PDA

View Full Version : Pass Me By

TheJakes84
08-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Is Dexter Holland going to finally share it with us on the tenth album like in future years?

I am curious.

Discuss.

Cerberus
08-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Just forget the damn song already. I can't understand why people are so enthusiastic about it. What we have heard is one short riff, nothing else. If they release it so be it, but can we just stop making these pass me by threads. I can't find anything special about it.

KTILLA23
08-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Just what we needed another Pass me by thread, just let it go. I have said this before there is probably tons of demos of songs that we will never hear this one just got out.

TheJakes84
08-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Am I the only one that hasn't heard it? Where is the proof or a link to it? Is it on Youtube or does one of you have it? sorry for this useless/pointless thread.

Rooster
08-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Sometimes it seems that this forum has been overtaken by druids.

Scythe Death
08-13-2012, 12:53 AM
Am I the only one that hasn't heard it? Where is the proof or a link to it? Is it on Youtube or does one of you have it? sorry for this useless/pointless thread.

I haven't heard it either.

Little_Miss_1565
08-13-2012, 01:05 AM
There's like 10 seconds of the song in a studio video from a few albums back, and I think that's all we're going to hear of the song.

KTILLA23
08-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Here for all of you who want to hear it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3vwEBKDjyk

TheJakes84
08-13-2012, 02:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1BaHeQRpOE&feature=related

MOTO13
08-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Sounds like a similar chord progression to Dirty Magic, just slower. Are they going to ever release the song??? How about a video???? Anybody ever hear it live????........bwahahahahahahahahaha

BagOfShenanigans
08-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Can we just act like Pass Me By doesn't exist? Please?

D0NT
08-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Can we just act like Pass Me By doesn't exist? Please?

Can we act like it was reworked into "CANT REPEAT" ? :D

Godxilla
08-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Just because the Politburo here doesn't wanna hear Pass Me By doesn't mean that us nooooooppoooobs don't want to hear it. I might just make a Paas Me By thread just to piss people off.

the hitcher
08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
pass me by has a nice tune, i think its got something on the line of (the future is now)
then it go's in to a full scale punk rock song. would be cool to here a full demo,
but thats just a pipe dream i imagin.

OC HAU
08-14-2012, 06:19 AM
http://www.offspring.com/newcommunity/group.php?groupid=254 (join it, please)

I created some low-budget artwork, 10 pix, but can't upload them into the group.

OC HAU
08-14-2012, 12:51 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/01PMBwhite.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/02PMBgreenimperfect.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/03PMBgreenperfect.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/04PMByellow.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/05PMBred.jpg

OC HAU
08-14-2012, 12:52 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/0APMBheart.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/0BPMBheartgreenperfect.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/0CPMBheartblackperfect.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/0DPMBheartblackgreen.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/0EPMBhearthalfblackgreen.jpg

Scythe Death
08-14-2012, 02:28 PM
I refuse to wear a heart with an acronym of a song I haven't even listened to.

Little_Miss_1565
08-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Just because the Politburo here doesn't wanna hear Pass Me By doesn't mean that us nooooooppoooobs don't want to hear it. I might just make a Paas Me By thread just to piss people off.

Oh god, you're right. All this time, it's been me personally preventing anyone from hearing the song. And to think that all these years I thought it was, you know, THE BAND who controls what songs get released and which don't. I'm so ashamed.

the_real_potomek
08-14-2012, 03:38 PM
It's just incredible how the Pass Me By legend expanded. The only thing we got to hear was a short video long time ago, and this seems to be the most desired song ever (not)made. If it weren't for frequently started threads about it, I probably wouldn't even remember about it:p It's quite funny to me.

Little_Miss_1565
08-14-2012, 03:46 PM
It's just incredible how the Pass Me By legend expanded. The only thing we got to hear was a short video long time ago, and this seems to be the most desired song ever (not)made. If it weren't for frequently started threads about it, I probably wouldn't even remember about it:p It's quite funny to me.

