PDA

View Full Version : Mending a relationship

dexter12296566
06-25-2012, 08:56 AM
My boyfriend and I have been dating almost eight months. He has been my best friend for years and he was the first friend I ever had and he is my first and only boyfriend. We've been arguing a lot and he gets angry with me a lot. I get upset with him a lot. During the end of the school year, we were both pretty stressed out and we figured once things were less stressful, it would change. It hasn't. It seems to be getting worse. I'm really scared he'll leave because of the way I act. I know I can be hard to take sometimes. I just don't want to lose him. I've liked him since I was 13. He's always liked me too. What can I do to fix things? I know that I can be a little bit clingy sometimes, but I don't know how to change it. I know I'm irrational about things but I don't know how to change that either. Will you guys help me? I want serious advice on what to do to try and make things better.

Jojan
06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Seek real help from real people whose job it is to help you. People on the Internet are usually wrong. Event this might be wrong.

dexter12296566
06-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Seek real help from real people who's job it is to help you. People on the Internet are usually wrong. Event this might be wrong.

I figured some might be better than nothing. Some people on here have to have some experience in relationships.
I always talked to the guidance counselor but school is out for the summer.

Llamas
06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Seek real help from real people whose job it is to help you. People on the Internet are usually wrong. Even this might be wrong.

Fix'd.

dexternumbers, aren't you like 15?

_Lost_
06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
I know that when me and Wil fight a lot, its usually over one big thing that is really the problem, but it causes us to fight about little stuff we don't really care about. It never ends till one of us goes "wait a minute... what is really going on?"

I don't really know you Cassidy or else I could offer more specific advice. You really should talk to a friend who knows you and your boyfriend and the relationship dynamics you two have.

I agree with the sentiments implied in llamas post. Aren't you a little young to be worried about what I assume you consider a 'serious' boyfriend?

dexter12296566
06-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I know that when me and Wil fight a lot, its usually over one big thing that is really the problem, but it causes us to fight about little stuff we don't really care about. It never ends till one of us goes "wait a minute... what is really going on?"

I don't really know you Cassidy or else I could offer more specific advice. You really should talk to a friend who knows you and your boyfriend and the relationship dynamics you two have.

I agree with the sentiments implied in llamas post. Aren't you a little young to be worried about what I assume you consider a 'serious' boyfriend?

Well, I think I have the same problem. It is one problem that shows up in other stuff. And actually, I turn 18 in two months so no, I am not 15. Yesterday was 3 years since I joined and I was 14 then...

I want to talk to him about the problem but he won't hang out cause he's mad at me and he doesn't answer his phone or respond to texts cause he's almost out of minutes...

_Lost_
06-25-2012, 09:40 AM
I know that you aren't 15, but 17 is still very similar.

If there is one significant problem and you know its there, but you two avoid talking about it, then it will never get resolved. If he won't answer his phone, go to his house. People used to do that sort of thing before texting.

dexter12296566
06-25-2012, 09:50 AM
I know that you aren't 15, but 17 is still very similar.

If there is one significant problem and you know its there, but you two avoid talking about it, then it will never get resolved. If he won't answer his phone, go to his house. People used to do that sort of thing before texting.

He'd be so pissed. He wouldn't answer the door.

_Lost_
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Then how on earth do you expect to be "mending a relationship"?

Only solution to fix a problem is to work on it. You seem to know what the problem is and you need to talk to him about it. If you don't talk to him, then everything stays the same. Approach him in a non angry, calm manner. His parents aren't going to ignore you knocking on the door over and over, no matter how angry he may be. Use that to your advantage.

mrconeman
06-25-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't mean this to sound cruel or brash or anything like that, but I'm guessing your boyfriend is probably 17 or around the same age as you also?

It sounds to me like he's ignoring you because he doesn't have the balls to tell you it's over.

If that is the case, try not to let it get you down, you're young, and relationships you start when you're 13 are *extremely* unlikely to last into adulthood. That applies to friendships, not just romantic relationships. So much changes about a person from their early teens to their adulthood that the likeliness of still being compatible with the same people, who have also changed is pretty much non existent.

edit: I would also disregard the information about knocking on his door over and over, because not only will he think you are far more clingy than you already think he believes, but his parents will think you're insane and probably forbid him seeing you too.

