PDA

View Full Version : IMO, Splinter is the most underrated album.

mat.kc.
07-05-2012, 09:05 AM
I mean, sure. Splinter runs shy of 32 minutes, but it keeps you on the edge of your seat for the entire duration. I'd say that a good 90% of the album is an edgier approach to modern cynicism. Isn't that what punk rock used to be about? Hard driven, catchy riffs rolled up in a bundle of thought provoking lyrics in short instances? With the exception of the alternative ballads (Hangover, Spare Me, Prison), I feel as if the album has been overlooked for its fast paced, "in your face" attitude in exchange for the general complaint that we didn't get enough of the album as we had hoped for. Not to take away from the experimentation tracks either. The lyricism for the entire record set the nihilistic message straight, and some of the alternative songs nailed the execution. It's insane that a classic song like "Da Hui" has completely fallen off of our radar. Wouldn't it be awesome to hear that track live? Again?

Anybody agree with me on this one? I definitely feel like Splinter had more than a solid effort behind it.

Defender
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I love Splinter the same as I love the rest of the Offspring albums. The only disadvantage is the short duration(10 songs only. "Neocon" & "When you're in prison" don't count for me). It's actually their shortest album.

bouncingcoles
07-05-2012, 10:35 AM
splinter is crap. Other than like 3 songs...

Eskimo
07-05-2012, 10:45 AM
It may be underrated. It's also their worst.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Splinter has a few really good songs, but unfortunately most of the rest sound like they were half-assed. On the plus side, O'Brien's production is stellar and really nails the "Offspring" sound. It's like the perfect medium between the old, raw, punx sounding Offspring albums and the newer, crispy, autotune-y sounding albums. Shame they couldn't write a better batch of songs for it.

Mark Rooster
07-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Definitely an underrated album. It's so dark, with a number of pretty intense songs (Lightning Rod, Never Gonna Find Me, The Noose, etc.). My only complaints are with "Worst Hangover Ever" and "Spare Me the Details," which don't quite fit with the tone of the rest of the album, much like how "Cruising California" and "All I Have Left Is You" don't really fit with the rest of "Days Go By". I don't mind "Hangover" or "Details", but up till recently they were my two least favorite Offspring songs.

If you listen to a lot of punk rock, thirty-two minutes really isn't that short. It's a good length: quick, to the point; not every album has to be 45 minutes long. Every time I listen to the first Circle Jerks' record, which is about fifteen minutes long, it sounds great; and if I'm still in the mood for it when it's over, just put it on again.

Also, Neocon is the best intro track Offspring have ever done.

BagOfShenanigans
07-05-2012, 11:04 AM
S/T and Co1 are the underrated ones.

Self titled was overshadowed by Ignition, and Conspiracy of One is almost like an urban legend to the less involved fanbase.

dexterone
07-05-2012, 11:06 AM
According to me,Splinter is definitely their best album..not only is it cohesive,it is problably their darkest album..I mean,the whole album's like a story that you just gotta like..people have to be deaf if they don't like The Noose,Long way home,Never gonna find me or Race against myself..these are brilliant and it'd be so fucking cool if the band started to play them live again..I never skip any song..but I agree that it's too short and When you're in prison is not a good closer but that doesn't change anything on the fact that it's a great album..and Neocon and The Noose is definitely the best way how to start any album..Pity that they only play Head around you on tours..

Defender
07-05-2012, 11:13 AM
S/T and Co1 are the underrated ones.

Backed...!

Sara MZK
07-05-2012, 01:26 PM
I'd definitely agree with some here that the self titled and CO1 are the most underrated Offspring albums, and the latter is probably my favourite out of all their albums. However, I do feel like Splinter comes in for some unfair bashing and criticsm, when it's really not that bad at all.

I agree with dexterone that Splinter is their darkest album, and whilst it's certainly a patchy affair, the great songs far outweigh the bad. "Spare Me The Details" is actually the only song on the album I really dislike, although there's another couple that are merely okay. The final two songs seem to split opinion between Offspring fans (especially the last one), but for me at least, that one-two is an absolutely wonderful finale to the album. The ferocious "Da Hui" followed by the climactic genius of "When You're In Prison". For me, the 20's/30's style easy listening music, complete with crackling gramophone effect, melded to the vicious black humour of the lyrics, is the perfect way to end The Offspring's darkest album so far. I can understand why some dislike the song, as it is totally left of field, even for them, but I think it's a twisted work of genius.

