PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Music that Sucks

BagOfShenanigans
07-19-2012, 04:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UvuiNUyReE

Anyone want to discuss?

Anyone?

I, personally, thought it was hilariously inaccurate.

Scythe Death
07-19-2012, 06:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UvuiNUyReE

Anyone want to discuss?

Anyone?

I, personally, thought it was hilariously inaccurate.

I thought it was pretty cool. It's obviously inaccurate, but that's not the point. It's obviously a hit at The Offspring for releasing that flabby album they call CO1.

See, that album is just mediocre if you're expecting a heavy punk album like any of the past releases. While songs like Original Prankster aren't bad per se, it's a boner killer when combined with other releases like "Want You Bad" and the other mediocre songs from the first half of the album.

It's like the album has nothing worthy to show until track 7, when Living in Chaos comes up. Then it becomes a really decent or good alternative rock album (except One Fine Day. I skip that one.). Old fans of The Offspring wouldn't really be looking for that though, so of it's expected for them to be disappointed.

For many people CO1 was the RaFRaG of 2001, a disappointment as the Offspring ventures into vacuous, bland pop punk. At least it's not produced by Bob Rock the REtard.

RageAndLov
07-19-2012, 06:19 PM
What's with the Simpsons thing? And he had nothing substantial to say, only that Offspring sucks. No explanation why. They just sucked since 2001.

See, that album is just mediocre if you're expecting a heavy punk album like any of the past releases.

There must be Offspring albums I've never heard of, because I thought they had just released 9 albums. I would love to hear about any of these "heavy punk albums" you talk about.

bouncingcoles
07-19-2012, 09:09 PM
I personally like CO1 a lot. Splinter sucked big time. Rafrag was an improvement but still not great and days go by is very good.

TheJakes84
07-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Haha. That was just a joke on them. I wanna hear Behind The Music on VH1 - The Offspring. Now, that won't suck at all by zero means. Yay.

Scythe Death
07-20-2012, 10:11 AM
There must be Offspring albums I've never heard of, because I thought they had just released 9 albums. I would love to hear about any of these "heavy punk albums" you talk about.

I guess your ears aren't tuned well enough to notice the difference between songs like "Feelings" by The Offspring and "I Wanna Be Sedated" by The Ramones.

Have you ever listened to thrash metal (Anthrax) or any form of heavy metal?

cool 2 hate 681
07-20-2012, 10:44 AM
I personally like CO1 a lot. Splinter sucked big time. Rafrag was an improvement but still not great and days go by is very good.

i agree co1 was the last album where i liked every song on it at one point in time

also this video is really stupid doesn't even deserve a thread

Mark Rooster
07-20-2012, 10:51 AM
I thought it was pretty cool. It's obviously inaccurate, but that's not the point. It's obviously a hit at The Offspring for releasing that flabby album they call CO1.

See, that album is just mediocre if you're expecting a heavy punk album like any of the past releases. While songs like Original Prankster aren't bad per se, it's a boner killer when combined with other releases like "Want You Bad" and the other mediocre songs from the first half of the album.

It's like the album has nothing worthy to show until track 7, when Living in Chaos comes up. Then it becomes a really decent or good alternative rock album (except One Fine Day. I skip that one.). Old fans of The Offspring wouldn't really be looking for that though, so of it's expected for them to be disappointed.

For many people CO1 was the RaFRaG of 2001, a disappointment as the Offspring ventures into vacuous, bland pop punk. At least it's not produced by Bob Rock the REtard.

I definitely disagree. Nothing worth listening to till track 7? What about Come Out Swinging, one of their best songs? Or Million Miles Away, or Dammit I Changed Again? Those are all awesome tracks.

And you skip One Fine Day, probably the most "punk" sounding song on the album?

OC HAU
07-20-2012, 12:07 PM
The only way to argue with Scythe is to mail him anthrax and then still ban him.

KTILLA23
07-20-2012, 01:52 PM
This is i think one of the dumbest videos i have ever seen. Pleases close this thread.

TheNooseIsFalling
07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
oh yeah I remember this. more or less. this one is panfully unfunny though....it's interesting to note how it shares similiarities with a lot of reviews, it's like, purely based on stuff that bored people write on the interwebs...another 3 minutes of my life wasted.

