with arms wide open, because of all the excessively obnoxious ones. If somebody joins and show some level of intelligence/posts replies with a little substance/doesn't start "So who is Gone Away about?" threads or "I hear tehy read teh boardz: HEY DEXTER" type threads, then they aren't a problem. If every noob were like that, then noob wouldn't be a term we all know and use.

Sidewinder
07-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Wasn't Al Coholic also TTiG? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Are you guys being sarcastic? I mean, I found them interesting, but I can't imagine they were interesting enough for you to recall fondly in your post a few days later.

or "I hear tehy read teh boardz: HEY DEXTER" type threads,
C'mon, that was a long time ago. I apologized.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Wasn't Al Coholic also TTiG? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

I'm not sure if that's ever been disclosed, but I've always suspected that.

Isolated Fury
07-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Are you guys being sarcastic? I mean, I found them interesting, but I can't imagine they were interesting enough for you to recall fondly in your post a few days later.
I wholeheartedly, 100% appreciated the effort that went into making those posts. I also found them to be informative, creative, and captivating.

jacknife737
07-02-2012, 11:46 AM
When i first joined, i more or less lurked for the first year or so of being a member. I probably only had like maybe 500 posts by the end of my second year.

Most new users rarely fit in well right away,it takes a while to get a better feel for the bbs' culture/in jokes, ect. Plus most new users all tend to blend together until others realize they have worthwhile personalities/posting trends.

Sidewinder
07-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Especially if their name is Offspring related. Not insulting anyone; it just kinda is.

holland25
07-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Well to be fair, you would say that though, wouldn't you? hehe :p Okay, some noobs are stupid, (but then some long time members can also be stupid too) but to be so generalistic about all new members, hardly makes you look very clever either. For me at least, someone needs to visibly show actions and an attitude which invites derision, and/or being ignored. Simply being new should not be an automatic pre-requisite for being given that treatment.

I never said that, I don't generalize, there are always 3-4 new members that don't suck.

This.

Llamas
07-02-2012, 01:53 PM
I have lowish postcount, I think.

How many posts did you have as all about eve?

I was a horrendous noob. I was picked on and tested to the high heavens. And it helped me develop into a much more productive, interesting member here. I see no issue with giving noobs a hard time. Some are awesome right off the bat, while others need a little tough love.

OffspringFreakess
07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
i've been active on/off since I joined the new boards here. back on the old bbs I was insanely active (and yes, picked on for the first year or so, it's just a general n00b thing) but I made a few good friends on it. I get bored with most message boards these days because honestly, the good topics are rare. People start posting the same shit over and over, and it gets dull. Not too many interesting topics going on (as far as actual band talk). But I like to swing by and say hello and chat it up here and there. :-p

Sara MZK
07-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I was picked on and tested to the high heavens. And it helped me develop into a much more productive, interesting member here. I see no issue with giving noobs a hard time. Some are awesome right off the bat, while others need a little tough love.

I think a lot of long time members, and those with high post counts on some messageboards do develop a superiority complex, and actually gain some gratification from picking on new members. You may see no issue with with giving noobs a hard time as a matter of course, rather than if they truly deserve that, but I definitely don't share that view. I guess to put it very simply, I've always tried to treat others as I myself wish to be treated. I'd rather not be treated like crap simply for being new (even if I was actually a long time fan of the band prior to joining the boards), so therefore, I extend the same courtesy to newbies on boards where I have been a long time member.

To be honest, in the vast majority of circumstances, new members who are just trolls, or are going to be troublemakers, it's very quickly apparent that they are going to be that type of poster. I'm all for advocating caution where newbies are concerned, and I myself do so in certain instances, but being crappy to them just because they are new... I don't think there's any need for that at all really.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I wholeheartedly, 100% appreciated the effort that went into making those posts. I also found them to be informative, creative, and captivating.
Cool. Thanks. I'll do it again some time.

I think giving some noobs a rough time can be a good thing (and I say this as a partial-noob still). My first posts were ridiculously dumb and irritating to most and I'm glad I got made fun of a bit and put in my place. If everyone just ignored it or tried to be kind I wouldn't have done well here.

