PDA

View Full Version : A safe distance from tragic events

bighead384
10-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Do you think you'd act more constructively if you didn't have a safe distance from many tragic events?

Sometimes I almost feel like it's irrational to not feel affected by an event that would profoundly affect me if only I were to witness it first-hand. But then, if I were to be so affected by all the tragedies that happen, I might be too paralyzed to lead a normal life. I just find the disconnect that goes on here interesting and mind-boggling.

Godxilla
10-24-2012, 04:22 PM
You are a funny dude Bighead. This thread is rediculous.

WebDudette
10-24-2012, 05:30 PM
*ridiculous

jacknife737
10-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Aspies shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

0r4ng3
10-26-2012, 08:28 PM
First misread the title as "A Safety Dance from tragic events". Disappointed to find out the truth.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 12:32 AM

I certainly hope you were joking.

T-6005
10-27-2012, 12:38 AM
I don't find it strange that viewing an event within a medium you recognize as merely artifice to be just that to be all that strange.

I might be the opposite - the boundaries of information have continued to expand, but the bounds of reality seem to have stretched. We accept much more of what we see, without being able to connect with its reality.

It's not particularly surprising, but it is tragic in that it is pretty in line with the general evolution of the medium in question. McLuhan may never have been so right.

Little_Miss_1565
10-27-2012, 12:00 PM

This isn't fair to say. Dexternumbers and Melyssa K seem to be very nice and rather reasonable. Just because two guys on the forum say they have Asperger's and obsess for years over every little perceived slight to their intelligence or "freedom" doesn't mean that all Aspies are like that.

I don't find it strange that viewing an event within a medium you recognize as merely artifice to be just that to be all that strange.

I might be the opposite - the boundaries of information have continued to expand, but the bounds of reality seem to have stretched. We accept much more of what we see, without being able to connect with its reality.

It's not particularly surprising, but it is tragic in that it is pretty in line with the general evolution of the medium in question. McLuhan may never have been so right.

T, you make me want to sit down with a pipe and some Powers and reread McLuhan and look at the milky way in the desert and feel small in comparison to the vastness of the cosmos. I dig it.

cool 2 hate 681
10-27-2012, 12:05 PM
This isn't fair to say. Dexternumbers and Melyssa K seem to be very nice and rather reasonable. Just because two guys on the forum say they have Asperger's and obsess for years over every little perceived slight to their intelligence or "freedom" doesn't mean that all Aspies are like that.

I agree I have Asperger's Syndrome also

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 07:24 PM
I agree I have Asperger's Syndrome also

Nice to know I'm not alone. I admit, I even annoy myself with my obsessiveness but I keep it in check and it's usually science subjects and bands' music that I obsess over. I may be annoying at times, but I'm never creepy. So thinking all aspies are creepy is completely not fair.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 07:27 PM

Thank you! I'm a bit odd at times, but I don't think I've ever fit into the category of being creepy. I've had a lot of experience with neurotypicals at college and at my cashiering jobs, so I've learned a lot over the years. Most people don't even know I have Asperger's unless I tell them.
And, not that you can tell just by looking at someone, but people never suspect it by looking at me, either.

bighead384
10-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Look everyone! It's 1565's stance on the proper judgement of people with Asperger's! So don't even think about calling a big city liberal like 1565 *gasp* the "I" word" (intolerant).

Llamas
10-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Look everyone! It's 1565's stance on the proper judgement of people with Asperger's! So don't even think about calling a big city liberal like 1565 *gasp* the "I" word" (intolerant).
Man, you are just trying way too hard at this point. You crossed the line from annoying to creepy long ago. Isn't it time to back off a bit?

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 08:25 PM

You know what, if she thinks I'm reasonable and I'm still relatively new to the forum, then she's cool by me. I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say about her here, but it doesn't sound very nice.

bighead384
10-27-2012, 08:32 PM
You know what, if she thinks I'm reasonable and I'm still relatively new to the forum, then she's cool by me. I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say about her here, but it doesn't sound very nice.

Sorry. I guess I've just been so distraught by the recent discovery of my condition that I fly off the handle a little bit:(

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Sorry. I guess I've just been so distraught by the recent discovery of my condition that I fly off the handle a little bit:(

No reason to be distraught over it. Just learn about it and learn ways to deal with it. I've come to embrace it as part of myself because, without it, I wouldn't be me. There are some things about me that I don't care for and I've been through nasty hell in my life because of it, but I wouldn't change me for anything.
I'm nice and all and I'll tone down certain more annoying aspects of my personality so I can communicate with people, but I don't change who I am. If people don't like me, fuck them.

