PDA

View Full Version : Silly question

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
07-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Why do song titles use parenthesis? Like (Keep 'em Separated) (With You) or (Bump in my Trunk)

GamerKT
07-05-2012, 09:10 PM
I can't think of any real reason besides because they felt like it.

TheJakes84
07-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Punctuation.

SåS
07-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Dexter is a smart man, he knows how to use his punctuation? It's accustomed to him so he probably didn't notice?
Who would know this stuff?

findout5
07-06-2012, 01:16 AM
It's a matter of grammar. A sub-subject.

GamerKT
07-06-2012, 02:05 AM
Guys, I don't think he's asking about parenthesis usage. I think he's wondering why some songs have secondary titles.

Eskimo
07-06-2012, 02:40 AM
Dexter's literate? Seems the obvious answer.

OC HAU
07-06-2012, 04:05 AM
To spice up a tracklist? To make them more memorable?

Puschka
07-06-2012, 05:01 AM
When a song has () you have two options to call it, for example:
(I Can't My) Head Around You, you can say just Head Around You or Can't Get My Head Around You
Cruising California or Cruising California Bumpin' In Trunk
I Wanna Secret Family or I Wanna Secret Family With You

I think Dexter said that or I read that

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
My all time favorite use of parenthesis in a song title is (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party). It's not an Offspring song obviously, but I've always thought it looks really funny.

WebDudette
07-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Because (My dick).

Llamas
07-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Sometimes it's because there's an official title, and then there's a title people will recognize the song by: Come out and Play (Keep 'em Separated), Cruisin' California (Bumpin' in my Trunk)

Sometimes it's grammatical: Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)

Other times, it's complete and utter nonsense and there's just no reason for it: I Wanna Secret Family (With You), (Can't Get My) Head Around You, Nitro (Youth Energy) (that one's not so bad - not as bad as the other two.)

BagOfShenanigans
07-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm surprised that they didn't do 'Slim Pickens (Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell)'.

Mechagodzilla2
07-06-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure, but it can sometimes add more meaning to some songs.

D0NT
07-08-2012, 08:35 AM
I personally think they keep trying over and over again to repeat the success of COAP by using it's title formula.

Sometimes it could be nicknames for songs or how they expect people would called them due to the most repeated phrase off the verse or chorus.

D0NT
07-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Also they mentioned they played that Beastie Boys cover during their early days, so I might as well come from there

Godxilla
07-08-2012, 09:53 AM
It's usuaaly when a band names a song one thing, but knows that people will tend to name it after a more common word or phrase. The parenthetical is nothing more than an alternate title.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-08-2012, 10:13 AM
That theory works with some songs, but not with others. Is With You an alternative title to I Wanna Secret Family?

I think 'llamas nailed it.

OC HAU
07-08-2012, 11:13 AM
[/I]Other times, it's complete and utter nonsense and there's just no reason for it: I Wanna Secret Family (With You), (Can't Get My) Head Around You, Nitro (Youth Energy) (that one's not so bad - not as bad as the other two.)
It enhances the meaning of those songs. You know you could have a secret family like Fritzl. :d

Llamas
07-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Sometimes it could be nicknames for songs or how they expect people would called them due to the most repeated phrase off the verse or chorus.

It's usuaaly when a band names a song one thing, but knows that people will tend to name it after a more common word or phrase.

I already said this. People should read the thread.

The parenthetical is nothing more than an alternate title.
No Offspring song includes a parenthetical. Using parentheses does not automatically equal a parenthetical. Also, I'm pretty sure "Can't Get My" isn't an alternative title to "Head Around You", as I also said earlier.

That theory works with some songs, but not with others. Is With You an alternative title to I Wanna Secret Family?

I think 'llamas nailed it.

Thanks ;) And I agree.

It enhances the meaning of those songs. You know you could have a secret family like Fritzl. :d
How exactly does it enhance meaning? A title is just a title for people to reference a song by. If it was called "I Wanna* Secret Family With You", it wouldn't be any less "enhanced" than it is otherwise.

*Gonna bother me forever that the band used "wanna" wrong.

OC HAU
07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
How exactly does it enhance meaning? A title is just a title for people to reference a song by. If it was called "I Wanna* Secret Family With You", it wouldn't be any less "enhanced" than it is otherwise.

Oh, alright, but you can't think about it like that without the content inside of parentheses. Obviously, they didn't want such long titles, imagine Can't Get My Head Around You, it's too long, boring and not cool. If they shortened it to Head Around You, it gets not very representative of the song. So they add it with parentheses and it's cool at the end. You gotta think like an artist.