Sara MZK
07-02-2012, 03:27 PM
I think giving some noobs a rough time can be a good thing (and I say this as a partial-noob still). My first posts were ridiculously dumb and irritating to most and I'm glad I got made fun of a bit and put in my place. If everyone just ignored it or tried to be kind I wouldn't have done well here.

How are you a noob? I joined about 1 and a half years before you, yet you have around 6 times the number of posts I do! lol Though I guess it depends what you think consitutes a "noob", is it a low post count, or your join date?

I can see your point, and agree with it to an extent, I just don't feel like that is treatment that should necessarily be meted out to all newbies, regardless of the contents of their posts. You say you made "ridiculously dumb and irritating posts" (something which I can't comment on as I didn't see them... lol), which if that is true, then fair enough. However, if someone is new, but doesn't make dumb posts, but is still treated harshly just for being a newbie, then they'll likely just think the people there are assholes, and they probably won't stick around.

On all the messageboards I've been on, I was only ever given "noob treatment" on one of them, and that was merely because I was new, and no other reason. Had other members not been kind to me, and told the guy haranguing me for being "a noob" to shut up and stop being a jerk, I likely wouldn't have stuck around there for long. If a noob is acting like an idiot, then yep, they should be put in their place. But I don't have time for those who bully people only because they are new, and for no other reason.

WebDudette
07-02-2012, 04:44 PM
I was serious. Statistics and percentages are interesting, I found those particularly interesting because of the sheer number of no contributing members. I suppose if you did that for any large site you'd probably find relatively similar information though.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-02-2012, 04:44 PM
This is to Sara:
I see your point now. I was thinking purely of the noobs similar to how I was when I first joined. But yes, we should never be mean to a newcomer solely on the basis that they're new.

I consider join date as what determines a noob.

This is to PilZ-E:
Thanks. You're probably right. There is so much spam on the internet that it probably finds every forum. Most of those accounts were probably bots.

Llamas
07-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Sara, who here is talking about automatically picking on any new member simply because they're new? The thread creator was saying she has a tendency to skip/not read posts by new members (which obviously means she doesn't pick on them), and those of us talking about giving people a hard time are only talking about those who kind of "need" it - not just any new member. I never gave you a hard time, but kickhim needed a little nudge, and I may have been a little hard on him... but now he's cool. I'd still consider both of you to be new, though.

_Lost_
07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
but being crappy to them just because they are new... I don't think there's any need for that at all really.
In this conversation, you are generalizing our comments and applying them to the internet as a whole. I think I personally drew a solid line between ignoring/mocking stupid newbs and acknowledging/not caring whether decent posters are new or not. In general, I skim over posts of new members until they've proven they post things worth reading. And like Llamas said, to me, you are still pretty damn new, but you aren't getting treated unfairly in anyway. And I know that for years, maybe still, I was new to those who were on the boards before this one.

those of us talking about giving people a hard time are only talking about those who kind of "need" it -
A lot of the people still here got a hard time for being annoying. Dexternumbers was absolutely obnoxious when she joined, but she matured and started fitting in a lot better. Her posts are more articulate, she doesn't post nonsense, and she also has learned when its pointless to try and argue. Admittedly, I posted threads with titles like "HEY DEXTER!"

You don't get a hard time because you don't get Newbie Syndrome and annoy the fuck out of everybody.

I feel like a broken record saying this again, but there is a difference. Please quit acting like we are saying there isn't.

mrconeman
07-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Considering how long some of the members of this forum have been coming here, I think it's pretty much longer than most boards until you are considered not to be a "noob".

In saying that though, there isn't anything wrong with being new here. If someone joined today, and was posting articulate posts, generating and contributing to interesting discussion, I would treat them exactly the same way as I treat anyone else on here, 10 posts, or 10,000 posts. Makes no difference to me.

What matters is not the number of your post count, but the content of your character.
I remember giving Kickhim a little bit of a hard time, but he kind of didn't really say anything retarded, he just expressed his own opinion, that I *strongly* disagreed with. But he was always civil, even when I started prodding him with ridicule, I really respect that. However he has 1000+ posts since March, which is fucking ludicrous. He's made more posts in 4/5 months, than I would make in two years.