I'm guessing it's because this is one of the few songs left over at the end of recording. This doesn't seem to be a band that writes and records dozens of songs for an album. But I join you in not getting why it's still so hotly debated, what, 10 years later? It was recorded sometime around Americana, right? The Web Dude days?

TheJakes84
08-14-2012, 03:48 PM
The full version doesn't exist yet. That's what you're missing.

I shall have to ask the real source for the information - I've been curious about. Thank you, anyways.

chriiis
08-15-2012, 11:57 AM
That song never existed.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
08-16-2012, 07:15 AM
I heard it was reworked into Cruising California

samseby
08-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Amazing! Just wish other "songs" would get the same attention :p

findout5
08-16-2012, 07:54 AM
That is an unfinished song from the Splinter sessions, not Americana.
And unfinished is the correct form.

I also remember reading an interview on album number 6 where Dexter talked about tons of songs (like the ring of fire cover), and the description of a certain song (slow, spooky sounding, beefy rock guitars) doesn't match any song released on Spliter...SO...maybe it's that one. Maybe not...it was a long song (finished demo) that Dex didn't want to edit out....
And so I throw more wood to the fire...and the legend grows lol

Living in Chaos
08-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Can't we all just pass this song by?

Godxilla
08-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Oh god, you're right. All this time, it's been me personally preventing anyone from hearing the song. And to think that all these years I thought it was, you know, THE BAND who controls what songs get released and which don't. I'm so ashamed.

Laffin my fuckin @$$ off after this one. I'm sorry for insulting your authority, I had just thought that as fans, we could ask the band for new songs. Silly me. I mean, no posthumous albums or unfinished tracks EVER come out. Duh. What a fool I was. I should know better than to think that we can listen to an unfinished song. I just wasted everyone's time with that silly dream of a 2 year old.

OC HAU
08-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Imagination is a powerful thing. :D It has an epic, cool or scary potential, it could be something like Gone Away, Amazed, A Lot Like Me, Dirty Magic, Change the World or Defy You. I wouldn't underestimate those 25 seconds though. It's mofo Josh Freese on drums--it's like a heartbeat and as if time goes slowly. Plus, a beautiful guitar thing.

It's an unfinished although a 5 minute rock track with a cool title. Spooky sounding and beefy guitars. No vocals, no theme, probably some other things missing.

It's comparable to those who want Smash #2 or oldschool tracks like Dividing By Zero or Slim Pickens. There is a fight for songs in the community.

Dangers of technology and Pass Me By, hmmm, imagination strikes again. Or maybe a soundtrack like Defy You.

findout5
08-16-2012, 11:05 AM
That is an unfinished song from the Splinter sessions, not Americana.
And unfinished is the correct form.

I also remember reading an interview on album number 6 where Dexter talked about tons of songs (like the ring of fire cover), and the description of a certain song (slow, spooky sounding, beefy rock guitars) doesn't match any song released on Spliter...SO...maybe it's that one. Maybe not...it was a long song (finished demo) that Dex didn't want to edit out....
And so I throw more wood to the fire...and the legend grows lol

Well, I looked it up...it is Pass Me By they talked about! So...it got "finished" in it's demo stage (meaning...probably not recorded pro-style, but all parts written). Where the fuck is Dexter? He should enlighten us!

"Dexter: Yeah, it needs some lyrics and that is pretty much it. Maybe mess around with the drums a little bit. Have you heard this one?

(Plays new song)

Dexter: Kind of a slow rock song that kind of like... Well, I like it a lot. I've called it "Pass Me By". I don't know what it's going to be about. You got 5 minutes? (laughs)

Web Dude: Yeah, I want to check this one out. It sounds like "Denial, Revisited" a little. It's really hard rock with beefy guitars.

