PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy Of One-why the hate?

OffspringFreakess
07-25-2012, 06:19 AM
I don't understand why so many people don't like Conspiracy Of One. It's definitely one of my favorite albums by them. I don't know if it's because it holds a lot of nostalgic value to me or not, but I feel like this album doesn't get enough credit when I personally think it's a wonderful album. This album had such a different sound that pulled me in. I remember when it came out, and all of the hype around it-how it's not going to follow up Americana, they're going to fail, ect... and don't get me wrong, Americana is probably my favorite album by them, but CO1 really blew me away when it came out. Every now and then I'll put the album on and listen to it front to back (I just got it on vinyl last Christmas!) and I remember what a truly great record it is. Anyone else feel the same?

I would have to say my favorite songs are "Million Miles Away", "Vultures", "Come Out Swinging", "Special Delivery" and "Conspiracy Of One".

Jojan
07-25-2012, 06:57 AM
I think that it gets less attention because the other previous records are greater and not because itself is bad.

It is a similar issue as with Splinter. But Splinter was mainly just too short.

SapoCocas
07-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Are we gonna have a thread like this about every album now?

RageAndLov
07-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Co1 has a few good tracks, like Huck It and Special Delivery, but overall it is too "pop-punk" or poppy for me.

BagOfShenanigans
07-25-2012, 07:18 AM
I enjoy the album. Not only because it was my first one, but because it's great.

Come out Swinging has a great vibe, and reminds me a bit of Something to believe in.

Original Prankster may be a really goony song with no visible message, but it's still pretty catchy. Better, at least, than Cruisin' California.

Want You Bad is a good song, but the opening guitar riff always scares the shit out of me when I have my ipod on shuffle.

Million Miles Away is the most overrated underrated song ever. I still love the vocals though.

Damn it I Changed Again has never made any sense to me, and has probably only stuck with me because saying 'bad words' seemed cool when I was younger.

Living in Chaos is a great song, though I'm more partial to the early Demo version.

Special Delivery is some mixture of funny and creepy. It's kind of underrated.

One Fine Day is awesome. All who say otherwise are cotton-headed ninny-muggins.

All Along is like So Alone. It's good, but it's over too quickly.

Denial, Revisited blows most of the Offspring's slower songs out of the water. It's no Gone Away, but it's a great song.

Vultures. Does anyone even know about this song? This song should have been a single.

Conspiracy of One. Probably the only title track that I never really cared for.

RageAndLov
07-25-2012, 07:20 AM
^Yes, Living in Chaos demo version is way better than the finished product. I really dislike Living in Chaos on Co1, but I like the demo version very much.

Defender
07-25-2012, 07:29 AM
"Conspiracy of one" is great! I love all the songs one by one("One fine day" not so much). I like its sound and I enjoy listening to it every time! The songs do have a real Offspring-sound. Smash,CO1 and the new one are my top 3 albums. If CO1 had not released after "Americana"(Americana's success overshadowed CO1), the most of the fans would have liked it much more.

OffspringFreakess
07-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Are we gonna have a thread like this about every album now?

We're just talking about the albums that get the most hate...if you don't want to hear about it, that's fine, you don't have to join in.

OffspringFreakess
07-25-2012, 09:30 AM
what is this Living In Chaos demo everyone's talking about? I don't think I've ever heard it! If someone could send a copy my way that would be awesome :)

OffspringFreakess
07-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I enjoy the album. Not only because it was my first one, but because it's great.

Want You Bad is a good song, but the opening guitar riff always scares the shit out of me when I have my ipod on shuffle.

Agreed!! every. single. time. without fail.

Vultures. Does anyone even know about this song? This song should have been a single.

Also agreed. That guitar riff is just so unique. The whole song is, really. It sounds like a combo of Dirty Magic and Pay The Man sort of.

BagOfShenanigans
07-25-2012, 09:38 AM
what is this Living In Chaos demo everyone's talking about? I don't think I've ever heard it! If someone could send a copy my way that would be awesome :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDxcCcbh2eI

OffspringFreakess
07-25-2012, 09:52 AM

wow this sounds awesome! thanks so much!!

yknow, before the effects on the vocals and such, it sounds sooo much like "Ignition Dexter", doesn't it?

findout5
07-25-2012, 10:47 AM
On Living in chaos (demo) I like the pre-chorus part a lot...kinda reminds me of Ixnay!
I like CO1 too, but as someone said...the previous records were better. Still a very enjoyable record.

Tiny Vessels
07-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Conspiracy Of One is a pretty damn good album. There is only probably one song on there that I really don't care for. But overall is damn good.

KTILLA23
07-25-2012, 11:16 AM
I think Co1 is awesome! It also has one of my favorite stretches on any of there album Want you bad, Million miles away, and Dammit i changed again. I think this album has some of the most energy of any of there albums, oh and you can't forget other great songs off of Co1 Come Out Swinging, Living in Chaos, All Along, and the song Co1.

cool 2 hate 681
07-25-2012, 11:55 AM
i really love conspiracy of one to me it was the last great offspring album i think it's just as good as ixnay on the hombre

Scythe Death
07-25-2012, 12:07 PM

The pre-chorus sounds like garbage. I'm glad it was removed. It diluted the better qualities of the song. The only thing I prefer about this is the shouting in the instead of "GET ON ET, DUR DUR ET, IT'S ON!". Other than that, the album version much superior.

I also find it interesting how the let the instrumentals in the verse just ride without vocals-- they're so good.

Llamas
07-25-2012, 02:28 PM
I like the Living in Chaos demo the same as the album version. Both are really cool in different ways.

