PDA

View Full Version : Review of 'days go by'

mrscottmusic
07-14-2012, 01:50 PM
REVIEW: The Offspring - Days Go By - listen http://mrscottmusicblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/review-offspring-days-go-by-listen.html

Godxilla
07-14-2012, 02:40 PM
This is interesting. A man writes a review for a CD, decides he wants people to read it, and creates an account on that band's very forum. Whoa-oh. But I KINDA LIKE THE IDEA. Nontheless, how can you call CC's words "shit lyrics"? It's just funny "poor hip hop influenced nonsense of 'Cruising California (Bumpin' in My Trunk)' and its hideously shit lyrics ("she’s waving her caboose at you,*you sneeze achoo*").*"
EXPLAIN YOURSELF!

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-14-2012, 09:22 PM
They are pretty terrible lyrics, but that seems to be intentional. Like "my friends are drinking". C'mon guys. It must have been poking just a teensy weensy little bit of fun at the poorly written party-attitude pop music of today. A lot of it was probably just them being silly though, because they can.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Smash was released in '94, not '95.

SeanAshmore
07-15-2012, 05:44 AM
"They have three styles - thrashy punk rock with lots of "woah oh"s, and mainstream rock tunes."

Other than the grammar and punctuation mistakes, did anybody notice that he only mentioned two of the supposed three styles? :)

Llamas
07-15-2012, 09:17 AM
I don't particularly disagree with that review, but it was pretty poorly written. Bad grammar and awkward descriptions.

Also, lol @ godxilla - that seems to be exactly what's happened here. But CC definitely has really stupid lyrics.

Godxilla
07-15-2012, 02:46 PM
"They have three styles - thrashy punk rock with lots of "woah oh"s, and mainstream rock tunes."

Other than the grammar and punctuation mistakes, did anybody notice that he only mentioned two of the supposed three styles? :)
i noticed that. I thought it was just me, but now that you confirm it, MrScott doesn't seem so sharp.

I don't particularly disagree with that review, but it was pretty poorly written. Bad grammar and awkward descriptions.

Also, lol @ godxilla - that seems to be exactly what's happened here. But CC definitely has really stupid lyrics.

His grammer was a disaster.
And did you look at his profile? 4 posts. All of them are the link to his review. He's like one of those loanbots, but he posts.

Eskimo
07-16-2012, 03:18 AM
You've posted your link everywhere now, dickhole. We can all ignore you now and you can crawl back into your cave.

Turnip-molester.

mrscottmusic
07-21-2012, 11:26 AM
This is interesting. A man writes a review for a CD, decides he wants people to read it, and creates an account on that band's very forum. Whoa-oh. But I KINDA LIKE THE IDEA. Nontheless, how can you call CC's words "shit lyrics"? It's just funny "poor hip hop influenced nonsense of 'Cruising California (Bumpin' in My Trunk)' and its hideously shit lyrics ("she’s waving her caboose at you,*you sneeze achoo*").*"
EXPLAIN YOURSELF!

Er.. I think that kinda explains itself don't you?

mrscottmusic
07-21-2012, 11:28 AM

That's what is known as a "typo". Can you please give me an example of "grammar and punctuation mistakes" please?

mrscottmusic
07-21-2012, 11:30 AM
i noticed that. I thought it was just me, but now that you confirm it, MrScott doesn't seem so sharp.

His grammer was a disaster.
And did you look at his profile? 4 posts. All of them are the link to his review. He's like one of those loanbots, but he posts.

Your spelling of the word "grammar" is a disaster I think you will find. Perhaps you'd like to give me an example of my disastrous grammar, since you're obviously such an expert on the English language?

mrscottmusic
07-21-2012, 11:33 AM

Awkward? How? I described exactly what I heard. Let's see you write a massively popular music blog ON YOUR OWN. Come on, let's see it. I think I was very kind to this album, in fact a lot of people are saying i've been too kind! Did you delusional kids think I'd give it 10 out of 10 and name it as album of the year?

Wake up.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Awkward? How? I described exactly what I heard. Let's see you write a massively popular music blog ON YOUR OWN.

Fucking LOL. Oh man. Yes, you're the author of a MASSIVELY POPULAR blog, which is why you have to register on message boards of bands that you review and spam the place (and yes, it is spam- you're lucky it wasn't reported) with your shitty review in order to get anybody to pay attention to it. And no way, you wrote a blog ON YOUR OWN??? Damn, you're just a self-starting workaholic living out the American dream. I've never heard of anyone who writes a blog on their own.