Elsewhere, songs like the storming opener "The Noose", the supercharged intensity of "Lightning Rod", and melancholy tinged "Race Against Myself", are truly classic Offspring songs that stand up against their very best work on the previous albums. It's an awkward little album for sure, but there are some sparkling gems on it! :)

frunsi
07-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Yep, in the album's context, When You're In Prison is pure genius. You are blown away by the breakneck speed, crushing riffs and huge amount of energy Da Hui blasts off, and suddenly, you're listening to a 30s gramophone record.
Splinter is actually my second favourite album after Ixnay (it was my favourite for a long time). I'm more into the hard-hitting songs, and if there are softer/slower songs on an album, they must be really good or i don't like them. Hit That is great and so is Hangover (although it's kinda stupid and not really ska-y). The only thing I don't like about Splinter is Spare Me The Details, but I only know two albums where I love all the songs.

brothadave79
07-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Definitely an underrated album. It's so dark, with a number of pretty intense songs (Lightning Rod, Never Gonna Find Me, The Noose, etc.)...

According to me,Splinter is definitely their best album..not only is it cohesive,it is problably their darkest album...

I agree with Eskimo, Splinter is their weakest album by far. The short length is a symptom of this. I understand it though, because it was a rough time for the band. Still the album is important because it served as a formative period for their current sound.

However, I never understood why people find this to be such a "dark" album. On the one hand you have:
1.Neocon
2.The Noose
3. Long Way Home
5. Race Against Myself
8. Never Gonna Find Me
9. Lightning Rod

These are the songs people typically identify as "dark." But the album also has:
4. Hit That
7. Worst Hangover Ever
10. Spare Me the Details
11. Da Hui (Hard sound, but it's about a Hawaiian surf gang. Serious gang, but the song is a goof - as per the video.)
12. When You're In Prison

Head Around You seems "neutral" to me, I guess. A good single for radio play. Anyway, while half the songs may qualify as "dark" to varying levels, the other half of the album is pretty light-hearted. In my opinion, Days Go By is a darker album - the lows are lower and the "jokes" are fewer. The word for Splinter's sound (other than its own title) seems more like "schizophrenic" to me. But maybe people remember the album differently by skipping tracks.

cool 2 hate 681
07-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Splinter has a few really good songs, but unfortunately most of the rest sound like they were half-assed. On the plus side, O'Brien's production is stellar and really nails the "Offspring" sound. It's like the perfect medium between the old, raw, punx sounding Offspring albums and the newer, crispy, autotune-y sounding albums. Shame they couldn't write a better batch of songs for it.

i agree with that i would love to see them do a third album with brendan o'brien

Sara MZK
07-05-2012, 02:25 PM
I'd place both "Da Hui" and "When You're In Prison" alongside the album's other dark songs. The former does have a silly video, but the music is crushing, and I think that the lyrics whilst appearing goofy, are merely veiling a more sinister undercurrent. The latter is a dark song, and is made all the more twisted because of the musical style that the lyrics are paired with.

In a way, these songs are like a pre-cursor to OC Guns. Another song which on first listen, especially if you don't have the lyrics to hand, may appear humorous and light hearted, but is actually a very dark song, with a malevolent intent. I love how they disguise things like that! xD

Llamas
07-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I agree with Eskimo, Splinter is their weakest album by far. The short length is a symptom of this. I understand it though, because it was a rough time for the band. Still the album is important because it served as a formative period for their current sound.

However, I never understood why people find this to be such a "dark" album. On the one hand you have:
1.Neocon
2.The Noose
3. Long Way Home
5. Race Against Myself
8. Never Gonna Find Me
9. Lightning Rod

These are the songs people typically identify as "dark." But the album also has:
4. Hit That
7. Worst Hangover Ever
10. Spare Me the Details
11. Da Hui (Hard sound, but it's about a Hawaiian surf gang. Serious gang, but the song is a goof - as per the video.)
12. When You're In Prison

Head Around You seems "neutral" to me, I guess. A good single for radio play. Anyway, while half the songs may qualify as "dark" to varying levels, the other half of the album is pretty light-hearted. In my opinion, Days Go By is a darker album - the lows are lower and the "jokes" are fewer. The word for Splinter's sound (other than its own title) seems more like "schizophrenic" to me. But maybe people remember the album differently by skipping tracks.

I agree 100%. If Da Hui is a dark song, then so is Bad Habit and Beheaded and Cool to Hate... plus, how can people say it's their darkest album? How is it darker than Ignition? How is it darker than s/t or Smash? I think it's one of their least dark albums.

NoGuessing
07-05-2012, 04:30 PM
My problem with Splinter is it just stops.

And I don't like many of the lyrics. There are too many "woe is me" songs that I'd expect from old Linkin Park or Seether, but The Offspring always have a bit more of a story to the song or some hope rather than just pure misery.

jacknife737
07-05-2012, 04:55 PM
If they cut out the medicore songs and released the "Splinter EP", i've always thought it would have gotten a way better receptions from fans, and may have even have been viewed as one of the band's best outputs.

