PDA

View Full Version : I'm already thinking about the next album (kind' critical) *with useless parentheses*

OC HAU
07-15-2012, 11:34 AM
The new album is great, it's all 10/10 and some pluses, but I wonder why it's not really a game-changer or why allmusic.com rated the last 3 albums from 2 to 2 and a half stars which is like GOOD with some maybe even perfect songs here and there. Not sure why I think like that, maybe I'm kinda greedy or maybe I'm just dreaming while I know it doesn't happen a lot of times during any career.

While they put a lot of effort into it, there are still some predictable things and playing it safe attitude. Maybe, I just watch too closely what's going on with the band. Time to change some fundamentals and I guess reinvent it because we dug deeper with DGB, let's go back to school and get PHD finally, I approve now, a few years back it seemed like a waste of time and Gringo Bandito too. Anyway, what's up with trendy artwork with trees like Smashing Pumpkins, they did it too. :d And Linkin Park did "Splinter" artwork. :d

1. First 6 albums is a typical offspring for me, then it started to diversify on Splinter which is not a bad thing, but I guess I'm tired of that model, it's like we will make a song for "Country" crowd, we will make a song for tru punx crowd, we will make a song for Pretty Fly crowd...etc and I feel that something's not cool about it.

2. Lack of innovation and it's getting kinda late just like RFRG's influences came kinda late. I already saw some cool things in AFI or Bush. OC Guns surprised me, but strangely it got grounded as overproduced by allmusic. :d It needs to go for more than one song, you gotta merge some genre throughout at least 4 songs and put them together. I propose to split an album in 3 parts. 1st 4 songs: let's merge some African music with Punk, make it cool, rich and wintry. :d 2nd 4 songs: let's go soft pop like Incubus did with most of the last album. 3rd 4 songs: I propose four 2 minute punk songs, but there's not enough of middle eastern countries on the planet to have their guitar solos, so you gotta make dubstep, sweet electronic, violin and theramin solos.

3. Duration of songs and albums, 3 min and 40 min on average, I'm tired and bored. Let's make four 2 minute songs because that's what is/was Punk about and then let's make eight 6 minute songs. :) And then you can throw in 13th one 3 minute Pretty Fly if label wants it or whatever, tired of 12 songs too. You got 59 minutes? :d Not enough, I want a double album, 120 minutes and it better be impressive, ambitious an phenomenal, 5 stars. :D The second disc will be all jazz-punk 5 minute songs, even more than Ixnay. :d

You guys are already late and you'll never catch my dreams.

Godxilla
07-15-2012, 01:54 PM
This is bizarre!! But cool too. I would enjoy listening to what you described immensely. Just think about this though: A THIRD disc. THAT would rule. And it would consist of blistering punk like So Alone for one half, and then catchy modern rock pieces( but filled with whoas) around 3 and a half minutes. Because I want to hear the Offspring on the radio. And this third disc might get them there.

Jojan
07-15-2012, 01:59 PM
They should make the next album in less time and not put so much effort into it.

Llamas
07-15-2012, 02:23 PM
They should make the next album in less time and not put so much effort into it.

I agree. Not because I want the album faster, but because I think art gets ruined or at least loses something when the creator overthinks it. Art should be organic, and I think there is evidence in the fact that they released their earlier albums pretty fast and the quality was great. Then you look at a song like Days Go By and realize how much time they spent on it, trying to perfect it... and it's a pretty bland song without real passion. I'd love it if the band churned out another album in 2 years. Which song is it on this album that Dexter said he wrote really fast, by the way?

OC HAU
07-15-2012, 02:32 PM
This is bizarre!! But cool too. I would enjoy listening to what you described immensely. Just think about this though: A THIRD disc. THAT would rule. And it would consist of blistering punk like So Alone for one half, and then catchy modern rock pieces( but filled with whoas) around 3 and a half minutes. Because I want to hear the Offspring on the radio. And this third disc might get them there.
Oh yeah, a 3rd disc, we are not greedy at all. :D I guess Green Day made us jealous, they are doing a triple album.

Sounds like Splinter, but they still spent around 2 years on it. :D

cool 2 hate 681
07-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Which song is it on this album that Dexter said he wrote really fast, by the way?

dirty magic? :p

I agree. Not because I want the album faster, but because I think art gets ruined or at least loses something when the creator overthinks it. Art should be organic, and I think there is evidence in the fact that they released their earlier albums pretty fast and the quality was great. Then you look at a song like Days Go By and realize how much time they spent on it, trying to perfect it... and it's a pretty bland song without real passion. I'd love it if the band churned out another album in 2 years. Which song is it on this album that Dexter said he wrote really fast, by the way?

i agree days go by is a good example of when you spend too much time overworking a song trying to make it perfect

Llamas
07-15-2012, 04:17 PM
dirty magic? :p
Haha, no! It was a new song! :P

i agree days go by is a good example of when you spend too much time overworking a song trying to make it perfect
For real!

Mark Rooster
07-15-2012, 09:07 PM
It would be great if they banged out another one, like the time between Ixnay and Americana, it was less than two years. But it's fairly typical for a band with longevity like Offspring's to release albums faster when they're younger. I agree with those who say they might have put too much time into the new one, might have over-thought it a bit.

NoGuessing
07-15-2012, 09:36 PM
All I Have Left Is You was the one they did in a hotel overnight I believe.

Eskimo
07-16-2012, 02:25 AM
The new album is great, it's all 10/10 and some pluses, but I wonder why it's not really a game-changer

BWAHAHAHA!

*Laughing so hard he's just grown a third nipple* A "game-changer"? You're listening to The Offspring here, man. We like them because of what they do. They don't do innovative or artsy or respectable. The most you can ever expect from any music critic on the planet with Dex and the guys is "they bring their next batch of catchy teen-angst pop-punk back for another round, and they do what they do decently".

