PDA

View Full Version : OC Guns or Cruisin' California?

sneedo83
07-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Pick one, please, oh please... Thanks.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-19-2012, 08:13 PM
I love OC Guns and hate Cruising California. This should be easy.

TheJakes84
07-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk) wasn't a joke song but, I shall go for OC Guns. Liked the way Dexter cussing in Spanish. Soooo cute.

KTILLA23
07-20-2012, 09:59 AM
You guys are going to hate me for this but I'm going with Cruisin' California!

Scythe Death
07-20-2012, 10:19 AM
I suggest that anyone who votes for Cruisin' California gets banned from this forum and mailed anthrax.

Mark Rooster
07-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Cruising California is easily the worst song they've ever done, whereas OC Guns may be my favorite track off the new album. So, no contest.

Scythe Death
07-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Does anybody that likes OC Guns think it's better than "Come Out and Play", "Pretty Fly For a White Guy", or "Original Prankster"? Out of all of them, OC Guns seems to be the most stupid, least explicit, and most poorly written one.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-20-2012, 10:43 AM
I like OC Guns better than Original Prankster and Pretty Fly. I like Come Out And Play more than all three though.

cool 2 hate 681
07-20-2012, 10:43 AM
both are awful i think but oc guns is the better song

MOTO13
07-20-2012, 11:27 AM
CC really is a fairly decent song. I hated the damn thing at first. Now that I have listened to it a few times, I kind of like it and think it's actually a pretty darn good song. OC Guns is an all-time great Offspring song. Easily one their best ever...from any album. Offspring at their finest.

Prankster, Pretty Fly etc... these songs are simply just horrible and not even in the same league.

Mark Rooster
07-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Come Out and Play, OC Guns, Pretty Fly, Original Prankster--I like them all a lot, but Come Out and Play the best.

KHWHD
07-20-2012, 03:30 PM
CC by a looooooong shot. Favourite on the album! :)

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
07-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Both songs are good. The only difference is that CC is an obvious pop song and the other one is rockin ska

jsmak84
07-20-2012, 06:55 PM
OC Guns for life! Is perfect! Tiki Tiki Tiki TIKI!!!!!!!!!!!!

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
07-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Hijo de puta, pendejo, cabron...you know who you are

Godxilla
07-20-2012, 07:31 PM
What could be better than Dexter saying "Cabron!"?

Dexter saying "Turn up the beat yeah!" I vote Cruisin California.

Llamas
07-20-2012, 09:08 PM
I love OC Guns and hate Cruising California. This should be easy.
Exactly. Same for me.

I like OC Guns better than Original Prankster and Pretty Fly. I like Come Out And Play more than all three though.
Exactly. Same for me.

Scythe Death
07-21-2012, 09:04 AM
It baffles me how someone can prefer something so simple minded as "omg dexter is cursing in spanish xD su funneh" over the sharp and brutal sarcasm and commentary of Pretty Fly. I speak fluent Spanish; OC Guns is just embarrassing.

I guess you'd have to be assholes to understand. lol

Tiny Vessels
07-21-2012, 12:40 PM
CC really is a fairly decent song. I hated the damn thing at first. Now that I have listened to it a few times, I kind of like it and think it's actually a pretty darn good song. OC Guns is an all-time great Offspring song. Easily one their best ever...from any album. Offspring at their finest.

Prankster, Pretty Fly etc... these songs are simply just horrible and not even in the same league.

OC Guns good song possibly great but I would NOT go as far as saying all time great Offspring song. I mean you if truly want an all great Offspring song goback and listen to Gotta Get Away. Truly amazing.

And as far as Pretty Fly goes its a just a fun stupid song you can sing and dance to. Its just fun

MOTO13
07-22-2012, 07:44 AM
It baffles me how someone can prefer something so simple minded as "omg dexter is cursing in spanish xD su funneh" over the sharp and brutal sarcasm and commentary of Pretty Fly. I speak fluent Spanish; OC Guns is just embarrassing.

Comparing OC Guns to Pretty Fly is...embarrassing.

Defender
07-22-2012, 08:33 AM
I like them both. Both songs are successful experiments for me. I voted for "Cruising California" though, just because the most of the fans "shoot" it ;)

Thomas
07-22-2012, 08:53 AM
At first, I was turned off to OC Guns because the spanish he speaks sounded weird to me. Although after time, the song really grew on me. It does a good job of invoking the images of what the streets of Orange County might look like at night with gang violence, and the instrumentals are absolutely wonderful. It reminds me a lot of Sublime, actually.

