PDA

View Full Version : What Type Of Music Would You Classify Offspring Under?

Lithuanian Offspring
10-28-2004, 02:01 AM
THis is a thing I could never really figure what type of music Offspring was. Now I believe they are a type of punk. But to me they are just the Offspring.

Hysteria
10-28-2004, 02:05 AM
Well it's an interesting question, one which I believe doesn't have a proper answer.

Some people say punk, but I classify punk as more Vandals sort of stuff.
Some people would say punk-rock, which I think is closer to the offspring's style, but then you get people calling Good Charlotte punk-rock, so maybe thats not it either.
Not only that, but The Offspring do a few variations, some of their songs are far more rocky, some far more punky. I just classify them as The Offspring, the best genre I can think of them being is Rocky-Punk. :cool:

selfrighteoussuicide
10-28-2004, 02:08 AM
i think 'punk metal' as its a lot heavier than other punk like good charlotte or green day

Hysteria
10-28-2004, 02:14 AM
Hmm, I don't think so, there's nothing really too metally about The Offspring.

Maybe Alternative-Punk?!

Lithuanian Offspring
10-28-2004, 02:16 AM
So we are in agreement that the offspring are in the genre of
Offspring. That is the best I think for them. And thats why I like them, cause they have no real genre. :D

Hysteria
10-28-2004, 02:20 AM
Indeed, although I think alternative-punk is a reasonable genre. :D

selfrighteoussuicide
10-28-2004, 02:21 AM
same here :)

Hysteria
10-28-2004, 02:22 AM
I'm glad someone agrees with me. :)

Satankaban
10-28-2004, 03:01 AM
Now thereīs a chance for me. The first two albums are punk. Smash is also punk. All the albums are punk, but from "Ixnay" they are more and more rocky, but I think, that "Ixnay" is their best, but it doesnīt matter. I think, that now they play skate punk! Someone said, that itīs something like Good Charlotte punk, but Good Charlotte is shit!!! Maybe "Hold on" and "Predictable" are good, but my friend borrowed me their first album and it was really shit!!! "The Offspring" are best in skate punk, because they play it in different way than other skate punk bands. Maybe who says that they are The Offspring genre is right, because itīs really something different than other genres and itīs great!!!!!

Sixpence.
10-28-2004, 03:25 AM
I agree with all of you, also with the sort of alternative punk, because they got the California Music Award for outstanding alternative album.
But you can't really classify their style and that's more than great.
And apart fromt that I don't really care what sort of music it is. It's just sounds great and even though Ixnay is different from Smash or Ignition (all albums are different from the other ones) it's great.
I think that this Offspring style is just good, because the melody always fits to the lyrics. And that's more important than to stay in a genre. They don't try to stay in agenre, they just do the things which fit for them.

dirty_magic
10-28-2004, 03:27 AM
i agree too, but its more punk rock than punk, punk is bands like clash and sex pistols

Sixpence.
10-28-2004, 03:30 AM
I don't know, they're just everything in any ways.

[popple]
10-28-2004, 04:27 AM
Punk music is dead and buried, it died years ago. Punks are bands like the Sex Pistols etc. I don't think The Offspring or any band today sound like the Sex Pistols, do you? Therefore The Offspring are not punk, never will be. I cringe whenever anybody mentions The Offspring being punk, it's so ignorant of what ounk music was all about. They are simply rock music in my eyes, and ears.

TeddyBear_Army
10-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Well...I think Punk Metal is just right!

RXP
10-28-2004, 09:55 AM
I'd say they're pop in that they're popular

Punk cause they sound it

Skater/surf punks due to the use of their music in those vids and their hobbies

dirty_magic
10-28-2004, 11:05 AM
don't ever mention pop and the offspring in the same sentence! however i do agree with the surfy bit

Strider
10-28-2004, 11:19 AM
Yes..."pop" is an insulting to The Offspring. i would say their style is close to surf-punk, although I think they aren't to be compared to anything.