Scythe Death
07-20-2012, 08:13 PM
I definitely disagree. Nothing worth listening to till track 7? What about Come Out Swinging, one of their best songs? Or Million Miles Away, or Dammit I Changed Again? Those are all awesome tracks.

And you skip One Fine Day, probably the most "punk" sounding song on the album?

Million Miles Away is such a bore. It's extremely trite, and the lyricism is not compelling, even if it can be said that I relate.

Come Out Swinging seems like it was written for like 13 year old kids. It's like a similar message of that of better prior songs, but more simplified. Musically, it's also not very appealing either. It's trite too.

Dammit I Changed again seems like a song that had a lot of potential but was ruined by nonsensical lyrics. I actually feel embarrassed listening to the song. It's like "who's gonna think this is cool?" with the whole 'START A FIGHT - CANT DEFEND ONE MORE TIME - DAMMIT I CHANGED AGAIN' stuff over and over. It could be that this song really synchs with people that suffer from multiple personality disorder or bipolarism, but it does absolutely nothing for me. I really wish it had different lyrics though because the music is so heavy.

Out of the first half of the album, Original Prankster is actually my favorite. It's only until track 7 where I no longer feel like "all right this is oversimplified Offspring, and I've heard them do this before better". It's funny because when I was little, I actually preferred the first half of the album better, and I skipped the entire second half until "Conspiracy of One" because it was too weird for me.

RageAndLov
07-21-2012, 05:03 AM
I guess your ears aren't tuned well enough to notice the difference between songs like "Feelings" by The Offspring and "I Wanna Be Sedated" by The Ramones.

Have you ever listened to thrash metal (Anthrax) or any form of heavy metal?

I don't like much metal, because I find it to be mostly boring, but I've heard old Metallica if you can count that as thrash metal. What that has to do with these unknown Offspring albums I haven't apparently heard yet, I don't understand.

This is i think one of the dumbest videos i have ever seen. Pleases close this thread.

http://archive.4chon.net/meta/87276/src_1330193472548.jpg

TripleDK
07-21-2012, 09:16 AM
http://archive.4chon.net/meta/87276/src_1330193472548.jpg

I'm sorry, but even if you didn't like the Offspring and had any sense of humor, this would still be a very dumb video.

GamerKT
07-21-2012, 09:45 AM
The voice acting was atrocious. It seriously hurt to listen to. That, and they didn't say fuck-all except "Offspring sucks! Offspring sucks! Offspring sucks!" without making any sort of argument.

That was really stupid.

Scythe Death
07-21-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't like much metal, because I find it to be mostly boring, but I've heard old Metallica if you can count that as thrash metal. What that has to do with these unknown Offspring albums I haven't apparently heard yet, I don't understand.

Looks like you need things spoonfed.

Smash and Americana are mostly heavy punk.

The voice acting was atrocious. It seriously hurt to listen to. That, and they didn't say fuck-all except "Offspring sucks! Offspring sucks! Offspring sucks! " without making any sort of argument.

That was really stupid.

They didn't just say that, but they pretty much said "The Offspring went into the shitter with CO1 because they want to appease little kids with gayass pop-punk for money". They didn't make an argument though. It was merely intended to be observations presented in a humorous ways for people that agree.

Llamas
07-21-2012, 03:26 PM
All I got from that video is that some people have way too much time to devote to stuff they don't like. It's one thing if you're a professional critic. It's also one thing if you're a talented comedian and make genuinely funny jokes. CO1 is one of my least favorite Offspring albums, and I'm not interested in defending it, but that video was boring and unfunny. Someone had way too much time on their hands and spent it on making a dull video about how much something sucks. The Simpsons thing especially made zero sense.

Eskimo
07-22-2012, 02:25 AM
You fuckers are like these donkeyfondlers sending death threats to the critics who gave The Dark Knight Rises a bad review.

The Offspring aren't respected at all, we like them anyway, why do you give a turtle's anus? If you can make fun of every other rock band in the public eye with overexposure (like they were when this came out), why the hell not the band we like?

You insecure swollen nipples.

GamerKT
07-22-2012, 02:46 AM
You fuckers are like these donkeyfondlers sending death threats to the critics who gave The Dark Knight Rises a bad review.

The Offspring aren't respected at all, we like them anyway, why do you give a turtle's anus? If you can make fun of every other rock band in the public eye with overexposure (like they were when this came out), why the hell not the band we like?

