PDA

View Full Version : What is a lie?

bornlie
11-26-2012, 06:24 PM
What do you consider to be lying. I define a lie as telling someone something which is not true. A lie does not have to be intentional. You can do something that you do not think is deceitful and it can still be a lie if another individual sees this as not being completely upfront. You can make a debate about what is really "true" and what is not "true" but in this instance "truth" is based on observation and factual evidence. A lie for example can be , if you ask a friend to go to an Offspring concert with you and they say "no I will be busy that night I have to study for an upcoming exam", and then you go on twitter and find them on twitter for an hour on end(hey going for half the show is better than not going at all, especially when this is one of your best friends). Would you consider that lying? What if you confront them about it and they say, that it is just part of their daily routine. This is more than likely the truth but what makes it a lie is the fact they did not tell you they had to make time in their day for their "routine", and they just told you they were busy due to studying. It doesn't matter anyways because I think that studying should supersede social networking because if I had an important exam coming up I would not be messing around on twitter or whatever, I would be studying.

Godxilla
11-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Haveth we a troll here?

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-26-2012, 06:40 PM
*sigh* Why do you insist on dragging personal drama here on the forum where it doesn't belong?
Preempting your response to that: just because you didn't mention my name doesn't mean it's any less personal drama.
Also, you can't contort the definition of a word to fit what you want it to mean; the meanings of words aren't opinions. That's like a religious person saying that praying for good health is medicine. In addition to that, you also can't twist the implications of others to fit your desires when what you want it to mean wasn't actually said or made clear.
Also, it's not the end of the world tonight. Other nights exist.
*goes to read chemistry chapter 8 and occasionally tweet*

Godxilla
11-26-2012, 06:44 PM
*sigh* Why do you insist on dragging personal drama here on the forum where it doesn't belong?
Preempting your response to that: just because you didn't mention my name doesn't mean it's any less personal drama.
Also, you can't contort the definition of a word to fit what you want it to mean; the meanings of words aren't opinions. That's like a religious person saying that praying for good health is medicine.

You poor science-tortured minion. Let Dr. Richtofen help your suffering.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Nah, I'm not suffering from this. I am genetically-hardwired for things like this to not stress me out, but it is tiresome.
BTW, I don't play Call of Duty.

Godxilla
11-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Nah, I'm not suffering from this. I am genetically-hardwired for things like this to not stress me out, but it is tiresome.

Oh, okay. Nevermind that Dr.Richtofen thing then.
And are you two married or something? You bicker quite a bit, and then go right back to being friendly.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Oh, okay. Nevermind that Dr.Richtofen thing then.
And are you two married or something? You bicker quite a bit, and then go right back to being friendly.

No, but he probably wishes we were. It's the head-butting of two aspies who see the meanings of many things differently. We get along great until we happen upon a subject we have different views on, then all hell seems to break loose because we can't get the other to even understand why we think the way we do. He gets too emotional and I'm not emotional enough, which just makes things worse. I'm sorry you guys are collateral damage when the issues pop up on the forum.

Godxilla
11-26-2012, 06:56 PM
It's no problem.
In fact, it can be entertaining to listen to y'all. In a wierd way.
And on a related note, feel free to call in Dr. Richtofen to "deal with him". It would be a pleasure to deal that much pain。

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
It's no problem.
In fact, it can be entertaining to listen to y'all. In a wierd way.
And on a related note, feel free to call in Dr. Richtofen to "deal with him". It would be a pleasure to deal that much pain。

Haha hah! That legitimately made me giggle out loud. Thanks for that. I can be a big bitch, but I would not do such a thing. He makes my Greg K gifs when I tell him which clip I want! XD

Godxilla
11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Haha hah! That legitimately made me giggle out loud. Thanks for that. I can be a big bitch, but I would not do such a thing. He makes my Greg K gifs when I tell him which clip I want! XD

Hmm. Maybe he is worth saving after all. I know of nothing better than a Greg K gif.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Hmm. Maybe he is worth saving after all. I know of nothing better than a Greg K gif.

^,^ I'll PM them to you (if gifs show in PM's) so I don't slow the connection of those that would be interested to read this silly thread.

