PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight Rises

sneedo83
07-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Going to check this out tonight, I've heard good things for the most part although I have tried to shield myself from all of the spoilery or bad things.

I want to go in with a clean mind, I've only seen 2 trailers and have read next to nothing about the movie.

Anyone else heading out to a midnight showing?

TheNooseIsFalling
07-19-2012, 03:51 PM
I am, but where I live it's not in the theaters until the 25th. I already know I'm gonna be a hipster bitch and say Bane's better than the Joker.

Tiny Vessels
07-19-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm so looking forward to seeing The Dark Knight Rises. But I'm gonna wait a couple weeks to see it so not every showing of it is sold out.

jacknife737
07-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Got tickets for the midnight showing tonight: about to go leave to line up for a decent spot.

WebDudette
07-19-2012, 08:17 PM
A bunch of coworkers and I got reserved seating at a dinner theater, FUCK YEAH!

sneedo83
07-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Got tickets for the midnight showing tonight: about to go leave to line up for a decent spot.

Yeah, I am working until 11 tonight, luckily I have my girlfriend getting us good seats at a locally owned theater, we might even get the recliners they offer.

This theater that we're going to serves food too, they serve these awesome things called Chubby's, basically a calzone filled with great stuff.

I had the "Big Daddy Buffalo Chicken Chubby" the other day, check this thing out!

http://www.foodspotting.com/reviews/2078362

WebDudette
07-20-2012, 05:09 AM
Man, I'm not sure how to come out ahead and make sure everyone knows I was right on this one. Basically, I was super fucking psyched to go see the Dark Knight Rises, not because I thought the first two were great, and not because I thought this one would be great. I was really excited to see the movie because a bunch of awesome coworkers, myself, and a girl I have a date with soon all went to see it together at a theater that served beer and food. I was fucking so psyched for that, a bunch of cool people, beer, and food.

MINOR SPOILERS BRAH, TURN AWAY.

Anyway, I've been going on about how excited I am to see this movie even though all of Christopher Nolan's movies have been, in my mind, convoluted, excruciatingly long, and overall kind of boring. Now, I'm not saying I Memento, Inception, and the Batman series are bad movies, they're just... ehhhh. I'm just saying they really aren't very good and none of them really have any rewatch value. He just tries to put waaaay to much shit into his movies. I mean, there might have been a whole 20 minutes of Batman in all of TDKR, a movie that's almost 3 hours long. For a movie with so fucking much going on, almost nothing of value happened. The Dark Knight is certainly no exception, that movie had so much useless shit going on. It's just that... I never actively disliked them movie, so I just never cared enough to mention how I felt about it because I knew it would make a bunch of people buttmad and I just didn't care or dislike it enough to have that argument. Also, they named JGL's character after a Robin, and then at the end said his 'real' name was Robin. Motherfucker, if you say anyones 'real' name is Robin and not Dick Grayson I am going to be mad. To be fair, his characters name throughout the whole movie was John Blake, who is a Robin, but still.

So yeah, let's discuss this a little more later when I'm not tipsy and sleep deprived, but I've never been a big fan of Christopher Nolan and I am not at all surprised that TDKR just wasn't very good.

Protip: Scott Pilgrim is the most entertaining comic book movie to date.

WebDudette
07-20-2012, 05:12 AM
Also, I'm glad I went, because predate date, shit food, okay beer, and friends. Oh, and it gave me the encouragement I needed to read some more Batman comics, I need a palate cleanser.

TheJakes84
07-20-2012, 08:10 AM
http://gma.yahoo.com/mass-shooting-colo-movie-theater-14-people-dead-085940786--abc-news-topstories.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chTp1QozUDs

Innocent folks didn't deserve that.

SHIT IS FUCKED UP

The person shooting-spree deserve a life sentence or the gas chamber or torture by trolls.

SO, I don't know if am down to go see it for myself (the movie) or else like otherwise just stay at home.

KTILLA23
07-20-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm going to wait like every other movie and rent it for a buck in a few months.