You're a cunt.

mrscottmusic
07-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Fucking LOL. Oh man. Yes, you're the author of a MASSIVELY POPULAR blog, which is why you have to register on message boards of bands that you review and spam the place (and yes, it is spam- you're lucky it wasn't reported) with your shitty review in order to get anybody to pay attention to it. And no way, you wrote a blog ON YOUR OWN??? Damn, you're just a self-starting workaholic living out the American dream. I've never heard of anyone who writes a blog on their own.

You're a cunt.

"you're just a self-starting workaholic living out the American dream"
Er, I'm from England actually you stupid fucking Yankee prick. 250,000 page views qualifies as pretty popular to me. Care to disagree with that?

Have you actually got any idea what writing a music blog involves? Listening to hundreds of new albums every month, keeping up to date with news, going to lots of gigs... whereas you've probably heard about five albums all year! If writing a music blog is so easy let's see you do it! Come on, I'd like to see what rubbish a stupid fucking shitbag like you would be able to write! Haha fucking twat!

"which is why you have to register on message boards of bands that you review and spam the place (and yes, it is spam- you're lucky it wasn't reported) with your shitty review in order to get anybody to pay attention to it"

REALLY? I post my review on band's forums so I can put across an UNBIASED opinion rather than the deluded "oh The Offspring are the best band in the world" nonsense that the thick-as-shit morons in here spout! Just in case the more casual fans want a proper opinion on the album, my review is here to deliver just that. Don't like it? Then don't read my reviews you utter cock.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-21-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm a little confused where you're getting the idea that everyone here can't take criticism of the Offspring, when you've barely been on this board- and if you're really so busy with your blog, then you shouldn't have any reason to be on this board enough to understand the variety of members this place has. Posting a bland review that doesn't glorify the Offspring doesn't make you a badass enlightener, it just makes you a boring shiller- in fact, many reviews got posted here that absolutely lambasted the album- and furthermore, multiple users here agreed with those reviews. You might know that if you'd actually bothered to read the 3 or 4 other threads that you bumped in order to post the same exact same thing 3 or 4 times.

And congratulations, your blog has 250k views. You've probably posted almost as many links to it on various bands' message boards. And your blog's moderate popularity doesn't make you any less of a cunt, especially after you lashed out at Llamas for the wrong reasons. For fuck's sake, she was criticizing your writing, and you pretty much assumed she was a stupid Offspring fangirl. Those of us who actually post here know her, and that's quite far from the truth. In fact, she's actually an English teacher, so I'd say she can criticize your writing if she damn well pleases. You just look like an idiot for defending yourself against shit that she didn't even suggest.

sneedo83
07-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Time to hit the road you piece of shit, you posted your review and got some hits, now get the fuck out, thx.

Godxilla
07-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Awkward? How? I described exactly what I heard. Let's see you write a massively popular music blog ON YOUR OWN. Come on, let's see it. I think I was very kind to this album, in fact a lot of people are saying i've been too kind! Did you delusional kids think I'd give it 10 out of 10 and name it as album of the year?

Wake up.
Sorry, your highness. Perhaps you don't know that we are actually rating this CD every fucking day on these frigggin forums. And this SHOULD be the album of the year. It's better than Carly Rae Shitprick's new album.

"you're just a self-starting workaholic living out the American dream"
Er, I'm from England actually you stupid fucking Yankee prick. 250,000 page views qualifies as pretty popular to me. Care to disagree with that? Watashitachi no ichibu wa, tsuneni anata o shinjite irunoni jūbun kenmeideatta.Gojira wa watashitachi subete o hozon shite arimashita.

Have you actually got any idea what writing a music blog involves? Listening to hundreds of new albums every month, keeping up to date with news, going to lots of gigs... whereas you've probably heard about five albums all year! If writing a music blog is so easy let's see you do it! Come on, I'd like to see what rubbish a stupid fucking shitbag like you would be able to write! Haha fucking twat!

"which is why you have to register on message boards of bands that you review and spam the place (and yes, it is spam- you're lucky it wasn't reported) with your shitty review in order to get anybody to pay attention to it"

REALLY? I post my review on band's forums so I can put across an UNBIASED opinion rather than the deluded "oh The Offspring are the best band in the world" nonsense that the thick-as-shit morons in here spout! Just in case the more casual fans want a proper opinion on the album, my review is here to deliver just that. Don't like it? Then don't read my reviews you utter cock.

You call me a thick as shit moron one more time, and I'll report every single one of your 9 spams, and ask my friends here to do the same.

