PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Products that I use

bighead384
10-27-2012, 12:25 PM
http://www.drinkdreamwater.com/
http://www.biglistofgiveaways.com/main/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/7855/Dream%20Water.jpg

I love this product and melatonin in general (which Dream Water contains). I don't think I've had trouble sleeping since I started drinking it. It's a bit expensive unless you buy in bulk or find a coupon though.

Sleep Cycle (alarm clock app): http://www.sleepcycle.com/
How it works (from site): During the night you go from light sleep to deep sleep, occasionally entering into a dream state which is called REM-sleep. These are things that your normal alarm clock does not care about, and will go off at the set time regardless of whether you are in a light sleep phase or in the deepest sleep. However, since you move differently in bed during the different phases, the Sleep Cycle alarm clock is able to use the accelerometer in your iPhone to monitor your movement and determine which sleep phase you are in. Sleep Cycle then uses a 30 minute alarm window that ends at your set alarm time and wakes you in your lightest sleep phase.

Breathe Rite Advanced:http://www.breatheright.com/products/advanced
My Jojan Joke Predictor is showing a post with either a picture of a bed or just the phrase "a bed".

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 12:33 PM
I hope you know that if you take melatonin, your brain will stop producing its own.

bighead384
10-27-2012, 12:34 PM
I hope you know that if you take melatonin, your brain will stop producing its own.
Shit. I didn't fucking know that.

Hmm, well, I'm still getting the best sleep of my life. So I guess there isn't a problem yet, and it's been like 6 months since I started using it.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Shit. I didn't fucking know that.

Hmm, well, I'm still getting the best sleep of my life. So I guess there isn't a problem yet, and it's been like 6 months since I started using it.

Yeah, your brain becomes dependent on the outside source and stops producing its own, so when you stop taking the outside source, you have more trouble sleeping than before you started. I know because I took it as a child for a couple months, but I stopped when I found out about what it does.

Llamas
10-27-2012, 04:41 PM
It's true. True of any hormone you take that your body produces naturally. It's very easy to become "addicted" to Melatonin for that reason.

I used to take sleep aids - I've tried many (Melatonin, Ambien, Unisom, some Austrian one I don't remember the name of, and a couple other US prescription ones I don't remember the names of). I still have sleep problems, but I don't take sleep aids anymore for two reasons. One is because of the dependence/addiction, as Melissa described, and the other is because the sleep you get slowly becomes less and less refreshing/real. It becomes almost artificial after time. So now I only use a sleep aid (just a very low dose of Melatonin - the other sleep aids I've taken were far stronger) now and then when I really, really need to get to sleep. That's a couple times a year now.

Oh, and that Sleep Cycle thing doesn't work unless you know exactly when you fall asleep (not when you go to bed - if you lie in bed for just 10 or 15 minutes before falling asleep, it's useless). Plus, most of us wake up in the middle of the night without even realizing/remembering it (any time you remember a dream, it means you woke up during it), which also throws the whole thing off. The only way it would work would be if you set the alarm like 1 minute before falling asleep, and slept through those hours entirely without waking up even once. It could work maybe one out of 100 times - when you're super, super beyond exhausted.

Tiny Vessels
10-27-2012, 06:54 PM
I've tried Melatonin,Unisom, and ZZZQuil. None of them worked for me. It sucks. Even when my sinuses are acting or have a cold and I take some medicine before I go to sleep it doesn't help me sleep. Oh how I love my insomnia.

Little_Miss_1565
10-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Peppermint tea and melatonin tablets from Trader Joe's are probably cheaper than that Dream Water shot stuff. But like everyone's saying, you don't want to eff too much with your natural melatonin production. (I am melatonin-challenged in a big way, but I try to rely mainly on my prescriptions for sleep, as I have for the last 8 or 9 years. I've taken a melatonin tablet a couple times a week for the last couple weeks, though.)

Have you seen a doctor about your sleep difficulties? My raging, out of control insomnia was one of my first symptoms of a much larger medical syndrome.