_Lost_
06-25-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't mean to imply that she should stand there and bang on the door over and over and over and over. I've always been told if you knock on someone's door 2 or 3 times and no one answers, its rude beyond that point. However, my point was, if she knocks on the door and his parents are home, they will, at the very least, answer the door.

You have a good point. If there is a problem and people want to fix it, they will make an effort to fix it, not ignore you. If he ignores you, maybe he doesn't want it to be fixed.

(How many times can Lost say 'fix' in one sentence?)

Lord Phidias
06-25-2012, 10:37 AM
This is what happens when a teenage girl asks for relationship advice, people are actually nice, even The Jojan in his own way, and when an infamous (not infamous at the moment) male member in his mid twenties does the same, he gets mocked and receives but little help...

Btw, everything can be solved, just when both parties really want to solve it, unless there are irreconciliable differences between you two. Good luck.

Llamas
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
This is what happens when a teenage girl asks for relationship advice, people are actually nice, even The Jojan in his own way, and when an infamous (not infamous at the moment) male member in his mid twenties does the same, he gets mocked and receives but little help...

Oh dear GOD. Are you incapable of getting over this? Are you incapable of seeing the MASSIVE DIFFERENCES between this thread and yours? Are you incapable of seeing the MASSIVE DIFFERENCES between dexternumbers' and your posting histories here? Jesus.

Blitz!
06-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Why are you making this thread about you, when clearly it isn't

mrconeman
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Let's just ignore fideodick's attempts at making everything about himself and move right along. Seriously, I implore anyone that reads this, to ignore whatever his next raging pile of attention seeking faggotry is in this thread. Please. For all of our sake. Just ignore whatever it is. I don't even mean do like I'm doing and draw attention to it, I'm asking you to completely over look it, do not respond in any way, no matter how infuriatingly stupid it might be. I realise I'm being hypocritical in this post, but I'm willing to be that guy if it makes everyone else stop talking to him about this beyond this point.

Anyway. Yeah, I mean I'm not saying he definitely wants it to be over, sometimes people just need a little time to themselves, I honestly think your best bet is to give him a little time to cool off, and approach him calmly (weather via phone, text, email or in person) and see what he really thinks.

Isolated Fury
06-25-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't mean this to sound cruel or brash or anything like that, but I'm guessing your boyfriend is probably 17 or around the same age as you also?

It sounds to me like he's ignoring you because he doesn't have the balls to tell you it's over.

If that is the case, try not to let it get you down, you're young, and relationships you start when you're 13 are *extremely* unlikely to last into adulthood. That applies to friendships, not just romantic relationships. So much changes about a person from their early teens to their adulthood that the likeliness of still being compatible with the same people, who have also changed is pretty much non existent.

edit: I would also disregard the information about knocking on his door over and over, because not only will he think you are far more clingy than you already think he believes, but his parents will think you're insane and probably forbid him seeing you too.
This. A lot of this.

High school relationships don't last. Since yours started at a very young age, it has an even smaller chance of working. People are not who they really are in high school. You grow. You mature. You turn into the person you're supposed to be. "Loving" your boyfriend in 2012 probably sounds great to you. Loving the person your current boyfriend will be at the age of 24 is completely different. I won't be mean. I won't be rude. I feel like you need to either cut your losses and break up with him or get over the heartache and wait for him to break up with you. Either way, it's probably inevitable. It will hurt a lot more later.

Don't invest more of your time and energy into this than you already have.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Fix'd.

Pshhh... Jojan doesn't make mistakes. I thought he did that on purpose to demonstrate his point that some advice will be "wrong" in this thread. I thought that was why he used the incorrect spelling.

Oh dear GOD.
I can't believe I thought you were talking about General Offspring Discussion at first. I spend too much time here.

dexter12296566
06-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Well you guys are gonna say 'I told you it won't last then' but he is 15. He has had more relationship experience than me though, so he knows what he likes.

I was afraid of that.

