PDA

View Full Version : Soundgarden: King Animal

Rooster
08-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Finally a new album, the release date is 13th november, and judging from this preview that's a bit too far away :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZbYRIJIm4w&feature=plcp

Sounds exactly like how they've been saying it would: weird and very Down on the Upside-ish. Sounds like they picked up exactly where they left rather than a rehash of something old, but it's still classic Soundgarden. It probably won't reach the heights of Badmotorfinger and Superunknown, but I like the experimental side of the band and my expectations have just gotten higher...

Tiny Vessels
08-23-2012, 01:47 PM
It only took them 16 years to make another cd. I have to say I'm kinda happy they are going to release a new one.

Outerspaceman21
08-23-2012, 04:58 PM
sounds tight. I didn't care much for Live to Rise when I first heard it (it grew on me though, what with seeing Avengers a bunch). Definitely looking forward to this.

Eskimo
08-24-2012, 03:45 AM
Live To Rise was totally average and blahh, but I guess it got the job done. I like it more on a "fits well with the movie and the credits" vibe than liking the actual song. Hope the album's, you know, actually good.

cool 2 hate 681
08-24-2012, 01:58 PM
they delayed offspring's performance at kroq weenie roast and didn't even play black hole sun :mad:

Rooster
09-17-2012, 10:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkecIBT7hME

Tracklist:

1. "Been Away Too Long"
2. "Non-State Actor"
3. "By Crooked Steps"
4. "A Thousand Days Before"
5. "Blood On The Valley Floor"
6. "Bones of Birds"
7. "Taree"
8. "Attrition"
9. "Black Saturday"
10. "Halfway There"
11. "Worse Dreams"
12. "Eyelid's Mouth"
13. "Rowing"

The music in the trailer sounds totally sick. They weren't lying when they said the album is going to be weird and experimental, and I hope this goes for the rest of the tracks also. My expectations just got a hell of a lot higher. Holy shit :eek:

And to those who didn't like Live to Rise... Do you notice anything? :p

Outerspaceman21
09-17-2012, 05:56 PM
That music, plus that album art, reminds me of Mastodon in a good way. Can't wait to hear this album.

OC HAU
09-17-2012, 06:41 PM
won't you come

and wash away the rain

The trailer is kinda impressive. Never really got into them. I remember Black Hole Sun, Audioslave song and I checked his solo albums out...strange :confused:

Rooster
09-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Well, I'd deffinitely check Superunknown and Badmotorfinger first, if I were you. It depends on what you prefer; if you like heavier music I'd start with Badmotorfinger, if you fancy something a bit more experimental and diverse go with Superunknown, which is probably my favorite Soundgarden record as of now. Down on the Upside is good too, but somewhat less consistent, and weirder than Superunknown. From what we've heard so far, King Animal could be even weirder and more experimental. I absolutely love the eerie atmosphere of the artwork and music in this trailer.

The first single from the album, Been Away Too Long, premieres tomorrow apparently. Dammit, I want it now! I want something to get me through these two remaining months until the album's release, hopefully the single would suffice. I'd like to wait for the first time listen of the album when I get the actual CD, it'll be out just about a week before my birthday, so it would be a perfect present. Just spin it in my car for the first time and have a trippy ride home would be perfect. BUT judging from my past experiences, every single time I wanted to wait to get the CD before listening, I failed and downloaded the leak as soon as it got out. So I expect this to happen again :D

Super stoked about this.

Rooster
09-26-2012, 02:19 PM
There was some confusion last week, but now the song can be found online. Google is your friend :)

First impressions: deffinitely a Soundgarden song, although it doesn't sound like anything they've done before. It's kinda punky, fast paced song, perhaps it could even be described as poppy, but bear with me here - it's nothing like Live to Rise. It's probably one of the easier songs from the album, and as an album opener it'll do just fine :)

Of course Cornell is nowhere near his Badmotorfinger days, but anyone who is expecting him to sound like that after all these years is just kidding him or herself. He sounds just fine, a bit raspy, but does a good job, and I have absolutely nothing against hearing a full album of it. But there's one person who absolutely kills on this song, and that's Matt Cameron. Fuck yeah! Guitars also bring just the right ammount of agression, and Shepherd's bass lines are easilly heard over the rest, the mixing is good.

