PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion on not having a Facebook account ?

Tisiacs
08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I recently deleted my facebook account, I grew sick of it, and honestly, it was taking away much of my productive time, and it didn't have much of an impact on my social life, even though I had over 1000 so-called friends.

My friends are crucifying me for such a harsh decision, but I wanted to ask you guys what is your opinion on staying away from a social network.

P.S: read this article too: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184658/Is-joining-Facebook-sign-youre-psychopath-Some-employers-psychologists-say-suspicious.html

Outerspaceman21
08-09-2012, 02:33 PM
I have a facebook and I use it often, but I don't see a problem in not wanting a facebook. I don't understand the scrutiny some people get for not wanting to be a part of a certain website. It's a persons own decision. Besides, people managed to stay in contact with each other without the aid of a social networking site for years.

Tiny Vessels
08-09-2012, 02:52 PM
It is up the person if they want Facebook or not. I have friends who don't have it and won't ever get it and I also have friends who do have it but never use it and me I check mine pretty much everyday/couple times a day. Its all personal opinion.

Jojan
08-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I left Facebook on August 1st, 2011. I joined sometime in 2007. At first I enjoyed it. It was fun to try and come up with statuses that began "is" and written in third person. But of course it was difficult at times, so it got a bit easier when they made "is" optional. Now you can write it as "was", "has", "want to", und so weiter.

All along, however, other people did not care about it at all. Completely ignoring the purpose of status updates and whatever fucking shit they wanted. Earlier in 2011, they even made the status come on a new line and not directly after one's name. That is when I told my friend that I wanted to commit suicide. So we made a pact to mass suicide (just the two of us) on August 1st. So we did.

The other reasons were that I found Facebook's way of treating their users unfair and very disrespectful. I also did not give a fuck about what most people wrote, and even the people that I do care about did not always write things that I found interesting. So I thought that if they want me to know, they can tell me in other ways. I have two e-mail addresses, I use two instant messaging protocols and I have two phone numbers that I can be reached on. Some people even know where I live, and could try and find me there.

If you really want to stop using Facebook, you should block it from connecting to your devices by redirecting Facebook's sites to another site, or your local host address in your hosts file (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29). This is how mine looks:

127.0.0.1 facebook.com
127.0.0.1 facebook.net
127.0.0.1 facebook.se
127.0.0.1 ads.ak.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 badge.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 blog.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 connect.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 creative.ak.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 developers.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 en-gb.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 login.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 static.ak.connect.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 sv-se.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www.facebook.net
127.0.0.1 www.facebook.se
127.0.0.1 www.connect.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www.login.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www.static.ak.connect.facebook.com

Reasons to do that is because Facebook can track you even if you have logged out, and even if you are not a member. (Google does that too.) There are other ways of achieving the same thing.

BagOfShenanigans
08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't have any friends.

Godxilla
08-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I think you probably made a good choice. I don't do Facebook, but once it starts taking over, it's probably time to stop. I prefer having real friends, those who recognize me when we meet, rather than ask "from where do I know you?" when we message. Plus, I don't need to see somebody putting up a picture of his boobs every five seconds.

TheJakes84
08-09-2012, 07:00 PM
-MySpace
-Twitter
-FaceBook
-VampireFreaks
-YouTube

and all of the other socalled social networks aren't for me anymore. The reason why I deleted all of them is due to the fact that the F.B.I. and the Government are spying on all of us human beings.

It takes away some real time in my private life though. I do cherish my privacy in my real life. On here I am the infamous-troll iPunk. and In public, I am a one of the lowkey person's that actually gives a flying-fuck-shit.

Folks, why even bother using such trendy-asshole/popular fake account (s)?

Tech is a dangerous little/evil device (s).

WebDudette
08-09-2012, 07:15 PM
You know what's worse than people who seek attention on Facebook? People who use the fact that they don't have a Facebook to seek attention.

How can you tell someone doesn't have a Facebook account? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
08-09-2012, 11:20 PM
somebody putting up a picture of his boobs
I beg your pardon.

Jojan
08-10-2012, 05:26 AM
http://i.qkme.me/36khvp.jpg

samseby
08-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Guess the general "hype" is over ... more and more people are leaving facebook and some guys made a hell of a lot of money :p

Godxilla
08-10-2012, 10:47 AM
I beg your pardon.

What, do the men in Canada not have boobs?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
08-10-2012, 11:29 AM
There are guys with man boobs (moobs), but they don't really post pictures of them on Facebook.

WeAreOne9
08-10-2012, 12:38 PM
I agree with your decision. I deleted Facebook while I was in university because I felt it was too much of a distraction during exams. The only problem I had was for events, people would text me the day of and ask me if I was coming and why I didn't reply on facebook. People who are close friends will always find time to send you a quick text message before hand.

bighead384
08-10-2012, 12:44 PM
How can you tell someone doesn't have a Facebook account? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Hahaha, yes! I can't stand when people are all high and mighty about not having a facebook. They make it sound like being on facebook means you've given into some pathetic urge that they are above. A lot of time, I feel like some people just have some sort of uncommon personality traits that don't translate well onto social networking. So these people just end up making up stupid reasons for why they don't have one, including the idea that there's something deeply, inherently wrong with having a facebook.

