PDA

View Full Version : Lacuna Coil

Eskimo
08-06-2012, 03:15 AM
Couldn't see a thread in the search thingie.

I finally got around to listening to Dark Adrenaline (didn't even realize they had a new disc out, shows how much I've kinda fallen out of the loop with them after the last two efforts), and...grr.

I kind of really, really hate the "sellout" argument with bands, but with these guys I think it actually kind of applies. Holy shit. Karmacode started down this road I guess, and that disc is so much lamer than everything before, but it never bugged me half as much as these two newer ones after it.

Dark Adrenaline's better than the last one, but it's almost just like...they sound like some nu-metal band now, it's lame. Really hardly any of the creepy, weird, atmospheric stuff they had on the first three, up until Comalies. I think I actually prefer their soft stuff than when they bust out the droptuned guitars and Italian-guy-yelling.

Don't really know how to describe what's different about the new stuff, on the surface it *sounds* like them, I guess. Superficially. I just hate their step into the catchy radio-friendly arena, not that that type of stuff usually bothers me (hell, Offspring fan anyone?). Just really, really doesn't suit them.

Having Don "Linkin Park lolz" Gilmore produce their shit now probably doesn't help.

God I miss, like, pre-2003. I feelz oldz, zomg, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdyl-JrKh5g Full thing on the Yout00bz. Not sure if that's against policy or whatever here, linking to music, if so I'll delete it.

But yeah. These guys used to, you know, not suck. I don't really get why bands do this. Like, even Evanescence are (or were, I guess, with the original four) a band I feel has, you know, some talent. They just haven't used fucking any of it since before their first album, when they were releasing some pretty interesting EPs and stuff. There are plenty of bands that just do their own thing, for themselves, no matter whether they're on an independent or a major. With this Lacuna Coil stuff it just seems so blatant, though, like it's an actual conscious shift to reach into the charts or whatever.

I like to whine and be a grumpy pouty asshole.

Tiny Vessels
08-06-2012, 08:07 AM
I just never could really get into them. Pre 2003 stuff too. I have a 1 or 2 different mix cds that have a couple of their songs on it hoping to get into them cause of my friends really liked them and all I heard is you gotta hear them you gotta listen to this song and blah blahblah. I did try but it just wasn't my thing.

Eskimo
08-08-2012, 01:27 AM
Yeah. I suppose in a way that's my argument, though. They used to be weird and very "Euro" and "not for everyone"

This new shit pretty much sounds like every other radio-friendly Korn bandwagoner.

Eskimo
08-10-2012, 12:55 AM
After another listen-though, I have to give credit for "My Spirit" being totally titties. Cool, in English.

Moar of dis, plz, Lacuna. Moar.

OC HAU
08-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Oh yeah, I gave them a chance, but I deleted everything eventually I guess.

The black clothes style of the band, beards and her clean voice are not for me.

I have an urge to call them a right wing band, but whatever that means...ya know it's like certain people listen to Pink Floyd or Queen and you are not one of those. :D But, I actually saved some of the Queen's Best Of songs. Pink Floyd might be the next. :d