Sara MZK
07-02-2012, 10:11 PM
This is to Sara:
I see your point now. I was thinking purely of the noobs similar to how I was when I first joined. But yes, we should never be mean to a newcomer solely on the basis that they're new.

That's okay, and that is definitely the right attitude to have. :)

In this conversation, you are generalizing our comments and applying them to the internet as a whole. I think I personally drew a solid line between ignoring/mocking stupid newbs and acknowledging/not caring whether decent posters are new or not. In general, I skim over posts of new members until they've proven they post things worth reading. And like Llamas said, to me, you are still pretty damn new, but you aren't getting treated unfairly in anyway. And I know that for years, maybe still, I was new to those who were on the boards before this one.

Absolutely not. Almost every messageboard I've ever been on, including this one, has issues with the the things I mentioned. Some are just worse for it than others. I never ever claimed I'd been treated unfarily here, and I actually stated that I was never given a hard time when I first joined these boards earlier in this thread. I have simply been commenting on the "anti-noob mentality" in general, (this is also something I have stated earlier in this thread) but you appear to have taken it as a wholesale attack on this board and also yourself. You shouldn't be doing that though, as that hasn't been my intention at all.

You don't get a hard time because you don't get Newbie Syndrome and annoy the fuck out of everybody.

I feel like a broken record saying this again, but there is a difference. Please quit acting like we are saying there isn't.

You are taking this way too personally, and your tone is needlessly aggressive and defensive. You are taking things I'm saying completely out of context, and are also taking issue with me on things that I've never even said. Nobody else in this thread has taken anything I've said here to heart, or as a personal attack, yet you have chosen to do so. Why, I don't know, but you should at least read what I'm saying properly, and in the way it was intended.

Considering how long some of the members of this forum have been coming here, I think it's pretty much longer than most boards until you are considered not to be a "noob".

In saying that though, there isn't anything wrong with being new here. If someone joined today, and was posting articulate posts, generating and contributing to interesting discussion, I would treat them exactly the same way as I treat anyone else on here, 10 posts, or 10,000 posts. Makes no difference to me.

What matters is not the number of your post count, but the content of your character.

Exactly! You are totally right, and I couldn't have put it any better myself. :)

@ilovellamas: Well, I think even ignoring new posters is a bit silly, though it isn't picking on them, you're right. However, I never claimed that it was. As for still considering me to be new, well, I consider myself to be new as well. lol But that's probably because (as you can obviously tell :p) even though it's almost 3 years ago since I joined, I haven't really been a regular poster all throughout that time. I do feel at home here though whenever I come back. xD

_Lost_
07-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Except that you are. I did say that you aren't getting targeted for things. I said it twice and I really don't understand why you took that to mean "You may think you are being treated unfairly but you aren't". I was, in fact, agreeing with you because like I said "You don't get Newbie Syndrome and annoy the fuck out of people". Because of this that or the other thing. How is that me being defensive? We are having a conversation about our general attitudes towards new people and then towards NoObs. Not the actions of other people or other boards. You say things like "I think being crappy to members because they are new is wrong" as if we are talking about all new members getting the same treatment whether or not they are decent posters. I don't take it as a personal attack on me. You just keep arguing that being mean to new members is bad as if the people in this thread are saying that is isn't. While you may be replying to "anti-noob mentality" as a whole, all of your posts are in amongst posts about these boards and these members, and thus you aren't contributing to the conversation. You just keep saying its wrong over and over. You definitely aren't replying to my thread where I clarified what I meant by anti-noob mentality. You are, in fact, generalizing the discussion beyond the scope of the topic, to other boards where everyone is harassed for being new and only a few make it to the other side. You are refuting an argument that isn't being made here.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
However he has 1000+ posts since March, which is fucking ludicrous. He's made more posts in 4/5 months, than I would make in two years.
Yeah, sorry about that.

mrconeman
07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Nothing to apologise for, I wasn't saying it as an insult. Just pointing out that it's crazy.

Mechagodzilla2
07-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Cool. Thanks. I'll do it again some time.

So that's why you used to bash me.
Godxirrrrrra!