I also know a couple people with few friends/no social life that try to justify not having many fb friends or pictures of them doing activities by saying that people who get too 'into it' are losers, and they only use facebook once in a blue moon when they're bored.

killer_queen
08-10-2012, 01:37 PM
You know what's worse than people who seek attention on Facebook? People who use the fact that they don't have a Facebook to seek attention.

And why does this bother everyone? So what if we're bragging about it? After all there's something to brag about when you don't choose to spend hours for looking at the photos of the people you barely know. And if we're so annoying why is everyone saying "oh yes, I'm thinking about deleting it too" whenever I say I don't have an account? You have to admit it, lots of people are feeling guilty about wasting time on facebook, that's why they're so bitter about people who don't have accounts.

WeAreOne9
08-10-2012, 01:49 PM
And why does this bother everyone? So what if we're bragging about it? After all there's something to brag about when you don't choose to spend hours for looking at the photos of the people you barely know. And if we're so annoying why is everyone saying "oh yes, I'm thinking about deleting it too" whenever I say I don't have an account? You have to admit it, lots of people are feeling guilty about wasting time on facebook, that's why they're so bitter about people who don't have accounts.

It's when people act superior because they don't have facebook that irritates people. Not subscribing to social media is not an accomplishment.

Little_Miss_1565
08-10-2012, 02:01 PM
I just don't understand why there is so much angst over having or not having a Facebook account. Facebook is a tool like anything else. If it doesn't work for you, don't use it. If it does work for you, use it. But it's also not Facebook's fault that people waste time there. Part of my job involves being on Facebook all day every day, so it's just part of my everything.

Rooster
08-10-2012, 02:20 PM
I used to be one of those people who acted all superior because of not having a facebook account :o

But I gave in. I mostly use it to keep contact with people that I don't see every day or don't have the option of talking to them on the phone. I keep my apps to a minimum, don't play any games (I used to play Mafia Wars before realising how stupid it actually was), and I keep wishing they wouldn't keep constantly changing it. Keep it simple and functional. That timeline thingy is annoying as hell, but luckily I still don't have it.

If I were to delete my profile I doubt I'd miss it though, I'd stay in contact with the people I like via e-mails.

_Lost_
08-10-2012, 02:25 PM
I like having a facebook account. Its useful. Especially since they got the chat function working a lot better than when it first came out. I can IM people, email them, and keep up with whats going on with people I know and care about but don't necessarily want to actually talk to (like my crazy uncle and exceedingly annoying cousins). Not to mention, I use prepaid cell phone networks and have changed my phone number at least 7 times since I started high school.

WebDudette
08-10-2012, 05:02 PM

Sounds to me like you have self control issues. I've never in my life spent hours looking at photos of strangers. I guess I should feel superior to people who need to delete their Facebook, because while I have one I also have the self control to use it as a tool that improves my life, not hinders it. It often saves me quite a bit of time.

So tell me, why would you brag about being someone who has to deactivate your Facebook because you can't properly function with it?

mrconeman
08-10-2012, 05:21 PM
My only opinion is "Who gives a fuck?"

Seriously, I don't care one single little bit about any one persons attitude toward facebook. Most of my friends are on there, so I use it as another means of contacting them, if most of my friends weren't on there I probably wouldn't.

Having or not having a facebook isn't even something to talk about never mind brag.

Godxilla
08-10-2012, 06:07 PM
There are guys with man boobs (moobs), but they don't really post pictures of them on Facebook.

Moobs. That's a creepy word.

If that's so, then clearly you don't live in the states. Oh, wait, you don't. QED.

Back on topic: well, I am guilty of the "I don't have facebook profiles and I'm proud of it, motherfuckers" crime.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
08-10-2012, 11:55 PM
I used to be a proud non-facebooker, but then I got Facebook. I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing. Being at the junior high/high school age, I get a lot of friend requests from people I infrequently talk to who like to post millions of photos about love and teenage relationships. That's the annoying part. Besides that, it's a convenient method to contact my friends and keep up to date on some of the people I actually care about.

Llamas
08-11-2012, 02:09 AM
I know some people who don't have Facebook and are totally fine about it. I didn't know they didn't have one til I specifically asked if they had it.

