PDA

View Full Version : What do u think of total immortal

DEXJR
02-15-2005, 01:22 PM
They did it way better then AFI :D

vintagepunkrock7
02-16-2005, 03:03 PM
never heard AFI's version, never really listened to them, but i think the offspring's version is good, i like it. :)

nickspring-82
02-16-2005, 03:07 PM
it does suit offspring singing a little more yes, that is why dexter was into it, but the AFI is still kewl version

Revolver-2005?
02-16-2005, 03:09 PM
both ver. are good, but it does suit Dexters voice more than AFI's singer

nickspring-82
02-16-2005, 03:18 PM
That was an EP version from AFI, when bands make it to labels they get vocal coaches , im sure he does it better these days, i find it odd that the song by offspring is on Me Myself Irene soundtrack, kinda random in my view

GBH2
02-16-2005, 03:28 PM
the afi one sucks, because of the vocals.

Moose
02-16-2005, 04:15 PM
they are both good, but the offspring one is better, probably just because at that time they had more musical skills than afi and knew where the song could be better, somehow they managed to make the song more powerful than afi's version. but both are good.

Anya82
02-16-2005, 04:18 PM
I like both versions... both bands play it cool!!!

but
Dexter's voice is superior!!! Dexter's voice is... just.. amazing.

Isolated Fury
02-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Before "Sing the Sorrow", AFI was the greatest of punk bands. I don't think any of you realize just exactly you're saying. I understand that, yes, The Offspring is good. However, they have also, in my own opinion, declined in quality after "Conspiracy of One" and are still doing so. A song is never performed better than the original artist.

nickspring-82
02-17-2005, 02:53 AM
i once again go back to my money factor stance......AFI did that as a EP, a demo, they had jack shit funding for it....thats the only reason it doesnt sound as accomplished as a song like leaving song pt 2...for e.g :D

and isloated fury....i wouldnt call it decline in quality, i would call it not exceeding our expectations or exploring our loves about the band, i think they are aiming at new fans myself

BuddyHolly
02-17-2005, 04:16 AM
i like offsprings version much more

Macko
02-17-2005, 05:44 AM
The Offspring play it better.

IdleOffspring
02-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Great song from AFI and love the cover by The Offspring!!!
It doesn't matter which song they cover they always do it better :D
they are the best band in the world, but you already know that!

Anya82
02-18-2005, 12:07 PM
yes, The Offspring is good. However, they have also, in my own opinion, declined in quality after "Conspiracy of One" and are still doing so. A song is never performed better than the original artist.

I don't think they have "declined in quality", but I admit, that i found a huge change in the sound between Ixnay and Americana... I like their "old sound" the better.

and.. I don't say that the Offpring plays Total Immortal better, i just say I personaly like Dexter's voice even more. :)

nimbo
02-18-2005, 12:20 PM
muy bueno; velocidad, melodia, todo lo que un buen tema punk necesita

Moose
02-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Before "Sing the Sorrow", AFI was the greatest of punk bands. I don't think any of you realize just exactly you're saying. I understand that, yes, The Offspring is good. However, they have also, in my own opinion, declined in quality after "Conspiracy of One" and are still doing so. A song is never performed better than the original artist.

we arent talking about albums, just that song and cover...usually songsa are best as originals, but sometimes they can be better by someone else, its rare, but it happens...such as all along the watchtower by jimi hendrix is better than the original version by bob dylan...you cant say a song is never performed better than the original artist, on occasion it does happen.

HeadAroundU
02-18-2005, 05:58 PM
we arent talking about albums, just that song and cover...usually songsa are best as originals, but sometimes they can be better by someone else, its rare, but it happens...such as all along the watchtower by jimi hendrix is better than the original version by bob dylan...you cant say a song is never performed better than the original artist, on occasion it does happen.
kick ass version!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditol
02-19-2005, 06:29 AM
both versions kick ass. Each of them has this "thing". Can't say which is better...