CC, though, is a travesty that I skip every time I play the album.

This was no contest for me.

jacknife737
07-22-2012, 09:13 AM
OC Guns

I absolutely love it instrumentally. My only complaints have to deal with the chorus (particularly the "shoot him in the back" line.

Llamas
07-22-2012, 09:37 AM

Or, you know, a musician who doesn't really pay attention to lyrics, but rather focuses on musicality instead. OC Guns is a well-written piece of music, with a lot of creativity and clever, unique genre-mixing. Pretty Fly is musically pretty drab in comparison. Couldn't care less what the lyrics are about.

_Way_Down_the_Line_
07-22-2012, 02:39 PM
My vote was for OC Guns, CC I have said enough they could of just filled it in with some poorly produced punk rock song and it would of been way better.

Btw OC Guns is awesome !! that's a offspring joke song, not CC...

Dex90
07-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Completely agree, its definitely one of the greats!its the only one i listened to twice in a row the first time i heard the whole album! except i still think CC is just terrible:)

Scythe Death
07-22-2012, 08:26 PM

I agree, but it sounds like we're in opposite ends of the spectrum.

Scythe Death
07-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Or, you know, a musician who doesn't really pay attention to lyrics, but rather focuses on musicality instead. OC Guns is a well-written piece of music, with a lot of creativity and clever, unique genre-mixing. Pretty Fly is musically pretty drab in comparison. Couldn't care less what the lyrics are about.

A musician that doesn't really pay attention to lyrics and focus on musicality listening to punk? LOL

(I'm half-kidding.)

OC Guns is not musically impressive or well written, although the beat is pleasant. It's based off a very simple motif, and it actually does sound kind of sub par from the genre. Where I grew up such was a pretty standard, particularly in latin alternative hip hop. It's like none of you have ever listened to hip hop beats before or probably say you don't like it, but suddenly as soon as your favorite band does one in the genre, it's a masterpiece.

OC Guns saturday night live parody of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXtJkDHEAAc

In the other hand, songs like Pretty Fly are not standard or sub par in any genre. It is musically diverse and it is lead by well complemented by chord very driving chord progressions and experimental percussion far more creative than the 4-chord stuff you're so impressed by.

This place is funny. People regard "Ignition" as the best Offspring album and act like they're barely building on the basics of music and lyricism.

I also bet I'm a way better guitarist than you. Too many people like to stretch things and call themselves "musicians".

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Llamas, you were right about him being a dick.

Llamas
07-23-2012, 04:52 AM
Llamas, you were right about him being a dick.

Lol, yep. I made my one comment to him, and that's enough. I suggest we all just look the other way.

samseby
07-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Seriously? I could have done without both of them, but if I had to choose it'd be OC Guns.

Scythe Death
07-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Lol, yep. I made my one comment to him, and that's enough. I suggest we all just look the other way.

Your comments are particularly dumb. Let someone else try. lol

Thomas
07-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I also bet I'm a way better guitarist than you. Too many people like to stretch things and call themselves "musicians".

You sound like too much of a pretentious douche for anyone to care what you think. I happen to know that Brianna (llamas) was quite an accomplished saxophone player several years back.

Also, I completely disagree with everything you said, and I'm currently studying music theory at my University, where I'm also going into my third year as captain of the drumline, not to mention the high school band and drumline programs I've worked with (and have had major success with) and the professional indoor percussion ensemble with whom I was drum captain for 4 years. I may not be a guitarist, but I'd bet money I know my way around a snare drum a hell of a lot better than you know your way around a guitar.

Yet despite all of this, how much do you think people care around here of my accomplishments as a musician when I talk about my opinions of music? Probably not a whole lot. So just remember that next time you claim you are a better musician than someone, therefore your opinion MUST be more valid.

Scythe Death
07-23-2012, 01:25 PM
You sound like too much of a pretentious douche for anyone to care what you think. I happen to know that Brianna (llamas) was quite an accomplished saxophone player several years back.

