PDA

View Full Version : Ok..I need a new cel phone. And I need help.

MOTO13
08-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Are there any uber nerds on this site that know what's what with cel phones? I have US Cel and want something with i-net and fairly easy to use. Are there certain brands/models to simply avoid? Basically I am a fucking idiot with this stuff and humble myself to your knowledge. Please don't tell me to go screw myself as you can leave that for my other posts...thank you.

Little_Miss_1565
08-22-2012, 10:32 AM
What's your mobile carrier?

Tiny Vessels
08-22-2012, 10:32 AM
LMFAO omg wow I can't stop laughing. Thanks I needed a really good laugh. But all serious now I have US Cellular too and I know that most phones you can get the internet without going all out on a smartphone.Right now I have the Samsung Messager Touch which isnt a smartphone but I can get the internet on it. I am tho going to upgrade to the Samsung GalaxyS3. Which knowing you is going to be way too high tech. Maybe your best bet is to go there and find what you're looking for and have someone answer all your questions.

MOTO13
08-22-2012, 10:48 AM
I have US Cellular. Ok...what is a smartphone? Is that different than a phone with internet? Fkn a...I am so screwed.

Tiny Vessels
08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
A smartphone does everything (the I-phone is a smartphone which I'm pretty sure you know what that is). GPS, internet, apps/games, some you watch tv/movies on. Yes it is dfferent than a phone that just has internet. Hey you're on the computer now so why not do a little research?

MOTO13
08-22-2012, 11:03 AM
I am looking for real world advice. I think I like the idea of a smartphone with apps etc...

_Lost_
08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Smart phones have a lot more capabilities than regular phones. Some non-smartphones can surf the internet a little, but if you plan on using it much, smart phones connect faster and have less site compatibility issues since a lot of the newer phones are flash compatible. Not to mention, smartphones do well with wifi connections. Its like having a tiny computer in your pocket. Me and my family have had a lot of luck with the LG smart phones. You don't have to get something super expensive like the HTC Evo phones or iPhone, to get a lot of the features that make smart phones so awesome. Right now I have an LG Optimus Elite. I had an earlier version of the same line, the Optimus V. Both good phones, the newer one is just faster and flash compatible. My mom has the Optimus slider and she really likes that one. Smart phones are getting harder and harder to find with a keyboard, unfortunately.

Little_Miss_1565
08-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Get one of the Samsung Galaxy phones here: http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/cell-phones/showPhones.jsp?type=phones&phone-selector-category=phone-selector-android&_requestid=66003

WeAreOne9
08-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Get one of the Samsung Galaxy phones here: http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/cell-phones/showPhones.jsp?type=phones&phone-selector-category=phone-selector-android&_requestid=66003

I agree, I have samsung nexus and so far I like it. I've had it for a year and it appears to be doing fine. The battery life sucks but I hear this is with all smart phones.

Little_Miss_1565
08-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I have a Samsung Charge, and the battery life is about 3 hours if I run it on the 4G LTE network the whole time. I have it set up so I can switch to wifi as much as possible, or just turn off the mobile internet altogether when I'm out and not using it. So far, I haven't had many battery crises when I'm out, though I also carry charge cords with me everywhere just in case.

MOTO13
08-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I decided to get a smartphone so I can do app's and such and feel like I'm the 21st century for once. I do like the looks of the galaxy and it appears to be a pretty dependable phone. At least I'll have internet if I want it. Probably one of the few people on the planet w/o internet at home.

Tiny Vessels
08-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Sounds like we're looking at getting the same phone.

MOTO13
08-22-2012, 01:38 PM
That's reassuring...maybe I'll keep looking after all.

Tiny Vessels
08-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Aww come on it would be cool if we got the same phone. You know it.

MOTO13
08-22-2012, 02:00 PM
I feel like shoving my head in a bear trap.

Tiny Vessels
08-22-2012, 02:22 PM
You're silly Moto

Little_Miss_1565
08-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Asks for cell phone recommendations, rejects them once received.

MOTO13
08-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Asks for cell phone recommendations, rejects them once received.

No No...uh uh...wrong. How did I reject the rec's??? I do appreciate all who gave me advice very much. I am going to look at them all this weekend and get my phone then. Should I give you a call when I get my new phone?

T-6005
08-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Figure out your needs and buy accordingly.

And be honest with yourself - are you likely to lose your phone? Have you lost your phone before? Because if you lose them you're out a $600 device and stuck on a contract. If you would rather avoid that hassle then get a cheaper phone with less capability.

Personally, I have an HTC Incredible S. I love it, and I prefer HTC's four-button toolbar to Samsung's 3 buttons, but that all comes down to preference.