Jimbob2005
02-22-2005, 02:56 PM
i h8 afi
they suk shit like their version of the song
the offspring's version is OK, nothin gr8 but not crap, better that gayFI's version :p

Embodude2004
02-22-2005, 03:16 PM
afi's version is to slow, to wierd vocals, and isnt as good as offsprings

Offspring Pyro
02-22-2005, 04:57 PM
offspring version is REALLY good but i have to say i like afi's version better

Jimbob2005
02-23-2005, 12:03 PM
the afi one sucks, because of the vocals.
yup the singing is really shit

offspringueuse
02-23-2005, 02:17 PM
yeah, I prefer when the offsprin g sing this song contrary to afi. even if I like AFI

CreaturesInside
02-23-2005, 04:00 PM
All of you guys are complaining about the vocals in the AFI version.

To the guy that blames it on the fact that it was an EP. You're wrong.

Few of you whiners seem to have heard any of AFI's early stuff. Totalimmorta was on an EP, yes. A trasitional EP with a new guitar player. They were beginning to experiment with the gothy music they're playing now while maintaining their hardcore roots.

The vocals on the AFI version sound just as good, if not better, as anything off of Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes.

I don't really have an opionon. I like both of them. AFI's is more hardcore, The Offspring's is a little more metal. I heard the Offspring version first though. I was still listening to AFI's older stuff at the time.

Dead Cheerleader
02-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Good song, good cover.

killboypwrheadjx
02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
i like AFI's version better...theres so much more energy. plus, that song was done before the band sold out and turned all screamo so that makes it even better. The Offspring was starting to die when they did that cover.

Titus
02-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Offspring īs version is much better

leo3375
02-24-2005, 05:26 PM
I prefer the AFI original. The song fits Davey Havok's voice a lot better than it does Dexter's. In fact, in the Offspring version, it sounds like Dexter is straining too hard to hit and sustain some of the notes.

ball_room_blitzer05
02-25-2005, 02:58 AM
i havent actually heard the offspring's version of this song, but the AFI version is good, but knowing the offspring, their version shits all over AFI's :p

Mannen som blev en gris
03-13-2005, 04:59 AM
*Beavis voice* It rules! Rules!

Omni
03-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Isolated, I don't see how you can say they've declined in quality since Conspiracy of One, and continue to do so. There has been ONE album since then, and they can't continue to do so if they don't have any new stuff to make worse (and if they do you haven't heard it). People, I'm sure, thought the exact same thing when ixnay on the Hombre was released (some people STILL dislike it), and they've done just fine since then.

billiejoe87_greenday
03-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Your right that the offspring have recovered from previous lows such as Ixnay, and have the oppurtunity to become big again. But the question is will they ever release another smash or americana? I dont think so.

Come out and smash'em up!
03-14-2005, 04:45 AM
I think offsprings version is a bit better, but the song is great

think about this Offspring covering metallicas battery :D

dirtybird
03-14-2005, 04:52 AM
I like AFI's version, but I've never heard The Offspring's.

Moose
03-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Your right that the offspring have recovered from previous lows such as Ixnay, and have the oppurtunity to become big again. But the question is will they ever release another smash or americana? I dont think so.

record sales dont mean an album is good or bad...ixnay is better than americana, as is ignition and smash, but they all sold less than americana, and im sure american idiot will sell more than dookie, but i believe one can argue that both dookie and nimrod or better than american idiot.

Venezuelan_Nightmare
03-14-2005, 04:09 PM
record sales dont mean an album is good or bad...ixnay is better than americana, as is ignition and smash, but they all sold less than americana, and im sure american idiot will sell more than dookie, but i believe one can argue that both dookie and nimrod or better than american idiot.
first time i agree here... :D

billiejoe87_greenday
03-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Of course album sales dont mean quality, but in MY OPINION in the rare case of splinter's they do. In say Ixnay on the Hombre or Ignitions case, the sales figures definately don't represent the album at hand.

dgnanashi
03-14-2005, 05:27 PM

Bullshit. Smash is best.