Tiny Vessels
10-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Have you seen a doctor about your sleep difficulties? My raging, out of control insomnia was one of my first symptoms of a much larger medical syndrome.

No I haven't I know I should though. I have a drs appointment next month so I'll probably say something then. How I look at it is that I been dealing with this for years and it's normal for me not to sleep but it has been getting worse.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 08:09 PM
You guys aren't alone in this sleep problem issue. I've had trouble falling asleep since I was a baby. At age 4 I would have bedtime at 7pm and be up until 10 or 11 and I survived on 4 hours of sleep a night during the week throughout high school. Once I'm asleep, I stay asleep and don't want to wake up, but I'd be up until 5-7am or even up all night and the next day if I didn't take ambien. But after months of taking it, you build a tolerance, so I am going to switch back to trazadone for my next script.

P.S. I once stayed up for 72 hours straight, working 36 of those hours, then slept for 30 hours, waking up only to go to the bathroom and drink some water.

Little_Miss_1565
10-27-2012, 08:39 PM
No I haven't I know I should though. I have a drs appointment next month so I'll probably say something then. How I look at it is that I been dealing with this for years and it's normal for me not to sleep but it has been getting worse.

You guys aren't alone in this sleep problem issue. I've had trouble falling asleep since I was a baby. At age 4 I would have bedtime at 7pm and be up until 10 or 11 and I survived on 4 hours of sleep a night during the week throughout high school. Once I'm asleep, I stay asleep and don't want to wake up, but I'd be up until 5-7am or even up all night and the next day if I didn't take ambien. But after months of taking it, you build a tolerance, so I am going to switch back to trazadone for my next script.

Same thing for me. I ignored my insomnia because it was just a part of my life, until I stopped sleeping altogether. The hallucinations after several days of no sleep...not recommended. Don't let it get that far!

Melyssa, I did the same thing when I was a kid. When I was 4, my mom didn't know what to do with me because I kept getting out of bed so she let me watch Twin Peaks with her. Probably explains a lot. ;)

Oh, Ambien...I took it twice. Made crazy phone calls and tried walking out of my dorm both times. I have no memory of any of it. I take Lyrica for fibromyalgia and a muscle relaxant every night for 8 or 9 years and I've slept pretty regularly every since.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Same thing for me. I ignored my insomnia because it was just a part of my life, until I stopped sleeping altogether. The hallucinations after several days of no sleep...not recommended. Don't let it get that far!

Melyssa, I did the same thing when I was a kid. When I was 4, my mom didn't know what to do with me because I kept getting out of bed so she let me watch Twin Peaks with her. Probably explains a lot. ;)

Oh, Ambien...I took it twice. Made crazy phone calls and tried walking out of my dorm both times. I have no memory of any of it. I take Lyrica for fibromyalgia and a muscle relaxant every night for 8 or 9 years and I've slept pretty regularly every since.

That's so cool that your mom let you stay up!
Insomnia isn't my problem, that's when you fall asleep but can't stay asleep. Mine is sleep on-set disorder. Can't fall asleep.
Yeah, Ambien's no joke. First time I took it, I ended up slowly kicking my feet under the covers because I thought I was swimming in water and I would forget some IM chat conversations I had because, like a dumbass, I didn't go to bed RIGHT after taking it. To this day, I see my TV and computer screen in 3D when it hits me.

Llamas
10-27-2012, 08:59 PM
That's so cool that your mom let you stay up!
Insomnia isn't my problem, that's when you fall asleep but can't stay asleep. Mine is sleep on-set disorder. Can't fall asleep.
Yeah, Ambien's no joke. First time I took it, I ended up slowly kicking my feet under the covers because I thought I was swimming in water and I would forget some IM chat conversations I had because, like a dumbass, I didn't go to bed RIGHT after taking it. To this day, I see my TV and computer screen in 3D when it hits me.