Also, I completely disagree with everything you said, and I'm currently studying music theory at my University, where I'm also going into my third year as captain of the drumline, not to mention the high school band and drumline programs I've worked with (and have had major success with) and the professional indoor percussion ensemble with whom I was drum captain for 4 years. I may not be a guitarist, but I'd bet money I know my way around a snare drum a hell of a lot better than you know your way around a guitar.

Yet despite all of this, how much do you think people care around here of my accomplishments as a musician when I talk about my opinions of music? Probably not a whole lot. So just remember that next time you claim you are a better musician than someone, therefore your opinion MUST be more valid.

I said I'm a better guitarist just for that reason. I was being facetious.

So you only play the snare drum? No offense, but I was never much impressed by drum ensembles. I mean, some of them are sick composers, but they don't seem a fraction as skilled as a metal drummer. I wonder what the equivalent for something like string-skipping sweep arpeggios is on the snare drum.

While I'm into musical theory and history as a past-time, I major in BS Physics and BA Philosophy. And your improper use of the term 'valid' makes me cringe.

Now to the main point of this reply:

-If your objection to a post is its presentation rather than content, you're confirmed for being an impressionable twat.

Anyway, I don't know what your background in musical history, but I like hearing from the perspective of experienced percussionists.

MOTO13
07-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Hey, if you two freaks want to exchange emails, fall in love, or just meet for a cold fresca and discuss this stupid shit, have at it. If you could possibly stay somewhat on topic, as I am sure you two fucking self proclaimed geniuses probably have that ability, that would be just super. Otherwise, shut the hell up. Your splashing the thread with your fucking idiotic cock swinging that zero people give two shits about.

sneedo83
07-23-2012, 04:20 PM
I just witnessed the gayest pissing contest I've ever seen, congratulations you two cocky fuckers.

Godxilla
07-23-2012, 06:10 PM
I said I'm a better guitarist just for that reason. I was being facetious.

So you only play the snare drum? No offense, but I was never much impressed by drum ensembles. I mean, some of them are sick composers, but they don't seem a fraction as skilled as a metal drummer. I wonder what the equivalent for something like string-skipping sweep arpeggios is on the snare drum.

While I'm into musical theory and history as a past-time, I major in BS Physics and BA Philosophy. And your improper use of the term 'valid' makes me cringe.

Now to the main point of this reply:

-If your objection to a post is its presentation rather than content, you're confirmed for being an impressionable twat.

Anyway, I don't know what your background in musical history, but I like hearing from the perspective of experienced percussionists.

You remind me a lot of MrScottMusic, Scythey. Rude, condescending, and bursting with vicious croons of self-importance. But congratulations on liking A7x. Or is it Ax7?

Scythe Death
07-23-2012, 10:07 PM
You remind me a lot of MrScottMusic, Scythey. Rude, condescending, and bursting with vicious croons of self-importance. But congratulations on liking A7x. Or is it Ax7?

Hey, at least I back up the stuff I say instead of saying "durr i'm a musician and I like this music that's why". If anything you should be complaining about the twits changing the subject about how butthurt they are about me challenging their unsupported opinions about what's embarrassing and what isn't (like you).

Oh, and if you're going to pretend you know something about bands in metal, then try not saying something half-assed and laughably ostentatious.

celia07
07-24-2012, 03:07 AM
[QUOTE=TheJakes84;1476778]Cruising California (Bumpin' In My Trunk) wasn't a joke song but, I shall go for OC Guns. Liked the way Dexter cussing in Spanish. Soooo cute.[/QUOT

so cute in spanish ~

mrscottmusic
07-24-2012, 06:23 AM
A musician that doesn't really pay attention to lyrics and focus on musicality listening to punk? LOL

(I'm half-kidding.)

OC Guns is not musically impressive or well written, although the beat is pleasant. It's based off a very simple motif, and it actually does sound kind of sub par from the genre. Where I grew up such was a pretty standard, particularly in latin alternative hip hop. It's like none of you have ever listened to hip hop beats before or probably say you don't like it, but suddenly as soon as your favorite band does one in the genre, it's a masterpiece.

OC Guns saturday night live parody of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXtJkDHEAAc

In the other hand, songs like Pretty Fly are not standard or sub par in any genre. It is musically diverse and it is lead by well complemented by chord very driving chord progressions and experimental percussion far more creative than the 4-chord stuff you're so impressed by.

