PDA

View Full Version : Rant about abbreviating song names

Llamas
06-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Hey guys, can we cool it with the song abbreviations? Songs like TKAA and SIMU are fine cause we're totally used to them and nothing is close to those abbreviations. But then we've got stuff like the DBZ, which is like Dragonball Z... SFTU, which always looks like "STFU" to me, and songs that have the same abbreviations, like "TIY" is both Trust in You and Turning into You.

And seriously, abbreviating crap like AIHLIY and IWSFWY is just annoying.

Rant over. :)

XYlophonetreeZ
06-26-2012, 12:49 PM
But how do you feel about SPDTRTARTBTH?

KennedyDK
06-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Hey guys, can we cool it with the song abbreviations? Songs like TKAA and SIMU are fine cause we're totally used to them and nothing is close to those abbreviations. But then we've got stuff like the DBZ, which is like Dragonball Z... SFTU, which always looks like "STFU" to me, and songs that have the same abbreviations, like "TIY" is both Trust in You and Turning into You.

Rant over. :) fully agree

DeeThree
06-26-2012, 12:50 PM

couldnt agree more mate...

JohnnyNemesis
06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
stfu brianna ;)

XYlophonetreeZ
06-26-2012, 12:51 PM
stfu
OMG thats my fav song from DGB!

Unnatural Disaster
06-26-2012, 12:52 PM
When Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace came out, I saw "RAFRAG" so many times I began to start actually calling the album rafrag.

Defender
06-26-2012, 12:52 PM
I am glad that somebody mentioned it by opening a thread about it.

0r4ng3
06-26-2012, 12:53 PM
idk, my bff DBZ?

The Search Button
06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Omg, smh ftw!

cool 2 hate 681
06-26-2012, 12:58 PM
fully agree

same here 10

KTILLA23
06-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Yes i agree, sometimes when we're talking about more than one song on Days go by, i get confused.

Llamas
06-26-2012, 01:09 PM
stfu brianna ;)

OMG thats my fav song from DGB!

idk, my bff DBZ?

Omg, smh ftw!

omg these posts are so lol! ftw!

effreyj
06-26-2012, 01:24 PM
D/0 is a lot better than DBZ

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
I actually think /0 is better

dff_punk
06-26-2012, 01:31 PM
I actually think /0 is better

Like you know, AIAINSB.

SeanAshmore
06-26-2012, 02:22 PM

Thank god someone had the energy to post about this. +1

BagOfShenanigans
06-26-2012, 03:12 PM
I've decided to type out the full name for 'Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell' forever.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-26-2012, 03:17 PM
But how do you feel about SPDTRTARTBTH?
Never. We must right out the full name for Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell every time! BagO'Shenan suggested it a while ago, and he's still practicing what he preaches:

I've decided to type out the full name for 'Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell' forever.

TheJakes84
06-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Wasn't I the one who was lazy enough to write I Wanna Secret Family (With You) as in IWASFWY. :o

Titus
06-26-2012, 04:21 PM
I agree... if you want to abbreviate try something easier like get a job, secret family, slin pickens, head around you etc. EAsier to type and easier to understand!

Godxilla
06-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Wasn't I the one who was lazy enough to write I Wanna Secret Family (With You) as in IWASFWY. :o

U know it's IWASF(WY). Gotta at least get it right.
I have a feeling I'm gonna love Slim Pickens does the right thing and rides the BOMB to Hell. Aka spdtrtartbth. Lol.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-26-2012, 06:10 PM
U know it's IWASF(WY). Gotta at least get it right.

You know it's IWSF(WY). Why do people keep adding an A in there? Gotta at least get it right.

Llamas
06-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Or just call it Secret Family like the rest of us...

dexter12296566
06-26-2012, 06:16 PM
I have used abbreviations and I don't know why. I hate them. it always takes me a little bit longer than it should to figure out what ones mean. I am still trying to decipher one of the ones llamas posted... then again I just took a nap and woke up like half an hour ago so I am having a major brain fart...

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Or just call it Secret Family like the rest of us...
That's what I plan to do. I was trying to make sure people who don't at least use the right letters in their abbreviation. It's a lot harder to figure out if the letters are wrong.

