View Full Version : Music licensing and performance rights

07-21-2012, 08:50 AM
I have a quick question and I was wondering if anyone here knew where I should start. Some of you might know that I teach a local high school drumline, and every year we have an indoor drumline competing ensemble. (If you are unfamiliar with this, check out some WGI drumlines). For this upcoming season, I'd like to do the music of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" but I'm not really sure how to go about getting performance rights for this. Would I be able to do this through BMI or ASCAP, or would I have to go straight to the publisher? Also, since indoor drumline is such a visual art, I'd be using some images from the movie/album art. Would I need to gain rights to use these as well? This group obviously would not be earning a profit in any way, so I don't know if that would affect anything. If you guys have any tips or pointers, it is much appreciated. Thank you!

07-21-2012, 10:26 AM
I work in the licensing department of a Music Publishing firm - you'd need to look up the associated publishers for the music (through ASCAP or BMI), and secure the rights from EACH publisher involved (in rock it's probably one or two - in hip-hop its upwards of 10!). Regardless of whether or not you're profiting, most publishers will want to be compensated, although gratis licenses are possible. You would also need to get rights to the images you'd be using. Any other questions, just let me know.