Dexter: It's kind of spooky. I like this lead part a lot. It's one of those songs where I've played it for people and they've said maybe you could shorten it or something but I kinda like it the way it is and I figure it's not necessarily gonna be on the radio and not all songs need to follow a real strict pop single format. And to a certain degree you've got to let a song write itself.

Web Dude: Yeah, there's no formula that you just plug stuff into, right?

Dexter: Not really, and it just seems like there are spots in that song where it just called for certain things. It's a 5 minute song, but I think that it's good the way it is.

Web Dude: That's cool. I like it the way it is.

Dexter: Yeah, that seemed like one you'd like.

Web Dude: Cuz I'm a rocker? "

Little_Miss_1565
08-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Laffin my fuckin @$$ off after this one. I'm sorry for insulting your authority, I had just thought that as fans, we could ask the band for new songs. Silly me. I mean, no posthumous albums or unfinished tracks EVER come out. Duh. What a fool I was. I should know better than to think that we can listen to an unfinished song. I just wasted everyone's time with that silly dream of a 2 year old.

...so why the fuck are you saying the "politburo" on this forum is what's standing in your way of hearing this song that the band has been hearing about repeatedly from fans since the video was posted online nearly 10 years ago and yet the band still hasn't released?

Tiny Vessels
08-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Can't we all get past the fact that this song is not out and move on? Seriously the arguing is annoying.

OC HAU
08-16-2012, 01:40 PM
And to a certain degree you've got to let a song write itself.

Yeah, 10 years is more than enough to change the strategy. :D

mat.kc.
08-16-2012, 03:30 PM
How is it that we can continuously talk about "Pass Me By" and completely disregard another unreleased song ("It's All Good")? :confused:

the_real_potomek
08-16-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm guessing it's because this is one of the few songs left over at the end of recording. This doesn't seem to be a band that writes and records dozens of songs for an album. But I join you in not getting why it's still so hotly debated, what, 10 years later? It was recorded sometime around Americana, right? The Web Dude days?

Was it really left over at the end of recording? I've always thought it was just a small part of a song, some kind of an idea that leaked too early and could have even turned into any song that actually got released.
And I think it wasn't 10 years ago, but it's been a long time anyway for sure. Like some people pointed out, there must be a lot of nearly finished songs that we'll never have a chance to listen to, so what's the big deal?

Skinny
08-16-2012, 08:14 PM
What's the big deal about people discussing a song? Don't tell me that those of you who are claiming to be uninterested in this song would let an opportunity to hear it pass them by (see what I did there, yeah you did.) because that's bullshit. There's a certain intrigue attached to it because it's one of the works in progress that we actually got a chance to hear and know about. I'm paraphrasing here but didn't the band say something along the lines of it "being too heavy for Splinter" and that's why it was left off? Sounds like a completed song to me, and definitely something that I'm interested in hearing in full length. I have a feeling that this forum would explode if the band confirmed that this song will be released. Here's a neat idea: leave the song off of the track listing on their next album and include it as a hidden track at the end. That'd be an epic easter egg for the die-hards.

BagOfShenanigans
08-17-2012, 07:49 AM
I think, for their very last record, they should ad in a secret bonus track explaining that Pass Me By, It's All Good, and all of the other unreleased tracks will never be released. At all. Ever.

KTILLA23
08-17-2012, 11:22 AM
I think, for their very last record, they should ad in a secret bonus track explaining that Pass Me By, It's All Good, and all of the other unreleased tracks will never be released. At all. Ever.

Agreed!

Godxilla
08-17-2012, 05:33 PM
...so why the fuck are you saying the "politburo" on this forum is what's standing in your way of hearing this song that the band has been hearing about repeatedly from fans since the video was posted online nearly 10 years ago and yet the band still hasn't released?

"I wanna hear PMB"
"fuck yerself. I've heard it. It sounds odd. Never released. Get over it."
"But I've never heard it."
"Well, I have. It's only 20 seconds. Nothing special. And it was never released. So get over it."
"But I just wanna talk about it!"
"There are too many PMB threads here"
"But this is MY thread. For ME."
"There. Just tagged it as 'just another PMB thread'. Now you're just a fool who was obsessed with PMB. This is why I'm better than you; I'm over this shit."
"And all I wanted to do was discuss PMB..."