Microwave Jellyfish
07-20-2012, 02:54 PM
http://gma.yahoo.com/mass-shooting-colo-movie-theater-14-people-dead-085940786--abc-news-topstories.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chTp1QozUDs
And they identified the guy as 24-year-old James Holmes. Listening to O.C. Guns is going to be pretty strange from now on.

OC HAU
07-20-2012, 04:01 PM
No value? Then, don't go watching, don't support. Cam rip torrent is enough. Find better friends with values or fuck friends. :D Fuck for no value. :D How deep is that?

TheNooseIsFalling
07-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Oh man, this shooting thing is so fucked up. I don't even know what to say or think. It's just fucking tragic.

Outerspaceman21
07-21-2012, 02:19 PM
I was surprised and shocked when I heard about the shooting. When I woke up, I had just walked into the hall when my mom called out to me to come to the TV room. I was expecting something along the lines of "Dark Knight Rises makes X amount of money from midnight premiere", but instead got this tragedy, which just took me off guard. My first immediate thought was, after seeing the location, I thought "Colorado again?" Afterwards, my overall feeling was "great, as if we don't have enough things to be paranoid about, we have to be scared about getting shot up in a movie theater now."

On to the main topic, Haven't seen Dark Knight Rises yet, but i'm going to see it on Monday with my mom. I wanted to get friends together to go see it yesterday, but more were either at work or didn't want to see it because it would be too crowded.

_Lost_
07-22-2012, 01:33 AM
I completely and thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I didn't much care for The Dark Knight. Its my least favorite of the three. My only real complaint is that the sound was too damn loud. Batman and Bane are hard enough to understand... Then they were all "Let's turn up this conversation between Bane and Batman really, really loud, so that you can't understand a damn word they say".

"BAAAAATmann humm a na ma numiny ha."
Bane grumble grumble groan."

Also, I simply can't wrap my mind around someone walking into a theater and shooting 70 people. I want to know what the real story is behind that guy, because obviously he's a total whacko, but I don't believe for a second that he actually believes he is the Joker. Every single article mentions him saying that and people are speculating whether its inspired by the violence of Batman because of that. I think he was saying it like it was his own personal joke. Batman does not encourage the idea of shooting up a theater full of young people.

OC HAU
07-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Hasn't topped Breivik, that's good. I'm still waiting for 100. This one was typical around 10.

Lupin
07-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Man, I'm not sure how to come out ahead and make sure everyone knows I was right on this one. Basically, I was super fucking psyched to go see the Dark Knight Rises, not because I thought the first two were great, and not because I thought this one would be great. I was really excited to see the movie because a bunch of awesome coworkers, myself, and a girl I have a date with soon all went to see it together at a theater that served beer and food. I was fucking so psyched for that, a bunch of cool people, beer, and food.

MINOR SPOILERS BRAH, TURN AWAY.

Anyway, I've been going on about how excited I am to see this movie even though all of Christopher Nolan's movies have been, in my mind, convoluted, excruciatingly long, and overall kind of boring. Now, I'm not saying I Memento, Inception, and the Batman series are bad movies, they're just... ehhhh. I'm just saying they really aren't very good and none of them really have any rewatch value. He just tries to put waaaay to much shit into his movies. I mean, there might have been a whole 20 minutes of Batman in all of TDKR, a movie that's almost 3 hours long. For a movie with so fucking much going on, almost nothing of value happened. The Dark Knight is certainly no exception, that movie had so much useless shit going on. It's just that... I never actively disliked them movie, so I just never cared enough to mention how I felt about it because I knew it would make a bunch of people buttmad and I just didn't care or dislike it enough to have that argument. Also, they named JGL's character after a Robin, and then at the end said his 'real' name was Robin. Motherfucker, if you say anyones 'real' name is Robin and not Dick Grayson I am going to be mad. To be fair, his characters name throughout the whole movie was John Blake, who is a Robin, but still.

So yeah, let's discuss this a little more later when I'm not tipsy and sleep deprived, but I've never been a big fan of Christopher Nolan and I am not at all surprised that TDKR just wasn't very good.

Protip: Scott Pilgrim is the most entertaining comic book movie to date.