And yeah, his dad wasn't home first of all and he already isn't too fond of me. He thinks I am a bad influence for some insane reason(I honestly don't get it). He isn't with his mom until later. I'm not necessarily sure he wants to break up though, like you said, it might not be the case. I think he might need space, which is fine. He did invite me to his aunts wedding in September, already.

But I really do appreciate the advice. I think at this point I'll probably just give him space until he tried to talk to me, because I think he will. Once in the past(about 4 months ago), something happened and I gave him the cold shoulder and he kind of became the clingy one. Thank you guys, a lot.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-25-2012, 02:25 PM
15 year old guys typically aren't completely mature yet. It sounds like he's the one at fault.

_Lost_
06-25-2012, 02:53 PM
15? Seriously? Aren't girls supposed to be the more mature ones? Generally speaking, guys are about 2 years behind girls in maturity at that age. No one is "experienced" in relationships at 15. Good god girl!

dexter12296566
06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
15 year old guys typically aren't completely mature yet. It sounds like he's the one at fault.
You guys know that I have Autism and maturity issues. I know he is immature but I am too. I'm hoping he is the one, rather I'm the one for him. I know I love him. He says he loves me and I am sure he does. I'm really hoping that if I give it time, things will start to change just because he will mature a bit more and so will I. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic with the "he's at fault" part but if you aren't, my response is, I am not going to pin everything on him. Relationships have problems and not one person can be to blame. My mom always blamed problems on my dad and I think that was what contributed to their divorce. I always said I would always look for what I have done as well, so I can change too. I don't want to be like my parents and I know I need to change, too. Owen and me both come from divorced families and our dads are both, not to be mean, jerks, so neither of us really have the best relationship role models, so to speak. I'm basing my entire part in fault in not acting like my parents who always blamed each other, never changed how they acted or apologized, so nothing ever changed. At this point, I just need to find out how to not be as clingy and deal with it better when we don't talk for a while. I think that is my major problem right there. I tend to get on his nerves a bit. That's what started the argument last night. The other thing I need help with is figuring out how to let things go and not be so over sensitive.

dexter12296566
06-25-2012, 02:58 PM
15? Seriously? Aren't girls supposed to be the more mature ones? Generally speaking, guys are about 2 years behind girls in maturity at that age. No one is "experienced" in relationships at 15. Good god girl!

Sorry to post twice in a row. This actually kind of amused me in a way. I guess I know that, sort of.(Sort of). I am about 4 or 5 years immature with some things, though so it seems like that part kind of evens out.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-25-2012, 03:28 PM
I just wanted to congratulate Dexter5418613354 for handling this so maturely. I really didn't expect something so calm, serious, and something that actually makes sense. And yeah most ppl took my advice since I saw this thread too late

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
You guys know that I have Autism and maturity issues.

This is news to me. I have only been here for around 15 months.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic with the "he's at fault" part
I wasn't being sarcastic. I just thought that him ignoring you instead of talking it out would assign him more of the blame.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I know it's such a cliché, but in my experience this is a fairly common rule: if this is your first real relationship but his isn't, generally speaking, you're gonna be way more into him than he is into you. I don't even know where I'm going with this, it's just an observation. I guess you should try to either train yourself to let go of him, because, you know, other fish (again, sorry for the cliché), or kind of "man up" and show him that he can come out of this as the one who lost you.

dexter12296566
06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
I know it's such a cliché, but in my experience this is a fairly common rule: if this is your first real relationship but his isn't, generally speaking, you're gonna be way more into him than he is into you. I don't even know where I'm going with this, it's just an observation. I guess you should try to either train yourself to let go of him, because, you know, other fish (again, sorry for the cliché), or kind of "man up" and show him that he can come out of this as the one who lost you.

Well I am really hoping no one has to lose anyone. He has had two other girlfriends. One quite a while back and one last year a few times. She was just a bitch who broke his heart not to mention me and her have hated each other for years on end now. He's had real relationships but I'm the first to last this long. The first time we dated about 14 months ago, he was the clingy one and I wasn't really into it. I was a little weirded out because he was my best friend. Then in November we started dating again and he was still like that. As I became more involved in the relationship, he became less. Then I gave him the cold shoulder and he became clingy again. Then we were "fine" again and he stopped. I am really confused by this.