WebDudette
11-27-2012, 03:11 AM
You three are cute.

I never thought about it that way bornlie. I guess next time I don't hang out with someone because of work, I'll also have to mention that I'll probably take a shit, urinate a couple times, have some dinner, spend a bit of time on facebook, and I might even play video games a little bit. I guess I just never considered how terrible it was to not tell my friends every little thing I foresee myself doing instead of hanging out with them. Question, if something comes up that I hadn't originally told them about, should I contact them immediately, or can I just wait and inform them later?

bornlie
11-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Haveth we a troll here?

so bighead can ask dumb questions and cause chaos but I can't post a serous question?

I am not calling anyone out here, I am just asking how you guys view lying and deception.

bornlie
11-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Also, you can't contort the definition of a word to fit what you want it to mean; the meanings of words aren't opinions. That's like a religious person saying that praying for good health is medicine. In addition to that, you also can't twist the implications of others to fit your desires when what you want it to mean wasn't actually said or made clear.
Also, it's not the end of the world tonight. Other nights exist.

Exactly, you can't contort the definitions of words. Some individuals do contort the definitions of words. They may not mean to but they do. My conclusion is that we all have definitions of certain words, some of us even have definitions that shift, while others stick to a more strict adherence to meanings. I personally stick to a more strict definition when it comes to stuff like honestly, truth, lying, justice, and so forth. This is why I do not like politics, politicians lie and they never admit it, or even realize they are lying. I think Obama is a liar while other people do not. They change their opinions when in a position of trust, and when in a position of trust people should be careful in constantly changing what they say and mean. Politicians also sometimes forget what they said and later on their words come across to lies as others. I do not contort or twist anything, I tell it like it is.

Also i brought this here because I think it is a fascinating subject. I also think that having the subject here allows you and others to see it when you otherwise wouldn't have even given it a chance.

Harleyquiiinn
11-27-2012, 08:31 AM
I think that your first post is extremely judgmental.

If someone feels too busy to go to a concert and spend an entire night not studying, and then finds it hard and procrastinates it is not your business at all.

You can't judge people on how they want to use their time. And it's definitely not a lie if the person who said she was busy actually felt busy when she told you.

I've done this a thousand times, tell my friends I couldn't go out because I needed to study. And then waste my night watching South Park. But I've always been honest when I said I wanted to study.

You must have a military discipline to consider this a lie.

Edit : Also, like Webdudette said.

Alison
11-27-2012, 09:07 AM
If I got a euro everytime I told someone I couldn't hang out because I was doing my thesis, when in actual fact I ended up watching some program I didn't even like or sitting on my bed panicking about said thesis, I'd....no, I wouldn't be rich, but I'd have at least 20.

randman21
11-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Can't be bothered reading past the first few posts. bornlie, stop bringing your personal stuff with MK to the bbs, por favor. 1) It's none of our business, 2) it's incredibly dickish, and 3) you two are just going to make up in five minutes anyway. I guess we wouldn't have known it was about her if she hadn't said so, but still...it's between you and her.

Furthermore, she's right and you're wrong.

bornlie
11-27-2012, 10:39 AM
I think that your first post is extremely judgmental.

If someone feels too busy to go to a concert and spend an entire night not studying, and then finds it hard and procrastinates it is not your business at all.

You can't judge people on how they want to use their time. And it's definitely not a lie if the person who said she was busy actually felt busy when she told you.

I've done this a thousand times, tell my friends I couldn't go out because I needed to study. And then waste my night watching South Park. But I've always been honest when I said I wanted to study.

You must have a military discipline to consider this a lie.

Edit : Also, like Webdudette said.

why not just say "Oh yeah I can spare a little time today"? Wouldn't that make things a lot easier. If you know you are not someone who is dedicated to doing homework or writing your paper and will end up wasting time anyways why not have fun and waste time? No one is judging anyone here, I am just saying I happen to see the "truth" and "lying" in a certain way and I am asking how you see it.

If I got a euro everytime I told someone I couldn't hang out because I was doing my thesis, when in actual fact I ended up watching some program I didn't even like or sitting on my bed panicking about said thesis, I'd....no, I wouldn't be rich, but I'd have at least €20.