_Lost_
06-26-2012, 06:33 PM
This comes up every now and then and I think most of us find it equally annoying. I mean seriously... I had trouble deciphering those pictures about the songs from the new album. How am I supposed to know wtf IWSFWY means? Why is it a contest to come up with a shortened version of Dividing By Zero. Its a short and relatively easy song name to type. Maybe I should just shorten all the song names.

My favorite Offspring tune is EotL, but the one I most want to hear live would either be CR or DY. What do you guys think? I know some of you are all about hearing LR live, but what about F, A, or A? All greatly underrated songs for live performances if you ask me... GIR has always been one of my old school favorites...

wait... when did we start talking about nickelodeon from back when it was still awesome? I love that shit.

Godxilla
06-26-2012, 06:39 PM
This comes up every now and then and I think most of us find it equally annoying. I mean seriously... I had trouble deciphering those pictures about the songs from the new album. How am I supposed to know wtf IWSFWY means? Why is it a contest to come up with a shortened version of Dividing By Zero. Its a short and relatively easy song name to type. Maybe I should just shorten all the song names.

My favorite Offspring tune is EotL, but the one I most want to hear live would either be CR or DY. What do you guys think? I know some of you are all about hearing LR live, but what about F, A, or A? All greatly underrated songs for live performances if you ask me... GIR has always been one of my old school favorites...

I agree. I also like S and N. I is pretty good and D is a funny song. N is cool, anthemic and all. Love the riff in SE. Cool tunes run amok in the CD A. Love PTM as well. What about y'all?

Godxilla
06-26-2012, 06:41 PM
You know it's IWSF(WY). Why do people keep adding an A in there? Gotta at least get it right.

Sorry for my Offspring song sin. Good thing you're always there to correct me. The aliens of 3000 BC thank you. Just kidding. They don't care, nor live.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-26-2012, 06:41 PM
but what about F, A, or A?
I thought all of them were super easy except for these ones. They took me a minute.

_Lost_
06-26-2012, 07:09 PM
I guarantee you got them wrong.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-26-2012, 07:12 PM
EotL, CR or DY. LR ... GIR
End of the Line, Can't Repeat, Defy You, Lightning Rod, Get It Right. These ones I got immediately as I read them. No need for pause.

For F, I finally figured it out to be Feelings. I had to go through all the track listings of each album in my head and I came to the conclusion that A and A were Amazed and Americana. Those three took me a while though, so I see your point.

_Lost_
06-26-2012, 07:21 PM
So wut r ur F on DGB? i tink dey finally did GIR. dey might finally CTW w/ dis 1. Totes CR how good dey imbodied how SIMU irl.

Omni
06-26-2012, 07:30 PM
I personally love the songs S, N, H, H, and S. Anyone else's favorite album S?

Also, anyone remember that AbbreviationBoy alt who came around several years ago and typed entire posts in nothing but abbreviations? He was a good alt in that he had a great idea and didn't overstay his welcome.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-26-2012, 07:32 PM
So wut r ur F on DGB? i tink dey finally did GIR. dey might finally CTW w/ dis 1. Totes CR how good dey imbodied how SIMU irl.
I SAID I SEE YOUR POINT!! Even though that wasn't too hard. I'm exposed to illiterate folk for half of the day, every day. I've seen much, much worse.

For example, a text from my friend:

"Dd i wa soooo tred tody lol left at 4 got ack at 3"

EDIT: My translation: "Dude, I was so tired today. I left at 4:00 and got back at 3:00."

_Lost_
06-26-2012, 07:36 PM
i dnt c y u gttta b so rud. u kno? i ony tyrin 2 haz a srs convation bout teh new O cd.

BagOfShenanigans
06-26-2012, 07:39 PM
My favorite album is I, though, I have yet to hear DGB.

KHWHD, AIW, and E are great songs.

(I hate myself for typing this.)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
i dnt c y u gttta b so rud. u kno? i ony tyrin 2 haz a srs convation bout teh new O cd.
im sry. idk wut got into me. plz forgiv my rudnes. i srsly g2g now. Ttyl.

BagOfShenanigans
06-26-2012, 07:46 PM
im sry. idk wut got into me. plz forgiv my rudnes. i srsly g2g now. Ttyl.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRy4UDg4QU0Z09OiE_Xqk72viWrTBrXw Mb_SdPHAL99j9BnUNCGOeYIjx_P

Kikhimwenheezdawn plz.