PDA

View Full Version : Once popular groups that no one cares about anymore

bighead384
10-25-2012, 11:34 AM
It's no secret that If you're a one hit wonder, a severe and sudden drop-off in the size of your fan base is inevitable. But some bands manage to fade completely into obscurity despite having a significant period of popularity and a fan base that once took them seriously. In some cases, this even happens to bands who had more than one popular album. And furthermore, while a band like The Offspring isn't quite what you'd call the most relevant, they've at least maintained a sizable base of hardcore fans. Yet, this isn't the case for other groups. Here are some that I can think of:

Hoobastank
Velvet Revolver
Bush

I honestly don't know one person that remains a fan of any of these bands despite them having success over an extended period of time.

jacknife737
10-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Smash Mouth

I looked them up randomly a couple weeks ago, out of curiosity: the only shows they seem to play these days are like State Fairs.

Tijs
10-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Smash Mouth.For that I would like to refer you to my last month's top 5.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2vmhwxv.png

Actually I've been a fan of them for a long time, especially they're early punk stuff. Magic's alright too, that album came out probably right after you last checked them. Check out Perfect Planet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cinl4XgGNpM).

I looked them up randomly a couple weeks ago, out of curiosity: the only shows they seem to play these days are like State Fairs.As far as I know they haven't really toured outside of the US for years now... and it's mainly fairs indeed. Though I would definitely travel a bit to see them play.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-25-2012, 01:52 PM
I disagree with Bush being on this list, but otherwise solid choices.

I always tend to think of late 90s alternative bands like Tonic, Nine Days, Fastball, and Vertical Horizon. No one cares about those bands at all anymore.

From the mid-90s there were a bunch of bands that I guess you could call "post-grunge" who are also good choices for the list. Seven Mary Three? Days of the New? Candlebox? Cracker? Oleander? Lolz to all of those.

bighead384
10-25-2012, 02:06 PM
I disagree with Bush being on this list, but otherwise solid choices.

I always tend to think of late 90s alternative bands like Tonic, Nine Days, Fastball, and Vertical Horizon. No one cares about those bands at all anymore.

All good additions. But you'd insist that Bush still has a respectable fan base? I sure as hell haven't noticed. Bush seems to have a couple songs that you might still hear at a sports arena or jukebox, but I don't know anyone that is actually into their whole discography and takes them seriously. I might be wrong though...they were awfully successful at one time.

Outerspaceman21
10-26-2012, 02:38 AM
Eve 6 come to mind. You hear "Here's to the Night" and "Inside Out" on the radio sometimes, but after that, nothing. Another one that i still like (their early shit at least) is Lit. Every now and then I'll blast "My Own Worst Enemy" or "Zip Lock", but their new album wasn't good at all.

Selena74
10-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Fuel had a string of hits, but now you don't hear anything from them. It's the same with the band Filter too.

randman21
10-26-2012, 09:38 AM
3 Doors Down. They were a massive hit pretty recently, but I never hear that name now.

cool 2 hate 681
10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
I think people still care about bush the new album they put out last year did better then i thought it would

I would add
Everclear
Third Eye Blind
Marcy Playground
SR-71
Limp Bizkit
Creed

bighead384
10-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Hmm, the past few posts mention bands that don't quite fit the criteria. I'm talking about bands that were popular for an extended period of time. Basically, that means they had more than one album that had commercial or critical success and built up a large fan base than all but disappeared upon their decline.

SR-71 was basically a one hit wonder.

Here's one:

Hawthorne Heights. Two gold albums. Reached "next big thing" status at the height of their popularity and were icons of their genre. Now literally no one gives a shit about them.

Jojan
10-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Your mother.

Selena74
10-26-2012, 04:14 PM
3 Doors Down. They were a massive hit pretty recently, but I never hear that name now.

I still like 3 Doors Down. I don't think their new record (2011) went over well. I thought it was a good record though, reminded me of their first record a lot.

Outerspaceman21
10-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Hawthorne Heights. Two gold albums. Reached "next big thing" status at the height of their popularity and were icons of their genre. Now literally no one gives a shit about them.