Little_Miss_1565
10-27-2012, 08:55 PM

Yeah, a call for greater tolerance of people with Asperger's because you being awful doesn't mean that all people with Asperger's are awful. That's definitely what intolerance is.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah, a call for greater tolerance of people with Asperger's because you being awful doesn't mean that all people with Asperger's are awful. That's definitely what intolerance is.

You are awesome.

Lizardus
10-27-2012, 11:19 PM

Not to mention that one of them is not only younger but has been acting, by comparison, in a mature manner.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Not to mention that one of them is not only younger but has been acting, by comparison, in a mature manner.

Who are you referring to?

bighead384
10-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Uh, that's not what I was getting at.

1565 bullies people with Asperger's (me). Attacked me in this thread unprovoked. Revoke her big city liberal status at once!

Don't buy into her explanations. She's INTOLERANT of people with Asperger's!

Now that she isn't a mod, 1565 knows she's finally free to let her true colors as an intolerant bigot show.

Little_Miss_1565
10-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Are you sure you're not insane?

Lizardus
10-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Who are you referring to?

Dexter###, that kid is cool.

Most crazy people don't know they are crazy.

bighead384
10-28-2012, 06:36 AM

More trash.

2-4-6-8
LM1565 is full of hate!

Superdope
10-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Wait, Bighead's got Aspergers?

That was the sound of everything falling into place.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 08:12 AM
How can Little Miss 1565 be intolerant of people with Asperger's if she doesn't post things saying I'm weird or creepy or other negative terms?

Wait, Bighead's got Aspergers?

That was the sound of everything falling into place.
Lol!

bighead384
10-28-2012, 09:09 AM
How can Little Miss 1565 be intolerant of people with Asperger's if she doesn't post things saying I'm weird or creepy or other negative terms?
I don't really think that, I just found it funny that 1565 made a couple posts in the past few days regarding the proper judgement of people with Asperger's. Like she's so anxious to prove that she doesn't have to treat me any different now that she knows I have Asperger's. Because as we all know, 1565 is defensive and obsessed with righteousness, and the mere possibility that someone could view her as treating someone unfairly needs to be dealt with ASAP (even if that means attacking me unprovoked). LOL.

Gee, thanks for the negativity towards me after the tough news I got recently:(. Lol.

jacknife737
10-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Real talk: wasn't being serious in the slightest.

Apologies to all who were offended.

Little_Miss_1565
10-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Bighead, you are the most brittle douche ever. Attacking me unprovoked whenever you feel bored is fine, but a statement about not judging all people on the forum with Asperger's just because you're in love with making life difficult for people is out of line. You don't get a free pass on being awful due to a diagnosis.

I would think that a diagnosis of a non-fatal developmental / behavioral disorder would be a relief in that after identification can come therapies for improvement. At least that's how I felt when my chronic pain disorder was finally diagnosed. And yeah, your single-minded obsession over years with me does now make more sense. Sorry you're having a tough time with it.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't really think that, I just found it funny that 1565 made a couple posts in the past few days regarding the proper judgement of people with Asperger's. Like she's so anxious to prove that she doesn't have to treat me any different now that she knows I have Asperger's. Because as we all know, 1565 is defensive and obsessed with righteousness, and the mere possibility that someone could view her as treating someone unfairly needs to be dealt with ASAP (even if that means attacking me unprovoked). LOL.

Gee, thanks for the negativity towards me after the tough news I got recently:(. Lol.

I've been waiting to come home from work all day to say this. I wasn't trying to direct negativity toward you, but you are acting like being diagnosed with Asperger's is this huge, horrible thing. You are talking about it like you didn't like people with Asperger's before you found out you have it. There are worse diagnoses out there and getting the diagnosis doesn't change who you have always been. If anything, you get to learn more about yourself and to help yourself. I'm not ashamed that I have Asperger's syndrome. I can thank it for giving me my genius IQ and ability to learn almost any science-related thing I hear about the first time. Yes, I've had bad experiences because of it, but being diagnosed also helped my family provide at atmosphere to change some of my behaviors as I grew up. I typically don't take forums topics this seriously, but I don't like it when people give a bad name to aspies and I'll take steps to correct any misunderstandings.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I would think that a diagnosis of a non-fatal developmental / behavioral disorder would be a relief in that after identification can come therapies for improvement. At least that's how I felt when my chronic pain disorder was finally diagnosed. And yeah, your single-minded obsession over years with me does now make more sense. Sorry you're having a tough time with it.