If you want phones that are versatile and customizable, get an Android device. People's advice has been pretty good on that. However, if you don't know much about smartphones and are afraid of the learning curve (there isn't much of one for most people, but everyone's different) then you're better off going with an iPhone. It works just like an iPod for the most part, so the transition is minimal, Apple's policies regarding warranties and replacements are way more flexible than everyone else's, and it's almost impossible to fuck your phone up through making a stupid mistake (well, less possible than on Android devices I'm afraid). iPhones are also almost always going to be offered with the same plans as Android devices, so you're not losing anything there.

Little_Miss_1565
08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Unfortch iPhones aren't offered by his mobile carrier.

Harleyquiiinn
08-23-2012, 02:33 AM
I am with llamas on this one. I used to have an Iphone and had the opportunity to try a HTC One S for a while. Well... I kept the HTC One S.

It's fast, the screen is bigger, and Android is great. Also, it's beautiful and thin.

Llamas
08-23-2012, 03:05 AM
I am with llamas on this one. I used to have an Iphone and had the opportunity to try a HTC One S for a while. Well... I kept the HTC One S.

It's fast, the screen is bigger, and Android is great. Also, it's beautiful and thin.

I'm pretty sure this is the second thread where you've confused Lost and me recently... haha

Harleyquiiinn
08-23-2012, 03:49 AM
Ah ah I'm sorry :D

That's because you changed your name. It confuses me :(

What was the second thread ?

Edit : No, I have confused you with T-6005 in this thread. How weird...

jacknife737
08-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I'd highly recommend getting an Android phone: either the S2 or the S3. They've been the best phones i've ever owned: they're incredibly customizable, and their app selection is quite significant.

MOTO13
08-24-2012, 06:18 AM
I think that is what I am going with. Pick it up today hopefully if I have the time. Thanks for all the advice.

Tiny Vessels
08-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I just got the Samsung Galaxy S3! I love it, it's so awesome.

MOTO13
08-29-2012, 02:31 PM
They don't even give you a friggin owners manual with new phones any longer? This is crazy.

Little_Miss_1565
08-29-2012, 02:32 PM
You can probably find one on Google.

MOTO13
08-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Oh..thanks. Is there a reason they stopped this? The give you directions on how to open a box of cereal. But a smart phone...not so much.

Tiny Vessels
08-29-2012, 03:06 PM
They don't even give you a friggin owners manual with new phones any longer? This is crazy.

They still do that. It probably is burried at the bottom of the box. That's where mine was at.

If you need some help, I'll help you figure it out. :)

MOTO13
08-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Sounds good. Is the phone always on 3g? That's what it says at the top of the phone? Do you always have this..meaning the phone is always on 3g or 4 g mode? Also, if I leave the phone so I can access my email, does this chew up any phone gig memory bytes shit etc...? Is this bad?

Tiny Vessels
08-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Sounds good. Is the phone always on 3g? That's what it says at the top of the phone? Do you always have this..meaning the phone is always on 3g or 4 g mode?

If it says that you're in 3gthen the wifi is in a 3g area but once you move or the wifi serivce changes or whatever it probably willl go up to 4g. It all depends on where you are and the wifi service.

Tiny Vessels
08-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Also, if I leave the phone so I can access my email, does this chew up any phone gig memory bytes shit etc...? Is this bad?

Um when I got mine the lady said that whenever you'e done using it (whatever website you're on) always hit the back botton on it. I really don't know why. When I use Facebook/this site/my e-mail I'm auto signed in. Meaning I type in the website and I'm on. But I always hit that back botton cause if you don't it might use up your data plan bytes.But I do know whatever apps you're not using close them out so it doesn't kill your battery fast.

What phone did you get?

Little_Miss_1565
08-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Yes, if you leave the phone on 3G or 4G it will eat your battery life and use up your data MBs. Switch to Wi-Fi whenever you can to save power and save MBs out of your data plan.

MOTO13
08-29-2012, 04:11 PM
I got the samsung gal s3, white. Nice phone...I wish I could answer the thing. Already missed two calls. I feel like such a dipshit with this thing and I have used it a total of 32 seconds. I mean...I couldn't figure out how to answer the phone on the way home from US Cell...uhhhhhhhh.

Tiny Vessels
08-29-2012, 04:14 PM
I got the samsung gal s3, white. Nice phone...I wish I could answer the thing. Already missed two calls. I feel like such a dipshit with this thing and I have used it a total of 32 seconds. I mean...I couldn't figure out how to answer the phone on the way home from US Cell...uhhhhhhhh.

Main scree, touch the green phone, go to recent, and it will tell you the missed calls

Tiny Vessels
08-29-2012, 04:21 PM
To text you hit the messaging button, and on top of the messaging screen is a pentoching paper and you hit that and hit the button next to the box saying enter recipient and you click what person you want to text then you type the message and hit the button that has the enevople with arror.