What's wrong with it? I want to secret family with you, where secret family is used like a single verb. It's artistic again. I want a secret family with you, you want it like that?

All I Have Left Is You, for example, is not that long so (Is You) is not used.

Llamas
07-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Oh, alright, but you can't think about it like that without the content inside of parentheses. Obviously, they didn't want such long titles, imagine Can't Get My Head Around You, it's too long, boring and not cool. If they shortened it to Head Around You, it gets not very representative of the song. So they add it with parentheses and it's cool at the end. You gotta think like an artist.
So, Can't Get My Head Around You is too long, but Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and He Rides the Bomb to Hell is okay? The Worst Hangover Ever is the same number of syllables as Can't Get My Head Around You. (Kristy) Are You Doing Okay is actually MORE syllables, and Let's Hear it (for Rock Bottom) is the same. So is Secrets (From the Underground). Your explanation does not hold up at all.

What's wrong with it? I want to secret family with you, where secret family is used like a single verb. It's artistic again.
Lol, this is a joke, right? ;) Secret family is a verb? Really? Yep, that's TOTALLY logical and obviously what the Offspring intended... lololololz.

Also, "Head Around You" is no less representative of the song than Crossroads or Smash or Session or MANY other songs of theirs in which the song title tells you pretty much nothing.

I want a secret family with you, you want it like that?
Written like that, sure. But I would've personally just called it Secret Family With You.

GamerKT
07-08-2012, 02:50 PM
What's wrong with it? I want to secret family with you, where secret family is used like a single verb. It's artistic again.

No.

10 characters.

OC HAU
07-08-2012, 05:15 PM
So, Can't Get My Head Around You is too long, but Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and He Rides the Bomb to Hell is okay? The Worst Hangover Ever is the same number of syllables as Can't Get My Head Around You. (Kristy) Are You Doing Okay is actually MORE syllables, and Let's Hear it (for Rock Bottom) is the same. So is Secrets (From the Underground). Your explanation does not hold up at all.

Lol, this is a joke, right? ;) Secret family is a verb? Really? Yep, that's TOTALLY logical and obviously what the Offspring intended... lololololz.

Also, "Head Around You" is no less representative of the song than Crossroads or Smash or Session or MANY other songs of theirs in which the song title tells you pretty much nothing.
Yeah, Slim Pickens is okay because it's so long that it's obviously intended. That's the cool thing about it. The Worst Hangover Ever is not about syllables, it's just 4 words. Kristy uses comma and question mark. Rock bottom is a good catch, but they use comma 2 times on RFRG so maybe it would be too much spice for that tracklist, there is also H-T. Secrets is just 4 words again, no need. I believe they think like that, but I can't prove it. I analysed those things before DGB, one thing I noticed is that those parentheses are always unique, for example, they use [] on Smash. Another parameters are number of words, before or after, or ' included. I also can't rule out for example Secrets From (The Underground) case for another album. They like to mix it up and not overuse it. It's very difficult to pigeonhole it.

It's not a verb, but you can take it like that artistically, it's not a grammar contest. English language has for example "pissed off" and in my language it's just a single word. Also, what about I wanna buttsex you? How would you like that? :D Is that a verb? Who cares. Art doesn't have to be logical. Do you honestly think they made such a grammatical error? I believe they think about tiny details. They have been doing this album for 2 fuckin years. Also, one band called a song Starz. Is it correct? No, it should be Stars. Was it intended? Yes. Also, I wonder if they intentionaly shortened I want a to I wanna.

Crossroads, in this case it suits to be general. I believe it was representative enough for them. They like mostly single word titles or 3 or 4 words. And you can't compare most of the titles because they pick only one, two or 3 odd things and only those can have some pseudo-scientific explanations. It's art, it's punk, they fuck around niftily. ST is just plain. Ignition has L.A.P.D. Ixnay &. 2 commas on Co1. But, they don't overuse it, usually one or two odd things. If it's plain, it can be taken as one odd thing.

No.

10 characters.
Why won't you secretfamily me? :(

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-09-2012, 10:05 AM

What's wrong with it? I want to secret family with you, where secret family is used like a single verb. It's artistic again. I want a secret family with you, you want it like that?

I was going to suggest this explanation to you 'llamas, but as a joke. It'd make the song so much funnier. That's how I'm going to sing along to it now. "I want to secret family with you" :)

Is OC HAU for sure just regular HAU? What happened to the Degstur Lolland account? I don't think he was banned.