Which Robin is named John Blake??

WebDudette
07-22-2012, 06:19 PM
I don't know how or why I said that. No Robin has ever been named John Blake, to my knowledge.

Lupin
07-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Well, i went to see this last night. Despite having SW:Episode 1 levels of excitement for it, I was left a little disappointed. Sadly, I think all the reasons why could've been sorted before the film aired.
The Dark Knight i felt suffered from a horrendous sound mix, which goes from loud to quiet with each scene transition. The Dark Knight Rises was even worse. When the first trailer for DKR came out, there was criticism that it may be difficult to hear Bane. When the 6 minute introduction came out, the same thing happened. How have they fixed that very worrying problem that character clarity is generally required in a film??
Seemingly several ways:
Increase the volume on certain parts; leading to blending between voices, music and explosions. I know that Bane wasn't Joker-esque in his need for dialogue heavy scenes, but this is a big budget film making company. Surely someone noticed!
And, the second; What sounded like an isolated dub on some of Banes scenes. Something that threw me completely from the film as it sounded like an inner monologue of Darth Vaders Holiday Insurrection out-takes. If it was intentional to make his voice appear unattached to the character, then they did it perfectly...on occasion. The other times, it was the film track and i had little idea what he was saying anyway...and at times didn't care.

Still on voices, it wasn't just Bane who got a bum deal. Jim Gordon seemed to suffer from loss of clarity at one point, in which he was out laying some plot points (oddly though, this was again a trailer scene!?!?!). Bales' Batman always throws everything behind his voice, and even though it's lesser in DKR than in previous films, I did chuckle at him growl-shrieking "where is the trigger?" a few times whilst Bane unnadible and at some times high pitched quasi-posh-English voice barks back something about hope and death and stuff.

Despite this, i left the film happy. Christian Bale nailed Bruce Wayne, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a nice addition to the cast, as was Selina Kyle. And Bane did the business physically if not vocally. Tom Hardy looks truly fearsome.
If this sounds like a rant more than a favourable review then it is. But I really did like the film.

Apathy
07-24-2012, 11:04 AM
As far as the Robin thing goes, you had to see it coming. As soon as they announced that JGL was going to be in the movie at all in fact, I had pretty much mentally pegged him as Batman's successor. Given the mainstream success of the last movie, I understand that they couldn't name him Dick Grayson outright because then the fanboys and imdb dweebs would know too early, but they couldn't reveal him as Dick Grayson in the movie either because then the general non comic reading public wouldn't even catch the fact that he's Robin, which they're supposed to.

I don't know how to feel about JGL. Love most of his movies. Kind of hate him as a person (but I can tell that it spawns out of some form of twisted jealousy that it doesn't make sense to have about a celebrity). He was in the movie more than Batman was it seemed.

0r4ng3
07-24-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't know how or why I said that. No Robin has ever been named John Blake, to my knowledge.
There was a Robin named Tim Drake, which I believe they based this character partially off of. In the comics, Drake is one of the few people to figure out on his own that Bruce Wayne is Batman.

TheNooseIsFalling
07-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Holy shit this kicked ass. It was a bit less intelligent than the second one, but it was more thrilling overall. And it did have those key themes that make these movies so much more than most of the big budget mainstream blockbusters out there.

RageAndLov
07-28-2012, 08:51 AM
It was a good film, but not that good as The Dark Knight. That's probably because the Joker made The Dark Knight so great, and he is dead.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-28-2012, 09:54 AM
I had trouble understanding Bane's motivation for creating his twisted controlled-anarchy. He just seemed like a bitter dude.

I like The Dark Knight a lot better. The way the Joker is portrayed in that movie is so interesting. He is one of the most intriguing villains there is.

RageAndLov
07-28-2012, 10:30 AM
I had trouble understanding Bane's motivation for creating his twisted controlled-anarchy. He just seemed like a bitter dude.

Watch the first film, Batman Begins. He has the same exact motive as Liam Neeson.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Oh okay. I saw that movie forever ago but I remember nothing about it.

