PDA

View Full Version : Favorite authors/books?

JohnnyNemesis
02-28-2005, 10:46 AM
What are your favorite authors/books, friends? Or any favorite writers at all?

I really like James Baldwin. Notes of a Native Son is some of the most beautiful writing I've ever come across. Every little paragraph is so intense.

J.D. Salinger, Jamaica Kincaid, Zora Neale Hurston, Langston Hughes, and Piri Thomas are among my other favorites.

Anyway, share yours.

Punky Dudess
02-28-2005, 10:48 AM
don't usually read books but, mi favourite author is Stephen King, and the best book i think he's written was ......... pet cemetary.

JohnnyNemesis
02-28-2005, 10:53 AM
^Good call on Hawthorne, as I'm quite fond of what I've read so far. I haven't really read much though, but I've enjoyed it. Young Goodman Brown, the story I'm sure everyone's sick of by now, is one of my faves.

BuddyHolly
02-28-2005, 10:54 AM
George Orwell - 1984
Michael Moore - Stupid White Man (it's not really objective, but it's fun though)

original_psycho
02-28-2005, 10:55 AM
My favourite writers are Stephen King and John Saul.
And my favourite books are It and The Shining by Stephen King and The Blackstone Chronicles and Comes the Blind Fury by John Saul.

JohnnyNemesis
02-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Great feedback, everyone, and thanks! Keep it coming :D

And Duskygrin, you should try to read Young Goodman Brown whenever you can. It's a short story, and even though it's pretty deep, it might be an easy read. I'd love to know what you think of it, since you enjoy Hawthorne's other works!

Anya82
02-28-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm not very into books... but I love "The Secret Garden", Frances Hodgson Burnett

Many people find it boring, but i just like the magical, innocent feeling of the story

wheelchairman
02-28-2005, 11:08 AM
The Wheel of Time Saga by Robert Jordan.

Izie
02-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Still haven't read anything to top The Poessessed by Dostoyevsky, because it's insanely heavy/difficult/sad/insane, and because it left me hysterical for three days after I've finished it. Most of his books had that effect on me, but this one, definitely the most so far.

I'm a fan of the Russians, so I also go with Tolstoy, Checkov, Bulgakov, and Pushkin, if you like poets. And the name spelling is prolly wrong.

Serbian (Yugoslavian really, I don't know their actual nationality) authors would be Ivo Andrić, Borislav Pekić, Miloš Crnjanski, and others I can't remember now.

Random others: Balzac (I liked what I read, wasn't that much though), Hugo (same thing), I pretty much loved Shakespeare's comedies, as well as Wilde's, and Wilde's other stories were amazing too. Also Jules Verne for kiddie books, wooo! Yah, and I forgot Dickens, I like him a lot too! Edit 2: also Poe, Yates (read insanely little, but loved nevertheless).

There's more, but I'm senile/lazy. I need to brush up a bit, and then I'll prolly remember more.

the_GoDdEsS
02-28-2005, 11:16 AM
J.W.Goethe (Faust, The Sorrows of Young Werther)
Oscar Wilde (everything, I've read a lot)
W. Shakespeare (everything I've read except Richard II which bored me)
George Orwell (Animal Farm, 1984)
John Fowles (The Collector - awesome book)
J.D. Salinger (Catcher in the Rye, and his short stories are excellent)
E. Hemingway (A Farewell to Arms)
William Styron (Sophie's Choice)
David Lodge (Changing Places - hilarity)
Samuel Beckett (Waiting for Godot)
Charles Dickens (I liked Christmas Carol better than Oliver)
Toni Morrison (Beloved - just a beautiful postmodernist novel)
some Victor Hugo and Charles Baudelaire

and I forget who else! Those are just a few I remember I liked.

Goki
02-28-2005, 11:29 AM
The Catcher In The Rye - J.D. Salinger [<3. every must read it. yes.]
Sofie's World - J. Gaarder
Brave New World - A. Huxley

I don't really read much.... not in these days. *sigh*

Dive
02-28-2005, 12:44 PM
I really like James Baldwin. Notes of a Native Son is some of the most beautiful writing I've ever come across. Every little paragraph is so intense.

I've read Giovanni's Room by him; it was beautifully written.

Some of my favorite writers: Jean Genet, Jean-Paul Sartre, Albert Camus, Franz Kafka, Goethe, Voltaire, Shakespeare, Søren Kierkegaard, David Lodge, Marcel Proust, Wallace Stevens, Rainer Maria Rilke, Dostoevsky, Thomas Mann, Charles Brockden Brown and some others.

Nina
02-28-2005, 01:32 PM
hmm...right now its still Douglas Adams, i just adore everything
i have read by him so far. // i also really liked The Great Gatsby.

oh Simona, you are crazy for liking Goethe. i cant get over it!!

