PDA

View Full Version : Asperger's syndrome

bighead384
10-17-2012, 08:27 AM
I had an expert tell me that I have asperger's syndrome yesterday. So there you have it. I am basically retarded. lol.

Harleyquiiinn
10-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I had an expert tell me that I have asperger's syndrome yesterday. So there you have it. I am basically retarded. lol.

Ah.. I had an expert telling me yesterday that I had concentration problem...

Or...

Was it ?

I don't know...

I was looking at his face hair so I can't remember what he said :(

T-6005
10-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Today I told myself I was incredibly handsome.

Someone else was saying something about it to me, but they don't matter...

Godxilla
10-17-2012, 04:15 PM
That's OK, Bighead. You're still human.
I think.

But anyhoo, I actually used to be autistic, but I'm not anymore. Looooooong story. So you too can rejoin normal society, with hard work, morals, and a couple of Ron Paul votes.

Tiny Vessels
10-17-2012, 07:00 PM
That's OK, Bighead. You're still human.
I think.

But anyhoo, I actually used to be autistic, but I'm not anymore. Looooooong story. So you too can rejoin normal society, with hard work, morals, and a couple of Ron Paul votes.

I'm just a little confused I knew that you can be diagnosed with autistic later in life but I didn't know that you could grow out of it. I know you said it was a long story but I'm just curious

T-6005
10-17-2012, 07:08 PM
I would also like to know that.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/120/5/1162.full

ASDs, similar to other neurodevelopmental disabilities, are generally not “curable,” and chronic management is required. Although outcomes are variable and specific behavioral characteristics change over time, most children with ASDs remain within the spectrum as adults and, regardless of their intellectual functioning, continue to experience problems with independent living, employment, social relationships, and mental health.

Falling outside of that overwhelming tendency (assuming, of course, a correct initial diagnosis) without providing more information might be seen as a little disingenuous.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-17-2012, 08:15 PM
I have Asperger's Syndrome, too. I was diagnosed when I was either 8 or 11, I forget which. It's not easy, but it's what makes me who I am, weird or not.
Also, if not for my Asperger's Syndrome, I likely would have never had as great an experience at the Offspring concert. Noodles recognized me from the crowd and told everyone who I am, and I got a smile from Greg K. Honestly, I can thank the Asperger's for it. So, how can I look at it in a negative light now?

Godxilla
10-18-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm just a little confused I knew that you can be diagnosed with autistic later in life but I didn't know that you could grow out of it. I know you said it was a long story but I'm just curious

I would also like to know

Then you shall know. It is, of course, long, but I shall try to describe it well. Any sense of detail would add enough to make this its very own thread, but here goes, in vague timeline form.
First, I am born. Something's clearly wrong, as I am born with one eye open and am fairly gray. Not particularly sure why, but it's true. I am obviously not a normal kid, as evidenced by strange behavior and a flurry of health issues (autism itself and a myriad of allergies, many of which I still have). I am not sure how I got diagnosed, but at some point I was. My mother ended up moving our family to Georgia (I was born in MA) to attempt to cure me, after some failed attempts in the local area. There, we find several doctors, who offer some potential treatments. We settle on one guy named, for the purpose of the story, Dr. E. I remember a strict regiment of odd stuff, including long sessions in saunas, freezing showers, and lengthy IV needles, which administered certain fluids for sometimes hours. In my current mindset, I would consider it hell, but it ended up doing several good things. First, I made incredible leaps of improvement. Next, (couldn't say how) I was introduced to Godzilla films, something that has stuck with me, except for a brief interval around age 12. Also, it got me to the ATL, which was awesome. But eventually, Dr. E started writing himself prescriptions, and the place was shut down, shortly after we stopped going (we had got so far, and the IVs didn't seem to help much anymore). So we went pretty hardcore alternative medicine. Homeopathics, cold laser, really avant-garde stuff. It helped quite a bit too. Around age 9, I was society-ready. Over the next 7 or do years, we continued to make gains, until people would have no clue that I ever had autism. I feel blessed for the whole experience, odd as it sounds. I feel "awake" because of my journey, as I have introduced to a life that is beautiful, brave, and foreign to most people. I am proud of my journey, even if it might not be completely over (the allergies mostly). And that is how I went from autistic to awakened. Thank you.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-18-2012, 03:34 PM
I honestly don't understand how actual medications can "cure" autism. I have never heard of autism being called allergies. I have seasonal allergies and autism, and I see no similarities. Medications help the allergies, but only behavioral therapy and training helped me cope with the autism. Don't get me wrong, the other ailments that often accompany Asperger's syndrome can be managed with medications, but not the AS itself. I am not calling you a liar, I just don't understand.