What's the point though? Why not plan things out. Have more disciple and do your work in the time you put aside? Yeah, I may be pretty OCD when it comes to stuff like time, planning and the meaning of "lying" but hey I get stuff done and have fun instead of wasting my time panicking about a thesis. Why panic about something when you can be doing. In fact, I would probably put aside 20 minutes in my day just for forum posting, facebook and twitter, so I can know how my day will be, how much time I will have for homework. It is all about deadlines, and making time for fun, not fun making time for you. I believe this ties into what I said before with lying. My OCD gives me that strict, "military" sense of honor, time, and other sense of definitions.

Can't be bothered reading past the first few posts. bornlie, stop bringing your personal stuff with MK to the bbs, por favor. 1) It's none of our business, 2) it's incredibly dickish, and 3) you two are just going to make up in five minutes anyway. I guess we wouldn't have known it was about her if she hadn't said so, but still...it's between you and her.

If you can't be bothered to read the entire thread then why bother posting? This is not personal, it is more like a survey of philosophical rhetoric.You have seen her in other threads, for instance the thread where she was arguing with webdudete about Bra's. She can be hasty and does not always adhere to logic and reason(I apologize to those I jumped on in that thread). I just want to have an intellectual conversation here about what you believe constitute's a lie, that's all, nothing else.

Godxilla
11-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Ouch. Poor Bornlie, he just got the M72 LAW laid down on him. Ka-boom.

Harleyquiiinn
11-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Because not everyone works that way. I know That i need the procrastination to be efficient (you could also say That i need last minute panic...) and to answer your question, if i go out when i have to work, i will simply feel tensed and guilty and will not enjoy it.
I think you might actually be an exception here because most people i know acted exactly like me when they were students... And i maintain That it has absolutely nothing to do with lying.

Alison
11-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Exactly. Although I set time aside for my thesis, it doesn't mean that I'll be motivated at that time, or whatever. I wouldn't say it's "lying", that's just a bit ridiculous. If my friends got annoyed at me over stupid shit like that, they could go fuck themselves.

And I don't like planning out my day like that.

randman21
11-27-2012, 01:16 PM
If you can't be bothered to read the entire thread then why bother posting?

Well, I posted to ask that you not talk about your fights with MK here. She clearly didn't consent to it. At least ask her permission next time.

I believe this ties into what I said before with lying. My OCD gives me that strict, "military" sense of honor, time, and other sense of definitions.

But you do realize not everyone has OCD? You can't hold someone to the standards of your disorder. Anyway, the thing about your situation is...how long does it take to tweet? A few seconds, then you get back to work? I'm sure that if MK could instantly teleport to the show for a song or so, then get back to work, she would rather do that than tweet. But it takes a lot of time and effort to get ready for the show, travel to and from it, and sit in the crowd. Plus money and getting in the mindset of going out (though that could just be for lazy folk like me). All told, at least three hours. Which is three hours with absolutely no study time, as opposed to the same amount of time, with short breaks. It wasn't a lie because she probably spent most of the time doing what she said she would. The one thing I will give you is that I would never choose studying over Offspring. :confused:

_Lost_
11-27-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm of the group of people who always means to do something, but never gets around to it till I'm down to the wire.

bornlie
11-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Exactly. Although I set time aside for my thesis, it doesn't mean that I'll be motivated at that time, or whatever. I wouldn't say it's "lying", that's just a bit ridiculous. If my friends got annoyed at me over stupid shit like that, they could go fuck themselves.

And I don't like planning out my day like that.

So if you are having a day where you think you may not feel like doing it why not put it off for another day? please share your definition of lying :)

Well, I posted to ask that you not talk about your fights with MK here. She clearly didn't consent to it. At least ask her permission next time.

