PDA

View Full Version : Louie

Al Coholic
07-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Is it just me or is the show not as funny as advertised?

There's a lot of awkward, cringyness you feel when you watch it. However, there's not that many times that I actually laugh. Some episodes are just weird. He's an awesome comedian, maybe I just want it to be funnier. Maybe it's just interesting? I keep watching, though I'm not sure why.

Llamas
07-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Are you a fan of black humor? If not, then Louie is definitely not the right kinda show for you. I haven't seen the ads, but typically ads run for American audiences try to make any sort of comedy seem as in-your-face funny as possible, which Louie absolutely is not. His show is absolutely my kinda humor, plus it's got a LOT more to it than just humor. It's not strictly a comedy, and that adds even more to it.

WhenYouWerePunk.
07-21-2012, 10:28 AM
How has this season been? I've only caught the first episode so far (the "date") which was great - the rest are waiting on the DVR.

Jakebert
07-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Louie is probably the best show currently on TV. Louie is a comedy, but it's not a set-up-punchline comedy. The jokes aren't standard sitcom jokes, but jokes that are either slow building (the episode last season that was one long build up for a fart joke, which was fucking brilliant) or more about human behavior (the episode where he tells Pamela he loves her).

It's also different than a show like Community where the show tells you exactly when to laugh. The God episode, which is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever, has that incredibly long monologue from the doctor about killing Jesus. It's not acted, shot, or delivered in a comedic tone at all, but it is incredibly funny even if it's played as being dramatic. And not in the way, again a show like Community, will often play a dramatic scene for laughs by taking it over the top and making it obvious. But just playing it like a drama, like Mad Men or something. So you have to find the humor yourself instead of having it thrown at you.

That, and every episode uses different types of humor. Some are more traditionally "funny" (the masturbation one comes to mind, although a lot of people seemed to miss the point of the episode) and some are much more dramatic and serious (the one where he follows the bully home, which again is hilarious even if not played that way). That variety is why this show is so amazing, because you have no idea what you're getting every week and that surprise is half of the fun.

Really my whole point is to say fuck Community.

Omni
07-21-2012, 11:18 AM

We don't like your kind around these parts.

Llamas
07-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Jakebert said what I said, but with more words. lol.
However, I love Louie, but I've also been meaning to watch Community. I don't get it when people (intentional or not) make it seem like one show/band/whatever is great, and another one sucks because it's not like the first one. I see this all the time with other It's Always Sunny fans. I love Always Sunny... but I also like other shows. I often see Always Sunny fans saying stuff like, "Yeah, Always Sunny is the best. Leave How I Met Your Mother/The Office/etc and that shit for the drone masses." I like all three of those shows. Is that so bad?

It's not too far removed from the people who say, "If you don't like xxxxx band, you must be a Justin Bieber fan." No. Just no.

Little_Miss_1565
07-21-2012, 04:15 PM
I love Louie. It is weird and awkward but manages to be funny about it at the same time. As Jakebert mentioned, way different from the traditional half hour comedy sort of things we may be used to.

I like Louie in a different way from how I love The League and Workaholics.

Llamas
07-21-2012, 04:35 PM
I like Louie in a different way from how I love The League and Workaholics.

The League is awesome. I haven't heard of Workaholics, though. Similar?

Jakebert
07-21-2012, 04:54 PM
I wasn't claiming that Community sucks because Louie is good, I just really like taking potshots at Community because it's a.) the most overrated thing on TV since Dexter and b.) Community fans are so sensitive and it's fun to watch them overreact. It was completely cheap and childish but I will always stand by it.

The League probably has the 2nd best cast of a comedy on tv today, second only to Parks and Rec. But anything that gets Paul Scheer, Jason Manzukas, and Nick Kroll all on tv has to be awesome. The other two dudes are funny too, but those three are three of my favorite people alive.