Anyway, a very, very welcome return! And a great choice for the first single, I might add :)

cool 2 hate 681
09-26-2012, 02:58 PM
wow a lot of the old post on this thread were deleted

Rooster
09-28-2012, 01:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0A71tITqe0

After a few more listens the song became a bit boring. It's not that there's anything particulary wrong with it, it's just not "weird" enough for a Soundgarden song. But I can deffinitely see how this could be a popular single, so good choice. And in the context of the album this song could work well, it's good as an opening track.

The song descriptions and the first review of the album that I found (and also the trailer) are hinting thet there are more experimental tracks to be found on it, so my expectations are still high. It's Soundgarden after all, experimenting has always been their strong point.

So this song is good, not greeat, there's probably much better material on King Animal :)

cool 2 hate 681
09-28-2012, 02:34 AM
kroq and 987 fm played the song a lot today it's ok i guess

Rooster
10-15-2012, 02:49 PM
A snippet of the track By Crooked steps can be heard, along with the commentary on the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JMtQcftd3U&feature=youtu.be

Classic Soundgarden. Nothing more needs to be said.

This is gonna rule. HARD.

Rooster
10-24-2012, 04:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caKJw223pu4

Mother of God :eek:

Rooster
11-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Short clips of the songs are coming almost every day, along with a whole new song Non-State Actor that as been released. And from what I heard so far, there's really gonna be some amazing stuff on the new album. Blood on the Valley Floor sounds freaking fantastic, heavy and sludgy! Taree also sounds like it could be a brilliant song (and apparently it was written before the band broke up), and so do many others.

This album is not gonna disappoint :)

Seriously, holy fucking shitballs! This sounds like it could easilly have been on Superunknown, reminds me of Mailman, but it would also fit really well on Badmotorfinger. And Cornell sounds amazing in this clip (not the same as 20 years ago of course, but holy fuck)!

http://www.universal-music.de/soundgarden/videos/detail/video:285289/webisode-4-blood-on-the-valley-floor

Rooster
11-03-2012, 05:51 AM
30 second snippets of the songs: http://www.amazon.fr/gp/recsradio/radio/B009AZZEU2/ref=pd_krex_dp_001_013?ie=UTF8&disc=001&track=013

Deffinitely a diverse album, which I like. Of course we still need to hear the whole thing, but from these snippets I think I'm gonna like this album more than Down on the Upside.

It sounds like a Soundgarden album, but it's different than their previous efforts.

Rooster
11-05-2012, 02:21 PM
This is it guys, the album is streaming. Well, at least first 5 songs are so far, I think the rest will follow shortly. By Crooked Steps, A Thousand Days Before and Blood on the Valley Floor are just unbelievable, this is pure fucking Soundgarden!

http://www.dr.dk/p3/programmer/smag-paa-p3/2012/11/05/eksklusiv-snigpremiere-hor-de-fem-forste-numre-fra-soundgardens-nye-album?clip=been-away-too-long#clip14779

Outerspaceman21
11-05-2012, 03:15 PM
I really want to listen to it, but i want to wait until I can hear the entire album. That, and I'm in the middle of writing an essay :/

Rooster
11-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Don't worry, we're probably gonna here the whole album today, as it's streaming on iTunes, so it's only a matter of hours or maybe even minutes before a rip appears somewhere :)

Hoping you din't have much trouble with your essay ;)

Edit: yep, it leaked. I'm currently on the song 7, and so far all the expectations have been surpassed. Seriously, this is a great album. Just the perfect balance between heaviness and experimental bits if you ask me. And grungy, oh yes!

Edit2: Holy shit, this is fantastic! The weakest 2 tracks on this album are Been Away Too Long and Halfway There, and even these two are good songs. Good, just not brilliant, but I expect them to grow on me. Halfway There is a bit poppy, but I'm actually starting to like it. Other than these two, the rest of the songs are brilliant. Tons of diversity, plenty of weird moments and also heaviness. This IS better than Down on the Upside. Jesus, what a comeback!

Edit3: After a few more listens it might not be better than Down on the Upside (I just re-discovered that album and liked it a hell of a lot more than before), but that said it's not of any lesser quality either. King Animal is a great album in its own right, and deffinitely feels like a natural progression. It's deffinitely too early to properly rank it.