Also, i'm always shocked at how many people really enjoy Race Against Myself: its not outright awful, but it certainly puts me to sleep sometimes.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-05-2012, 07:19 PM
There are too many "woe is me" songs that I'd expect from old Linkin Park or Seether, but The Offspring always have a bit more of a story to the song or some hope rather than just pure misery.
This.

Also, i'm always shocked at how many people really enjoy Race Against Myself
This this this this this.

JP Scralatchtica
07-05-2012, 08:01 PM
I totally agree! I don't know why this album gets such a bad rep. It's fucking loud and fast and when it's not rocking, it's funny as hell!

JP Scralatchtica
07-05-2012, 08:07 PM
This.

This this this this this.

Are you serious???
Have you ever listened to the lyrics to "Self-Esteem", "Amazed", "Kristy", just to name a few. I'm not in any way calling The Offspring emo or depressing or dramatic, but any good band can portray a variety of emotions in their songs. So to hate on that song because of it's subject matter is just stupid.
...I could maybe see your point of view if you were talking about "Cruising California", but not "Race Against Myself"
...just my thoughts.

NoGuessing
07-05-2012, 08:19 PM
The difference between Race and the songs you mention are those songs give us a context for why the character is miserable rather than just telling us the character is miserable.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Are you serious???
Have you ever listened to the lyrics to "Self-Esteem", "Amazed", "Kristy", just to name a few. I'm not in any way calling The Offspring emo or depressing or dramatic, but any good band can portray a variety of emotions in their songs. So to hate on that song because of it's subject matter is just stupid.
...I could maybe see your point of view if you were talking about "Cruising California", but not "Race Against Myself"
...just my thoughts.
Self-Esteem and Kristy are both storytelling songs; neither belongs in the same category. I love "Amazed." Love it. But the lyrics are pretty goddamn emo, to the point where we have a BBS in-meme for "No moar hope 4 better dayz." Anyway, the song is good enough for me to overlook that. To me, there's just zero Offspring in "Race Against Myself." I think it's cool for them to branch out and try different styles, but not if it results in them just sounding like every Joe Nü-metal act on rock radio at the time.

Also, why are you directing this at me instead of the people who originally said those things? I just agreed with them and said "this." Obviously I'm happy to respond, but it's just a little weird.

Sara MZK
07-05-2012, 09:46 PM
I can honestly say that I've never heard "Race Against Myself" described as "nu metal" before, and that description totally baffles me really... The mid-section riff is more of a metal riff than a punk riff, but a nu metal riff? I'm definitely not hearing that. As for the lyrics being "emo", well for one thing, how do we know he's singing from a first-person perspective? As previously stated, "Self Esteem" could very well be taken as having "emo" lyrics, unless you see it as him singing the song from someone else's, rather than his own, perspective. Besides, even if Dexter is singing in the first-person, it would not have been the first time he had written a self referential song about personal issues that have troubled him. What makes this song anymore "emo" than say, "Gone Away"?

It should be mentioned though, that I myself have no problems with emotional lyrics, as long as they are totally from the heart, and they're honest. To me the emo culture is about fake depression, putting on an act of being depressed as a means of fitting in. But I've never had a problem with people singing about real issues that they've had to deal with in their songs.

I've always loved it lyrically, and also musically. However, I always imagined that I was in a minority of people who loved the song, so I'm not surprised to see the negativity directed towards it by some here. lol

XYlophonetreeZ
07-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Since when does a song have to be first person to be emo? Where did I call Dexter emo? I called his lyrics emo in 2 songs (Amazed and Race Against Myself). And I didn't even use that as an insult- I like one of those songs, and I don't like the other. I like some emo. The problem to me with Race Against Myself is that I think the lyrics are riddled with rock cliches and have nothing original about them, and whether you call it nü-metal or not, it sounded pretty typical of rock radio circa 2003- when bands like Linkin Park, Saliva, Chevelle, and Evanescence were huge.

Sara MZK
07-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Since when does a song have to be first person to be emo? Where did I call Dexter emo? I called his lyrics emo in 2 songs (Amazed and Race Against Myself). And I didn't even use that as an insult- I like one of those songs, and I don't like the other. I like some emo. The problem to me with Race Against Myself is that I think the lyrics are riddled with rock cliches and have nothing original about them, and whether you call it nü-metal or not, it sounded pretty typical of rock radio circa 2003- when bands like Linkin Park, Saliva, Chevelle, and Evanescence were huge.

I never insinuated that a song has to be in the first person to be emo (that was referencing points other people in this thread have made), and nor did I say that you called Dexter emo. My last post was not specifically directed at you. lol

All I can say about the final point you've made, is that I simply disagree. Though you are perfectly entitled to hold that view, so I won't rebuff that, as I respect your right to have that opinion, even though I disagree with it.

cool 2 hate 681
07-05-2012, 10:13 PM
i always liked race against myself there are way worse songs than it on splinter

Unnatural Disaster
07-05-2012, 11:02 PM
I like Splinter a lot, but it's definitely not their best. The Noose, Long Way Home, Race Against Myself, Can't Get My Head Around You, Never Gonna Find Me, and Lightning Rod are great tracks, but the rest just doesn't live up.