But all is forgiven if you listen to my DIY music in the Your Band section. But if not, you can just stretch your ten-foot dick into your slobbering maw and suck like a deranged whore。

Llamas
07-21-2012, 05:07 PM

Wake up.
Lol. Your Facebook page has 49 fans. MASSIVELY POPULAR. You got 250,000 hits, and only 49 of those people liked it enough to like your fan page? And a whole 162 Twitter followers! Lol, success!!! When your "followers" are half as much as those you follow, you are not "massively popular".

You asked several times for the grammar mistakes in your post. Let's see here.

So The Offspring have a new album out. Before track one begins, you already know what it's going to sound like. They have two styles - thrashy punk rock with lots of "woah oh"s, and mainstream rock tunes. Their ninth studio album, 'Days Go By', shows no sign of the California four-piece changing their familiar style. But even though it will be criticised for the lack of any new ideas, this isn't a bad album.

In fact, the faster, more direct punk numbers - like the fiery 'Turning Into You' and the addictively catchy 'Secrets From The Underground' - sound like they could have been written around the time of their finest album, 1994's 'Smash'. Tracks like the urgent 'Hurting As One', with its no-nonsense riffing, and the full-throttle excitement of 'Dividing by Zero' are blazing firecrackers that keep up the burning pace and prove that sometimes bands sticking to their same old sound can produce great results, as long as they match the quality. This sentence states that the full-throttle excitement of Dividing by Zero is what's a blazing firecracker; you wanted to say that Dividing By Zero itself is a blazing firecracker. This is the case for a number of songs on 'Days Go By', including the excellent swear word-heavy closer, 'Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell', but the album suffers from filler, such as the poor hip hop-influenced nonsense of 'Cruising California (Bumpin' in My Trunk)' and its hideously shitty lyrics ("she’s waving her caboose at you, you sneeze achoo ").

The weak Sublime parody that is 'OC Guns' OC Guns is not a Sublime song, so you can't say "of OC Guns" is an attempt at a mariachi-tinged pop hit, while 'I Wanna Secret' is unimaginative mainstream rock with some embarrassingly bad lyrics. The album's more rock ballad-y moments also drag the overall quality down, although 'All I Have Left Is You' is as good as the Offspring's more sentimental moments get and reveals a more introspective tone to Dexter Holland's vocals.

There you go. Tons of missing commas and missing hyphens. Lots of badly-structured sentences, too, but I left them because it'd be too much work to fix them.

By the way, I wouldn't give Days Go By 10/10, nor would I name it album of the year. I listen to a shitload of albums and have thought about keeping a music review blog, but I simply don't have the time to keep it up. Just because it's not the greatest album, though, doesn't make your review any better.

Little_Miss_1565
07-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah, dude, I think people are less taking umbrage with what you had to say about the album (which, it would appear, few people give a shit about), and more taking umbrage with how you've effectively spammed the crap out of the forum with links to your review. So, uh, stop already.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Your spelling of the word "grammar" is a disaster I think you will find.
It was wrong, but it wasn't a "disaster". Grow up.

Let's see you write a massively popular music blog ON YOUR OWN.
Llamas is more than capable of that.

in fact a lot of people are saying i've been too kind!

Who? How many?

Have you actually got any idea what writing a music blog involves? Listening to hundreds of new albums every month,

Hundreds of new albums every month? Let's say the albums average 45 minutes in length. That seems pretty standard. Considering you said "hundreds", we'll set a minimum of 200 albums. You spend at least 150 hours monthly listening to music? If you spread that over 30 days, you will listen to 5 hours of music a day. Combined with all the time you must spend writing blogs on all these albums...... wow. Yeah, I'm kind of incredulous to the "listening to hundreds of new albums every month" thing.

REALLY? I post my review on band's forums so I can put across an UNBIASED opinion rather than the deluded "oh The Offspring are the best band in the world" nonsense that the thick-as-shit morons in here spout! Just in case the more casual fans want a proper opinion on the album, my review is here to deliver just that.
You haven't spent much time here, have you? Almost all of the users here have no problem with criticizing the band. We aren't really that nice of a fan-base all the time :). How is your opinion proper? Your entire review seemed very poorly written as many others have pointed out.