I think one of the reasons for that is because the genre itself has died down in popularity dramatically and they never really could reinvent themselves into anything other than a emo/pop punk band.

cool 2 hate 681
10-26-2012, 06:38 PM
The Ataris were pretty popular in 2003 now they play in bars to 40 people

Another band is The Goo Goo Dolls who were really really popular in 1998 im pretty sure nobody cares about them now

Llamas
10-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Sugar Ray
Collective Soul
The Offspring (lol)
The Killers
Incubus
Matchbox 20

Third Eye Blind is still a legit good band. For real. And I still appreciate Tonic, but I haven't checked out anything from them since like 2004. They were actually a good band, though. And Bush definitely still has a lot of fans - even this BBS had a thread about Bush's new album last year. I saw Gavin Rossdale in concert a couple years ago - was a great show.

Hoobastank and Everclear are my favorite additions to this thread so far :D

Nine Days, Fastball, and Vertical Horizon... each of those bands I think pretty much just had one hit, so I dunno if they really count. Same for Marcy Playground.

Eve 6 definitely doesn't count because they broke up after their third album, and only recently reunited. I think this only counts for bands that are still making music.

Llamas
10-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I just looked up Hoobastank for the first time in probably a decade... Running Away was a pretty good song, but The Reason was terrible. Also, Hoobastank was such a huge Incubus-wannabe, and I don't think I ever noticed that when they were popular. Incubus was far better, though, despite Brendan Boyd being a pretentious douche.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-26-2012, 08:32 PM
The Reason is one of the absolute worst songs ever.

Vertical Horizon had a few hits, but they were all from the same album, and all were popular within a very small window of time.

Third Eye Blind- don't get me wrong, I absolutely love their first album and it was super important to me, but I haven't been able to get too into their new stuff. It is true that they have had a really unusual resurgence in popularity in the past several years, however, and therefore don't belong in this thread. I think I read that they were the #1 most requested band at college campuses. But I think that's 100% due to nostalgia, and not because they're still a really good band. They're pretty much becoming the Journey of the 90s.

I think their first album was one of the first albums that our generation understood better than our elders did. Music critics and older siblings made fun of us for listening to it, and now years later we've revisited it and said "Hey, this album is actually really good! For once my former self was not a total idiot! Suck it, haters!"

Tiny Vessels
10-27-2012, 10:21 AM
I never hear about 7 Mary 3, MXPX, Simple Plan, Interpol, 311.

cool 2 hate 681
10-27-2012, 10:43 AM

Offspring opened for 311 2 years ago haha

Tiny Vessels
10-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Offspring opened for 311 2 years ago haha

I saw theOffspring 2 years ago and 311 was not there, it was just the Offspring. Then again it was an outdoor fest.

cool 2 hate 681
10-27-2012, 10:54 AM
I saw theOffspring 2 years ago and 311 was not there, it was just the Offspring. Then again it was an outdoor fest.

your lucky they were really awful my friend wanted to see them but i convinced him to leave after 10 songs because they were so bad live

Llamas
10-27-2012, 04:28 PM
The Reason is one of the absolute worst songs ever.
Absofuckinlutely. I hate that song. It's on par with that "All of My Life" song by Lenny Kravitz.

Vertical Horizon had a few hits, but they were all from the same album, and all were popular within a very small window of time.
Really? I only ever knew Everything You Want. Nevermind... I just Youtubed them... I know this "You're a God" song. They weren't a terrible band, but pretty bland. Still, two songs... unless there are others which I'm not finding on Youtube, I still dunno if that counts.

Looking up Vertical Horizon reminded me of another one: Switchfoot. They were pretty big like ten years ago, with quite a few hits over a few albums. I actually kinda dug them - they had a few (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O25SH4bb1Uc) legit good songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYxFEFklMPA). (I'm always amused when people get in Youtube fights over stupid shit. Like, it's expected on a video that's about gay marriage or abortion... but when a fight thread breaks out due to someone hating a song, it's just hilarious to read.)

Third Eye Blind- don't get me wrong, I absolutely love their first album and it was super important to me, but I haven't been able to get too into their new stuff. It is true that they have had a really unusual resurgence in popularity in the past several years, however, and therefore don't belong in this thread. I think I read that they were the #1 most requested band at college campuses. But I think that's 100% due to nostalgia, and not because they're still a really good band. They're pretty much becoming the Journey of the 90s.

I gotta disagree. I actually think their first album was not that great, minus the last three songs which are fucking epic and straight-up amazing music. However, some of their more recent albums have been pretty high quality. I quite enjoy their album, Ursa Major. Like, I totally dig this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDqzu36KnAk)

Also, The Wallflowers, and that one is just sad, because they're a damn good band. Really, really damn good. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxTObSKwBic)

Tiny Vessels
10-27-2012, 06:13 PM
I was going through my cds and I found my Switchfoot cd. I forgot I had it. Listened to it and I was totally re-minded why I liked it so much.

