PDA

View Full Version : Why always at the last minute ?

Harleyquiiinn
10-24-2012, 01:55 AM
I am reading the news this morning and there is this article about a man in Florida who was supposed to be executed but the Supreme Court decided to suspend the execution in extremis

It's always the same news (except when the person actually gets executed) and I am wondering.

Why does the Supreme Court always waits the last day, even sometimes the last minutes, to make its decision ?

I know that justice takes time and everything, that you had a frist decision, then an appeal and then the Supreme Court. But it is people making a decision. Not stopping a bomb in five minutes...

Do you guys have an explanation ? I am really interested in this

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
10-24-2012, 06:57 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/11898765.jpg

Offspring-Junkie
10-25-2012, 12:10 PM
I have no explanation for that. What I find to be very disturbing, is that they make a business imprisoning juveniles for ridiculous reasons. I don't know the state that's involved, nor do I recall the ridiculous crimes. Does anyone know more about this, I just have some loose memories about a documentary I watched on TV some time ago.

T-6005
10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
It's the "some poor potential innocent's life is in your hands" exploratory erection. Can't finish that off too quickly.

RageAndLov
10-25-2012, 06:38 PM
More importantly, why is the US the last country in the West to still have the ancient punishment of death?

magicplumbers
10-28-2012, 05:12 AM
American Rocksssssssss

Godxilla
10-28-2012, 07:05 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/11898765.jpg

I love this guy! Georgio A. Tsoukalos! Ancient Astonaut Theorist! This guy is awesome. But he's not American. He was born in Europe, I believe.

Jojan
10-29-2012, 03:25 AM
More importantly, why is the US the last country in the West to still have the ancient punishment of death?

And not make the switch to the metric system.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-29-2012, 03:35 AM

I know the reason for this one! My chemistry professor told us at the beginning of the semester. It would cost the country too much money to switch over all the gas pumps, containers of milk and water, thermometers and other devices that measure in the stupid system we have employed.
I forget the amounts, but they didn't change the system 50 years ago because it cost too much then. They don't change it now because it would cost many times more than that because of all the new technology calibrated to measure in the American system.

RageAndLov
10-31-2012, 04:22 AM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/senior_year/science.png

MOTO13
10-31-2012, 08:10 AM

You act like there is something inherently wrong with the death penalty...there isn't. It is a 100% cure against future killing from the convicted individual. No other form of imprisonment or rehabiliatation has this phenomenal success rate. You want to stop the death penalty? It's a relatively easy fix...have people stop murdering others. I think that once convicted and the sentence for death is handed down, it should be carried out very quickly...24 hours or sooner.

jacknife737
10-31-2012, 10:47 AM

In the developed world, Japan still has it.

Also, if you look at public opinion polling of some countries that have currently abolished the death penalty, sometimes the majority of the population would like it to be reinstated: (ie take the UK for example http://www.angus-reid.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2011.08.23_Death_BRI.pdf )

_Lost_
11-01-2012, 12:40 PM
We only hear about the ones that are stopped at the last minute. The rest get post poned or otherwise at less noteworthy times. Executions are nearly always being appealed from the day they are sentenced to the day they die or are acquitted.