PDA

View Full Version : A little thankyou

Phobophilia
08-20-2012, 10:10 PM
I've been a fan of The Offspring ever since I first heard Smash as a zit-faced, socially awkward high-schooler. Through every stage of my life since then, you're a band who has always managed to speak to me in whatever way was most meaningful and relevant to me at the time. Every Offspring album has become part of the soundtrack to my life (as awful as that cliche is!).

Late last year my wife and I lost a baby. She would have been our first and she was stillborn due to a rare and untreatable condition.

Another of my favourite lyricists wrote "Like whistling when dark descends, a song can be your friend." And at that darkest time in my life, that was true of your music, which helped to drag me through. As unrelated as its topic might be, I found enough solace and unexpected relevance in the chorus of "Fix You" that I read those words aloud at my daughter's funeral as part of the eulogy.

And listening to your latest album, I've also found comfort in "Days Go By". That message of all things coming to pass, of anger, hate and loss eventually blowing away, has been an incredibly valuable thing for me to hear as my wife and I continue to deal with the sadness of our loss. It has become something I can recite to myself when I feel a need.

Your music has always reached me, always touched me and always meant something to me, and it continues to do so. After my traumatic last few months, I can't express how much your music has played a part in helping me to make it through, either through inspiring words in the uplifting songs, or through the cathartic effect of shared pain in the more tortured ones. Your music has been my friend.

Thankyou.

Tim Martain.

TheJakes84
08-20-2012, 10:59 PM
I've been a fan of The Offspring ever since I first heard Smash as a zit-faced, socially awkward high-schooler. Through every stage of my life since then, you're a band who has always managed to speak to me in whatever way was most meaningful and relevant to me at the time. Every Offspring album has become part of the soundtrack to my life (as awful as that cliche is!).

Late last year my wife and I lost a baby. She would have been our first and she was stillborn due to a rare and untreatable condition.

Another of my favourite lyricists wrote "Like whistling when dark descends, a song can be your friend." And at that darkest time in my life, that was true of your music, which helped to drag me through. As unrelated as its topic might be, I found enough solace and unexpected relevance in the chorus of "Fix You" that I read those words aloud at my daughter's funeral as part of the eulogy.

And listening to your latest album, I've also found comfort in "Days Go By". That message of all things coming to pass, of anger, hate and loss eventually blowing away, has been an incredibly valuable thing for me to hear as my wife and I continue to deal with the sadness of our loss. It has become something I can recite to myself when I feel a need.

Your music has always reached me, always touched me and always meant something to me, and it continues to do so. After my traumatic last few months, I can't express how much your music has played a part in helping me to make it through, either through inspiring words in the uplifting songs, or through the cathartic effect of shared pain in the more tortured ones. Your music has been my friend.

Thankyou.

Tim Martain.

Dear Tim M,

I am sincerely; truely, honestly sorry to hear what had happened to your child. In another life, you will see her again. Trus me, I know I will see my mommy again.

Here is my real story:

Recently, I've lost my mother to Heart Disease last year. Currently, my life has been one miserable roller coaster disaterous. The Offspring music (especially: Gone Away - Fix You & All I Have Left Is You) has helped me get through the passing of my mom. Gladly, the lyrics is what speaks to me and it reassures me that I'm stronger and wiser than ever before. I was a troublemaker kid (back in my old school days). Now, as in adult - finally got to understand what my parents were telling me about life. The past is over. The present time is to enjoy it while it is lasting in shorten time. The future? I don't know, only God knows it all. Yes, I do believe in Jesus Christ.

My status is to take care of my father. My daddy means everything to me and family. Dad will eventually move on and re-married and so I will to - as well as for my brothers.

Thank you for sharing your real story. Take care.

Love,
Dulce Maria E.C.

Phobophilia
08-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Dear Tim M,

I am sincerely; truely, honestly sorry to hear what had happened to your child. In another life, you will see her again. Trus me, I know I will see my mommy again.

Here is my real story:

Recently, I've lost my mother to Heart Disease last year. Currently, my life has been one miserable roller coaster disaterous. The Offspring music (especially: Gone Away - Fix You & All I Have Left Is You) has helped me get through the passing of my mom. Gladly, the lyrics is what speaks to me and it reassures me that I'm stronger and wiser than ever before. I was a troublemaker kid (back in my old school days). Now, as in adult - finally got to understand what my parents were telling me about life. The past is over. The present time is to enjoy it while it is lasting in shorten time. The future? I don't know, only God knows it all. Yes, I do believe in Jesus Christ.

My status is to take care of my father. My daddy means everything to me and family. Dad will eventually move on and re-married and so I will to - as well as for my brothers.

Thank you for sharing your real story. Take care.

Love,
Dulce Maria E.C.

"All I Have Left Is You" and "Gone Away" always make me cry as well, yes. It's amazing how much the right music can speak to you when you need it most, isn't it? :) Thankyou for sharing, too.

Some girls go to a song's internal world
When things aren't good at home.
Some boys will play that noise,
cause it tells them they're not alone

Who cares if it goes to your feet,
To your heart or your head,
Like whistling when dark descends,
a song can be your friend.
-Damian Cowell

TheJakes84
08-21-2012, 12:11 AM
"All I Have Left Is You" and "Gone Away" always make me cry as well, yes. It's amazing how much the right music can speak to you when you need it most, isn't it? :) Thankyou for sharing, too.

Some girls go to a song's internal world
When things aren't good at home.
Some boys will play that noise,
cause it tells them they're not alone

Who cares if it goes to your feet,
To your heart or your head,
Like whistling when dark descends,
a song can be your friend.
-Damian Cowell

Aw, that was touching and inspiring. That is very accurate, and as for Days Go By it absolutely cheers me up to feel emotionally balanced. Therefore, working to help others in need. However, wanting to study to earn a decent Ph.D. Like the fact that I'm single and loving it! Thanks to the Heaven's upon Earth, I seek in the comfort of my Guardian Angels. You are so welcome :)

sneedo83
08-21-2012, 02:16 PM
I really hope Dexter gets to read this thread.