PDA

View Full Version : So-called "Frankenstorm" headed this way!

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Anyone else on the east coast or the northeast of America? Get prepared for the upcoming combination hurricane/nor'easter! They are saying it could be the worst storm to hit the northeast in 100 years and is being made worse by synchronizing with the full moon. California is earthquake-ready, the the midwest is tornado-ready, and the southeast is hurricane-ready, but here in the northeast, we get caught with our pants down when hurricanes roll in. Irene did that last year. Worst we are prepared for is some heavy snow.

I feel like that pretty bad thunderstorm we had in Philadelphia one month ago the night the Offspring played at Festival Pierre was just an omen for Hurricane Bitchface here, as I so affectionately called her when talking to my friend earlier. I mean, seriously, what are the odds?!

Good luck!

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50133921n

Godxilla
10-27-2012, 07:12 AM
You live in the Northeast? Cool! Me too.
I recently rented the movie "the Perfect Storm", and I hate to say it, but I'm afraid that I might soon experience such a storm myself! Geez.

And oh, yeah, your name is Kennedy. I should've known where you lived ;). Any relation to the Catholic President?

Llamas
10-27-2012, 08:24 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269432_461252007250792_531193847_n.jpg

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 10:29 AM
You live in the Northeast? Cool! Me too.
I recently rented the movie "the Perfect Storm", and I hate to say it, but I'm afraid that I might soon experience such a storm myself! Geez.

And oh, yeah, your name is Kennedy. I should've known where you lived ;). Any relation to the Catholic President?

Good luck to you! Best go get your provisions early and avoid the lines. I'm SO not looking forward to the belligerent customers at my store today.
No, probably not related to him, but I used to get asked that all the time. I started signing my schoolpapers as "Melyssa K" when I was 8 or 9 because I was sick of all the kids asking me if I was related to him. I don't mind you asking, though.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 10:33 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/269432_461252007250792_531193847_n.jpg

Apparently, I'm totally screwed, then! XD

Tiny Vessels
10-27-2012, 11:30 AM

Looks like I'm gonna have to hit the liquor store.

bighead384
10-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Other local news: That girl that got killed (Autumn Pasquale) has a viewing a minute down the street from me at the church I went to growing up.

I almost want to drive by. It ends in like 25 minutes.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Get the liquor and hunker down 'til Halloween!

I heard about that girl. So sad.

Llamas
10-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Looks like I'm gonna have to hit the liquor store.

Wisconsin isn't included under that bubble, but as I said earlier on Facebook, Wisconsin doesn't need a reason to hit the liquor store (or, you know, grocery store/gas station/wherever you want because in WI, "liquor stores" don't exist as you can buy alcohol pretty much anywhere :D).

Tiny Vessels
10-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Wisconsin isn't included under that bubble, but as I said earlier on Facebook, Wisconsin doesn't need a reason to hit the liquor store (or, you know, grocery store/gas station/wherever you want because in WI, "liquor stores" don't exist as you can buy alcohol pretty much anywhere :D).

There are in few places that I know are actually drive-thru liquor stores. Only in Wisconsin.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Do all the WI residents have a base BAL of 0.5?

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Update: http://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricane-sandy-states-scramble-prepare-superstorm/story?id=17581606#.UI1JxsXA-WY

It's moving up the coast slowly, and is forecast to become stronger before making landfall. Today is the day before it hits. Everyone's going to be swamping the stores. People in her way: make you last preparations!

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Oh, my god, people were nuts today at my store! I work in a grocery store.
Water used to be here.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o36/Melyssa_The_Punk_Rocker/Nowater.jpg

Bread used to be here.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o36/Melyssa_The_Punk_Rocker/Nobread.jpg

Godxilla
10-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Holy wow. Those shoppers are PA RA NOID! I should just hit the liquor store, even though I don't live in that area. And despite my age.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 06:54 PM
I think they may be overreacting just slightly. Philadelphia isn't on the coast, so the only flooding we have to worry about is the Delaware River, the Schuylkill River, and the creeks in the area, and Neshaminy Creek in my neighborhood. Bread and water won't save you from falling trees!

Godxilla
10-28-2012, 07:01 PM
No, but if your house is squished, you want food and water to live on until you get shelter again.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 08:21 PM
No, but if your house is squished, you want food and water to live on until you get shelter again.

I got my food stocks, so I'm good.

Tiny Vessels
10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
My dad had to BEG my aunt and uncle who live on Long Island NY to leave. They wanted to stay to and ride the storm but with the with what the news was saying and plus they pretty much live on a pier. If you walk down the street there is the ocean. Today they got an mandatory evacuation so they went to stay with their daughter who is 1-2 hours inland. Glad they are safe.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
My dad had to BEG my aunt and uncle who live on Long Island NY to leave. They wanted to stay to and ride the storm but with the with what the news was saying and plus they pretty much live on a pier. If you walk down the street there is the ocean. Today they got an mandatory evacuation so they went to stay with their daughter who is 1-2 hours inland. Glad they are safe.

Yeah, this storm is no joke for those along the coast! I heard that 350,000 people were given mandatory evacuation orders. The storm surge is going to be massive, especially at high tide due to the full moon. Sandy's due to make that left hook soon and hit us tomorrow.

Tiny Vessels
10-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Sandy's due to make that left hook soon and hit us tomorrow.

Stay safe.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Stay safe.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll be fine. But my neighborhood loses power very easily, so I may be without power for a few days. So, if I don't post for a while, it's probably due to massive power outages, not injury or my house getting blown away. XP

WebDudette
10-28-2012, 10:57 PM
There are in few places that I know are actually drive-thru liquor stores. Only in Wisconsin.