0r4ng3
07-29-2012, 10:11 AM
He did that to give the illusion of hope to the people of Gotham, to make despair hit even harder. He wanted them to believe that they could take back their city, when really he was going to destroy it regardless. He never meant to start an actual revolution.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-29-2012, 12:00 PM
That makes more sense now. I still prefer the Joker as a villain. He's fascinating and he has no real motivation other than to try and bring the worst out of people.

Eskimo
07-31-2012, 04:27 AM
I can't really even believe how much this movie pisses me off. And it's not the Robin thing, even, though I thought that throwaway line at the end was pretty unnecessary, could have just as easily been left out and have him as just a "Robin in spirit" type of character.

Saw it opening night, I've kind of purposely left it a couple of weeks before going to check it out again, let it sink in a while and see if upon second viewing it's any less "fuck you, Nolan". I had a few pretty major problems with the last flick as a Batman movie, but at least it was a coherent and admirable film forgetting the "Batman" stuff. The script was good as a script. The sequel's a complete clusterfuck, it actually threw me, because while this interpretation of this world isn't really to my tastes, Nolan's flicks are usually at least "quality", and pretty tightly made.

Begins is overall a really solid, pretty-much-awesome movie. It destroys both of the sequels.

I think I'll need to see this again before really articulating why it sucks so hard, but to me I think the major, major "holy fuck! What was THAT shit?!" aspects were Bruce just giving up his "crusade/mission" after the events of the last film. Rachel dying wouldn't make fucking BATMAN go away for eight years, he'd just get further lost in the monster, out every night beating the shit out of people and getting closer to the edge. The second being Alfred just ditching Bruce entirely when the shit hits the fan. Alfred Goddamn Pennyworth? Nein, Nolan, nein.

After liking the first flick a whole lot, by the end of all this I'm just really wishing Aronofsky or Proyas got the job back in 2004 as originally planned. Far too much ass-kissing with this series, it's *really* not half as amazing as the credit it gets. TDK has a great script, and plenty of missing-the-obvious-in-the-directing-it moments that would have made it so much fucking better.

Have to say it, too, Bale in-suit is just goddamn awful.

T-6005
08-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Finally saw it today. I was left underwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it. It was pretty alright to watch and I just like watching batman on-screen. The plot twist with the villain reveal towards the end was absolutely terrible, though. Extremely disappointing, as was how hard the movie worked towards wrapping everything up tidily at the end - I had kind of appreciated the ending as Nolan's sign-off before the 'Return of the King'-esque vignettes showed exactly what everyone was up to.

Plus the movie is full of plot holes. Just ridiculous in that sense. But we won't go into that. Overall - and as someone who hasn't gone back on their love for The Dark Knight like so many have seemed to - it was just that... pretty good. Despite feeling like I avoided the hype, I guess I did overestimate the movie a little bit. I didn't expect to like it as much as TDK, but I also hoped that it would have more rewatch value than Inception (which, in case it wasn't clear, is absolutely impossible to watch more than once because of the same tedious proto-expository ramblings that TDKR suffers from).

Eskimo
08-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Overall - and as someone who hasn't gone back on their love for The Dark Knight like so many have seemed to - it was just that... pretty good

I was pretty up-in-arms about all the Dark Knight love from day one. The Nolan ass-kissing is all just so undeserved, but I get the praise for the script in that movie. Aside from the ridiculously overlong and overemphasized barge/bomb scene, the movie's really tightly-written, ambitious, and a really, really fucking good Michael Mann tribute.

As a Batman movie, I have my enormous problems with it. The whole visual design of the movie is donkey dick, too. And Chris still can't direct a fight to save his balls from a woodchipper.

Rises I had a lot of hope for, too, the trailers really give off the "feel" of steering the ship more back towards the Begins tone. Which I suppose is true. I won't whine about the Talia reveal stuff, any nerd, anyone out of the "Joe Public" category saw that coming as soon as Tate showed up on screen. That's all fine. She was just undercooked as fuck, and it plain didn't work.

Bane's entire motivations boil down to "raar blow up Gotham!", all of that class division and social retribution shit it plays up in the trailers just plain isn't there, aside from a few moments of his grandiose speechifying.

