PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

Isolated Fury
02-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Just hear me out for a second...

I've noticed that after Americana, the band has seemed to change. Americana, Conspiracy of One, and Splinter did not live up to be what I thought any of them would become. The sound has changed somehow. Now don't get me wrong. I still liked the albums (except Splinter), but they just aren't as good as the older material. It seems to me like the songs produced on the records, such as Pretty Fly, Original Prankster, and Hit That, were only made to get the public's attention to the albums. In other words, they only wanted people to buy the album to listen to thse single songs so they could make more money. I know I'm going to get bashed horribly for saying this, but the members of The Offspring are sell-outs. I'm sorry, but that's what this all boils down to.

However, I'm still a true fan. It's just that this fan only likes the music that sounds like the REAL Offspring.

Thank you :)

Tijs
02-17-2005, 05:32 PM
They've changed after Americana? I disagree, and if you're saying they're sellouts now, because they made songs that got the people's attention, you should see the Splinter DVD, the part of Dexter and Noodles on Neocon. They said they made the song because people like the whoa's. Ignition which was an underground hit, contained a few songs with whoa's in them, they obviously noticed it all those years back already, that people liked the whoa's. So they released Smash --> they released Self Esteem --> Self Esteem's chorus is basicly just oweeeho (which is a 'whoa'). They released Come Out And Play; odd voice in it, and a catchy guitar riff, so from that matter, not that different from Pretty Fly/Original Prankster.
BUT, it seems like you don't care about the fact that they are sell outs, so I respect your opinion on this.

Isolated Fury
02-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Dude (I call everyone that), WHOA's are in all punk. I wasn't talking about that kind of sound. What I meant was, it seems as though they're trying to mix pop-punk (which isn't even their style) with something close to hip hop. And honestly, I think we can all agree that hip hop is tasteless and horrible.

Tijs
02-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Dude (I call everyone that), WHOA's are in all punk. I wasn't talking about that kind of sound. What I meant was, it seems as though they're trying to mix pop-punk (which isn't even their style) with something close to hip hop. And honestly, I think we can all agree that hip hop is tasteless and horrible.
Dude (I call only guys that), Offspring are well known for the whoa's, sure many may use it, but the Offspring use it a LOT. And I only mentioned it for an example.
And there's nothing wrong with hiphop. I happen to like it.

Isolated Fury
02-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Eeeeeewww!

(By the way, I've lost all the respect I ever had for you :) )

Jack the Tripper
02-17-2005, 06:35 PM
I think almost all their albums are different. First it was self/titled which was fast singing punk that I can't understand the words to. Then it was Igniton where the pace of the music slowed down a bit and the music was a little better. Then it was Smash where it was more of hard rock then punk (if you understand what I mean by that). After that their music changed a lot with Ixnay on the Hombre, which is more of a cross beetween pop and punk. Later it was Americana, which was mainly pop and a little bt of punk, but not much. In Conspiracy Of One, it wasn't really any punk; just pippity pop. Splinter was the most different of them all with slow pop/punk songs that are mainly Dexter comlaining about something.

Fernômeno
02-17-2005, 06:39 PM
The Whoa's are the soul of this band, and the best song of whoa's in the world is End Of The Line, and I'm very pissed because I never saw that song live, and whoa songs have to be played live....

Skate Rat 19
02-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Well your right, Americana and Conspiracy of One were sell out albums, they put effort into the 'whoa' songs and nothing else. As for Splinter, they had a fuckin kick ass whoa song and the rest of the album is fuckin insane. remember 'The Noose', Cant get my head around you, never gonna find me, race against myself, lightning rod, long way home,............... They have turned themselves into a hybrid of awsome, solid, powerful rock and popular fun songs. you gotta admit hit that is a pimped out song.

Moose
02-17-2005, 08:11 PM
the last 3 albums werent as good as the first 4, shit happens, but they are still solid albums. each album as a whole has a different sound from each. i wouldnt say they sold out, i think its more of they arent sure where to always go on albums anymore, and i think if they sat down and thought about it they have enough talent and smarts to take their music to wherever they want and make it great.

nickspring-82
02-17-2005, 08:49 PM
The End Of The Line is the best whoa song ever made, offspring is the only punk band that sound good with whoa's, coz dexter does them, on latter albums greg K and noodles do sometimes..

Tijs
02-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Eeeeeewww!

(By the way, I've lost all the respect I ever had for you :) )

Now that's a big loss...

Naz
02-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Yeah, dont cry too much over it ;)

coke_a_holic
02-18-2005, 11:20 AM
I like change the worlds woahs more than end of the line but its a tough choice.