Nah, another name for sleep onset disorder is initial insomnia. I have (more in the past than now, but still) that disorder, as well. In college, I'd have zero problem staying awake for 40+ hours, and then sleeping for 19. Nowadays, I still have a whacked out sleep "schedule", but I teach only afternoons and evenings so it works out. But if I ever have to wake up in the morning, my insomnia kicks in a bit - I have a difficult time falling asleep if I'm not dead exhausted and ready for it, and then the stress of having to wake up and the time ticking down keeps me awake even more, until when I do finally pass out, it's nearly impossible to wake up. It was a SERIOUS problem in college. I went to three doctors, and they all threw sleeping pills at me. One even nervously suggested I go get my eyes checked and go to the mental health clinic. Seriously, that woman pissed me off. She clearly didn't know what was wrong with me, so she just tried to dump me off on someone else. My vision was fine and I had no signs of depression or anything, plus I've had the disorder since I was 13 or even younger. Finally, I found out about Disability Services and went there. They knew about my condition and I was SO RELIEVED because most people treated me like a loser who was just fucking lazy and didn't want to get out of bed in the morning. I actually started to believe them until I went to DS.

I made some changes in my lifestyle, though, and now it's not nearly so bad - even when I do have to wake up in the mornings. I can actually manage to get 5-6 hours of sleep in those cases (depending on how early... if I have to get up before 9am, I have to take a Melatonin to get to sleep in time). But finding the right apartment, making sure I don't do any work or computer or anything like that in bed (my bedroom is now only for sleeping and I do all my work and computer surfing and everything else in the living room), some small changes to my diet, getting more exercise, drinking a lot more water, massively cutting down coffee... these all played roles in helping me. Melissa, I definitely suggest first going to the doctor if you haven't already. If it doesn't turn out to be a symptom of something medical, then I suggest finding some disability services center where you live. They helped me a lot. And if you need any advice on dealing with initial insomnia, you can message me. I know how hard it is to deal with, and the way people treat you, etc. I don't think there are any known ways to overcome it completely, but there are ways to improve it and make it easier to deal with (besides those fucking sleeping pills...)

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-27-2012, 09:19 PM
I know how that is. My doctor told me that my type of sleeping problem isn't looked into my a sleep study, just instances where people can't stay asleep. The doctors like to say, oh, just change your habits. It's not that simple, bitch! >,<
By the way, I don't mean to nick-pick, but my name is spelled with a y, not an i. I'm not mad or anything, I just hate when my name gets misspelled. I'm sure Dexter goes through the same thing when people think his name is Brian. That's something I thought of when I first learned his real name. :P

Llamas
10-28-2012, 07:04 AM
I know how that is. My doctor told me that my type of sleeping problem isn't looked into my a sleep study, just instances where people can't stay asleep. The doctors like to say, oh, just change your habits. It's not that simple, bitch! >,<
Yeah, my doctors didn't tell me about sleep studies, either. They had no fucking clue about the condition. But I found out at disability services that there are TOTALLY studies for this. One day I'd love to participate in a sleep study for this, but I don't have the time or money for that right now, and I'm not sure they exist in Slovenia...

And yes, doctors always just tell you to change your habits. So do friends! It was always like, "Have you tried reading/going for a run/drinking warm milk/etc etc before bed?" I'd have to fight the urge to not be mad at my friends because they just didn't know, but doctors... ugh. No, I've had this problem for over 10 years and I've NEVER TRIED READING BEFORE BED!!! Genius!! :P But I can tell you that lifestyle changes *are* a part of it... they're just not the only thing. They basically make it easier to work on things, but again, there's no actual cure for the condition, and the lifestyle changes are totally trial and error. What works for someone doesn't work for someone else. I messed around with tons of changes (in addition to other stuff, of course) for years until I found some things that actually helped. But there is hope of improvement, and that's what's important :) I always felt so deflated and like I was gonna have to deal with this so badly for the rest of my life until I went to DS. I hope I'll improve even more over the years, but we'll see.

By the way, I don't mean to nick-pick, but my name is spelled with a y, not an i. I'm not mad or anything, I just hate when my name gets misspelled. I'm sure Dexter goes through the same thing when people think his name is Brian. That's something I thought of when I first learned his real name. :P
Sorry, I noticed that after I posted, but I couldn't be arsed to edit ;)

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Haha, I meant to say "nit-pick," not "nick-pick." I've been watching too much CSI.