Sara MZK
07-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Except that you are. I did say that you aren't getting targeted for things. I said it twice and I really don't understand why you took that to mean "You may think you are being treated unfairly but you aren't". I was, in fact, agreeing with you because like I said "You don't get Newbie Syndrome and annoy the fuck out of people".

By keeping saying that I wasn't being targeted for things, the only logical conclusion that I could draw from that, was that you somehow thought that I was complaining about being targeted, so you felt the need to set me straight. On the last thing you said, I was confused at first when I read it, but then realised you were agreeing with me. Still, I don't see why there was a need to tell me that I wasn't being targeted, when I had already stated earlier in the thread that I hadn't been picked on (as far as I can recall) when I first joined. I do admit mistaking what you meant with that sentence inititally, though after about 5 minutes I worked out my mistake. lol But I kept my reply as I felt it was still relevant to the sentence you made directly after that.

Because of this that or the other thing. How is that me being defensive? We are having a conversation about our general attitudes towards new people and then towards NoObs. Not the actions of other people or other boards. You say things like "I think being crappy to members because they are new is wrong" as if we are talking about all new members getting the same treatment whether or not they are decent posters.

Because you seemed to be antagonised by my posts in this thread, whereas nobody else was reacting in that way to them. It seemed like in some way, I had upset you with what I was saying, when that wasn't my intention at all. There was nothing in your original post that expressly stated "anti-noob mentality" as a wider topic was not to be discussed, and besides, I can't see why you'd be creating a topic like that specifically about this forum, unless you thought there was an issue with it.

I don't take it as a personal attack on me. You just keep arguing that being mean to new members is bad as if the people in this thread are saying that is isn't. While you may be replying to "anti-noob mentality" as a whole, all of your posts are in amongst posts about these boards and these members, and thus you aren't contributing to the conversation. You just keep saying its wrong over and over. You definitely aren't replying to my thread where I clarified what I meant by anti-noob mentality. You are, in fact, generalizing the discussion beyond the scope of the topic, to other boards where everyone is harassed for being new and only a few make it to the other side. You are refuting an argument that isn't being made here.

What you clarified as "anti-noob mentality", is just merely on a scale of what that term encapsulates and means. It's definitely on the low end of it, but again, nowhere did you expressly state that anything beyond that was not up for discussion. Perhaps I did go beyond the scope of the topic as you intended, but I can't really be blamed for that when it was not made clear in the original post that I would be doing so by making the points I made. And some members in this thread actually spoke to me directly in the thread, and most said that they agreed with me. So I think I definitely was contributing to the conversation, or at least other members thought so. I apologise if I took the topic into an area that you did not wish it to go to, but it was certainly not my intention to do so, and nor did I wish to upset or antagonise you in anyway, and if I have, again, I apologise. I certainly did not mean for the topic to descend into this, and I regret my part in that, even though it was completely unintentional.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-03-2012, 03:06 PM
So that's why you used to bash me.
Godxirrrrrra!
The word "bash" is a bit of an extreme.

Llamas
07-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Sara, you know, I had no issues with you whatsoever and found you to be a pretty okay poster until this thread. At this moment, you're heading down a similar path to the one Lord Phidias headed down. You saw how that ended up. My suggestion to you is to drop this discussion now. Don't try to get in the last word, but instead just don't post in this thread anymore. And I say this to you with respect and without bashing, so you could even appreciate that.

WebDudette
07-03-2012, 07:10 PM
I just want to jump in here and point out that any done to new members in the last few years is nothing compared to what was going on in 05-07.

I also want to say that while I often skip people I don't recognize, I also call out established members. I don't think there is anything wrong with a genuine argument. I skip T's posts all the time, by the way. That guy talks waaaaaay to much.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-03-2012, 08:49 PM
I think there's just a giant misunderstanding here. Sara was contributing to the broad topic of dealing with noobs, and Lost interpreted it as a reply to the initial post, and everything fell apart. From reading over this thread, I don't think blame should be assigned to anyone. Sara made it a little confusing by posting about her attitude towards an anti-noob mentality which differs from Lost's. Let's all be friends.

WebDudette
07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
I actually stopped reading their discussion a while ago, hahaha.

mrconeman
07-03-2012, 10:08 PM
I just want to jump in here and point out that any done to new members in the last few years is nothing compared to what was going on in 05-07.

