PDA

View Full Version : Where Did The Offspring GO???

mpr3369
07-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Man I just listened to the new album and was disappointed enough to register and post this thread. I know I'll probably get bashed on here for this but oh well. I've seen them in concert on multiple occasions. When they opened for Pennywise it had to be one of the best shows I've ever seen. But this album sounds way too pop for me. Where is the good old offspring that I miss? The good old days of smash and ignition. WE NEED SOME GOOD OLD FASHIONED PUNK BACK FROM YOU GUYS! Your a punk band what went wrong!!!! I know a lot of bands change their sound to sell records but not you guys. Come on!!! Alright I said my peace now you diehard offspring fans can bash away and the old school punks like me can sit back and shake our heads in disbelief.

Zee
07-28-2012, 02:39 PM
The thing is, they make the music they want, not what you want. You either listen to it or not. Not a rocket science. :)

mpr3369
07-28-2012, 02:42 PM
That is true. I'm glad you brought that to my attention. I actually thought we were building an Atlas V rocket here. In all seriousness though it's my opinion and I'm just stating it. So if you don't like it don't read it!

Zee
07-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Haha... yes, now it's said then. :D Just be satisfied at the old stuff if that's your cup of tea and not the new ones, they don't take away anything of them!

mpr3369
07-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Oh I will. I'll be listening to it while I build launch pads cause in all honesty that's what I do so your comment about rocket science is pretty funny. And I use to work on the space shuttle before they retired the fleet. :D

Tijs
07-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Your a punk band what went wrong!!!!As the great Noodles once said: "We don't care about the rules of punk rock."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99xhCty3fM0#t=5m01s

TheNooseIsFalling
07-28-2012, 04:07 PM
That's strange. This is by far their lest poppy album in a very long time. There's lots and lots of fast punk stuff there, I think some of the best work they've ever done.

cool 2 hate 681
07-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Man I just listened to the new album and was disappointed enough to register and post this thread. I know I'll probably get bashed on here for this but oh well. I've seen them in concert on multiple occasions. When they opened for Pennywise it had to be one of the best shows I've ever seen. But this album sounds way too pop for me. Where is the good old offspring that I miss? The good old days of smash and ignition. WE NEED SOME GOOD OLD FASHIONED PUNK BACK FROM YOU GUYS! Your a punk band what went wrong!!!! I know a lot of bands change their sound to sell records but not you guys. Come on!!! Alright I said my peace now you diehard offspring fans can bash away and the old school punks like me can sit back and shake our heads in disbelief.

im a diehard offspring fan but im not going to bash you in fact i agree with you but unfortunately the offspring will probably never make a punk album again :(

BagOfShenanigans
07-28-2012, 04:50 PM
>Where did the Offspring go?

Last I heard, Hampton Beach, New Hampshire.

nevo
07-28-2012, 04:52 PM
This album was, as Dexter once said, a little bit of their whole history in one CD. It truly is some of their best work in a long time. Far greater then RafRag, IMO. So, if you can't appreciate this album, you probably can't appreciate the band for what they love to write. Go listen to AFI, they seem to keep making the same albums. :)

BagOfShenanigans
07-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Isn't making the same albums a bad thing?

I'm pretty sure that's what Nickelback does.

smileemptysoul44
07-28-2012, 05:24 PM
i love the offspring, but im honest about them.. theres not one cd they have where i 100% like every track, but this one i think had one of my highest "like" ratings.. tracks 1,2,4,5,8,9,11,12 are solid... i dont mind 6 if im in a funky kinda clownin mood, but 1 and 2 are 2 of the BEST songs theve ever made, secrets from the underground has to be in my top 3, i like it more then i ever liked self esteem....

Chestbrah
07-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Go listen to AFI, they seem to keep making the same albums. :)

LOL listen to their last album Crash Love... the album title alone says all but listen to it and compare to black sails or art of drowning, it is more different then rafrag is from ST or ignition

Tiny Vessels
07-28-2012, 05:39 PM
LOL listen to their last album Crash Love... the album title alone says all but listen to it and compare to black sails or art of drowning, it is more different then rafrag is from ST or ignition

I totally agree with you.

