PDA

View Full Version : Why do people dislike "Hit That"?

XYlophonetreeZ
07-12-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm interested to hear people's answers to this question. I've never quite understood it. Are you just not a fan of keyboards? Or do you disapprove of Dexter using the term "baby daddy," even if it's obviously tongue-in-cheek? Or did you just get really sick of it when it first came out?

To me, it's the kind of sarcastic social commentary they've done for a long time along the lines of "Cool to Hate," and thus the lyrics don't bother me in any way at all. And to me it's a brilliant single because it retains their identity as a heavy rock band while still inviting a pop audience to listen to it, unlike "Pretty Fly," "Original Prankster," or "Cruising California," which all have pop appeal but misrepresent their albums.

I'm just confused because it seems like some of the same people who say "trolololo Cruising California is SO BOBVIOUSLY A JOEK" dislike Hit That because it's a "trendy pop song." I may be exaggerating and it's possible that no one ever said that, but hopefully this fuels a decent discussion anyway.

DMelges
07-12-2012, 05:11 PM
I love Hit That. Very unique song, by that I mean I have never heard any other song from any other band similar to it.

Llamas
07-12-2012, 05:36 PM
A lot of people seem to disagree, but for me it's Pretty Fly Pt. 3. He doesn't exactly rap, but there's really no melody for the verses, just like Pretty Fly and Original Prankster... the chorus isn't anything special, and I guess I just find the song boring.

However, I like Hit That more than Original Prankster or Cruising California. It's not a bad song... I just don't really care for it.

BagOfShenanigans
07-12-2012, 05:42 PM
They dislike it because it doesn't fall under their jurisdiction of what an Offspring song should sound like.

KTILLA23
07-12-2012, 05:44 PM
I love Hit That as well. Keyboard, lyrics, and Dexter's voice are very good for this song. I don't agree calling it Pretty Fly Pt 3, Pretty Fly and Original Prankster are completely different songs compare to Hit That.

Llamas
07-12-2012, 05:58 PM
They dislike it because it doesn't fall under their jurisdiction of what an Offspring song should sound like.

Hmm, except I love Denial, Revisited... Pay the Man... LAPD... A Lot Like Me... OC Guns... all songs that aren't typical Offspring.

DeeThree
07-12-2012, 06:21 PM
I love every offspring song.. even if it doesnt sound as an offspring song... hit that is so catchy, and it got some rythm that my head just cant refuse!

mrconeman
07-12-2012, 06:50 PM
My reason for disliking Hit That has nothing to do with it's lyrical subject matter, or it not being trupunx, or it's use of keyboards, or any of the other reasons the Offspring fan girls that cant accept that even their favourite bands make the occasional bad song, are trying to pin on me. It's just a really boring song. Musically I mean, there's absolutely nothing interesting going on. The keyboard melody is not interesting at all, and it's tone is annoying (I'm not against keyboards/synths in rock songs at all, I love Hagar era Van Halen for example), I don't know a better way to put it, it's just really bland.

Edit: and to reiterate what Llamas said, Original Prankster, and CC are way worse songs.

jacknife737
07-12-2012, 06:56 PM
I think a bit of the negative reaction directed towards it, is that it seemed like an attempt to replicate the success of Pretty Fly (ie, hip hop/urban influenced pop-punk song). Also, at least initially it didn't quite seem as memorable as a lot of the band's other "pop" singles.

That said, i think the song actually holds up quite well: i like it a lot more today than i did back in 2003. Though i still hate the keyboards on it.

Hmm, except I love Denial, Revisited... Pay the Man... LAPD... A Lot Like Me... OC Guns... all songs that aren't typical Offspring.

LAPD seems a little out of place on that list; doesn't really seem all that different from the other Ignition tracks.

RedFox
07-12-2012, 08:06 PM
is amazing how many people hate Cruisin California....

i love that song... i love all offspring song, some more than others...

Thomas
07-12-2012, 08:18 PM
I've actually always wondered why people hated it, too. The lyrics made some great social commentary, and the video really helped solidify that point. I suppose I can see why people wouldn't like the keyboard in it, but it isn't the driving-force in the song (instrumentally) so I never really minded it. It always seemed like a kind of effect to me, even though it has the melody. I dunno. I suppose it also helps that it was one of the songs that REALLY got me into The Offspring, so that probably has something to do with it.

bighead384
07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
It's a bit short and the bridge is borderline filler.

The bass line rocks, and it's a solid song throughout. I always thought the ending was great, cause you hear that same rhythm but without vocals and it sounds powerful.