This. So very much, this.

This is why I find it ridiculous that people complain about being 'bullied' on this forum, they have no fucking idea what used to go on. It's also funny how we're talking about not ignoring people, back in the day here there were some users who probably would have given anything to be ignored by most people compared to what did happen to them.

Sara MZK
07-03-2012, 11:17 PM
I think there's just a giant misunderstanding here. Sara was contributing to the broad topic of dealing with noobs, and Lost interpreted it as a reply to the initial post, and everything fell apart. From reading over this thread, I don't think blame should be assigned to anyone. Sara made it a little confusing by posting about her attitude towards an anti-noob mentality which differs from Lost's. Let's all be friends.

That is all it was, a misunderstanding, something which I have taken full responsibility for. If that isn't enough for some people, then there's really not much I can do about it, other than avoid them in future. I find it quite incredible why anyone would not want to be friends with me on the basis of my posts in this thread, especially after I'd apologised for causing the problem in the first place. Thank you for your post and being understanding and rational about it though.

@ilovellamas: I really can't understand why you decided to chime in with that hostile, and unfriendly (and wholly unncessary) "warning" to me AFTER I'd apologised, and taken the blame for what happened. To say you now have issues with me and no longer see me as an "okay poster" after I took the high road and apologised for disrupting this thread (wholly unintentionally though), just stuns me quite frankly, and makes me see you in a wholly different light than I used to. I have no idea what happened to Lord Phidias (I don't even know who you're talking about), but I'm guessing it wasn't something very pleasant anyway. There was absolutely no need to reply to me in that fashion after I'd already said sorry for causing problems in this thread, which was completely unintentional. Why fan the flames and make them even worse after I'd already put them out?

SåS
07-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Threads like this make me think of how different my life is now compared to when I joined these boards in 06, especially the thought of how myself and Lost_ used to be good friends, that shit is crazy.

WebDudette
07-06-2012, 03:14 AM
cokeaholic and I used to be great friends. Now we just have butt sex on the regular, if you know what I mean.

Llamas
07-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Threads like this make me think of how different my life is now compared to when I joined these boards in 06, especially the thought of how myself and Lost_ used to be good friends, that shit is crazy.

What's your old username?

WebDudette
07-06-2012, 05:22 AM

the old username was 'ilovellamas' directed by M. Night Shamamammamalayan.

T-6005
07-06-2012, 06:12 AM
_Lost_ was actually Bruce Willis the whole time.

WebDudette
07-06-2012, 06:38 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_igHosxpBPGU/SGEvrpV6p7I/AAAAAAAAACM/CWTDSA0-hSc/s320/sixthsense.jpg

Aussie Dan
07-11-2012, 02:28 AM
I'm new. And just thought that I'd pop in and say hello. I like to think that I don't go around saying stupid things, just to annoy people. I'm not the most sociable of people, however. So you won't see me posting a bazillion things. Anywho, I look forward to chatting more. Seeya later

My Name Was Taken
07-11-2012, 02:30 AM
Welcome, Daniel :) I'm sure you're not anti-noob as you ARE a noob :)

Aussie Dan
07-11-2012, 02:31 AM
Why thank-you. And yes, that is most likely true. But hey, we all need to start somewhere :D

Rhino
07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Anti-NoOb mentality...

No.

Fuck noobs, this thread is invalid.

SåS
07-11-2012, 09:54 PM

A very long time ago back in the junior days, I was sk8rocka.

_Lost_
07-11-2012, 11:54 PM
hey joel!

SåS
07-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Wow! I am overwhelmed at the fact that you remember my name!! This will be awkward if I'm incorrect but your name is Karen yeah?

Paint_It_Black
10-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Even though I've been away from here for a while (or perhaps largely due to it), I find myself skimming over posts by anyone who has either a A)low post count or B)joined recently. I often do it without even realizing it. I'm just like "oh, he hasn't been here long. Wtf does he know?"

I was doing exactly that when this thread caught my eye. I can remember when I still thought of you as "too new" to really pay attention to, but I guess this is proof those days are well and truly gone.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 09:21 PM
I don't know why I didn't join the forum years ago. I frequented the website as far back as 2003.