I agree with you The Wallflowers are a damn good band.

What about the Gin Blossoms? They had a couple of great songs.

Llamas
10-27-2012, 06:48 PM
I was going through my cds and I found my Switchfoot cd. I forgot I had it. Listened to it and I was totally re-minded why I liked it so much.
Minus the religious lyrics (I'm not religious and find religious lyrics kinda annoying, but lyrics are so much less important for me than music itself), they are/were a really good band. Really some fantastic songs.

I agree with you The Wallflowers are a damn good band.
Definitely, and I like Jakob Dylan's solo work, too, but the Wallflowers were quite a bit better than him alone.

What about the Gin Blossoms? They had a couple of annoying songs.

Fixed that for you ;) I have a high school friend who loves the Gin Blossoms, so I've been dragged along to a couple concerts... they suck so, so much.

Tiny Vessels
10-27-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm not religious either Llamas so I know what you mean.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-28-2012, 03:27 AM
I gotta disagree. I actually think their first album was not that great, minus the last three songs which are fucking epic and straight-up amazing music. However, some of their more recent albums have been pretty high quality. I quite enjoy their album, Ursa Major. Like, I totally dig this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDqzu36KnAk)

Ha, I used to say that if you listened to the last four songs on their first album with a girl, it would highly increase the chances of sex. I haven't heard many people say that their newest stuff is better than their first album, but I do love scattered moments of their third and fourth albums, particularly "Faster," and "Can't Get Away" from Out of the Vein, and "Sharp Knife" from Ursa Major. Blue is pretty good, just really disjointed, which makes sense given all of the tension going on in the band at that time. Out of the Vein has several good songs, but overall the album leaves me with a weird feeling and I almost always skip lots of tracks. Ursa Major is probably more solid overall than Out of the Vein, but it sounds like a different band to me, probably because it is one... only two original members left. It also has a few too many smarmy and cheesy moments for me.

I guess I just like the first album because it came out during a big period of general music discovery for me, and it's one of the only albums from that era that has aged well for me. It is sort of hard not to be sick of the shit-ton of singles from it, I do still appreciate that the guitar work is great throughout, the lyrics are sort of emblematic of its time period, and as you said it just closes brilliantly.

As I was looking through my 3eb music in my iTunes just now, I noticed another band that would be a perfect addition to this thread: Toad the Wet Sprocket. I remember I liked that "Walk on the Ocean" song, and even though I ALWAYS hated that "All I Want" song (not the Offspring song stfu), which was the only other one that anyone knew, for some ungodly reason I decided to get the whole album. Fucking horrible, piece of shit album. I don't even know why the fuck I ever liked Walk on the Ocean.

Llamas
10-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Ha, I used to say that if you listened to the last four songs on their first album with a girl, it would highly increase the chances of sex.
Haha, I Want You is totally a sex song. I like that song, but it's not a masterpiece like the combination of The Background/Motorcycle Drive-by/God of Wine... I dunno if those songs are really sexy, either :P

I haven't heard many people say that their newest stuff is better than their first album, but I do love scattered moments of their third and fourth albums, particularly "Faster," and "Can't Get Away" from Out of the Vein, and "Sharp Knife" from Ursa Major. Blue is pretty good, just really disjointed, which makes sense given all of the tension going on in the band at that time. Out of the Vein has several good songs, but overall the album leaves me with a weird feeling and I almost always skip lots of tracks. Ursa Major is probably more solid overall than Out of the Vein, but it sounds like a different band to me, probably because it is one... only two original members left. It also has a few too many smarmy and cheesy moments for me.
I dunno if I'd say Ursa Major is better than the self-titled as a whole, but I do think it's more solid. There are a lot of songs on S/T that I've always skipped, but Ursa Major is good throughout. I agree about Blue - that's by far their worst album. Very disjointed, and far too poppy/slicked-over. Out of the Vein is alright... which songs on Ursa Major do you find cheesy, though? I also didn't know that another member left the band. When Kevin left the band, I assumed they were finished for good... especially with how bad Blue was. But they came back with a decent effort in Out of the Vein, and then I felt they really came back with Ursa Major.

