PDA

View Full Version : Do christians believe in re-incarnation?

offsprung
02-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Because wouldn't heaven eventually get full? Wouldn't re-incarnation be a good thing?

Iddy
02-22-2005, 01:26 PM
no... they believe in a life after death but not in this world. After death the soul lives for eternity.

heaven isn't a place... so it can never get full. heaven is the concept of eternal life.

offsprung
02-22-2005, 01:35 PM
so basically you keep going through a cycle of lives. without consiously knowing it?

Iddy
02-22-2005, 01:37 PM
its not a cycle...

its this one life... then when you die your soul lives for eternity

pulse
02-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Some Christians I know believe in re-incarnation

ninth
02-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Some Christians I know believe in re-incarnation
Then, simply put, they think in direct contradiction to their own beliefs.

Iddy
02-22-2005, 02:28 PM
first off....

what i said is the ideal belief... christian teaching states that. Alterations to this is up to the individual.

If you believe in the christian faith, but instead beleive that when u die you come back in another form.... thats your belief.

second...

no religion is set in stone... if you don't beleive something about the faith, then what u believe is not contradiction to that faith (if that makes sense.)

acgc2002
02-22-2005, 02:32 PM
I donīt believe in re-encarnation.

Iddy
02-22-2005, 02:34 PM
i don't either.... i don't even believe in eternal life. This life is what we have... use it well.

wheelchairman
02-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Of course Christians don't believe in re-incarnation. As Ninth perfectly phrased it, that would be perfectly contradictory to their belief.

Not even Jesus was re-incarnated, he was 'resurrected', and that was because he was the foretold Son of God destined to rescue mankind.

Heaven will never get full in Christian theology. You're talking about people who think that God sits on a top-less throne, how could heaven get full? Don't bother thinking about it, it lacks logic and that's where faith comes in.

offsprung
02-22-2005, 03:01 PM
its not a cycle...

eternity is a long time. which i don't get. we're put on earth for a few years then basically... well nothing?

Iddy
02-22-2005, 03:05 PM
eternal life with god.... thats the doctrine.. take it or leave it

(not meant to sound bitchy.... :P)

SexFoam
02-22-2005, 03:47 PM
I'll leave it. Who the hell would want to lump themselves in with those brain-washed, leave your logic at the door drones? Not me, I prefer to do my own thinking!

Offspring Pyro
02-22-2005, 04:42 PM
i will definetly take it. I do not believe in reincarnation

sk8ter-hater
02-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I think Christians believe only on being safe from hell instead of God's teachings.

leo3375
02-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Christians don't believe in reincarnation but instead believe that your soul will live for eternity, its fate determined by how you lived your life. Some people think that by just accepting Christ they automatically get into Heaven. If that's the case, then a mass murderer who becomes a born-again Christian while in prison can get into Heaven while an atheist who lived a peaceful and compassionate life is condemned to Hell. Being raised Catholic, there's more to getting into Heaven than simply accepting Christ. It's about how you live your life and treat your fellow beings.

Christianity is very focused on the End of Days. Interestingly enough, every religion has its own take on how the world will end, but only in Christianity is it an integral part of the belief system. Basically, when Christ returns, war between Heaven and Hell will break out at Armageddon. The dead will rise and go before God, where they will either enjoy eternity in paradise or be sent to the depths of Hell. This is why Christians bury their dead, although many are opting for cremation or donating their bodies to science.

Radi0_havana52
02-22-2005, 08:48 PM
its not a cycle...

that sounds boring

offsprung
02-23-2005, 04:00 PM
so this is where the quote life is short would come in at.
i've always wanted to know what it would be like to die.
i mean, yeah you go to heaven or hell.
but do you do anything?
or is your mind just blank.

ninth
02-24-2005, 12:26 AM
I'll leave it. Who the hell would want to lump themselves in with those brain-washed, leave your logic at the door drones? Not me, I prefer to do my own thinking!
That's the most senseless thing you could possibly say. Brainwashed and leave your logic at the door? Although that may be the case sometimes, intelligent people can also have faith. Way to make yourself look ignorant.

Strider
02-24-2005, 03:43 AM
I think SexFoam referred to those people who annoyngly believe EVERYTHING in their lives to be God's will. Dammit, we are the ones who make our fate. God does control us, but we must work and etc.

Kitten
02-24-2005, 04:01 AM
A christian friend of mine once answered this question. No, they do not believe in reincarnation. It is apart of their faith.
From the impression I got, there are three places you can go after death (ok, a lot more, but I am not getting into the different levels of hell etc.). Heaven, Limbo or Hell.
There isn't really a lot for argument with God there.
However I may be wrong, but I am not a christian, so feel free to correct me.

ninth
02-24-2005, 04:26 AM
Your friend must be Catholic.

Kitten
02-24-2005, 05:27 AM
Your friend must be Catholic.

The heaven, limbo and hell part, or the faith part?

ninth
02-24-2005, 05:33 AM
The Purgatory part.

Kitten
02-24-2005, 05:41 AM
The Purgatory part.

That was my own impression about the issue.
This is going to sound bad, but I know very little about religion in general. I was raised by two athiests, so I never really had a lot of exposure.

"Like a lovely generator"
02-24-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm a Buddhist. The Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianist, Islam) all believe in some kind of afterlife with God (Heaven and Hell and all that). Christians vary between groups. Catholics, three states of being after death, protestants, mainly believe in two, a heaven and hell but, don't forget, some none literalist christians don't believe in anything to do with an afterlife. Of the other three major world religions, most Buddhists do the re-incarnation thing, so do lots of Hindus. No idea what Seiks believe but they're a Hindu off-shoot religion so probably re-incarnation. All religions vary so much but it's all interesting. Hope i've answered the question. Anyone got questions about religion, I know quite a lot aout it.