PDA

View Full Version : Judges

bighead384
10-16-2012, 10:53 AM
If someone you cared about were guilty of a crime that you previously thought had a fair punishment involving a long-term prison sentence, would you support the decision to punish them this way? What if you had the opportunity to get them out of it?

Also, could you live with being a judge? I would find being a judge to be very unsettling.

My take on the first question: My immediate response is that it's not really wrong to want the person you care about to get away with it. The only reason a person insists on morals is because of collective self-interest right? That's still a form of self-interest. So why would morality come before your own self-interest in keeping that person out of jail for like 25 years.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-16-2012, 11:28 AM
I fully expected this thread to be about how judges on TV shows and in movies are always black. I'm simultaneously relieved and disappointed that it's not.

I could probably live with being a judge far better than I could live with being a criminal lawyer, that's fordamnsure.

And yeah, of course emotions are more complicated when you're close with someone. I'd be angry that they're being locked away for so long, and I'm sure I'd understand what they're going through and whether they truly need to be rehabilitated, but I don't know if I'd really act on it. It's not like I'd be able to rationally pretend that the court understands their personality like I do and therefore punish them any more lightly than the hundreds of people that get shuffled through the system every day.

randman21
10-16-2012, 12:59 PM
I would have no problem being a judge. Especially in criminal courts, they mostly play the role of referee. Out of all the active pieces of a trial, I think being a judge would allow me to sleep the easiest at night. I remember being on the jury of a murder trial some years ago. The guy got off, even though we all knew he was most likely to have done it. There's some guilt in that, but I wonder how I would feel if we'd found him guilty, even with the likelihood of his guilt, not to mention the slight possibility that he was innocent. Putting someone away for life is heavier than it looks.

As for your other question, I have a very close cousin who's currently serving a long sentence for murder (not life, 2nd degree, I think). I don't feel bad for him at all. That's probably a lot more extreme than what you had in mind, though. For me to sympathize with a person, it would have to be a super white collar crime, or like a drug possession charge, with a really long sentence. I could feel really bad for those guys.

Demazi
10-16-2012, 04:53 PM
I like to think that when anyone takes an action with obvious risks, that person should aknowledge the consequences that they are posing themselves to.

Having that said, across my life I had friends come across small problems and I always say "You knew you were subject to this before it was done" or something like it.

For the other question, I would love being a judge, if it was offered to me.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-16-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm going to have to go to court soon to testify on my behalf regarding my worker's comp injury/claim. I've never been in a courtroom before, so I can only form an opinion about judges right now based on what I've heard, seen on forensics shows and the little I've read about. Although, I imagine being a judge is extremely stressful.
I personally think it is more difficult to be a lawyer because you have to find a way to make your client seem innocent and cast reasonable doubt, even if you think they are guilty.

Harleyquiiinn
10-17-2012, 05:07 AM
1) It depends on the crime. For murder, I'd say that if someone I love kills somebody else, he/she might have very good reasons because, well, I am not close to any psychopaths.
On the contrary, if we are talking about something like rape, where the only possible reason is sex, then they can go to hell..

I really believe in the criminal system in my country. What I would hope for, if someone I know was guilty of a crime, is that the judge would be able to see what I see and to understand the reasons. So that the sentence will be fair. But I believe that punishement is completely necessary.

More than that, if a friend of mine committed a crime, admitted it to me and got away with it, I probably wouldn't go to the police (again, depending of the crime...), but I would find it difficult to keep a good relation with the said friend. It would be like approving of it somehow...

2) I'd have no problem being a judge but I guess what you mean by that is "criminal judge". Well... I would too. But I shouldn't. Rumor says that former lawyers make bad judges because they are actually too severe. I don't know why... maybe because they have the ability to see all the bullshit the lawyers say :D

Llamas
10-17-2012, 06:47 AM
1) It depends on the crime. For murder, I'd say that if someone I love kills somebody else, he/she might have very good reasons because, well, I am not close to any psychopaths.
On the contrary, if we are talking about something like rape, where the only possible reason is sex, then they can go to hell..

I really believe in the criminal system in my country. What I would hope for, if someone I know was guilty of a crime, is that the judge would be able to see what I see and to understand the reasons. So that the sentence will be fair. But I believe that punishement is completely necessary.

More than that, if a friend of mine committed a crime, admitted it to me and got away with it, I probably wouldn't go to the police (again, depending of the crime...), but I would find it difficult to keep a good relation with the said friend. It would be like approving of it somehow...
I agree with this 100%. If it was murder, there'd have to be a seriously good reason for it because I, too, don't keep anyone around me who is violent or angry. With rape or molestation or something, I could never, ever forgive it and I could never associate with that person again. And if someone I knew confessed a crime to me that would put them away for a long time, I'd either report them (depending on what the crime was) or have a hard time being friends with them.

Offspring-Junkie
10-17-2012, 06:57 AM
I would always do the right thing, always keep in contact with the nicest people and would never harm other people. But I do lie sometimes...

Godxilla
10-17-2012, 03:13 PM
I agree with this 100%. If it was murder, there'd have to be a seriously good reason for it because I, too, don't keep anyone around me who is violent or angry. With rape or molestation or something, I could never, ever forgive it and I could never associate with that person again. And if someone I knew confessed a crime to me that would put them away for a long time, I'd either report them (depending on what the crime was) or have a hard time being friends with them.

Maybe it's not like this in Slovakia, I don't know, but in the states, we get so much stuff about unlikely murders. Think about the Aurora killer. His friends said that he couldn't have possibly done it, as he was too nice. So, yeah, I keep sane people around me, too, but it's not too unfeasible that one of them could kill. I guess.

To answer the original question: if someone I knew/loved committed a crime, they ought to serve their time. Simple. With the exception of my mother. I'd fight like a dog to keep her out of the pen. But anyone else? Fuck em。Now, I hate the idea of being a judge, and so I'm grateful that others do it for me. It would be like jury duty every fucking day. Sick.

Defender
10-18-2012, 12:23 AM
I have thought about this many times before(if a good friend of mine commited a murder). I really don't know. Maybe I wouldn' t help him/her to avoid the punishment(not by reporting them) but I would keep a good relation with him/her as long as it gets if he/she went to jail(psychological support,frequent visits).

P.S. It's good to see that almost all women are sensitive to the issue of rape and I am with them. Rape is the worst thing could ever happen to a woman and is unforgivable. A part of themselves turns to dead.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM

I've heard or read that rape is more about violence and control than sex, but, either way, it's utterly horrible.

MOTO13
10-18-2012, 12:12 PM
1)...I really believe in the criminal system in my country. What I would hope for, if someone I know was guilty of a crime, is that the judge would be able to see what I see and to understand the reasons. So that the sentence will be fair. But I believe that punishement is completely necessary.

2) I'd have no problem being a judge but I guess what you mean by that is "criminal judge". Well... I would too. But I shouldn't. Rumor says that former lawyers make bad judges because they are actually too severe. I don't know why... maybe because they have the ability to see all the bullshit the lawyers say :D

Regarding #1...I would rather the judge gouge out his eyes and staple them to a wall than to see it your way. The judge should see the crime and base his decision on the law and at least some of the decision considering the impact to the victim(s)...not the friends of the criminal. Fuck the criminal, he lost all benefit of when the crime was committed.

Regarding #2...based upon your outline in 2nd paragraph #1, you would make a horrible judge. Possibly a great defense attorney however.

Offspring-Junkie
10-20-2012, 01:57 AM
I don't think I could ever be a judge, just the thought of judging wrong once would haunt me for the rest of my life.