Llamas
07-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Llamas is more than capable of that.
Lol, thanks :)

Hundreds of new albums every month? Let's say the albums average 45 minutes in length. That seems pretty standard. Considering you said "hundreds", we'll set a minimum of 200 albums. You spend at least 150 hours monthly listening to music? If you spread that over 30 days, you will listen to 5 hours of music a day. Combined with all the time you must spend writing blogs on all these albums...... wow. Yeah, I'm kind of incredulous to the "listening to hundreds of new albums every month" thing.
Good catch. Not to mention the fact that "hundreds of albums" don't even come out every month. In any given month, there are around 25-30 mainstream releases, plus another 20 or so more "indie" records. Even if you dig into the underground, you're still going to struggle to scrounge up 200 (which, yes, would be the minimum for "hundreds") new albums each month. Oh, and 45 minutes is even giving him the benefit of the doubt. Few albums are less than 30 minutes, but many albums get up to 70 or 80 minutes. 45 isn't even the mean. So 150 hours would still be less than the actual time required to listen to 200 albums a month. Lol, this guy.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-21-2012, 05:57 PM
No problem

Good catch. Not to mention the fact that "hundreds of albums" don't even come out every month. In any given month, there are around 25-30 mainstream releases, plus another 20 or so more "indie" records. Even if you dig into the underground, you're still going to struggle to scrounge up 200 (which, yes, would be the minimum for "hundreds") new albums each month. Oh, and 45 minutes is even giving him the benefit of the doubt. Few albums are less than 30 minutes, but many albums get up to 70 or 80 minutes. 45 isn't even the mean. So 150 hours would still be less than the actual time required to listen to 200 albums a month. Lol, this guy.
Yeah, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. I googled what the average album length was (my answers were just random people speculating like me) and most people seemed to like 40-50 minutes as an average. You're right though, there are some pretty lengthy albums that should bring the mean up higher.

I looked at his blog and he has done 6 actual "reviews" in July. Most of his articles are news.

OC HAU
07-21-2012, 08:05 PM
I think Robert Christgau listened to every single album produced, but at some point so many albums got produced he couldn't do it. Rock and African music are his speciality. I could be wrong about some facts so if you are interested search for it yourself. Not sure what this guy's blog does...

Alien Invader
07-22-2012, 03:56 AM
It is funny that someone who criticizes other people on a regular basis cannot take any criticism at all.

mrscottmusic
07-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Sorry, your highness. Perhaps you don't know that we are actually rating this CD every fucking day on these frigggin forums. And this SHOULD be the album of the year. It's better than Carly Rae Shitprick's new album.

You call me a thick as shit moron one more time, and I'll report every single one of your 9 spams, and ask my friends here to do the same.

But all is forgiven if you listen to my DIY music in the Your Band section. But if not, you can just stretch your ten-foot dick into your slobbering maw and suck like a deranged whore。

"And this SHOULD be the album of the year. It's better than Carly Rae Shitprick's new album." Sorry I don't even know who that is because i'm in touch with real music. That's probably some lame pop star. Don't any of you lot know any other proper bands other than the Offspring? So just because the album is (obviously) better than some shitty pop nobody's album makes it 'album of the yesr" does it? i think you need to listen to DIIV, Beak>, Django Django, Richard Hawley, Dodgy and Michael Kiwanuka and realise that theres a lot more out there than just The Offspring and loads of talentless nobodies who all come from TV talent shows. Now i WILL go, not because i'm being told to by the ARSEHOLES here, and make no mistake, arseholes is what you are. But because I'm bored of reading your pointless replies. Cya.

mrscottmusic
07-22-2012, 08:17 AM

SERIOUSLY? I was just about to leave this forum and never make another post here again, but your stupidity makes me very annoyed! You honestly think that ""hundreds of albums" don't even come out every month. In any given month, there are around 25-30 mainstream releases, plus another 20 or so more "indie" records"

I have in front of me a copy of Music Week, where I have counted at least 260 mainstream album releases for the next month, and no mention of the many, many independent albums that I know of! no wonder people these days don;t know where to find good music, they don;t even know it exists!

mrscottmusic
07-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Lol. Your Facebook page has 49 fans. MASSIVELY POPULAR. You got 250,000 hits, and only 49 of those people liked it enough to like your fan page? And a whole 162 Twitter followers! Lol, success!!! When your "followers" are half as much as those you follow, you are not "massively popular".

You asked several times for the grammar mistakes in your post. Let's see here.

So The Offspring have a new album out. Before track one begins, you already know what it's going to sound like. They have two styles - thrashy punk rock with lots of "woah oh"s, and mainstream rock tunes. Their ninth studio album, 'Days Go By', shows no sign of the California four-piece changing their familiar style. But even though it will be criticised for the lack of any new ideas, this isn't a bad album.