This place is funny. People regard "Ignition" as the best Offspring album and act like they're barely building on the basics of music and lyricism.

You're probably right, these "fans" in here are a bunch of cunts. They are also very resentful indeed, they must have A LOT of issues! None of them paid attention to the lyrics about leaving their "baggage at the door!"

MOTO13
07-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Wild idea...re-read the premise of this thread...digest it and respond accordingly. Any other response of any kind about any other subject, no matter how self-indulgent you may feel, just forget it. Friggin ADD and self esteem issues in this thread is astonishing.

OC GUNS

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Hey, if you two freaks want to exchange emails, fall in love, or just meet for a cold fresca and discuss this stupid shit, have at it. If you could possibly stay somewhat on topic, as I am sure you two fucking self proclaimed geniuses probably have that ability, that would be just super. Otherwise, shut the hell up. Your splashing the thread with your fucking idiotic cock swinging that zero people give two shits about.
I actually thought the conversation was quite interesting. :)

You're probably right, these "fans" in here are a bunch of cunts. They are also very resentful indeed, they must have A LOT of issues! None of them paid attention to the lyrics about leaving their "baggage at the door!"
Mr. Scott is back! :D

sneedo83
07-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Can we ban this dude already?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Mr. Scott?

Little_Miss_1565
07-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Just temp banned him. Fucking tired of this shit.

Hey, at least I back up the stuff I say instead of saying "durr i'm a musician and I like this music that's why". If anything you should be complaining about the twits changing the subject about how butthurt they are about me challenging their unsupported opinions about what's embarrassing and what isn't (like you).

Oh, and if you're going to pretend you know something about bands in metal, then try not saying something half-assed and laughably ostentatious.

If by "back up the stuff you say" you mean "be super pretentious and aggro so people get distracted by what a dick I'm being and maybe won't poke any more holes in my already flimsy statements," then sure. But Thomas is a really gifted drummer. And you're running around calling Avenged Sevenfold metal?! I mean, seriously? Tom Warrior called, he's on his way to your house.

Scythe Death
07-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Just temp banned him. Fucking tired of this shit.

If by "back up the stuff you say" you mean "be super pretentious and aggro so people get distracted by what a dick I'm being and maybe won't poke any more holes in my already flimsy statements," then sure. But Thomas is a really gifted drummer. And you're running around calling Avenged Sevenfold metal?! I mean, seriously? Tom Warrior called, he's on his way to your house.

I did not say that Avenged Sevenfold is a metal band. I always mentioned they were a metalcore band. He (not I) brought up Avenged Sevenfold as a backhanded remark when I was talking about metal with the intention to make it seem like I was calling them metal. I called that a laughable pretense, yet you fell for it. I don't know if that should make it funnier or just tragic.

My intention is not to be "super pretentious and aggro", especially not for distraction purposes, Little_Miss_Straw_Man (straw man is a fallacy, look it up). My comments reflect exactly what I feel about that. I also hope that by aggro you don't mean "likes to thoroughly refute points", because if so I'm afraid you don't understand argumentation very well. Now let's look at the post again:

How do you respond to this?

"Or, you know, a musician [...]"

As if your pretentious ass was the only musician?

>>>"who doesn't really pay attention to lyrics, but rather focuses on musicality instead." "Couldn't care less what the lyrics are about."

As if your pretentious ass is the only one who focuses on musicality?

If you don't pay attention to lyrics, what the hell are you doing listening to The Offspring? The punk genre in general is known for being very conventional and simple-minded. I understand that there can be artistry and appeal in the musicality of punk, but it's a huge stretch saying that conventional punk is "well-written".

Also, I understand that The Offspring can be particularly eclectic, like in Americana and the song Pretty Fly, which according to Llama's is just drab.

Then she proceeds to say this:

>>>"OC Guns is a well-written piece of music, with a lot of creativity and clever, unique genre-mixing. "

Unique genre-mixing? As if she had been living under a rock for years or has never been exposed to any world music. OC Guns is really just a sub par, conventional latin alternative hip hop beat with a verse with the bass, guitar, and vocals in the verse doing the same cheesy progression of 3 notes. I mean, it's almost justifiable how silly it is given that it's a joke song, but it's ludicrous to call it "creativity, clever, and unique genre-mixing".

So unique!... Did she think that the instrumentation and the fact that they're referring to latin gang-life and talking in spanish were just a coincidence?