Llamas
07-21-2012, 05:05 PM
I wasn't claiming that Community sucks because Louie is good, I just really like taking potshots at Community because it's a.) the most overrated thing on TV since Dexter and b.) Community fans are so sensitive and it's fun to watch them overreact. It was completely cheap and childish but I will always stand by it.
Gotcha, I didn't know that about Community fans. I also didn't know it was overrated - I didn't even know it was popular. I just heard from a few friends that it's really good, which is why I wanna watch it. But if that's true, then fair enough ;)

The League probably has the 2nd best cast of a comedy on tv today, second only to Parks and Rec. But anything that gets Paul Scheer, Jason Manzukas, and Nick Kroll all on tv has to be awesome. The other two dudes are funny too, but those three are three of my favorite people alive.
I love The League, but I haven't seen enough of it to comment on the cast. However, I just wanted to say that I agree 100% on Parks and Rec. I don't know if I've ever seen a show with a more perfect cast. With shows I consider similar, The Office has a good cast, but without Steve Carrell, it just became obvious that the cast isn't as strong as it seemed. I also tried to get into 30 Rock, but Tina Fey and Mr. Baldwin are the only two I can stand on that show. They are INCREDIBLE, but the rest of the cast just irks me (which is probably also due to the fact that the characters irk me). Parks and Rec just has the perfect cast, though. And I'm full of jealousy, because a college friend of mine works at the Smithsonian in DC, and yesterday as she was walking into work, Chris Pratt rounded the corner wearing a Mouserat tshirt, and she stood face to face with the guy. Then she got to see (meet?) the rest of the cast because they were filming the season premiere at her work. So. Much. Jealousy.

Jakebert
07-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Community isn't huge ratings wise, but it's really popular on the internet, especially with people who are obsessed with pop culture, because 90% of Community's "jokes" are just pop-culture parodies. The fans are super sensitive because the show has been on the verge of cancellation for it's entire run, despite the fact that NBC has done a pretty good job letting it grow naturally. (This can be proven by the fact that Parks and Rec was given the same marketing strategy and gets more popular with every season, both in terms of ratings and the zeitgeist.)

I just re-watched the 4th season of Parks a few weeks ago, and yeah, I've never seen such a perfectly assembled cast. Every character is incredibly well-developed and fits perfectly in their role, and the actors they cast fit them so well. (Although I've read that it was the other way around- they had very vague characters when the show was being created, and then developed the characters around the actors that they got. This makes sense if you watch Andy in season 1, where he was in of an asshole, vs. Andy in season 2 when he became a human version of a golden retriever puppy, which seems to be a lot like Chris Pratt in real life).

The only comedies I can think of that comes close in terms of big ensemble casts are Arrested Development and NewsRadio, but even both of those had a few iffy characters.

Llamas
07-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Community isn't huge ratings wise, but it's really popular on the internet, especially with people who are obsessed with pop culture, because 90% of Community's "jokes" are just pop-culture parodies. The fans are super sensitive because the show has been on the verge of cancellation for it's entire run, despite the fact that NBC has done a pretty good job letting it grow naturally. (This can be proven by the fact that Parks and Rec was given the same marketing strategy and gets more popular with every season, both in terms of ratings and the zeitgeist.)
Pop-culture parodies? That actually sounds really lame. I'll probably still give it a go, but yawwwwwn.

I just re-watched the 4th season of Parks a few weeks ago, and yeah, I've never seen such a perfectly assembled cast. Every character is incredibly well-developed and fits perfectly in their role, and the actors they cast fit them so well. (Although I've read that it was the other way around- they had very vague characters when the show was being created, and then developed the characters around the actors that they got. This makes sense if you watch Andy in season 1, where he was in of an asshole, vs. Andy in season 2 when he became a human version of a golden retriever puppy, which seems to be a lot like Chris Pratt in real life).
I've read that, as well. Seems to be true, and makes a lot of sense. I've seen that in Leslie Knope, too. She was ultra ditzy and not cut out for her job in the first season, but she's become similar to who I imagine Amy Poehler is in real life - silly, but no-nonsense and knows her shit. In fact, all the characters have been like that, including Ron and April. I also love how even the minor characters on that show are amazing, like Donna. Oh, and also, Ben and Chris were only supposed to be guest stars for a couple episodes, but because their characters worked SO WELL, they rewrote the script to keep them on as regulars. I think that's awesome.

The only comedies I can think of that comes close in terms of big ensemble casts are Arrested Development and NewsRadio, but even both of those had a few iffy characters.
I'd say How I Met Your Mother and Always Sunny have awesome casts. No iffy characters/members, but as a whole just not as strong as Parks and Rec.

Jakebert
07-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Well Adam Scott was always supposed to be a regular, but I dunno about Rob Lowe.