I agree with you. I try changing some habits, like not lying horizontal or having my light off at night unless I'm trying to go to sleep. This helps slightly, but I still rely on sleeping pills. :(

personal_loans_1
10-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Few months ago I discovered f.lux http://stereopsis.com/flux/ (http://f.lux) some of you might find it useful so check it out. Might feel weird at the beginning but it passes.

Even if your sleep won't improve spectacularly, your eyes will be thankful.

Llamas
10-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Haha, I meant to say "nit-pick," not "nick-pick." I've been watching too much CSI.

I agree with you. I try changing some habits, like not lying horizontal or having my light off at night unless I'm trying to go to sleep. This helps slightly, but I still rely on sleeping pills. :(

Not lying horizontally? How do you lie when sleeping? And the light thing is HUGE. Keep experimenting. It took me YEARS before I wasn't dependent on sleeping pills, but it can get better! :) And research should be improving... but doctors are idiots about this kind of stuff. Ignore them ;)

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Not lying horizontally? How do you lie when sleeping? And the light thing is HUGE. Keep experimenting. It took me YEARS before I wasn't dependent on sleeping pills, but it can get better! :) And research should be improving... but doctors are idiots about this kind of stuff. Ignore them ;)

I mean when I'm doing homework, I lie kind of diagonal, with my head above the rest of my body. I only lie down completely with my head on my pillow when I'm ready for sleep so my brain associates being in that position with sleeping.

Llamas
10-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I mean when I'm doing homework, I lie kind of diagonal, with my head above the rest of my body. I only lie down completely with my head on my pillow when I'm ready for sleep so my brain associates being in that position with sleeping.

Oh, yeah, that's also really huge. If you do homework in bed, you shouldn't. You should only use your bed for sleeping (or sex of course) so that your bed becomes associated with sleep/positivity/comfort. Even better if you can do your homework in another room and limit your room for sleeping only, but not everyone has that option. I used to use my computer in bed every day, slept with the computer a meter or two away. Now my computer is permanently banned to the living room. At first, it was hard to not just get up and bring the computer to bed... but now I get up and go to the living room. Made a drastic difference.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Oh, yeah, that's also really huge. If you do homework in bed, you shouldn't. You should only use your bed for sleeping (or sex of course) so that your bed becomes associated with sleep/positivity/comfort. Even better if you can do your homework in another room and limit your room for sleeping only, but not everyone has that option. I used to use my computer in bed every day, slept with the computer a meter or two away. Now my computer is permanently banned to the living room. At first, it was hard to not just get up and bring the computer to bed... but now I get up and go to the living room. Made a drastic difference.

I don't do sex. I have no interest in it and I'm a weirdo because of it. :P

I wish I could, but I have such bad knees and a bad back and stuff that my bed is the only place I can do my homework in relative physical comfort.

Llamas
10-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't do sex. I have no interest in it and I'm a weirdo because of it. :P
Not weird. Asexuality is legit.

I wish I could, but I have such bad knees and a bad back and stuff that my bed is the only place I can do my homework in relative physical comfort.
A friend of mine who's like 48 or something has got really bad knees (had a tendon replaced in his knee last year, and his other knee isn't much better!!) has this amazing chair (it's kinda like this, but his is way better - his is lower, so the legs extend more straight, rather than bending down... and his is wicker, more contoured and comfortable http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120520/beach_recline_lounge_deck_chair_recycled_outdoor.j pg) so he can stay out of bed, but not cramp up his knees/back. Could look into one :)

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Thank you. When I tell people I'm asexual, they get this crazy thought that it means I'm not attracted to people. They are idiots. You can find people attractive without wanting to jump into bed with them.

Ohh, that sounds nice! Having my knees bent and using stairs is what's making my knees worse. I have chondromalacia and patellar tracking disorder.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-29-2012, 03:28 AM
See, this is what happens when you take a sleeping pill for so long. I didn't take it last night and I'm still awake at 5:30.