Lizardus
10-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Autism is incurable. Depending on the type of autism, you can adapt and learn how to function but it never goes away.

Godxilla
10-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I honestly don't understand how actual medications can "cure" autism. I have never heard of autism being called allergies. I have seasonal allergies and autism, and I see no similarities. Medications help the allergies, but only behavioral therapy and training helped me cope with the autism. Don't get me wrong, the other ailments that often accompany Asperger's syndrome can be managed with medications, but not the AS itself. I am not calling you a liar, I just don't understand.

I'm not saying that the autism was an allergy. It's just that over the course of my life, I have had to deal with both. I consider them as coming from the same source, a polluted world, but I'm not saying autism is an allergy. If I came across like that, then I apologize. Does that make more sense?

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-18-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm not saying that the autism was an allergy. It's just that over the course of my life, I have had to deal with both. I consider them as coming from the same source, a polluted world, but I'm not saying autism is an allergy. If I came across like that, then I apologize. Does that make more sense?

Oh, okay! Yeah, I get what you mean now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Godxilla
10-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Oh, okay! Yeah, I get what you mean now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Excellent. Glad I could make more sense.

Eskimo
10-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Eh, I wouldn't take it too ultra-seriously. This is just the ADD/ADHD of the 2000s/2010s, the go-to diagnosis of convenience.

Be a little wary if they're pushing medication and such, man, unless it's some serious thing and you feel you're not functioning day-to-day, the side effects probably aren't worth even entertaining the idea. This stuff backflips every decade or so, like with the Ritalin thing of the 90s. "Oh, oops. Guess you weren't hyperactive after all, you were just being a kid. Mai badz, sory bro."

Godxilla
10-19-2012, 09:08 AM
What exactly so you mean by that? If you're talking to me, please explain. If you're talking to bighead, nevermind.
Bighead, just take some homeopathics and call me in the morning.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-19-2012, 10:58 AM
I literally grew up on welbutrin; who knows what damage that did to me? So, yeah, be careful what medications you take long-term.

bighead384
10-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Eh, I wouldn't take it too ultra-seriously. This is just the ADD/ADHD of the 2000s/2010s, the go-to diagnosis of convenience.

I don't know about this. I could be wrong because I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject. But to me, there's a very clear demonstrable difference with how a person functions in the world when they have Asperger's compared to ADD. People with ADD just seem to be a little out of line at times. People with Asperger's have legitimate difficulties functioning in society when it comes to their social life and career and whatnot.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-19-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't know about this. I could be wrong because I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject. But to me, there's a very clear demonstrable difference with how a person functions in the world when they have Asperger's compared to ADD. People with ADD just seem to be a little out of line at times. People with Asperger's have legitimate difficulties functioning in society when it comes to their social life and career and whatnot.

Trust me, there's a difference. There's even a difference between having ADD and having ADHD.

Baldwin
10-31-2012, 12:29 PM
I had an expert tell me that I have asperger's syndrome yesterday.

Just out of curiosity, was this 'expert' an actual doctor who actually diagnosed you with aspergers syndrome, or was it just some self-diagnosed aspie-pride faggot you chat with over the internet who decided you sound like you have aspergers and you thought that announcing it to everyone would get you lots of attention, so long as you phrased it so that everyone would assume it was a legitimate medical diagnosis?

Because your phrasing leaves both possibilities open, and I'm betting on the latter.

bighead384
10-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, was this 'expert' an actual doctor who actually diagnosed you with aspergers syndrome, or was it just some self-diagnosed aspie-pride faggot you chat with over the internet who decided you sound like you have aspergers and you thought that announcing it to everyone would get you lots of attention, so long as you phrased it so that everyone would assume it was a legitimate medical diagnosis?

Because your phrasing leaves both possibilities open, and I'm betting on the latter.
No, it was an expert.

But that's what I like about Asperger's. It makes you different enough to get attention, but not different enough that you function as a full on tard.

I would never use that to my advantage though, that would be pathetic. Unless of course, I felt like it one time.