But you do realize not everyone has OCD? You can't hold someone to the standards of your disorder. Anyway, the thing about your situation is...how long does it take to tweet? A few seconds, then you get back to work? I'm sure that if MK could instantly teleport to the show for a song or so, then get back to work, she would rather do that than tweet. But it takes a lot of time and effort to get ready for the show, travel to and from it, and sit in the crowd. Plus money and getting in the mindset of going out (though that could just be for lazy folk like me). All told, at least three hours. Which is three hours with absolutely no study time, as opposed to the same amount of time, with short breaks. It wasn't a lie because she probably spent most of the time doing what she said she would. The one thing I will give you is that I would never choose studying over Offspring. :confused:

This was not personal. If i wanted to bring a personal issue to here i would simply title a thread with the person's thread I wanted to call out or I would include their name in the thread. I do not BS, I am upfront. She think's this is personal because we had a discussion about lying and I happen to have a different opinion. I have OCD and Aspergers syndrome, these two things make me view words and definition in a more black and white, concrete sense. I know other's are not like this and this is why I am posting this thread.....
The discussion I had with her made me wonder as to how others saw this concept. I was just curious as to the opinions of others since we all have different views and backgrounds seeing as how this forum is worldwide. I am always trying to learn from other's in order to better myself. I have some friends that have as strict codes of morality and strict guidelines on what they call lying. Even when these friends and I disagree on what "lying" is we still agree that an individual who turns another person down due to a reason that is potentially not important(as you can tell by the time wasting), is thought to be unreliable. My definition of lying is probably not to far off from my definition of "unreliable" but the two do go hand in hand a lot of the time in my opinion.

Alison
11-27-2012, 03:14 PM
So if you are having a day where you think you may not feel like doing it why not put it off for another day? please share your definition of lying :)

Well let's just say that if someone were to ask me to hang out while I had work to do (whether or not I'd end up doing it), I'd say "not tonight, I'm going to try work on whatever". Just because I don't end up doing something doesn't make me a liar, it just means that I didn't get around to doing what I had planned. And everyone I know does this too. It's normal.

Lying would be me saying that no, I plan on doing work or whatever, without having any intention of doing work. And even at that, who cares. I've sometimes said that I can't come out, and use my thesis as an excuse, and just sit at home doing nothing, not even attempting to work on my thesis. It's no big deal.

Other lies can be a big deal, but not in this scenario.

Llamas
11-27-2012, 03:20 PM
My god, you two are tiresome. This is just obnoxious.

And yes, the definitions of words can totally be debated. They are not concrete, they are not solid facts. They are not like 1 + 1 = 2. They're not completely without ANY structure, but most words' meanings can be discussed and disagreed on.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Exactly, you can't contort the definitions of words. Some individuals do contort the definitions of words. They may not mean to but they do. My conclusion is that we all have definitions of certain words, some of us even have definitions that shift, while others stick to a more strict adherence to meanings. I personally stick to a more strict definition when it comes to stuff like honestly, truth, lying, justice, and so forth. This is why I do not like politics, politicians lie and they never admit it, or even realize they are lying. I think Obama is a liar while other people do not. They change their opinions when in a position of trust, and when in a position of trust people should be careful in constantly changing what they say and mean. Politicians also sometimes forget what they said and later on their words come across to lies as others. I do not contort or twist anything, I tell it like it is.

Also i brought this here because I think it is a fascinating subject. I also think that having the subject here allows you and others to see it when you otherwise wouldn't have even given it a chance.

Your personal definitions only apply to you, not the world around you. You can't just enforce your views on everyone else, or you'd be like those people who shove religion down others' throats.
Dude, you do not contort the definition of a lie?
Here are the definitions.
noun
1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
2. something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture.
3. an inaccurate or false statement.
4. the charge or accusation of lying.

verb
5. to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive.
6. to express what is false; convey a false impression.

You choose only to apple 3 to me. If that were all it took for something to be a lie, then if you asked me how the weather was and I said sunny, then a few minutes later it became overcast, I would have lied. Or if you asked me what my favorite food was and I say hot dogs, forgetting about ice cream, then that's a lie too. Or, god forbid you ask me what the life span of a wolf is and I give you the life span of a captive wolf when you wanted the life span of a wild wolf. Or even if I said I would be online the next day, but realized I had a doctor's appointment and didn't show up. That's a lie just because I didn't tell you about the appointment when I realized I had it? It makes no sense and isn't fair.
Uhh, seems like your plan backfired. I have not read one response from the others that agree with how you see it. So I'm not the problem here. Though, I haven't read page 3, yet.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-27-2012, 03:42 PM
My god, you two are tiresome. This is just obnoxious.