I guess I just like the first album because it came out during a big period of general music discovery for me, and it's one of the only albums from that era that has aged well for me. It is sort of hard not to be sick of the shit-ton of singles from it, I do still appreciate that the guitar work is great throughout, the lyrics are sort of emblematic of its time period, and as you said it just closes brilliantly.
Here I have to agree with you. I will always love the S/T album, due to it being one of my first like 6 albums and it coming out when I was just discovering music. Plus I agree it's one of the few that has aged well for me. My first few albums were Alanis's first two, Jewel Pieces of You, Cher Believe, Natalie Imbruglia Left of the Middle, Eve 6, NSYNC, City of Angels soundtrack, Third Eye Blind, and Chumbawamba Tubthumper. Cher and NSYNC I only listen to nowadays for pure nostalgia, well aware of how terrible it is. Natalie and Jewel I can still appreciate (their old stuff - new stuff sucks), but I hardly ever listen to them anymore. The old Eve 6 albums are great, but when they reunited, they'd lost it. But I still love those first three albums. I don't listen to that Chumbawamba album anymore, but it introduced me to them and they've got INCREDIBLE stuff if you exclude that album. And City of Angels soundtrack is pretty solid, but I never listen to soundtracks anymore. Alanis and 3eb are the only two that really stuck for me, where I still willingly to this day listen to those albums and truly enjoy them, while also enjoying and appreciating their new stuff... though Alanis is still one of my top artists and I anticipate every album.

As I was looking through my 3eb music in my iTunes just now, I noticed another band that would be a perfect addition to this thread: Toad the Wet Sprocket. I remember I liked that "Walk on the Ocean" song, and even though I ALWAYS hated that "All I Want" song (not the Offspring song stfu), which was the only other one that anyone knew, for some ungodly reason I decided to get the whole album. Fucking horrible, piece of shit album. I don't even know why the fuck I ever liked Walk on the Ocean.
I only remember one song by them, and it was Hey Bulldog. Because it was on the I Know What You Did Last Summer album, which I bought because of the Offspring ;) Otherwise, I honestly didn't know that band at all. Were they really that popular?

bighead384
10-28-2012, 09:21 AM
I have a really bad impression of 3EB. First of all, the frontman acted like such a lame douche when I saw them at a DC radio festival that The Offspring played at. He kept saying all these typical hippie one-liners, like "unite as one" and shit like that. Me and my friend occasionally laugh about it. I didn't think they were all that great either. I don't like the lyrics to that "I want something else" song. He's bragging about doing lines of coke and it just rubs me the wrong way. I usually don't care about others drug use, but it just seems weird in that particular song.

Llamas
10-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Steven Jenkins is a ridiculous douche. In 2002, I went to a Goo Goo Dolls concert and Third Eye Blind was one of the openers... they were awful. I think Jenkins was probably drunk or on something, and he was just a totally pompous dick who barely sung and left most of the singing to the audience - even in songs that weren't singles, and it wasn't even THEIR show. Their song topics are also often uninteresting to me, but I'm not a lyrics person usually. I don't consider myself a big fan, I only bought their S/T album, would never pay to see them again... but they write some solid songs. Good music.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Was about to say more or less the same thing. He's rather known for being a douche.

For instance, I admit that this interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BG_HwQbES0) is actually fucking hilarious, but still, my God he's being an unnecessary douche here. And rather creepy.

He also used to be in an early '90s hip-hop duo that had a song on the Beverly Hills 90210 soundtrack. Also pretty hilarious (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsXMemde12k). You could say that he's not exactly the most self-aware dude on the planet.

bornlie
10-28-2012, 06:04 PM
The Ataris were pretty popular in 2003 now they play in bars to 40 people

Another band is The Goo Goo Dolls who were really really popular in 1998 im pretty sure nobody cares about them now

lol i saw them in 2010 and Kris Roe looked a little disenchanted.

Llamas
10-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Was about to say more or less the same thing. He's rather known for being a douche.

For instance, I admit that this interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BG_HwQbES0) is actually fucking hilarious, but still, my God he's being an unnecessary douche here. And rather creepy.

I dunno if he's always like this or not in interviews, but the interviewer is annoying and stupid... I kinda get the impression that he just didn't like the guy and was giving him a hard time :P

Dulce
11-27-2012, 02:41 PM
The fucking shit list:

Orgy
Hanson
Spicegirls
98degress
Lfo
N'sync
Backstreet boys
Savage garden
Deadsy
Country
One or new direction
Justin beiber
Five
Crazytown
78violet

cool 2 hate 681
11-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Savage garden

i used to get that band mixed up with soundgarden haha

Tiny Vessels
11-27-2012, 03:48 PM
The fucking shit list:

Spicegirls
98degress
Lfo
N'sync
Backstreet boys
One or new direction

It's One Direction and the reason I know this is because this is my best friend's little sisters favorite group. Hangout with a 9 year old this is all you hear.lol.