Thing is, that doesn't mean shit if you enjoy the band. They're just very, very simple and very, very accessible, they're never going to be seen as anything more than "those guys that were really big with Green Day for about four years a decade and a half ago". They don't really seem to have any ambitions at doing some big artsy thing trying to prove everybody wrong, either, and that's fine.

Game-changer. That's so great.

Llamas
07-16-2012, 05:47 AM
It would be great if they banged out another one, like the time between Ixnay and Americana, it was less than two years. But it's fairly typical for a band with longevity like Offspring's to release albums faster when they're younger. I agree with those who say they might have put too much time into the new one, might have over-thought it a bit.
Yeah, I don't really expect the Offspring to release another album quickly. It's VERY uncommon for mainstream bands with this much longevity to release albums any less than three years apart, if that. But it'd be cool if they did it.

That's what I thought. I guess that's kind of a controversial track in terms of loving or hating it, but I think it shows that it wasn't overthought. It may have ended up being ultra overproduced, but the song itself wasn't overwritten.

*Laughing so hard he's just grown a third nipple* A "game-changer"? You're listening to The Offspring here, man. We like them because of what they do. They don't do innovative or artsy or respectable. The most you can ever expect from any music critic on the planet with Dex and the guys is "they bring their next batch of catchy teen-angst pop-punk back for another round, and they do what they do decently".
The last "game changer" album the Offspring wrote was Smash, and it wasn't because the Offspring did anything new; it was just because it busted the charts and was incredibly successful. Anyone who expects a game changer from the Offspring has a very strange and misguided view of the band. I have no illusions of why I like this band. They're fun and energetic, they sometimes have great lyrics, and they know how to write serious, dark songs as well as fun songs that put you in a good mood. That's what I like about them, and I don't really expect anything more.

Thing is, that doesn't mean shit if you enjoy the band. They're just very, very simple and very, very accessible, they're never going to be seen as anything more than "those guys that were really big with Green Day for about four years a decade and a half ago". They don't really seem to have any ambitions at doing some big artsy thing trying to prove everybody wrong, either, and that's fine.
This is an important distinction regarding The Offspring and Green Day. Both bands are good at fun, energetic songs. Green Day also released several great rocking albums that I still listen to now and then. Then they both started getting a bit stale to the mainstream and the general public, and were faced with a decision. Their response to that is why I'm still a fan of the Offspring, but not Green Day. Green Day went all out and changed who they were entirely. They started attempting a lot of different styles of music, and while it got their name back in the spotlight, they're really just not that good at it. It all feels so forced and unnatural. 21st Century sounds NOTHING LIKE anything from Warning and earlier. The Offspring, on the other hand, tried a few experiments. I'd be lying if I said they haven't tried to find the spotlight again. However, they're still the same band at the core. Each album from Americana on has something new and experimental, but the albums as their wholes are still The Offspring. They try new stuff, but they know who they are. Green Day has forgotten what made them famous in the first place.

OC HAU
07-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Good point on overthinking or overproduction, I see that more people think like that. I wonder if they are under pressure or if they put too much pressure on themselves. I mean even without innovation or artsy albums they could have scored more. At this point I think it would be ideal if they had one more album to this date.

Talking about DGB, anyone having mp3 of alternate version?

I don't know which one he wrote fast.

Yeah, but only lyrics I guess. It's a song from RFRG's sessions.

BWAHAHAHA!

Game-changer. That's so great.
I love making people laugh.

A third nipple would suit Jojan though. Yeah, a game-changer, they talk about breaking rules so why not, in yo mouth; and they are not really ashamed of experimentation, but they keep it low. Not sure if Fix You, All I have left and Cruising California is a good direction though.

Mark Rooster
07-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Do you think they'll remain on Columbia after this album? Sales are pretty low, even compared to the last album; makes me wonder if it might be their last on Columbia. Who knows, though, they've been with them so long, they must make some money for the label, I guess.

cool 2 hate 681
07-16-2012, 12:13 PM
maybe bob rock can get them signed to 311 records :p

Rooster
07-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Do you think they'll remain on Columbia after this album? Sales are pretty low, even compared to the last album; makes me wonder if it might be their last on Columbia. Who knows, though, they've been with them so long, they must make some money for the label, I guess.

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they'll renew the contract, but if the sales are too low this may fall into water. But somehow I can't imagine them going back to an independent label. Or is it possible? It has happened before, with Bad Religion and Anti-Flag for example.

P.S.: Didn't mean to steal your nickname, I only looked if Rooster was free and it was, didn't see you around before. But hey, it looks like roosters think alike :D

Mark Rooster
07-16-2012, 03:45 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they'll renew the contract, but if the sales are too low this may fall into water. But somehow I can't imagine them going back to an independent label. Or is it possible? It has happened before, with Bad Religion and Anti-Flag for example.

P.S.: Didn't mean to steal your nickname, I only looked if Rooster was free and it was, didn't see you around before. But hey, it looks like roosters think alike :D

Yeah, half the bands on Side One Dummy are ex-major label bands.

It's a good name! I started the account in 2006, but haven't posted much till recently. I used to post more on the previous board, but didn't use this name then.

OC HAU
07-16-2012, 04:12 PM
I think everything will stay the same for at least the next album. If Dex finishes his PHD I wonder what will happen, maybe nothing and we will just call him Doctor Holland.

Low sales are everywhere so...Linkin Park will crush them, but there aren't that many bands like that.

NoGuessing
07-16-2012, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they just wrote a dozen or so new tracks and uploaded them to the site for download without bothering about a new label. They've been making noises about wanting to use the internet more than they're allowed to since CO1.