And yes, the definitions of words can totally be debated. They are not concrete, they are not solid facts. They are not like 1 + 1 = 2. They're not completely without ANY structure, but most words' meanings can be discussed and disagreed on.

How am I tiresome? I never post shit like this on the forum.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
11-27-2012, 03:45 PM

Oh, that didn't happen. He pulled in elements of an nonexistant story and mingled it with what really happened...*gasp* My god, he LIED!
I put studying in front of Offspring only if it's not something that is happening live. If it's a web video, I may watch and then study or I might decide to watch it later. If it's a live stream or a concert, I put that before everything else.

WebDudette
11-27-2012, 06:20 PM
I really wanted bornlie to reply to my post, so I didn't say this early, but it doesn't look like he'll be replying. Anyway, Im not the only one who finds this kind of behavior a little frightening and an indication of him being creepily obsessive right?

Tiny Vessels
11-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Anyway, Im not the only one who finds this kind of behavior a little frightening and an indication of him being creepily obsessive right?

Yeah same here. Very obsessive.

The_Astronomer
11-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Lying is when you deliberately bend the truth or give an account that is misleading on purpose. Scenarios are like when someone like a police officer asks you for your name and address and you give a totally different name and address than your actual that is lying. Also acting like you had no involvement in a crime when you did really thats lying, all this is known as obstruction. Other cases are exaggerating where you might give slightly big or smaller than actual figure, e.g slightly higher exam score than you actually got, and you weren't sure about it, thats not lying. Like name and address asked by authority deliberately, giving false information is lying - as exaggerating is just giving an indication on what is true but not deemed as lying.

MOTO13
11-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Lying...in it's simplest form, is purposeful deception from the truth.

Llamas
11-28-2012, 11:51 AM
How am I tiresome? I never post shit like this on the forum.

Did you have to reply to him on a public forum? Literally nobody here knew it was about you until you replied. He started it, but you've been just as instrumental in making this into a thing.

I really wanted bornlie to reply to my post, so I didn't say this early, but it doesn't look like he'll be replying. Anyway, Im not the only one who finds this kind of behavior a little frightening and an indication of him being creepily obsessive right?

Correct. Very creepy.

bornlie
11-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Did you have to reply to him on a public forum? Literally nobody here knew it was about you until you replied. He started it, but you've been just as instrumental in making this into a thing.

Correct. Very creepy.

I honestly was just trying to see how other people saw "lying" in general. I did not mention her name, and I even changed the story around a little bit, but she then replied and made it directed towards herself. I didn't think the situation was even severe enough to start crap, and even if I was going to start crap I wouldn't do it on a public forum.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
12-01-2012, 07:04 AM
I honestly was just trying to see how other people saw "lying" in general. I did not mention her name, and I even changed the story around a little bit, but she then replied and made it directed towards herself. I didn't think the situation was even severe enough to start crap, and even if I was going to start crap I wouldn't do it on a public forum.

The thing that made it worst was your timing. You made the thread almost immediately after what happened. It just felt like a giant slap in my face. It would not have been nearly as bad if you had waited a couple days. It just felt like you were venting about the problem on here just after it happened because you didn't want to talk to me.

Jojan
12-07-2012, 04:04 AM
A "lie" in English would be a "scythe".

Dulce
12-07-2012, 02:06 PM
"Once a liar, always a liar?!"

Lousy lies. Tell the truth, even if it hurts the person.

Be honest and sincere don't let emotional feelings get the best of you.

Work thIngs out, be friends again.

Dulce
12-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Lying...in it's simplest form, is purposeful deception from the truth.

Yep, what he said.

Little_Miss_1565
12-08-2012, 01:49 AM
and even if I was going to start crap I wouldn't do it on a public forum.

Isn't that exactly what you do every time you get mad at Melyssa?

samseby
12-08-2012, 03:15 AM
[...]Tell the truth, even if it hurts the person.[...]
Good luck with that.

Dulce
12-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Good luck with that.

Dude, good luck???? I am cursed with bad luck. Karma!!!!