_Lost_
07-28-2012, 07:31 PM
But this album sounds way too pop for me. Where is the good old offspring that I miss? The good old days of smash and ignition.

I'm just wondering if you've heard the progression of albums from the last 16 years. While its definitely not like old school Offspring, the style progression from Ixnay to now leaves Days Go By far from shocking. I don't think people will fault you for disliking it since there are a lot of members who wish they would write like they used to, but your post sounds like you bought it 17 years after the last Offspring album you bought and expected it to sound the same.

Scythe Death
07-28-2012, 08:28 PM
The thing is, they make the music they want, not what you want. You either listen to it or not. Not a rocket science. :)

The thing is, they want to make the music that 12 year old teenyboppers want instead of good music. That is objectionable. Not rocket science.

It truly is some of their best work in a long time. Far greater then RafRag, IMO. So, if you can't appreciate this album, you probably can't appreciate the band for what they love to write. Go listen to AFI, they seem to keep making the same albums. :)

Everything in this quote is wrong.

Tiny Vessels
07-28-2012, 08:38 PM
If you think you're punk, you're punk. But if you don't see yourself as punk then you're not. There comes a point where you gotta growup and mature. It does make me sad that we won't get another album like Smash, but I'm happy with DGB. I can't complain about it. All bands go through changes. I'll love the Offspring no matter what.

DividingByZero71
07-28-2012, 10:28 PM

thats pretty much it.

I personally love this album. Dividing by zero, Hurting as one, and Slim Pickings kind of remind me of their old stuff. So the whole album isn't pop

XYlophonetreeZ
07-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Oh look, it's this thread again.

Rooster
07-29-2012, 01:23 AM
This album was, as Dexter once said, a little bit of their whole history in one CD. It truly is some of their best work in a long time. Far greater then RafRag, IMO. So, if you can't appreciate this album, you probably can't appreciate the band for what they love to write. Go listen to AFI, they seem to keep making the same albums. :)

Naah, the progression AFI took could hardly be more disappointing. I love the Black Sails to Art of Drowning era, but after that... Oh well, I can still listen to those albums.

Don't worry about getting bashed mpr3369. I like the new album a lot, more than the previous one. It just has more energy and to me it sounds punkier than Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, although it is poppier than their old material. Well, save for a couple of songs (Cruising California and OC Guns). But I realise that not everyone has to like the album. It only gets on my nerves when somebody's being a global douche when expressing his or her opinion, and you aren't like that.

holland25
07-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Soooooooooomewhereeeeeeee over the ranbooooooooooooooow.

Okay, I suck, I shouldn't drink.

Cannotdevidebyzero
07-29-2012, 04:07 AM
I really like this album :) There's only two songs i don't like they are Cruising California and All I Have Left Is You. I think die hard Offspring 'fans' were just pissed off because the band released a crappy pop song, so have decided to rag on the whole album. The album as a whole is great IMO and one of the reasons i have always loved The Offspring is because there's always a different sound on every album :)

RageAndLov
07-29-2012, 08:06 AM

Like _Lost_ was saying, if the last Offspring album you heard was Smash, and now you listen to this, I can see how you felt that the progression was unprecedented. But DGB is not that different from any other major label record sound-wise. Offspring's greatest album is by far Ignition, but it was released 20 years ago, so I don't expect them to make a similar album. In fact I was surprised that they made Divide By Zero, because it sounds like it is from S/T or Ignition era. One would think you would be happy with at least that song.

Offspring has progressed with their sound much more steadily than other bands, which have been given critique because of their very rapid sound progression, such as bands like AFI or Against Me!.

Jojan
07-29-2012, 12:28 PM
My BFF Amiralanal had a hypothesis about this lyric being some kind of hit on what is happening to band. If I got it right, he thinks that they are having issues with the label who wants them to produce commercial songs and not the good old songs that we all love.

Ahh and we'll never be the same
Cause there's nothing left for us to bleed
Give it up the champions of greed
So come around and have another round on me