PDA

View Full Version : Against Me! and their new album

RageAndLov
02-10-2013, 06:51 PM
So AM! is at it again, Transgender Dysphoria Blues is the title of the new record, and it is the first record with a female vocalist. The band has left major label Sire and will self-release the record through their own record label.

Also, Atom Willard is the new drummer of the band after the last drummer quit the band. Some of you may know Atom Willard from being a drummer for Offspring. It would seem like AM! has the same problem with drummer as the Offspring has as AM! has had 3 different drummers in 3 years.

jacknife737
02-17-2013, 07:55 PM
This one is probably my most anticipated album of the year.

Some of the "new" tracks that i've heard live have been fantastic - the title track, and "Black Me Out" (should it make it the final cut). Against Me! Is one of my favorite bands and I've always love their lyrics, but i'm particularly excited to hear this one due to it's theme's subject matter and its relation to Laura's recent announcement concerning her personal life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMh4DclBNJg
-though based on other more recent videos, the album version will be electric and involve the full band.

cool 2 hate 681
02-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Also, Atom Willard is the new drummer of the band after the last drummer quit the band. Some of you may know Atom Willard from being a drummer for Offspring. It would seem like AM! has the same problem with drummer as the Offspring has as AM! has had 3 different drummers in 3 years.

I don't think The Offspring have that problem they have had 3 drummers in the last 25 years

jacknife737
02-17-2013, 08:48 PM
It was a pity that Jay Weinberg (the guy they had before Atom) didn't end up being a good fit. He brought a lot of energy to their live performances.

I really like Atom as a drummer, but i really wish he'd just pick a band and stick with it. This whole "hired gun" thing is wearing a bit thin with me. It's hard to get excited when he joins a new band, since most likely he'll be gone in a few months.

cool 2 hate 681
02-17-2013, 08:55 PM
It was a pity that Jay Weinberg (the guy they had before Atom) didn't end up being a good fit. He brought a lot of energy to their live performances.

I really like Atom as a drummer, but i really wish he'd just pick a band and stick with it. This whole "hired gun" thing is wearing a bit thin with me. It's hard to get excited when he joins a new band, since most likely he'll be gone in a few months.

I think he might be out of the band before they go on tour with bad religion next month

RageAndLov
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM

This. I saw Jay Weinberg with AM! live last year, and he is so energetic that he makes the rest of the band look damn lazy. He sings along to most of the music, even though he doesn't have a mic.

Retard
02-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Looking forward to seeing them next month with Bad Religion. I'm actually more excited to see them than bad religion.

cool 2 hate 681
02-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Transgender Dysphoria Blues is the title of the new record

it should be called ''Reinventing Tom Gabel'' :p

RageAndLov
02-20-2013, 10:37 PM
it should be called ''Reinventing Tom Gabel'' :p

That album is already made by the band Against Us!. It was band playing mock songs and covered old AM! songs when the band had signed to Fat Wreck.

Llamas
02-21-2013, 04:01 AM
I don't think The Offspring have that problem they have had 3 drummers in the last 25 years
We're counting from when the main drummer left, though. So the Offspring has had three drummers (four if you count Freese, which I do) in the last 9 years. That is a very similar problem, though 3 drummers in three years is more drastic. And Against Me! had the same drummer from 2001 to 2009.

I feel like he's just trying to get famous. The Offspring turned out to be pretty washed up and not out to make huge waves anymore... Angels and Airwaves drowned in their own pretension... Against Me! is growing in popularity and making a lot of news due to Laura... so he very well might be looking for a ride to fame. And I agree, it's annoying. Just stick with a band.

I watched that live video... I guess Laura hasn't had voice therapy or taken hormones for that yet, because I was expecting her to not sound exactly the same as she did before :P I also find it kind of refreshing that she's isn't overly feminine. I don't have a problem with femininity, but every single trans person I've ever met or seen went overboard with makeup, dresses, colorful nails, and pink everything... it was like they were 12 again. I think it's awesome to see someone transition in a way that seems to suit *them* and not go with expectations.

Also, I never realized that Willard's first name is actually Adam, and he just goes by Atom... he just got even lamer in my eyes.

RageAndLov
02-21-2013, 09:30 AM
We're counting from when the main drummer left, though. So the Offspring has had three drummers (four if you count Freese, which I do) in the last 9 years. That is a very similar problem, though 3 drummers in three years is more drastic. And Against Me! had the same drummer from 2001 to 2009.

I feel like he's just trying to get famous. The Offspring turned out to be pretty washed up and not out to make huge waves anymore... Angels and Airwaves drowned in their own pretension... Against Me! is growing in popularity and making a lot of news due to Laura... so he very well might be looking for a ride to fame. And I agree, it's annoying. Just stick with a band.

I watched that live video... I guess Laura hasn't had voice therapy or taken hormones for that yet, because I was expecting her to not sound exactly the same as she did before :P I also find it kind of refreshing that she's isn't overly feminine. I don't have a problem with femininity, but every single trans person I've ever met or seen went overboard with makeup, dresses, colorful nails, and pink everything... it was like they were 12 again. I think it's awesome to see someone transition in a way that seems to suit *them* and not go with expectations.

Also, I never realized that Willard's first name is actually Adam, and he just goes by Atom... he just got even lamer in my eyes.

If you remember the MTV video in the other Laura Jane Grace thread where she showed her wardrobe, I thought Laura had turned very feminine, as if to overcompensate her femininity.

And I agree with your thoughts on Atom. Why is he in every band there is a spot available?

cool 2 hate 681
02-21-2013, 11:38 AM

wow really? atom was his stage name in rocket from the crypt

Llamas
02-21-2013, 11:44 AM
wow really? atom was his stage name in rocket from the crypt

What are you "wow really"ing? The fact that I didn't know that? I'd never heard of him til he joined the Offspring.

cool 2 hate 681
02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
What are you "wow really"ing? The fact that I didn't know that? I'd never heard of him til he joined the Offspring.