Sausageman
10-28-2004, 12:19 PM
how about they are kool-punk-rock? i think they are kool, they do punk sounding songs and rock sounding one's so i think that genre suits the perfectly

Obie2trice
10-28-2004, 12:28 PM
punk is not the sex pistols. punk is more than just music, it`s more of a lifestyle. But it shouldn`t really matter what kind of music it is, as long as it sounds good to your ears. In my opinion, offspring is just punk-rock. That`s the main category for bands as offspring, blink, sum41, greenday etc

dirty_magic
10-28-2004, 12:30 PM
they are punk rock but they are more surfy than other punk rock bands

Obie2trice
10-28-2004, 12:32 PM
whatever you want, but most of the songs are not `surfy`IMO. But that is something where we really shouldn`t argue about :)

nightvision
10-28-2004, 12:34 PM
I've actually read every post in this thread, ain't that something?

Tired_Of_You
10-28-2004, 12:50 PM
They make jazz music, seriously I'd say punk rock.

selfrighteoussuicide
10-28-2004, 01:05 PM
i reckon 'alternative rock' to keep things simple

IdleOffspring
10-28-2004, 01:09 PM
punk rock!

Special Delivery BR.
10-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Yea.... Indeed, good question!
PPl have diferent opinion about their style, type of music.... some ppl says its punk-rock.... i read once in a newspaper calling offpsring hardcore (i really dont agree)...... another pp lsay its metal..
Offpsring mixes many styles, maybe a "punk-rock-pop-metal"..
in the album Americana, that was more pop than normal, but it can variate...

I think its a alternative punk too =)
But The Offspring is the Offspring \../

"BuT U CanT KiLL A MaN WhEN He's GoT No Hopeeeeeeee"
STUPID DUMB SHIT GODAMN M.O.T.H.E.R.F.U.C.K.E.R!

=P

Jewel_Blue_Ibanez
10-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Eclectic Punk

noodlesdec25
10-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Dudes! Offspring is Punk...not punk rock NO POP no metal no hardcore no nothing.......offspring is a punk band like nofx tsol ramones sexpistols the clash pennywise or mxpx......this bands have variations to metal....some of them like ramones and sex pistols are a little pop but this band are s little pop, some have underground sounds or ska but 4 or 5 songs cant make more than 100 change dudes.....offspring is PuNk! they variations cant change it.....o and good charlotte is closer to classical music than punk....blink started being punk....bad religion like offspring still... :)

noodler
10-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Yeah very very good topic man.

Hmmm I totally agree that the 1st 3 albums were definetly punk. No Question.

However from IXNAY onwards i think its been less and less punk until Splinter came along.

That being said ixnay and CO1 are still great rock albums. Americana was the worst but it still had about 6 good tracks which is bad for The Offspring but probly good by other band's standards.

Alternative punk or ALT rock sum them up best.

i dont see how they are pop at all tho.

where im from they havent been in the top 40 of anything for years.[dublin BTW and since americana i believe]

offspringbaby2004
10-28-2004, 08:20 PM
I would classify it under... GREAT MUSIC :D.
Ummm well sometimes I guess it could be punk-rock, or pop-punk.... I don't know why we need to classify them .... its good music :P

~mandy~

Funky-Munky
10-28-2004, 08:21 PM
I agree with him

Funky-Munky
10-28-2004, 08:22 PM
or her watever. srry

Betty
10-29-2004, 12:23 AM
Punk rock, though with influences (ska, metal, grunge, whatever else).

And I wouldn't hesitate to throw in some "pop" because pop in the good way is not insulting in the least. It can be associated with happy, catchy, dancey, etc. It doesn't mean that they are the same as New Found Glory or Good Charlotte or those other bad "pop punk" bands.

I am so bad at describing music...

big_man
10-29-2004, 02:59 AM
Punk to Hard Rok i recon, its hard though, they r harder than punk they're not quite hard rok....? :cool:

StayInTheHouseCarl
10-29-2004, 06:39 AM
yeah, i think its annoying that every band has to categorized. just let them play their music people!

Dexter_H
10-29-2004, 06:56 AM
People say that Americana is poppy, but i disagree. It has a couple of pop songs but I'll go through them all with what I think the genre is.
Have you Ever - punk rock
Staring at the sun - punk rock
Pretty Fly - pop punk
KAA - punk rock
Feelings - punk rock
Shes got issures - pop punk
walla walla - punk rock
end of the line - punk rock
no brakes - punk rock
get a job - alternate/pop
Americana - punk rock
Pay the man - Alternate then goes punk rock.