Also, Bill Gates has Asperger's. Bill Gates is the richest man in the world. Therefore, I too will be rich: http://www.aspergershq.com/bill-gates-aspergers/

Baldwin
10-31-2012, 12:37 PM
So you're saying an expert who is also a doctor actually performed an examination and medically diagnosed you with Aspergers Syndrome?

bighead384
10-31-2012, 12:46 PM
So you're saying an expert who is also a doctor actually performed an examination and medically diagnosed you with Aspergers Syndrome?

Yes. You seem quite anxious to prove that I don't really have it and am just trying to get attention.

Baldwin
10-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Don't be silly. I can't prove whether or not you've been diagnosed with aspergers. I know you haven't been, and I know it to a moral certainty, because what I can do is spot your clumsy lies of omission and read between the lines, but obviously I can't prove anything, nor would I care to try. I can point it out so that people who skimread your posts will notice what you did and make their own judgements on the matter, but proof? Who cares about proof, this is the internet.

All I wanted is for you to either admit your lie and look stupid, or fully commit to it and be stuck with yet another untruth you'll have to remember to uphold your internet persona, until the day you inevitably forget one of them and accidently let slip what a lying, attention-seeking little shit you are. You've chosen the latter, and I'm happy enough with that outcome.

bighead384
10-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Don't be silly. I can't prove whether or not you've been diagnosed with aspergers. I know you haven't been, and I know it to a moral certainty, because what I can do is spot your clumsy lies of omission and read between the lines, but obviously I can't prove anything, nor would I care to try. I can point it out so that people who skimread your posts will notice what you did and make their own judgements on the matter, but proof? Who cares about proof, this is the internet.

All I wanted is for you to either admit your lie and look stupid, or fully commit to it and be stuck with yet another untruth you'll have to remember to uphold your internet persona, until the day you inevitably forget one of them and accidently let slip what a lying, attention-seeking little shit you are. You've chosen the latter, and I'm happy enough with that outcome.

See this guys? If you word your response on a matter eloquently enough, that means your assumption counts more than another persons assumption!

Baldwin: More than just a guy making an assumption

bighead384
10-31-2012, 01:30 PM
To me, Baldwin is one of those people that thinks that being aware of the many shameful things people do to elicit a desired response from others means that he never does any of these types of things himself. The psychology applies to everyone else, but not him. Or at least, the way he's so arrogant and cold when pointing out others flaws gives me that impression. I think everyone does these things to a certain extent, although it can vary a lot from person to person.

Baldwin
10-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Oh, so now I'm pointing out your flaws instead of making wild, baseless assumptions?

Listen bighead, every time somebody tells a story, they tell a much more truthful story with what they don't say, with what words they choose, and with what points they address, or fail to address. Sometimes these stories are all but impossible to read. Sometimes they're so obvious they may as well be written in plain English. You seem to think everyone is obligated to take what you say at face value, so your subtext is laughably easy to read. It's obvious you weren't diagnosed with Aspergers. It's obvious you feel serious resentment towards black people. And it's obvious you have some massive insecurity complex about how intelligent, educated or cultured other people perceive you to be.

All I'm doing is pointing out the obvious, for people who aren't bitter and lonely enough to properly read your bullshit.

bighead384
10-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Oh, so now I'm pointing out your flaws instead of making wild, baseless assumptions?

Listen bighead, every time somebody tells a story, they tell a much more truthful story with what they don't say, with what words they choose, and with what points they address, or fail to address. Sometimes these stories are all but impossible to read. Sometimes they're so obvious they may as well be written in plain English. You seem to think everyone is obligated to take what you say at face value, so your subtext is laughably easy to read. It's obvious you weren't diagnosed with Aspergers. It's obvious you feel serious resentment towards black people. And it's obvious you have some massive insecurity complex about how intelligent, educated or cultured other people perceive you to be.

All I'm doing is pointing out the obvious, for people who aren't bitter and lonely enough to properly read your bullshit.
Yeah, cool story bro.

What in the world constitutes a believable explanation of a diagnosis to you? Do I need to submit the address of the doctor I'm seeing? Want me to fax you a doctor's note? What the fuck are you insisting that people normally do when trying to explain that they've legitimately been diagnosed with something other than saying "I was diagnosed with (insert condition here)".

Baldwin
10-31-2012, 02:35 PM
First off, "cool story bro" is a dismissive conversation-ender. It's supposed to convey that you don't give a shit about what the other person is saying, and that they just wasted their time saying it. If you say "cool story bro", and then you continue the conversation and ask them questions about their cool story, you look stupid.