It seems like he thinks he'll lose me and he tries harder but when he knows he isn't going to, he doesn't try all that hard.

Llamas
06-25-2012, 05:03 PM
I just wanted to congratulate Dexter5418613354 for handling this so maturely. I really didn't expect something so calm, serious, and something that actually makes sense. And yeah most ppl took my advice since I saw this thread too late

Have to agree. She's clearly grown up a good amount.

Godxilla
06-25-2012, 05:23 PM
I feel sorry for you. Right now, the 'ball is in his court', so to speak. Wait for him to reconnect with you. Otherwise, if you keep trying to establish contact with him again, he'll feel sort of like you're 'stalking' him, or at least being too clingy. No matter what happens, be happy for the times you had, and not sad for the times that you can never have anymore. Stay mentally tough throughout this. Good luck.

Lord Phidias
06-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Oh dear GOD. Are you incapable of getting over this? Are you incapable of seeing the MASSIVE DIFFERENCES between this thread and yours? Are you incapable of seeing the MASSIVE DIFFERENCES between dexternumbers' and your posting histories here? Jesus.

I get the feeling you dislike me a lot, that's a shame.

Anyways, wasn't making it about me, I just pointed out the fact that people tends to be nicer and more gentle towards girls than to other dudes, even if what both seek is positive feedback, which I didn't receive too much, even when you didn't hate me yet. I'm not gonna lie, it was kind of an accusation, and I was also like "mmhmmm... fuckers...", but wasn't expecting your rants, guess you guys will never provide partial ears to my speech.

Do you guys realize that with every little thing I post you ALL tend to fucking overreact?? You are the ones getting mad and accusing me of things you are actually doing, you should listen to Goldilocks and completely ignore the fucking shit out of me, I don't seek responses nor rants about my behavior here, I'm confident of what I'm saying and that you are all biased against me, whatever...

Sorry for using this space to speak my mind, but it would be silly to create a thread about this.

06-25-2012, 07:12 PM
How do you put someone on the ignore list?

Little_Miss_1565
06-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Really good advice here for Dexternumbers. I would add that it's tempting to feel like this relationship is super important, because it's relatively early on for you. But a good lesson for you to learn now is that everyone deserves to be with someone who wants to be with them, autistic people included. You don't want to have your wagons hitched to this guy any longer, because it means you won't be ready for when a good guy for you comes along. And when a guy doesn't want you to come over to his house, won't answer texts or phonecalls...move on up and move on out.

Please take a moment to reread Coneman's post, y'all.

AllinAll: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/what_is_ignorelist

dexter12296566
06-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Really good advice here for Dexternumbers. I would add that it's tempting to feel like this relationship is super important, because it's relatively early on for you. But a good lesson for you to learn now is that everyone deserves to be with someone who wants to be with them, autistic people included.

As true as this is, I do think he wants to be with me. I honestly love him too much(age doesn't matter) to let him go. It would hurt me a lot if he left me, but if he doesn't want to be with me I will wait for him to leave me. I can't do it. Plus, if I do and he does really love me like he says he does(I think he does) and he is just immature right now, it will hurt him. I'm not trying to argue your advice, I just don't think letting go is a good idea.

Edit: There was also something I wanted advice on that I know I can change, I just don't know how. I know this is not all his fault. I want to make it easier for him too, by changing what I am at fault for. I know this sounds remarkably stupid but how can I be less clingy? It seems simple enough but it is actually hard for me when I don't talk to him. I also need to find ways to take things a little bit less personally. I am over sensitive and I don't quite know how to change. I know these things seem easy but they are struggles for me and I figured somebody on here must have similar issues that they have gotten past.

Little_Miss_1565
06-25-2012, 08:46 PM
As true as this is, I do think he wants to be with me. I honestly love him too much(age doesn't matter) to let him go. It would hurt me a lot if he left me, but if he doesn't want to be with me I will wait for him to leave me. I can't do it. Plus, if I do and he does really love me like he says he does(I think he does) and he is just immature right now, it will hurt him. I'm not trying to argue your advice, I just don't think letting go is a good idea.