I don't know I just thought it was common knowledge if your a offspring fan like how Dexter's real name is Bryan

Llamas
02-21-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't know I just thought it was common knowledge if your a offspring fan like how Dexter's real name is Bryan

I was a huge fan of the Offspring from about 1998 until 2003. I saw the band live in 2003, with Atom, and was very disappointed, plus I didn't care much for Splinter. My love for the band started to dwindle - and then I bought the CMVC used in 2006 and it spurred me to come to the BBS to find out when the next album was going to come out, but I was no longer that into them. Atom joined right around the same time I stopped caring much about the band, so while I knew Dexter's and Noodles' real names because I was obsessed with the band in 1998, I didn't care enough to look up details about Atom. :P

Omni
02-21-2013, 12:43 PM

He's essentially a Diet Josh Freese, in my opinion. I didn't think he fit in very well with the Offspring when he joined for some reason, so I wasn't particularly sad to see him leave for AVA.

cool 2 hate 681
02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
I was I think it hurt the band when he left

I was a huge fan of the Offspring from about 1998 until 2003. I saw the band live in 2003, with Atom, and was very disappointed, plus I didn't care much for Splinter. My love for the band started to dwindle - and then I bought the CMVC used in 2006 and it spurred me to come to the BBS to find out when the next album was going to come out, but I was no longer that into them. Atom joined right around the same time I stopped caring much about the band, so while I knew Dexter's and Noodles' real names because I was obsessed with the band in 1998, I didn't care enough to look up details about Atom. :P

ok that makes sense :)

Alison
02-22-2013, 04:27 AM
I must say, I much prefer their earlier albums to the later ones, so I'm not very excited. But I guess it will be interesting either way.

RageAndLov
02-22-2013, 08:07 AM
I must say, I much prefer their earlier albums to the later ones, so I'm not very excited. But I guess it will be interesting either way.

I think everyone does. Except the band. Their records keep getting worse and worse chronologically. It goes like this:
1. Reinventing Axl Rose
2. As the Eternal Cowboy
3. Searching for a Former Clarity
4. New Wave
5. White Crosses.

I did not include the EPs which you can put in here and there (all above Searching for a Former Clarity though).
I love Reinventing Axl Rose so much, it is one of my favourite records of all time and I just can't let go of AM! because I KNOW they can make so much great music, they just choose not to. I have given up the hope of them making music as good as even As the Eternal Cowboy, but I hope they will break this trend of releasing out worse records chronologically and that the new album will be better than White Crosses.

jacknife737
02-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Searching For a Former Clarity
Reinventing Axel Rose
White Crosses
New Wave
Eternal Cowboy*

*Though Sink, Florida, Sink is probably their best song.

They have yet to make anywhere close to a bad album in my mind.

Retard
02-23-2013, 11:41 AM
I honestly don't think they like White Crosses that much. I think supposedly they had one more album on their contract with Sire. I still havent heard "Reinventing", one of these days I'll get around to it.

RageAndLov
02-23-2013, 07:36 PM
White Crosses would have been twice as good had they included a lot of b-sides and alternative versions of some songs which are found on Black Crosses.

Had they included Strip Mall Parking Lots, Hot Shots (an incredibly great song with awesome lyrics), Soul Surrender, switch the White Crosses version of Spanish Moss with the Black Crosses version and removed Because of the Shame and Western World from White Crosses, then it would have been a much better album.

jacknife737
02-24-2013, 01:45 PM
^ Funny, Because of the Shame is actually my favorite song on the album.

The only real substitution between White and Black Crosses i'd consider would be to switch We're Breaking Up with David Johansen's Soul. Though, the more I think about it, i still don't think i'd be in favor of such a move considering We're Breaking Up fits in very well with the album's overall "80s influence" sound, while David Johansen's Soul while a great song, seems like it would fit better on say the Eternal Cowbody given its more folkish sound.

RageAndLov
02-24-2013, 04:37 PM
^ Funny, Because of the Shame is actually my favorite song on the album.

The only real substitution between White and Black Crosses i'd consider would be to switch We're Breaking Up with David Johansen's Soul. Though, the more I think about it, i still don't think i'd be in favor of such a move considering We're Breaking Up fits in very well with the album's overall "80s influence" sound, while David Johansen's Soul while a great song, seems like it would fit better on say the Eternal Cowbody given its more folkish sound.

Oh yeah, We're Breaking Up, I dislike that song too. I agree it has that sound, and a sappy love/breaking up theme. I guess I just don't like that and hence I don't like the album very much. I also hate how overproduced some things are. I hope they are done with Butch Vig because he knows how to ruin a good song with dubbing the shit out of everything. I like Black Crosses better because it sounds more real or cleaner instead of fake dubbing and amplified shit.

cool 2 hate 681
03-04-2013, 01:02 PM
the tour with bad religion is off because they don't have a drummer

Retard
03-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Yea I'm pretty fucking bummed about them dropping off the tour. I was mainly going for them. I like Bad Religion and all but I've seen them like a bunch of times, I don't really need to see them again.

RageAndLov
03-11-2013, 09:37 PM
The big question is of course, will they use the word "aesthetic" on this record?

RageAndLov
05-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Andrew Seward has left AM!. No drama. Laura is talking about breaking up the band:
http://againstme.net/post/49440670355/from-andrew-james-and-laura

jacknife737
05-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Pretty bummed about it. I don't think he contributed much in terms of songwriting with the band, but he was always such a fantastic presence in the live performances.