If anything "creativity, clever, and unique genre-mixing" is the description of Pretty Fly. Does anyone think they can tell me just in what established genre they have heard the same musical elements that songs such Pretty Fly?

I mean, the unconventional percussion elements, the heavy and varied riffage with chromatic arrangements, Def Leppard and other samples, and some of the sharpest sarcasm I've heard in a song-- sounds more of "creativity, clever, and unique genre-mixing" than a sub par Latin hip hop parody.

A strong argument can easily be derived from these claims, but what sort of insightful counterpoint I get? Nothing, but a bunch of irrelevant complaining, pro hominem, and misusing logic terms such as "validity" as if any of you somehow made any sort of point.

"awmg she plays dah sax"
"awmg I play the snare"
"awmg ur a jerk"

"maybe won't poke any more holes in my already flimsy statements"

Poke any more holes? You're implying that someone somewhere poked some sort of hole in anything I said. If that's the case, I invite you to quote such an event. It's too easy for some people to derive claims from plain wishful thinking. Fortunately, everything that has been said in this thread is written and quotable, so please humor me.

If anything, what I want is people to argue properly and make their best possible effort to refute my claims and arguments. Instead, what I get is cliche kids like Llamas thinking she can make points by hinting at truisms and platitudes. What professor of yours told you that that's remotely intelligent? Do we all suddenly have the acumen of a pretentious, impressionable middle-schooler?

So if it wasn't obvious, all this time I've been hinting that your objection with me is not pretentiousness, given that you let unjustified shit like this pass:

Or, you know, a musician who doesn't really pay attention to lyrics, but rather focuses on musicality instead.

The fact that you're not complaining about these people are just trying to pass with generic, pretentious one-liners (many of which don't have any semblance of a justification or back-up) makes me think that you're just predisposed to siding with the bandwagon of regulars and their mob mentality just because. Remember that kid that called me pretentious and tried to arguing with me by using logic terms he did not understand as if he was somehow impressing someone (I mean someone educated- he impressed you) unknowing to the fact that I actually study logic? Yeah, you agreed with him, and now it looks like shit's repeating.

How can you call someone pretentious if said person is right? Pretense and ostentation are a matter of pretending. You can call me condescending, but of what consequence is that to me?

tl;dr:

OC Guns is not better than Pretty Fly and I have the unpopular opinion against the intellectual equivalent of a middle-school posse of posers or English majors.

BagOfShenanigans
07-24-2012, 06:50 PM
I did not say that Avenged Sevenfold is a metal band. I always mentioned they were a metalcore band. He (not I) brought up Avenged Sevenfold as a backhanded remark when I was talking about metal with the intention to make it seem like I was calling them metal. I called that a laughable pretense, yet you fell for it. I don't know if that should make it funnier or just tragic.

My intention is not to be "super pretentious and aggro", especially not for distraction purposes, Little_Miss_Straw_Man (straw man is a fallacy, look it up). My comments reflect exactly what I feel about that. I also hope that by aggro you don't mean "likes to thoroughly refute points", because if so I'm afraid you don't understand argumentation very well. Now let's look at the post again:

How do you respond to this?

"Or, you know, a musician [...]"

As if your pretentious ass was the only musician?

>>>"who doesn't really pay attention to lyrics, but rather focuses on musicality instead." "Couldn't care less what the lyrics are about."

As if your pretentious ass is the only one who focuses on musicality?

If you don't pay attention to lyrics, what the hell are you doing listening to The Offspring? The punk genre in general is known for being very conventional and simple-minded. I understand that there can be artistry and appeal in the musicality of punk, but it's a huge stretch saying that conventional punk is "well-written".

Also, I understand that The Offspring can be particularly eclectic, like in Americana and the song Pretty Fly, which according to Llama's is just drab.

Then she proceeds to say this:

>>>"OC Guns is a well-written piece of music, with a lot of creativity and clever, unique genre-mixing. "

Unique genre-mixing? As if she had been living under a rock for years or has never been exposed to any world music. OC Guns is really just a sub par, conventional latin alternative hip hop beat with a verse with the bass, guitar, and vocals in the verse doing the same cheesy progression of 3 notes. I mean, it's almost justifiable how silly it is given that it's a joke song, but it's ludicrous to call it "creativity, clever, and unique genre-mixing".