Oh no girl. If he won't answer your phone calls, he doesn't love you. If you don't want to go over to his house because it would piss him off, he doesn't love you. And if he doesn't love you, you shouldn't be with him. A tough lesson to learn is that just because you love someone doesn't mean you should be together. Love yourself first and most.

06-25-2012, 09:11 PM
+1
fucking10characters

_Lost_
06-25-2012, 10:12 PM
First off, I think people don't have enough conversations in person anymore. I hate it when people want to have a big discussion via text. Or email. Or instant messenger. Or whatever. People don't feel the need to hold themselves accountable when you aren't face to face. They say things that they wouldn't say in person. I still stand by the "go to his house" thing I said earlier. Go to his house, knock on the door, and make him face you in person. If he is just mad, you can talk it out. And Sarah is right. I don't care how big a fight we just had, if I say "I love you", Wil always says it back, even if we can't stand the sight of each other. If he won't talk to you, then it really is time for you to let go.

Don't argue the "autistic and immature" angle. You have grown up A LOT in the three years you've been posting on here. Other people have remarked about it in this thread and elsewhere. In your posts, you sound like a 17 year old girl. This guy is 15. 15! I've never met a fifteen year old boy that acts like anything other than a fifteen year old boy.

dexter12296566
06-25-2012, 11:26 PM
To be fair, if I say I love you to him, he ALWAYS says it back too. No matter what. Same with me. I feel like the things he does when things go well almost cancel it out. I know it doesn't, but it seems that way. We argue and we aren't getting along at the moment but he really is a sweet guy and I do love him.

_Lost_
06-25-2012, 11:45 PM
If he is ignoring you, he isn't saying it back...

Godxilla
06-26-2012, 07:37 AM
How do you put someone on the ignore list?

You go to user CP, click edit ignore list, and type in Lord Phidias. Easy as 1 2 3.

T-6005
06-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Reading this thread made me throw up.

Because I'm already sick and the color scheme must have set me off. Sorry about that.

In any case, the advice people have given here is pretty basic, sensible stuff. It's also honest, and allows for the adult possibility that things may not last.

It's a difficult step to take to realize that things are - or might be - over at this juncture, but realizing that possibility is already an important step down the road to emotional maturity and stability. Hell, it's something even most adults don't have a decent handle on. People may not always be honest with you, but you can always make efforts to be in touch with what you yourself are actually feeling about the state of affairs.

dexter12296566
06-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Reading this thread made me throw up.

Because I'm already sick and the color scheme must have set me off. Sorry about that.

This... It made me laugh way harder than it should have...

Alison
06-26-2012, 05:02 PM
I think you really have to sit down with him and talk it through. Completely. And if he doesn't agree to that, then tell him where to go.

Me and my boyfriend were having pretty big problems - well, he thought I had cheated on him (I hadn't) and he never mentioned it and let it eat him up until he finally blew up and went crazy at me. And he never really got over that until one day I called over and we talked about everything that pissed us off, everything we felt insecure about with regards to each other and so on and on and on, until everything was off our chests, and we've been perfect ever since. Even better than before.

But you need him to want to sort things out, otherwise it's pointless. And by what you're saying it seems pretty pointless. If ye are still having problems now, since December, I'd say let it go, not worth the worry and stress.

dexter12296566
06-26-2012, 06:12 PM
I think you really have to sit down with him and talk it through. Completely. And if he doesn't agree to that, then tell him where to go.

Me and my boyfriend were having pretty big problems - well, he thought I had cheated on him (I hadn't) and he never mentioned it and let it eat him up until he finally blew up and went crazy at me. And he never really got over that until one day I called over and we talked about everything that pissed us off, everything we felt insecure about with regards to each other and so on and on and on, until everything was off our chests, and we've been perfect ever since. Even better than before.

But you need him to want to sort things out, otherwise it's pointless. And by what you're saying it seems pretty pointless. If ye are still having problems now, since December, I'd say let it go, not worth the worry and stress.