Facebook has a lot of aspects I hate, but overall I'm glad I have it. Considering I've lived in four countries, have been to 11, and am incredibly social, Facebook is pretty much necessary for me to stay in communication with all the people I know. I have a few friends from the internet on there (mostly some people from the bbs), but otherwise, since I cleansed out all the people I didn't care about a few months ago, my Facebook is mostly full of people I actually care about and want to be connected with. And since there's around 400 of them, email isn't really a feasible option. The best friends I have, I either see in person or talk to on messenger programs frequently, but I can't do that with everyone. I don't like to imagine how many people I would've completely lost touch with if it wasn't for Facebook - and in fact, there are some people from school with whom I was never very close with, but within the last year, we've become incredibly close. Wouldn't have happened without Facebook.

yellow
08-11-2012, 08:59 AM
My cousin set up a page for me one day. A shitload of my family are into it. I gave it try and failed and i haven't been back. I'm a private person.

yellow
08-11-2012, 09:16 AM
It's when people act superior because they don't have F
acebook that irritates people. Not subscribing to social media is not an accomplishment.

Seriously, cause in my opinion that is lame. Facebook was a good idea gone bad. Nowadays it's where folk go to steal an pretend to be other people, to hide.
But then again it is alright for family members that are scattered all over the world. Probably good for planning family reunions and stuff.

To judge someone on whether or not they have a face book page is ridddddcuuuulous.

killer_queen
08-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Sounds to me like you have self control issues. I've never in my life spent hours looking at photos of strangers. I guess I should feel superior to people who need to delete their Facebook, because while I have one I also have the self control to use it as a tool that improves my life, not hinders it. It often saves me quite a bit of time.

So tell me, why would you brag about being someone who has to deactivate your Facebook because you can't properly function with it?
Who said anything about deactivating? I've never had an account in the first place so I wouldn't know about my self control. I just made a simple observation, everyone I know without a single exception spends at least an hour on facebook. Even a very smart girl I know, who had absolutely no interest in gossip recently got an account got kind of addicted. She comes to my house for a few hours and she immediately asks for my computer. Seeing that I just can't say that I won't be like that if I get an account. I wouldn't be so sure if I hadn't spend 3 years in dorms; that made me witness people's everyday life.

Offspring-Junkie
08-12-2012, 04:21 AM
I've had other social network accounts, I don't have a facebook account and I feel superior for not having one. Still there are at least five pictures of me on facebook.

Lizardus
08-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Like someone pointed out before, Facebook is a tool, a massive tool.

I like that it's like a pokedex of people you know.

WeAreOne9
08-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Like someone pointed out before, Facebook is a tool, a massive tool.

I like that it's like a pokedex of people you know.

That is a hilarious analogy

Tiny Vessels
08-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Lately I been on this more then I have been on Facebook.

samseby
08-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Not only do I still not have a facebook account (since I cherish my privacy too) - I don't even have any shares :p
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/facebook-hits-low-ipo-lock-143200785.html

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
08-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Facebook just forced me into updating to the stupid timeline format. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Tiny Vessels
08-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Facebook just forced me into updating to the stupid timeline format. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Mine did too and I fucking hate it.

Llamas
08-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of timeline (and I use socialfixer to undo some of the changes timeline made), but I'm really getting sick of everyone saying that Facebook "forced" them to switch to timeline. No, Facebook changed its format. It's even dumber than the people who bitched and whined about television going digital. OMG they're FORCING me to switch to digital TV!!! No, you can opt out by simply not using their services. I like that Facebook changes, even if I don't care for each one when it first shows up. If Facebook was still the same as when I joined in 2005, I'd have gotten bored with it years ago.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
08-19-2012, 02:32 PM
I'll reword that.

If I wish to continue to use Facebook, I must use the "timeline" format, which sucks.

Al Coholic
08-19-2012, 03:05 PM
I guess nobody's said it (though I've skimmed some) so I will.

I have a facebook, and yes I use it for social whatever in a very limited way - other than a few events, it doesn't much transfer into face-to-face socializing.

However, equally if not more so important, it's a necessary tool for work. Sarah touched on that a bit. Though I'm rarely delegated the role of social media person anywhere I've worked, it is important to stay in touch with business contacts and organizations. More so than important, it works really damn good. Facebook is an ongoing conversation that doesn't obligate the other party reply (the way phone calls an emails do). It allows me to drop a line, or even easier, a like, toward anyone I want to stay in touch with. Imagine if every company I did business with, I had to call them from time to time and say "hey, xyz corp, I still like you guys. kthanx bye." Instead I can just like a status on something they did, maybe even comment on an open question. Now we're (in exactly the way I intended to - mildly) communicating, and it allows me to keep the connection going untill we have real conversation to have.

That part, about being able to communicate, without making the other party feel like they're rude if they don't reply, that's the best part about facebook. That's what keeping in touch is, just keeping the lines open for when we're actually going to communicate. Facebook is not a replacement for other forms of communication, as every bad joker will create bad jokes about. Facebook is a tool that one can use in between those other, more intimate forms of communication. And whether it's a distant friend or business acquaintance, that is absolutely wonderful.