I will say, though, Bats in-suit is done a lot better this time than in TDK. A whole lot. And both Selina and Blake are awesome characters. Again, though, it's the whole fucking core of the movie that doesn't work. Bruce is out of character, Alfred's a "tha FUCK?!" situation, the nuke thing is in broad terms just a rehash of the gizmo in Begins, only surprisingly not done half as well.

I'd have to see it again to see if I missed anything with the Ras/Talia flashback situation, but from what I remember it doesn't make any goddamn sense. So Bane protects Talia, Ras rejects Bane from the League anyway for his freakishness (ostensibly after at least some training), and Bane's going to devote himself entirely to Talia's wish of fulfilling Ra's grand plan anyway?

Bitch bitch bitch, whine whine whine, it's what I'm good at when something's sucky.

Really wanted to like this, too. In all honesty, I think Schumacher's first movie is above this for me. At least the Bruce and Bats character stuff in that is good, even if parts of the plot are gorilla dong.

OC HAU
08-10-2012, 05:22 AM
So I watched a cam rip torrent with subtitles, then read wiki's plot in case I missed something and that's it.

Offspring-Junkie
08-12-2012, 05:32 AM
I enjoyed "The Dark Knight" way more than "The Dork Knight Rises".

ThunderPX
08-12-2012, 08:14 AM
"The Dork Knight Rises".

Wow man, that's funny. Did you come up with that by yourself?

findout5
08-13-2012, 03:57 AM
I enjoyed "The Dark Knight" way more than "The Dork Knight Rises".

It was always going to be hard to surpass The Dark Knight. And even though TDKR doesn't surpass it, the bar is still high. And the end is very fitting. You gotta look at the whole thing as a trilogy.

Offspring-Junkie
08-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Wow man, that's funny. Did you come up with that by yourself?

I steal all my jokes from Krusty the Clown.

For sure someone came up with that joke before, but don't ask me who.

T-6005
08-15-2012, 11:16 PM
It was always going to be hard to surpass The Dark Knight. And even though TDKR doesn't surpass it, the bar is still high. And the end is very fitting. You gotta look at the whole thing as a trilogy.

It works a lot better if you don't. Because if you don't, you end up with a decent superhero movie, The Dark Knight (which is a great take on an almost reverse-heist flick) and some piece of crap.

Whereas if you take is a trilogy you get four and a half hours of Batman and then almost three hours of bullshit nonsense in which the worst prison in the world is a hole in the ground and broken backs can be fixed through punching. That's the summation of 'a symbol criminals can be afraid of.'

"First I'll strengthen my legs with this thing that allows me to kick through walls. Then I'll swing away ineffectually at a guy in a mask, get thrown into a misnomer of a hole with a TV I'll never watch but will throw rocks at, get punched in the back and climb out of the hole after two tries, then give my job (which I only got through years of training and becoming a badass [only apparently to forget how to do that in the last few months], as well as truly mastering my fears and almost dying) to some guy who can't even get his partner out of a sewer grate alive. Also he's an orphan too and worked out who I am because apparently we're both struggling with some anger issues which makes perfect sense, so I guess I'll amend my will which I supposedly died before getting to amend to give him the GPS coordinates to the batcave which would be useless because technically they would just point to Wayne Manor and not under it to a waterfall but what the hell right? Also Alfred gets all of my riches of which I have none and Gotham suffers from absolutely no radiation thanks to an atomic explosion only a few miles offshore."

Eskimo
08-16-2012, 12:49 AM
After a second viewing, I really, really fucking hate this thing.

It's not even that it's the worst superhero movie ever or anything, it's kinda-sorta serviceable, in that Quantum Of Solace kind of way. Unlike that movie, though, it's not just "average but gets the job done", because all of the out-of-character shit just mounts on top of the dumb script to make it not only a "worse movie" than the previous one, it's just a shitty representation of Batman overall.