Supa
07-05-2012, 11:29 PM
I love Splinter, I think it has a really good pace for the most part, and a really weird ending. I like all of the songs, my least favorite is probably The Worst Hangover Ever, but I think as a standalone song, this one and When You're In Prison are really good. I'm kinda half and half on the When You're In Prison being a good ending, though. I agree that it's twisted humor and an odd style for a punk band, but it does just kinda stop the blazing train that is Splinter dead in its tracks.

I also love Race Against Myself. What "rock cliches" are you specifically talking about?

findout5
07-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Splinter is not a bad record. I do think it is kind of bland and uninspired. It took ages to make and it isn't anything special. There are some good tracks (as always), but most of it isn't great at all. It isn't cohesive as well. That's a 3/5 record clearly. Positive, but just barely making it...

Sara MZK
07-06-2012, 01:58 AM
I guess ulitmately for me at least, Splinter is a weak album compared to it's predecessor (a very strong and consistent album the whole way through), but not really so compared to it's successor (which is another album which features some great songs, but is also quite patchy).

TheJakes84
07-06-2012, 02:02 AM
I splinter by my own design.

Eskimo
07-06-2012, 02:36 AM
I can honestly say that I've never heard "Race Against Myself" described as "nu metal" before

'Course it is. Most nu-metal that's been in the public eye just has rap vocals and electronics everywhere, which kind of makes RAM a little less obvious. But it's totally a typical throwaway late-90s/early-00s nu-metal song. Probably the worst song they've ever written.

The album's praised because of "The Noose", "Never Gonna Find Me", and "Lightning Rod", which are all really amazing core-Offspring songs, and probably better than any of the harder stuff on Co1. Overall though it's just kind of feeling uninspired and phoning it in, beginning to end.

That's what I love so much about this new disc, it doesn't have that vibe at all.

Sara MZK
07-06-2012, 03:09 AM
'Course it is. Most nu-metal that's been in the public eye just has rap vocals and electronics everywhere, which kind of makes RAM a little less obvious. But it's totally a typical throwaway late-90s/early-00s nu-metal song. Probably the worst song they've ever written.

The album's praised because of "The Noose", "Never Gonna Find Me", and "Lightning Rod", which are all really amazing core-Offspring songs, and probably better than any of the harder stuff on Co1. Overall though it's just kind of feeling uninspired and phoning it in, beginning to end.

That's what I love so much about this new disc, it doesn't have that vibe at all.

All I can say about that is, I thoroughly disagree with that. Both that "Race Against Myself" is "nu metal", and also that it's the worst song they've ever written. I have listened to a lot of nu metal, most of which I dislike, though some of it is good, and "Race Against Myself" sounds like no nu metal I've ever heard before, that is for sure, commercial, or otherwise. It's actually one of my fave Offspring songs, but it seems like a song that is either loved or hated, I don't really hear anyone saying it's just okay, they either hate it, or love it. I'm definitely in the latter category though.

All 3 of those songs you mentioned are great, and are regarded as classics pretty much unanimously by Offspring fans. Most of the other songs on the album however, divide the fans as they are loved by some, but also have their fair share of detractors. The debate here about "Race Against Myself" being a classic example of that. I also know that some would disagree with me about the last 2 songs being a fantastic way to close the album, but this album overall does seem to split opinions between the fans. I think the last 3 albums have done that, though "Days Go By" seems to be generally held in higher esteem by most fans than the previous 2 albums.

Ever since "Pretty Fly" was released, the band have came in for some pretty harsh criticsm from portions of their fan base, and I think "Americana" was the first album to really divide the fans like that. With "Splinter", they pushed their experimental side further than they ever had before, and so I think it was really just inevitable that the album became a very maligned body of work for them overall. However, I think in the intervening years between that album's release and the new album, the album has gradually been appreciated more, as some grew more accustomed to it's cold and stark atmosphere. I don't think it will ever be widely regarded as one of their classics though, as it's overall sound is not one that will endear the majority to the record.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I also love Race Against Myself. What "rock cliches" are you specifically talking about?

And I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant
And I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed
And I faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall

to name one. Anyway, I've trashed the song enough, any more would be excessive. I just don't like it.

Llamas
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
The lyrics in Amazed are just as bad as in Race Against Myself. I like both songs, but Amazed is a much better song musically. To be honest, though, I'm not really that big on the Offspring's lyrics. I thought RFRG had some of their best lyrics in songs like Half-Truism, Hammerhead, and Kid. But I tend to like more personal lyrics, which the Offspring's really have never been. Dexter writes very universal stuff, and it does tend to trend more toward the emo side of things (Self Esteem, Smash, Get it Right, Amazed, I'll Be Waiting, etc, etc...) That really appealed to me as a teenager, though, and was totally what I needed. So I'm grateful for that. I haven't listened to the lyrics of the new album yet, so I can't comment on them... but RFRG was a good step for me in terms of lyrics. Nothing was really emo to me on that album.

