PDA

View Full Version : Balancing between having a life and paying the bills

_Lost_
09-18-2012, 04:00 PM
So, for years, my life has been about getting the bills paid. Overtime. Multiple jobs. Dropping out of school. And every sacrifice I've made doesn't seem to be enough to keep up with the constant influx of bullshit that is being thrown in my direction. I get a full time, reliable job? My boss promotes someone that was below me to general manager, who then cuts my hours to 12 a week. I get a working car? A teenager pulls out in front of me and totals it. I finally get hired to do something I really enjoy? (Makeup on a short film) The date gets changed last second to the same day as the Offspring festival and auditions for my job at a haunted trail.

I've finally come to realize that none of its worth it if I don't get to enjoy doing what I love. No more 60 hour weeks at the bar. No more working as an asst manager at a pizza place owned by a lady who has never ever managed in the food business before. No more dropping classes and losing my financial aid because it might have a negative impact on my hours at work. And you know what? My bills may be late, but they WILL get paid, and I am so much happier for it. I spend my week making fake burns out of latex. I got to go to a concert that I would've missed. And I'm a mod here now, which is pretty cool. Oh, and my band should be recording its first cd this fall. How cool is that?

Harleyquiiinn
09-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Very good for you !

I often think that we worry too much about bills.

I kind of have that feeling that if I don't work hard, I am going to end up sleeping in the subway tunnels. Which is completely stupid.

More than paying the bills, I am very very tired of the speech "yeah, you suffer now so later you'll be fine"...

Ok so I studied for 7 years, did 2 years of pratically unpaid interneships and it's been 3 years I work for law firms where I am relatively well paid but treated like a dog by partners who take 12 weeks of vacation a year and come to work 3 hours a day.

My recent boss moved away to Tel Aviv ! She comes back one week every month and between that, I do everything. Even when she is here, she doesn't really work. She has to see her friends you see... she never sees them because she lives away.

How absurd.

So personnally, right now, I don't balance personnal life and work at all. But that's enough. This year, I stop working for someone and becomes an attorney on my own. The work won't stop being hard, but at least I'll stop being frustrated for not doing exactly what I want.

_Lost_
09-18-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm so glad to hear you are finally going to be a full fledged attorney! At least, you have known what all your hard work is for. Maybe you will be able to get what you want and find your balance soon.

Lizardus
09-19-2012, 05:17 PM
How cool is that?

Cool as tits!