Guess they'll reboot it in 6 or 7 years, since this Justice League thing with Affleck most likely won't actually play out. I just hope they're not going to be building some new continuity around Snyder-Superman, since the tone of that from the trailer just looks so goddamn wrong.

WebDudette
08-16-2012, 01:10 AM
I want to be optimistic about Superman, but holy shit his movies are terrible.

You know how some of Batman's defining characteristics are the fact that he doesn't use guns or kill people? Did someone forget that when they were writing that ridiculously anticlimactic, bullshit scene where they decided to have Catwoman kill off one of Batman's greatest enemies with a fucking rocket launcher?

T-6005
08-16-2012, 01:23 AM

You know how some of Batman's defining characteristics are the fact that he doesn't use guns or kill people? Did someone forget that when they were writing that ridiculously anticlimactic, bullshit scene where they decided to have Catwoman kill off one of Batman's greatest enemies with a fucking rocket launcher?

I'm disappointed. You forget when Batman flew the Batwing, shot at the truck with the bomb in it and killed the driver himself.

Eskimo
08-16-2012, 02:04 AM
Bane so isn't one of Batman's greatest rogues, girlfriiiiiieeend.

He's like Venom. Awesome in the very first run, but he's not exactly deep. I didn't even mind the portrayal in this, of the Eastern-Euro painkillered-up gringo, that's all fine, it was the motivations that were chimp-scrotum.

More than that, though, Talia. Holy shit, Talia. What was THAT shit, Nolan? She probably had less development than chicks in Michael Bay movies.

God I'll be glad to get rid of Bale, though. He's a good Wayne (at least in the first two), but so, so bad as Bats himself.

New director, supernatural/non 't3h re@lizmz" elements, an actual costume that looks like Batman this time, make Gotham actually a crazy dystopian art-deco metropolis again. Somewhere in between 89 and Begins, that's where the tone for any reboot needs to be. Get Proyas or Aronofsky or something, motherfuckers.

EDIT* To be fair about the gun thing, every screen-Batman (since 89, anyway) has used guns and stuff on his vehicles. And Wayne killed a few dozen people in Begins, with Bats killing Ras at the end. Doesn't make it any less bullshit, just sayin'. It's not a first.

Anyway, bring on Cap and Thor 2. Hell, even IM3's going to be rad, now that they've ditched Favreau and brought in Black. I'm really hoping Superman is good, the world needs a good Supes flick (I didn't even hate Singer's, despite it obviously being flawed, it got the "feel" right), but Snyder's so fucking not suited to make that movie I'll be skeptical until walking out of the theater.

WebDudette
08-16-2012, 02:24 AM
I'm actually not that upset about movie Batman having/using guns or killing people. I am upset that they think having Catwoman shoot Bane with a fucking rocket launcher is a fitting end to the movie and the series.

I remember Captain America being really bad. I just didn't find it at all compelling, I was bored enough to fall asleep, and I don't do that often. Thor was great, but only because it was super silly and full of dumb jokes. That's really the only reason I truly enjoyed the Avengers. The story wasn't great and the villain wasn't threatening at all, but all silly jokes and character interactions made it work for me. Also, you always knew that Tony Stark was going to make it back alive, but unlike Batman's 'death' it got me going a little bit, made me care. When Batman 'died' I didn't care, at all. Then when he came back I didn't care, at all.

Eskimo
08-16-2012, 03:33 AM
You suck. :P The first half of Cap was absolutely goddamn perfect, until they started up with the GI Joe Cobra laser-Nazis. I see why they did it, though, wanting to tie it into Thor to kind of ease the intro into The Avengers. I really, really wish it were Steve V.S. regular ol' Wehrmacht dudes for at least some of it (hell, Indy gets away with it, why not Cap? Joe's own movie The Rocketeer does too), but even the second half of Cap isn't horrible. Both Thor and the first Iron Man fall apart in the third act, too.

But Evans just fucking NAILS the portrayal in that. And Joe Johnston's underrated as hell as a director, really knows how to structure the character moments and stage action scenes. The cheesiness of the Cap flick was intentional. It's like an old-school no-gray-areas adventure romp from the 30s/40s.