Mojo
07-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Splinter is a great album. Seeing them open their concerts with Neocon into The Noose was amazing. And so was Da Hui live. I even really like Hangover and Spare Me the Details. Great sound & Dexter's vocals sound incredible on these songs. I remember blaring Hangover back in college & a floor-mate who didn't know Offspring stating, "Holy shit this guy's got a great voice." Turned him on to the band. Greg K. even referred to The Noose as, "Dexter's masterpiece" for a magazine article. The ONLY song I skip is When You're in Prison. The rest of the album is on par with most of their stuff. So what if the album is short. It's punk rock. It's a shame it doesn't still get the credit it deseves, and I certainly miss hearing the stuff live.

Sara MZK
07-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Splinter is a great album. Seeing them open their concerts with Neocon into The Noose was amazing. And so was Da Hui live. I even really like Hangover and Spare Me the Details. Great sound & Dexter's vocals sound incredible on these songs. I remember blaring Hangover back in college & a floor-mate who didn't know Offspring stating, "Holy shit this guy's got a great voice." Turned him on to the band. Greg K. even referred to The Noose as, "Dexter's masterpiece" for a magazine article. The ONLY song I skip is When You're in Prison. The rest of the album is on par with most of their stuff. So what if the album is short. It's punk rock. It's a shame it doesn't still get the credit it deseves, and I certainly miss hearing the stuff live.

I agree with most of what you're saying here, although I don't like "Spare Me The Details"... :p The last time I seen The Offspring live was in 2004 when they opened with Neocon/The Noose, and it was an amazing show opener, just as it is an amazing album opener. They also played "Da Hui" which is even more devestating live than on the album, I lost it when they played that one! It's a shame "... Head Around You" and "Hit That" are the only songs from that album that they still play regularly... I do like "Hit That" a lot though, although it took me a long time to fully warm to it. The scathing lyrical content certainly betrays the more poppy nature of the music, and is a huge asset to the song. The Offspring's humorous songs have always been totally hit and miss, though "Worst Hangover Ever" is definitely one of my favourites of that type of song that they've done.

I do feel that "Splinter" is overshadowed by it's awesome predecessor, but it is a fine album, and definitely underrated. And yep, there are a few great songs on the album which should be resurrected for live shows again. I love that they have played "Lightning Rod", but it should be played live more often, definitely.

dff_punk
07-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Race Against Myself is one of my biggest favorites on Splinter. Lyrically not anymore, but musically, I totally dig the chorus for example. And it's a great thing to sing when there is two of you who know how to sing ;)

jacknife737
07-07-2012, 09:45 AM
For me the lyrics for Race Against Myself aren't even that big of a deal (they're not great mind you) its just that it reminds me of a generic hard rock song i'd find on the radio, sandwhcihed between the next "hit jam" from Nickleback and Stained.

As others have said, the track order is pretty offputting, it just sort of ends. Days Go By in comparison is probably the best "balanced" album they've put out in a while, where the ending is just as strong (if not stronger) than the opening tracks.

If I were to reorder tbe album to make a Splinter EP it probably be something like this:

Neocon
The Noose
Long Way Home
Hit That
Spare Me the Details
Da Hui
Can't Get My) Head Around You
Never Gonna Find Me"
Lightning Rod"

JP Scralatchtica
07-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Self-Esteem and Kristy are both storytelling songs; neither belongs in the same category. I love "Amazed." Love it. But the lyrics are pretty goddamn emo, to the point where we have a BBS in-meme for "No moar hope 4 better dayz." Anyway, the song is good enough for me to overlook that. To me, there's just zero Offspring in "Race Against Myself." I think it's cool for them to branch out and try different styles, but not if it results in them just sounding like every Joe Nü-metal act on rock radio at the time.

Also, why are you directing this at me instead of the people who originally said those things? I just agreed with them and said "this." Obviously I'm happy to respond, but it's just a little weird.

Yeah, I quoted you because you quoted both of the points about Splinter that I don't understand. Nothing personal, haha. I just wanted to quote those things to make my counterpoint.

I guess I just don't see that point of view. Not every Offspring song tells a story, so that sounds like a strange discrimination against this song. Lyrically, there are many similar Offspring songs that a lot of ppl like, such as the songs I mentioned before and others...I think "Gotta Get Away" fits as well. Also, I don't see what's wrong with having a nu-metalish song. What do you consider nu-metal?? that choppy guitar riff? Honestly, I think they've had a very metal-influenced punk sound forever. Even, "Crossroads" has that sound.