Regarding CO1, it has a few gems on it, but it also has the highest number of songs I dislike of ANY Offspring album. I hate Original Prankster, Want You Bad, and One Fine Day... and I also don't really like Special Delivery. Plus I think that All Along is probably their worst fast punk song. It just feels like they were trying too hard. So basically, I like Come Out Swinging (really good), Million Miles Away (awesome), Dammit I Changed Again (good), Living in Chaos (awesome), Vultures (awesome), and Conspiracy of One (really good). The closest album to that is Splinter, which also has only six songs I dig.

Splinter and Conspiracy are my two least favorite Offspring albums, and how I've found myself perceiving them is that Splinter has extreme highs and lows - really amazing tunes, but also really horrible ones; Conspiracy is more average throughout. Million Miles Away, Living in Chaos, and Vultures for me are not as awesome as The Noose, (Can't Get My) Head Around You, and Lightning Rod... but Original Prankster and Want You Bad aren't as bad as Worst Hangover Ever and When You're in Prison. So in the end, they're about equal on my scale, but I think I like Splinter just a touch more cause of the few amazing songs on it.

Edit: I totally forgot about Denial, Revisited. I love that song.

sneedo83
07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I think Conspiracy of one just seems like too much of an attempt at making Americana 2.0, the jokey song Original Prankster was seemingly Pretty Fly 2 and Million Miles Away at times seems like The Kid's Aren't Alright.

The title track is awesome though all of you guys saying it's not that good or just plain bad are weirdos.

OffspringFreakess
07-25-2012, 03:06 PM
The title track is awesome though all of you guys saying it's not that good or just plain bad are weirdos.

word. i don't understand how no one can like that song.

Llamas
07-25-2012, 03:49 PM
I think Conspiracy of one just seems like too much of an attempt at making Americana 2.0, the jokey song Original Prankster was seemingly Pretty Fly 2 and Million Miles Away at times seems like The Kid's Aren't Alright.

Absolutely. Conspiracy is a pop-punk-by-the-numbers album that heavily reflects Americana, but with much less originality. Special Delivery has ALWAYS reminded me of Walla Walla for some reason... Million Miles Away reminds me of The Kids Aren't Alright (so does Dammit I Changed Again)... Original Prankster = Pretty Fly... etc, etc. Plus the album's structure is super similar, starting off with a throw-away intro, and then you have Have You Ever or Come Out Swinging, which are even pretty similar songs.

Yeah I like the title track. It's a good song. But it's not thaaaat great.

Godxilla
07-25-2012, 07:49 PM
What hate? Even the haters on this forum are lovin on Consiracy.

As for me, every track is awesome to me. The only one that isn't fun to listen to is Intro. But it's fun to cover! Co1 is just plain awesome.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I <3 Conspiracy of One

disclaimer_07
07-26-2012, 02:02 AM
Special Delivery has ALWAYS reminded me of Walla Walla for some reason... .

Interesting... It's actually One Fine Day that has always reminded me of Walla Walla.

NoGuessing
07-26-2012, 06:52 AM
I like most of co1 individually, but as an album nothing stands out for me. It doesn't have anything bringing it something extra. It's like Americana or even Splinter without a song I really really love.

Godxilla
07-26-2012, 01:34 PM
I like most of co1 individually, but as an album nothing stands out for me. It doesn't have anything bringing it something extra. It's like Americana or even Splinter without a song I really really love.

At least it doesn't have anything bad on it. In today's music scene, we should give thanks for CDs that don't have any bad tracks. That's why I love Co1. Overall, it averages out to one of the best.

Outerspaceman21
07-26-2012, 06:13 PM

Agreed. CO1 always seemed to me that they were trying to duplicate Americana, even by using the same artist to do the artwork for the album. I enjoy some of the tracks, there are some really good ones like Million Miles Away, Living in Chaos, and Vultures, but there are less than stellar tracks like Original Prankster, One Fine Day, Dammit I Change Again, Denial, Revisited. It's okay, but is easily my least favorite Offspring album. Most of my appreciation for Splinter comes from the fact that it was a big step up from CO1, even if it too was short album with a lot of filler.

cool 2 hate 681
07-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Agreed. CO1 always seemed to me that they were trying to duplicate Americana, even by using the same artist to do the artwork for the album.

they are still trying to duplicate Americana look at the artwork for slim pickens and it's still not as good as the artwork for americana and co1 i think they should bring that guy back

also i can't understand how people can hate co1 and love days go by i would rather hear original prankster all day long then ever hear cruising california again in my life

smileemptysoul44
07-26-2012, 09:22 PM
its not a bad album..but what album is it better then.. it has to be my 8th or 9th favorite..

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
07-27-2012, 10:53 AM
i would rather hear original prankster all day long then ever hear cruising california again in my life
Same. I'm trying to forget CC exists.

OffspringFreakess
07-27-2012, 12:05 PM
i would rather hear original prankster all day long then ever hear cruising california again in my life

haha YES thank you

Outerspaceman21
07-27-2012, 06:03 PM
they are still trying to duplicate Americana look at the artwork for slim pickens and it's still not as good as the artwork for americana and co1 i think they should bring that guy back

CO1 artwork was weak imo. Most of it was silly, whereas the Americana artwork was darker and more sinister. The artwork for Dividing by Zero and Slim Pickens did a better job capturing that dark sinister look than CO1

sneedo83
07-29-2012, 06:36 AM
I don't think the same artist worked on both Frank Kozik worked on Americana and Alan Forbes on CO1.

Oxygene
07-29-2012, 11:14 AM
CO1 has the best artwork ever IMHO