We have drive-thru liquor stores all over and all gas stations and grocery stores sell alcohol. My favorite place to go though is Total Wine or Bevmo, basically grocery store sized liquor stores that sell all forms of liquor and beer.

I didn't know it was so hard to get liquor in other states, that's terrifying.

Little_Miss_1565
10-28-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm hearing reports of bridges washing out in NJ, anyone know if this is true? Hope everyone stays safe.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-29-2012, 02:01 AM
I don't know that. I'm watching the Weather Channel now. They haven't said anything about that. But I know pedestrian walkways are being closed on bridges for the next couple days. The wind is already gusting up to 15 mph here in Philly, I can only imagine how much faster it is on the Jersey coast.
Well, Sandy's turning north now, soon to make her east turn. Schools are closed, public transit is shut down, some work places are closed...http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201218_radar.html

Here's a photo I took of a road half a mile from my house last year when Irene hit. Neshaminy Creek flooded the road. Sandy will probably do the same thing.
http://melyssathepunkrocker.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48#/d49rumw

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-29-2012, 10:12 AM
The coast of New Jersey and New York is already surging. Low tide has come but the tide didn't go out. The storm's core has dropped in pressure and the winds have picked up speed to 90 mph...and it's headed right for me. I should sleep before it hits so I can witness it for myself. Should be about 7 hours.
The nor'easter has brought feet of snow to western Pennsylvania, Virginia and New York.
She's a 900 mile wide monster!
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/29/article-0-15BC1718000005DC-754_634x497.jpg

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-29-2012, 03:37 PM
My lights just flickered a few times, so it shouldn't be too long before I lose power. I hear that, like, 45,000 people are already without power. It's getting really windy out there (over 20 mph at times) but there isn't much rain rain, still. Anyone else in the path getting pounded? How is it where you are?

OffspringFreakess
10-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Hello fellow philly native! Im about 15-20 mins north of philly and we are getting pounded! Our usual issue with strosng storms is basement flooding. During Irene our power was out for almost three days, causing our sub pump to cut out so we had to bucket out so much water. Power is still on for now. Storm picked up heavily the past two hours. One of my friends had a 60-foot tree land on her house, her dads car.amd her brand new Pontiac G6! Ugh, its so awful. Atlantic City's boardwalk is destroyed, along with Ocean City MD's. To think i just saw the offspring play right on the AC boardwalk a few months ago! Such a shame to see. hope you still got power!

Tiny Vessels
10-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Watching the news and it is crazy to see all the damage done to the east coast. Seeing trees just snap like nothing, all the flooding and seeing the subways flooded, Atlantic City destroyed, so many people with out power, and the people dealing with all the snow that Sandy produced. Just crazy it is truly a superstorm.

nieh
10-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I've had good luck with storms like these over the years somehow always managing to avoid losing power for any real length of time, any real property damage, etc. I suspect that will stop being the case someday.
Apparently a couple towns over from where I live they had power this morning and it just shut off suddenly a couple hours ago despite the storm being over, and they're told they won't have it back for about a week. Hopefully that's not true of my town too, but I'm stuck at work right now so I won't know until I go home.

Tiny Vessels
10-30-2012, 02:07 PM
I have a bad feeling that my aunt and uncle probably lost their house on long island N.Y. The news showed a picture of their area where the canel and the pier is and it's horrible. Lucky they did evacuate. I just wish I knew how my other family members aredoing in New Jersey and other parts of New York

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-31-2012, 08:59 AM
OMG, my power JUST came back on after 40 hours! It's freakin' cold in here and I'm sure everything in our refrigerator and freezer has to be tossed! I lucked out and my neighborhood didn't get too much wind or rain. I got REALLY lucky! Sorry to hear about everyone else's misfortunes and their familes.

Godxilla
10-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Yup. I lost power for about 30 hours. But I was prepared. No missed schoolwork, no missed meals, just darkness and games of Black Ops Zombies on my iPod. Wasn't all that bad...

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Yup. I lost power for about 30 hours. But I was prepared. No missed schoolwork, no missed meals, just darkness and games of Black Ops Zombies on my iPod. Wasn't all that bad...

My math course is online, so I had no choice. :S

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-02-2012, 04:12 PM
The Red Cross and other organizations are taking money donations to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy and the Red Cross is taking blood donations due to the canceled blood drives causing a critical shortage of blood units.

There is also a telethon on tonight at 8pm EST on NBC and a bunch of other stations, featuring performances by Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, and others in order to help Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/nbc-to-show-telethon-for-hurricane-sandy-relief-effort-on-friday/

Little_Miss_1565
11-02-2012, 06:23 PM
I've heard from friends that the Red Cross' presence is really light in Staten Island and the Rockaways where the destruction is pretty incredible. I gave a few bucks to the Mayor's Fund instead today. https://www.nyc.gov/html/fund/html/donate/donate.shtml

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-02-2012, 06:37 PM
I've heard from friends that the Red Cross' presence is really light in Staten Island and the Rockaways where the destruction is pretty incredible. I gave a few bucks to the Mayor's Fund instead today. https://www.nyc.gov/html/fund/html/donate/donate.shtml

Great! You mean Red Cross isn't helping in those areas?
I'll donate some money once I get another paycheck and I'll be getting some friends together to give blood.

Godxilla
11-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Hmm, a nice ideal.
If I had money, I would donate. But then again, I would donate to lots of things.

Dulce
11-03-2012, 05:32 AM
I really feel so bad for the new York city folks. May god be with them in Jesus Christ - amen.

Godxilla
11-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I really feel so bad for the new York city folks. May god be with them in Jesus Christ - amen.

What made you such a preacher all of the sudden?