That's just my two cents. Agree to disagree I guess haha!

I do wish they would play some more of Splinter live!

Supa
07-07-2012, 12:26 PM
And I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant
And I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed
And I faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall

to name one. Anyway, I've trashed the song enough, any more would be excessive. I just don't like it.

It's all good if you don't like it, I just disagree it's as cliche as you think. Those three lines may not be incredibly thought provoking, but I think it fits with the song.

Sara MZK
07-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Honestly, I think they've had a very metal-influenced punk sound forever. Even, "Crossroads" has that sound.

Oh, I think that is absolutely true! It's pretty obvious that The Offspring were metalheads as well as being lovers of punk rock. Dexter has namechecked a few metal bands live in concert, and the band have even played some classic metal stuff at gigs during the 90's. In the very early days of the band, even Greg K had long hair, whilst Ron and Dexter had long hair for most the 90's, and even not that long ago, Noodles grew his hair long again! lol And of course, metal definitely influenced their own sound, especially on the earlier albums. There were strong metal influences on the debut and Ignition, and they've never completely abandoned that aspect, although that influence gradually got less and less form album to album.

I was a metal fan way before I discovered a love for punk rock, and maybe it is no coincidence that the first punk band I fell in love with was The Offspring, with their metal influenced brand of punk. xD

Hey Man Where's Everybody
07-07-2012, 11:21 PM
A few thoughts.

- Really confused by those who think "Splinter" is a particularly dark album, let alone the band's darkest. Have you taken a good look at the lyrics to the first three albums? S/T alone features lyrics about infanticide, dying soldiers, Satanic rituals, serial murders, sheer nihilism. Ignition features songs about suicide, self-harm, helplessness, cults, mutually assured destruction. "Splinter" veers off into plaintive "woe-is-me" terrain from time to time, but is nowhere near the band's darkest album.

- Agreed with ilovellamas about "Race Against Myself". It's not a wonderful song by any stretch of the imagination, but it's also far from the band's whiniest, emoest tune. I also think it's silly to begrudge this song for approaching the nu-metal formula. "Defy You" and "A Lot Like Me" are both way more egregious examples of the band aping the nu-metal sound. Also, in a world where "Cruising California" exists, "Race Against Myself" cannot be considered their worst song.

- I find Splinter to be a fun, quick listen, with some memorable songs, some bad songs and some filler. I have to say it's towards the bottom of my list. I don't think it's particularly underrated-- I think the fan community generally gives it the regard it deserves. "The Noose" and "Lightning Rod" are among the best songs this band has ever written.

Eskimo
07-08-2012, 12:58 AM
The lyrics in Amazed are just as bad as in Race Against Myself.

:p Diediediediedie. Also, die.

"Amazed" is awesome-cheesy. Like The Rocketeer or Captain America. Hokey as fuck, but OH SO RAD.

"Race" = "Hey, let's throw one out there to all the Limp Bizkit & Korn kids."

They both suck, only "Amazed", you know, doesn't.

D0NT
07-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Its a nice album I do think it might be underrated, to me DGB is tied with Splinter in album quality, DGB might be even better. I think their worst is CO1 and Americana ( the radio play of their pop hits in this album really got to my nerves as a "real fan" from the Smash days)

Whomever underrates Self Titled is fuckin stupid.

OC HAU
07-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Race Against Myself is badass cool.

Amazed is amazing. I like some bits of emo.

Splinter is pretty dark, but it's more like on a deeply personal level. S/T is even more dark, bah it's 100% black. Then, Smash.

Eskimo
07-08-2012, 01:11 PM
The hell is this stuff about Splinter being particularly "dark"?

How any moreso than any other major-label Offspring discs? They're always kinda 50/50 or close to. It's not really any darker lyrically than the new one, aside from this most recent disc having the kind of "light at the end of the tunnel" philosophy on DGB the song and on Pickens with its "fuck it, you can't change it" declaration about the world.

KHWHD
07-08-2012, 04:43 PM
I agree. Splinter is a great album and doesn't get enough recognition.

SeanAshmore
07-09-2012, 02:46 PM
I listened my way through CO1 and Splinter in their entirety (in reverse order) yesterday and again today for the first time in years, fantastic stuff! I had listened to some songs from them here and there but this was the first time I made an effort to listen to them and it was totally worth it. I do agree that Splinter is highly underrated but also I think that CO1 is, to me anyway, the 'archetypal' Offspring album; But this may be because I was around 14 when it came out in ~2001 and it was summer etc. but even listening again today, it just took me right back, every single song on that album *fades into nostalgic coma* :)

Mojo
07-09-2012, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't consider any Offspring album "dark." Most albums are a mix between serious songs, and sarcastic / joke songs. This goes all the way back to S/T with Beheaded for example. This was their "answer" to songs like Code Blue from TSOL or other bands they might have been listening to. Back then, they often wrote songs because they were "supposed to" based on the scene they were coming from. For example, I even recall Dexter saying he wrote Tehran because, 'hey, we needed a war song.' (To paraphrase).