So unique!... Did she think that the instrumentation and the fact that they're referring to latin gang-life and talking in spanish were just a coincidence?

If anything "creativity, clever, and unique genre-mixing" is the description of Pretty Fly. Does anyone think they can tell me just in what established genre they have heard the same musical elements that songs such Pretty Fly?

I mean, the unconventional percussion elements, the heavy and varied riffage with chromatic arrangements, Def Leppard and other samples, and some of the sharpest sarcasm I've heard in a song-- sounds more of "creativity, clever, and unique genre-mixing" than a sub par Latin hip hop parody.

A strong argument can easily be derived from these claims, but what sort of insightful counterpoint I get? Nothing, but a bunch of irrelevant complaining, pro hominem, and misusing logic terms such as "validity" as if any of you somehow made any sort of point.

"awmg she plays dah sax"
"awmg I play the snare"
"awmg ur a jerk"

"maybe won't poke any more holes in my already flimsy statements"

Poke any more holes? You're implying that someone somewhere poked some sort of hole in anything I said. If that's the case, I invite you to quote such an event. It's too easy for some people to derive claims from plain wishful thinking. Fortunately, everything that has been said in this thread is written and quotable, so please humor me.

If anything, what I want is people to argue properly and make their best possible effort to refute my claims and arguments. Instead, what I get is cliche kids like Llamas thinking she can make points by hinting at truisms and platitudes. What professor of yours told you that that's remotely intelligent? Do we all suddenly have the acumen of a pretentious, impressionable middle-schooler?

So if it wasn't obvious, all this time I've been hinting that your objection with me is not pretentiousness, given that you let unjustified shit like this pass:

The fact that you're not complaining about these people are just trying to pass with generic, pretentious one-liners (many of which don't have any semblance of a justification or back-up) makes me think that you're just predisposed to siding with the bandwagon of regulars and their mob mentality just because. Remember that kid that called me pretentious and tried to arguing with me by using logic terms he did not understand as if he was somehow impressing someone (I mean someone educated- he impressed you) unknowing to the fact that I actually study logic? Yeah, you agreed with him, and now it looks like shit's repeating.

How can you call someone pretentious if said person is right? Pretense and ostentation are a matter of pretending. You can call me condescending, but of what consequence is that to me?

tl;dr:

OC Guns is not better than Pretty Fly and I have the unpopular opinion against the intellectual equivalent of a middle-school posse of posers or English majors.

... I just like the Mariachi band... o_o

Godxilla
07-24-2012, 06:52 PM
That was a very long post. I'm surprised that Skytho hasn't been banned, as he monopolized the forum with a monologue of biblical proportions. Just so all you atheist punx know, that means it's
BIG

Scythe Death
07-24-2012, 07:25 PM
... I just like the Mariachi band... o_o

I got it covered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBrSjKK8T3o

Little_Miss_1565
07-24-2012, 10:07 PM
If you were trying to prove that you're not overly aggressive and pretentious with a refutation that is many times longer than my post, I'm sorry to say you haven't helped yourself on that point.

And seriously, this feels like my old Philosophy 101 class 10 years ago. No.

Scythe Death
07-24-2012, 10:13 PM
If you were trying to prove that you're not overly aggressive and pretentious with a refutation that is many times longer than my post, I'm sorry to say you haven't helped yourself on that point.

And seriously, this feels like my old Philosophy 101 class 10 years ago. No.

PHI 101 is good for you. PHI 300 is better.

Also you may want to re-read this:

"make points by hinting at truisms and platitudes. What professor of yours told you that that's remotely intelligent? Do we all suddenly have the acumen of a pretentious, impressionable middle-schooler?"

XYlophonetreeZ
07-24-2012, 10:57 PM
One of the most clear-cut observations I've made about debate over the years is that 9 times out of 10, the first person to pull out the term "straw man" is the one who is losing the argument. Most people don't even use the term correctly, but even when they do, it kind of reeks of desperation when you have to compartmentalize your opponent's argument and call it a neat little name instead of actually refuting it.

Scythe Death
07-24-2012, 11:11 PM
One of the most clear-cut observations I've made about debate over the years is that 9 times out of 10, the first person to pull out the term "straw man" is the one who is losing the argument. Most people don't even use the term correctly, but even when they do, it kind of reeks of desperation when you have to compartmentalize your opponent's argument and call it a neat little name instead of actually refuting it.