I was thinking the same thing all day today, so it's funny that you said what I was thinking before I had a chance to say it. I know about chronic pain, so I can empathize with you. I'm in extreme pain 24/7 and have been for years due to several random joint issues. I'm sorry you also have to be in pain all the time. I hope you are finding ways to cope with it.

Godxilla
10-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Once upon a time, my brother got banned from this forum. You see, he made a rape joke about LM1565. She actually banned him personally. But she FAILED to tell him why, so he continued to set up accounts, thinking it must be a personal vendetta of some sort. She promptly blamed it all on me, and said I (ME) must be the reason he was so irrational. So, she a fucking piece of lying crap. And that's why she's an ignorant bitch.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Once upon a time, my brother got banned from this forum. You see, he made a rape joke about LM1565. She actually banned him personally. But she FAILED to tell him why, so he continued to set up accounts, thinking it must be a personal vendetta of some sort. She promptly blamed it all on me, and said I (ME) must be the reason he was so irrational. So, she a fucking piece of lying crap. And that's why she's an ignorant bitch.

Well, I'm sorry to hear about that, but I have not witnessed any ignorance from her myself. I'm not going to hold anything against her unless I experience it for myself.

bighead384
10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Trying to lay down the law again with defensive and righteous crap

Cool story bro.

Little_Miss_1565
10-28-2012, 04:27 PM
No, Godxilla, I didn't "blame" you for what your brother did, but you are a jackass all the same. I do feel for your parents. And I guess so much for wanting to be left alone by me. What you really want is a pass to be as much of a loud asshole with no blowback or consequences. In that case, 4chan is for you.

Nowhere does it say I or any of the other moderators were required to tell someone why they were banned, just as when you get kicked out of a restaurant or bar, the manager doesn't have to engage you with why you're being removed. You just remove the problem with as little interaction with a clearly nutty person as you can possibly manage. I handled myself exactly as I was supposed to, and it's not my problem that you're both angry teenagers with overblown senses of entitlement.

Cool story bro.

You have Asperger's. Now what are you going to do? Are you going to use it as an excuse for alienating, obsessive behavior, or are you going to use this information to do something other than be a dick online?

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 04:30 PM
I now admire Little_Miss_1565. I wish I could speak my mind like that. I mean, I speak my mind, but I'm always afraid of offending people, so I reword it and never end up telling how I really feel. I probably just come off as sounding like a pussy. I could learn from you, Little_Miss_1565!

bornlie
10-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Uh, that's not what I was getting at.

1565 bullies people with Asperger's (me). Attacked me in this thread unprovoked. Revoke her big city liberal status at once!

Don't buy into her explanations. She's INTOLERANT of people with Asperger's!

Now that she isn't a mod, 1565 knows she's finally free to let her true colors as an intolerant bigot show.

you seem a bit angry!

Lizardus
10-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Bighhead is a tragic event, better keep your distance.

bighead384
10-28-2012, 05:12 PM
You have Asperger's. Now what are you going to do? Are you going to use it as an excuse for alienating, obsessive behavior, or are you going to use this information to do something other than be a dick online?
Nice try, but I never said anything that suggests that I think having Asperger's should be an excuse for anything. I can see how it's much easier for you to make up your own narrative to the situation just so you can feel like you laid down the law, though. You know, since you're utterly obsessed with righteousness and all.

Llamas
10-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Let's just say 1565 was "obsessed with being righteous". What's so bad about that? Okay, so that'd mean she's arrogant. So what if she was? Is supposed arrogance really enough for you to be so fucking angry at someone, with name-calling and constant baiting?

Godxilla
10-28-2012, 05:48 PM
No, Godxilla, I didn't "blame" you for what your brother did, but you are a jackass all the same. I do feel for your parents. And I guess so much for wanting to be left alone by me. What you really want is a pass to be as much of a loud asshole with no blowback or consequences. In that case, 4chan is for you.