Rooster
11-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Just bought my copy of the album. It was the only copy they had in the store I went to, and it's just a regular version of the album, but I'm happy with that for 2 reasons:

1. Regular version comes in a standard plastic case, Deluxe version with bonus demo tracks comes as a digipack (I prefer regular plastic cases)
2. I think having 4 demo songs after the final song on the album kinda ruins the point of Rowing being the closing track. And I can download the demos anyway, so no big deal.

Artwork is amazing in my opinion. As a whole, the album doesn't disappoint. Sure, it's no Superunknown or Badmotorfinger, but it's a pretty damn fine album. Flows very well, but while some songs click immediately it takes more than a few listens to digest everything that's going on. It's a grower for sure.

jsmak84
11-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I LOVE KING Animal!!!!

Outerspaceman21
11-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Finally downloaded it, just got through the first listen and I LOVE IT!!! :) I think my personal favorite of the album so far is Halfway There.

Rooster
11-15-2012, 02:03 AM
I've probably listened to this album to the point of overplaying it already. But it still doesn't sound any less interesting. Here's my attempt at reviewing it (I tried to review album as a whole rather than focus on the individual tracks):

Sixteen long years have passed since the last Soundgarden album. And things have completely changed in that time. Or have they?

I’ve been waiting for this album ever since the band announced their reunion on 1st January, 2012: "The 12-year break is over and school is back in session. Sign up now. Knights of the Soundtable ride again!" To be honest I could actually smell it happen even a few months before the announcement, I knew they’d be back the moment I read about all four band members appearing together at a Pearl Jam Concert. Anyway, I pop the CD into my stereo, press play and the first track comes up. Been Away Too Long doesn’t sound like a typical Soundgarden song, but it’s catchy and energetic and does a good job at opening the album. As the album progresses though it becomes more and more apparent that King Animal is a Soundgarden album through and through. It contains all the signature elements of the band – odd time signatures that still somehow manage to sound completely natural, kickass drumming from Matt Cameron, who finally sounds at home again, heavy Kim Thayil riffs (and an occasional eastern influence or two, listen to A Thousand Days Before and see what I mean), great bass lines from Ben Shepherd and of course Cornell’s brooding vocals. While he can’t quite reach the notes he once used to hit with ease, his raspier and more mid-range vocal style works perfect for this kind of album.

Songwriting on King Animal is absolutely top notch. There’s a lot of diversity and weird Soundgarden moments, although the band does not dwell into the weirdness too much. But they still take you to different places and through different moods, which combined create an atmosphere that goes hand in hand with the album’s artwork – it’s dark, creepy and heavy, with signs of light every now and then, but even that light feels rather cold. The production is also perfect, it is polished but still raw and natural sounding.

So, was the wait worth it? Well, that depends. If you were hoping for Badmotorfinger part II, then no. King Animal is not a rehash of the band’s previous material, it is not a return to form or a reunion album. No, King Animal is the band picking up right where they left off with Down on the Upside, it is the band continuing to row onwards. “I don’t know where I’m going, I just keep on rowing”, Cornell sings on the album’s closing track, a perfect bluesy adventure which ends in a storm of wailing vocals and guitar wizardry. But if this album is any sign, wherever he and the rest of Soundgarden may be rowing to, it is the right direction.

I had high hopes for this, but it still exceeded my expectations. And yes, now I can say I like it better than Down on the Upside for sure, this is more consistant. It feels like the band never went away, as it really doesn't feel like a reunion album.

My favorite songs: A Thousand Days Before, Blood on the Valley Floor, Bones of Birds, Taree, Black Saturday, Eyelid’s Mouth, Rowing. There is no song that could be called filler on here and it’s hard to choose favorites, but these are my picks.

Score: 4.5/5

Eskimo
11-16-2012, 03:39 AM
For some reason I'm really not digging this. :(

I like Soundgarden a lot, too.

Rooster
11-16-2012, 07:49 AM
I'd say give the album another shot or two, I think it's worth it. Perhaps listening Down on the Upside before listening to this album would be helpful.

Are you more into heavy or experimental side of Soundgarden?