It's Always Sunny has a good cast, but the three male leads are kind of interchangeable sometimes. Charlie is a little more unique than the other two, but all three still are reduced to hyper-sensitive temper-tantrum characters when need be. Don't get me wrong, it's hilarious, but it's not as well defined as Parks is. Parks can do a lot of episodes/gags that aren't funny on paper but work because the characters are so well written that they don't need "jokes". The one that really comes to mind is Ron calling Leslie a goofball when Tammy One "neuters" him. It's Always Sunny doesn't really have that ability as much.

Plus, as you said, Parks has an amazing group of supporting characters. I think the supporting cast for Parks is the best deep bench since The Simpsons in it's heyday. Like, Perd Hapley is just such a fucking hilarious, memorable character even though he's probably been on screen for 5 minutes throughout the entire series.

Although I'll say that Dee is easily on par with Leslie as the best female character in a comedy. The writer's decision to not make her the voice of reason was genius.

How I Met Your Mother isn't really my type of show so I don't know the cast enough to comment.

Little_Miss_1565
07-22-2012, 10:33 AM
The League is awesome. I haven't heard of Workaholics, though. Similar?

Kind of similar. More like Office Space though, with three dumb people who love drinking and smoking weed, and generally being rad.

jacknife737
07-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Easily one of my favorite comedies on tv at the moment.

Far too many moments have put me in tears (the gay southern sheriff, the creepy nude women in the hallway, the tv masturbation interview). His kids on the show are perfectly cast too: they have fantastic chemistry with him.

Apathy
07-24-2012, 10:16 AM
I can't get into Louie. I tried, I really tried. Had a lot of friends recommend it to me unsucessfully. I don't like his stand-up at all either though so I guess it makes sense. I just feel like it's a lot of "blah blah blah my kids blah blah life sucks because I'm not attractive and life sucks and kids." Plus I feel like the slow black deadpan humor is probably better off left to Wes Anderson, Bill Murray & Co.

The league is funny at times. The "lead" actor, don't remember his name, writes and directs a looooooot of shitty indie movies that are basically unwatchable. The worst of which is "Hump Day", and the most significant of which was "Cyrus". So I was really worried about the show based on him, but he's actually one of the strongest parts. Brilliant improv skills on the entire cast. Hard to look at the one guys teeth, but other than that it's solid.

Al Coholic
08-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Louie is probably the best show currently on TV. Louie is a comedy, but it's not a set-up-punchline comedy. The jokes aren't standard sitcom jokes, but jokes that are either slow building (the episode last season that was one long build up for a fart joke, which was fucking brilliant) or more about human behavior (the episode where he tells Pamela he loves her).

It's also different than a show like Community where the show tells you exactly when to laugh. The God episode, which is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever, has that incredibly long monologue from the doctor about killing Jesus. It's not acted, shot, or delivered in a comedic tone at all, but it is incredibly funny even if it's played as being dramatic. And not in the way, again a show like Community, will often play a dramatic scene for laughs by taking it over the top and making it obvious. But just playing it like a drama, like Mad Men or something. So you have to find the humor yourself instead of having it thrown at you.

That, and every episode uses different types of humor. Some are more traditionally "funny" (the masturbation one comes to mind, although a lot of people seemed to miss the point of the episode) and some are much more dramatic and serious (the one where he follows the bully home, which again is hilarious even if not played that way). That variety is why this show is so amazing, because you have no idea what you're getting every week and that surprise is half of the fun.

See this (and please don't take this personally, or as directed at you specifically) sounds a lot like the type of show a person will watch and 'appreciate the art of comedy.' They will comment on how funny something is (or rather, should be) without actually laughing out loud.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for different types of humor. Sometimes, a character gets a pie in the face. Other times, he accidentally walks into a rake, and still others he might trip and fall. Those are all very different kinds of comedy (kidding.) On a serious note, I get that the show has range and he tries to do different things with each episode. That's actually cool, because he could make bank doing a network sitcom but instead is trying a more original approach. The diversity of the show is one of the reasons I keep watching. However, if I watch a whole segment and don't laugh, then I don't give a damn how well written and thought out it was. It wasn't very funny.

WebDudette
08-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Really, the only show I laugh out loud watching is America's Funniest Home Videos, because I love watching people eat fucking shit. I find a lot of things funny, but I don't necessarily laugh out lout at them.