As for the Avengers, I think the very basic alien invasion plot works to its advantage. Joss is great with that stuff, he had so much to work with in terms of these six totally different characters somehow melding on-screen together, it could have very easily been a total clusterfuck. But it's almost like their place within this crazy situation and their reactions to everything that's the meat of the movie, not the plot itself.

And about Selina killing Bane, what exactly is the giant problem with it? I'm not defending this flick in the slightest, but it's a decent enough decision for the movie. Contrasting Selina's moral code with Bruce's. The bullshit part about that to me was Talia taking down fucking Batman with a knife. She's LoS, if they wanted to extend it into some fight scene, fine, but since when the fuck would a two-inch blade take out Bruce after he's just gone toe-to-toe with Bane and inexplicably kicked his ass the second time? It seems he wasn't paralyzed or had his spine severed or whatever, given the final scene.

There's so much other shit wrong with that final cops V.S. mercs showdown, the fact Selina blew Bane away didn't even show on my radar. Doesn't bug me at all, at least it aligns with the character's personality, unlike ALL THE FUCKING ALFRED AND BRUCE STUFF CAPITAL LETTERS MAKE ME ORGASM.

Grr.

jacknife737
08-16-2012, 08:33 PM

Eh, that's not always the case.

Dark Knight Returns had batman using guns, AND killing people.

WebDudette
08-16-2012, 08:56 PM
It just seems wrong to me to end a several year trilogy and to kill the most powerful villian in that series with a shitty character, a stupid motorcycle, and a rocket launcher. To be fair though, that's one of my smaller complaints. There were so many thing I didn't like about the movie immediately after finishing it. The more I think about it and the more I talk about it, the more I dislike it.

WebDudette
08-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Dark Knight Returns had batman using guns, AND killing people.

I haven't read Dark Knight Returns, but Frank Miller is crazy and I'm not surprised.

Eskimo
08-17-2012, 02:13 AM
Well, yeah, to be fair Miller-Batman isn't really the more classic traditional Batman, he's a little harder-edge and no-nonsense like his Daredevil interpretation. I love Miller's early Bats stuff though, Year One and TDKR are stunning books. His recent All Star stuff is pretty much ass, though. Wouldn't call him crazy, he's just a crotchety ageing guy who doesn't like the hippie kids on his lawn.

Dudette, I still don't think the Selina-killing-Bane thing is an issue. The previous few minutes were the "Batman rising" thing, with him coming back and beating the everloving shit out of Bane. You kind of have to kill Bane off, given how many resources the guy has, and it's the final movie. Bats isn't going to do that (although in Nolan's world it wouldn't be a first), it's within reason Selina would waste a guy though. It's a little deus ex machina, but whatever.

Much more that's wrong with the movie, the way Bane dies is a pretty minor gripe.

WebDudette
08-17-2012, 02:34 AM
you're right that in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but I'm still not happy about it. man, it could have been so good too.

Eskimo
08-17-2012, 05:02 AM
Thinking about the Cap 2 thing is bugging me a bit, though, now that I brought it up before. Winter Soldier's the villain. Which is fine and all, but isn't it a little early for that? Cap's been running around the modern world for, what, a couple weeks at most in Avengers? It would stand to reason Cap 2 wouldn't be set too far after that, since it deals with him adjusting to modern life and all.

Seems weird bringing back Bucky so early, in "Steve time" from his perspective the dude was killed not so long ago. They'd be better off going with Zemo or Strucker or something, hell, even Crossbones or Punisher (would be interesting, Marvel has him back now) to contrast the whole ethos thing. Save Winter Soldier/Bucky for a third, so it has more impact.

Not sure how they'll approach the Soviet stuff, too, it'll be interesting to see if they keep all that. Maybe Fury served in 'Nam or something, and they'll tie Bucky into that, fucking over SHIELD in the 60s and 70s and stuff, doesn't age.

And Falcon's in it, which is awesome. They'd better have Sharon too, though, and not make Steve be running around with Black Widow/Hawkeye/Falcon. Sharon & Falcon, dammit. Steve's awesome modern crew.