Nowhere does it say I or any of the other moderators were required to tell someone why they were banned, just as when you get kicked out of a restaurant or bar, the manager doesn't have to engage you with why you're being removed. You just remove the problem with as little interaction with a clearly nutty person as you can possibly manage. I handled myself exactly as I was supposed to, and it's not my problem that you're both angry teenagers with overblown senses of entitlement.

I'm sorry we have to go here again. I thought that I was on your ignore list. That's too bad. Actually it sucks.
Mrs. Kennedy can think whatever she wants about you, but the fact is that you banned him and then alienated me for no particular reason. However, Gotengo has benefitted greatly from our interactions. Now, that being said, I was just trying to educate Mrs. Kennedy on the nature of you hating me and to provide one example of your ignorance. Am I my brother's keeper? No. Did you act like it? Indeed. I'm sorry. you can have your own car, boat, plane, and Offspring.com forum account, but you can't have your own facts. And what I described was the truth. Again, deepest condolences. You have good qualities (I'm sure you'd make a great mother, if you aren't already, and a good person in person). But the internet distorts our voices, and I think we are both at fault for this. You can deny it of course, and get defended by a 1-line zinger from Lizardous, but it won't make anything better.
Hear me in my Jeffersonian text: I, the person known as Godxilla, in order to establish intercommunal Peace, ensure verbal Tranquility, facilitate in Orderly and Civil Debate, and to remove all mentions of Mecha moreover from this Forum. To this Pledge I dedicate my Life, my Honor, and my Sacred Fortune.
Godxilla

Little_Miss_1565
10-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Whatever you want to do. Though if you could refrain from needling me by posting happy birthday messages all the while trying to claim I'm the one needling you, that'd be great.

Was I suspicious of your many questions to me of how I figured out what with regards to your brother? Of course. If you think you were the only sibling pair bored at home and seeking to spice things up by posting bullshit on a band's web forum, you are mistaken indeed. But that'd only be holding you solely responsible if you have a martyrdom complex...oh, whoops, which you do.

Getting mighty tired of people obsessed with SOME BITCH being MEAN ON THE INTERNET HOW DARE SHE.

bighead384
10-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Whatever you want to do. Though if you could refrain from needling me by posting happy birthday messages all the while trying to claim I'm the one needling you, that'd be great.

Was I suspicious of your many questions to me of how I figured out what with regards to your brother? Of course. If you think you were the only sibling pair bored at home and seeking to spice things up by posting bullshit on a band's web forum, you are mistaken indeed. But that'd only be holding you solely responsible if you have a martyrdom complex...oh, whoops, which you do.

Getting mighty tired of people obsessed with SOME BITCH being MEAN ON THE INTERNET HOW DARE SHE.
Wow. You are seriously a troubled soul. Honestly, it's so sad that I almost want to give you some advice: Run to the light, it won't save you tonight. All our yesterdays are pictures lost in time. Never enough. Towers crumble to dust. Looking back on the moments of our lives. All your anger all your hurt doesn't matter in the end. Those days go by and we all start again. What you had and what you lost: they're all memories in the wind.Those days go by and we all start again. Stars still burn bright. Seasons change overnight. As we find a way the times they come and go. Look back in love. A new day rises above with the wind it comes to carry you back home. All your anger all your hurt doesn't matter in the end. Those days go by and we all start again. What you had and what you lost: they're all memories in the wind.Those days go by and we all start again. What you had and what you lost. What you had and what you lost. Those days go by.

Godxilla
10-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Have more lyrical advice:
I'm tired of your open mouth, crawling inside my skin. The endless pain, we never quit, the fight within the pride's begun. Saying it's too late. What a man's got he'll learn to hate.
Forgive the time I said I would. Replace it with "I never will." Beyond the facts held in you face, ignore the facts under your nose. Saying it's too late. What a man's got, he'll learn to hate.
Just grow up.

And happy birthday.

Little_Miss_1565
10-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Godxilla, if you want to be left alone by the big mean girl, you should probably give her a wide berth.

Lizardus
10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Kicking the hornet's nest is the worst way to keep them out of your house.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Kicking the hornet's nest is the worst way to keep them out of your house.

That's why I stay away from the damn things. I know you stated a metaphor, but I'm didn't. They nest in my roof in the summer and occasionally wonder into my house!