Now, you didn't say you'd been diagnosed with Aspergers until after I pressed you into saying it, twice. You said an expert told you that you had it. Just about anyone could be a self-professed expert in any field, and somebody telling you that you have a disease isn't the same thing as a doctor diagnosing you with one. Still, it could have just been vague phrasing on your part, but when I asked whether this expert was a doctor and whether he medically diagnosed you, you replied "it was an expert", completely failing to clarify the nature of this expert and avoiding my question entirely. These are lies of omission ; structuring the sentence to guide people into assuming whatever you want them to believe, without actually explicitly stating it. That way if you get busted on a lie, you can fall back on the old "I never said that, you just assumed" defense.

If you still don't understand how I could tell that you weren't really diagnosed, then I give up trying to explain it to you. I honestly don't know how to explain it any simpler.

bighead384
10-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Still, it could have just been vague phrasing on your part, but when I asked whether this expert was a doctor and whether he medically diagnosed you, you replied "it was an expert", completely failing to clarify the nature of this expert and avoiding my question entirely.

Not true...

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-31-2012, 03:24 PM
But that's what I like about Asperger's. It makes you different enough to get attention, but not different enough that you function as a full on tard.

You know what, that was a terrible thing to say. I was diagnosed in adolescence and in certain aspects of life, you DO function "as a full on tard," as you so insensitively put it. You don't always want attention; sometimes you just want to blend in with everyone else. I take pride in being unique, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb everywhere I go. So I despise what you just said. I'm starting to think you don't actually have it... >,>

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
10-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Bighead, can you just die?

bornlie
10-31-2012, 04:49 PM
You know what, that was a terrible thing to say. I was diagnosed in adolescence and in certain aspects of life, you DO function "as a full on tard," as you so insensitively put it. You don't always want attention; sometimes you just want to blend in with everyone else. I take pride in being unique, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb everywhere I go. So I despise what you just said. I'm starting to think you don't actually have it... >,>

Just because bighead is a "tard", it doesn't mean other people with aspergers are "tards".
Bighead just wants attention. I bet he doesn't even have aspergers. He is probably just trolling you guys.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Bighead, can you just die?

I've been on the forum for less than a month and I've noticed he really likes to talk shit about other people. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when I first joined, but it's obvious now that he's just being an asshole and giving a bad rep to people with Asperger's syndrome. I know there are a few of us on the forum, and I know we don't appreciate how he seems to use it as an excuse without ever actually coming out and saying so.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2012, 06:49 AM
For the sake of posterity, here's (http://www.offspring.com/community/showthread.php?48536-I-don-t-actually-have-Asperger-s) where bighead admitted that Justin was (obviously) entirely correct and there never was an actual doctor involved.

bighead384
11-01-2012, 08:05 AM
For the sake of posterity, here's (http://www.offspring.com/community/showthread.php?48536-I-don-t-actually-have-Asperger-s) where bighead admitted that Justin was (obviously) entirely correct and there never was an actual doctor involved.

Either Justin thought the whole thing was a lie (in which case, he was wrong), or he actually went out of his way to give someone a hard time for believing to have Asperger's after hearing an expert, but not a medical doctor, claim he has it. So basically, he was either mostly wrong, or was being an ignorant asshole. It's one of the two, and I don't see how it's something to rub in my face.

I know there are a few of us on the forum, and I know we don't appreciate how he seems to use it as an excuse without ever actually coming out and saying so.
I'm tired of hearing this because it has no basis in reality. I don't know where it's coming from, and frankly, I'm annoyed that 1565 created her own narrative and had it catch on as though it really happened. I've noticed that you don't pick up on jokes well. I did make a few jokes about being distraught and hurt about 1565 trying to lay down the law about me having Asperger's. But even still, I NEVER said anything that hints at, or suggests that I think I should have an excuse to act badly because of Asperger's.

I've been on the forum for less than a month and I've noticed he really likes to talk shit about other people. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when I first joined, but it's obvious now that he's just being an asshole and giving a bad rep to people with Asperger's syndrome.

Also, were you not paying attention when 1565 went out of her way to insult me and tried to lay down the law about how people with Asperger's should be judged? It's funny to me that you've called me out on talking shit, but didn't seem to notice this.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Ya know what? Fuck it! I'm done trying to voice my own opinion on this issue. I've been trying to clear up any misunderstandings about Asperger's syndrome because it seems we are getting a bad rep here, but, why bother? Most of the people talking about the issue clearly see me as too much of a noob to even bother reading what I say. So, think what you want about it, I don't give a shit anymore.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2012, 11:28 AM
So basically, he was either mostly wrong, or was being an ignorant asshole. It's one of the two, and I don't see how it's something to rub in my face.