Lupin
08-20-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm actually not that upset about movie Batman having/using guns or killing people. I am upset that they think having Catwoman shoot Bane with a fucking rocket launcher is a fitting end to the movie and the series.

I remember Captain America being really bad. I just didn't find it at all compelling, I was bored enough to fall asleep, and I don't do that often. Thor was great, but only because it was super silly and full of dumb jokes. That's really the only reason I truly enjoyed the Avengers.

My thoughts exactly. There's something about Captain America in films that makes me chuckle! Bouncing around with his shield and daft mask. The CA film itself was one of the most explosively boring films since SW:Attack Of The Clones. Which it should've won an award for.
After having seen TDKR for the second time, i stand by my original thoughts that whoever got paid for sound editing that film should've been locked up, it's a decent film but has suffered from some serious fan-wankage. I've been a life long Bat-fan and even though I got "episode one goosebumps" at the start of the film I again found myself worn out by stupid voices and a far far far to long middle section.

The Avengers by comparison was like a cupcake, soft airy and lacking substance...but the icing was tasty. Nice to see Iron Man, the best film version of The Hulk...err and some other people...Thor, who is pretty amusing with his silly voice and hammer! ...Captain America, who is still the daft child at the back trying to get his costume on properly.....I really hope Man Of Steel kicks some serious arse!!

Lupin
08-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Only me again, just to borrow from a tweet i've just seen...did no one else find it weird that Bane fell in love with a little girl whilst in prison?

Eskimo
08-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Lupin, you're lame and (apparently) British.

The Avengers plot was loose and basic and old-fashioned and predictable on purpose, to spend more time with the character interactions and not make it feel like a Michael Bay Transformers film. Sacrifice of complexity to deal with the characterizations. Makes perfect sense.

Bane wasn't in love with Talia, he was just protecting her from violent adult motherfuckers when they were both in the pit.

Comparing the Cap flick to Lucas's most retarded Star Wars flick makes you retarded, says Judge Dredd.

Lupin
08-22-2012, 05:04 AM
Lupin, you're lame and (apparently) British..

Comparing the Cap flick to Lucas's most retarded Star Wars flick makes you retarded, says Judge Dredd.

I see your point, and take it back along with any offence cause on your behalf...why are you Judge Dredd?? Also why am I apparently British? I'm not, I'm English.

Eskimo
08-22-2012, 06:25 AM
You've gotta be kidding me with the English-not-British thing.

What a NIPPLE.

Lupin
08-22-2012, 03:21 PM
You've gotta be kidding me with the English-not-British thing.

What a NIPPLE.

Maybe, maybe not. Undecided really.

Eskimo
08-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Fart. In. Your. General. Direction.

Harleyquiiinn
08-24-2012, 04:53 AM
Did someone already mentionned that tumblr in this thread ?

http://peopledyinglikemarioncotillard.tumblr.com/

cool 2 hate 681
08-26-2012, 01:46 PM
i finally got around to seeing this i thought it was pretty good i hope they make another one

also be sure you have seen batman begins before you watch it

Defender
08-28-2012, 02:37 AM
I saw it yesterday and I am a little dissappointed. The movie is good but not for a Batman movie. I have grown up with Batman comics and the plot is very ....hmmm...different (wrong). The atmosphere is different,too. Only the dark sense of the film is close to the real Batman atmosphere. As a Batman-fan I prefer the Tim Burton's films. Nolan's trilogy would be great for me, if it was not a Batman movie.

Eskimo
08-30-2012, 02:34 AM
I think even moreso than the movie being balls, all of the Nolan-fellating among the dweebverse bugs me.

He's a good director, generally, but the worship is so goddamn undeserved. Like, hell, Schumacher's made some awesome movies too. I don't really rate Rises that much over Forever, they're both pretty much 50% right and 50% anus.

DeAtHsTaR
08-30-2012, 10:52 PM
It was so bad that I pulled out my gun and shot everyone in the theatre.

Eskimo
08-31-2012, 05:41 AM
Yew hav such big balz, makin dead-ppl jokes LOL.

Wish I was cool like you, man.