Sad thing is I haven't listened to Spice Girls, 98 degrees, LFO, N'sync, Backstreet Boys in YEARS and you could play any song by them and I would still know every single word by heart. Especially N'sync and Backstreet boys. N'sync more tho.

Dulce
11-28-2012, 05:34 AM
i used to get that band mixed up with soundgarden haha

Soundgarden and Savage Garden how the heck you managed to confused the two,lol.?!

It's One Direction and the reason I know this is because this is my best friend's little sisters favorite group. Hangout with a 9 year old this is all you hear.lol.

Sad thing is I haven't listened to Spice Girls, 98 degrees, LFO, N'sync, Backstreet Boys in YEARS and you could play any song by them and I would still know every single word by heart. Especially N'sync and Backstreet boys. N'sync more tho.

Edit: by the way, I wasn't trying to mock you just embarrassed to finally admit it on here with the folks. Haha, so here's my number call me maybe, now I am amusing myself. Who sings it anyways dunno her name but it's quite catchy and Stuff.

Awww, my cousin likeS them a lot and knows the words to that what's makes you beautiful on karaoke night. She's like 15 years old.

I still listen to old/new Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. And I sing along to their songs in my karaoke machine, lol.

Tiny Vessels
11-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Who sings it anyways dunno her name but it's quite catchy and Stuff.

I still listen to old/new Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. And I sing along to their songs in my karaoke machine, lol.

Carly Rae Jespen. I had to google it cause I didn't know it either.

I do the same thing with my karaoke machine too. lol.

Dulce
11-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Carly Rae Jespen. I had to google it cause I didn't know it either.

I do the same thing with my karaoke machine too. lol.

Thanks!

No Doubt is Not included on my list?

Teehee, but do ya do it sober or drunk?

I do it drunk cuz sober I'm sooo shy.

Just for the kicks of it though. XD

Tiny Vessels
11-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks!

No Doubt is Not included on my list?

Teehee, but do ya do it sober or drunk?

I do it drunk cuz sober I'm sooo shy.

Just for the kicks of it though. XD

At home I do it sober when no one is around. But when I do it at the bar I gotta be buzzed/drunk.

Dulce
11-28-2012, 09:41 AM
At home I do it sober when no one is around. But when I do it at the bar I gotta be buzzed/drunk.

Me too like A few shots of Jack Daniel's is the key to do the trick! Let alone Jäger shots it brings out the beast in me like wild/crazy.

Tiny Vessels
11-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Me too like A few shots of Jack Daniel's is the key to do the trick! Let alone Jäger shots it can cause a beast in me.

I can't do shots of Jack Daniel's anymore. When it comes to Jager, I prefer Jager bombs to actual shots of Jager.

Dulce
11-28-2012, 09:59 AM
I can't do shots of Jack Daniel's anymore. When it comes to Jager, I prefer Jager bombs to actual shots of Jager.

Jäger bombs I can't do it, I'll end up puking. The Worst hangover ever song by Offspring is my morning ritual anthem. I'm no party girl just can enjoy a real good time with the folks and stuff. Shooting pool is fun soberly speaking though. Haha, or else I fall down like kick him when he's down or take it like a man hehe grow some cajones. Dance fucker dance punk rock fan.

Tiny Vessels
11-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Jäger bombs I can't do it, I'll end up puking. The Worst hangover ever song by Offspring is my morning ritual anthem. I'm no party girl just can enjoy a real good time with the folks and stuff. Shooting pool is fun soberly speaking though. Haha, or else I fall down like kick him when he's down or take it like a man hehe grow some cajones. Dance fucker dance punk rock fan.

I suck at pool. I am so horrible at it, it's not even funny.

MOTO13
11-28-2012, 02:26 PM

Try tequila.

Tiny Vessels
11-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Try tequila.

I LOVE tequila, I really do. It makes me happy especially on thursday nights :)

Harleyquiiinn
11-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Staind (it was popular, right ?)

Oh and speaking of Popular, Nada Surf (although I LOVE that song. It didn't get old at all.)

and Wheatus !