PDA

View Full Version : From a guitar player's perspective

BigFish
07-13-2012, 11:29 AM
I really like the new album a lot. It's great to listen to. It's not my favorite out of all of them, but it's good. Unfortunately, as a guitar player, I really don't like it. It's way too boring. The chord progressions are super simple and reused a few times on this album. Some of the songs are okay. One of my favorite pastimes is playing Offspring songs on the guitar. I've been trying to get into playing this album, but it's just not that much fun. I know their music has never been that complicated, but it used to be a lot more fun. I was just wondering if anyone else out there felt the same way. Dividing by Zero is fun to play as is Slim Pickens, even though both of those use basic 4 chord progressions in the chorus. The others songs though are just so boring to play. I love listening to them, but just can't find the fun in playing them. :( Anyone else?

Chainsaw
07-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Haven't really given this album a go yet. I get where you're coming from though, The Noose for example is a song that's super boring to play on the guitar for me, but very awesome to listen to.

BigFish
07-13-2012, 11:45 AM
The Noose has a good riff that's fun to play, I actually enjoy playing that song over almost anything on Days Go By, though.

TripleDK
07-13-2012, 01:18 PM
There was an interview with Noodles on Ultimate-Guitar.com where he admitted that basically all their songs ever have been 3-chord songs, but that in their newest album including Days Go By they have added more layers of guitar and effects to make the songs interesting. I think you're right that it would be boring to just play the chords for all the songs, but if you find the time to learn all the fills and lead parts then it would be much more interesting. And if you're into singing, then finding a band and doing some guitar and vocals at the same time is very rewarding, even if the guitar parts are rather bland.

ThunderPX
07-13-2012, 02:23 PM
lots of chords does not a good song make

Jojan
07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I like it that the songs are easy to play. It makes possible to put more energy into it, and you have to concentrate less on what is up next. It is nice too, when you do not hear the simple chord progressions in the song when you just listen to it. I like that a lot.

And the same four chords are a simple way to make a great song. Dividing by Zero and Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell are my two favourite songs off this record. (Although the worst one uses the same four chords throughout.)

If you want challenging songs to play, you can look for other bands.

TheNooseIsFalling
07-13-2012, 03:46 PM
They never were a band to write complicated songs, but lately for me, their songs are a lot more fun to play than, say, Avenged Sevenfolds stuff. And haters gonna hate, but right now the most fun thing for me to play is the chorus in Cruising California. Boom boom boom, fuckers.