Noodles is gay
02-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Favourite book:
Oscar Wilde The picture of Dorian Grey

Favourite plays:
Euripides The Bacchae
Shakespeare A midsummer night's dream

Others (mainly classical i'm afraid):
Apuleius - The golden ass
Homer - Odyssey
Aristophanes - all his plays
Aeschylus
Sophocles (esp. Oedipus the King)
Ovid
Plato
Terry Pratchett (esp. the guard ones)
Stephen King

Titus
02-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Paul reiser - babyhood
Dan Brown - Angels & demons - the best book ever

Troiden
02-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Science fiction, especially about space and universe: Allen, Asimov
; Golovachev and Snegov from Russia. Good fantasy such as Tolkien or Roger Zelazny is nice too. Some years ago I was interested in X-Files.
PS. Sorry my bad english.

offspringrammsteinfan
03-01-2005, 12:08 AM
my favourite books: Lord of the rings 1+2+3, the hobbit, kruistocht in spijkerbroek, harry potter 1 to 5 and imsonia

My favourite writhers: J.R.R Tolkien, Stephen King and Rowling "that harry potter shit is cool"

ninth
03-01-2005, 12:14 AM
RL Stine - Goosebumps
Laugh Out Louds

offspringrammsteinfan
03-01-2005, 12:16 AM
RL Stine - Goosebumps
Laugh Out Louds

wait I thought rl stine was a dutch guy, guess I was wrong :confused: , but I liked those books when I was like eleven. :)

OffspringInOz
03-01-2005, 02:19 AM
Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis. :)

Inshane
03-01-2005, 03:56 AM
like someone said earlier, the catcher in the rye - J.D. Salinger. my all time favorite, read it about 10 times.
And one that really helped me was The circle of life - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross.

HornyPope
03-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Every author has a special meaning to my life for during its respective period. I don't think I can even start breaking them down to favourites. I used to be able before; now it seems like a much harder task.

Trip Boy
03-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Edgar allen poe.

SeanAshmore
03-01-2005, 08:54 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Chuck Palahniuk. He wrote Fight Club before it was turned into a movie. He has also written Invisible monstors, Survivor, Choke, Lullaby and Diary (those are his fiction novels), all of which I would say are as good if not better than Fight Club and most of them are also being made into movies.

Max Barry, who wrote Jennifer Government and Syrup, I havn't gotten to read Syrup yet because it's not sold in the UK, however JG is amazing.

Arthur Miller's 'Death Of A Salesman'.
Sophocles Theban plays (oedipus Rex etc)
Douglas Adams (A trilogy in five parts)lol, always good for a laugh.
Harper Lee (to kill a mockingbird)
Shakespeare (anything)
J.D Salinger (For Esme with love and Squalor)
George Orwell (1984)
Stephen Donaldson (the thomas covenant chronicles)

These are all books I read over and over again and never get bored with, especially the Chuck Palahniuk.

Trip Boy
03-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Harry Potter.

offspringrammsteinfan
03-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Harry Potter.

:) harry is great, but our president (you know I'm from holland) looks so much on him and our president is an asshole.. So that confuses me so much :confused:

dexterisMYman
03-01-2005, 11:38 AM
dude no Harry Potter

Trip Boy
03-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Whats wrong with that?

offspringrammsteinfan
03-01-2005, 11:41 AM
that guy thinks it's immature *want to place a bet*, I also bet he didn't read the books cause he wanted to look punk!! whahaa, also place a bet he is a loser? ;)

dexterisMYman
03-01-2005, 11:42 AM
that guy thinks it's immature *want to place a bet*, I also bet he didn't read the books cause he wanted to look punk!! whahaa, also place a bet he is a loser? ;)
#1 i actually read all of them and used to like them. #2 im not a man

offspringrammsteinfan
03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
#1 i actually read all of them and used to like them. #2 im not a man

So tell me what's wrong with the books, there might be something wrong with the movies *not in my eyes, but hell...* but the books are very great.. And I don't care if it's hot to like it... I also don't care if fried chicken might be a bad thing to eat.

dexterisMYman
03-01-2005, 11:46 AM
im just not into fantacy books. oh and if somethings"hot" i dont care.

offspringrammsteinfan
03-01-2005, 11:50 AM
im just not into fantacy books. oh and if somethings"hot" i dont care.

Alright, thanks for saying that cause that changed my bad vieuw about you... But my opinion is saying "fantacy and horror books are the greatest", and horror has to read like it could happen real, like stephen king writhes history.

Subsidal
03-05-2005, 12:33 AM
My favorite author is Stephen King, but my favorite book is Shadows by Tom Bowler.