PDA

View Full Version : Yo

bighead384
10-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Say you have an account that you post from for a few years, and then you get banned. Then say you move down the street and get a new IP address. Or, say you only sign into the new account from another IP address that you have wireless access to. Do the mods just go with the probability that it's just you on another IP address? What if they were actually banning the innocent guy down the street who happens to be the nicest guy in the world? That would be awful. Perhaps too awful to lead to an assumption.

I mean imagine if that's how murder trials worked. Like if you just send guys to the electric chair just because they're probably guilty.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-29-2012, 12:46 AM
I already suspect that other members on the forum are going to give you a hard time about this.

Jojan
10-29-2012, 02:22 AM
I believe that it is your account that gets banned. So you could be able to just make a new account. They might ban the e-mail address that you have associated with that account. Then you would have to get a new address before making an account.

Banning an IP address is not a good way to ban someone.

Tijs
10-29-2012, 05:48 AM
There's several ways we can ban someone, meaning there's many ways to evade a ban. The thing is, people never really evade a ban that well, it's very obvious.
But if you DO evade a ban properly, don't get caught coming back and don't break any rules, then I don't really see the problem.

IP bans can indeed have innocent people being banned, so if it comes down to an IP ban and we see two or more users using the same IP, we contact both of them. Since they're using the same IP, they're also using the same computer.

Of course there's always exceptions to everything...

I mean imagine if that's how murder trials worked. Like if you just send guys to the electric chair just because they're probably guilty.Isn't that how it's usually done anyway?

bighead384
10-29-2012, 07:17 AM
But if you DO evade a ban properly, don't get caught coming back and don't break any rules, then I don't really see the problem.Interesting.

IP bans can indeed have innocent people being banned, so if it comes down to an IP ban and we see two or more users using the same IP, we contact both of them. Since they're using the same IP, they're also using the same computer.
I was caught creating and using an alt account (this one) after posting for years as endlesst0m. I remember that I was careful to A) only sign in from my laptop (I had a desktop that I would normally post from) B) Only sign in while connected to a different wireless internet connect in my area.

So technically, I could have just insisted it wasn't me. It's possible that it could have been a random guy down the street that just wanted to have a good ol' conversation on the BBS. I don't think I was threatened with any bans from the mods, but I would have still liked to get away with it!

Little_Miss_1565
10-29-2012, 09:10 AM
If I remember correctly, and this was years ago and clearly I don't have access to the moderator logs anymore, but you were allowed back because you were just a douchebag and not threatening. Which I, of course, later regretted.

bighead384
10-29-2012, 09:17 AM
If I remember correctly, and this was years ago and clearly I don't have access to the moderator logs anymore, but you were allowed back because you were just a douchebag and not threatening. Which I, of course, later regretted.
Yeah, fuck you.

Little_Miss_1565
10-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Right back atcha.

bighead384
10-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Right back atcha.

God you're lame.

Jojan
10-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Just get a room, you two.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Thank you! It's awkward seeing them bicker all the time like this. Though, I don't think you would describe it as awkward.

Little_Miss_1565
10-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Your statement is made creepier, Jojan, considering the start of his obsession was posting photos from my Facebook and saying how pretty I am.

He asked a question that I know a little something about, I answered, he responded by telling me to fuck off.

bighead384
10-29-2012, 01:29 PM
He asked a question that I know a little something about, I answered, he responded by telling me to fuck off.

Nah, I already had someone answering me. Plus, you make it sound like you HAD to respond. lol, that's crazy. And you even insulted me in the process!

Little_Miss_1565
10-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I had some information, having played a role in the decision, and I can't imagine why I'd be disinclined to be nice to you now.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
10-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Jojan was being sarcastic, I'm pretty sure. I don't see how it was creepy. But I'm going to duck out of this issue now.
It doesn't really seem to matter what I say, anyway.

_Lost_
11-01-2012, 11:06 AM
From what I've seen in the boards themselves over the years and what I've gained access to more recently, it takes effort to fly under the radar with an alt. I would imagine though, that there are a couple people who have played by the rules and not drawn attention to anything that might link them to their old account.

samseby
11-02-2012, 01:13 AM

Alternatively open a new thread just for the two of you :p

samseby
11-02-2012, 02:09 AM
[...]considering the start of his obsession was posting photos from my Facebook and saying how pretty I am. [...]

One more reason to not have a Facebook account :p;)