In fact, the faster, more direct punk numbers - like the fiery 'Turning Into You' and the addictively catchy 'Secrets From The Underground' - sound like they could have been written around the time of their finest album, 1994's 'Smash'. Tracks like the urgent 'Hurting As One', with its no-nonsense riffing, and the full-throttle excitement of 'Dividing by Zero' are blazing firecrackers that keep up the burning pace and prove that sometimes bands sticking to their same old sound can produce great results, as long as they match the quality. This sentence states that the full-throttle excitement of Dividing by Zero is what's a blazing firecracker; you wanted to say that Dividing By Zero itself is a blazing firecracker. This is the case for a number of songs on 'Days Go By', including the excellent swear word-heavy closer, 'Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell', but the album suffers from filler, such as the poor hip hop-influenced nonsense of 'Cruising California (Bumpin' in My Trunk)' and its hideously shitty lyrics ("she’s waving her caboose at you, you sneeze achoo ").

The weak Sublime parody that is 'OC Guns' OC Guns is not a Sublime song, so you can't say "of OC Guns" is an attempt at a mariachi-tinged pop hit, while 'I Wanna Secret' is unimaginative mainstream rock with some embarrassingly bad lyrics. The album's more rock ballad-y moments also drag the overall quality down, although 'All I Have Left Is You' is as good as the Offspring's more sentimental moments get and reveals a more introspective tone to Dexter Holland's vocals.

There you go. Tons of missing commas and missing hyphens. Lots of badly-structured sentences, too, but I left them because it'd be too much work to fix them.

By the way, I wouldn't give Days Go By 10/10, nor would I name it album of the year. I listen to a shitload of albums and have thought about keeping a music review blog, but I simply don't have the time to keep it up. Just because it's not the greatest album, though, doesn't make your review any better.

I'd hardly call these tiny mistakes (some of which aren't even mistakes, they are open to preference) a "disaster" of a review. Grow up and admit the fact that you don't like my review because it doesn't match your opinions. With that i AM off now. See you losers in 3 years time when the Offspring release their next effort.

sneedo83
07-22-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm hoping this gets him banned, insulting the regulars.

Godxilla
07-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Seriously. I'm gonna report all 12 of his flaming attacks, just so that in 3 years, we can smile knowing that he has been banned and is never coming back. I encourage all other sane members here to do the same.

Edit: There, I just reported his shit. With any luck, he gets eternally banned and we create a special thread to commemorate his destruction. And how dare he order me to listen to Mathias Kiwanuka's music, because I'm too stupid to think for myself.
If he gave two fucks about getting to know us, he would know that the Offspring isn't even my favorite band.

Llamas
07-22-2012, 10:34 AM
i think you need to listen to DIIV, Beak>, Django Django, Richard Hawley, Dodgy and Michael Kiwanuka and realise that theres a lot more out there than just The Offspring and loads of talentless nobodies who all come from TV talent shows.
Lol, because people here didn't like your review, you think we don't know any bands besides the Offspring? That's hilarious. I guess that's why the Offspring makes up about 0.05% of what I listen to. I think you need to listen to the Rural Alberta Advantage, Amanda Palmer, Regina Spektor, The Walkmen, the Dirty Projectors, and Elliott Brood and realize that you're not the only person who's heard of awesome music. I'm capable of listening to a huge range of music (hell, I studied music for a few years) and STILL liking the Offspring! :eek: Shocker, right??

Now i WILL go, not because i'm being told to by the ARSEHOLES here, and make no mistake, arseholes is what you are. But because I'm bored of reading your pointless replies. Cya.

ROFL, "I'm leaving cause you guys are mean and don't like my review and I'm sad and butthurt, so I'm leaving goodbye! But wait, I still have a few more people to respond to..."

I'd hardly call these tiny mistakes (some of which aren't even mistakes, they are open to preference) a "disaster" of a review. Grow up and admit the fact that you don't like my review because it doesn't match your opinions. With that i AM off now. See you losers in 3 years time when the Offspring release their next effort.
If you think they're "open to preference", then you're in a worse state than I imagined. I teach English professionally to doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc. I'm pretty sure I know when commas and hyphens should be used. I expect better grammar from the sources I read.

Little_Miss_1565
07-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Goddamit. No patience for an attention-whoring two-bit fucking "music critic." How exactly did you expect this to go down?

Also, Richard Hawley is god. This is a fact. However, dude, you are on the Offspring's forum. Not exactly a shared fanbase. You're just spamming the link to your website to get hits and generate comments. Mission accomplished. Now quit being a douche.

If he's just here to be a dick and promote his shitty blog and not to participate in the community, I don't see why he needs to keep his account. I'll go consult the oracle.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-22-2012, 11:43 AM
With that i AM off now.

NOOO! You didn't reply to anything I said. Come back. :)