PDA

View Full Version : "Pussy Riot" Punk Rock Band Case

Powerh
08-18-2012, 12:51 PM
What does Offspring think about "Pussy Riot" been in jail just for a rock song ?
I think it's important to defend Punk Rock and free expression in Russia right ?

Free Pussy Riot !
http://freepussyriot.org/

Llamas
08-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Simply phrasing it so that you're asking Offspring's opinion doesn't make this on-topic... definitely belongs in GC, not here.

Anyway, it's a huge load of bullshit that they were imprisoned, but it has nothing to do with protecting punk rock... that's silly. And Russia doesn't have the free speech laws the US does, so there's no freedom of expression to protect at this point. Hopefully this legion of support they've got will lead to some changes in human rights in Russia, though.

Also, despite the fact that it's super shitty for them that they're in prison right now, this is gonna make them famous, which is awesome for them. Hopefully they'll get out of prison before two years is up, but either way, when they get out, this is gonna lead to some great stuff for them. Which is awesome. I don't like their music, but I like that they're standing up for what they believe in.

Tijs
08-18-2012, 01:34 PM
It's not just about the rock song or its message, or is it? Didn't they quite rudely and offensively interrupt a mass in a church, kind of flash mobbed the whole thing in a threatening way (and with quite the crappy music).

I do believe they should be punished in some way. Not 2 years or anything, but community service or a fine.

Llamas
08-18-2012, 02:01 PM
They should've been fined - absolutely. But jailing them is just the Russian govt's way of throwing down their fists against people speaking out against them.

jacknife737
08-18-2012, 03:40 PM
The whole thing is fucking tragic. Putin is just helping to cement Russians descent into authoritarianism.

It's been interesting to read up on punk scenes in countries outside of north America/the uk and how they face crackdown from their governments. Another similar case recently invoked Indonesia police rounding up teenage punks and shaving their hair.

It's not just about the rock song or its message, or is it? Didn't they quite rudely and offensively interrupt a mass in a church, kind of flash mobbed the whole thing in a threatening way (and with quite the crappy music).

I do believe they should be punished in some way. Not 2 years or anything, but community service or a fine.

The reason they were forced to go through this horrific show trial really had nothing to do with blasphemy, it's another attempt by Putin to squash all forms of public criticism against his regime. His government wouldnt be okay in facing all this international outcry over the trial if the issue was really about a couple elderly church goers getting upset.

Oxygene
08-18-2012, 03:56 PM
There was no mass in the church or anyone aside from the "staff"
they were completley silent while taping and added the music post production
they arekids...

Alien Invader
08-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Russia doesn't have the free speech laws the US does, so there's no freedom of expression to protect at this point.

To my knowledge, those laws were introduced after the dissolution of the Soviet Union, but it is very easy for the government to pretend they don't exist when most of the population was raised in Soviet ways.

Godxilla
08-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Russia's first article of the Constitution states that Russians may assemble peacefully. That being said, I guess this is not so peaceful. And there was no free speech in Russia to begin with, so they DID break a law. But as MLK once quoted, "an unjust law is not a law at all". But Pussy Riot themselves seem okay for now. One of them was quoted in the Boston Globe as saying "we are happy now because the Revolution is closer!"

I say free them. They really were only arrested because they disagreed with Putin. Who is of course a terror-inducing madman who hoards power like doomsdayers hoard canned goods. So they must have been right.

Harleyquiiinn
08-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Of course there is freedom of expression in Russia ... I don't know about the national law although I would be very surprised there is nothing in the constitution but in any case, Russia is a member of the Council of Europe. As such Russia must apply the European convention of human rights that.guarantees freedom of expression... Of course, as any law, it is only theoritical if the judiciary doesn't have the power to enforce it...

OC HAU
08-18-2012, 05:50 PM

And how would you punish Mr. Putin?