Little_Miss_1565
08-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Way to be overdramatic about it.

You don't get to create a new thread for things that have been discussed to the full extent they can possibly be discussed just because you personally may not have had a thread for it before. I'm not sure where to find the video anymore since it's not on Offspring.com or YouTube, but someone on here somewhere has to have it, though I haven't seen anyone post it ever. The other problem is that the endless discussing and speculating leads to crazy expectations that have no basis in anything the band has done, so if they ever did decide to release it, it would inevitably be a giant failure. I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE GREATEST OFFSPRING SONG EVER RECORDED WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS, etc.

I also never said the song sucks. I, like everyone else, really liked what I heard. But if they haven't released it yet, chances are good they won't release it.

TheJakes84
08-18-2012, 06:32 PM
That song is not gonna be put out any time soon. Unless, it will be on the next album somewhere in 2021.

TheOldMark
08-19-2012, 06:07 AM
I dont understand the obsession with this song. The band has dozens of songs theyve written and recorded that will likely never be released. You have the name of a song and you badly want to hear it. Its probably not going to happen. Just like, whats the other one? "We dont have sex anymore" ? omg, i cant wait to hear it.

dff_punk
08-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Everytime someone mentions "We Don't Have Sex Anymore", I hum it with this melody:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PejRxCgKaoM

Chainsaw
08-19-2012, 07:36 AM
It's just that people have heard 30 seconds or so of a song that presumably is Pass me by. There haven't been any samples of the other ones.

OC HAU
08-19-2012, 08:28 AM
1. The band's output is limited. It's just not enough for me, 40 minutes per 4 years.

2. I noticed that some people think they are overproducing it. They make it quite neat and for the radio. I'm not one of those who have an attention deficit and I love to get lost on 60 minute records with semi-intentional mistakes. I think that bonus tracks could balance it out and make people more satisfied. Some of my favorite bands released around 18 tracks on an album.

I guess most fans are not so extraordinary, but there's still a lot of it if it creates such controversy. One could argue about quality over quantity, but what the hell, it's just bonus tracks. The other problem is spoiling the next record if they wanted to rework some stuff, but it's funny that only AIHLIU made it from 24 RFRG demos.

---

A. It's important to say that we've heard a bit of it and some people really liked it. (Even if it was reworked into something else I still want to hear its demo and it still could be reworked into something else if it's demanded, it's not like Dirty Magic and How You Ever are not somehow similar. Exclusion of those 25 seconds would be a blasphemy.)

B. Not 10 years? Well, it's from Splinter era, not sure when making of Splinter video got released. Also, Noodles talked about a great demo, but it's from CO1. They looked into as far as CO1 demos when making the last album. I'm sure there are some interesting tracks along the way, but probably not too much, Ring of Fire? or It's All Good? RFRG is an exception, but who knows how many of them are mostly finished.

C. Never hear them? B-side collection is a possibility.

D. I see that PMB could crumble easily, but there are options to limit a possible damage. I sure wouldn't want to hear another Denial, Revisited, Fix You or AIHLIU. It must be somehow special, cool, epic and scary and not overproduced.

OC HAU
08-19-2012, 09:07 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Jerome_in_the_Wilderness

Have you guys seen da Vinci's unfinished painting? It's terrific, unfinished.

Godxilla
08-19-2012, 03:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Jerome_in_the_Wilderness

Have you guys seen da Vinci's unfinished painting? It's terrific, unfinished.

Ooh, nice analogy.

And I DO want to hear another Denial Revisited. It was a frickin awesome song, and this is coming from a guy who would listen to breaking ben all day. It was a good track. AIHLIY was a disgusting attempt to parody it, and like most parodies of that kind, it failed.