Well I notice you aren't an apt mediator.

You know how much easier it is to point out the objective logical fallacy rather than repeating the same copy-paste lecture of how you're arguing a made up misrepresentation so many people that don't understand argumentation commit? Even then, most people don't understand what the term means, so I have to explain how they are fabricating a misrepresentation in lieu of addressing what I actually said in the first place... like I did just now with Little Miss 1565 and how I just did with you if you're accusing me of something.

It's just funny how you're all absolutely incapable of addressing my points, and instead go on in contrived tangents about my presentation.

In my experience though, the most misused fallacy term is "ad hominem", which idiots usually assume is synonymous with "insult". Then when you try to explain it, they go in denial and cling to their misuse of the term because they don't understand formal logic or really want to think that they said something intelligent.

Little_Miss_1565
07-24-2012, 11:22 PM
So you're trying to explain how I'm fabricating that you're acting pretentious and aggro....by acting pretentious and aggro?

"Do we all suddenly have the acumen of a pretentious, impressionable middle-schooler?" What conversation are you having with whom?

XYlophonetreeZ
07-24-2012, 11:36 PM
I don't care about addressing all of your points. It's nothing personal, I've just gotten bored with debating Offspring songs in the past week or so. I'm actually bored with it most of the time, but every time a new album comes out I get into it for about a month again. Plus, others pretty much already said what I could have.

I just was posting to point out something that bugs me. I would have done the same had anyone posted it. That being said though, I don't know why you think it's so wrong to call you out on your presentation. Fuck, dude, you're arguing about fucking pop-punk music. The points that you're making are subjective, the only thing that anyone's objecting to is that while the rest of us are attempting to have a tame discussion about a couple of stupid songs, you're getting all pissy about everything.

For the record, this was the post you made that set everyone off on this ridiculous debate:

Yes, let's all have a rational, Ivy League debate over the profound content of that statement. God forbid anyone attack the untouchable presentation of it.

Little_Miss_1565
07-24-2012, 11:53 PM
I would also like to add that thinking Scythe's behavior sucks in this thread doesn't mean I necessarily like either OC Guns or CC. But I DEF hate it when folks read one damn Foucault piece and think they can hold forth on the fucking Panopticon, or whatever.

The points that you're making are subjective, the only thing that anyone's objecting to is that while the rest of us are attempting to have a tame discussion about a couple of stupid songs, you're getting all pissy about everything.

A++++++, would buy again I think we should let this end with Treez's very salient point and continue on with the discussion of the songs.

(Meaning further thesis chapters that would make my old philosophy senior seminar prof break out his biggest red pen will be deleted.)

keonii7
07-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Cruisin' California and Days Go By are the only 2 songs I skip when listening to the album.

Little_Miss_1565
07-25-2012, 10:16 AM
(Meaning further thesis chapters that would make my old philosophy senior seminar prof break out his biggest red pen will be deleted.)

Because it's been missed the first time, apparently.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Well that's lame. My vote still goes to OC Guns. I need to hit replay almost every time I hear that one.

RageAndLov
07-27-2012, 05:51 AM
http://sadpanda.us/images/1107897-CBTSE25.jpg

Too soon?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-27-2012, 10:10 AM
It's best to bring humor out of tragic situations. Definitely not too soon.

Tiny Vessels
07-28-2012, 11:15 AM
There is nothing like having your windows rolled down all the way blasting OC Guns and you're singing it and kinda dancing to it waiting for the light to change and then you look over and see the car next to you is staring at you like you're insane.

Godxilla
07-28-2012, 04:01 PM
I should try that.

Dulce
12-01-2012, 12:02 AM
CC (BIMT) sorry.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
12-01-2012, 07:08 AM
I actually like both because they have very catchy melodies and I can appreciate the irony in them making such songs. I prefer "OC Guns," mainly because of the wicked bassline, obviously. I also like the ska style it has. "Cruising California" is more poppish, which not only isn't my cup of tea, but I hate pop. "OC Guns" is at least a form of rock. It took me a while to warm up to the mariachi in it, but it's really a genius idea to combine ska with mariachi.

Gustavo
12-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Thread closed for necromancy. Sponsored by Dulce.