You insecure swollen nipples.

Did you even watch the video? Anyway, we're not making fun of this video because they bash The Offspring. We're making fun of it because it's fucking terrible and unfunny.

Eskimo
07-22-2012, 04:31 AM
I've seen it about eleventy-billion times, no need to watch it again.

But is it such a crime that it's lame? A giant proportion of "comedy" sucks balls. You're only up in arms about it because it's The Offspring they're ridiculing.

TheNooseIsFalling
07-22-2012, 05:16 AM
I've seen it about eleventy-billion times, no need to watch it again.

But is it such a crime that it's lame? A giant proportion of "comedy" sucks balls. You're only up in arms about it because it's The Offspring they're ridiculing.
General Offspring Discussion. What does that say to you?

RageAndLov
07-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Looks like you need things spoonfed.

Smash and Americana are mostly heavy punk.

Americana was released during a time period when both Greg K and Dexter didn't see their own band as a punk band, but just a plain rock band (they would later change this stand on that though). If you call albums like Americana and Smash "heavy punk", then I am very curious what you would call bands like Jerry's Kids, Minor Threat and such.

I'm sorry, but even if you didn't like the Offspring and had any sense of humor, this would still be a very dumb video.

I agree, but that is no reason for this thread to be closed.

Hey Man Where's Everybody
07-22-2012, 07:12 AM
The funniest thing about that video was how hilariously earnest the fanbase reaction was.

Scythe Death
07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Americana was released during a time period when both Greg K and Dexter didn't see their own band as a punk band, but just a plain rock band (they would later change this stand on that though). If you call albums like Americana and Smash "heavy punk", then I am very curious what you would call bands like Jerry's Kids, Minor Threat and such.

I agree, but that is no reason for this thread to be closed.

Doesn't matter if they didn't see their band as a "punk band". The album was still predominantly punk in composition (heavy punk at that). Go watch the first thrash metal big four so you can acquaint yourself a little with metal and punk fusion. Anthrax's setlist may sound to you like they're playing "Feelings" over and over.

I mean, most people and music analysts often discern the heavy and metal influences in The Offspring's music, so if you've read online about The Offspring, you must have at least read someone call them metal-influenced or heavy punk before. What about when people called them a metal band in Smash?

Jerry's Kids and Minor Threat are obviously simply hardcore bands.

RageAndLov
07-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Doesn't matter if they didn't see their band as a "punk band". The album was still predominantly punk in composition (heavy punk at that). Go watch the first thrash metal big four so you can acquaint yourself a little with metal and punk fusion. Anthrax's setlist may sound to you like they're playing "Feelings" over and over.

I mean, most people and music analysts often discern the heavy and metal influences in The Offspring's music, so if you've read online about The Offspring, you must have at least read someone call them metal-influenced or heavy punk before. What about when people called them a metal band in Smash?

Jerry's Kids and Minor Threat are obviously simply hardcore bands.

I've never heard in my life someone calling them a metal band in Smash. Why someone would call them that is beyond my comprehension. And "heavy punk" is by your definition a fusion of heavy metal and punk? If it is, then I don't see how you can call Americana and Smash heavy punk, because I hear no heavy metal there, and only vaguely something similar to punk, at least on Americana. Smash is in my opinion their last punk album, but is far from heavy as in hardcore or rough, or heavy as in heavy metal.

Llamas
07-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Lolololololololo @ "Feelings" sounding anything like Anthrax.

Scythe Death
07-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Lolololololololo @ "Feelings" sounding anything like Anthrax.

:l

I've never heard in my life someone calling them a metal band in Smash. Why someone would call them that is beyond my comprehension. And "heavy punk" is by your definition a fusion of heavy metal and punk? If it is, then I don't see how you can call Americana and Smash heavy punk, because I hear no heavy metal there, and only vaguely something similar to punk, at least on Americana. Smash is in my opinion their last punk album, but is far from heavy as in hardcore or rough, or heavy as in heavy metal.

People used to confuse them for a metal band when smash came out. Heavy punk is not a fusion of heavy metal and punk, but it's more like punk with metal influences. The heavy metal influence is really just in the guitar drives and distinct distortion. You at least recognize the grunge influence in Smash, right?

And if Ixnay, Americana, the rest of the albums aren't punk, then how do you even define "punk"?