However, it just isn't quite catchy enough to be in that "ultra-catchy" category. Although it's extremely close, because it's pretty fucking catchy.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-12-2012, 09:17 PM
For the record, I wasn't mocking anyone for acting trupunx or anything of the sort by not liking it. All of the possible reasons I cited for not liking it are legitimate. If you don't like keyboards, then that's a legitimate reason not to like the song. For instance, I'm not usually a fan of heavily autotuned vocals. I can't stand early 2000s R&B music. I can't stand bluegrass. I think "Original Prankster" is a shitty song. I was just asking a question because I personally like the song a lot.

Anyway, some of the reasons have been interesting. I've definitely never thought of it as having any kind of hip-hop flavor at all. The verses are no more "rap" than the verses in TKAA. And I never really thought of it as a way to follow the same blueprint as Pretty Fly and OP either, other than perhaps saying "let's write a song that can achieve some mainstream success." I just don't see a lot of similarity to either of those two songs, and if anything I think it's admirable that they did a song that neither conforms to the style of any of their prior mainstream successes, nor to their typical punk song formula.

I could see how the texture of the keyboards could be annoying to some, and in fact I could do without that slurry, synthy bass part. I'd rather have one of Greg's groovier, yet understated basslines along the lines of what he did in "Pretty Fly," "I Choose," or "OC Guns." I do love the rest of the song, though, particularly the lyrics, Dexter's vocal tone, that descending keyboard riff at the end of every 4 bars, and the way Josh hits the crash cymbals. It's probably tied with "The Noose" for my favorite on Splinter.

Defender
07-13-2012, 12:31 AM
I am with Xylophonetreez! He said everything I wanted to say. I hate keyboards but "Hit That" is my favorite Splinter track. It seems the Offspring know how to make keyboards fit in with a song.

Eskimo
07-13-2012, 01:23 AM
It's a goddamn ass motherfuckin' shitload (and other cusswords) better than "Prankster".

People have hated every kind of goofy sarcastic song in that style they've done since "Pretty Fly", that whole writing-the-same-single-over-and-over-again point of view. But that one always seemed to me more of a genuine follow up/similar deal, rather than Prankster just seeming completely cynically trying the same formula again, only it's like a tenth as good.

"Hit That" is catchy and fun, pleasant to listen to in that dorky kind of way, and the lyrics are pretty scathing and on-point. What more do you really want? Splinter's not exactly my favorite album from the guys, and the other singles on it never did anything for me, but I'd say "Hit That"'s better than the two pop-y singles from Co1.

Puschka
07-13-2012, 07:23 AM
I love Hit That! I want to listen to it right now....
Listening!

MOTO13
07-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Why do people hate Hit That? Because...it is a ridiculous, horrible, stupid friggin song that should have been left on the cutting room floor.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-13-2012, 10:07 AM
I love Hit That. It used to seem a little bland to me but after listening to it a lot more it seems really catchy and fun to sing along to.

Llamas
07-13-2012, 11:53 AM
LAPD seems a little out of place on that list; doesn't really seem all that different from the other Ignition tracks.

It's one of the very, very few songs that Dexter raps. And it only sounds similar to the rest of Ignition because we compare Ignition to other albums. However, there's no other Offspring song that sounds similar to LAPD. It's definitely not typical.

I guess to say that Hit That is "rapped" isn't right, but the verse of the song has exactly two notes. I find it boring and kind of annoying. Plus coneman is right about the tone of the keyboard and what's actually played on it. The keyboard in All I Have Left is much nicer, as well as in A Lot Like Me.

RageAndLov
07-13-2012, 02:06 PM
I always liked Hit That. It is not their best song, but it is fine. The keyboard never was a problem for me, I don't mind it.
Also, I don't see it like Original Prankster or Pretty Fly. Those songs I can't stand. I don't really care if they wrote Hit That in order to make a successful song. Whether a song is successful or not doesn't matter at all to me for me to like it.

TheNooseIsFalling
07-13-2012, 02:53 PM
People dislike Hit That? It's one of their most fun songs to listen to. I never understood why people give shit to The Worst Hangover Ever and When You're In Prison and Intermission. This kind of tongue-in-cheek way they don't take things too seriously is one of the main reasons why I got into this band.

Mechagodzilla2
07-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Hit That is rockin good. Those haters just don't like it because it's not typical of most Offspring songs.

JP Scralatchtica
07-13-2012, 04:34 PM
People dislike Hit That? It's one of their most fun songs to listen to. I never understood why people give shit to The Worst Hangover Ever and When You're In Prison and Intermission. This kind of tongue-in-cheek way they don't take things too seriously is one of the main reasons why I got into this band.

I completely agree!

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Hit That is rockin good. Those haters just don't like it because it's not typical of most Offspring songs.

As the wise 'llamas said:

Mechagodzilla2
07-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Llamas isn't normally wise but some of them are good points. Anyway, OC Guns is very typical of the Offspring.

Llamas
07-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Thank you ;) You're right. I like lots of atypical Offspring songs. I don't even think Hit That is all that atypical for them... I just find it boring.