Talking it out is why he doesn't really want to hang out. He refers to talking it out as "cryfests" because we always end up upset. There is one major problem that he promised to change, and has worked on it but he still does it. I think most of the stupid little problems and fights I pick come from that. It's pretty much been eating away at me and I have brought it up but not much has changed. Now I just figure if I bring it up when he is trying to change, even if he does it, it's considered bitching. I'm confused because he tells me it isn't my fault, then gets upset with me. He says he wants to change, but then he says I am picking fights when I bring it up. He says he wants everything to be better but talking out issues is a cryfest. I am really confused and completely at a loss. In the beginning everything was perfect. We always got along. Then the problem kind of came up. I didn't say anything and we still got along for the most part. Then I confronted him about it and things changed for a while. Now every time we hang out it sucks because we don't have fun or do anything anymore, we are constantly trying to fix issues. I have told him straight out that I was fine in the beginning and then it wore on me. Then I became the way I am in the relationship. I still think this is true for the most part and a lot of the stupid fights come from one place which as some people have said, is usually how it goes. Now I don't want to call him because I feel like I would seem almost weak or needy... I am waiting for him to call me, but he hasn't called or texted at all in two days... I know he doesn't have minutes so I'm hoping that tomorrow when he is at his dad's where he has internet he'll call on Skype but I feel like I'm kind of a sucker in all of this. I feel like the protagonist in Self-Esteem, almost.

Also, I'm not really trying to dump all of my relationship shit on you guys, I am just at a loss and the people I thought could help that I've talked to in person haven't helped at all.

_Lost_
06-26-2012, 06:59 PM
You sound like me five years ago. Once again, you should never have to actively try to change yourself to make a relationship work, because it won't make you happy. If you can't deal with him exactly the way he is and he can't deal with you exactly the way you are, then you probably can't make it work. Ever. I'm not saying you have to like everything about the person you are with, but you have to be able to live comfortably with it.'

You are young. This guy doesn't have to be 'the one' (I'm not saying you can't find 'the one' at 17) and he is certainly not going to be the only guy to ever fall for you.

dexter12296566
06-26-2012, 07:37 PM
It really does hurt me to think about not being with him, though. I had crushes on other guys before, but Owen was the first guy I ever really fell for completely. He's been there for me through everything so I don't know what's going on now. I'm not trying to change myself just to make the relationship work, but to be a better person. You guys said I have matured, but I'm not done growing up yet. What I want to change is just part of that process. I love him a lot and I accept everything about him. Truthfully, the one problem IS something fixable. I feel like if I give him enough time, it will change. I know he is trying. It is just that time in between that is hard to deal with. I was thinking a lot today and in the end of my thoughts, I came to the conclusion that it will work eventually, and this IS worth it. How I know that, I have know idea, but somehow I just know it will. I honestly feel like he is the one and this is a feeling that I have never had, because I have never felt completely sure about anything before. I know I'm contradicting myself and arguing yours and everyone else's advice in a way, but I am really confused. My logic is completely arguing with itself at this point.

06-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I've been at that point before. Just don't try to think about it. Go out with friends, have fun, either with other people or with your self. Try to keep yourself busy so that it doesn't eat u up inside. That is possibly one of the most horrible feelings in this world

_Lost_
06-26-2012, 07:51 PM
My logic is completely arguing with itself at this point.

Hold on to that notion and sleep on it.

T-6005
06-26-2012, 11:13 PM
tell him where to go.

WOWZAH hey-YO!

Lizardus
06-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Consciously or not it sounds like you dread the same thing many people do in the same situation; loneliness. Both of you are probably thinking the same thing because you have fallen in sort of a rut, you have been with each other for a while and have grown accustomed to having somebody that the prospect of the situation changing is scary.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the relationship might be suffering from a form of entropy, you are investing increasingly amounts of effort into fixing things with little reward and it can burn you up if things don't change soon.

The best thing at this point would be for it to end before it gets worse and both of you end up with a nasty experience, worst for you since this is your first and only experience with a romantic relationship and it can set a bad precedent, we react to things based on previous experience and it would be a very bad thing to have it end in a bad note. It's never pretty or painless, but it can make it not traumatic if you do it right.

You are young and you have a long, long life ahead of you, you can't let it be over just because of some dud.