I don't believe for a second that you have Asperger's, but you do seem to have difficulty with reality sometimes. Justin didn't doubt that someone had told you you have Asperger's. He just immediately knew it wasn't a doctor. You then repeatedly lied about it, saying again and again that it was a doctor while Justin calmly stated again and again that you were lying, and even clearly explained how he could tell like some kind of Aussie Cal Lightman. Just move on from this one.

bighead384
11-01-2012, 11:38 AM
I don't believe for a second that you have Asperger's, but you do seem to have difficulty with reality sometimes. Justin didn't doubt that someone had told you you have Asperger's. He just immediately knew it wasn't a doctor. You then repeatedly lied about it, saying again and again that it was a doctor while Justin calmly stated again and again that you were lying, and even clearly explained how he could tell like some kind of Aussie Cal Lightman. Just move on from this one.
From a perspective of motivation, what kind of sense does that make? Honestly. You literally think Justin sat there and thought "OH MAN. I bet the person that told him that wasn't a medical doctor! What an asshole. Here's my chance to embarrass him!"?

Basically, if there's nothing inherently bad about going by the what an expert, but not necessarily a medical doctor says, why would another person see this as an opportunity to embarrass someone? I know you'd prefer to see things in a way that makes me look like the biggest asshole possible, but do you really think that's what happened? That just makes no sense and is inconsistent with how people think.

I'm quite sure that he was trying to prove that I made the entire thing up, which is a purely false accusation.

Paint_It_Black
11-01-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm quite sure that he was trying to prove that I made the entire thing up, which is a purely false accusation.

Dude, it's all there as plain as can be. You silly, dawg.You silly.

bighead384
11-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Dude, it's all there as plain as can be. You silly, dawg.You silly.

What am I currently denying that is contradicted by what has been said?

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Either Justin thought the whole thing was a lie (in which case, he was wrong), or he actually went out of his way to give someone a hard time for believing to have Asperger's after hearing an expert, but not a medical doctor, claim he has it. So basically, he was either mostly wrong, or was being an ignorant asshole. It's one of the two, and I don't see how it's something to rub in my face.

I'm tired of hearing this because it has no basis in reality. I don't know where it's coming from, and frankly, I'm annoyed that 1565 created her own narrative and had it catch on as though it really happened. I've noticed that you don't pick up on jokes well. I did make a few jokes about being distraught and hurt about 1565 trying to lay down the law about me having Asperger's. But even still, I NEVER said anything that hints at, or suggests that I think I should have an excuse to act badly because of Asperger's.

Also, were you not paying attention when 1565 went out of her way to insult me and tried to lay down the law about how people with Asperger's should be judged? It's funny to me that you've called me out on talking shit, but didn't seem to notice this.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't me who said the second thing. I would never say something like that. I think you both need to stop being so hostile. Then again, I wasn't here years ago to see exactly what happened. Also, you don't know if I don't pick up on jokes. It's a freaking forum! You can't convey whether you are joking or not positively without using the plethora of emotes you can make with letters and symbols. I can't recall you using those. It may seem like a stupid thing to do, but that's sometimes what you need to convey emotion through typed words to avoid misunderstandings.
What I notice and what I choose to point out are two different things. Yes, she's a bit harsh with you, but judging by everyone else's reactions, her harshness isn't unwarranted.

Look, there's a huge difference between these:
You're so stupid!
You're so stupid XP

That's not cool.
That's not cool. :(

The_Astronomer
11-24-2012, 08:53 PM
I've been on the forum for less than a month and I've noticed he really likes to talk shit about other people. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when I first joined, but it's obvious now that he's just being an asshole and giving a bad rep to people with Asperger's syndrome. I know there are a few of us on the forum, and I know we don't appreciate how he seems to use it as an excuse without ever actually coming out and saying so.

I'll tell you what, I had been diagnosed with Aspergers from since I was like 8 and still feel the effects of this spectrum disorder as a way of life. What offends me is to be able to come across someone who choses to mock over this disorder and think very little of it. I may be able to work hard but cope with difficulties in critical situations, like opinionated and controversial topics. Also profanity that I do not deserve is in my view not a joke.