Point is, they are by no means a band that writes actual 'dark' material. Most of it is pretty general stuff that is meant to be interpreted subjectively. This is why they appeal to many people, and is probably a tactic at reaching a certain demographic that might think, "Hey, this song is about me! I can connect to this!" They are smart and know how to reach an audience. I don't mean this in a negative way, but it's a big part of how they target an audience and make a living from it.

Moose
07-09-2012, 03:35 PM
amazed is a great song, race against myself is eh...i mean, you can say what you want about lyrics, but amazed has a truthfulness and a powerfulness about it, even if it comes off as simple...race against myself is just eh...not bad...but like most of that album, just isnt too special.

there are 2 splinter songs worth going back to...one is the noose, the other is cant get my head around you.

im gonna say it is their worst album and is rated as such...properly.

Marco
07-09-2012, 04:27 PM
I love Splinter, I think it's an excellent punk rock album, with the right amount of inputs from other styles. When You're In Prison is pure genius.

cool 2 hate 681
07-09-2012, 08:15 PM
splinter is not the most underrated album self titled is i have heard 8 songs from splinter live and 0 from the first album

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/46/The_Offspring_-_The_Offspring.jpg/220px-The_Offspring_-_The_Offspring.jpg

Mojo
07-09-2012, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=cool 2 hate 681;1475573]splinter is not the most underrated album self titled is i have heard 8 songs from splinter live and 0 from the first album

Just because you haven't heard the songs live doesn't mean they are underrated. Keep in mind Splinter came out 9 years ago while self titled came out 23 years ago. Huge difference there. Within that time The Offspring has defined their own sound, whereas they basically thought they were TSOL on the s/t album. Not knocking it in any way ( I love s/t), but there is truth to that. It would make WAY more sense for them to play songs from Splinter live rather than s/t songs.

commonrider5447
07-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Splinter is the only Offspring album I can't enjoy. I hate the production, which like with Co1, sounds too polished and big for a punk band like the offspring. Even the Americana pop songs sounded rougher and more authentic.

Also, the punk songs on Splinter sound forced to me, as opposed to the band just rocking out like it got back to for DGB and RAFRAG.

KTILLA23
07-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I agree i think S/T is a more underrated album, yes it sounds a lot like T.S.O.L but keep in mind that Dexter and Greg have said before that they would listen to them all the time in the 80s, and is probably the reason why that album sounds like them. But i love S/T all the songs on S/T are classics! And it has one of my favorite songs by The Offspring Crossroads.

Mojo
07-09-2012, 10:22 PM
yes it sounds a lot like T.S.O.L but keep in mind that Dexter and Greg have said before that they would listen to them all the time in the 80s, and is probably the reason why that album sounds like them.

Correct. Someone made the point that S/T was more underrated than Splinter because the songs aren't played live. My point is that this is not an accurate way of deciding this, because it would make much more sense to play Splinter songs which actually represent Offspring's signature sound as opposed to the "TSOL-like" S/T album.

cool 2 hate 681
07-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Correct. Someone made the point that S/T was more underrated than Splinter because the songs aren't played live. My point is that this is not an accurate way of deciding this, because it would make much more sense to play Splinter songs which actually represent Offspring's signature sound as opposed to the "TSOL-like" S/T album.

but way more people have heard splinter then the first album

TheOldMark
07-13-2012, 07:48 AM
in my opinion it may be the worst and most uneventful. thats why they dont play anything from it.

RageAndLov
07-13-2012, 02:11 PM
I like Splinter. Much better than Co1, and even better than Americana and the two newest ones. I like how dark many of the songs are, and Da Hui is one of the best songs they have ever made.
Also, I don't get the hate When You're in Prison receives. I like it when the band does something different.

Tiny Vessels
07-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Splinter is NOT a good album. Its just ugh. Maybe 3 songs off of it aren't that horrible but it is definitely not a good cd. Conspiracy Of One is pretty damn good, I was listening it to earlier and I was like omg I totally forgot how much I liked it.

cool 2 hate 681
07-24-2012, 02:03 PM
it was the first offspring cd where i didn't like every song on it

nightvision
07-24-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't get the hate When You're in Prison receives. I like it when the band does something different.

I think I've listened to that abomination 3 or 4 times EVER. I don't even have it on my computer. In my own simple mind, Splinter only has 11 tracks :).

Jakebert
07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Splinter is really, really hit or miss. On one hand, I like it better than CO1, which I found to just be kind of meh overall. But on the other hand, the stuff that doesn't work (The Worst Hangover, RAM, When You're In Prison) totally eclipses stuff like Lightening Rod that are pretty great. This is also a problem when you factor in the short length of the album.

Also, the problem with When You're In Prison isn't that it's different, it's that it's completely superfluous. It's some silly joke that's tacked onto the end of the album. And the problem with joke songs, especially by serious bands, is that the joke gets diminishing returns with each listen. I'll admit that I chuckled the first time I heard it, but that wasn't enough for me to return to it.

Scythe Death
07-24-2012, 10:46 PM
I like Splinter a lot and I feel that Splinter and S/T are the most underrated while Ignition is grossly overrated.

I like the lyrics for The Noose a lot, but the song is kind of trite. Hit That, Head Around You, Never Gonna Find Me, Lightning Rod, and Spare Me the Details are all amazing too. Da Hui is funny but I wish the lyrics touched on something more significant.

I appreciate the humor in Da Hui, Worst Hangover, and Prison too. Neocon is kind of lame.

OffspringFreakess
07-25-2012, 05:12 AM
I, overall, really like Splinter. There are a couple songs I could do without, but I absolutely love 'Race Against Myself', 'Hangover', 'The Noose', and 'Spare Me The Details'. I think this album could've been alot better, but to me (and this is just my opinion!) it was a kind of melancholy album. They just seemed so sad and depressed in their songwriting for some reason. But maybe I'm just reading into it wrong.

RageAndLov
07-25-2012, 06:18 AM
Splinter is really, really hit or miss. On one hand, I like it better than CO1, which I found to just be kind of meh overall. But on the other hand, the stuff that doesn't work (The Worst Hangover, RAM, When You're In Prison) totally eclipses stuff like Lightening Rod that are pretty great. This is also a problem when you factor in the short length of the album.

Also, the problem with When You're In Prison isn't that it's different, it's that it's completely superfluous. It's some silly joke that's tacked onto the end of the album. And the problem with joke songs, especially by serious bands, is that the joke gets diminishing returns with each listen. I'll admit that I chuckled the first time I heard it, but that wasn't enough for me to return to it.

I don't get why people nag about the album being too short. Not that Offspring could be called punk, but many of the better punk albums are usually short, and it's not weird for them to be no longer than 30 mins. I am glad they only included decent songs than filling it up with a bunch of... fillers... Quality over quantity.

Yes When You're In Prison is a joke song, but musically it still is what it is. I love the soap singer style and it's old/lo-fi quality. Pretty Fly is a joke song as well, but people go back and listen to it over and over again.

I, overall, really like Splinter. There are a couple songs I could do without, but I absolutely love 'Race Against Myself', 'Hangover', 'The Noose', and 'Spare Me The Details'. I think this album could've been alot better, but to me (and this is just my opinion!) it was a kind of melancholy album. They just seemed so sad and depressed in their songwriting for some reason. But maybe I'm just reading into it wrong.

That's why I like the album.

Llamas
07-25-2012, 06:53 AM
I don't get why people nag about the album being too short. Not that Offspring could be called punk, but many of the better punk albums are usually short, and it's not weird for them to be no longer than 30 mins. I am glad they only included decent songs than filling it up with a bunch of... fillers... Quality over quantity.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it's because the album is just a bit over 32 minutes, and then you remove the songs I dislike and therefore skip (Hit That, Worst Hangover Ever, When You're in Prison, Spare me the Details), - what you end up with is about 12 minutes removed, plus I usually just turn it off after Lightning Rod because I don't like Da Hui enough to keep listening, and I think Lightning Rod is a better way to end the album... and now the album is only 18 minutes long. It's not JUST because of the length, but that is combined with the poor track order (if Da Hui was earlier in the album, I'd definitely listen to it) and too many longer songs that I don't like. Whereas with an album like Americana, it's about 40 minutes when you remove the empty sound after Pay the Man, and I usually skip She's Got Issues and Why Don't You Get a Job... which still leaves 33 minutes of listening for me.

Yes When You're In Prison is a joke song, but musically it still is what it is. I love the soap singer style and it's old/lo-fi quality. Pretty Fly is a joke song as well, but people go back and listen to it over and over again.
Personally, I just don't care for it. It's not terrible (like Worst Hangover), and it was a fun idea, but it should've been a hidden track, not one of just 12 tracks on the album. I've listened to it a few times, but generally I turn off the album long before I get to it.

OffspringFreakess
07-25-2012, 09:06 AM
That's why I like the album.

I agree, it's half and half for me. Half of me missed the happy/jokester side of them, but the other half really liked this sad, sappy side we never really get to see. And those sappy songs are fantastic, IMO.

nightvision
07-25-2012, 11:22 AM

Are you actually comparing When You're In Prison to Pretty Fly?

RageAndLov
07-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Are you actually comparing When You're In Prison to Pretty Fly?

If the reason for not liking When You're In Prison is due to its lyrics, then yes.